[F1-SP] Material Hunting!

Greg had recently opened shop in Floor 1, next to the shop of Shizuka, whom he was in love with. However, there was just one issue: he had recently spent his last materials from buying a potion from said shop, and had to go out and find more! As such, he explored to find as many rocks as he could, in an attempt to mine them. Exploring the fields of floor 1, he checked around, seeing if there were any prospective ores to be mined. "If i were a metal ore waiting to be smelted, where would I be?" he muttered to himself.

Edited by Greg Baxen

He searched through the fields and forests of floor one, moving through nooks and crannies in an attempt to find those elusive mats. Once he had them, he could begin practicing his Blacksmithing skill- which would allow him to create better weapons- both for himself and for other players. He would also be able to craft armor, shields and tools for others. He looked at a nearby rock, and attempted to mine it with the freely-provided pickaxe, to see if it contained any ores.

ID: 39001

LD 20: Success!

Much to Greg's delight, he found one! Pocketing the ore, he moved on.

Edited by Greg Baxen

One material down, but he needed more. He wanted to craft a better blade for himself because, as useful as the <Anneal Blade> is, he was going to need to step up his game soon. He would then sell his <Anneal Blade> to anyone who wished to buy it. Greg wondered what Shizuka was doing right now. Probably gathering materials on her own time, he concluded. Just because he was in love with her didn't mean he wouldn't give her some space. He attempted to mine another rock.

ID: 39004

LD: 19.

Luck was shining down on Greg today, as he managed to bag another ore.

Continuing on, he also wondered about the other people he had met. What of Calrex? How was Calrex's relationship with Teayre going? He remembered that Calrex had referred to Teayre as his fiancée. Does that mean they were married now? Greg thought of this and wished Calrex luck wherever he may be and whatever he was doing. Calrex deserved some luck, after all. He did help Greg out. Greg swung his pick at another rock.

ID: 39006

LD 19: Success!

What were the chances? Three in a row! Greg knew karma was going to strike him soon, so he kept an eye out for any trouble.

Then there was Blue. While Greg didn't know the guy much, Greg did owe him, not only for helping him attain the <Martial Arts> Skill, but for crafting his <Coat of the Azure Wind>. He didn't know what the tailor was doing at this moment, but he wished him luck anyway. As he was doing this, he located another rock and brought his pick down.

ID: 39007

LD 16: Success!

'There is a god,' Greg thought. 'And said god is currently favouring me.' he continued his thoughts. Why? Because he had found YET ANOTHER material! Four in a row! He must've had some good luck stored up, probably from that incident in <Breaking the Unbreakable>.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg smiled. He'd gotten to know a few wonderful people and become friends with them. He wondered if he would remain in contact with them once SAO was cleared. He would definitely attempt to stay in touch with Shizuka (or her real-world counterpart, anyway), and he'd probably try to keep in touch with Calrex, too. Maybe they'd play together on an MMO sometime. The hell if he knew. Once again the pick comes down on a nearby helpless rock.

ID: 39008

LD 13: Failure...

The rock shattered, and no ore was found. 'Damn it.' he thought as his good luck seemed to run out.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Thinking about his future in Aincrad, Greg thought about what he planned to do. Levelling up and finishing his build, for starters, so that he can get to work on escaping back to reality. He would probably get married to Shizuka at some point, too, he figured, considering how they're getting along right now. He also wanted to improve his smithing skills so he can arm those that will follow in his footsteps, and possibly obtain a Unique Skill. According to the Info Broker, the Unique Skills that have currently been taken (He only knew the names, not the effects) were as follows: Dual Blades. The Shadowed Path. Darkness Blade. The Berserker. The Duelist. Battojutsu. Achilles. Another rock fell to the pick.

ID: 39009

LD 2: Failure...

The rock doesn't leave anything behind. Greg sighs dejectedly before moving on.

Greg was thinking about random things now. Do Hot Dogs exist in Aincrad? What would they taste like? What's the meaning of life? Why are cabbages green? Why are his eyes blue? Why do natural disasters occur in the real world? Where did Kayaba get his inspiration to create monsters from? Where is Kayaba watching the players from? IS he watching the players? Why was he thinking so randomly? Greg then stumbled over a rock. Getting to his feet and dusting himself off, he raised his pick.

ID: 39010

LD 9: Failure...

