[SP:F7] Arc1: Story 3: Zen [Complete]

Story 3: Zen

As they had finished their breakfast, Master Myoga and Opal walked out from the home and then they circled around the back where there was a locked gate and a large wall blocking their path. The old man bent over and dug out the key from his shirt and unlocked the door that lead out to the Zen Garden. As the metal door opened with a loud creak, Opal’s honey colored eyes widened with disbelief at the beauty that unfurled before her eyes.

“What is this place?” she asked holding her mouth with a single hand as she looked all over. The landscape was beautiful with coarse bright orange sand in ripples surrounding large rock formations in no particular form or shape conveying mystery and awe those who look upon it.

“This is my Zen Garden. However, deeper into the land is also my Japanese garden. Come, follow me.”

They walked into the confined space but made sure not to mess with the unique rock formations and the sand designs that were raked into the scene.  

Edited by Opal

“Every stone place is a symbol of spiritual harmony mixed with the essence of nature around it. The sand is reminiscent of water rippling, and while the artist creates these masterpieces it is the on looker who discovers something new within themselves. Do you sense the harmony coming from nature here, Opal-san?”

Opal moved with her old master tailing behind him as she looked at the ocean of sand before her decorated with large and small stones in no particular order or formation. She was confused, “I don’t understand what I am looking at. It’s just rocks and sand…”

The old master laughed and stopped, his hunched over posture turned slightly around to meet the woman in the eyes and he took a frail hand and pointed out and then down as if he were dropping something into the ocean of sand.

“Should I release a pebble into a lake, what would happen?” he asked.

“Ugh…the pebble would fall to the bottom of the lake?” she replied with a question of her own.

“No, no…The water would ripple outwards and continue on and on. Would you not find peace and comfort in seeing the lake ripple before your eyes? The serenity it would guide to you?”

She sighed, “I’m sorry Master. I just don’t understand.” 

The old man motioned for her to follow once more, “Everything is of consequence in the world. Your decisions you make, the people you encounter, the answers you give. All things find balance and seek harmony even opposite that would otherwise pit against each other find tranquility around them in nature. To understand this, you must recognize the force of nature, listen to it... But do not hold it in your hand or in your mind. It must be free like the water, fluid and uncontrolled so that its essence may move through you without filter.” Opal nodded, still not understanding him. She was new to philosophy and this nature and harmonizing with it. She was a brash woman and lived her life without spiritual guidance or otherwise. She sighed and continued to listen to her teacher.

“You will come to understand this with time. Meditation will help you find your center, just be sure to remember what I have said. Quick question Opal-san, what is the first skill of the Shinobi?”

“Seishinteki kyōyō. Spiritual refinement, Master Myoga. You have driven that word into my head since I got here.”

“And for good reason! Come let us go to the garden.”

They passed by the abstract stone zen garden and walked out of the small fortress into the open grounds. Opal could hardly believe they were still on top of a mountain; the grass was so lush and green, as if it has never been disturbed. Colors of all kinds of flowers blossomed all around them as they strolled through the path of the garden.

“This is beautiful, Mater Myoga.”

“Hai. I often come here to meditate. The garden helps me reflect on my past, allows me to draw in clarity and rebalances my center. Keeps me young.”

The woman smiled and they continued on, Master Myoga once more attempting to teach Opal the wonders of nature, balance and harmony.

“Stop for a moment Opal-san. Do you remember that day of meditation, what you heard, what you sensed when your eyes are closed. I want you to close your eyes and tell me what you hear, smell, detect.”

Opal raised a brow and took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled out of her mouth. She closed her eyes and listened as if she were meditating. The sounds of the garden came to life, “Birds, and the scent of flowers…the trickle of s stream off in the distance. I feel the cool wind blowing through me, the air soft and peaceful.”

“Deeper…” the old master said.

Opal opened her eyes and looked to her teacher, “Close your eyes, Opal-san. Go deeper into your senses, not what just is on the surface.”

She exhaled once more, her honey colored eyes fluttered rapidly before closing and she began to concentrate. Deeper he said, perhaps more philosophy she didn’t understand. As she drew in the breath of nature into her lungs she felt something weird or misplaced, her head titled to the left, her eyes still closed but she was seeing something in the darkness of her eyes.

“I see, something disturbing, dark…immortal. Here, right now in front of us.” She lifted a hand up in the air to try and feel it, “But…it’s not here…here. Like it’s around but away at the same time. A battle? Souls?” her eyes fluttered and she felt a wisp of a cold tear run down her cheek.

