[PP-F1] Meeting a new..friend? (flints) (complete)

I was walking back through the gates of the beginners town, I had just been out hunting some mobs and trying to find mats. I just ran out today and really needed some more so I can continue my crafting back at my shop. I had some pretty crap luck, but that's for another time. As I walked back through the gates I admired the city once again. No matter how many times I walked back into this city it always amazed me. Back in my home town you would never have seen this kind of amazing stuff, and im not one for enjoying things too much. Just not the kind of person I am, im emotionless, cold, and usually not the most pleasant person to be around. But this game, a game that should probably only be increasing that emotionless attitude has done the opposite, the people in the game are much more different than the kids at school, and the ones I've met, more tolerable. I saw one of the benches lining the area near the gates, it was empty, so I decided to go over and sit down. The hunting had made me rather exhausted and I didn't care to walk all the way back to the inn, plus the weather was fairly nice here on floor one like it always seemed to be, so no trouble in sitting down for a quick relaxation time, just me, and silence. Well sort of, the area was bustling but I just tried to block it out, and in minutes it was gone. Just me and silence, the good life.

Edited by Astropheric

Flints walked along the border of the town listening to the hustle and bustle hoping to escape it as quickly as possible, she wasn't good in crowds but as the sky grew dark she knew staying close to town was wise. As she passed the gates she noticed a lone Player sitting near the gates, she starred for a little while watching him curiously. "Why would someone want to sit out there..it's getting dark"  

I opened my eyes from my little, relaxation time period. I scanned the area as...being me I like to know what's happening around me. As I did so I caught a girl staring at me, I didn't stare back but simply continued my sweep of the area. I wondered why she was staring, I didn't know the girl and unlike real life, I wasn't too worried as it was a safe zone after-all, I couldn't be harmed. So, I ran my hand through my hair, got up and began walking toward the girl that was staring. When I reached her I looked at her quickly and saw she was rather short, just as short as lily (my friend). But she had shorter hair and a much, tougher looking face. I looked at her and said something "hey, is something I could help you with" I said it coldly as it was just how I was, and I was very blunt. No reason to be around the bush.

The dark of the night exaggerated her suspicions but as he walked up to her, Flints felt no fear. Her hair bristled at his tone, her green eyes scanned him over a little more before she quietly spat, "I could ask you the same thing. Who lurks outside a city anyways?" She looked up at him watching is posture carefully. She rolled her shoulders slightly listening to the sound of her large battle axe clink. This calmed her. 

" I was just curious as to why someone would want to stay by the gate with everyone slowly trickling in for the night it is quite busy and noisy." She stated. "But I guess to each their own."

I smiled inwardly as the girl replied, she had guts ill give her that, she stood her ground and showed no worry. It was rather admiring to find another person like him and lily, someone who didn't show to much on their face, but probably hid a lot. That was a first impression though, and those were always subject to change in my eyes. "as for your question, im not lurking I was simply sitting on a PUBLIC bench with my eyes closed nonetheless" I exaggerated public for emphasis that I could be there all I want "And, I was out there on that bench relaxing, I can cut out the noise fairly easily, and I was tired after my day of working" I said coldly as always. But I didn't feel like enemies so I simply continued like I was actually going somewhere before I stopped and talked to her. "Well, im going to get some food as im rather hungry, if you would like to join you are welcome to do so, and maybe we can start off on a positive, not a negative"

Edited by Astropheric

Flints listened to the man defend himself and she perked up a little at the mention of food. 

"Food?!" She whispered excitedly. She was starving. Or at least that's what her stomach told her every other hour. "Alright then, let's go!" Without wasting time she turned and walked into the city, gracefully sliding in and out of the crowds till finally stopping Infront of a large shop that smelt of steaks. She turned and smirked before disappearing into the shop and finding a nice corner to sit herself at. 

"I'm not a cook in the least, so instead of eating something that tastes like dirt, Here we are!" She shouted out behind her, not sure if the man even followed her, then she realized, she didn't even bother to get his name. "By the way, my name is Flints."

The girl replied happily and turned quickly and weaved through crowds till she found a restraint. I followed her, not as quickly but moved more swiftly through the crowds so it evened out. She went into a place smelling like steak which I followed her into and all the way back to her little corner. She introduced herself without looking back to even see if he was there, which was rather amusing but he heard. The girl told him her name was flints and he responded. "Names Astropheric, but Astro is easier so you can call me that" I reply with my cold voice. I sit down in the corner she had chose and waited for a waiter or waitress, as well as waiting for her to continue the conversation if she wanted.

