[P1-PP] (Shizuka) Leap of Faith

Arvin, the first in-game death. Toothpick could remember it well, he himself was there to witness it. The man had a crowd of sorts following him, and the pervasive and sickening feeling that wafted from the emptiness from which Arvin plummeted rose into crowd like the stench of the dead, perhaps it was. Toothpick wanted to say he tried to stop him, and while he did, he never grabbed the player, he only offered words, like many others. Toothpick had too much waiting for him to die in a “small altercation”, as he put it in an attempt to justify his “cowardice”. Nonetheless, Arvin was dead, and Toothpick was not. The mirror he kept on his person, the cubic sky box overhead, the edge from which Arvin fell, all of these were reminders of that very fact. A bench had been erected to overlook the spot, and it was from there that Toothpick sat, one hand holding Kayaba’s gift, and the other raised to the pipe in his mouth, smell of scented tobacco wafting into the air, nullifying the “stench” that Toothpick felt to his very bone. He figured a vice that did no harm was one worth trying, and thus he puffed, reminiscing on his “newbie” days.

It was a bright day as well. Even though something as tragic had happened that day fateful day, she was still attached to the features of the game. How can one simply refuse to notice the scenery of the glorious game? Shizuka smiled as she walked through the shops of the first floor and even though she had absolutely no col with her, she admired the things on the shop with complete cheerfulness. Soon, she wandered around the starting town, observing and admiring the many features the game provided for the players. If only Kayaba didn't screw everything up. She thought in hatred before regaining conscious. She liked to remain a positive person with a positive outlook on life and even though the people were trapped in the world, she tried to remain as optimistic as possible. She'd learned a valuable lesson from a boy called Koumori and she was going to be a good, cheerful girl that could bring smiles to people's faces. As she made her way around the starting city, she came across a man with a pipe and without any hesitation, she asked him about the pipe. "I didn't know you could get that in the game." She said with extreme cheerfulness and a big, friendly smile.

It’s cold A soft wind native to cliff edges blew through, carrying the smoke with it. Watching the altered path as it bounded out of sight, Toothpick realized that he had a certain affinity with benches. However, before the thought could be continued, the voice of another popped up, and Toothpick leaned back to look. Pink He blinked at her, registering her question on a slight delay. “Oh, this?” He pinched the shaft between his index and middle, pulling it out, vapors leaving his lips with the wood. “I didn’t know either-then I saw a lady smoking a cigar,” he added plainly. “Turns out, Tobacco is a drop from certain mobs, and you can get pipes from any ole’ NPC merchant at a pretty low price….do you want to try? I know you look under-aged, but so am I,” he held out the pipe for Shizuka to take with an outstretched arm, the woody sweetness of the smoke a subtle touch, “It could be either now or never, our friend Arvin proved that with style.” He had let the mirror rest on his kneecap before even turning towards Shizuka, a lingering glance at his calm expression all he had offered it before turning back to her.

"Eh," Shizuka said. Even though she's always willing to try out new things, she will certainly not smoke even if it is indeed in a video game. It was as if she's breaking the rule that her parents had enforced upon her and despite the fact that she was free from their rules and laws, her love for them is still there and hence she would never do something on purpose to hurt them and their feelings. But they're probably grieving for me right now... They're probably sure someone like me won't survive to see the end of this game... I'll show them. She thought before realizing that the man was still holding out the cigar for her to take. "Uh, no thanks. I prefer to do other things. I'm sure smoking is unhealthy even in a video game such as this. There are so many other things you could do like hiking, swimming, admiring the sunset while sitting on a hill. I do not understand why one would sit around a smoke a cigarette." She said, still with a straight, smiling face that wasn't going to change unless something terrifying would come. Like always, she was very sociable... and willing to talk and communicate with others. "I mean, look at the sky... Isn't it different from real life? Look at the way those trees danced to the bird's singing," She said before pointing to a crowd of birds, "There are so many things to enjoy and observe in this world!"

