[SP:F7] Arc 1: Story 9: Bushido [Katana Unlocking Thread][Complete]

Opal had stepped outside in her full Shinobi gear and looked to her Master Myoga who stroked his chin, the woman was becoming more malleable in her training, she was becoming quicker, thinking more clearly, stronger and more aggressive and all the same time...her heart was turning to ice. He could see the pain in her eyes, the nights of constant nightmares wearing the girl thin and filling her with a sort of revenge and callousness. His eyes dropped to the side and he sighed, "Opal-san, today you will not be Shinobi. Today we begin your training with Bushido and the Way of the Samurai. Change into your haka--" 

With a few quick swipes of her wrist the woman was enveloped in white and her attire had changed, her expression was that of sheer determination to start, but her honey eyes said, "Finally." Master Myoga nodded and gestured that they go into the temple and he begun to explain the specifics of Bushido once more. It was the same thing she heard before, but she wasn't going to complain. She needed a sense of normality in her life, whatever it took. 

Edited by Opal

After explaining the virtues once more Opal nodded her head, the lengthy ebony strands had been pushed off her shoulder and brought her Bokkan to eye level, "You and the sword will be one, one spirit, one warrior as an extension of your body. The values in Bushido are those of chivalry, do you understand Opal-san?"

She looked at him, her eye twitched, "Yes, Master Myoga. If you are telling me revenge is not the answer again though..." 

"I will no longer push on the subject, I merely wish you to understand and learn. To know Bushido is to know the Way of the Samurai. After all my training you will decide what you take from both the world of the Shinobi and the one of the Samurai. I leave you with that decision. But first we must work on your technique. The first of many ways is my particular favorite Iaido, the drawing techniques."

The woman uttered the word under her breath and sheathed the blade at her side, Master Myoga had told her bits of Iaido but she was becoming a quick learner and she observed many things from his own personal training regiment which she got to see on several occasions.     

"Iaido is a drawing technique. First the draw, then a quick slash after examining your opponent's moves and then the cleaning of the blade by whipping it back and then once more sheathing it. Of course, there are several ways to draw the blade from the sheath..."

"The saya," Opal said.

"Hai! Opal-san, the saya which can also be used as weapon. It can be an offensive object or defensive. But we'll get to that later...First the drawing technique, watch and imitate." 

The old master turned to face the wall, his one hand on the saya and the other on his hilt of his katana. His eyes looked straight, he was in complete focus and then moved quickly and fluidly, the blade was drawn quickly, slashed and whipped clean and then placed back into the saya. Opal watched with a puzzled look, "Just a single strike?" she asked.

"Iaido is a explorative art in a sense. More like dance we call kata. Iaido is a reflection of the morals of the classical warrior and to build a spiritually harmonious person possessed of high intellect, sensitivity, and resolute will. There are many kata dances that can be used in combat, you will learn them all and you will master them all as well...Now once more, I shall go slower and you follow."

The next several hours were dedicated to slow movements involving Iaido drawing techniques. The woman progressed well in her training against inanimate objects, but she knew the discipline of the art as it was explained to be a spiritual sort of harmony as her master has told her. Time ticked by, one hour then another then another...The dark brows had become damp from the harsh vigors of training in this form of combat. Every movement she made had to be precise and without fail, and Master Myoga watched her carefully to make sure her arms, speed, accuracy all these things were put into play as she moved from unsheathing the blade from the saya, to the sheathing of it once more. Quickly the night sky was coming up over the horizon, the sky turning purple and orange as the sun spilled open and gave off a soft glow just as it receded into the earth. Mastery Myoga shook his head, "You are doing quite well, Opal-san. You seem to be a natural when it comes to using the Bokkan, but I am sure once you have a real katana in your hands you will find that swinging it will be a lot more difficult. Perhaps I should give you a heavier bokkan so you can get used to the feeling of a real japanese sword. Come, let's have supper."  

Opal had finished her supper early that night, Master Myoga had begun talking about her training which was odd for him to do. Normally words of training were not given during the meals, but he knew her new serious training regimen was slowly changing her. He talked about balance and harmony once more, the woman dind't say anything but she slowly nodded her head. 

"Hai...Opal-san..."

"I know! And you keep telling me! Listen, Master Myoga...what happened to me...was traumatic, I don't know how to cope with soemthing like that. I was broken from the inside out with the events happened over and over and over--"

"Opal-san..."

"Then you get my point. I want to be able to protect myself so something like that will never happen to me again. And it won't! I can tell you right now. Once I get strong enough, I'm going to remove that guild from this planet with my own two hands and the Katana that I wield. And I KNOW revenge is not the answer, I KNOW its not gonna change what happened. But that's closure for me. You can train me or not, but I will continue doing what you tell me. It's just gonna take time to let go of all that hate and rage that is tearing me up inside."