Edited by Astropheric

Flints watched as he came to a rest across from her, NPCs nonchalantly passed them by as she looked straight into his eyes, "hmm, so, Astro? that's nice. rolls off the tongue easy enough." She waived over the NPC and it produced a menu filled with anything and everything the mind could imagine. but she didn't order, she sat watching Astro curiously. she didn't know what to think of him yet but so far it wasn't anything bad. it was a by chance meeting and who knows what could happen, hopefully nothing bad. Flints watched as the shop begin to grow loud with other players, she became a little anxious watching the people come in and out."you said you were working, what kind of work was it? do you have a shop or something?"

The girl asked what kind of work I was doing, and if I had I shop, and I nodded. "Yes I have a shop, I got it just recently however so its closed at the moment. And I was working gathering materials, as well as if possible col from any mobs." I reply to her question. I eyed the menu but I wasn't really in the mood for anything too big so I got a simple caramel sundae along with raspberry tea. " I sadly didn't get good luck on materials from the profession quest so I had to get to gathering quicker than I wanted" I say just to keep the conversation going.

Flints listened to Astro speak about his shop, he seemed a little uninterested in her questioning so she she stopped speaking and decided to get a drink, something strong would do her some good for once, maybe even take the edge off and she would feel more comfortable in this setting. "I'm sorry about you not being able to gather anything good. luck is a finicky thing in a world like this." she raised her glass slightly towards Astro and quickly downed it. "i couldn't have a shop or anything. I'm too irresponsible." she grinned at the thought of her having to care for an actual establishment. "eh if i did i would probably want to go for smithing. its a very very handy craft to have under you belt." 

"yes, yes it is" I reply to her "I was going to become one, started it even, but then decided I wanted to be a tailor since I already bought a weapon, and I need light armor, so it made sense for me" I pulled out my sword as I talked about it and admired the shine it still had, the black shine on it still amazed me, I quickly sheathed it back. And took a drink of my tea. "And yeah it is pretty, taxing on the rememberance, im just waiting to forget to craft one day, or forget to lock the doors or something" I smiled a little bit as I said so. It was weird how easy I transformed form my coldness to a little happy ..little... after the work I had done was brought up, but I threw the thoughts away like I did often.

Flints watched as Astro admired his weapon, she looked down at her sad beginners gear and sighed "I should probably upgrade soon, this little one won't cut it for much longer" she flicked her not so little two handed battle axe. "It's far too light for my taste. But I'm hoping with time I'll acquire a nice heavy one!" She laughed. "I would most likely forget to lock the door! Such little things could be costly to a shop!" She chuckled more at the thought of owning something so taxing. Flints looked around the shop and noticed it was bustling, but the crowd no longer made her uneasy so long as she was distracted. 

I smiled as she flicked her "little" battle axe around, it was kind of amusing. She talked about needing a new one, and I could sympathize, my life was way harder before I had gotten my shadows servant, now I just destroyed mobs. But that was besides the point, and anyway after that trip to f6...they destroyed me just as much sometimes. She then talked about the shop, and I replied "yeah, its worrying sometimes, I feel like one day ill go back and everything will be missing because it was stolen or something. And I would not be happy...at all, I would kill someone, figuratively" it was probably weird that I said that, I didn't want to give off the impression I would actually pk because I wouldn't unless it was for my own life, I was just stressing the point. "Anyway, flints... How have you been since this" this being sao "started"

"Well don't worry, I'm sure it's just a common paranoia then!" She looked around and summoned an NPC to get her a glass of water and then watched Astro carefully before speaking again. She thought about how she felt about his question. "Well..." Images of dangerous battles and threatening glares, and then finally her last battle that almost killed her. She placed her had against her chest and slightly pulled it to reveal a large almost burst like scar that was faint against her olive skin. "I haven't been here long and I've already learned it's a dog eat dog world. You meet wonderful people. But everyone is too scared. They lash out at anything and everything. I've learned some valuable lessons though. For that I'm greatful...What do you think about this place? It sure is soemthing isn't it?" 

