[SP - FL1] We Must Save Her Family! <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>> [Complete]

Horunka Village

A peaceful little hamlet situated within one of the long forests on the first floor.  A cozy place that fears no evil intent.  Monsters do not spawn near its gates, but lately word has been going around the townsfolk.  A woman has been having some issues lately, and has been looking for someone to help her.

"I guess someone needs a Hirru?"

I chuckled at my own joke as I stepped into the house that belonged to the quest giver.  As I came up to the door, I knocked to be polite.  Soon the door opened to a woman dressed in a homemade gown.  If it wasn't for the fact that there was a golden exclamation point above her head, I would have thought that this was an actual person.  I guess my mind is really getting used to the fact that I'm in a world where things are not as they seem.

"Oh.. you must be here for my request.  Please!  Please come in!"

She beckoned me in and I found myself in a warm little living room with simple wooden furniture around a fireplace.  I walked towards the fireplace and found a rather strange smell coming from a pot sitting in the fireplace to boil.  I turned to find that the woman had filled a glass with water and was offering it to me.

"I am sorry, all I can offer you is water.  I have nothing prepared for food."

I nodded politely and reached out for it.  The moment I touched the glass, a soft coughing could be heard through a door across the room.  A look of sadness crept along this woman's face, and I had to ask.

"Is everything alright?"

The golden exclamation point turned into a grey question mark over her head, and she suggested that I take a seat.  I did so while she took the rocking chair on the other side.

"Some time ago, there as a sickness that had spread through the land.  It was slow, but there was not anything we could do.  There was no cure, and our medicine could do nothing.  I was a young child back then.  I don't remember much, but I do know that I was also stricken with this illness."

As I listened, I could only think about how a sickness of that level could have spread throughout a tower based fortress like Aincrad.  Not much lore around the first floor told of anything before.  In fact, since this was the first town outside the Town of Beginnings, this actually made sense.  The big town wouldn't have much to anything as they would be worrying about themselves.  If a town that big existed around these parts, the illness would have been quarantined and maybe even have its people put to death.  I shook that thought from my head.  Where did that even come from?

"My father was the one to go out into the woods to find anything that could save me.  He found that a beast with a flower carried a seed that once prepared properly dispelled my illness, and save not only me, but the rest of the village.  Now, some time has past and I have a family of my own.  That being said, I do not have the means to go out and gather the necessary ingredient."

"How can I help?"

"Oh thank you, kind adventurer!  To the west of the village, there are the plant creatures called <<Little Nepents>> that live there.  Please, find the flowered ones and take their seeds before they can become fruits.  My father told me to beware of the <<Fruit Nepents>>"

"Thank you, I will take my leave"

I stood up and walked out of the house before heading towards the town exit.

Meanwhile

Along the entrance to the village, a small pup sat outside the town perimeter.  It had sniffed its way to the village, but something didn't feel right when it came close to it.  It kept its distance while waiting for the scent to come back.  Many creatures came through the village in small groups.  None of them had the scent that it was searching for, so it waited.  Sure enough, one of the creatures that walked out smelled familiar and headed away from the village.  The pup wagged its tail in happiness as it sniffed the ground before running after the creature, but it was already gone.  

Edited by Hirru
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ID 26043]

[Hirru 10] Crit + 2 DMG

[Little Nepent 7- 1 = 6] Hit

[CD 2 = No Flower]

After a long run, I found myself in an area full of overgrown brush.  Every so often, you could see some of the plants move.  If it were not for the red signals over heads, I would have thought them as regular plants.  These plants were called <<Little Nepent>>, man sized plants that looked like a pitfall type plant would slowly 'walk' around on their tentacle like roots.  As I looked around, I was disappointed by the lack of flowered ones.

"Well, I guess this is a good enough time to raise my technique."

I said as I unsheathed my sword and attacked the nearest <<Little Nepent>>.  A solid hit broke through it, but it didn't like it as I got hit by one of the long tentacles with a sharp looking leaf on it.