The old master nodded his head, stroked his long beard and sipped his tea, "I was never in a situation like that. And females are...well, foreign to me. I never taught women--"

"Then don't look to me as a woman, Master Myoga. Look to me as your student. That is what I am." 

Once more he stroked his chin and nodded, "I want you to mediate before you go to bed tonight. Reflect Opal-san, find that balance between anger and hate, spirt and harmony." 

The woman had sat in her room, the darkness devouring her slowly from the lowering of the sun. Her eyes twitched as she attempted to meditate. She had not been sleeping well the past few nights after her traumatic ordeal and meditating was stemming up those fresh wounds. The more she tried to clear her mind of those images, the more vivid they had become. She tried and tried to block them out with slow and deep breaths. Eventually she just snapped and popped her eyes open and groaned falling into her pillow. She placed a hand on her head and rubbed it, moving the long tendrils of black hair form her face and eyes. She said she wouldn't cry any more over what happened. That time was over, she had to toughen up and accept what happened to her. And if she was to truly become one with her blade...she would need to find that balance within her again.

"Spirit...and harmony. How do you gain...what was once lost?" she asked herself, assuming the meditative stance and lowering her head and closing her dull orange eyes. 

She felt her mind come to a point of serenity, instead of attempting to force the vision from her mind she would gradually accept them. Her anger was boiling, and tears would want to run out the corner of her eyes, but she would not allow her emotions to control her anymore. She sat still, meditating and reflecting over the last several days, the training she had conquered the great power she was achieving through pure determination and hard work. She was pleased with herself, but she wanted to get stronger for herself. The vivid images of her being pinned down, taken advantage of, her dirty body becoming tainted by the males of that guild in that dank and oppressive cell, her hands turned to fists as she welcomed the images in her head. The loud cries she had given during those nights of [censored] and savage beatings. She choked for a moment, she had to stop there and released her anger gently through deep breathing exercises. She opened up those dull and lifeless like orange eyes, the soft honey color had faded from them after that week of being tortured. She was no longer the woman she had been, she realized that. Her body lifted and bound for the door as she materialized the lavender calming stick in between her fingers, did she really need this? 

The woman sat down on the steps as she took in an excessively long drag and expelling the plume of lilac into the air. She slumped her head downwards not even bothering to look into the beauty of the night sky. She sighed and rubbed the back of her neck with her free hand, her Pajamas now consisting of a thick material long sleeved shirt and a long thick lounge pants, she wasn't much for showing off her body anymore...and it would take time before she could see herself in that way again without shaming herself. She felt disgusted with herself after the events, weak and unable to help herself. After taking a few more hits from the cigarette, she flicked it sending it into data oblivion as she stood up and wandered back inside her room. She picked up the Bokkan, the wooden katana she had used for practicing and once more started to retrain what she had learned from her master.  

The night continued on and after an extra hour or two of practice, the woman had sheathed her bokken and felt like she did well on her own. Sitting down on the ground over her large mattress, she lowered her body as her head hit the pillow and she sighed, her legs and arms soon sprawling out of her body as she looked up at the ceiling. There was pain still, pain in her mind and the images. She wanted to sleep but was afraid of the nightmares that continued to plague her. Sighing once more she turned over on her belly and folded her arms under the plain pillow of her bed. She breathed in and out slowly and her dark eyes fluttered before closing gently. The grasp of sleep slowly started to work its way through her body as she finally came to an end of the day. Eyes moved behind her closed lids, those nightmares coming back and eating away at her once more. 

Light peaked through the thin walls of her bedroom as Opal turned around and placed the covers over her head. It was a small bit of light and she barely was able to tolerate that after spending a week or more in total darkness. She groaned, she knew she didn't get enough sleep and those nightmares continued to wail on her mind as if some creeping plague drawing out her ability to be happy. She sighed and tossed the blankets off of her, it was another day and new day to train. 

Breakfast was usually, Master Myoga sipping at his tea as he had normally done and Opal in her formal wear ready to start the day. But she was hungry and the food looked delicious although it was the same meal as early last morning. She wouldn't complain for a free meal in front of her. Picking up her chopsticks, bowing, saying her prayer and enjoying the food. 

Early morning sun had drifted over them and Opal and Master Myoga headed towards the dojo where they would continue the training of Bushido and the way of the sword.   

When she woke up, it felt like she didn't even sleep. She struggled with her nightmares and they continued to fester in her like a deep tainted wound. She pushed the blankets off her body and dressed in her wears for the day, having a light breakfast followed by some hot tea which was able to help calm her down from the edgy night.Her look was that of a tired one and Master Myoga saw that first hand as soon as she sat down to eat. 

"Another sleepless night, Opal-san?" 

