[SP-F7] Arc 1: The Temple Hidden in the Mountains [Complete]

Story 1: The Way of The Ninja

“Teleport! Nimbus!”

Her avatar was captured by the glowing light of the platform as she was sucked into the glowing of the light. Mere moments had passed and she was on floor seven in the main establishment of Nimbus, the mountainous city fort. This was also the same level where Beoreson and set up his shop, unfortunately, because of the circumstances of her situation and her training, she was unable to receive or send messages to anyone locating her position. She swept her hands through her menu and she turned off all of her alerts and incoming messages. For the next month to two months, she would be in solitary confinement and with the only company was Sensei Myoga. Her chest went in and out as she nodded her head, flicking the long tendrils of black hair from her face and shoulder. She was not given specific directions on locating the Temple hidden in the mountains, but that didn’t mean she knew exactly where to go as they were all kind of misleading. Basically the note said: “Hidden in the Mountains.”

“What. An. Ass.” She thought to herself reading the note from her menu. She placed a hand over her head to block out the sun. She had camping gear ready and some of the basic water and bread left over from her first time in SAO. She would be alright in searching for the place. 

Edited by Opal

And thus her journey started in search of the Hidden Temple in the Mountains. She had started early that day waking up at an early hour of about 7am to get things started. She packed what she could, said her last farewells and was gone. She had an exciting journey to look forward to and the amount of experience she would learn from the Grand Master of the Katana. Opal was well on her way to bigger and better things, ones that should would not learn or gain from being in the guild of players known as the Crimson Blades. While Mack was…something of a rough guy, he was good at what he did and that was amassing an army. She wondered if that was a pivotal role in his direction as Grand Master, the more people the more labor could be worked out, all in a military style of course. She trusted Lindow and his decisions, but she was her own woman now. And this first step of her life was one she was making for herself to be who she wanted to be, and not who she needed to be for the sake of another. As she reached the starts of the mountain pass, all she could was dread the slope and the changes in temperature she was going to have to endure. She sighed and flicked the black raven hair from her shoulder, one small step for Opal. One giant leap for...sanity. 

The mountain air felt nice, but that was becoming more or less disdainful as the nippy weather was chilling her exposed skin. The higher she went up, the colder it was getting. She ran her palms across the sleeves of her jacket as she attempted to warm up her body from the bitter winds clawing at her body. It was a horrible time to be so scantily clad and unable to layer normal clothes below the ones she was already wearing. Sighing, she continued her trek up the mountain path; hopefully this was the right mountain for that matter. Her honey colored eyes winced as the harsh cold wind blew across her face, uplifting her raven hair and clawing at her neck. She shuddered from the cold and fell down to her knees. She cursed lightly under her breath, was the weather forcing her back down? She got angry and stood up and pushed with all her might against the raging wind nipping at her face. She would not relent, not when she was getting closer to the damn temple.  As the wind bit harder against her face, the more she pushed on not allowing the wind, the weather or Sensei Myoga’s destination get to her. This was part of the battle, part of growing up. She had to deal with it, there was no time to act like a spoiled brat.

Her delicate hands leaned on a nearby stone statue as she was panting from the long trek upwards. Finally she came up to more solid ground a heavily walked upon path that seemed to wind and twist but not going up, but instead around the mountain. At this time, the wind seemed to die down as well which was a huge blessing. She didn’t know how long she had been walking for but her ankles were sore, the arches in her feet were hurt and she felt a stabbing pain in her chest from breathing in the cold air. She had no idea how Lindow enjoyed this cold weather on floor four. As she continued to march through the mountain paved pathway she came upon a small hollow cave. Always with the caves…she wondered and shook her head, light wisps of hair coming undone from behind her ear. It was a good place to stop and eat and get some water in her system. She quickly moved to that hollow inlet and sat against the wall and leaned against it.

She brought her knees up to her chest and chewed on the dreadful piece of bread she brought with her, and drank sips of her canteen of water. It was no glorious meal, but it would due until she had something with a bit more taste. She rested her head against the rocky wall wondering how many other players had come across this place. The chilly air was still surrounding her despite her being out from the weather. Her head titled to the side and she thought about being in a warm bed. She sighed again and again. Her eyes started to flutter open and close, almost like the mountain was messing with her. She shook her head and got up to her feet, took a deep breath and let the hollow cave.

