[SP-F1] He can Art? «Earning a Living» {Completed}

Today was a day for Jia to rest, and for good reason. Fighting on a daily basis was more than stressful, and it showed up in the form of dark circles under his eyes from all the nightmarish boar mauling that happened whenever he tried to get some decent sleep. To think that boars, equivalent to slimes in other games, were something he feared was a sickening notion, his most obvious reaction to the very thought being a tight knot right in his stomach. To take his mind off of the less than pleasant events that remain in the back of his mind, Jia chose to sightsee in the massive Starting City he resided in for now. Quite a few sights that were not in the direct path of obviousness were found here and there, seemingly easter eggs in this game that resulted in true death. Before he even knew it, the sun was starting its slow descent past the horizon, a slew of oranges, reds, and yellows blending together in a chaotic mess that emanated beauty and tranquility. Choosing to admire such a thing, Jia sat on a marble bench, the time slowly trickling by. As the sun neared its half-point, he noticed someone nearby who seemed to be painting the image on a canvas. Each and every brushstroke that was observed made the image bolder until it was almost exactly like the sunset itself. The colors blended together smoothly and seamlessly, no harsh lines or curves interfering with its beauty. The simple combination of fabric and paint crafted an image frozen in time, and Jia was able to witness every last second of its creation. As he watched the final brushstroke finish the very image he had viewed, the sun went past the horizon and set completely.

It seemed the painter had not noticed Jia, and so Jia walked up to the mysterious person, noting the tools they used. It seemed like a fun job, and quite relaxing as well. Noting how the person was an NPC due to the symbol over their head, Jia decided to complement the artist's job while gaining their attention at the same time.

Trying to look less scary with his usual glowering face, he took a breath and spoke, "Your art is amazing. Can you teach me how to do that?"

The artist slowly put down their tools and seemed to be cleaning up, the canvas being set slowly against the side wall, the easel being folded up and the tools being packed up in a case. He - or rather, she - turned and met his gaze with a smile. It seemed his honest flattery had actually managed to catch the attention of the artist and resulted in their full cooperation. Immediately, the floating yellow exclamation point became a question mark instead. Wiping her hands on her apron and leaving smears of the sunset, the artist spoke.

"Well. I can't just go giving away my secrets to someone random now, can I? I'll think about it. Maybe you could do some stuff for me while you're at it? I'll get to know you a bit better, and then maybe I could trust you with my tricks," she stated quite simply though with eloquence nonetheless.

A screen with a decent number of tasks appeared before himself, and it seemed that the result would be to become an artisan. It wasn't a question of whether or not Jia would accept because the other professions didn't seem interesting to him. Art was his calling, and so he tapped the blue button with the "O". The quest was immediately set into motion, and his first task was assisting the NPC with her tools of the trade. Lifting the box and making sure nothing was broken in the process, the took the painting as well while making sure he didn't end up smearing the beautiful painting. The first task specifically was to help her, Maleri as she was named, bring back everything to the shop she ran without breaking anything. The walk was probably going to take quite a while.

As their feet clacked on the stone bricks that were laid out to create the simple roads the two walked on, the lamps of the city lit up, illuminating the area slightly, and throwing everything back to how it would be in the 18th and 19th century. It was pleasant, and the first time that Jia had ever been out that late in the game. The rest of the time at night was usually spent sleeping, or at least trying to. Across the stones the two went, turns being taken here and there.

"Mind telling me more about yourself? There isn't much for me to say really. I'm just another humble artisan that works her trade in the city. Oh, but I can say that my name means art in my father's language."  Maleri ventured with a conversation. It was probably an optional part of the quest, but Jia happily responded. She was an NPC after all. There wouldn't be any harm in telling her details that would be quickly forgotten the moment the quest ended.

Finding a point to start, he decided it would be best to begin with his condition. "The biggest problem with me would be that I have dementia. I forget events and other things. So I can't remember my real father or mother, or anyone after a few years at all. It's a really sad thing, but I don't need pity for it."

At that, she stopped suddenly.

"Oh. I know you said you didn't want pity, but I can't help but feel that you're unfortunate. You go out almost every day to fight, don't you? You have so much weight on your shoulders, yet you still manage. That's admirable."

Jia stopped himself from laughing aloud. He was absolutely amused by what she had just said. Since long ago, his so-called "weights" were thrown away entirely considering he would forget about them, and they were always going to be a burden anyways. In the process of that, he burned away much of his defining morals, replacing them with a shell. It was hard to admit, but he was one soulless person.

"Oh no. I don't have that much weight on me. I threw that all away. It's better to keep moving unencumbered. I would just forget my luggage anyways, so it would be better to get rid of it of my own free will than to regret losing it later."