[Hirru 16/17]

[Little Nepent 5/9]

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26044]

[Hirru = 5] Miss

[Little Nepent = (6-1) 5] Miss

[CD = 10 Flower Spawn]

I don't know what it was, but something felt different fighting this thing.  It didn't have eyes so it couldn't see me, but it was always facing me.  If it could smell me or hear me, that would be one thing, but I couldn't see a nose or ears.  Though, I wouldn't put it past the many ideas of the one that created these things.  Nothing ever seemed right around here.

I swung at the creature, but it pushed me back with its tentacle as the other came in for the hit.  It must have been my vest, because I felt an instant urge to get away.  Following my instincts, I stepped back in time to have it hit the ground where I stood.  Just then, I saw a Flowered Nepent spawn from a fair distance away.

This was bad, as if I ran from this one, it may follow and then I would have to deal with two.  Then again, I did want to get this over with quickly.

[Hirru 16/17]

[Little Nepent 5/9]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] 9 turns until Fruit Spawns

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26045]

[Hirru = 1] What are you doing?

[Little Nepent = (7-1) 6] Hit

[CD = 1] Fruit timer -1

I decided against the flower and continue my assault on this one.  I had time, and I didn't think that the flower one was going to go anywhere.  That said, I returned my focus to the plant.

The plant took this time to take a swipe at me, causing my health to deplete.

[Hirru 15/17]

[Little Nepent 5/9]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] 7 turns until Fruit Spawns

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26046]

[Hirru = 5] Seriously, why?

[Little Nepent = (10-1) 9] Crit +2 DMG

[CD = 5] Nothing

I found myself entangled in this things two tenta-arms and could feel it squeezing my body.  My health drained by a little more than usual.  I needed to get loose from this monstrosity before I was plant food.  If I could only get my sword hand free.  I struggled harder, but nothing happened.

"Why is it that plants are harder than wolves?"

[Hirru 12/17]

[Little Nepent 5/9]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] 6 turns until Fruit Spawns

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26047]

[Hirru = 9] Crit + 1 DMG 

[CD = 3] Fruit timer -1

Wriggling my arm out of its grasp seemed like the hardest thing in the world, but I did it and sliced off the creatures arm.  It made a shrill screech and attacked with its remaining arm.  Again, the instincts of a wolf pay off as I sensed the attack before it came and dodged out of the way.

"Come on!  I'm having a howling good time!"

[Hirru 12/17]

[Little Nepent 2/9]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] 4 turns until Fruit Spawns

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26050]

[Hirru = 6] Hit!

[Little Nepent = (9-1) 8] Crit +1 DMG

[CD = 10] Fruit timer +1

Taking my time to move around it, I could see that it was definitely tracking my movements somehow.  I needed to figure this out before something happened.  I stopped for a second, and its last arm came at me.  It hit me on my shoulder just as I went in to attack it.  My sword found its mark on one of the roots.  

I jumped back to get some distance from me and the plant.  Looking at the flowered one, it looked like the petals were falling off it.  Was that a sign to tell me something?

[Hirru 10/17]

[Little Nepent 3/9]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] 4 turns until Fruit Spawns

Edited by Hirru
Editing Crit damage cause of rules..

[ID 26052]

[Hirru = 5] 

[Little Nepent = (4-1) 3] 

[CD = 2] Fruit Timer -1

I couldn't leave this alone, and it looked like the flower was slowly wilting on the other.  If I didn't hurry, something would probably happen to the flowered one.  Maybe it would just turn into a normal nepent, or something else.  That woman did say to beware of the fruits, whatever that meant.  Maybe there was a connection.

The Little Nepent that I was fighting was slowly crawling towards me on its roots.  It still knew where I was, even now.  If I wanted to get away from one of these, I'd actually need to run back into the city.  I didn't know what to do, so I consulted what I little knowledge I could.

"Oh wait.. Sensei isn't here."

