(SP-F6) A Doppelganger...?! <The Gemini>

Greg had visited Floor 6 in search of a quest to do in an attempt to grow stronger. If he wanted to impress Shizuka, the girl he had feelings for, he needed to grow stronger, and the best way to do that was to complete quests. As he was walking along, a mysterious NPC came along. "Hello, Traveler. Would you like to duel me?" He said as he sent a duel request to Greg. Greg, thinking nothing of it, accepted the duel request, before the man smirked... and promptly transformed... and Greg was shocked by what he saw. His opponent was wielding an <Anneal Blade>... and a <Coat of the Azure Wind>. He had Blonde Hair and Blue eyes, and was wearing a blue jumpsuit underneath his armor- It was an EXACT copy of Greg. "What the...?!" Greg muttered before equipping his gear and preparing for combat.

Greg: 40/40 HP, 10/10 EN.

Gemini: 40/40 HP, 10/10 EN

Greg took the initiative. He lunged towards the doppelganger and struck using a new Sword Art he had recently acquired, <Vertical Arc>. He brung his sword down once diagonally...!

ID: 38541

BD 2: Miss!

Unfortunately, the doppelganger reacted quickly and jumped out of the way. He then tried to respond with his own <Vertical Arc>. The Doppelganger mimics Greg's movements right down to the diagonal slash, but faster...!

MD 7-3=4: Miss!

Realizing the danger approaching, Greg quickly recovers and sidesteps the slash! Neither Player nor Boss had landed a blow yet, but Greg couldn't let his guard down. If he did, the Gemini could potentially kill him right then and there! This was a duel to the death, after all.

Greg: 40/40 HP, 8/10 EN.

Gemini: 40/40 HP, 8/10 EN.

The Gemini sneered. "What's the matter? Can't keep up?" the NPC mocked. Greg returned with a smirk of his own. "Really? I thought you were the one who couldn't keep up, there, faker!" he fired back, before attempting Vertical Arc again.

ID: 38542

BD 6: Hit!

Greg's Sword connects this time, and as the blow comes down, he shifts grips and brings in another slash in the opposite angle, creating a V-Shape which slams into the Doppelganger, dealing heavy damage! "Rrgh, not bad. Let's see how you like this, though!" the doppelganger yelled as he prepared his own <Vertical Arc>, coming in on Greg at blinding speeds...!

MD 10: Super Crit! +2 Base Damage!

Greg grunts in annoyance as the blade goes through his body with a crit! Looking at his health bar... he realized that his non-critical <Vertical Arc> did the same amount of damage as his adversary's critical <Vertical Arc>. It was then that Greg realized something... the Doppelganger is weaker and doesn't have enchantments on his weaponry! "That's it!" he called out as he figured out the weakness of his opponent. "You can't copy your opponent exactly, so you're always inferior as far as damage and equipment go. In that case, you might wanna give up, or else you're gonna die. You may be able to copy skills, but equipment and consumables? No chance." Greg taunts the Doppelganger.

Greg: 29/40 HP, 5/10 EN.

Gemini: 29/40 HP, 5/10 EN.

The doppelganger's face pales for a second before he shakes it off and continues his assault. The two lunge for each other, with Greg opting to go for something different instead of <Vertical Arc> this time, specifically <Sonic Leap!> His sword glows as he charges towards the doppelganger, ready to run it through with his blade!

ID: 38544

BD 5: Miss!

Unfortunately, his lunge goes just to the right of the Doppelganger, who attempts to throw out another <Vertical Arc>, trying to cleave clean through Greg!

MD 5-3=2: Miss!

Greg is once again more than fast enough to leap away from the blow! "Looks like that lack of evasion on your side is really holding you back!" he taunts once again. "Oh yeah? I don't see you doing any better!" the doppelganger fires back.

Greg: 29/40 HP, 4/10 EN.

Gemini: 29/40 HP, 4/10 EN.