Their progress continued again, and Maleri was quiet. Possibly too quiet about what Jia had just stated, but that was fine with him. If an NPC didn't like it, it didn't really matter. He would never say anything about himself to actual people anyways.

As they kept walking, Jia began to wonder if this was a test. He probably had to say more than he already had, and the points for being a pitiful being were already lost. He'd need to be a redeeming person then. Time to give away some more details about himself.

"Speaking of parents, my mom and dad aren't my real parents. I was adopted by them after I probably got lost. I've been living with them for a while, and they worry about my condition. It's nice to know that there are people out there that worry for me, but I really don't need it. Earlier, I meant to say that I've come to terms with myself. The metaphor with throwing away luggage wasn't the best description."

"It's the same with me. The father I told you about. He adopted me. My own parents probably died out there somewhere, or maybe they just didn't want me. Old pops just found me on his doorstep one day, and that's when I became his daughter."

The conversation seemed to be heading in a good direction, albeit a bit depressing for Jia to listen to. Maleri's tone was becoming somewhat forced, and she sounded to be somewhat in pieces as something bad was definitely recalled.

"He just vanished one day. He told me to watch the store when he was gone to get some things, and just vanished. I haven't seen him since. Not even once did I even get a word about his whereabouts. After a month or two, I just gave up on him being alive. Even now I wish I could just forget."

Finishing, Maleri broke down, wiping at tears with her sleeves. Jia didn't have any free hands, so he could do much to comfort her or support her in any way. He would have preferred to place an understanding hand on her shoulder, but he wasn't able to with all the things he was carrying. There was only one thing he could really say.

"I'll find out what happened. It sounds impossible, but I'll do it. I'll find him while I help you. In that way, I can kill two birds with one stone."

The artisan nodded, falling silent and lamenting about the past. Jia, on the other hand, was puzzling over how he would go at the issue. It was a really problematic task he just added to his quest. Reaching the shop, Jia assisted Maleri with her stuff and placed the real handful of tools down where she specified. The inside of the shop was actually quite spacious, were it not for the countless works that were strewn about the place, covering surfaces and every inch of the wall. Contemporary, realist, and so on, both 2D and 3D works reflected the different styles of art there were, including some that Jia couldn't even hope to name.

It was quite late, considering the sky had darkened completely, and Jia bid farewell to the owner of the shop. Going out the door, Maleri suddenly grabbed the back of his coat, stopping him from leaving.

"Wait," she said, "It's really late now and I probably won't be able to get up early. Could you get some materials for painting and sculptures? I'm running low. I'll make it up to you for doing that all."

There was a quest update, the screen notifying Jia of his new task. Gathering enough materials for painting and sculpting, along with possibly catching wind of Maleri's father.

"I'll do that for you. I have nothing better to do anyways tomorrow, besides fight, and fighting is really stressful. I have a question to ask before I leave. What's your father's name?"

Silent for a moment with downcast eyes, the artist looked up at Jia once more and stated a single word, "Dietrich."

Jia nodded at the simple response and left, slightly fatigued but ready to get some rest for the next day.

My god my effort is really going down faster than my grades

The next day, Jia set out as he normally would, feeling as though he was missing something important. Eh. No matter. He went ahead and initiated combat with a boar, Unsheathing his dagger and holding it in reverse. He had decided, reverse grip allowed for ease of slashing while running by, and stabbing every now and then. If he really needed to, he could just flip the grip around in a single movement. Running forwards, he slashed at the boar, testing out the waters of the ways he held the blade. There was a satisfying squeal from the boar as the cut hit its target.

ID: 18944

BD: 6

DMG: 1+1=2

Boar: 5/7

Tokki: 13/13

The boar targeted Jia at this point and rushed at him. Jia, being that he was quick on his feet at this moment, jumped to the side right as the boar charged at him. The tusks missed him by a mere two inches or so. Running on, it realized that Jia was not hit and stopped, sliding a bit on the ground and flattening some grass. Throwing its head around in frustration, the beast turned around and faced Jia head on.

ID: 18945

MD: 1

Boar: 5/7

Dashing forwards to cover the distance the moment the boar began to turn, Jia sped up with each step, his blade held with the point directly facing the boar. Leaping, he put both hands on the handle of the blade. Putting all his force into it, he brought it into the head of the boar, right in between the eyes, dealing a large chunk of damage. Sliding the blade out, he kicked off the boar's hide, landing a meter or so before the boar. That was all sheer luck, and Jia sorely hoped it wouldn't run out just yet.

