(SP-F9) Wait, is this Pokémon or SAO? <<Feeding the Enemy>> COMPLETE

Ayumu had to stop and catch her breath before venturing any further. Since she didn't have a teleportation crystal yet, she had to venture through and find the teleportation gate for all eight floors previous to this one. She made this trek for several reasons: one to stop hiding on the first floor, and two in order to take the <<Feeding the Enemy>> quest. For this quest, she could've gone to any floor...or even just stayed on floor one. Ayumu had a particular reason for going to the ninth floor though, and this had to do with the type of familiar she wanted to try and tame. When her breathing was finally back to normal, she looked around, taking in her surroundings. Her stomach lurched a little, as she realized she was standing in a metal village...suspended above a volcano. Feeling rather sick at the thought of falling off of the edge of this thing...and not to mention, quite hot as a volcano was right beneath her.

I suppose I'm off to see if my speculations are right. She thought. Hopefully there will be a phoenix on this floor.

Her mind went back to the quest details the Gypsy Lady had given her, in order to remember all that she needed to do...

Edited by Ayumu

About an hour prior...

"Uuuuugh!" she groaned, "boooored!"

Ayumu was currently sprawled out on one of the grassy fields in floor one. It was a day like any average day - she did some hunting, mentally complained about not leveling up faster, and wondering if she would ever get back home in the real world. So...utterly...monotonous. Sure, at first days like these were rather eventful. That's why she had got this game in the first place. It was a great VRMMORPG...only when you don't actually die in real life: it would've been easier to take risks, quicker to get through the game, and have convenient saving checkpoints available. But noooooo, she had to constantly be here, everyday. What to do, what to do...there really didn't seem to be anything to do. Everyone was off, doing their own thing at the moment, but she had obsoletely no real objective today.

Hm. Maybe I can do a quest to kill some time. Which one though? I don't feel like fighting some big, bad monster right now. Ayumu ventured to every obscure part of her brain, trying to think of one that she actually wanted to do. As one she had discovered not too long ago popped into her mind, she sat up. Huh, you know, the <<Feeding the Enemy>> quest might not be too bad. That sounds rather fun, actually. It still has it's risks...the beast could attack me. Nonetheless, I think I'd like to do that.

Feeling somewhat energized now, she jumped up, and walked into the Town of Beginnings to find the quest prompt.

Edited by Ayumu

As she walked into town, she narrowed her eyes, thinking long and hard about where she might find this Gypsy Lady. Of course, it was at the very moment those thoughts crossed her mind, she bumped into someone. With a cry of surprise, Ayumu stepped back to see the person whom she absentmindedly plummeted into. If this person wasn't the elderly gypsy she was looking for, then that NPC didn't exist. The old lady was plagued with wrinkles, and wore a dark crimson shawl with a unique pattern on her head, along with large "jingley" earrings to complete the gypsy look.

"Hey, sorry about that," Ayumu gave her a corny smile, helping the NPC up, "I guess I need to stop being deep in thought when I walk. It takes a toll on my focus."

"Indeed, young lady," the NPC sighed, "but its alright, thank you for helping me to my feet. Now," she brushed her dress off, and looked Ayumu over, "unless those quick legs of yours were taking you somewhere very important, mind if I share a secret with you? If what you were thinking about was so serious that its causing you to bump into poor old ladies like me, then maybe its best that you occupy yourself with something else at the moment."

"Oh, not at all," Ayumu sighed with relief, "I have nothing left on my to-do agenda for today. I wouldn't mind something to actually keep me busy."

The Gypsy Lady smiled, and leading Ayumu out of the walkway, explained the quest,

"Now, on any floor...if you can manage to feed a beast...you may be able to tame it. By doing so, it should accompany you...and maybe, just maybe, will be willing to help you throughout this journey in this strange land. It can be a very risky task though, and one might get injured from attempting this feat. Is this something that you would be interested in doing?" after she said all of this, the quest prompt appeared in front of Ayumu.

With a smile and a nod, she lightly touched the button to accept. Then pausing to think for a moment, she mused on what it was exactly she wanted to tame. Ayumu had considered several things already from the time she learned that the quest existed, but she hadn't picked one yet.

A dragon? A bear? A phoenix? Hmm...a phoenix would be really cool. They've always been one of my favorite mythological creatures...might as well try for one of those then!

"So...I was wondering...where might I find a phoenix?" she asked the NPC, " that was the creature I was thinking of taming, but I don't really know all of the floors too well. I'm quess there's some volcanic or really hot floor where they live..."

"Indeed there is," the Gypsy nodded, "and that would be on floor nine. You would most likely find one of those creatures near Phoenix Town...hence the name. I would suggest buying Fire Worms to feed it. Usually they're quite expensive, but I think the vendor who sells them is having a sale today! They should be selling those in small pails for fifty Col in that town, but for that little only today. People eat them too - they're considered a delicacy, but they're extremely spicy!"