As the two Gregs exchanged witty banter and sword blows, neither was giving an inch. The two were evenly matched, minus the equipment and damage advantage in Greg's favour. Greg only had to pray that his luck didn't betray him and get him killed to this faker. Feeling a bad premonition, Greg pulled out the Sand Armor Potion and applied it to his armor, just in case he was hit by a powerful attack.

BD 4: Irrelevant, as Greg is using a consumable. Sand Armor Potion used: +3 Mit for the remainder of the battle.

As the Doppelganger once again charged using <Vertical Arc>, he yelled out something that distracted Greg. "You think you're strong enough to protect that girl, Shizuka? Hah! You're nowhere near strong enough!" 

MD 10: Super Critical! +2 Base Damage!

The Doppelganger's distraction proved effective as his blade once again tore through Greg. Thankfully the Potion had reduced the damage he had taken and the Doppelganger was now out of energy, but Greg still had to be wary. He was running rather low on HP, and if he took too many of those, he'd be dead.

Greg: 21/40 HP, 5/10 EN.

Gemini: 29/40 HP, 1/10 EN.

Angry at the Doppelganger for his insult, Greg thought about attacking again, but realized that would be a bad idea in his current state. Instead, he opted to take out one of his two healing potions and use it, regaining his HP. He sighed in relief as his HP went back up into the green. The fake, angry at this healing, lunged again, this time with a mere <Vertical>, since it was out of energy!

ID: 38548

BD6: Irrelevant (Consumable used). Greg regained 15 HP.

MD 7-3=4: Miss!

Greg sighed as the Gemini continued to try to kill him, and failed miserably. "You can't beat me. You know why? Because I have a drive. A motivation." he told the fake Greg.

Greg: 36/40 HP, 6/10 EN.

Gemini: 29/40 HP, 1/10 EN.

Edited by Greg Baxen

The Doppelganger lunged once again, preparing to slice through Greg with a <Slant>! Its blade moved diagonally as the boss went to slice Greg clean in two...!

ID: 38549

MD 5-3=2: Miss!

Only for Greg to effortlessly sidestep the blade, before retaliating with his own <Vertical Arc>! He brung his blade down as the faker's attack flies past him...!

BD 10: Super Critical! +2 Base Damage!

Greg's blade goes clean through the faker's body, and, despite the reduced damage due to the boss copying Greg's armor skill, he still did approximately half the Gemini's Max HP in one sword art! "You're correct in that I'm not strong enough to protect Shizuka right now. I'll grant you that. But you see... That's why i came here. To train. To grow stronger. To become able to protect her. That is my resolve. My drive. The reason I have to survive. And because of that, plus your inability to copy equipment, you can't win. Your blade isn't as honed as mine is." Greg says to the faker condescendingly.

Greg: 36/40 HP, 3/10 EN.

Gemini: 10/40 HP, 1/10 EN.

"Damn you! I WILL NOT LOSE TO SOME STUCK-UP KID! DIE!" The doppelganger yells as it prepares its <Snake Bite> Sword Art, performing the same motions that Greg would perform the move with. It swings at an angle with one hand, then switches grips and swings again at a different angle with another.

ID: 38550

MD 1: Critical Failure...

The Mob completely fails its Sword Art, and falls on the floor, helpless. "This stops here. I'm ending this. Now." he says bluntly as his sword glows, and he goes through the motions for his own <Snake Bite>!

BD 10: Super Crit! +2 Base Damage!

Greg's blade tears through the faker as it screams in pain. Greg almost feels bad for the thing, but remembers that it tried to kill him. However, what Greg didn't expect was that the faker's health bar would stop just shy of 0. It didn't finish him off. Greg muttered to himself. "Dang, didn't expect it to survive that..." 

Greg: 36/40 HP, 2/10 EN.

Gemini: 3/40 HP, 0/10 EN.

Greg knew that this battle was over. There was no way, even if the Doppelganger COULD use Vertical Arc, that it could kill Greg before Greg killed it. He lectures the Doppelganger. "Taunting someone about their loved ones is never a good idea. You invited this humiliating defeat upon yourself. I would normally leave you right here, but you're an NPC, and one who tried to kill me, and would likely try to kill others too at that. I can't let you live." he says to his fake. The fake futilely tried to strike at Greg with the <Slant> Sword Art, swinging its sword diagonally in an attempt to cleave him in two!

