PP-F2: Breaking the Unbreakable-Quest (Beoreson) - COMPLETE!!

As there had been several players before him who had cleared the boss on the first floor, and several floors above it for that matter, it was an easy enough matter to take the publicly available player portal located in the Town of Beginnings to reach the second floor. Emerging from the shimmering portal, Mack stepped down off of the platform he looked around and took in his surroundings. Activating his player menu, he scanned through the list of items until he found the map and activated it. As with the first floor, there had been players before him who had cleared the floor and made their map data publicly available. Mack examined that data, looking for one item in particular and once he was sure where he could find the public quest board the blonde warrior set off in direction he needed to go to find the board. Surely, there would be a few quests he could knock out safely up here before returning to the first floor to continue building up for a dungeon run down there.

Edited by Mack

After his battle with the second floor boss Beoreson decided to go back to the city. After hanging out in the city for a while Beoreson decided that he needed to go grind on the second floor. So Beoreson went around looking for something to keep him busy. He went around and slayed a monster here and there but, he couldn't find anything that would truly hold his attention. Then he thought of something , He could go check one of the quest boards. So Beoreson walked over to the board. Beoreson found the blond warrior Mack standing there going though the board. Beoreson greet the warrior then started to look though the quests on the board.

"Mornin'," Mack grunted to Beoreson when the other warrior joined him at the quest board and began to do the same thing the blonde was doing, namely going through the quest board looking for anything that might be worthwhile. One by one quests were discarded by Mack. Too dangerous. Too tedious. Too high level. Finally, through, there was one that caught his eye. Breaking the Unbreakable. Mack considered the reward that came with the completion of the quest. A new skill, that wouldn't be too bad. Being able to have some ranks in an unarmed combat skill would be, almost like being able to take two weapons into combat. It also had the benefit of not sounding terribly difficult. 

Go out. Break a rock. Come back. Turn it in.

Making a spur of the moment decision, Mack turned to other warrior perusing the quest list next to him. There was no mistaking the fact that the axe-man's friends list in SAO was pretty barren. As in there were no people on it. He'd worked a bit with Beoreson in the past and hadn't found the other man to be either a fool or a burden. A few more partnerships, and the blonde might be ready to add the other warrior to his friends list.

"I'm going to grab this quest for the martial arts skill," he said in a low tone to Beoreson. "Care to tag along? Doesn't sound like there are any big mobs, but maybe we'll find a few targets of opportunity. As always, we split the col 50/50, I get the two handed weapons, you get the one handed, and we can figure out any other items if we happen to get any. Deal," Mack asked in his gruff manner, extending a massive hand to Beoreson to shake if the other man was going to take him up on a party.

Beoreson finished looking though the quest, and turned over towards the gruff, blond soldier. "Sure sounds like a plan to me.", Beoreson then shakes the blond soldiers hand and, backs away from the questing board so someone else can use it. "Like the axe makes you look even scarier." Beoreson comments as he goes to the side of the soldier. "So, Mack want to party up for this or just stay out of a party?" asks the black haired, cadet.  Beoreson falls again to an at ease stance, as he always does when ever anyone who looks like the have seen service pops into view.

Mack considered Beoreson's question for a moment and rubbed his chin. "Party up," he said at last, activating his menu and scrolling through the options. A second later a pop-up menu appeared at about head height in front of the dark haired warrior. While Mack waited for him to accept the party invitation he fingered the blade of his axe that was protruding above his left shoulder with a crimson feather fluttering in the breeze. "Drop the 'at ease' crap around me," he finally grunted to Beoreson. "I'm only an E-6, I'm no officer. Don't need my ego stroked, or my hand held, like they do."

It occurred to Mack, after he spoke, that his words might have come off as just a bit more harsh than he had intended them to be. "Glad you like Midnight Eclipse," he said, trying to graciously accept the compliment and, probably, failing at it. "Forged it a couple of days ago after I picked up my profession. I'll forge you a weapon too, if you want one. No promises it'll be anything good though. I'm still just a beginner in the Blacksmith profession."