Her search continued and she was going through and down at an incline down from the mountain path. Her boots slid along an icy part of the path and she did what could do move herself steadily along without falling over the edge. She hugged the wall as there was a narrow strip of land and then a drop off point in the mountain. She grunted.

“Crap…is this dead end or do I need to jump this cliff?” She looked around her, she could backtrack and look for a different path, but then that would waste another hour or so. Opal took several steps back, “Ah the hell with it!” then she started to run, her legs were beyond sore from the cold winds nipping at them on and off and while the jacket offered minor protection from the elements, it was not enough to keep her from freezing. But with vigor in her step, the jacket billowed out as she jumped across the narrow strip of land and towards the edge of the cliff. In her free fall, her hand latched onto the edge and her fingers sank into the cold ground. She grunted and pulled herself up and finally got her second hand up there and pulled even harder. Her body felt weak and strained as she lifted her petite frame up and over the edge. She gasped and wheezed and crawled on her knees to a stable foundation. Her body fell forward into a patch of frosty ground. She at least made the jump. 

The paved path no longer seemed paved, and seemed more treacherous with each passing step she took. The wind once more picked up in the area, and the harsh mountain cold was clawing up through the sleeves of her jacket and she nearly froze in place when the sudden chill swept through her body. Her teeth chattered as she hugged her body once more and lowered her heads from the wiping winds. Her long black hair billowed out from behind her as she came to a dead end. “Great…now what?” she took a step back; she could climb up the cliff by the looks of it. She sighed and shook her head; it seemed like too much trouble. She dropped her hands to her hips and then slowly started to work her way up the wall of the mountain. Her eyes blurred from the wind, a sudden gust took her by surprise and her right hand slipped, then her left leg and she came crashing down to the ground. She fell over on her side and cursed one word after another. She felt somewhat dizzy, cold, and achy. Hot bath is what she needed, a cigarette break and a beer. She had none of these things, save the cigarettes that she was willing not to smoke. She made a promise that she would not until her training was over, or even after that. She thought Master Myoga would disapprove of such bad habits and thus…her virtues of being a good girl were quickly becoming a burden to her dirty habits. 

Getting up from her position after the quick little recap, she got back on her feet and stared at the wall in front of her. She might regret this, but if she wanted to scale this mountain, she was going to need her maneuverability to be at max and her jacket was causing her to misjudge her steps in the cracks. Giving her menu a quick scroll, she partially unequipped the Treasure Seeker Jacket, and felt the bitter bite of the cold winds clawing over her exposed flesh. She mentally cursed and started to climb the mountain’s wall. She blinked away tears from the harsh winds that were blowing over her delicate face. She winced with pain as she felt a throbbing in her right leg, the pain and the wind was not making this an easy task for her. As she continued to ascend the walls of the mountain she could feel her arms begin to numb up from the cold, soon she would probably lose all feeling in them and then slowly plummet to her death.

Instantly regretting that notion that sat swimming in her thoughts, Opal grunted and rose to the challenge and bit down on her bottom lip. She brought her body up and over the edge of the cliff and fell face first into a pile of cold snow. She shivered in place huddling over into a fetal position. Her teeth were chattering as she got up on her knees and stated outwards. Exactly ahead of her was something of protruding stone monuments. She got up, shaking from the cold and then squints her eyes to get a better look. While doing that she moved her hand over the menu, the warm jacket once more devouring her body and shielding her form the penetrable cold weather. 

As she dusted the powdered snow off the monument, she found that it was some sort of stone dragon head attached to a pillar, “What is this?” she wondered, there were several of them around her and they were all pointing or looking directly into the center. She took a step back and found the center portion of the surrounding dragon heads. Within a moment’s time she heard a disembodied voice as clear as day ring out.

“If you break me, I do not stop running. If you touch me, I may be snared. If you lose me, nothing will matter…What am I?”

