[SP-F5:F4] Story 5: The Art of Kenjutsu [Complete]

Arc 1: Story 5

The Art of Kenjutsu

Opal looked over to her Master Myoga who was not nearly had hot as she was, the hot wind moved all around her body as if it was grinding against her skin. The sun above them was of no help either, offering blaring and bright rays to scorch the sand below their feet.

"Of all the places, it had to be Floor Five. The [censored] desert? Why of all the places do we have to train here?"

Opal complained, it seemed she still had some attitude adjustments that were needed to her personality, Master Myoga looked up to the taller female and and nodded his head, "Hai, it is quite hot, but I have brought plenty of water for us. We train in the sand because your footwork is sloppy. When you engage your opponent, you must be aware of the terrain. It can be a an advantage or disadvantage. It is the Shinobi that takes that disadvantage and makes it their own and turns it against his enemy. You will fight a variety of sand sharks in the desert whom have higher mobility than you do. Let's look for one now and test out the sword arts you have been taught."

Opal sighed and she materialized her Izunami, the black blade with the stained glass mirror effect embedded in it seemed to have an enchanting aura about it with the reflection of sunlight hitting the angles of the blade. The old master looked to the gaudy weapon and shook his head, "They need to change the requirements for Katanas...scimitars are not katana..." 

"That's just the name of the game, Sensei." she laughed wiping a bead of sweat of her brow. 

Edited by Opal

As Opal came upon a clearing, the sand dune around her shifted as a the tail poked from the surface as if it was Monster Shark from the ocean. Her eyes scanned the vicinity as Master mYoga backed away to not engage the mob. "Opal-san, be aware of your environment. The enemy has terrain advantage."

She nodded to her master and held her sword in one hand, despite it being hot she was cool and collected as her honey colored eyes scanned the surface of the sand and watched as the Sand Shark jumped out from the sand and its massive jaw came down towards her. Surprised eyes widened in horror as she was slapped with one of its fins. She twisted around in the orange sand as she lost her footing. Gritting her teeth she got back up, the wind around her felt like eating away at her flesh as the lose sand gnawed at her flesh. As the sand shark was coming around for another attack, she turned quickly on her foot and pushed off the sand with a trace of grace and impaled the beast in the head with the butt of her sword and mashed it into the face without further avoidance. The sword art <<Bear Knock>> was used to destroy the mob as it shattered into the wind. 

<<Battle Engaged>>

ID: 32533
BD: 10 [+2 Dmg] +2 Acc
MD: 9 [+1 Dmg] -2 Eva = 7
LD: 3 +1 = 4 

Opal's HP: 37/53 
Energy: 8/12
Sword Art: << Bear Knock>> [-4 Energy]

Sand Shark HP: Dead/24
Base Dmg: 15

Rewards: +1 Mat

Edited by Opal

"Hai! Well done, Opal-san." The old Master walked up to her and patted her shoulder.

"Yeah, unfortunately the sand is a lot more difficult to maneuver than cement or the grass. It was able to get a faster attack on me because of that and lost some HP as well. But that was my first sword art ever in real combat, I think it did pretty well. I wanna give those AoEs a few tries as well." she said highlighting the different sword arts she had ranked in through her menu.

"In due time, but right now after a blow like that, your HP is suffering a bit. And if you wanna use that AoE to take multiple opponents you'll need to recover your energy and SP. For the time being, let me explain a little of the Kenjutsu, and the Way of the Sword."

<<+3 HP Regen>> 40/53
<<+1 Energy>> 9/12

Edited by Opal

"Kenjotsu can be viewed in many different terms, Opal-san, but it is important to understand the basics. Do you remember these basics?" 

"If memory serves, Kejotsu is based on the condition of the ground, the light, and the opponent's skills before determining a practical strike. I suppose I should have waited out my opponent before striking, huh?"

"Not necessarily, it is easy distinguish patterns with AI, but a little different when facing real life opponents. When you are in a duel, your opponent will use whatever advantage they can on you. It is then placed upon you to counter these advantages and strike when the time is right. Learn your opponent's move set and you will undoubtedly become a superior warrior."

The old man explained stroking his bear and handing a bottle of water to the sweaty female. She was not in her normal japense style of training gear and chose a more modern look with that sport's bra and elastic booty shorts. The old man shook his head. The woman dabbed the cool water on her skin and smiled back at her Master.

"What else, Sensei?"

