[PP-F1] The Ropes (Lucia)

I had become almost fully familiarized with floor one and the town of beginnings. I could navigate myself to most places without much difficulty. However, I still had many things to learn about SAO, and myself. Unfortunately for me, I forgot to set my alarm the previous day and woke up way later than usual. If I wanted anything to come of this day I'd have to get ready soon. Skipping breakfast, I equipped my gear and left the inn to head out to town. As I approached the town square with my air of confidence and mystery I noticed something I hadn't seen in awhile. There appeared to be many low level players walking cautiously around. They didn't seem to be as accustomed to the game as I was becoming. As I continued to walk, hands in my pockets, I wondered how they would fair. 

Lucia spent the night outside, for the first time in her life. It wasn't anything near pleasant to her, being broke, under a drafty wind with insects jumping on you occassionally. Just wait, once she really got the ropes of this game, she'd start off by earning money. And with that money, she'd try to get herself some shelter and food. It really was a shame that she decided to blow off all her money on useless accessories, and other ripoff items. Such poor durability, and she wasn't very skilled at testing out the weaponry either. All she had of value was her starters weaponry and the little flower asset she purchased earlier. Albeit she had no use for it. Maybe she should slap it over her eye for how useful it could get.

On a more serious note, Lucia spent a few hours recollecting her thoughts, and accepting the fact that they were in fact trapped in a death game, a horrible world where you either kill, or be killed. But if only the woman knew a thing of two on how to improve combat. Trying to keep calm, Lucia had first approached a level one boar, coming up with ways she was best at slashing. Her swings were weak, and so were her attempts at blocking attacks with her blade. The woman sighed and stood on her feet, heading off towards the City Of Beginnings. She wasn't all too far from there, just to keep safe.

All around her, she noticed people conversing. They were forming parties and casually chatting together. Yet here she was alone, but she didn't feel that comfortable to approach someone randomly. Though things like this were too common in RPG's. Of course, through other video games she'd be texting and occasionally talking. But when it really was you being put in the game, don't you feel different then? Lucia liked to think she had guts for this a least, so she scanned the area for someone who was alone, and at the least had an inviting demeanor to them.

It was a young looking boy, well in his teenage years, with brown hair, it looked like. Walking up to him she'd flash a faint yet unsure smile, but positive for the most part. "Hey there."

As I continued walking I noticed some one was beginning to approach me. I didn't turn to directly look at them, but examined them from the corner of my eye. It was a girl. Aside from a flower accessory she was wearing she was pretty much in the default gear. What stood out about her was her long white hair. It was more common to see abnormal hair colors in SAO but hers was still striking nonetheless. She was bound to draw attention. By the way she was walking towards me I could tell she was unsure of herself. I couldn't see her level but I guessed she must have just started venturing out. When she finally reached me she spoke with a smile and a voice that was full of doubt. She must have approached me because I was alone. Most of the people in the square were in groups, this girl probably didn't have enough courage to approach multiple people at lunch. Ahh. I want to be a solo player but people keep coming up to me because I'm a solo player. How ironic is that? Anyway, I didn't want to upset her by being too blunt, she looked to have something on her mind. I stopped my forward motion and turned to her to speak. "Hey, ya need something?" With the inquisitive inflection in my speech I was sure she'd be satisfied with my response. 

Lucia examined him for a section as she raised a brow at his short response. Maybe he was one of those kids after all. However, she wasn't one to be entirely rude on purpose, so she pondered over what to ask him. "Oh hi I'm lonely and I need people to talk to." Not quite... "Teach me the art of combat!" Not that either... The last thing the female wanted was to come across as someone who didn't look like the RPG type. "You looking for a party member currently?" It was good enough a question. The dreadful part was expecting either a no or yes. If he did accept, he had yet to know that this woman wasn't that great at combat. Agility and evasion yes, but not the actual fighting. But Lucia assumed the game's system had to make her unlock those traits before she could use them. Whilst awaiting a reply, she'd scan the area once more, watching a few players just like them meeting for the first time. There were many people who partied up like this, eh? Then they'd all head off towards the exit, all fired up to clear the levels. It was Lucia's goal to clear the game as well. And she swore that one day, she'd become a player with the qualities that can beat the game. And she was going to have to take it one step at a time.

Why am I always right. This girl wanted to party up with me. This game seriously had it out for me. It seemed like if I wanted to go solo is have to kill all the other players here myself. I obviously couldn't do that but SAO wasn't giving me much of a choice. Well partying up with people sometimes isn't that bad right? It won't hurt me. My attention drifted back to the girl. Seeing the look on her face I couldn't turn her down without being a massive jerk. The eyes she threw at me told me that much. I briefly closed my eyes to prepare myself and raised my hand to the back of my head, "Well actually I usually go solo, but it couldn't hurt this once." Without giving her time to respond I swiped my left hand to bring up the menu and prepared to invite her to my party "What's your name?" I said smiling. 

The woman would continue to gaze at him, waiting for a response. He answered back to her as he pulled out his HUD to form a party with her. She smiled smugly in response before pronouncing her name in syllables so he could type it correctly. "Lu-ci-a." He didn't look too excited about this, but at least the female had a chance to learn something. So it was the first time she stated her in-game name to anyone. She was about to slip out her first name by instinct but it seems that she was able to get it right this time. Come to think of it, Lucia was a name that she always wished was hers. Often times she'd choose other aliases in-game, usually more mysterious and serious overall. But she liked to change things up a bit every now and then. Humming patiently she'd wait for the boy to type in her name, so she'd be able to start things.

