[PP-F4] [[COMPLETED]] Ice to See You Again (Vayrin)

Vayrin leaned back in her chair. She seemed annoyed. She tried to tell me that's not what she had been thinking, but she was a terrible liar. I had met people who wanted to stay in here and I was nothing like them. It's not like I had to explain that to myself though; I wanted out just as much as anyone. But after what Vayrin said next I knew I just couldn't keep quite. I didn't want to see her get ruined by this place. I was afraid that people that kept that attitude would face great changes in the future, and not for the better. I tried to diffuse the situation as I spoke, Leroy my voice calm. "I only say this because I don't want to see you go down the wrong path. We can't fight that kind of war. We're just kids, it's too much for us. If we allow ourselves to become too consumed we won't be able to stop ourselves. That's what I'm really afraid of. That we might take it too far. That's why I think it's important to take breaks. So we can remember to live. I know I can't change your mind, and we don't know each other at all, but could you maybe think on it? I'd hate it if you got hurt." All of that was me being honest. I almost never lied and I wouldn't lie about something like that. That's how I always was. Whether I'm right or wrong, if I see people doing something they might regret I'll do everything I can to stop them. Now I might be over exaggerating a little bit in this case. I didn't really know what Vayrin wanted to do. I also didn't know if I had ruined our friendship before it started. I didn't want that. "Hope I didn't ruin anything by saying all that. I'm usually more light hearted I swear!"

By this point, Vayrin had gotten annoyed with Koumori. He obviously didn't see where she was coming from in the sentence she gave him. And worst of all he was worried about her. That was bad. 

"Don't. Just don't give me your sympathy."  She said, her eyes fixed into his. "The last thing I need in this death game is for people to worry about me. I thank you for what you did for me, but even though your a higher level, we still have both been in this death game for the same amount of time..."

She continued to stare at him with the same expression.  "You can't honestly think any of this is good for us. We can't afford to be slowed down to enjoy an artificial life, when we are losing our real one with each passing day."  She paused, letting Koumori soak in what she just said. "We may be young, but this game is possible to beat. And I'm going to help if I can."

This was getting bad. Vayrin was pissed. She was practically stabbing me with every syllable. I had only been trying to help. I stayed calm. I didn't accuse, I just suggested another way. She, on the other hand, was chastising me. She didn't want to see any other way and was deadset on her opinion. To be fair I was too but at least I wasn't going off the wall. My intention with the original question was just to see what she thought. I didn't think it would turn into this. But I couldn't leave it like that. Things would be worse off than they started. I'd have to try one more time. I could be nice and diplomatic one more time. After that I couldn't promise anything. "Let's calm down for a second. Im not giving you sympathy. If anything I'm just trying to give honest advice at this point. Please, just calm down. Listen." I readjusted and clasped my hands on the table. "All you seem to worry about is getting back to the real world. I understand that, that's what I want too. But the way you're putting it now makes it seem more like revenge. I've seen enough movies to know that revenge never works out. When people become to absorbed in something they lose themselves. If you get lost in here you can't get back out." I paused for a second to take a deep breath then continued. "Aincrad can't replace what it's like. I know. Kayaba kidnapped us. I know. But that doesn't mean that we don't need laughter, or friends, or dinners at cafes, or stupid little birthday parties, or even snowball fights that end in roofs of snow falling on your head. We need that too. And it's with the strength that the little things give us that we can break out of this place and go back...and go back and truly live again." I stood up and leaned over the table and spoke in a lower voice. "I don't want my friends to miss any of that. I don't want them to die inside." I stood back up and walked to the fire. I rested my head on the mantle as I waited for her response. I had never said anything like that before. I never even tried. I didn't know that I could get so emotionally attached to a belief. Maybe that's what she felt. But I've always believed that reason won out and I felt I had reason on my side. Not that it was a battle. But there could be casualties. Our friendship was on the line. Did I make the right move?

Vayrin relaxed her tense body a bit. Koumori was right, she needed to calm down a bit. It just annoyed her when people were treated this way. She hated it when people didn't take Sword Art Online as serious as she thought they should. She could relax a bit though, Koumori was not trying to provoke her so she just tried to follow along. Vayrin relaxed her hands, which she had unnoticeably clenched into fists.

Perhaps Koumori was right. Only a little. After all, Vayrin only started fighting not that long ago, and he had obviously been busier then her. On the other hand, she had no idea what his life was like in the outside world, so maybe he didn't have as much as a motive to get out as she did. Although, anyone who wants to see their family again should be motive enough.

"I'm sorry." Vayrin looked down at the table as Koumori leaned against the mantelpiece.  "I may have spoken out of turn. I understand where you're coming from..." Perhaps the little things actually did matter. 

Edited by Vayrin

I could see that Vayrin had relaxed. Her body was much less tense and her fists unclenched. The fiery look in her eyes had dissipated and was replaced with a thoughtful one. She was actually thinking on what I said. Whew. I was able to calm her down. If I had only made her more angry I didn't know how bad that could've gotten. When I stood at the mantle she broke the silence and spoke up, apologizing. She also conceded that she could understand what I said. That was great, I had gotten through to her at least a little bit. I turned around and walked back to the table and took my seat. This time I leaned back. "It's alright. I understand where you're coming from too. I'm just glad that you could listen. Well I think that got a little out of hand. Maybe we should order some drinks and get going back home."

Vayrin sat there for a moment, still staring at the table as Koumori took his seat. Apparently he understood where she was coming from as well. Although, she didn't know if she could believe him or not. Either way, she just decided to let it go for now. She was not trying to hurt anyone, and she guessed it was good that people like Koumori were still trying to make the best out of their situation.