Toothpick shrugged, bringing up his menu and tapping away at the interface, the pipe vanishing away into pixels; if she didn’t like it, he wasn’t going to pester her with the fumes. If there is withdrawal, it’ll be remedied by whatever hospital stay we have to endure after escaping, if we get there. “There is a possibility that you can grow addicted, but I see it as a small issue. Though trust me, I’m not missing out on anything this ‘world’ has to offer. I’ve seen places that most wouldn’t even know about, and even if my expertise is on the lower floors, I’ve seen more than my fair share of ‘sights’.” Her endless smile poked Toothpick in some uncanny way that couldn’t fathom. He figured something amazing had happened to her. “If you don’t mind me asking…….is there something you’re happy about? It’s odd to see players smile that much, especially in someplace as quiet as this,” he gestured to their surroundings, this part of the city wasn’t in the way of foot traffic.   

"Eh. Well~ The world is a great place to smile about. I was quite depressed after the incident, but now I have developed a different viewpoint on life." Shizuka said, still maintaining her smile. "I think smiles would be able to influence others to smile and a world full of smiles is a happy one." Indeed, perhaps through her personal smiles, she would be able to allow others who are in distress the optimism to smile. Through Shizuka's eyes, everything has a positive to them and even the baddest of things or people have a good side to them... no exception. Well.... Except Kayaba and his mobs but he doesn't count. Shizuka thought with a grin to herself. "So. Uh... What are you doing out here in this part of the city?" Shizuka asked, seeing that the place was rather deserted for being in the starting city. "Maybe you should become more active and get out there more to explore the wonders of this world."

“Smile?”  he spat, “There is nothing to ‘smile’ about. Yes, the cage the is pleasant for the eyes, yes, the misery is collectively spliced and divied up among many, I can appreciate that. I would likely go insane if either facts weren’t true. None-the-less, behind it all is death. Kayaba made Sao with full understanding that he would kill people, drive some insane, ruin lives. Am I to smile as prisoner does when he's offered his last meal? ‘The steak is absolutely di-vine!’ ” he shouted, then paused. “Is that how I should see it!? ‘The peace of a lucid dream is contenting’-if we never escape, that is all Sao is…..” He would’ve said more, but he caught himself, half surprised with the outburst himself. He sighed, “I am ‘active’, and I have seen ‘wonders’, however, I do like to remember….home, my beginnings in Sao. That is what brings me here. This is the site of the first truth death, Alvin, a player who decided to test the system and leap off the edge of Aincrad.” He looked back towards the edge, the wind blew to meet him, the emotion that once flared within him gone, leaving to question if it ever was “Sometimes I wonder if he’s truly dead

heh

imagine if death here was really just the wake-up call there, the ultimate irony.” I would personally find and wring Kayaba dead if that was the case   

"Well, that was a rather pointless speech, mister," Shizuka said, still with a cheerful face. "Well developed, yet pointless. What a waste of time for someone like you to be sitting here smoking tobacco. In fact, with your unlimited vocabulary and diction, you could probably be a leader among people in SAO because words are an influence. Influence is power. However, do you know what else is power? Happiness. One word. Happiness. Smiles are the strongest influence on the world. No matter how bad things are looking, there's always something to be optimistic about. Indeed, I used to think like you but I've changed for the better." Shizuka said, also quite a pointless speech as words can only do so much even though it's a great way to influence others. People of the world are determined creatures. She thought before looking around, wondering if she'd attracted lots of others through this conversation. After finding that she hadn't, she continued with the numerous points that she was waiting to blurt out for this stranger. "I mean look; the birds in the sky who sings for players every morning, the trees that dance about whenever a gust of wind happens to walk past them, and look, the sun, how it blares and gives unlimited warmth. Not all things in this game are bad... In fact, many players that I've met are currently training hard, helping others while enjoying themselves in order to help us all out."

think like Toothpick’s face lit up as it’s owner huffed in a short-lived laughter, Well, at least I didn’t upset her “Oh trust me, I’m neither a slacker, nor a sulker. As I see it, with work, comes respite…...in that sense, coming here was a bad idea, put me in a sorrid mood. Nonetheless, thank you. I probably needed that….speech. Though,” he leaned back to look at her, adding with a smile, “Let it stand I never said anything in regards to human interactions, and…..also….. ” he gestured at the very bird’s Shizuka had pointed to earlier, “You have a point in saying that Sao’s so-called beauty should be viewed more on it’s face value rather than whats lays behind, leads to less stress.” He pointed towards the edge, “However, forgetting about that is just as bad as stressing out, ignorant bliss can only lead to an eventual crash, not that you didn’t already know...but..” He shrugged, “ ‘Pointless speech’, as you would put it?”  