[Hirru 10/17]

[Little Nepent 3/9]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] 2 turns until Fruit Spawns

Edited by Hirru
Editing total damage cause of rules..

[ID 26053]

[Hirru = 5] Miss

[CD = 1] Fruit Timer -1

I decided that I shouldn't waste too much time on this one and that I should be going for the flowered one.  As I turned to look at the Flowered Nepent, its last petal fell and a large red berry grew from where the flower once was.  That must be what that woman meant by the fruited ones, but what was there to beware of?  At that moment, I could feel that the Nepent had caught up.  A quick glance made the instinct come back and I dodged out of the way.

"Great, back to square one!  I am so going to ask that mother for a meal after this."

[Hirru 10/17]

[Little Nepent 3/9]

[Fruit Nepent 9/9]

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26054]

[Hirru = 2] Miss

[Little Nepent = (5-1) 4] Miss

[CD = 8] Nothing! 

Taking my time was making me a little too impatient.  In fact, I was kind of pissed off.  I missed my chance to kill a flowered one, but I took my time and it turned into a fruit.  Now I would have attacked the fruit, but something told me not to.  I instead went after my original target, but my blade fell short as I needed to dodge away from another attack.

"Nice hot bath too!"

[Hirru 10/17]

[Little Nepent 3/9]

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26055]

[Hirru = 3] Why?

[Little Nepent = (9-1) 8] Well that could always be worse! (Edit: It was Crit +1)

[CD = 3] 

I couldn't imagine how it happened, but an image cut across my mind.  It looked like the plant had jabbed its leaf right through me, taking out a good chunk of my health.  Blinking, I was back to where I was with the plant creature about to strike.  

"Whoa!"

I moved slightly out of the way, causing it to catch my shoulder again.  This thing was persistent, if not annoying.  I needed to kill it and find a new flower.

[Hirru 8/17]

[Little Nepent 3/9]

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26056]

[Hirru = 4] Miss

[Little Nepent = (5-1) 4] Miss

[CD = 1]  One Mwahaha! Nothing..

Maybe it was something in the air, or something in my mind.  I couldn't tell which it was, but I was definitely having problems attacking this thing.  Maybe cause I was used to animals, not plants.  Though, that may explain that, it doesn't explain why it was also missing me.  Another game of cat and mouse that was seriously ticking me off.  

"If I wasn't so nice, I would.. Never mind.."

[Hirru 8/17]

[Little Nepent 3/9]

Edited by Hirru
edit to show actual damage taken

[ID 26057]

[Hirru = 2] Go home Dice Roller, you're drunk.

[Little Nepent = (7-1) 6] Hit

[CD = 8] Nothing happened

If there is one thing that I am learning out of this, it is patience is not my virtue.  I tried everything from attacking it, to dodging it for an attack.  Nothing seemed to connect with this creature.  Just then, it finally hits me.  The Nepent; not an actual idea.  I was flung a good distance by the arm and lay on my back, pondering life.

"Maybe I should have stayed in the village.  I think that family would have kindly taken me in if I didn't respond to its quest."

Then again, the constant coughing and repeating for assistance may have made me go out anyway.

[Hirru 7/17]

[Little Nepent 3/9]

Edited by Hirru
edited total damage taken

[ID 26059]

[Hirru = 6] Hit.. Finally

[Little Nepent = (7-1) 6] Hit.. wait a second..

[CD = 6] THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST

If there as a guardian diety that lived in this world, he or she was probably laughing themselves off their throne, cause this was only divine retribution.  I had angered the gods and goddesses some how, and now I am paying the price.  That or some demonic entity was toying with me.

I wasn't going to let that stop me and I made a reckless decision to take an attack to get a slash into it.  It worked, which ticked me off even more.

"Definitely a demon at play here."

[Hirru 6/17]

[Little Nepent 1/9]

Edited by Hirru
Editing total damage taken

[ID 26060]

[Hirru = 1] RNGsus why?

[Little Nepent = (3-1) 2] That I don't care about

[CD = 1] Why?