Beoreson accepted the party invite, and noticed that there was Mack's name underneath his on his HUD.  He thought to himself, "  Cool just like in the manual." He then realizing he didn't have to stand at ease, snapped out of what people call soldier mode. He became more relaxed and stood slightly slouched forward. " Old habits, and thanks for the offer, but I think I should be good on weapons. I also picked up the blacksmithing profession." said the black haired, warrior. "So when do you want to leave?" questioned Beoreson.

Edited by Beoreson

"Old habits," the blonde man asked questioningly, turning on his heel and beginning to head in the direction of what appeared to be the stone gates of Urbus, the main settlement on the second floor of the Aincrad tower. Mack was a bit curious to hear what Beoreson had meant by his remark. It was always possible that the blonde warrior wasn't the only person playing Sword Art Online, or rather stuck in the world, that was a professional soldier in their actual lives outside of the fantasy world.

Reaching the stone gates of Urbus, Mack stopped for a moment and scanned the thickly forested area immediately outside of the city's stone walls. According to the quest marker on the map, he and Beoreson would have a hike of several miles through the forest before they reached the site of the supposedly unbreakable boulder. Of course, if it truly was unbreakable, then there wouldn't be a quest with a skill reward attached to it concerning the boulder. There had to be some way to break it, it was just a matter of figuring it out once he reached the stone.

Before leaving Beoreson stopped Mack for a moment to explain to him what he meant by old habits. "I've had officer training, but I have never gone to basic training." Beoreson then follows the blond soldier to bolder. After the Mack smacks at it a few times, he walks over and swings his sword into it a few times as well." Well that's not going to work, what do you think we should do to get it working?" asked the black haired warrior. "I think if we practice unarmed combat we may be able to activate a skill of some kind." says the cadet.

(( Sorry for the shorter posts, I'm still working on getting the gears turning again. I've hadn't written in about a month before joining the site.))

Edited by Beoreson

OOC: No worries, as long as I've got something to work with I'm good. Feel free to play as the wolf you're fighting against. Two wolves. One for the each of us.

"Officer training? Sorry you never joined the real military," Mack grunted as they reached the boulder. He offered Beoreson a very tight-lipped smile as he spoke the words. Everyone knew that it was the enlisted soliders that did all of the real work while the officers pretended to supervise. It wasn't exactly a great big secret. The blonde warrior considered the mass of granite that was his current enemy. He smacked it a few times with his beefy fists. When that had no effect, he tried kicking it. Again to no effect.

"Officers got hard heads, come over here and let me use your skull as an improvised weapon. That should do..." The axe-man's somewhat crude attempt at humor was cut short by the wail of a wolf's howl. A second later, that howl was answered from the opposite direction by a second howl. "Wolf pack," the soldier snarled, drawing Midnight Eclipse and brandishing the shining black weapon in his hands, ready for the attack. He'd known this quest had been proving to be too simple. The game had been planning to throw in a curve ball all along.

ID: 26927
MD: 4
BD: 9
Mack: 17/17
M. Wolf: 6/10 (-4 Dam.)

Sure enough, a second later a hulking grey timber wolf leaped from Mack's right and snapped its jaws at Mack. The axe-man grunted and shifted his grip so that his right hand was protected by the bearded portion of his glittering black axe blade. As the wolf opened its jaws to try and take another bite at the blonde warrior he punched his right hand forward, protected by the axe blade, and slammed his blade protected fist into the side of the wolf's jaw, driving the creature back several feet as he landed a solid blow. Behind him, Mack heard a rustle as a second wolf barreled out of cover and he was grateful that he had chosen to party with Beoreson, trusting that the dark-haired warrior would be able to handle the other wolf.

"I've got mine," he called out, loud enough for Beoreson to hear him without having to take his eyes off of the wolf he was fighting. "How are you doing with yours?"

ID:26931 CD:1

Beoreson HP:17-1

Wolf:10

Beoreson was about to retort at the rather rude humor that was just spilled his way, but also heard the snarl of the wolves. Beoreson reacted and drew his sword loyalty, a basic straight sword with a slightly curved upward cross guard. As he drew the sword the leather wrapping on the handle came lose. Beoreson grunted in pain as he lost his grip on the blade and it sank into his foot. He then pulled it out of his foot, and rose the sword defensively over his chest. " I'm fine worry about your wolf."  said Beoreson, as the wolf leaped forward to attack him.