ID: 38552

MD4-3=1: Failure.

The copy fails miserably, as Greg deflects the blow with his own blade before bringing it down vertically upon the weakened fake.

BD 9: Critical Hit! +1 Damage!

The blow strikes the faker hard, but only takes off 1 point of its health. The fake is in absolute despair. Greg almost felt pity. Almost.

Gemini: 2/40 HP, 0/10 EN.

The Doppelganger couldn't believe it was losing so miserably. It stared in disbelief. "What... What ARE you...?!" it barely managed to wheese out between its heavy breaths. The Doppelganger was almost dead so it would have trouble talking, obviously. Greg grunted and brought his blade down upon the Doppelganger again, this time at a <Slant>.

ID: 38554

BD 10: Super Crit! +2 Damage!

The blade once again cut at the Doppelganger, who was screaming in agony and frustration. Not only was it being killed, but tossed aside like it was nothing! Not only was it being tortured but downright humiliated!

MD3-3=0: Failure.

And yet... it couldn't do anything. It had utterly lost. It only had one health point left, and the being it had copied was in good shape with enough energy to kill it. Unless it got insanely lucky, there was no chance it would survive.

Gemini: 1/40 HP, 0/10 EN.

Greg decided that the Doppelganger could use a bit more suffering for angering him and implying that he couldn't protect the woman he loved no matter what he did, so he said to it these exact words. "I'll give ya a free shot." As such, the Doppelganger took its chance and attempted to strike Greg with <Slant>!

ID: 38555

MD 10: Super Crit! +2 Damage!

The Gemini scored a Super Crit, and its hopes were raised as it felt it could kill Greg with this... for all of one second. When it looked at Greg's health bar, it had only dropped a miniscule amount. Even a Super Crit from the Doppelganger hadn't hurt him much at all! Greg chuckled at the futility of it, not even bothering to attack.

Greg: 35/40 HP. 3/10 EN.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg was growing bored. He could toy with the Doppelganger for a bit longer but his patience was growing thin. He wanted it to surrender and realize just how hopeless this fight, and future fights with players were, to make it give up. Greg thought that, while unlikely, it's possible that he could do it. Part of him wanted to believe, and he trusted that part for now. "Give up, this fight is over. If you promise to not try to kill anyone ever again, I'll spare your life." he said, before letting out a sigh. The doppelganger didn't like this and once again slashed at Greg with <Slant>.

ID: 38557.

MD 1: Crit Failure! Greg effortlessly stopped the blade, this time with his bare hands, the slash had that little power. 'That should get through to him.' Greg mused.

Greg: 35/40 HP, 4/10 EN.

"I won't give up! I WILL KILL YOU AND ALL YOU HOLD DEAR!" The doppelganger yelled out, holding in its agony, before lunging at Greg once again with <Slant!>

ID: 38559.

MD3-3=0: Failure.

Greg once again effortlessly sidestepped the predictable assault. Greg was growing tired of this. "You're seriously trying my patience here. Stop it. Don't make me kill you, and I warn you, I WILL kill you if forced to." What Greg was saying is partially true. While Greg knew he had to kill the mob, he still didn't like it, as it made him feel like a bad person, even though it was an NPC.

Greg: 35/40 HP, 5/10 EN.

Neither Greg nor the Doppelganger attacked, for different reasons. In this case, the Doppelganger was too pre-occupied in trying to get up to strike at Greg, while Greg was still trying to get it to give up. Greg was losing his patience, though, and he was going to end this fight soon if the Doppelganger didn't surrender. "If this guy doesn't give up soon..." Greg mutters underneath his breath, before his thoughts were of taking the Doppelganger's head off. He really didn't want to kill someone, even if it was an NPC, especially since it looks like himself.

ID: 38560

BD: Irrelevant, as Greg is taking no action.

MD: Also irrelevant.

Greg: 35/40 HP, 6/10 EN.