She sighed, "I slept, but can't say I enjoyed it. I tried meditating and that worked for a little while, but the nightmares they just come and keep coming. I can't stop them from happening." 

The old man nodded, her ordeal was horrific, it would take time and patience to see it through, but he knew she had a strong will and eventually with enough time those wounds would heal soon. In the meantime, "It would be better for you to keep your mind focused on other things. Meet me at the dojo when you are finished drinking your tea." 

The woman nodded as she pushed the long ebony strands out of her face and pulled the rest of her hair into a neat pony tail. 

As she got up, the woman noticed an odd book that was hidden under the pillow where Master Myoga had been sitting. She had noticed him reading it whenever she was not around, as in drinking tea before she came in for breakfast while they had days off from training. Her curious nature got the better of her and she quickly scanned the book, its pages started to download into journal for her to read later in the notes section. Picking herself up, she placed the book back under the pillow and jogged towards the dojo. 

Master Myoga looked to her as she bowed before entering and went to the center of the room. Her dull orange eyes looked to her master as he began today's lesson. The female Samurai in training did a series of slashes with her bokken, and then was instructed to do more to strengthen up her arms and to make precise and fluid movements. 

"Very good Opal-san!" Master Myoga complimented, despite her lack of sleep, her hands movements and form were perfect down to every little intricate movement made. Master Myoga once more instructed the woman on the next step phase of her training for the day. He delved a little into the history of Bushido, explaining more examples and who some legendary warriors were. It was a nice break to let the woman cool off a bit, she had been hacking and slashing at the air for over two hours without rest. But when she summoned up the strength to continue she asked for more and Master Myoga gave her another kata to watch and for her to mimic. 

"I'm getting the hang of it..." she breathed heavily, sweat dripping down the side of her face. While she was training she was focused on the primary goal of doing what she was told to do and thus, those vivid nightmares that had scared the woman seemed to flutter without so much as a thought, but there was always a cold hand to remind her of those images when her thoughts went astray and that's when she took her training up a notch, swung faster, harder and more precise. She used her fears to become as lethal as....her wooden sword. 

She wiped the sweat from her brow with the back of her hand as she consumed a large quantity of water from its bottle. She chugged the remaining bit and discarded it as it exploded into pixels. The woman sat down with her bokken resting over her shoulder, "You did well Opal-san. Let us take a break for right now and let me tell you of a tale of a man and a tiger. You see this man came from a foreign land and did not know the ways of the Samurai culture. He thought they were savages with swords compared to his military and --"

"Ugh..are you really going to talk about that movie, Master Myoga?" she asked with a small smirk.

"Thought it would cheer you up." he said with a replied smile, "Would you like to stop for the day or continue?" The woman looked up, she could feel the sweat rolling off the curves of her body from within her shirt and it felt highly uncomfortable. But that didn't mean her body was tired, "No, there is still a lot of light outside yet. Why don't we have a little spar?" 

Master Myoga stroked his beard with his right hand as he thought about her suggestion and slowly nodded. They each got up and took the center of the dojo. 

"I shall duel you, Opal-san, but this will be a unique duel. I'll yell out which moves to use when I attack, you parry and strike so you may understand which techniques to use against others when they come after you."

The woman smiled and nodded to her Master, the woman got into place and positioned herself with the sheathed bokken. 

And thus their unique spar had begun, it felt more like a training session more than anything as the Raven hair woman moved fluidly side to side with her weapon raised and attacked as she was instructed. Mastery Myoga yelled out different words, 'parry!, attack!, deflect!, side-step!' She started to see patterns in the attack methods and the defensive methods used as she struck her teacher's bokken with a forceful slash. The man almost bowed backwards and slipped, taking opportunity, the woman raged forward and thrust her weapon into the old man's chest, then lifted it upwards until it smacked him in the chin. When his right foot was thrown off balance with the rest of his body, Opal raised the weapon over her head, rage in her eyes and slashed downwards with all her force. The Old Teacher, twisted on his one foot, moved the blade over his back to deflect the blow from Opal's bokken and then countered. 

Opal had fallen on her back and the tip of the wooden sword was pressed to her neck, "Yield." She sighed and dropped her weapon to the ground, the old man smiled and then laughed, "You fought with great bravery Opal-san, but you allowed your emotion of anger and rage to consume you. When you strike...Strike without feeling and the power will come naturally and not forced out. That is enough for today, let us enjoy a warm meal and some nice sake." 