“The world is crying…” she said lowly as she looked at her Master. He nodded his head and looked down, “The world is dying. The souls those were damned here, leaving traces of their memories behind. Many have perished from the game, lost to both worlds. But their memories remain in people and they manifest themselves outwardly in some agonizing spiritual release. That is all for now…Follow me…”

Opal cleared the corner of her eye from the tear that had bloomed there. She didn’t know why or could not understand why she felt the need to cry or be sad, those that have died but their memories remained. Was she holding on too tight of the memory of Lindow? Could he not rest in peace or leave with her constant need of remembering him?

Opal followed Master Myoga through the rest of the garden, he pointed out certain flowers so she could remember what they looked like for her alchemy profession, “A shinobi can utilize the effects of some herbs and flowers as psychedelic drugs. You can instill fear into a person, love, hate, and unending need for revenge. As shinobi, we are killers and assassins. In this world, we look out for one another…however times there may be a need for death. To protect yourself, to protect one you love, or simply…to just kill. A shinobi must make the decision that is right for him. Not the one that is right for the world.” He explained to the woman.

“I don’t think I can ever take anyone’s life…”

“You say that now, until you are faced with that decision. And I hope you never do, but when and if the time comes. You can not hesitate…”

“Yes, Sensei…” She followed him further into his beautiful garden, the large trees hung over them blocking the path of the sun as they turned back to the direction of the temple. 

“We are not quite finished with your training for today, Opal-san…” Master Myoga had lead them back to the walls of the temple and the housing that was nearby, “Your body is still sore, but I will begin to teach you on an important technique utilized by the shinobi, Kayakujutsu.”

“Ooooh. We are going kayaking?” she seemed to brighten up from the comment, but her Master gave her an irritated glare.

“Kayakujutsu! The art of gunpowder! You are an alchemist; this is the best profession for the use of the shinobi as you can create a wide variety of good quality items to be used in certain situations. First, fire chi and earth chi. Earth is the base while fire is the agent of chaos. Spreading the flames out for enough to burn those in its path, but as an agent of chaos it can also be forced and used to your will. A control fire can create smoke, such as from a pipe or your…cigarettes. Smoke can cause a distraction to your enemies causing them to relocate and let down their guard as they examine the area.”

“I see, so it’s a form of trickery then. I could probably crystalize a replication of fire so that it gives off a certain effect when used. I’ll be sure to study up on that when I am able to.”

“Hai. Fire can be used for many things, Opal-san, not just combat. It can keep you warm, be a light, and a form of intimidation. Often some find fear in flames and burning to that you use as an advantage.”

The woman nodded and they continued to walk around the premises.

“We will go into Kayakujutsu later on in the forms of hand on training. But right now I am just teaching you the very simple basics. Another important part of being a shinobi is not only blending in with the cover of darkness, but as well hiding in plain sight. A shinobi can be in disguise to learn secret information, and even impersonate another person. To learn this use you must understand Hensōjutsu, the skill of concealing, disguise and impersonation.”

“I don’t think I can speak and talk like a guy, I can probably impersonate another female though. I suppose it would have its uses. Both comical and serious ones,” the woman said holding back a giggle. She could have fun with that skill once it was taught to her. She coughed slightly as Master Myoga looked back at the female. They went back inside the house to sit down and have hot tea as he continued to explain and talk about the other shinobi skills. 

Opal sat sipping her hot orange tea. She thought about the lessons she learned today from Master Myoga and the different skills and techniques the Shinobi use during their missions. There was a lot she needed to learn and understand in the ancient ways. It seemed like most of the skills were used in the cover of darkness or ones that would be used for outside world, she didn't know how they would relate to this game such as SAO. She figured she would ask to try and find more guidance from her Master.

"Excuse me, Master Myoga." the man set his teacup down and looked at her while stroking his long white mustache, "Hai, Opal-san?" 

"I don't know if this would come off as rude, but these skills seem more likely to be used in the real world instead of this one. How do any of these Shinobi skills relate to SAO in any shape or form? I can see perhaps the sneaking and hiding to be useful to escape PKers and the like, but the other methods don't seem to indicate anything of use here."

"I understand. It is important to know all aspects of the Shinobi world to harness its great potential. While some of what I teach you could not be done in the game, the wisdom behind it will help you. You can make use of the knowledge to stem new potent ideas in your craft or in others as well. The fundamentals of knowing are always going to be strong, you will need to know the foundation before you can learn the echelon of the Shinobi way."