<<+3 HP Regen>> 43/53
<<+1 Energy>> 10/12 [2/3 for full energy]

"The first principle is the art of feigning. As you know footwork is important for ninja and samurai alike. You need not to do anything fancy or flashy, but to create movement and knowing your terrain. Stand a moment, Opal-san. Lift your feet from the sand and stand gently on the sand."

Opal looked at her Master and dug her feet out of the sand standing a top of it as he instructed, but she felt her feet slip back down into the sand and became frustrated, "Not like this sand is any help, Master Myoga. I keep slipping and getting my feet stuck."

"Then do something about it. You must act in battle, or your opponent will fell you in his strikes. Clear the sand away from your feet and find solid ground or find a smooth surface to which to stand, a plank of wood, a sheet of rock. But always mind where you step, where you turn and when you slash and thrust. Your feet are important and will ultimately decide the outcome of the battle. This goes hand in hand with the Shinobi art of Chi-Mon." 

"Chi-mon?" she asked still trying to stay afloat the sand.

"The geography of the area you are in. A wise warrior will pick a terrain that is there advantage, an even wiser one will use it against them. Know your geography before the battle begins, and follow your feet."

<<+3 HP Regen>> 46/53
<<+1 Energy>> 12/12 [3/3 for full energy]

"If you told me we were going to be out in the desert playing in the sand, I would have worn some different shoes...Well, screw that..." the woman scrolled through her inventory and unequipped her basic footwear leaving just the small socks on her feet. She would go barefoot but the desert sand was probably hotter than she could handle. In time though, she would be able to deal with that minor pain if it meant walking along the sand without being trapped in a hole or something.

"I did not tell you specifically for the reason of the training. You need to adapt to your surroundings, Opal-san. It seems you have been listening well, taking off your shoes so that you can move more easily in the desert. Very good idea." 

Opal smiled back at her teacher taking another swig of her water. She looked over to him and breathed slowly, "Alright. Let's find a pair of sand sharks to test out my new found knowledge."

"Be very careful, Opal-san. These desert shark are very aggressive creatures. Two of them can prove fatal without the proper mitigation. Why not just take one at a time and go from there? It is better to live and fight another day, when you have become advanced enough and strong enough to deal killing blows with your blade against several enemies, that is when you can start taking on the bigger game."

"Yeah, I won't be of any use dead, would I? Alright, let's dig us up a single shark then." 

<<+3 HP Regen>> 49/53

Edited by Opal

Opal's Izunami swung around in her hand as she found a dull brown sand shark coming out of the rift of a sand dune. Her eyes locked onto the target. With just wearing her socks, she was able to step lighter on the sand without falling to the weight of her boots and getting caught in the sand. As the monstrosity flipped out of the rolling hot hands, a jettison of coarse grains erupted into the air as the shark shot forward with its head aiming to knock the woman off balance. 

Master Myoga once more took a step back from the battle and watched as both Opal and the shark stared at one another before moving n for the attack. Opal took a look at her surroundings finding many a few spots she could get vantage points from, but right now the big sand fish was blocking her path and she had to wait it out, find that perfect opportunity to strike. 

<<Battle Engaged>>

ID: 32546
BD:  2+2 Acc = 4 
MD: 7-2 Eva = 5
LD: -- 

Opal's HP: 49/53 
Energy: 10/12
Sword Art: <<>>

Sand Shark HP: 24/24

Rewards: --

Edited by Opal

The time to strike was now as Opal moved gracefully above the sand, her feeting were digging slightly into the sand but she was kept afloat without the extra weight. The blade blade shimmered in her hand as she made way towards the turn about sand shark. It flashed its beady eyes at her as it attempted to smash it's tail into the sand to disrupt her movements. She straft to the right and got into position, four clean hilt smashes to the face triggered the extra damage output of her <<Bear Knock>> as it caused the massive land fish to belly up and sink back into the desert floor regathering its strategy for its next attack.

<<Battle Engaged>>

ID: 32547
BD:  7+2 Acc =9 
MD: 4-2 Eva =2
LD: -- 

Opal's HP: 49/53 
Energy: 7/12 [+1 Energy]
Sword Art: <<Bear Knock>> [-4 Energy] [16 Dmg]

Sand Shark HP: 8/24

Rewards: --

Edited by Opal

As the sand shark surfaced, Opal lifted up her hands over her head to block out the glaring sun from her eyes. The massive shadow eclipsed the sun but its monstrous body came crashing down into her as it rocked her small frame and blasted her several feet away from beast. She hit the ground hard toppling one foot over the other as her body slid into the sand and was embedded in the coarse orange grains. She moaned as she plucked herself free of the sand cage and got up on her feet. The red and orange grains of sand covered her back and most of her body as the sweat poured off her brows and hairline. Once more she charged in for the attack, Master Myoga beckoning for her to becareful. The woman activated her <<Sprint and Acrobatic>> skill and leapt upwards with a flurry of spins until she landed on the shark. Hooking her hand into what appeared to be scale, she lowered herself to one knee and smashed the hilt of her blade against the skull of the shark until it stopped moving and exploded into a frenzy of pixels. Leaping off the explosion, she landed back in the sand and collected her rewards.

