[[COMPLETE]] [PP-F4] <<Avalanche>> The Grave Blizzard (Grave)

(I think it should be a rule that any thread you're in has to have a Grave pun in the title. Haha sorry)

I sat in the outside seating area of a familiar floor one cafe. It was a beautiful day in Aincrad, if not a little too hot for my taste. I lounged there drinking coffee as I thought about which quest to do next. Eventually I chose one I heard about on the fourth floor. It was called Avalanche and if you managed to beat the boss he dropped a rare item. I had been to that floor before and really enjoyed it so I figured I might as well give that one a shot. The only problem, like before, was who to ask for help. Abalasster was out because I knew he was busy. I hadn't heard from Starrine in awhile and I didn't feel comfortable bringing Glory along. Of course I'd never as Mack if my life depended on it. In times like these being a loner had its down sides. My only hope at this point was to see someone I knew walking by on the street. Like my luck could be that good. 

Edited by Koumori
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a quest hunter if you will, but I'd caught word of a quest on the Fourth Floor, the same floor the Blades had been formed on, where the aim was to defeat a giant Ice Elemental by the name of 'Avalanche'.  Although it was bloody freezing, I had to check it out... after grabbing myself a coffee.  I was pretty damn tired.  However, when I strolled past one specific table on my way into a small coffee shop... I spotted a familiar (and rather bored) face.  Without asking, I took a seat opposite the brown haired boy. "Long time, no see, Ko... Koum... Friend." I finished, the name still hard to say for me. "What are you doing up here in the freezing cold weather?"

Well that was it. I just used up all the luck in my body for at least the rest of the year. Just as the thought crossed my mind, Grave came strolling towards the cafe. It didn't take him long to notice me and once he did he promptly took a seat across from me. Had to give the guy points for forwardness. He sat down and...attempted to greet me. I could tell he remembered my name, but he was having a hard time pronouncing it still. It was a little funny to watch him fail so miserably at what I considered to be such a simple name. I chuckled a little bit as I adjusted my weight to rest my elbows on the table between us. "You can make up a nickname for me if that would be easier, Grave" I said with a grin on my face. "I heard about a quest here and I was thinking about trying it out. What about you?" After he asked that I began wondering the same thing myself: what was he doing up here. He didn't strike me as the guy who'd go out on private walks so he must have a reason. Maybe it was the same as mine. Unless he planned on visiting the lake with some girl. 

"I'll come up with a nickname at some point." I told Koumori with a light chuckle. "I also came here for a quest.  <<Avalanche>>, right?" I asked, hoping he'd be doing the same one as myself.  When an NPC waiter came around, I called him to the table. "One coffee please.  Black, one sugar." I ordered and nodded to Koumori for him to make his order. "This one's on me." I offered, shifting in my seat. "So... Mori," Alright, that was quick. "What's new?  Hope you and Mack haven't butted heads again, recently.  Especially now that said giant has almost half an army backing him." My voice began to trail off on the last sentence.

"Yeah that's the one" It looked like Grave was here to do the same quest as me. Really was perfect timing. "Might as well go it together then." I said as I readjusted myself in my seat once more. Grave offered to pay for my drink (that was happening a lot recently) so I reluctantly accepted. After he made his order I made mine "Coffee cream and 2 sugars" It took a lot of sweetness for me to enjoy coffee. I always thought it was bitter. Once we were settled Grave spoke again. So it looked like he already had a nickname for me. It struck me as odd as it was the part of my name that he hadn't pronounced earlier. It didn't bother me though, he could call me whatever he wanted. When he mentioned Mack a smile formed on my face before it was taken away by a scowl. Yeah, some things had happened. "Oh nothing much. Just that time when he ejected me out of his shop by bashing me with his axe. I just love it when he attacks me for no reason." He also mentioned Mack's guild. "Don't even get me started on that. I don't know what to say about the almighty Mack and his practically self proclaimed minions."

Edited by Koumori

My eyes went wide when Koumori's tongue turned sharp about my guild. "Mori, be careful who you say that to. I'm the Grand Officer there." I scolded him with a scowl. "Watch out who you're talking to when you say those kinds of things." I relaxed back into my seat, and let the silence cover us like a veil for a moment, until the hot drinks arrived.  I nodded my thanks to the waiter and paid in advance so Koumori and I could just fly the coop when we were ready. "So... Have you given thought on joining a guild?  There are quite a few out there that seem to be lacking members." I explained, taking sips of my coffee in between.