Opal’s teeth chattered as she looked absent mindedly all around her, holding her arms with a tight grip to keep her from freezing to death. She spun around looking up into the sky, “What the hell is this? A riddle? The [censored] should I know? Jesus…its cold! I’m hungry! I’m starting to get angry…!” No matter how much she cursed and complained, nothing was going to change her situation. She had to stop and be calm and think of an answer to the riddle.  She bit down on her lower lip while shivering and stared around, she had to break it up into parts if she wanted to answer this without screwing it up. Perhaps it was a test by Master Myoga? If that was the case, then she was on the right path to the right set of mountains after all. 

Edited by Opal

“Heart!” She rang out finally answering the riddle. There was a slow rumbling noise beneath her feet and the stoned dragon heads were moving downwards into the ground. When this happened, the mountain path before her seemed to break apart revealing steps that were leading up. Opal continued to shiver, holding her arms around her body as she slowly started to walk up the steps. With each step that she took, she felt more and more excited that she might actually have found the temple at long last. She hurried a little, feeling the warmth come back to her body as she now stepped more lively onto the steps. When she reached the top, there was another set of massive steps leading upwards that was nearly seven times as long as the ones she just passed. Her jaw dropped, there had to be an easier way to get up there? “How the hell does that old rickety man climb these steps every day to go somewhere?” she complained and shivered once more, her will to go on was slipping as fast as her need to train with old man Myoga.

She grunted and did what she needed to do and that was to climb the steps into the heavens. Each press onward felt more agonizing than the last, it was boring, cold, she was hungry…starving nearly as she felt the rumble in her tummy. She lowered her head in defeat and slowly made her way up the steps. When she thought she was getting closer, it seemed much further away. Like her eyes were playing tricks on her or something.  She was indeed not enjoying herself. 

Before her honey colored eyes were a massive complex, a cement road that seemed to lead to the main housing of the huge Japanese styled building. To her right was a rather large temple gated off with pieces of paper. All around her she could smell the faint aroma of cherry blossoms as it wafted in the cold wind. To her north stood the old man, clutching a cane in his hand, a long katana scabbard to his left thigh. His eyes were a deep set of emerald green, just as she remembered. He had no hair to call his own save the fu manchu beard on his face. The woman shivered lightly, but felt warmer by the moments passing her. She slowly made her way to the Master.

“Did you bring the required items? The one handed curved blade and the Shinobi attire created by a tailor?” he asked.

“Yea…” she said in an exhausted tone. The next moment she realized, she was on her back and her eyes looking up into the sky, “One of your first lessons is that of respect of your Master. And then respect the environment, the people around you, even the grass and the air.” He said stepping away from her as he looked down at her. He had used his lightning speed and flexibility to drop her to the ground. She cursed lightly, “I ask again…Did you bring the required items?” a tone much more stern than the last.

“Yes, Sensei!” as she said that, his eyes narrowed at her, “Then we shall begin immediately…” 

“What? Now? I’m [censored] exhausted! I haven’t eaten, I’m tired and pissed!”

Master Myoga addressed her with an open trade. In the slot he traded her set of two different clothing items and a Bokkan? She looked up at Master Myoga, she was afraid to complain about being hungry and tired. Perhaps this was part of the strengthening and discipline she was to learn from the Grandmaster of the Katana. She accepted the items and was then asked to change into the gear.

“Excuse me, Sensei. I thought I would be using my own equipment for this training…” she wondered. She had indeed spent quite a number of materials getting these items and she didn’t want them to go to waste just like that.

“Shinobi wear the garb of darkness, you are not Shinobi. You are but a budding flower, soon you will be able to wear and use those items which I asked you to bring. Until then they are forbidden to use. Dress quickly into your keikogi and hakama and equip your Bokkan!”

Opal gave Master Myoga a blank stare, turning around and clicking a few items on her menu. Soon the exhausted girl was enveloped in a white light and then it quickly dispersed around her as she was now in the practice garb and holding a wooden stick that looked like a katana. She looked to Master Myoga with a slight smile, “Well…I guess it’s pretty…?”

The old man stroked his facial hair and gestured the woman to follow him. They moved towards the temple that seemed to have some sort of protective barrier around it. She didn’t understand the old Japanese culture of things, but they looked like charms or something protecting the building? The old master waved his hand and the barrier was gone, he led them to the steps and he slid the door open.