"Eh... All I am saying is that just sitting around worried about everything won't help you or anyone else." Shizuka said, "You should head out and do something to improve your level as that would eventually lead to you becoming strong enough to fight alongside the stronger players who are risking their lives in order to free us all. Also, try not to worry too much and enjoy life. Worrying won't get you anywhere." Finally, she stopped talking in order to take a breath. For someone like her, talking for that long was not something that she's used to. However, honestly, there was not much to say afterwards. She was sure that she'd gotten the message across. "Mind if I sit next to you?" She asked before sitting down without a response. As she stared out in front, she realized that the scenery here was definitely not as good as other parts of the city and probably even the outskirts of the safe zone.

“Understandable, I’ll take your advice to heart,” he knew debating about the value of his efforts was pointless, so he conceded. Alvin was proof enough that he could’ve done more, and Alvin was proof enough that he could be more optimistic. His eyes followed as Shizuka moved to the bench, arm retracting from the ridge of the backrest and to his side as her back met with what was once his roost. He leaned further into the armrest, looking straight ahead, and into the clouds that awaited at the other end.  Silence, and then, Toothpick’s voice, “Do you see the ridge of the skybox? You can see it perfectly from here,” he pointed to a corner in the sky, then to another, reality, clouds, blue, all bending at 90 degrees in every plane. “Life lies beyond.”

Indeed, when Toothpick pointed at a corner of the sky, she had been able to see it. However, she did not understand what point Toothpick had tried to deliver when he said that life was beyond. "What do you mean?" She asked, confusing arising in her eyes. From what she could tell, the man was very wise and speaks as if he's making a poem or a puzzle for purposes unknown. Well, that's how he decides to talk. She thought. She'd made no sense of the man's last three words even though she felt as if she should. Oh well. She thought before looking up at the sky really quick. It was noon now and she could feel a rumble in her stomach. However, she did not want to simply leave the man behind as she thought that that would not be polite or mannerous. "Eh. Let's talk later. I'm getting kind of hungry. I know a ramen booth nearby, wanna tag along with me for some quick food?" She asked with a smile.

“What do I mean?...” he almost stopped himself there, unsure of Shizua’s overall desire to continue down that train of thought, but he respected her enough not to baby her. “Well, what I mean is that this ‘world’ only matters because of what's up there, past the closest point to home,” he said plainly, arm falling by his side as he did. “For example, If we were brains in a jar inserted into a program and told we were human, each with unique ‘memories’, beating the 100th floor wouldn’t matter, infact, it would harm us if we did. There’s nothing waiting out there for us, assuming we were told only one lie. Like the NPC’s, and the Mob’s, we would fade, or the cycle might just repeat. I mean, that's definitely not our situation, but who knows for certain? I don’t,” he shrugged, “do you?” He drummed his fingers against the armrest, “But yeah, I’d be up fr some ramen, haven’t had that in a while,” he suspected he knew what booth Shizua was referring to, but the city always surprised him.

"Okay. Let's go then." Shizuka said happily with a smile. "You might know this place as it is quite popular among low leveled players. Still I like it quite a bit as it is very simple yet delicious at the same time." Thus, she stood up and patted some dust from her back before walking off. "Follow me then." She said simply as she led the player toward the direction of the ramen shop. Soon, in no time, they arrived at the open instant noodle booth and with haste, she sat down on the right side, allowing Toothpick to sit to her left where there's an open seat for him to sit in. "Alright. I'm going to go with a spicy chicken flavored bowl of goodness." She said cheerfully, excited that she would be filling up her stomach after quite a long day in which she hadn't eaten. "There's quite a variety of different flavors." She explained before pointing at the menu that was above them. "You can order among those. There's probably at least fifty different types of ramen flavors." She predicted before waiting for Toothpick to order and waiting for her order to arrive so she can devour the food item.