Lucia. That was the girl's name. I quickly typed it into the party invite screen and sent it to her, a corresponding menu appearing in front of her almost instantly. She seemed somewhat delighted that I was willing to party up with her. No doubt she wanted my assistance with something, or maybe she just didn't want to be alone. By the way she had spoken her name to me, full of an almost childish glee, I could tell she wasn't used to introducing herself by that name. The way things were shaping up it looked like we'd be together for the day. Well id already been roped in, I would only hurt her if I have a bad impression. "I'm Koumori, looks like you'll be stuck with me for awhile." She looked pretty content standing there humming to herself, plus she had approached me in the first place, so I she didn't disapprove of the arrangement. 

She'd watch as a message popped up in front of her, initiating the beginning of her first hopefully productive day. Reading over the message she hovered over the accept button, tapping once more to confirm her selection. Technology these days, it never ceased to amaze her. And to think that technology can trap people's mind's into a nervegear. Never thought it'd ever go that far. Looking up at the player, she listened as he introduced himself, along with a comment. She'd nod in response, deciding to say something more than one or two words this time. "Hmm, nice to meet you Koumori." After speaking she looked towards the exit, with her usual stoic expression returning to her after the greeting. Waiting for him to lead the way would make things longer, and she for a fact hated when situations turned uncomfortable. So she'd gesture for him to follow along before walking towards the end zones of the city. Along the way, Lucia heard a few players mentioning the deaths of some players due to them being slayed by monsters. It scared her in a way, but it also fueled her motivation at the very same time.

Lucia accepted my party invite, like I expected she would and voiced her approval. Her worried look disappeared and it was replaced with one that could only be described as determination. Now that she had my help, it seemed like she was confident she could complete whatever task she had in mind. Before I had any time to continue my thoughts she gestured me towards the exit and began to move. I of course followed her. Shortly after we pasted a group of players who mentioned the amount of deaths due to mobs. I looked over at my temporary companion and could see that she reacted to what they had said. That must be it. She wanted to tackle mobs to level up quickly. But she seemed inexperienced, I didn't know if that was the best first step for her. "You're looking to go after mobs right? Are you sure you want that to be your first move? I mean we could go material hunting to improve your gear." I said this to her as we continued to walk, a small warm smile forming on her lips, I didn't want her to think I was mocking her. But if she insisted on combat of course I would help her. 

Edited by Koumori

She mentally facepalmed once he mentioned it. Of course, she totally knew that. Actually, she didn't think of material hunting at the moment, since her combat skills were poor already. The only thing she could do was forage or find a few things here and there to add to her inventory. But nonetheless, she didn't think about that first. "Ah, then let's do that instead." Lucia didn't speak too much, unable to openly admit her weaknesses. Albeit it seemed obvious by how she'd agree to everything he brought up. The boy already should've assumed the woman was a rookie. Lucia looked scanned the open field, eyeing a few mobs that littered the distant territory. Anyhow, she just had to see where Koumori was leading her. And in some way, she could take the information from this party and apply it usefully. Soon enough, she wouldn't need to rely on others to help her grow stronger. She needed to regain that independant and confident feeling once more. Sadly enough, working alone for her current position would be considered suicide. She felt as if the best decision would be tagging along for now.

She became flustered when I mentioned material hunting, but she agreed that was the best choice of action. I totally get that she'd want to go after mobs and completely forget about material gathering, I know I had. In any case, she seemed happy to follow my lead so I'd have to lead her right. She followed slightly behind me so that I could choose where to go, so I took her across the grasslands. As we walked through the sometimes flat sometimes hilly landscape we could see other groups of players doing the same thing. Eventually I brought her closer to the edge of the forest and stopped. "This should be a good place. Now all that's left to do is look. You might have some more luck looking at the edge of the forest." Lucia needed my help now but I knew she obviously didn't want to stay in that dependent state. I'd teacher the ropes so she could get on her feet. 

The woman just nodded and nodded at everything, following behind. She wasn't comfortable enough to start spewing out questions and what if's all over. She didn't want to make the poor boy uncomfortable like this. She'd hopefully figure out a way to do this. So they needed to pick materials now. But... what materials? What did Lucia need to find now? Yeah, things like heaps of alloy and all that, but would she even find that behind a bush or tree out here? Lucia shuffled through bushes, looked by trees, things like that. Sighing, she moved to ask him a question. "Sooo... what things do beginner's collect out here? Other than food and water." All she needed was an answer to get looking. She'd make sure to keep every detail in memory as well, so she wouldn't need to ask all these questions. Lucia needed to know what was useful around here that would boost her level in a way. Whilst at it, Lucia shuffled through to find cut up wood. Don't know how to use that unless she became an artisan.

Lucia began looking around earnestly before turning back to me and asking what she was actually looking for. She wanted to know what materials beginners we looking around for. "Hmm. Well, most players like to start by making a weapon or some armor. In that case, you'd need to look for metal or ore. It may seem like something hard to find but lots of times you can just see it laying around. In my experience, when you get close it starts to sparkle a little. I might just be loosing though haha" I tried to explain it to Lucia the best I could. I did want to help her with becoming better. I looked at her as she intently absorbed what I said. She seemed to be a good listener, and someone very easy to get along with. Perhaps I'd look for some stuff too.