It looked like a dojo upon exploring the inner works of the temple. The floor was shiny and slippery, she thought she was standing on ice when she first entered but before she could take a step inside the interior, Master Myoga thrust his hand in front of her to stop her movements, “We bow for respect, honor and strength. Respect for enemies, allies and those around us.” Master Myoga bowed his head, Opal imitated and then followed. As they walked in, surely enough she almost slipped on the slippery floor. Her bare feet were skidding across and coming to a full stop.

“Sit down in the center, Opal-san.” Opal looked to Myoga Sensie and moved towards the center of the room. The walls were highly decorates with prints of Japanese dragons and Japanese symbols which she was unfamiliar with. She sat down on both her knees as her teacher stood and slowly fell to the floor sitting.

“Lesson one, Opal-san. Respect. Respect is a word that should not be taken lightly. As I have mentioned before, respect your enemy, respect the world around you, and respect the grass and the air. And most important, respect of body and mind.  This is a valuable lesson that all Shinobi and Samurai or any Japanese cultured man and woman should know. You are a woman who has used her body out of disrespect of nature, of her mind, and disrespecting of those around her. While there is a time and reason to use those assets, the majority of which should not be used to cater your own selfish reasons. Females are not shinobi inherently. While they can train and act as such as men, they are more valuable as assassins or decoys. Respecting yourself will be a challenge but one that you will quickly accomplish with time. And we shall use your assets as a weapon to gain the advantage in a mission, not for sex and lust.”

Opal felt the angry nerves in her body twitch as her palms turned to fists, Myoga had noticed her tense change in her person, “Lesson two…Anger…”

Opal snapped her head up, “Hey! Are you gonna belittle me the entire—“ whack! As quickly as it happened, the girl had a thick red splotch on her face where the wooden katana smacked her. She was dumbfounded to say in the least, she didn’t even see the old man move and yet…she stopped and said nothing.

“Your anger needs to be controlled, harnessed and exploded at something else rather than petty arguments. You have a fire burning inside that seems to build and build without being stoked. We must learn to control our rage and our anger and place it into something positive and nurturing. Anger can be deadly if used correctly, but you show too much emotion and lack discipline in the concept of patience. When to use your anger and how to use your anger are important to the Shinobi just as much as their own tools.”

“I have always been a hot headed woman, I’d like to think of myself as balanced…but there are certain times when people will talk to me, or belittle me or even complain the way I act or do things. I can’t control myself or my anger. I’ve struggled with it for years, smoking helps me calm down most of the time though…”

“Then we shall meditate on this. Your anger is not a bad one, just merely misplaced. When you start becoming true Shinobi, the world you see with your eyes now will forever change and you will realize the light and the darkness in ways only the Shinobi can see. Reflect what you have learned so far…and meditate as I do, sit as I do, relax and breath…in long…..breath out slow…..”

Opal did as she was told. She relaxed her body and closed her eyes, there was a sweet scent in the room and her stomach almost rumbled. She had not eaten in a while and she felt the energy in her body quickly drying out like an empty well. She breathed none the less and eventually she started to notice things she didn’t notice earlier.

As she was meditating, the area around her seem to blossom like a flower before her. She couldn’t tell what was happening with her eyes open. She noticed the small breeze inside, the cool wind blowing over her and sweeping her hair gently, the sweet aroma in the room, almost a honey scent as it lingered with other unknown aromas she couldn’t place. She felt a peace that she had never felt before, was it this room that was causing all these things to occur and to happen? Her Sensie was breathing, in and out much like she was, but she wondered how long this would take? He said she needed to learn patience as well, another lesson she would know little of. All the while she continued to experience these odd feelings come and rush over her. The room almost felt alive with every exhale of her chest, she would then inhale the life of the room as it sent a mysterious energy through her body.

The more this happened, the more her body fell at ease and her soul and body seemed to glow in harmony of peace. This was an odd feeling for a big city girl like Vivian. She had nearly forgot about all the shops and fashion she used to be giddy about, but now…this was new, strange and unfamiliar territory. Did she really have what it took to be a Shinobi?