Once again the rock shatters, leaving nothing to be salvaged. Greg couldn't even be bothered moaning, he was just too lazy today.

Greg's thoughts then took a different turn- things he found charming about Shizuka. Her way of speaking. She always had a polite and refined way of speaking. Her kindness. She's always one to help others in need. Her looks. She was rather pretty, he couldn't deny that. Her tastes. She definitely had a good eye for restaraunts and romantic situations. Her strength. While she wasn't a fighter, by any means, she did have a strength of will, and that lead to her being a full four levels higher than he was. Greg respected that, and this motivated him to catch up. Another Rock, another pick swing.

ID: 39001

LD 17: Success!

Greg's luck reversed again as an ore came out! 'Apparently whatever god is intervening with my life is a fickle one.' he mentally deadpanned.

After that, it was potential directions he could go after getting out of Aincrad. First and foremost, though, he'd find Shizuka's real-life counterpart. He vowed this. Secondly, he would likely lay off the VRMMOs for a while, until technology was more advanced and a bit safer. He'd possibly date Shizuka in real life, much like he's dating her now in Aincrad. He smiled at that thought. Who knew that acting completely against the way he'd normally act would net him a lover? He sure didn't! Another rock shakes Greg out of his thoughts by obstructing his path. Greg brought out his pick and got to work.

ID: 39012

LD 11: Failure...

Greg sighed as the rock broke again. Where were all the damn Mats?

Greg needed something to distract himself from the monotonous pace of mining. He turned to think of as many internet memes as possible. Phrases such as "Nanomachines, Son!", "IT'S OVER 9000!", "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!" and "Your drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!" flew through his mind. Then Greg tripped over a rock. In response, Greg took a humorous tone and in a fake-hurt voice, said "Ow, the edge." Getting up, he raises his pick. "This is like taking candy from a baby, which is fine by me."

ID: 39014.

LD 1: Failure...

Greg's pick snapped this time, instead of the rock. His reaction was a flat "You've gotta be kidding me. Is this punishment for that meme?" He could always just get a new one, since they seem to auto-spawn, but come on!

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg's thoughts drifted to some of his favourite pieces of music. He begun singing the lyrics to Endless Possibilities by Bowling for Soup. "This is my escape, I'm running through this world and I'm not lookin' back! 'Cus I know I can go where no-one's ever gone and i'm not lookin' back!" he sung. "But how will i know when I get there? And how will I know when to leave? We've all gotta start from somewhere and it's right there for me- oof!" Greg was cut off when he tripped over a rock. Groaning, Greg took his pick out and brought it down on the object which dared to trip him up.

ID: 39015

LD 10: Failure.

Greg wasn't surprised when the rock exploded into pixels, without leaving an ore. He just moved on.

Greg wondered what the unique skills were like, based on the names. Dual Blades was an obvious one- dual-wielding One-Handed Swords. Battojutsu was more commonly known as Iaijutsu nowadays, so the art of drawing a blade and slashing with it quickly. Achilles was named after the Greek Hero, who was invincible everywhere for his heel, so he assumed that would be some kind of defensive ability. Berserkers usually got stronger the angrier they got, or in videogames, the more wounded they were. Does that apply here too? A Wild rock appeared! Greg used Mine!

ID: 39016

LD 16: Success!

It's super effective! Greg obtained one ore! The wild rock was destroyed!

Edited by Greg Baxen

Darkness Blade sounded somewhat evil, but it couldn't be. Instead, he assumed that it would be Arts that drain the user's HP on use but are extremely powerful, similar to a certain RPG series' Dark Knight class. The Duelist was a complete mystery to Greg, considering it was so vague. There was literally so much it could mean. As for The Shadowed Path? One word came to Greg's mind immediately with that name. Said word was 'Ninjas'. It had to be Ninjas. There's nothing else it could be, he thought. Another rock appeared out of nowhere when he thought this. Once again Greg raised the pick ready to extract any valuable materials.

ID: 39018

LD 4: Failure...

The rock shattered again.

Greg decided to stop mining right then and there and instead start fighting Boars. Bone can make just as good a material as metal, Greg thought. Looking around, he saw a group of Four Boars, which noticed him. They were all rather large... and they snorted, before moving towards Greg. Greg approached cautiously, unsheathing his <Anneal Blade> and preparing for Combat. These Boars seemed dangerous- and Greg was right. Analyzing them, they were closer to something about four floors up. Greg knew he couldn't let these things live. They seemed to have scars, though. Possibly their defenses were weaker?