Grave got pretty angry at what I said and I couldn't understand why until he finished lecturing me. I had totally forgotten Grave was a member of the guild, that or I didn't know. Normally I would apologize to him, but what he just said to me really pissed me off too. I knew after that I wasn't joining a guild. I leaned back in my seat and crossed my arms. "Grave, sorry about this, but you just proved why I don't want to join a guild. You don't have to be high and mighty like that. You guys aren't in control of the rest of us, we can say whatever we want and it changes nothing. There are tons of guilds, you're just one of them. They're like school clubs, not the student council. And here, no one is in charge. It's okay to work together for our common goal, but it's another thing to impose higher authority. Have you heard about the guys that are trying to collect taxes from all the players on their floor?" I stopped as our beverages arrived and took a sip before resuming. "I didn't mean to dump all of my problems on you, you just set something off. I have nothing against you personally." That outburst was really out of character for me. I couldn't afford any more bad impressions. 

Edited by Koumori

I burst into laughter when he went on explaining about authority. "Mori, I think you took what I said the wrong way.  I'm not saying we're in charge or anything, our entire guild knows that.  I'm just saying that some people don't like it when you insult their guild... Because really it feels like an insult to themselves, like they've picked the wrong group to affiliate with.  Just be careful next time, alright?  We cool now?" I still had a massive grin on my face.  It amused me how much that one reply turned the entire conversation upside down.  I took another few sips of my coffee.  After a moment of silence I chuckled again. "Well, that escalated quickly!"  

It looked like Grave hadn't meant what he said the way that I took it. Although with the tone he used it was hard for me to take it any other way. He explained his actual intention, one that I could understand much better. Should probably clear things up on my end too. "It looks like I did. Quite the wrong way. When you put it like that I get what you mean" But I just couldn't resist. I had to end with a dig at Mack. "I'll be careful..but if I ended up in Mack's guild that's exactly how I'd feel. I think you'd know that all too well" I said bursting into laughter myself. I leaned back in my chair to relieve the tension. "Yeah, we're good." I chuckle at Graves next comment. "Haha quickly is right." I realized that we should probably get going, leave the awkwardness behind. I finished my drink and set the cup on the table. As I stood up I told Grave what I was thinking. "Might as well get going now, i don't know how long this'll take and I don't want to run out of daylight." I walked over to the front entrance of the seating area waiting for him to respond. 

Edited by Koumori

(I've currently got a mask ready for evaluation from another thread, so I'd rather postpone any battle until I get my mask approved)

"You should still find a guild to go join.  The Silver Moon seems to fit you nicely.  Talk to them maybe." I suggested, before sculling the rest of my coffee.  It rapidly cooled from the freezing weather.  I stood up from the table and began to make my way through town, motioning for Koumori to follow.  The chilly wind caused my coat to billow out behind me, and I breathed out through the collar buttoned up around my jaw.  I slipped the thumbs of my gauntlets into my coat pockets as I made a trail through the frozen streets, towards the quest area.  I couldn't wait to give my new mask a shot.

(Fine by me haha. I think combat is kinda boring anyway.)

"Maybe I'll look into it, but guilds really aren't my style." He got up with me and we began walking through the town. The wind was picking up and the frigid air was beginning to nip at my exposed skin. I reached up and adjusted the scarf that was around my neck so it covered my nose and mouth and lifted up the hood of my long, black coat. Without any gloves, the best I could do was stick my hands in my pocket. Once we finally came to the quest area, I approached the NPC and absentmindedly listened to his spiel about the mission. Having accepted the quest I stepped out onto the field, Grave behind me, and looked out. There seemed to be a heavy storm. Small flakes of snow were whipping around back and forth in the freezing air and any water had long since frozen solid. I turned to my companion for the quest and spoke it him. "Looks like we didn't pick the best day." I braced myself again as I continued my trek. We didn't seem to be encountering any monsters yet so an awkward silence had fallen between us. I decided it would be best to have a talk once more. The only thing that came to mind was the guild, and it seemed natural since that's what we'd been discussing. I yelled over the wind, "so, how are things going at the guild. Anything interesting?"

The wind was definitely picking up, but I didn't think I'd need Crimson Cross yet.  I heard Koumori call to me from behind, asking about the guild. "Yeah, few days ago Mack decided to embarrass his apprentice for..." I could helpbut laugh out loud into the frigid air. "Attempting a nut shot on him during training!" It was ironic telling Koumori this, as he was the first to attempt (and ultimately succeed) with such a cheap tactic. "Got myself an apprentice, Carambit, another wielder of terrible puns... And went into a dark cave with a real sexy recruit, I might add." I finished at the end, waiting for Koumori's possibly awkward response.

