<<Long Live The Queen>> (Lessa)

I sit on an empty bench bent over the folded paper that is the quest for the wasp queen. 'I don't know what happened with Alucard, but I hope whatever it was it was important or he's dead to me' I crumble the paper up as I clench my hands. 'How could he just up and leave me like that?!' My vision blurs and I wipe the angry tears away with my balled up hand. 

"Great, now I'm all mad. . . And alone." I cringe at how depressed my voice sounded. 'I can't just sit here and mope the rest of my day away. I need to move on. But why does it hurt so much?'

Lessa had been in a hurry all day. She had hoped to spend the day grinding on her own, but a series of unexpected events had sent her scrambling to shops spread across numerous floors. Acquaintances had called on her for help, and she had had a difficult time saying no to them. So she had done their shopping for them, as quickly as humanly possible, all the while wearing an expression of pure annoyance. Why couldn't they have visited the shops themselves, and located the items that they had begged her to find? But it seemed that they planned to take full advantage of her "let me know if you ever need anything" offer. Why do I even bother?

But her pace slowed as the sound of soft whimpers reached her over the other noise. Her gaze tracked the sound to its source, a young girl who sat crying on a bench. All at once, Lessa's pent up anger dissolved into nothing but concern and tenderness. Tears had always been her weakness, and regardless of the situation, she felt a strange sense of responsibility to whoever was hurting.

"Hey," she greeted softly as she approached the girl. Asking her if she was okay would be a waste of time, as it was clear that she wasn't. So she said simply, "can I help?"

The sound of a woman's voice broke me from the dark thoughts looming in my head and I look up to see that she's beautiful. Even though the mirror effect showed us what we all look like in the real world everyone still seemed good looking but her beauty seemed to touch more than just the surface. I stat there kind of in awe for a few moments before I realized the awkwardness and I blinked the tears out of my eyes. I rub at my face a little in embarrassment sure that I was a mess. 

"Uh, hello." I bleat out between scrubbing my face. The look in her eyes were concerned and I couldn't help but feel I could trust her. 

"I'm not sure If you'd want to. My friend left me just as we were beginning an adventure and I feel like I've lost a limb." The heavy feeling in my chest lifted a little encouraging me to tell her more but I took a second to remember I'm not the star of this world. 'Not yet anyways

"But I'm feeling much better now that I've been graced by your kindness and concern." I stand up and turn towards her before bowing.

"Thank you. I feel better."

Oh my god. The girl looked up at Lessa, her big eyes rimmed with tears, and the blonde felt her chest tighten. This was the first time she had gotten a good look at the player, and when she did, she thought she might throw up. She's so young.

In reality, the girl was only four years younger than Lessa. But the innocence that painted her every move, her every word, made her appear so much younger. Lessa, on the other hand, looked much older than her twenty years. Her eyes, once as eager and trusting as hers, were tired. Her skin was deeply tanned, and often caked in dirt and grime, and she spent 90% of her waking hours in her armor. The game had changed her, whether she chose to acknowledge it or not.

Perhaps that was why Lessa ignored all other plans she had made for the day, and made this stranger her top priority. "You don't need to do that," she muttered awkwardly as the girl bowed to her. "It's not a big deal. Here, why don't we sit." She dropped onto the edge of the bench, her gaze never leaving the stranger. "Now, what's your name?"

The beautiful woman sat on the bench and I felt a little relieved that she didnt leave. A sigh escaped my lips as i sat next to her. Looking at her i smile pleased to talk more about myself.

"My gammer tag is Blacksweettart but everybody just calls me sweets." I look at her eyes a little hesitant to give out my real name and return the question.The thoughts of Alucard slipping away making everything look much clearer and much brighter.

"Whats your name?"

"Sweets," Lessa repeated, her voice only just above a strained whisper. She could not have selected a more fragile name for such an innocent girl. "I see." She glanced down at the ground between her boots, but her small smile never wavered, else Sweets might have some idea what she was thinking. Damn this game. Damn Kayaba Akihiko. Damn Alucard. And damn all of the players who passed this girl in the street and never paused to make sure she was alright.

Her jaw worked as she fought to rein in her emotions. She would be no good to anyone in her current state. Her chest rose and fell with a deep breath beneath her armor before she finally spoke.

"My name is Lessa." When she glanced back to the girl, much of the sadness in her blue eyes was gone. It had been replaced with hard determination. "I'll help you with your quest. Just stick with me, and I'll make sure that you get through it safely, alright?"

My heart perked up much more at Lessa's offer to be my guard. 

"Really?! That would be wonderful!" I do a small jump similar to a small, excited animal then bow again remembering my manners and to show my gratitude.

"I'd appreciate your company and guardianship." Standing straight up again I feel my cheeks heat up at the ends of the big smile across my face. With the sudden energy coursing through me I almost forgot I was even feeling so alone just moments ago. I could still feel the pain from Alucard leaving me alone like that but at the chance to get to make a new friend and gain more battle experience I couldn't help but feel ecstatic. Realizing I might be a bit too energetic I take a few breaths to calm down to a more casual tone. As Lessa sat on the bench I took a good look at her and her armor. Her beauty still shining through a tested and grimy outer layer. Her eyes could tell all, a battle tested woman carrying the stress of survival for more than herself, maybe even this whole site's population on her shoulders. My smile lowered into something more of a sympathetic look. 'I've seen people like her, father's friends from war had similar eyes' I offer my hand to her.

"Is there anything you'd need to get before we head out Miss Lessa?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Miss Lessa," the girl mouthed, feeling strangely embarrassed by the way the girl addressed her. She could never fault her new acquaintance for it, as there was no way that she could know, but Lessa squirmed slightly under the young woman's sympathetic gaze. People used to look at her like that a lot after Alkor's death. It never got easier, or less uncomfortable, even though she knew Sweets had only the best of intentions. 

Suddenly, she recalled the young girl's question. "Ah, no," she replied, shaking her head to both emphasize her point and bring her mind back from its wandering. Sweets deserved her attention, her full attention. It was not fair if she allowed her anything less than that. "Is there anything that you need?" Just as quickly as she had sat down, the Guardian stood up once more. She extended a hand to the dark-haired girl, meaning to help her up as well. "I have health pots with me, if you don't have any. Besides, I won't be putting you in any situations that are too dangerous for you, I promise."