Master Myoga lifted his cup up once more to take a sip of his tea, but his hands started to shake and his glass fell to the floor. Opal rushed over as her Master seeming fell limp in her arms, "Sensei!" the man was jostled as his eyes were fluttering then he looked back up at her and sat back upright holding his hand out to hers for balance, "I'm sorry to worry you...I will go take a nap. The day has been long for this old man...We shall talk more this evening. Until then, you may do as you please for the remainder of the day."

Opal watched as Master Myoga left the room and headed back to his bedroom. She gave a worried look, she knew he was old and dieing...and it was gonna break her heart knowing that he may end up dieing half way through her training. But that was something she would have to live through and not worry about, she would find honor and strength if or when that ever happens. She drank the rest of her tea and headed back to her bedroom and changed into her sports bra and shorts. The elastic material hugged her curvy boded as she stepped outside with her bokkan and headed towards the dojo. 

"Hiya!" the bokkan chopped down on the scarecrow as it was beat by her wooden katana. The shredding of its stuffing dispersed as she lifted her blade once more and slashed and hacked at the dummy. Light beads of sweat rolled from her face as she danced around with the sword in her hand, acrobatic manuevers and aerials were seen as she bounced lightly off her toes going high into the air and landing down dealing a sharp and lethal blow. The woman whipped her body around and planted the blunt blade into the heart of the dummy doll and then kicked the blade with her heel so that it plunged deeper into the stuffing of body. She placed a slender hand over the hilt and yanked it out as the scarecrow poofed after its durability had reached zero.

Opal tossed back a bottle of water and drank from the contents heavily and she placed the bokkan down on the ground and wiped away the sweat from her forehead. She looked around after taking a long gulp of her drink. She could try to practice her martial arts, of course without the proper skill she would be unassisted by the games mechanics, but that didn't mean should couldn't make the movements on her own. 

She shifted her palm out and struck the next dummy, she was surrounded by them as it gave her more targets to hit as she moved around. Her palm lay flat and she gave a sharp upward thrust with her fingers pointed out. She balanced on one leg and she leaned forward and struck the next dummy twisting around and hitting the side of its body with her bare ankle. Coming back to face she lifted her right hand upwards, the palm striking the chin and then flipping wildly over the targets landing behind the next one and thrusting both fists into the center.

"Ahem!" there was a gentle cough coming from behind her as someone was trying to get her attention. She whipped her head back, the long sweaty tendrils of her hair flourished behind her as she looked over her shoulder. It was Master Myoga, he wasn't as hunched over as he was before and seemed to be in a more erect form.

"Master Myoga, shouldn't you be resting?" Opal ran to her Master but he placed a hand out and then bowed. 

"I am quite fine thank you, plus I heard noise coming from the dojo. I was not expecting you to train after all the heavy work you have done through the week."

"I felt a strong desire to come here and just beat around the bags a bit. I could use a sparring partner though if your up to it." 

The man nodded and gestured her to the middle of the room. Opal moved towards the center of the room, placed her feet together and bowed with her fist pressed to her palm. The old master did  much the same, bowing and connecting his hands together and slid into stance, "Begin!" A small battle cry echoed out as Opal launched her first attack. Her tight fist connected with the palm of her master deflecting the blow to the right, using his elbow to move her arms upwards, he found two clean shots to her ribcage and pushed her twice in succession as she was pushed back by the force of the blow. 

Opal grit her teeth and pushed back towards the center, she lifted her leg and hooked it swinging it above his head, her movement was slow enough for the old master to push her leg upwards, grab her ankle and break her balance causing her to topple down to the ground. He smiled and took a step backwards, "Not much a spar when you a destroying me right now." 

"Hai...I am not even using my martial arts skills, you are too slow to move without the assist program but you are doing well. Without the assist on however, your moves are chaotic and your opponent will not be able to judge your attacks. You need to quicken your movements. Once more Opal-san...Begin!" 

"Chya! Chya! Chya!" Her fists came ringing out one after another, two quick blow that were easily followed by the teach, a snap of his wrist deflected one, a hand to the other and as the third came in he smacked it away once more. The female backed up feeling his palm of her tummy as he slid his foot forward forcing her back into the open. With her once more off balance, his body charged and he went in for the take down. His body moved faster than she could keep up with and moments later found herself staring at the ceiling and grunting. 

The old master helped her up as they bowed once more and took a seat. She shared her water with him and he was accepting of it as he drank lightly from the bottle. 

"You are growing both as a student and as a woman. Do not let martial arts get you down however, it is difficult especially against a veteran and there are so many styles that play important roles. You are to focus mainly on getting your Curved Blade rank up to three, and then work on your Katana rank thereafter. However you will need to balance those with your Sneak and Hide skill as well when you become proficient with that. Your build will be difficult to master, but it will be a culmination of both Shinobi and Samurai. The Samurai part of your training will come later of course."

