[SP-F2] Hardening of the spirit <<Breaking the Unbreakable>> (Complete)

Kurou hadn't spent much time on the second floor before he began hearing rumors of a quest that granted the ability to use your fists in combat. Having only a limited knowledge about how item durability worked in this game. Kurou decided that having a back up form of attack wouldn't be a terrible idea. 

Setting out in search of the NPC, it wasn't long before he came across a balding old man on the side of the road. Listening to him talk, he told Kurou a tale of a large stone boulder located on this floor that could only be broken through sheer force of will. Interesting he thought. Quickly accepting the quest from the NPC, Kurou set out in search of the boulder.

Coming to the end of a long road, he stood face to face with a giant boulder that blocked his path. This must be what the NPC was referring to he thought to himself. Taking off his jacket, he folded it nicely before placing it on the ground. Raising his arms high into, Kurou qave his muscles a quick stretch before walking over to take a closer look at the boulder. I know the man said it could only be broken by force of will, but there must be some trick to it he though as he walked around the front of the boulder. Hoisting himself on top of the rock, he attempted to inspect the rest of what was visible of the boulder. Maybe the man was right, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary, so maybe I just need to hit it till it breaks. Sliding down the front of the boulder, Kurou gave his knuckles a quick crack before punching the boulder as hard as he could. Reeling in pain from the punch, he was sure he had just broken his hand. What gives!?!? how is this supposed to work if I'm going to break my hand punching this damn thing!

" A punch it seems is to advanced for you think you should start with a hand thrust. Square yourself off with the boulder, generate your power from your feet and carry it across your body, striking through the boulder with the palm of your hand."

Hearing his voice, it was just then that Kurou noticed that the old man was now standing beside him. "Are you supposed to be my sensei or something?" He asked the old man.

"Never mind who I am, just listen up and do what I tell you." the old man replied.

Lining his body up with the boulder, he did just as the old man instructed him to do. Thrusting his palm forward with all his might, he felt the server pain of his hand contacting the rocks surface once again. This time however a small crack formed on the upper right hand side of the boulder.

ID: 18065 BD: 10

Palm Strikes- 1/5

"Very good, but one successful strike doesn't make you a master, nor does it break this work. You're going to need to repeat this several times."

"Understood" he said replying to the NPC. Squatting down into a deep stance, he squared himself up with the boulder once again. Rotating his foot as he pushed it into the ground, generating the initial source of power for the strike. He allowed the momentum to flow through his body and into the boulder as his palm stuck the rock. Watching as another small crack began to form on the upper left hand side of the boulder, he was glad to see that this was working. Inspecting his hand though, he noticed his hand had begun to bleed.

ID: 18066 BD: 7

Palm Strikes- 2/5

Gearing up for another strike, Kurou shook off the pain and returned to his proper stance. Starting the strike from his feet like he did on the previous two, the impending pain that he knew was coming caused him to flinch just before hitting the boulder. Watching closely he saw no change in the boulder after the hit.

"Like I told you before" said the old man "The only way to break this boulder is through sheer force of will, if it's a little pain your scared of you've come to the wrong place."

Looking down at his palm, even the half hearted strike had caused further damage to his hand.

ID: 18067 BD: 4

Palm Strikes- 2/5

Deciding that he would try and switch hands, Kurou attempted to replicate the proper from he had used during the first two strikes, only on the left side of his body. Not ambidextrous however, the strike was awkward and off balance, resulting in no damage being down to the boulder.

"I keep telling you, there is no way around it. If you want to complete this quest your going to have to embrace the pain and focus your energy."

Knowing that the old man was right, Kurou tried to summon up the courage to embrace the pain of the strikes.

ID: 18069 BD:2

Palm Strikes 2/5

His hand bloody and bruised, he softly placed the flat of his palm against the rock. Closing his eyes he tried to clear his mind and forget about the pain. Once he had reached a zin like trance, he slowly pulled his hand away from the rock before thrusting it forward once again with all of his might. In tune with the power of the strike, he felt that he was able to sense a change in the inner core of the boulder. What is this? he thought to himself It's a power like nothing I've felt before, I feel in-tune with the boulder itself.

ID: 18070 BD: 6

Palm Strikes- 3/5

Backing away from the boulder, Kurou took a minute to inspect the rock. Placing both his hands and his ear against it, he tried to reach the same level of in-tunement he had when finishing that last strike.

"Just what in the blazes are you doing son, your supposed to hit the rock, not hug it." he said watching as the player laid up against the boulder.

Pushing himself off of the rock, he prepared himself to execute another strike on the boulder

ID: 18071 BD: 5

Palm Strikes- 3/5

The palm of his hand now black from the bruising caused from striking the rock. Kurou massaged his hand gently attempting to rub some of the pain out of it. As he ran his thumb over the meat of his palm, he could feel the welts beginning to form within his palm. I'm going to feel this tomorrow he thought to himself. Squatting down, he once again closed his eyes and thrust his hand upon the rock.

"Very good, one more strike should do it." said the old man.

ID: 18072 BD: 8

Palm Strikes- 4/5

Watching as blood dripped from his hand onto the ground, Kurou could barely stand to make a first. Listening to his knuckles pop and feeling the welts move underneath his skin as he tried to send the pain away. He wasn't sure if he had one more strike in him. Maybe this old guy is just messing with me he thought to himself. After all, how much sense does it make to hit a rock. Looking over to the old man, he spoke up about his feelings. "You really think one more is going to do? After all this is a solid rock."