BATTLE START!

Greg Baxen: 48/48 HP, 12/12 EN.

Boar A: 30/30 HP, 15 Damage.

Boar B: 28/28 HP, 14 Damage

Boar C: 26/26 HP, 13 Damage.

Boar D: 24/24 HP, 12 Damage.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg opts to take the first move and immediately opens with a <Vertical Square> Sword Art, in an attempt to hit all four boars at once. He swings his sword diagonally to create the square shape of Horizontal Square Vertically, while attempting to hit each Boar... he concentrates, activating <Concentration> to further bolster his damage...

ID: 39019

BD 9: Crit! +1 Base Damage! (4+2x4x1=24 damage)

Greg's <Vertical Square> strikes home, flat-out bisecting the youngest of the boars, and dealing heavy damage to the others! In its rage, the lead boar charges and tries to gore Greg!

MD 1: Crit Fail...

It doesn't get very far, tripping over its own legs after the first three steps. Taking so much damage seems to have disoriented the boars.

Greg: 48/48 HP, 4/12 EN.

Boar A: 6/30 HP

Boar B: 4/28 HP.

Boar C: 2/26 HP.

Boar D: DEAD

Greg checked for loot...

LD 9: Nothing...

He didn't get anything.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg notices the second-youngest of the boars trying to escape. Not wanting to miss out on valuable loot and EXP, he intercepts it, attempting to hack into it with <Vertical>! He brings his blade down, ready to tear the boar in two...!

ID: 39021

BD 2: Miss!

Greg missed. Of course he missed. Why would anything else happen? He inwardly deadpanned. As he did this, the second-oldest boar charged while crying out. Greg turns and prepares to react to the incoming attack.

MD 4: Miss!

Boar B's charge goes wide and actually hits the fleeing Boar C, who ends up falling over, stopping it from running! 'Well, that was convenient.' he thought to himself, amused.

Greg: 48/48 HP, 3/12 EN.

Boar A: 6/30 HP.

Boar B: 4/28 HP.

Boar C: 2/26 HP.

Taking advantage of the commotion, Greg readied his <Horizontal>, bringing his sword sideways in an attempt to hit all three boars at once!  If this hit, Greg thought that it would take down two of the boars and leave the third in critical condition, leaving it wide open for the kill.

ID: 39023

BD 6: Hit!

Greg's blade goes clean through Boars B and C, splitting both in half before they dissolve into pixels! Boar A roars in anger as the blade hits it and rushes at Greg at top speed! Hatred was evident in its eyes!

MD 6-3=3: Failure!

Greg sidesteps the Boar and it runs into a tree. As he does this, Greg calls out. "Olé!" he says, acting like a matador. Greg checked for loot...!

LD 3: Zilch.

Nope, still nothing. Greg groaned. Where was his loot? He wanted some loot, dang it!

Greg Baxen: 48/48 HP, 2/12 En.

Boar A: 2/30 HP.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg attempted to finish the boar off using <Snake Bite>! He whirled around with his blade at an angle, using those same two tried-and-tested angular slashes he loved to show off with.

ID: 39025.

BD 2: Miss!

Greg's slashes both miss their mark. Greg blinks for a moment before muttering a deadpan "You've gotta be kidding me. Again." This was seriously trying his patience. Why wouldn't this boar die?! It got up and readied to charge Greg again, who prepares himself for  an oncoming attack...!

MD 7-3=4: Miss!

But the Boar's legs give and it falls over again. Greg chuckles at this. The boar goofed up.

Greg Baxen: 48/48 HP, 1/12 EN.

Boar A: 2/30 HP.

Edited by Greg Baxen

Greg opted to attempt <Snake Bite> again! Whirling around with his blades at an angle, he attempts to tear the boar asunder! His swords glow and head in the Boar's general direction...! 

ID: 39026.

BD 9: Critical Hit! +1 Base Damage!

Greg's blade does more than just slice the Boar in two- it flat-out obliterates the Boar! Smiling at a job well done, he checks to see if he got any loot!

LD 3: Nothin'.

No luck, it seemed. Greg sighed dejectedly and looked at the sky. It was getting late so Greg decided he would stop his material gathering for the day, counting up the mats he obtained from mining.

Edited by Greg Baxen