Sake sounded very nice right about now as well as did some food. The female removed the sweat from her brow and moved towards the bathroom. Running the hot water she started to slowly undress herself. She shuttered from the steam hitting her exposed skin, it was still difficult to undress even in private after the recent events that occurred. It was unbearable to go through what she did and the after effects were long and ever lasting. It would take time before she was comfortable in her own flesh once more. Her foot dipped into the warm soothing waters as the rest of her body followed, the fragrant water soothing her muscles and calming her mind as she sank into the pool of water. Her eyes started to flutter briefly in the low lit room, she was beginning to enjoy the darkness over the light, not to sound emo in her mind...but the light almost made her shudder in fear, then sun raising in the room when she slept, or the instances of a creaking door opening all sent fear and panic into the woman's head.  She scooped water into the palms of her hands and splashed her face. She would sit there for a moment holding her legs to her chest while she just relaxed and let the warm water calm her mind and to get ready for a relaxed evening. 

Opal lifted her legs out of the bath water creating a small splash before the water was drained. She held out a hand to grab a cloth towel and quickly wrapped it around her feminine figure until most of her exposed skin was wrapped in it. She shuddered for a moment and stared at the mirror and her reflection. A sad woman peered back at her, lost of life in her once vibrant colored eyes. Eyes that were once so full of hope and joy, now turned bitter and in despair. She sighed at herself and ran a finger over the tattoo portion of her neck, she had done this to show off the beauty of her skin, now it was more or less clothed most of the time due to her recent frailty. She had dressed herself and walked outside to the dining area where Master Myoga had waited on her. A delicious meal placed out on the table in what appeared to be another japanese cuisine. Opal sat with her kimono and folded her legs onto the soft pillow and picked up her chopsticks and bowed her head giving the formal prayer before eating. 

Master Myoga's trained eye watched her ever so until they had begun eating. 

The meal was as enjoyable as one would get out of it with Opal's currently mentality. She placed her chopsticks down and sighed, "I'll never be the woman I once was, Master Myoga. I am still fighting nightmares when I sleep, I get scared of the light and the creaking of doors. When I feel exposed, I shudder and panic even when I am in the bath. My body had become so polluted...that I don't know how much more I can last without simply breaking apart." 

Master Myoga stroked his chin, "Opal-san, you must endure this with all you have. If you should break apart now, then my teachings will have been in vain. Remember the wisdom I have bestowed upon you and the words of your training. They will help guide you through this challenge in life. And I am here as well to help guide you as your teacher." he said looking up at her, emerald eyes that looked so vibrant as they day she had meant him, "And as your friend." 

The woman looked up at him with those dull almost lifeless like eyes and she gave a soft smile, though not her best one. She nodded and lifted herself up, "Tomorrow we will begin our training again. I would like to use it as a form of distraction, but I know that is only running away from the problem. I shall meditate once more and welcome the nightmares. I will cut through them with my blade." 

Master Myoga didn't say a word and nodded slowly to the young woman as she bowed to him and she left for her bedroom. He sat there and stroked his beard while in deep thought. He looked out towards the night time sky through a small window and saw the moon was full and in bloom, "She will get through this. But she will never be the woman she once was...She will be better, stronger..." 

Opal had turned into her bedroom going through the soft glow of her menu and picked out her personal PJs and was consumed in there warmth. She pressed onwards towards her door to go outside and sat on a step, her nightly routine was more coming into effect now that she had a somewhat settled mind on things. A few more clicks of her inventory and a materialized scented stick wafted lavender into the air as she took a long and deep drag. 

She sighed slowly expelling the smoke from her mouth and nose and then blew the rest of the contents out in a lilac stream. Her head drifted back to a pillar as she looked up to the moon. The woman inside of her was dead to this world, she knew that. So if that was the case, then she needed to become a new woman. She needed to make a new path and start fresh. 

She dangled her cigarette from her mouth as she was now sitting on her knees and looking up at the moon, "Opal is dead..." she said to herself, taking a long drag once more and and exhaling. She took out a small common dagger from her inventory and wrapped half the length of her hair in her hand, "This is gonna suck..." she said taking in another drag and then she held her breath for moment and then quickly with one slash her ebony hair parted from clenched fist and she pulled it away. The ebony hair fluttering in her hand as the wind picked up and then she slowly slackened her grip as those long precious tendrils escaped from her hand. They twisted with the wind before disappearing into nothing, leaving her with half the hair she had. Feeling the weight of her hair finally off her shoulders, the woman gave a quick tousle and then smoothed out the bangs over one eye. She was born again from this instant on, "Opal is reborn." Taking a long ridiculous drag from her cigarette, the woman expelled the plume of smoke once more from her mouth and then flicked it away from her as it was discarded quickly. She got up and looked at the moon once more, the soft glow of her honey eyes trying to find their place amongst the stars, but she knew she was no star...she was something else. Dirty, filthy, tainted, unclean...whatever it was...It wasn't something beautiful. But she would find beauty in new image, and she would make all her enemies feel the dread she encompassed starting with Volcano and his crew.