[SP - F3] The Daily Grind

[Combat Sequence]

Takao

Stray Kobold

Two blades clashed, the sounds of clanging metal rang out across the otherwise quiet prairie. Takao's blade slid along the edge of the Kobold's own curved sword, and after a momentary stalemate, both humanoids leapt back, just out of reach of each other. The Kobold swung first, his arm cocked back for a wide and broad swing. Takao parried the blow to the side, using the Kobold's excessive momentum against it to create an opening. He pulled his arm back and held the blade over his shoulder. It hummed lowly and glowed green, prompting the use of a sword art. Takao jumped and swung his left leg forward, twisting his body and sending his sword toward the scaled shoulder of the Kobold. It caught and dug in deep, slicing clean through the digital flesh. Takao landed behind the Kobold and swung its sword around, trying to catch Takao while he was behind him. In response, the Kobold's brown-haired assailant reversed his grip on the sword and blocked the swing.

»ID: [23169]

»BD: [10] (+2 critical damage)

»MD: [2 – 1 = 1]

«Takao»

» [[HP : 7/15]]

«Kobold»

» [[HP : 5/10]]

[Combat Sequence]

Takao

Stray Kobold

Takao landed less than a foot behind the Kobold with finesse. His sword lost its green glow following the completion of the sword art, and Takao smiled. The acrobatics of Sword Art Online hadn't come easy to him at first. Jumping felt unnatural with strength in his legs he never could have dreamed up. He wasn't leaping over buildings with a single bound, not by any means, but it was definitely... inhuman. Supernatural, even. He had never cared much for gymnastics or acrobatics in the real world either, but he'd have to change that once the game was cleared, because he was enjoying it almost too much.

The Kobold swung at him in response to his damaging of it, and Takao reacted fast. His grip left the sword for a split second as his position changed, reversing so that the blade was pressed against his forearm as the scimitar struck. It dealt no damage, his weapon took the brunt of the force, but it did give him a perfect opportunity to attack. Takao batted the Kobold's weapon away and turned about face, then rammed his blade straight through the Kobold and its weak, leather armour. It erupted into a flash of shapes before disappearing, leaving only Takao and his blade where it once stood. A menu appeared, experience and a crafting material were gained, and he wiped his forehead. Following that menu was a second, informing him of his new level of seven.

“That was the first humanoid monster I've fought so far.†He thought to himself, having long since resigned to the much less entertaining method of beating back his lack of companionship. His eyes moved to the top left corner of his screen, taking notice of his health. It hadn't recovered any since his fight with the bull, but he hadn't taken any damage either. “'n I didn't even take a hit. Guess that means I must be getting' pretty good!†In a display of confidence he twirled his blade around his hand. It left his grip and flew into the air, and his hand extended toward it as if it had been his intention, but it ultimately fell to the ground. He exhaled a sigh and picked it up, slid it into its scabbard, and continued on his way.

»ID: [23172]

»BD: [10] (+2 critical damage)

»MD: [7 - 1 = 1]

«Takao»

» [[HP : 7/15]]

«Kobold»

» [[HP : 0/10]]

+1 Material

With his health having returned to full following his level up, he decided that grinding on monsters could take a break. Takao had resigned to the much less entertaining process of gathering materials. He knew oh so little about the art of crafting, but he knew that these rare things he would find every so often had to be of some value. If not for himself then they would surely be of use to a crafter. Plus, he might even be able to meet some new faces and make some new friends, which was reason enough for him. So for now, he would avoid the few mobs that remained in the prairie, and instead focus on locating materials. An odd plant with strange, fluffy white growths lay before him. “Cotton? I bet that's a material for tailoring.†He reached out and took a few of the bolls of cotton. “Since I'm going for light armour, I should get a bunch of this stuff. Since Lowenthal is a tailor, he could probably use this. Then maybe I can get some real good armour.â€

»ID: [23172]

»LD: [15]

+1 Material

Emerald hued eyes glanced up at the sky. He'd realized just how long he'd been at it upon realizing the position of the sun. Takao checked the menu and read the time, noting that it had past noon. He'd felt like he'd been at it for much longer, but then again, his perception of time had always been a bit hazy. He approached another cotton plant and picked the bolls from the stalk. When he'd collected all the resource node had to offer, it disappeared, and a window appeared in his face informing him of information he was already well away of.

»ID: [23193]

»LD: [19]

+1 Material

"18:32 ...Huh. I've been at this for longer than I thought." Takao rubbed the back of his head and glanced up at the sky for confirmation. Sure enough, the sun sat exactly where he'd expected it to at this time of day. It was late in the afternoon, on the verge of evening, and the sun had noticeably progressed in its path toward the horizon. He'd spent so much time on the prairie already that he figured he might as well stick around to catch the sunset. It wouldn't hurt to get some extra levels in, or even pick up some more crafting materials.

As if on cue with his thought process, he noticed an interesting looking plant. Takao knew better by now than to glance over every little oddity, simply passing them off as decoration in the incredibly deep and well developed world of Aincrad. No, he'd started checking most things that seemed to spark his interest, and he'd learned a lot. The bolls of cotton and deposits of ore were obvious, there wasn't much to learn from them. But plants like these were interesting. It was a broad leaved plant with a single stalk. Sitting atop the stalk was the flower, whose shape faintly reminded him of a rose, or perhaps something similar. He picked it from its stalk and read the menu prompt that appeared shortly thereafter. It was an item used for crafting healing items. Takao memorized the appearance of the flower, now interested in finding more.

»ID: [23231]

»LD: [19]

+1 Material