Gemini: 1/40 HP, 1/10 EN.

Edited by Greg Baxen

The Doppelganger was still attempting to get up, and lunged at Greg with <Snake Bite>! It once again pulled off those two slashes Greg loved to show off with!

ID: 38562

MD4-3=1: Failure.

Greg effortlessly stepped backwards and out of the way of the slashes as the Doppelganger fell to its knees in exhaustion and pain. Greg grew tired of this. If this Doppelganger didn't give up VERY soon, it was going to have one less head, and Greg would have one more kill on his name. He didn't want to become a cold-hearted killer, and he felt if he dealt that last blow he would. At the same time, though, his patience was wearing ridiculously thin.

Greg: 35/40 HP, 7/10 EN.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Once again, the Doppelganger fails to do anything as it's too tired and exhausted to try to attack Greg. At the same time, Greg is still torn on whether or not to finish the Doppelganger off now or continue trying to convince it to give up. "What do I do...? What would Shizuka or Calrex do...?" he mutters to himself. The Doppelganger is surprised that it's still alive, but realizes that once Greg gets over his soft-heartedness and decides 'this has gone on long enough', it's finished. done for. dead. It hates that Greg is stalling, and wants Greg dead- or to die trying. It once again attempts to whittle down Greg's HP, seeing as <Snake Bite> hasn't worked, simply by spamming <Slant> over and over!

ID: 38563

MD 7-3=4: Failure.

However, Greg is continously sidestepping every single attack it makes bar a lucky shot which does nothing.

Greg: 35/40 HP, 8/10 EN.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg was growing tired of this. If that boss refused so adamantly once more, he was going to take its head off. As he mused this, the Gemini unleashed yet another <Slant>!

ID: 38564

MD 10: Super Crit! +2 Damage!

Greg doesn't even bother to defend himself from this one. Even with the Super Crit, the <Slant> still only did one damage- meaning Greg had hardly anything to worry about. Greg was at the limits of his patience though, and if this guy didn't give up VERY SOON... let's just say that blood would be spilt, and not his blood... or whatever the blood equivalent is.

Greg: 34/40 HP, 9/10 EN.

Greg had had it. He couldn't take it any more. This... thing... stubbornly refused to surrender and leave quietly to never return. Greg's eyes hardened and he prepared to finish the Doppelganger off, as his sword begun to glow as he prepared to unleash a new Sword Art, <Horizontal Square>! "I've had enough! Who do you think you are, anyway?" he says to the doppelganger angrily.

ID: 38566

BD2: Failure!

Against all odds, Greg missed and got his sword stuck in the ground. The Gemini tried to take this chance to strike using Slant again...!

MD8-3=5: Failure!

But he barely missed. The Doppelganger despaired- it was over. Greg had lost his patience and was going to kill it soon. It panicked, and desperately attempted to get up.

Greg: 34/40 HP, 8/10 EN.

Greg patience had run dry. He was too tired of this thing's attempts to kill him and undermine his love for Shizuka to tolerate it any more. He begins walking towards the Doppelganger. "Earlier, you asked what I am. My answer: A player who has someone they want to protect at all costs." before the Doppelganger could reply, Greg had already begun the motions for <Horizontal Square>. "I'm sorry..." he muttered, before lunging.

ID: 38567

BD7: Hit!

Greg slashed at the Doppelganger four times, each hitting a different side of its neck. At the fourth hit, the fake's head came clean off and disintegrated as the body fell lifeless to the ground and disintegrated as well.

LD: 15.

A window popped up saying "Quest Clear!" as Greg received some Col and a new skill for his troubles- <Concentration>.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg felt drained. He had just taken a life, even if it was merely an artificial AI and not a real life. He looked at his hands, distraught. "I'm gonna need a break from fighting for a while... and possibly some counselling too..." he muttered. Taking down monsters and non-humans were one thing, but killing a human-like enemy with human-like intelligence was another, especially since it struggled and clung to life like a human would. It disturbed Greg. Was Kayaba REALLY that sadistic?! Greg shuddered at the though.

Edited by Greg Baxen