OCC: That is pretty ironic.

Edited by Beoreson

OOC: Loyalty, the disloyal blade. :)

ID: 26937
MD: 2
MWolf: 4/10 (-2 Bleed)

The wolf eyed Mack through dagger slitted eyes, its fur all bushed out and its teeth bared. "Give a shout if you need a hand," the hulking axe wielder shouted in response to Beoreson's comment. He had to deal with his own wolf first, of course, but once that was done he would only jump in to help the other warrior if that aid was requested. Or if it was necessary to keep the swordsman from being killed by the mob. Whether it was wanted or not, Mack would try to help Beoreson to save his life, if it came to that. 

Growling low in its throat, the wolf coiled its legs underneath its body and sprang forward. Saliva, and a bit of digital blood, dripped from the creature's razor sharp canine teeth. Holding out the haft of Midnight Eclipse in front of his body, Mack took a half step back and set his feet. As the roiling mass of fur and muscle slammed into him it locked its jaws around the bearded axe's haft. Using the momentum of the wolf Mack rolled backwards and planted his feet in the wolf's chest, launching the furball straight up into the air.

ID:26941 CD:6

Beoreson's HP: 16-2

Bwolf HP:10

Beoreson lowers his blade excepting to be attacked from a lower angle. He based this defensive move from the wolves he fought before. Sadly for Beoreson this plan did not work and the wolf lunged though the air and smashed into Beoreson biting his shoulder. Beoreson grunted from the pain of being bitten and knocked over from the wolf. Beoreson then tried to punch the wolf but, it leaped away from him. The wolf's claws dug into Beoreson as it leap off of him. Beoreson grunted in pain as he got up. He luckily managed to keep his sword when he was knocked down.

ID: 26943
BD: 5
MWolf: 2/10 (-2 Bleed)

As he launched the wolf high into the air Mack continued to roll backwards and came back up to his feet. The wolf yelped in surprise as it was launched skyward and Mack brought Midnight Eclipse back, clearly intending to try and bat the creature out of the air as it returned to the earth. Planting his right foot in the ground he lifted his left in a big leg kick and then planted it in the ground, swinging his axe through the wolf's path. But, at the last second the wolf abruptly tucked its paws and tumbled in a barrel roll. Mack swung like Mark McGuire, but the blade of his weapon whistled over the top of the wolf as it landed on its feet and quickly backed away to look for another opening.

ID:26996 CD:3

Beoreson's HP:14

Bwolf's HP:10

Beoreson waits for the wolf to lunge at him again. The wolf snarls as it streaks though the air towards Beoreson. The wolf jumped far sooner then Beoreson was expecting. He had to throw himself to the left to avoid getting torn up by the wolf. He then got up and waved his sword at the wolf trying to intimidate it a little. Sadly it did not work. He then, thought to himself, "Okay, time to come up with a plan." He began to think of the way they attack and how to counteract it. His came to the same conclusion as usual for these monster. He had to hit it when it was attacking him.

ID: 27017
MD: 8
Mack: 15/17 (-2 Dam.)
MWolf: 2/10

Mack jerked his grey eyed gaze in the direction of Beroeson for the briefest of moments when he heard the other warrior mention something about coming up with a new plan of action. That moment of distraction was all the large grey wolf needed. It darted forward and locked its jaws around Mack's left calf, clamping down hard. "Furry little bastard," the axe-man snarled, wedging the haft of Midnight Eclipse between the wolf's jaws and his leg and using the weapon's handle to pry the animal's jaws apart. Once he had freed his leg he clamped his hand down and scruffed the wolf, lobbing it away from him. It didn't go far, but at least it was a chance to get his feet reset.

ID:27020 MD:9

Beoreson's HP:14-3

Bwolf's HP:10

Beoreson takes a moment to consider his plan and thinks for a moment. He is almost one hundred percent sure that it will work. The wolf seeing that he was truly distracted lowers it body down and then, springs into the air towards him. Beoreson throws his arm up defensively. The wolf bite clamps down onto his arm and shakes it's head trying to tear his arm off. He then takes his sword and swings it downwards towards the wolf. The wolf springs back again away from his blade to wait for another moment of weakness.