ID: 18946

BD: 10

DMG: 1+1+2=4

Boar: 1/7

Landing right in the path of the boar was a mistake, Jia realized, as the beast ran right into him. Every action of the attack was smart, except for the end. Ending up as an easy target, the boar rammed him. Unfortunately, he was trampled as well, as he was immediately stuck beneath the boar and ended up being stepped on by the heavy beast. Getting up, there was a decent amount of damage dealt, but Jia was fine for the most part.

ID: 18947

MD: 9

Boar: 1/7

Tokki: 11/13

Ignoring the fact that he was starting to get jittery from the fight, he took his dagger and once more ran at the boar. The creature likewise turned at him and ran, but Jia was tricky. Instead of allowing the boar to run at him head on, Jia altered his path ever so slightly, moving to the side. Sticking the blade out, he ran the boar through with a single cut, the beast bursting into a sparkling shower of shards. Jia didn't realize when, but it seemed that the boar had cut him in the side earlier as well.

ID: 18948

BD: 10

DMG: 1+1+2=4

Boar: -3/7

Tokki: 9/13

After that short and successful battle without any misses, a results screen showed up for Jia. He had received one material, but no items or extra things. Seemed his luck ran out. Looking at the fact that he received a single piece of material, it reminded him of the quest he had to complete. He needed to find the whereabouts of the old man, along with gather some materials. It was really troublesome.

ID: 18950

LD: 10

No Loot

1 material

Looking around, there were definitely a few plants, but not the kind he was looking for. They weren't good for pigmentation, and definitely not for sculpting.

ID: 18951

LD: 12

Failure

Looking around some more, there was nothing at all to see. It was like his luck had dried up, because as far as he could see, none of the plants were good to make paint or ink.

ID: 18952

LD: 6

Failure

Searching a bit more for something that could be used for art, Jia stops, realizing he was going at this the wrong way. He had to think more openly, rather than just simply looking around for specific objects.

ID: 18953

LD: 8

Failure

Examining the plants closer, he still did not see anything colorful. It was all just plain old grass that couldn't be harvested for any purpose, except to be grass. He didn't have a need for it.

ID: 18957

LD: 2

Failure

Choosing to change location considering this was actually a pretty bad spot to pick materials, Jia once again found the large rocks he had seen around much earlier. Looking at the bases of each large stone, it seemed that there were chippings every now and then of the stone, and so Jia walked around looking. There was one slab that seemed to be pretty good for some small sculpture, so he took it.

ID: 18958

LD: 16

Success (+1 material)

Looking around the area some more, there weren't any more stones chunks of the same caliber for usage, so Jia ceased looking in the area. Maybe he'd go back later to check on the place, but the likelihood of there being other materials in the area was actually pretty low.

ID: 18959

LD: 8

Failure

A slightly forested area was entered, and Jia began to forage for more materials. If he remembered correctly, berries could be used in the process of making paint, so he went ahead to look for good berries. There was a pretty good bush, and he began to pluck berries to see how lucky he'd be with the effort. The first berry he tried was already bad, and wasn't viable for usage.

ID: 18960

LD: 4

Failure

The next few berries he plucked were useless as well, until he came to find a few that were quite good. He took the berries and placed it into his inventory for safekeeping.

ID: 18961

Success (+1 Material)

The next few he picked were far too small, and seemed unripe for picking. The fact that the juice that came from squeezing one was not the right color confirmed the fact.

ID: 18962

LD: 3

Failure

Plucking som more from the bush, it was starting to look a bit empty at this point. Jia was able to get lucky before the bush pretty much ran out of berries to give out. The last batch was pretty good, so he at least had enough to possibly make paint with.

ID: 18963

Success (+1 material) 

Turning around, Jia did not expect there to be a bear. Because of this, he stared at the beast that was snuffling for berries, and realized that he probably just plucked the bush dry of the very thing that the beast was here to eat. Were there even supposed to be bears on this level? To his knowledge, there wasn't supposed to be anything here besides the boars and possibly wolves. The bear just stood there, idly. Jia thought it best to attack it, considering he'd probably be mauled trying to get away. Slowly drawing his knife so that it would not make too much of a noise as it slid out of the sheathe, Jia ran at the bear that was standing on its hind legs and stabbed it in the stomach area. The bear managed to make a swipe at Jia, which threw him back a bit with a gash.

ID: 18965

BD: 9

MD: 8

DMG: 1+1+1=3

DMG: 1

Bear: 6/9

Tokki: 8/13

Moving in to strike at the bear once more, the gash prevented him fro doing so accurately. The blade fell short of its target when he slashed, not even managing to hit the bear anywhere at all. It was a really problematic thing too, considering the bear was ready to strike. With a simple swipe, it hit Jia once more, sending him flying back.

ID: 18966

BD: 4

Bear: 6/9

Tokki: 6/13