“Agreed,” he rose from the bench, one last lingering glance for the bench, and he followed. “Popular? Even so, I probably haven’t seen it, even those who live here miss out on abit, I would know; spent a lot of time on the first floor, know it like the back of my hand, yet, even the Starting city mystifies me. It winds and turns in ways that...are..strange.” He left the thought there, the uncanny feeling that they were going through one of those many ‘turns’ washing over him. Regardless, it soon released it’s hold over him, and the welcoming decor of the ramen shop embraced him. Toothpick slid into his seat, glancing over the two other patrons before looking back up to the menu, listening to Shizuka’s explanation as his eyes scanned for the select few keywords he knew he could trust, “I’ll have the Beef & Veggie stew myself.”

Beef and veggie stew? She thought the man had said and surely, the NPC ramen maker delivered the request alongside her own ramen. Quite an unusual order... not many people come for stew. She thought before shrugging. Eh. Everyone's different. I can't expect him to have the same taste like myself. She finally decided before taking a pair of one-time chopsticks and handing it over the toothpick. Then, she picked one up for herself and with a word of prayer, she began to slurp away. At first, she took it quite slow as the ramen and soup were rather hot. She'd found out that spicy and hotness was not a healthy combination for the human tongue and mouth about a week ago. However, soon, she was able to slurp away with a faster pace as the noodles were no longer blaring hot as they were. Makes it taste so much better. She thought when she had almost finished half of her bowl.

Toothpick’s hand took the chopsticks gingerly, unsure of how to treat them, “Thank you.” He glanced about the stall in hopes of catching out a stray spoon or fork, entirely unaccustomed to the use of chopsticks. The bowls came, and even though he saw spoons behind the stall’s counter, he didn’t ask out of fear of being rude, and the sudden inspiration to learn from observation. Prayer? he blinked, he didn’t expect her to pray of all things. He was familiar with spirituality in Sao, however, he did not take Shizuka for one pray. “Who do you pray to? If you don’t mind me asking,” He pinched the chopsticks in-between his fingers and scooped up a few noodles and a chunk of beef, managing to get the latter in his mouth, the former slipping off and back into the bowl with a splish of steaming broth, some potatoes bobbing in the murky green liquid.

"Well, I would say that I pray to RNGesus. But that would be a lie as he hasn't treated me that well in this game so far. I pray to God. God of Christianity." Shizuka said. Indeed, she might not look like it, but she was rather religious. Perhaps this was why she has developed some of her personal traits such as her inability to lie and her hardest tries to not sin. He looks uncomfortable with that chopstick. She thought in amusement as she realized that not all Americans are able to use them. In fact, I've only learnt to use them since about a few weeks ago when I decided that asking for a plastic fork was too much hassle for me. Shizuka thought. Nevertheless, she decided that she would ask for a plastic fork as the man was obviously uncomfortable with the art of chopsticks. "Eh. Owner!" She shouted so that the NPC could hear her from the kitchen. "May I have a plastic fork for my friend here?" She asked and watched as the NPC came over with a white plastic fork.

“Hmm, no offence, but the pink hair screamed ‘rebel’ to me. I still can’t shake off the notion that hair styles, and fashion as a whole, have completely different standards in video games. Culture shock still gets me,” he waved the chopstick about in the air, readjusting his grip, and gesturing at the same time. He dipped in, and was in the process of attempting to stab a chunk of beef when he saw the fork. “Oh, so it was that obvious eh? I guess I have a lot to learn,” he chuckled, trading his chopsticks for a wieldy fork. The plastic drew a raised brow, but it wouldn’t be the first time that the real world had broken through, so he ate without question, and the stew was good.

Shizuka smiled. "I'd like to think of NPC Shopkeepers as regular people that pretty much does what we tell them to," She said. "I try to be polite and when I need something, they will do it for me. Regarding my hair, I used to be a... uh... mascot for my father's business and people found my pink hair rather charming." Shizuka remembered those days when she would be practically locked out of the real world and kept inside in order to perserve her beauty and make sure no harm or danger can occur to her. That was why she had become so obsessed with video games as it was really the only way she could interact with other people her age even though people's faces were not shown. Perhaps this is better than real life. She considered before eating her ramen. Normally she would finish her ramen in a quick fashion but now, she wasn't very keen on that. She'd rather enjoy the scenery which was absolutely astonishing at the moment. The sun was at its highest point and it shown down upon the beautiful world. She remembered a mountain that Ryuma had shown her. I'd like to go there again soon. She thought before sighing and continuing to eat. However, before she did so, she asked, "So, what about you? What's your culture?"