[SP-F1] Baby Steps <<Blades of Dreams>>

The path had proved to be fruitless so far, but given how much of the forest he'd covered, it wasn't enough to deter him from looking just yet. He was moving faster now though; covering more ground with each step he took. He could see better as well, both down the path and to his sides. It would be unlikely another monster would get the drop on him, he imagined. Takao kept a keen look out for any objects of interest.

A rock up ahead had caught his eye. He jogged up to it and placed his hand on the surface. A wide smile grew on his face as he read the prompt, but the smile soon turned to a pout.

“Aw... I had no idea there could be faulty crafting materials...†He grumbled to himself as he stood up and gave the stone a light kick as it disappeared. “Guess I'll just have to keep looking.â€

»ID: [22727]

»LD: [1]

“Yes! Finally!†Takao held up the last ingredient he needed, a lump of iron ore. It disappeared into his inventory to accompany its brother ore and the carbon ore he'd obtained earlier in his excursion. With one final check of the map, he broke into a sprint, jumping into the air and thrusting his clenched fist upward. “New sword, here I come!â€

The trip out of the forest was made in record time. If there was a stamina bar, he'd surely depleted it by now and even then some, but the excitement coursing through his bones carried him anywhere. From the forest, he'd entered some plains, and his pace had slowed to a hasty walk. Every so often he would wave to a passing player. The plains were a much better place to fight. Less obstructions, clear indication of where enemies are... He'd definitely have to grind here later. With the town in sight, he was eager to complete the quest.

»ID: [22728]

»LD: [18]

The doors to the smithy flung open. Takao entered and hurried up to the counter as the door shut behind him. He saw the NPC smith where she was the last time he'd been here. She turned to greet him with a smile, to which he met with a wide one of his own.

» Hey there, Takao! Did'ya manage to get all the items I need for your sword?

“Ayup! Got 'em all right here!†He pointed at his chest with a thumb. The NPC nodded and a menu appeared in front of Takao. He read over the contents; information about the quest, its requirements, and the reward. Nothing he didn't already know about. He pressed «accept» and glanced back up to the NPC.

» Excellent! Hold on just a minute while I get to work!

The NPC moved back to her forge and gathered up the three items. She opened a menu in front of the burning forge and, in a flash, the three items disappeared. In their place was a single glowing bar of metal. She shuffled through more menus as she moved to red-hot bar to the anvil with a set of tongs. A smith's hammer materialized in her hand, which she then touched to the metal with a loud pang.

A few strokes later, and the sword was finished. She picked it up and walked back over to Takao and set it on the counter in front of him. He eyes widened and his smile grew. It was everything he wanted and more – so much more.

» There you go! One brand new sword, custom tailored to your description! Enjoy!

He reached out and grasped the handle, then raised the blade up to examine it. It wasn't too heavy for one handed use but still carried enough mass for his strikes to be useful. The edges were polished and reflective metal, dark grey detailing down the spine of the blade adding contrast. The oval-shaped handle, wrapped in leather, felt natural in his hands. He spun on his heel and gave the blade a few test swings, then turned back to smile at the NPC.

“Thanks a bunch! Seeya!†With that, he left the store, eager to put his new sword to the test.