"Of course one more hit won't break this rock, but it will set you up for the next step in breaking the rock" the old man replied.

Standing there, Kurou started to think about if he wanted to continue with this.

ID: 18085 BD: 1

Deciding that he would try to strike the rock with his off hand once again. He slammed his left hand into the boulder, not feeling like he accomplished anything with the hit. He repeatedly slammed his off hand into the boulder until it was as black and blue as his main hand. "What gives?" he asked out loud.

"I already told you that's not going to work." the old man answered "You haven't mastered the technique yet with your main hand, what makes you think you can do it with your off hand?"

Kurou knew the man was right, if he couldn't get this thing done with his strong hand, what chance did he have with his weak hand?

ID: 18086 BD: 5

Taking a deep breath in, he pried his stiff fingers out straight and lined up for the strike. Unleashing all the strength that he could manage he slammed his palm into the boulder. Watching as a giant crack formed diagonally across the rock, Kurou thought for a minute that the boulder might crack in two, sadly it didn't. "Alright then.... What do I need to do next?" he asked.

"Next your going to need to unleash two powerful front kicks on the right side of the rock. I'll be watching to give you pointers on your form and tell you what your doing wrong." the old man replied.

ID: 18087 BD: 7

Palm Strikes- 5/5

Strolling over to the right side of the rock, Kurou was relieved to be able to use a different part of his body besides his hands. Quickly taking the time to stretch out his legs, he wasn't sure exactly what form he should be using. Deciding that he would copy a scene out of an old time movie, he lined himself up with the rock and quickly thrust his leg forward into it. Feeling the vibrations of the hit all the way up to his waist, he thought he might have just given himself an impinged hip. By the time I finish with this quest I'm going to have the body of a 90 year old he thought to himself.

Walking the pain of the kick off, he saw the crack on the front of the boulder had widened a bit with the hit.

ID: 18089 BD: 10

Front Kicks- 1/2

Kurou stood there for a moment kicking his leg out attempting to pop his hip, before shortly giving up and walking back over to his position on the right side of the boulder. Giving his leg one last good shake, he thrust it forward once again into the rock. Hearing a loud cracking noise, he witnessed as a second diagonal crack formed within the boulder. Looking at it from a straight on angle, it appeared as if someone had carved an x in the face of it.

"Very good" said the old man "Now on to the last part, you are going to have to punch the boulder square on in the center of the x. When the boulder eventually gives way and breaks you will have completed the quest."

"But how many strikes will it take?" Kurou asked the man.

"That answer is dependent upon the strength of the warrior" the old man answered.

ID: 18090 BD: 7

Front Kicks- 2/2

Balling his hand up into a tight fist, Kurou was unsure if he would ever be able to straighten his fingers back out. The pain in his hand was at this point, unimaginable. Lining up his first punch, he rocked his arm back and fourth before letting out a deep roar and slamming his fist into the boulder. Sensing a shift in the rock as his blow landed, he hoped that it wouldn't take many more of those. His knuckles now bleeding and in pain, he wondered if he would even be able to wield a sword after this.

ID: 18092 BD: 10

Gearing up for the next blow, Kurou decided it was better to get it over fast like taking off a band-aid. Slamming his fist into the boulder once again, the rock cracked once again, this time vertically down the middle.

"There you go kid, your almost there, keep at it" The old man knowing how much pain the player must be in from slamming his hands against the rock decided that he would offer some words of encouragement to help him along.

"Why won't this thing break already!?!" Kurou responded.

ID: 18098 BD: 6

Unleashing his fury upon the rock, he swung his fist yet again at the boulder. Missing the sweet spot by a few inches in his rage. He was disappointed to see no change in the durability of the rock.

"Hmm, well with that crack down the middle you could always try a karate chop. Must just do the trick to split the thing in half." the old man stated deciding he would pitch in with some advice.

"A karate chop!?!?" exclaimed Kurou, why did it have to be another attack evolving my hands  he thought with almost no enthusiasm.

ID: 18099 BD: 3

Taking a moment to pump himself up before attempting to finish off the monstrosity of a boulder. Grabbing some dirt off the ground he rubbed it into his hands hoping to once again easy away the pain. At least this will require me to use a different part of my hand he thought to himself.

"Are you going to sit there rubbing dirt on yourself all day, or are you going to bust this rock in half?" the old man taunted as he tired of watching him stall.

"Relax old man, your not the one his has been slamming his hands against a rock all day."  Kurou replied.

Climbing up on top of the boulder, Kurou felt that he was only going to have one shot at this. After all day of slamming his body parts into this rock, he felt tired and broken. Whatever developer came up with the idea for this quest is a sick bastard he thought to himself. Even if it hadn't been for the pain, just the idea of standing in one place punching a rock was boring. One thing that is for sure, is that this is one quest that I won't be retaking.

"Just hurry up and hit the d*** thing" the old man yelled out.

Jeeze, I though teachers were supposed to be patient and understanding he thought to himself.

Finally ready to attempt the strike, Kurou decided that this would be the last time he hit the rock. If it failed he would give up on the quest, if it was successful then he would have nothing to worry about. Placing his hand down where he planned to strike, Kurou took several deep breaths in. Pushing off with both of his feet, he leaped high into the air. Coming back down with all of his force, Kurou drove his arm straight down into the boulder. 

As everything froze for a minute, he thought he had failed. To his surprise however, time managed to catch back up with his movements and the might boulder crumbled to the ground.

"Yes!!!" he exclaimed out loud at the success of his attack.

ID: 18103 BD: 10