Seemingly out of spite alone, I felt like the very castle Aincrad could not contain the amount of anger that was inside me.  I felt that I could punch a hole through the roof of the first floor into the 10th, and still have enough anger to crush this entire forest.

If only it worked like that, then we would all be done with these escapades and everything would be fine.  No one needed to die.  No more suffering.  No more missing the bloody enemy!

[Hirru 6/17]

[Little Nepent 1/9]

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26061]

[Hirru = 3] Not surprising me anymore

[Little Nepent = (5-1) 4] Kinda thankful

[CD = 10] Flower Spawn (Great! Just Great!)

As the dodging game commenced, I could feel my mind slipping from my own self.  It felt like I was being tugged at by two separate sides, each one fighting for dominance for my body.  That or my anger had reached an all time high, as a new flowered Nepent spawned.  A new one spawned, and I was still dealing with the SAME Nepent as I started with.

"I'm getting real tired of this plant, and want it to burn!"

[Hirru 6/17]

[Little Nepent 1/9]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] Fruit Timer 9 turns

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26062]

[Hirru = 1] One does not simply roll good

[Little Nepent = (3-1) 2] Literally think the Nepent is also sick of it

[CD = 6] Nothing happened

As with everything else in this world, I am stuck in a perpetual loop of dodging and missing.  I find that I don't even know what is going on anymore.  Why was I doing this anyway?  One kid is sick!  No skin off my.....  I instantly shut up, and thoughts go through my head, as though I was some kind of supercomputer.  What does that even mean?  I don't know any more.  The loop had taken control, and I was no longer myself.

[Hirru 6/17]

[Little Nepent 1/9]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] Fruit Timer 8 turns

Edited by Hirru

[ID 26063]

[Hirru = 3] Yep...

[Little Nepent = (8-1) 7] At least you're getting some action

[CD = 10] Fruit Timer + 1

As if to answer my prayers to the very demon itself, the nepent got another hit off of me while I was thinking too myself.  I had to think of something, and fast.  I would be plant food if I didn't.  What was it that was holding me back?  Was it something in the air?  Was it me?  Was it the demonic presence?  There wasn't really a demonic presence, but it would explain quite a bit.

[Hirru 5/17]

[Little Nepent 1/9]

Edited by Hirru
editing total damage taken.

[ID 26067]

[Hirru = 7] Sweet buttery RNG

[LD = 17] 1 Mat + 1 Good Item or 45 Col

[Flower Nepent = ( 8-1) 7] Don't even care!

[CD = 6] Nothing happens

I finally saw my chance and found my mark.  The Little Nepent screeched before becoming a shower of prismatic light.  I stood there, with my hands to my knees as I tried to catch my breath.  The curse was over!  It's finally over... I can kill this flowered one, and finally go home.  Well, as much of a home that an inn can be.  

A window showed that for my struggles, I gained a new level 8 and a <<Sticky Sap>> material item.  Also, I got a nice 45 Col for my troubles.  I would have to buy a pint or two for everything that has happened, but first.. I needed to deal with a flowered version of this bastard.  

I turned towards the flowered one and ran towards it.  Once in range, it instantly aggroed to me and attacked quicker than I thought.  Getting hit in the same shoulder time and time again.

"Is that really necessary?"

[Hirru 18/19]

[Flower Nepent 9/9] Fruit Timer 7 turns

Edited by Hirru
Edited for plot devices

[ID 26070]

[Hirru = 4] Welp.. here we go

[Flower Nepent = ( 2-1 ) 1] You too huh..

[CD = 12] Fruit Timer +2

My blade ached to be done with all of this, or was it just my arm?  I couldn't tell anymore.  I have just started fighting this thing, and I already think that the curse has not been lifted.  I missed again as I ran at the flowered one, and it completely missed me.  The merri-go-round was operating, and it wasn't going to stop.

[Hirru 18/19]

Edited by Hirru
Edited total health to compute with last edit