As the girl revealed her newly found scar, I was rather impressed. It was a weird impressed. I was impressed by the fact that even though this girl didn't seem like the strongest girl in the world by her action , though ive yet to see her in battle, she looked, and clearly because of the scar was tough. She gave her opinion on the world in which we lived in now, and I agreed. It was a dog eat dog, you had to survive on your own, and make your own fate. Social Darwinism was a real, and all to believable thing in this world, but she was also right in her other point. That lessons are learned, and they will keep you going, not only in this world but if you make it, the real world. But as she asked her question, I felt a hint of guilt. For me this place was something, not only was it my home now, but it was a better home, for me at least. In this world there were no carless people who thought life was just a ride to live for the hell of it. No stupid kids worrying about all the drama that goes on in school, in here everyone had their minds set on surviving, and it created a much more tolerable atmosphere, for me at least. And so I answered.

"It sure is something, and as crazy as it may sound. I don't mind it, my life in this game is much better than my life in the real world. So as for how I feel, I love it here, I could have died in the real life just as easily as I could here, but at least here I control it a lot more. No random car hitting me, or gun shooting me when im not looking. But this world is more tolerable, and for me predictable as well." It was true about the predictable thing, it was a game, everything had a set function, figure it out and you were fine. Sure there were some surprises, but they didn't last very long. This new world, was my new home, and I didn't mind.

Flints smiled sheepishly at Astro, she wasn't sure whether to be proud of her actions or ashamed of her foolishness in the way she received her scar. "i got really lucky, i should be dead.."  she looked away briefly but listened intently to Astro speak about how he felt about the game. this was so much more to him. like many others she knew he to considered this better than real life itself. flints had to admit she liked the idea of being stabbed to death or mauled rather being struck by a car or shot by an idiot robber. "you like the set rules of the game...you cant really get cheated out of your life. you can die..but you most likely could have prevented it here, in the real world everything is a gamble and the great prize it to grow old and die in pain" her morbid sense of humor kicked in but she laughed it off, she liked the way Astro viewed this world. it was a good way to look at a place like Aincrad. 

I nodded as the girl talked back to me about how I felt. She was exactly right. "yeah, honestly, id much rather this be my real life. If you asked me why I fought, I would be able to give a solid answer, because to me escape is not that, I would be escaping my good life, not escaping some stupid game. I guess the reason I do fight, is for the ones who cant. I've never been much for helping people, but I know there are kids in this game who can do what I can or you. And that's why I fight, as well as for my friends who do want to escape. But I know, if when we beat this game. If there's a choice to stay, ill take it." I was completely honest in what I said, I would much rather live here than in the real world, and for whatever reason I still fought, even though the reason was somewhat foreign to even me.

The entire time I had spoken I was looking down at my hands which had their fingers interlocked, but now I looked up at flints. And for the first time in so long, I felt normal. I didn't know why, something about talking how I truly felt about this game made me feel better than I did normally. I wasn't just the cold-hearted guy I was in the real world. In this game I had a true meaning, and I finally felt worth something.

Flints watched as Astro spoke not words but his soul, this game was made for him, she would think of a certain red haired friend who also felt strongly for the game.when Astro looked up from his hands and eased his stance a little she smiled warmly at him. she noticed her usually hostile tone was soft now. she was happy that she understood at least a little of what he was feeling. "the fact that you feel the way you do about the game just shows that this is your calling. see to it you become a very strong warrior here. i would expect nothing less."

I nodded as the girl talked, saying the game was my calling, and that I should become very strong. It was definitely a plan I had, to fight not for but the people who could themselves. And I guess a little for myself, being in battle, knowing a wrong move could cost my life, was in a weird way the most fun I had ever had. It was like riding a roller coaster, the exhilaration of going down the hill...except this was more deadly. But her expecting me to become strong made me worried, i wasn't even one fifth of the highest leveled players level, so i had a long way to go, but I would try as hard as he could. But I was tired of the emotions being spilt out loud, and in my thoughts, so I decided to try and change the course of the conversation. "Thanks, anyway, what do you plan on doing from here on out, you know I want to fight for the people, so what about you?"

Flints watched him curiously as he changed the subject. "What do I want to do?...I've been asked a lot of things in this place. But not what I want to do. This place is home now. Who's to say I'll make it. But I want to be on the front lines for selfish reasons. I want to be powerful, for selfish reasons. But I am who I am. A slave to my thirst." She laughed at the last bit. But it was true. "I like the danger. Only if I'm the only one at risk. " she smiled and finished off her water thinking about what she would do if she did become a sizable threat in the game. "I wouldn't mind taking on baddies for people. All in due time I guess."