"No. It's fine." Vayrin said again, still looking at the table. Avoiding eye contact with Koumori as he suggested drinks. Her voice was much quieter now than it was before. 

I looked to Vayrin and saw her staring at the table. She'd been doing that since I sat down and showed no sign of stopping. I wondered what was going on in her head. She declined my offer to get drinks without looking up for a second. Something was definitely wrong. I leaned forward so I could see her face better. "Hey...are you alright?" Perhaps what I said really did bother her. When she spoke she sounded much more calm but not exactly content. She must've had some serious thoughts about this game. Thoughts that weighed down on her. 

"Yeah, I'm fine." She said again, not looking up. Whatever she was thinking about, she wanted to stop. Koumori was right, and she needed to believe that. She had been thinking about what Koumori said. She wanted to believe it and dismiss what he said at the same time, but she couldn't figure out how to go about it. 

"What do you think our purpose is here?" Vayrin finally said, looking up from the table.

"You sure?" Well she didn't look fine. She was still locked in her staring contest with the table. I had my money on the table. I was right of course, Vayrin finally looked up and asked me a question that was similar to mine. I felt confident in my answer, but I was caught off guard a little. "Huh? Well I think that we're, uhh, we're all meant to find something. I can't say whether or not that was Kayaba's intention but I think that's what we need to do. But I don't know what it is. It could be a friend, it could be a purpose, it could be love. Hell, it's probably different for everyone. But like I said before the important thing is that it makes us better people. If we come out better than we came in then we can return with pride. You know? Because we didn't lose our spirit. I realize I'm almost repeating what I said before but it kinda goes hand in hand. It might be a little optimistic but it helps keep me going. Knowing that this isn't pointless." I sat and looked at her for a second. "What about you?"

After hearing Koumori's response, she quickly concluded that he had no idea what their purpose was in the game. Based on what he said, he thought they were meant to find something, but the identity of what they were supposed to find eluded him. She thought about it for a moment, but she couldn't place an answer on it either. Then Koumori asked her what she thought. Vayrin had no idea. Like she told him before, Kayaba was just a mad man. Power hungry, and he found the perfect way to attain that power.

"The answer could be a lot more simple than that." She told Koumori. "Kayaba could just be power hungry, and he found a way to make himself a god. I doubt there is any specific reason other than that."  That's what she wanted to thing anyways. She hoped it was not some wild conspiracy theory, and they were test subjects for some type of sinister experiment. 

I could tell I returned back to getting nowhere territory. That difficult look of hers appeared back on her face as I was talking. The idea that she had developed was clashing the one that was being presented to her. When she offered her option she mentioned Kayaba again. It seemed like he was all she could think about, at least when thinking about SAO. To her, everything went back to him. I didn't think like that. I didn't think he was some sadistic monster that was trying murder us. I believed he was inside, but I also believed that to him there was a reason for doing all of this. Maybe it did have to do with being a god. Even so, I couldn't help but feel his motives were different. "Well let me ask you this, what would make you feel better? Knowing this is utterly pointless or knowing that there is a reason for being here. What would help you sleep at night. Even if you have to lie to yourself. Being bitter only makes it worse. Trust me, I know." After remaining silent to let what I said sink in, I stood up again and tightened my scarf to get ready to leave. "It's late, we should get going."

Edited by Koumori

"It shouldn't matter. Whether it's utterly pointless being here, or if there is something we are supposed to discover, in the end, it won't matter in the slightest. We are not here by choice. Knowing that there is a way out of this game is motive enough. That's what I believe anyways." Vayrin said quietly. She was not trying to be hostile this time, she was just stating her honest opinion. "That's what helps me sleep at night."  She said again. As Koumori stood up, he pulled his scarf up and declared an end to their conversation. Vayrin swished her hand to open her menu and looked through her map. 

"Yes, that would be best." She said again, not taking her eyes off the menu.

I sighed to myself. I never had someone who disagreed with me on this so thoroughly. Most people agreed or already thought something similar from the start. She wasn't having any of that. She wasn't being difficult anymore she was just not budging. There really was nothing else I could say. "I respect your opinion. Not everyone thinks the same way I know that but-" I looked to see her with her face buried in her menu. She answered my last statement as she continued to look at the screen. My face went sad as I looked to the floor. I had lost her. She wouldn't want to speak with me anymore. I started to walked to the door and when I reached it I grabbed the handle with my hand, but I paused before I opened it. "Not everything is just black and white" I said in her direction as I pulled it open and walked back out into the cold. I put my hands in my pockets as I walked past the windows and looked inside at her. I pulled up my own menu and selected her from my friends list and began to type a message. I pressed send when I was done. It read: "Sorry." Hopefully she'd understand what I had been trying to do. I didn't mean to hurt her. then I just stood there and looked out into the courtyard. 

Edited by Koumori

Now Vayrin had gotten quite confused with Koumori's behavior. She had been looking through her map, agreeing with his statement, when in the corner of her eye she noticed him look to the floor. He then continued to leave, as Vayrin pulled down her menu. She watched him as he left, still sitting in her chair at the empty table. His last words to her just made her look back down at the table. She didn't try and hurt him, if that's what he felt. She didn't think anyone would become offended because of another's opinion. Not about their purpose anyways. 

Her menu blipped with a notification. Surprised by it to be sure, Vayrin never got many of these. She opened it to see the message Koumori had sent her. He apologized. Vayrin swiveled her eyebrow up, not knowing why. He had no reason to apologize to her, none that she knew of at least. With that in mind, Vayrin slung over her hood, put her hands in her pockets and walked out the door. She turned and noticed Koumori standing it the courtyard. She nodded at him.

Edited by Vayrin