<<Battle Engaged>>

ID: 32548
BD:  9+2 Acc = 11 [+1 Dmg]
MD: 9-2 Eva = 7 [+1 Dmg]
LD: 16+1 = 17 [+120 Col]

Opal's HP: 34/53 
Energy: 8/12 [+1 Energy]
Sword Art: <<Bear Knock>> [-4 Energy] [20 Dmg]

Sand Shark HP: Dead/24

Rewards: +1 Mat, + 120 Col

Edited by Opal

"Opal-san, you are still too reckless." Master Myoga said summoning her to him with a gesture of his hand.

"Yeah, but that's my fighting style I guess. Ugh, I'm ready to get out of this desert now. Two mobs was more than enough for my body to handle and to endure in this heat. Let's go back to the Temple and finish practice there, pretty please??" she asked with pleading eyes.

"Hai, hai. You will need to endure the heat of the desert Opal-san, one day. I expect you to come back here and train little by little as you produce more skill with the sword. Speaking of which, you will be needing a katana soon. So the materials you gather will be necessary in creating a new blade. I highly advise you keep your Izunami, the scimitar is not a bad blade as it has great AoE arts. But, let us return to the fresh air of the mountains then."

Opal sighed in relief as they wandered back towards Armadillo, she was ready to get out of the heat and back into the comfy home that she was residing in while taking up the ancient ways of the Shinobi. They stopped at the portal and Opal was about to declare going back to floor seven when Master Myoga stopped her. 

"On second thought, since we ARE technically still training on your footwork, let us make way to Snowfrost. I know a few secluded areas that will help you train in snow and ice." 

"Ugggh....really? But it's so..."

<<+3 HP Regen>> 36/53
<<+1 Energy>> 9/12 [0/3 for full energy]

Edited by Opal

They arrived in Snowfrost not a moment too later. The sand was removed from her body and Opal was now dawning warmer attire with her black jacket snugging around her body and tied to prevent any cold air creeping through her body. She shivered lightly as Master Myoga walked without hesitation through the cold air.

"Are you not cold, Master Myoga?" she asked, teeth slightly chattering as they walked out of the safe zone of the city.

"Hot and cold, they will be elements that you will be able to endure one day as much as I do. They will not hinder you, but you will adapt to the temperatures soon enough. It just takes time and patience to build up the endurance to breath through your environment. Let's move towards the ice caves and see what sort of creature we can scrounge up. This is weaker floor, you might be able to use your AoE sword arts here, but you should still take it easy until you replenish your stats."

Opal nodded her head, if she was going to conquer the weather she needed to conquer her fidgeting body. She lightly untied the belt from her jacket allowing the cold air to breath onto her exposed skin. She couldn't help but chatter lightly as they walked onto the frozen lake. 

<<+3 HP Regen>> 39/53
<<+1 Energy>> 10/12 [1/3 for full energy]

Edited by Opal

"A Katana..." said the old Master as he unsheathed an ornate looking katana from an equally beautiful scabbard, "Is a weapon, a tool, a masterpiece, a way of life...Samurai take many years learning the different strikes to fell their opponents, but it is much more than just a weapon. There is honor in the use of a katana, Bushido states; righteousness, courage, benevolence, respect, sincerity, honor, loyalty and self control."

He emphasised the last criteria of Bushido to the woman who looked at him with a smirk, "So I am to understand these ideals of Bushido as well as the more self serving Shinobi?" she asked.

"There are many black and white differences to being Shinobi and Samurai. You, Opal-san, are to decide which skills to use and when in the scenarios. The katana is a perfect blade, swung in harmony with the kiai of the soul. The chi, the energy of the world. Feel it all around you, devour that energy into your spirit and let it strike down your opponents quickly."

The man had moved his foot and he sliced the air, the snow that fell from the sky seemed to be cut from his strong blade as he moved on the ice without slipping. She had her boots on now, but once more unequipped them and wore only her socks. The trainee moved out into the ice and began to slip and slide along the surface.