Opal’s eyes fluttered as they were closed, her stomach grumbled loudly and she winced when it happened. Master Myoga’s eyes opened slowly, “You have not eaten, have you? I shall make some tea for us as well as prepare a room for you to sleep in. I believe you have learned a great deal today. The journey here was a test. You have proven yourself to be here, you show a great promise Opal-san. Follow me…” 

She breathed out slowly one last night, her eyes never fluttered when he spoke until he addressed her. She got up and followed him outside, the color of the cherry blossom trees were a gorgeous shade of pink and they fluttered around towards the ground and into the slowly changing night sky. He lead her out of the temple and back to the large Japanese style house.  They entered the cozy establishment and she was simply amazed at how simple everything was nothing extravagant or gaudy, no bright or colorful paintings although there were some wood and ink carvings on the walls along with a myriad of different katanas.

“Through here you may bathe and dress. I have traded you a Kimono set that should fit your figure. I am sure you can adjust it the way you like. When you are through, follow this small hallway and take the door to the left.”

She nodded as the old man started to walk away, “Master Myoga!”

“Yes, Opal-san?”

“…Thank you…”

“Don’t thank me yet…you’ll be hating me tomorrow.” He said with a wrinkled smile and walked away.

Opal stepped inside the bathroom noticing two different sections. There was a bathtub of course and a sit down room with a sprayer. She didn’t know the traditions that the Japanese used, being from the states and not really big into other cultures. She unclothed herself none the less and sat down on a small stool and the sprayer turned on as she started to wash her body. The room had become steamy as the warm water circulated around the room. The female took great care rubbing her muscles from the long trek up the mountains and the dirt seemed to steadily come off along with the scent of sweat and lavender replacing with a clean smell. She pulled the sprayer above her head and her black hair had become wet and stuck to her body. She had finished her prewash and then started to soak herself in the tub; she relaxed gently in the water. Lifting a leg up, she smoothed her skin and the muscles in her bones before lowering it to do the other. It had been a long time since she felt this good as her body relaxed and replenished those tired muscles. 

As she stood out of the bath water, she wrapped a pure snow white colored towel and hugged it around her curvaceous body. Her hair dripped from the previous wash and she stood in front of a long body length mirror. She twisted and turned as she posed in front of it, a force of habit to make sure she wasn’t gaining too much weight, but in this world was probably not possible. Still though…

The raven haired woman dipped her body forward as her long black hair unraveled towards the floor. She gave it a few shakes with a dry towel and then skimmed through her inventory. She had received a kimono and was told to wear it when she was through with her bath. Tapping the indicated buttons, her figure flashed in light and she appeared in a beautiful silk kimono that was perfect for her bust and size. The patterns reminded her of a weeping willow tree; it was a beautiful piece of fabric.  She sat down at one of the vanity mirror and began to redo her makeup, touching a few icons she selected a green eye shadow and a heavy black eye liner for her eyes to pop. Hopefully it wasn’t too much for the old man; he had yet to show any pervy side of him. 

She touched up her long hair giving it a new style to show off with a matching pink flower accessory to keep the pieces in place. Feeling comfortable with her look and attire, she opened the humid bathroom and walked out into the hall. Whatever was in the other room, it was making her stomach gurgle, and she could smell the aroma as she got closer. 

As she walked down the hall, the door that was leading to the far room on the left was open and out before her eyes was a huge spread of food all Japanese cuisine. Her mouth watered as she looked at the delicious food, there was so much as well. Her Sensei sat at the opposite side of the table and gestured for her to sit. She bowed respectfully and he smiled as he saw her in that green kimono.

She sat down on her knees and smoothed out the fabric as she rested her hands in her lap, “I have prepared a special feast in honor of you and your training. However, meals like this will not occur every day. I do not wish to break your spirit as you have shown you are somewhat fragile but in time you will be tempered into steel much like the katana you will one day wield with deadly efficiency. By the way, you look quite more becoming wearing that Kimono than you did in your Treasure Seeker Costume. “ he added shortly.