ID: 27093
BD: 8
LD: 16
Mack: 15/17
MWolf: -1/10 (-3 Dam)

The grey furred attacker backed off it snarled and flecks of drool flew from its lips. Abruptly, it coiled its legs beneath it and sprang forward, jaws wide, as it launched another attack. In a lightning fast move, the blonde soldier swung Midnight Eclipse across his body, whipping the blade through the air in a black and gold blur. The blade buried itself deep in the wolf's side and the creature yelped pitifully, dissolving into nothingness before its grey and white furred body had even had the chance to hit the ground.

With his foe dispatched, Mack didn't bother to touch the loot. Instead, he planted the haft of his weapon in the ground and leaned on the dull top part of the blade. His grey eyes followed the back and forth tussle between Beoreson and the wolf with some mild interest. For the moment, his fellow party member was doing just fine. Or, at least, he was in no danger of dying. "You're supposed to kill it, not play hoop-a-loo with it," the hulking blonde man shouted helpfully to Beoreson.

"Does the officer need the Sergeant to come save him? That would make the fantasy world the same as the real one." Mack chuckled at his own joke and continued to watch the back and forth between the wolf and Beoreson with about as much interest as he would watch a tennis match, pausing once to yawn loudly. "We can tag out whenever!"

ID:27026 CD:6  

Beoreson's HP:11

Bwolf's HP:10-2

Beoreson shouts to the blond soldier," Ha,ha very funny Mack. I just need to find a better sword, and for this wolf to stop moving so much."  Seeing that Beoreson is distracted the wolf leaps towards him. Beoreson manages to step to the right and brings his sword up. As the wolf misses him he brings his blade down on the wolf. The blade slashes off the wolf's tail as it goes flying by him. "Ha that's more like it, Mack if you don't want to wait on me then, you can go ahead and kill this thing, but I'm fine now that I know how to hit the thing." says the blacked hair warrior.

"If you change your mind, call out," Mack said, loud enough for Beoreson to hear him over the sound of the snarling, snapping, and now tail-less wolf. The blonde soldier had his doubts that the removal of the wolf's tail would make it any friendlier. Turning, instead, to the loot that the first wolf had dropped, Mack poked through it. Nothing too exciting to be found as there was only a roll of leather, a basic health potion, and a pickaxe. The axe-wielder allowed himself the tightest of grins as he recalled his first encounter with a pickaxe. Clearly, the wolf's loot was offering an easier way to complete the quest objective.

Gathering up the pickaxe, Mack returned to the rock. With a grunt, he swung the tool into the rock and was happy to see that some of the supposedly unbreakable rock's HP was chipping off. He continued to thwack away at the rock with the pickaxe, raining several more peeling blows down on the rock. When, at last, the rock had only the tiniest sliver of health points left Mack tossed the pickaxe to one side and then blasted the rock with a sharp kick from his right boot. The rock dissolved into nothingness and there was a soft ding to inform Mack that he now had access to the Martial Arts skill.

With his rock bashing completed, the blonde took up Midnight Eclipse and again leaned on the weapon to watch the ongoing battle between Beoreson and the wolf.

Edited by Mack

ID:27034 MD:9

Beoreson's HP:11-3

Wolf HP:8

((The dice gods abandoned me when I logged in to this site, :( ))

Beoreson just can't seem to catch a break when it comes to wolves, as he seems to always almost gets super injured fighting them. Beoreson slowly realizes that he needs to kill the thing faster but, he can't think of a way. As he started thinking about it again the wolf launched another attack. The wolf leaped into the air, and Beoreson threw his arm up again. Seeing that he is fighting a losing battle he caves in to the fact he might need help."Erm, Mack I got about one more hit from this wolf before I'm going to need you to bail me out. I should be fine if I can just stop this wolf from hitting me aga--" Just then the wolf leaps at him again, and Beoreson manages to bat the wolf away with his sword.