The old master explained to her that she would be taking up a samurai style as well. She understood this from the beginning, it was difficult enough to understand the Shinobi Way and now compounding Samurai as well. She felt a little dizzy thinking about it. 

"How about we have a bite to eat and call it a night?" Master Myoga offered. 

Opal had rested on the cushion as she sat down in her kimono. She just recently had a long hot bath and felt very clean and comfortable. Her hair however was kept down instead up as it normally was. They ate together in silence as it seemed to be pretty normal, but on the table there was a large ceramic looking bottle and two smaller cups set aside. She had been eyeing those two items since she sat down and started eating her supper. She finished the last bit of her fish and noodles and drank a healthy portion of her tea before setting back down and looking to her master.

"Are you feeling well, Master Myoga?" 

"Hai. Do not worry about me, Opal-san. I might be old, but there is much more to teach you before I am to pass on. My body and my mind won't let go until my promise has been fulfilled. But enough of that, tonight we hold small celebration on your training. You have become dedicated to the last fiber of your body. Tonight we drink and have a good time." 

He picked up the ceramic bottle and poured the contents into the two smaller cups beside them. 

"Warm sake. Much different than your eastern alcohol. In Japan, we have tradition to toast much like American. We raise our cups and say BONZEI!"
"Oh! Ok...BONZEI!" the female tipped her cup forward and her head back as the warm liquid rushed down her throat. The entire contents were drained as she swallowed and she squinted her eyes and shook her head.

"Oh my! That was different..." But before she could say anything else, the old Master once more poured her a cup of the warm sake and and raised his cup. "Another? Alright. BONZEI!" once more the warm liquid splashed in the back of her throat as she swallowed, squinting and shaking her head. 

"Hahaha! Opal-san, you are a good drinker. Come, more! BONZEI!" another shot of the sake was poured and this had gone on several more times until both the old man and Opal were laughing and having a good time talking about the past, letting nothing awkward show between them.  

The female snorted as she laughed hearing the old stories of her teacher from back in the day. She nearly rolled off her seated cushion from laughing so hard. The old man too was laughing, something she had never heard of from him before. They had another round of sake and some more laughs until the wee midnight hours were burned and then some. They each got up wobbly and went to their separate rooms. It was a good day despite having a minor hysterical attack when her Master had collapsed in front of her, maybe that is why he wanted to have that sake with her, to remember the past and to have some fun while he was still alive. 

The woman slinked out of her kimono and was dressed in her PJs which consisted nothing more than a light belly tank top, and silky pants that were almost see through. She shifted her long raven hair over to one side of her shoulder gathering it in a small bundle and headed outside with her lit cigarette. She looked to her right where Master Myoga normally comes out of the shadows, but he didn't appear to her that night. She would be smoking alone. 

Taking in a slow drag, the woman expelled the calming stick's lilac fragrance into the open night air. The stars were shielded by a thin blanket of clouds that seemed to be moving to the east. The moon was at its crescent phase, or so she thought. She was never big into the astrology thing, but practiced a form of wicca back in her youth and studied some of the mystical arts from book but had eventually grown out of it. She sat on the steps leaning against one of the pillars and just enjoyed the warm night despite being on top of the mountain, the environment was pleasing enough to wear her PJs out at night. 

She continued to sit and stare at the night sky, she was still buzzing slightly from all that warm sake, hoping she would be alright enough to train properly, then again Master Myoga had been hitting back the drinks pretty hard as well. She smiled at the thought bringing the stick to her mouth and taking in the intoxicating form of her cigarette. She made an '0' shape with her mouth as she expelled the lilac smoke. 

Sighing to herself, she stood up on her bare feet and stretched upwards giving a mighty yawn in the process. She turned to head back inside and slid the door slowly behind her and making her way to her little bed. She pulled the covers up over her and stared at the ceiling while placing her hands behind her head. Her honey colored eyes blinked and continued to stare at the ceiling for some time. She could feel the alcohol slowly leaving her system, the fuzziness around her becoming clearer as she stood still and just stared absentmindedly at the ceiling. She turned over on her side and pushed her hands under the pillow yawning once more, she wondered how everyone else was doing and hoped no one forgot about her. 

It was at this time something compelled her to open up her inventory, she had remembered that Lawfer gave her a recording crystal of one of his songs. She highlighted the object and it levitated beside her. She pressed the button as it spun, and the crisp and clean vocals along with the acoustic guitar could be heard around the room.