<<+3 HP Regen>> 42/53
<<+1 Energy>> 11/12 [2/3 for full energy] 

"Mmm...I'm gonna fall on my ass...I just-" the woman fell down and slid a few inches in a circular moment, "I feel like [censored] Bambi right now...not in that sense, just as how he couldn't walk around on the ice, ya know?" 

The Master of the Katana looked up to Opal and shook his head, "Get up slowly and just feel out the ice. Walk on it slowly, understand the surface to which you are gliding on and use it to your advantage just as you had done in the sand, it might be better to put your boots back on, Opal-san. You will have better grip. But don't step so heavily that you break the ice and fall in..."

The woman gave a half smile and her boots were once more placed on her feet, shielding them from the bitter cold that nipped at her toes. That was better and she slowly stood up to her feet, one leg going left and the other slipping in the opposite direction. She slid across the surface, her arms flailing as she fell down once more. 

<<+3 HP Regen>> 45/53
<<+1 Energy>> 12/12 [3/3 full energy] 

Edited by Opal

"Opal-san, find the center of gravity. Keep your feet together and make small sliding movements, like this..." the Master moved on the ice as if he was walking on normal ground, but he made straight and edgy movements that were small and barely noticeable. She mimicked him and started to walk a little slower, her arms held out for balance as she moved along the ice and slowly continued along the surface.

"Hey! Yeah...I think I am getting this whole center of gravity thing...yeah...piece of--" she slipped after getting a little too confident and fell on her butt again as she slid to a short stop, "Well...getting closer..." 

The old master laughed as she got back up and tried again. He nodded his head as he walked around her as she moved, helping her with wisdom though most of the time she didn't understand his japanese mindset. She walked along the surface and moved a bit more gracefully as time went on. Eventually she was able to glide along the surface mixing her sprint and acrobatic skills along with it to dance along the glistening surface.  

<<+3 HP Regen>> 48/53

Edited by Opal

"Opal-san!" The old teacher bellowed out to her in his loudest voice. The woman flailed her arms and turned around just in time for her to feel the cold,w et snow on her face. He just threw a snowball at her and she was jostled by the momentum. Taking ina  deep breath from the cold contact on her flesh, she moved her hands upwards and flicked the snow off her face only to dodge a second volley. 

"Hey! Master Myoga! What are you doing?!" She yelled back losing focus on her gravity and slipping all over the place again. 

"Training! Dodge the snowballs as you glide over the ice! Think on your feet, Opal-san! Here comes some more!" 

The sky started to rain with lobs and direct throws of snowballs cruising their way towards the raven haired woman. She cursed under her breath as she shot to the left and right gliding along the shiny surface. She ducked and twisted engaging her <<Acrobatics>> and a series of spins and twists along the ice as she skated towards him.

"Slow down Opal-sahhhhh-" 

<<+3 HP Regen>> 51/53

She charged head long into her master tackling him into the snow banks as they drifted along onto the surface of the ice once more. She looked down at with a big grin on her face, "Got you~" she said in an amorous voice. 

"Hai, hai...off, off..." She slid on her knees as she moved her body off the older man as she helped him onto his feet. Each in turn brushed the powder of snow off their clothing and had a good laugh, "Alright, Opal-san. It is getting late, once more I want you to find a mob and defeat it on the ice using what I have told you. Good luck, and don't bite off more than you can chew!"

Opal unsheathed the Izunami from her side scabbard and walked out onto the ice getting a Snow Wolf alone from its pack. The two locked eyes as it's silver fur stood on end and barked at her with beady eyes and a snarling maw. She would have felt intimidated by those dark eyes but she was no push over anymore. She weaved the blade in the air getting a feel for the ice once more below her feet. The animal charged for her, its feet slipping over the ice but its nails digging in to give it some grip. The wolf snarled and snapped at her, her blade up and over and deflected the blow as it moved by her and slid to a stop and howled. She turned around with a small spin and stabilized her gravity once more and moved forward inching closer to the wolf. 