I could hear Grave laugh before he answered me, so I knew it would be something good. Unfortunately, it was something I had already heard. But it was something so hilarious I'd laugh everytime I heard it. I'd also play it off like this was the first time. I laughed hard as I imagined the event in my head, still chuckling as I spoke. "No way, that's unbelievable. Too bad they missed haha. I think I'd like this person." I did like that person, Shirosu. In fact, we were already good friends, something Grave would probably discover soon. I was still not fully composed when he continued his report, something about an apprentice and a sexy recruit. Grave seemed pretty happy about that last part, and I was curious. I wasn't interested in the girl for myself, but as a fellow guy of course I wanted to know the details. I turned to look at him as we walked so he could see my fave better. Grinning I said, "A sexy recruit? Don't hold out on me here. Spill it. What's she like, do you have your eyes on her?" Then I leaned in and nudged him with my elbow. "And what's this about a dark cave?"

Edited by Koumori

(As I have yet to finish my thread with said sexy recruit, I'm going to have Grave try to get out of answering. Once I do finish, though, I might have Grave tell Koumori XD)

I sighed when Koumori pressed on about Opal. "Well, she approached me when I was taking the <<Let There Be Light>> quest and-" But he didn't let me finish before asking if I had my eye on her.  My cheeks flushed crimson. "W-well... I guess I do... She's the only girl I really have a shot with, not to mention she's my age..." And then he sprung 'the question'. "Well, the quest takes place in a cave, you see." I tactfully avoided any happenings within. Right there and then I shut up, refusing to say any more.  I felt like punching something - preferably not Koumori if I could help it - to let off a tad bit of steam... My question was what to punch?

Edited by Grave

(Haha oh Opal, I've heard some stories. Koumori will like to hear this one too :D)

Grave seemed pretty apprehensive about answering my questions as he sort of dodged the issue. That was fine though, he'd tell me what it was eventually. "Heh, alright you don't have to tell me everything now. But good for you, already scoring with a girl." I said back to him light heartedly. I didn't know much about Grave but he seemed like a good guy so I could only assume the same was true of the girl. "But promise you'll tell me some other time. We guys don't get enough gossip in here." It was good the conversation was taking this direction, considering how we started off. It was still awkward, but in a much different way. We continued trekking through the snow for a little while longer until we reached about the point where monsters could begin to spawn. I didn't think either of us were worried about them though. The two of us should be able to get to the boss without any issue. The most interesting part of this thread would probably be our conversation. 

(Opal's a really interesting character, and the two of us have already started planning a little bit of a 'story arc' for our characters :D Not together, separate but to do with eachother.  Also, my mass's been approved, so I may as well start combat now)

I chuckled when Koumori said to tell him eventually. "One day I'll tell you, maybe even during the quest, depending on how I feel." I replied.  The snow was blowing thicker, and couldn't be bothered dealing with being half-blinded.  I scrolled through my inventory and equipped Crimson Cross. The golden mask materialized around my face, the transparent red cross dropping down over my eyes, and I felt the accuracy bonus activate.

Alright, maybe an accuracy bonus wouldn't have been pleasurable right at that moment.  I almost had a bloody heart attack as the mask caught sight of an incoming icicle, heading straight for my chest.  I dove to the side and slid through the snow, my eyes fervently trying to catch the monster that threw the icicle.  There it was; an Ice Elemental.  The only sign of my grin behind my mask was my raised cheekbones. "Alright, Mori, hope you're good with proper combat!" I called over my shoulder before turning back to my prey and charging.  Before it could even react, a plated fist had already come crashing into the side of its face, sending shards of ice flying in all directions. "Alright, your turn!"

---

ID: 30538

BD: 5 + 1 = 6 = Success (4 DMG)

MD: 3 = Failure

Grave: 37/37 HP [HATE: 1]

Koumori: 31/31 HP [HATE: 0]

Ice Elemental: 15/19 HP

(I'll bet she is. I was talking to her (him? I don't know) and apparently there's already tons of stuff played out for Opal's character. Should be interesting between you two)

(4 damage with only a normal success? What weapon are you packing dude?)