“Thank you, Sensei. It is very beautiful…I have never worn one before and I wasn’t if I wrapped it right. The game pretty much did the rest.” Her stomach growled and grumbled with the scent of food so close by, she was doing all she could from not tearing in and eating everything in sight.  Master Myoga smiled and nodded his head, “Do as I do…bow your head and clasp your hands together and say; Itadakimasu.”

“Itakadasmanse?”
“Itadakimasu.”

Opal frowned as she continued to bow her head, “It...Itadakimasu.”

“Let’s eat.”

GsR2U6u.png

The food was delicious and she felt full, she had never had such great cooking before. Whoever the chef was must have been a Grandmaster to be able to make this feast, she looked to her Sensei, “Did…you make all this food?”

“What food?” he asked in a slightly amused voice, “I have a friend who enjoys cooking and they have made several meals for me to this day since the beginning of the adventure that is Death Game. I helped collect the materials and I was in return given food for my work. I normally spend my days here in this mansion, as it was paid for with long hours of grinding. However, because I am old and I know my body is failing in the real world, I am not able to travel as much as I’d like to. “

“Oh. I should like to thank this person one day, Sensei. I don’t mean to be so bold as to ask, but…did you ask me to be your apprentice because of the very fact that you are dieing?”

Master Myoga placed his cup of tea down on the table and nodded his head, “I had a wife back home she died from cancer and my children do not visit as often as they should. I have trained very few people in the modern world. Shinobi way of life is not a necessary in this day and age, but here…this game has allowed me to return to a youth that I once had, back when the ideas of bushido were still favorable. I am old and I am dying, there needs to be someone who can take what I have gained and used it to beat this unfortunate trap. Opal-san, you are that person. You will be a great Shinobi Warrior. And you will become a great person in kind.”

“Thank you, Sensei.” Opal drank from her cup, a warm tea that seemed to send her mind into a state of relaxation. 

As they finished their tea, Opal gave a low yawn placing her hand up to her mouth. Master Myoga got up from his seat, slowly and gestured for her, “I have prepared a room for you. I live in Japan at home, and I like the old style of doing things…” as he talked he slid a door open, the room was very basic but had a neat Zen like atmosphere with painted trees on the walls in a night sky, “This will be your room. The mattress is thin, but comfortable. You shall find a pair of clothing off to the side to wear outside of your Kimono. Tomorrow we train, and train hard. I shall wake you for breakfast and then the entire day will be dedicated to hardening your body…”

Opal nodded and thanked him; he returned and bowed his head sliding the door closed. The woman looked around and found that there was another door leading to the outside, she opened it and noticed a beautiful garden before her eyes, a sky lit with dozens of stars and a pond fool of coy fish. It was indeed as she pictured it to be from a time in history. She had a good meal and she had tea, but now she craved a cigarette. She wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to have these in her inventory anymore. She wanted to quit so bad, but she just couldn’t bring herself to doing it. She had dressed into her PJs and stepped outside on the steps, her lavender stick emblazed as she puffed on it and blew the smoke from her mouth as she slid backwards looking at the night sky.

“Opal-san?” Opal starred at her teacher just as she flicked the lilac petal ashes from her cigarette, her face flushes…”Oh [censored]…he caught me…”

Edited by Opal

Scrambling to her feet and holding the lavender stick, the old man gestured her to sit down and to relax, ”Smoking is a dirty habit and will ruin your health…” he said producing a long pipe from within his attire. Opal sighed lightly relieved he was not going to scorn her. He smiled at sat down next to her puffing on his pipe, “There will be times here, when the night time will be the best time for reflection. A day that goes by is a day that should not be missed…”

“It is beautiful here, the full moon, the cherry blossom trees, this serene environment…I could see myself living like this in the real world. I’m such a city girl though. However, I think when I am done…” Master Myoga had got up from the steps and turned to her with his eyes on the young woman.

“One that has come is one that does not come out. What you learn from me will forever be in you. And you will forever be in me. Get some sleep…”

She did not understand what he meant, though maybe a piece of her did. She slid her legs out from beneath her and had one final long drag before expelling the lilac smoke into the air. She would be a changed person coming out of this game; she would not be the same girl as before.