<<Battle Engaged>>

ID: 32567
BD:  1+2 Acc = 3
MD: 5-2 Eva = 3  [Savvy +2 BD engaged] 
LD: 

Opal's HP: 51/53 
Energy: 10/12 [ -2 Energy- Miss]
Sword Art: <<>> [- Energy] [ Dmg]

Snow Wolf HP: 24/24
Base Dmg: 12

Rewards: 

Edited by Opal

Opal re-engaged the Snow Wolf as it came charging after her. It felt like she had the ice terrain under her control as she whipped around the beast catching it with her arm as it lunged at her. The creature snarled and growled at her as it's mouth chomped trying to get a taste of her flesh. With her hand outstretched holding the wolf at bay, lifting the Izunami up in the air she delivered 4 quick lethal blows to the creature's skull before it erupted in pain and howls and tossed the creature across the ice as it slid on its back. The wolf staggered to get up and moved it head upwards and bellowed out a loud cry. Opal looked around, "It might be trying to summon its pack! Quickly kill it before they get here!" said the Old Master. 

She grit her teeth and once more entered the fray. 

<<Battle Engaged>>

ID: 32568
BD: 5 +2 Acc +2 Savvy = 9
MD: 6-2 Eva =  4 [Savvy +2 BD engaged] 
LD: 

Opal's HP: 51/53 
Energy: 7/12 [ +1 Energy]
Sword Art: <<Bear Knock>> [-4 Energy] [ 16 Dmg]

Snow Wolf HP: 8/24

Rewards: 

Edited by Opal

She didn't want that wolf calling its pack to aid it in this battle She was still green compared to her master teacher who was keeping a keen eye on her stance and fighting style. Her called her too reckless and perhaps she needed to learn some self control as her teacher had instructed when listing off the ideal of Bushido. She took in a deep breath, the ice cold air cleansing her lungs as she felt a little warm from moving around on the ice and dodging all those thrown snowballs. The sword was held steadily in her hand as the wolf came charging after her..."Self control..." she muttered, when the wolf came in for the charge she felt the hot claw marks go down over her clothing and bite into her flesh. She bellowed out as her long jacket fluttered and she snapped her wrist engaging the <<Bear Knock>> sword art once more, the creature was expelled from the battlefield and erupted into digital dust. She got up and sheathed her blade. 

<<Battle Engaged>>

ID: 32571
BD: 8+2 Acc +2 Savvy = 12
MD:8-2 Eva =  6  
LD: 13+1 = 14 [*Wolf Jerky]

Opal's HP: 39/53 
Energy: 4/12 [ +1 Energy]
Sword Art: <<Bear Knock>> [-4 Energy] [16 Dmg]

Snow Wolf HP: Dead/24

Rewards: +1 Mat, +1 Wolf Jerky

Edited by Opal

Master Myoga walked with Opal beside her as they headed back to Snowfrost and the teleporter. She didn't seem to mind the cold so much right now as she was becoming accustomed to it, she looked around her. "You know, Lawfer has a studio around these parts..." 

"A friend of yours?" the old master asked.

"Something like that, former guild mate," she replied looking over to her Master. The old man nodded his head, "you did well today, Opal-san. You were taught many things and you are understanding the concept of Bushido and Shinobi. It is a matter of time before you gain the titles of Kunoichi and Samurai. If you wish, you may seek out your friend before coming back to the mountains. I shall await for your to--"

"No, Master Myoga. I have no desire to seek out anyone right now. We must continue my training. Let's get back before it get's too late."

"Hai..." the old man smiled and they were whisked away in a blinding light. 

They had arrived once more at the Temple and had sat down to have tea and dinner. They talked about the day that had gone by and the things she had learned from her encounters with the sand and snow. Opal smiled as Master Myoga talked about his tales from the modern world and his apprentices before things declined for him. It was a bittersweet story to say in the least, but she perked up quite a bit when he told her..."I am proud to have found an apprentice like you, Opal-san. One who does not seek it, but will do much for the gain."

"Well, I definitely wanted your training and it has been a great experience so far. I can't thank you enough for it. I have learned so much in such a short little time. And we still have tons to look forward to as well?"

"Hai. Tomorrow, Opal-san...you will be facing yourself and your demons and your fears. It would be wise to turn in early tonight and meditate and get as much rest as you can." The old man lifted himself up and placed a hand on his back, "You need help, Sensei?"

"No, but thank you. Just a good night's rest. I'll see you in the morning..."

Opal picked up her things and headed to her room making sure her Master was capable of moving on his own before she left to her own devices. She changed out of her kimono and into her PJs and did her nightly routine of taking a few drags outside and looking up at the stars. It was another beautiful night and she wondered if Jomei was looking up there like she was. A faint smile crossed her lips when she thought about him. She inhaled deeply and exhaled a voluminous cloud of lilac smoke from her mouth. She rubbed her shoulders and went back inside to sleep.

Edited by Opal