"Alright you have a deal" As we walked I looked over as Grave pulled up his inventory and materialized a strange mask on his face. It looked to have some sort of cross design and I could only guess what it's purpose was. No sooner did he equip it did he hit the deck to dodge an icicle that had been thrown right towards his chest. I turned to look in the direction it originated and saw an Ice Elemental running towards us. Grave yelled that he hoped I was good at combat before slamming the creature with his face and leaving an opening for me to strike. I drew Nightslayer from the scabbard on my back and prepared to charge the disoriented popsicle. "I know a thing or two." I calmly said to Grave before I began. Then, blade in hand, I lunged toward the creature as I heard my sword skill activate. I closed the distance between us in no time and began a devastating upwards slash before the creature had any time to react. The hit wasn't perfect, but it was good enough to do quite a bit of damage. Once my attack completed I leaped backwards out of the way and yelled to my companion once more "Switch!"

ID: 30542

BD: 9+1=10 (2 damage +2 for sword)

Grave 37/37

Koumori 31/31

Ice Elemental 11/19

Edited by Koumori

(One base unarmed damage, two more for two ranks in Martial Arts, then an extra damage and paralyze from my gauntlets. Soon I'm going to have Vasth craft me an item that boosts one skill by a rank, and I'll leave it to you to guess what skill that'll be XD)

Not bad, not bad at all.  Not only was Koumori efficient in hand-to-hand combat, he was pretty skilled with a blade too.  When he called to switch, I was ready.  I attempted to close the distance, but not before an icy fist collided with Koumori's abdomen.  Ouch, even without pain reception, the cold simulation must have stung.  To avenge my ally, I came in with a powerful right hook, my fist crackling with golden electricity.  Energy surged through the Elemental's body, paralysing it in place. "Well, take your shot.  I swear, if you miss, that will just be poor." I explained, chuckling.

---

ID: 30543

BD: 9 + 1 = 10 = Modified Crit +1 (5 DMG + Paralyze)

MD: 7 = Success (2 DMG)

Grave: 37/37 HP [HATE: 3]

Koumori: 29/31 HP [HATE: 2] (Remember these :P)

Ice Elemental: 6/19 HP + Paralyze

(I'll get cool stuff someday too haha. I also gotta finish threads to get precious SP)

I wasn't expecting what came next. I was still looking over at Grave when an icy fist jammed into my abdomen. The air from my lungs surged out of my mouth as I stumbled backwards. That thing packed a good punch. I only barely watched as Grave came forward again and pounded the walking icicle with his fists. His right hook also paralyzed the enemy, leaving him wide open for me to attack. I had already recovered and was ready to go in when Grave made another jab at me. I chuckled. "Dude who do you think I am?" I once again launched forwards toward the motionless enemy. My sword skill activated and I leapt and spun through the air, my blade slicing the enemy as I made my decent. I landed on my feet facing away from the ice monster but this time pivoted to my left and delivered another slicing hit to my foe. Satisfied with the damage, I flipped out of the way. Looking back at Grave I smiled, "That good enough for you?"

ID: 30546

BD: 9+1=10 (4 DMG)

Grave 37/37 [Hate 4] (no idea how hate works lol)

Koumori 29/31 [Hate 3] (still no clue haha)

Ice Elemental 2/19 + paralyze

Edited by Koumori

(One hit = 1 Hate. Crit +1 = 2 Hate. Crit +2 = 3 Hate. Whoever has more hate, the mob attacks.  It's in the Combat Skills section in the tutorials)

Thank goodness, Koumori actually hit the walking iceberg while it was paralyzed.  I elicited a sigh of relief as I watched the swordsman's blade cleave through the icy body of the Elemental.  It was time to finish. "Ready for the ice-ing on the cake, Mori?" I called, my voice metallic through the mask.  Warvan's Sons glowed cyan and I closed the distance between myself and the still paralyzed monster.  My left crashed into the side of the Elemental's head, before my right executed a finishing blow and smashed through the abdomen, shattering the icicle into shards of ones and zeroes.  I raised a hand to my mask and set it up to the top of my head, throwing a grin to Koumori.

---

ID: 30639

BD: 7 + 1 = 8 = Success (4 DMG)

MD: Paralyzed

Grave: 37/37 HP [HATE: Cleared] (Would have been 4 this post)

Koumori: 29/31 HP [HATE: Cleared] (Would have been 4 due to your Crit)

Ice Elemental: *DEAD*

LD: 5 = Ice Shards (Mat)