"Right..." she winced at the thought of people eating worms, "well, thanks for the pointers and the quest! I suppose I'll be off to floor nine then." waving goodbye to the NPC, Ayumu headed towards the direction of the teleportation gate.

"Good luck, brave hero!" the Gypsy called after her, also waving.

Edited by Ayumu

Back to the present...

She was off to Phoenix Town then. All she had to do was find a vendor selling the worms, and then find a phoenix? Easy, right? Right?

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a bust. That would suck. I'm not too keen on wasting my time...I suppose its worth trying though. Let's get this done!

With directions from various NPCs, she eventually reached Phoenix Town. It was a small, homey, cozy and warm sort of place. She felt more comfortable here than in the other village for some reason. Walking to the marketplace, Ayumu looked around for whoever was selling these Fire Worms. It didn't take her long...the vendor definitely stood out. Like the Gypsy Lady NPC had said, there were small little pails of slimy, red-and orange, glowing nasty things writhing inside. They looked like radioactive gummy worms filled with lava. Cringing a little, she approached the stand.

"Hello miss!" the vendor gave her a toothy grin, "my Fire Worms are only 50 Col today! They're on sale! Would you like a pail of them?" he explained as a small screen popped in front of Ayumu. It showed what the vendor was selling, gave the price, and had the option to select the quantity. She probably only needed one, and after making her selection, pressed "confirm."

- 50 Col

+ 1 food item!

"Thank you! Come again please!" the vendor gave a standard thanks. Ayumu only nodded as a reply, and then she was off to find this phoenix. Taking the pail of worms out of her inventory, she carried it in her hand, ready to take this challenge on. 

Edited by Ayumu

She had left the comfort of the town, entering the area where the monsters of this floor were. Ayumu walked rather quickly, as the atmosphere was rather hot and uncomfortable. It would be best to just be in and out of this place. Even so, she was careful to keep a sharp eye on all of her surroundings, both for a phoenix or for mat to collect. She hadn't realized it at first, but one could collect mat just about anywhere! In fact, as she was walking along, Ayumu noticed a small boulder with a large crack in it. It appeared as if it could break in half just with the smallest touch. Maybe there was an item inside. Curious, she made her way over to it, deciding to find out:

ID# 39146

LD: 14

As she had thought, only a light tug was needed to get it open. Nothing came out but a pool of lava, and she jumped back so she wouldn't get burnt. With a sigh, she continued on her way.

Ayumu made her way through the place carefully, trying not to attract the the un-needed attention of monsters she wasn't interested in taming. She didn't want to do any combat on this floor. With each step, her mind mused and played with her ever-developing plan to fight her way out of this game. Was taking these quests a useful pursuit? It was a fun way to level-up, and that's what she needed to do to get stronger. Then again, she could be training right now to get to the front lines, learning new skills and priming herself for combat. Oh well. That could wait a bit more...but not too much longer. While she processed these thoughts, her foot kicked a rather interesting looking rock. Picking it up, she hoped it might be some good mat...

ID# 39150

LD: 12

...but it wasn't, it was useless. She couldn't even put it in her inventory.

I might as well just stop trying. Ayumu mentally groaned. Besides, I should run into a phoenix soon. I've walked for a bit in this territory. Hmm...maybe they colonize and build nests in a certain area or something. Its possible.

Interestingly enough, she was spot on with this assumption. Not too long after wondering this, Ayumu spotted some kind of commotion ahead of her. Quickly approaching the area, she beheld several large nests belonging to the phoenixes that gathered there. The creatures were very tall, and would shrink to a reasonable pet-size if she did indeed tame one. Some of those nests had eggs in them, and of course a mother phoenix watching over them until they hatched. Ayumu didn't want to take and tame one of those...despite that the eggs held monsters, it still wouldn't be right to leave them without someone to care for them. It would be nice if she could find a young phoenix without a mate, so it wasn't attached to anyone. Carefully sneaking around the nest, she tried to find one that was like this...that is, if she could even tell just by looking at them.

Her heart pounded within her chest. If one of them noticed her, she was as good as dead. Even though she didn't have any specials skills for this, Ayumu did her best to be as quiet as possible. Sneaking past the nest and nursery part of the little colony, she spotted a lone phoenix grooming itself. She wasn't exactly skilled in phoenix knowledge, but this one seemed like a good candidate to approach and tame. The large, majestic fire bird was sitting in a convenient depression on a cliff side. It wasn't too far up, so it wouldn't be that bad of a climb. Finally getting past the nest, Ayumu got to work on advancing up the cliff to where the creature was. Her mind going back to when she and her friends would go to an indoor "rock-climbing" gym, she was extra careful about where she placed her feet, and what she grabbed onto.

Step here...and grab there....and put your foot there...and...ah!

She had mentally coached herself until she reached the correct height. Landing on what was like a ledge, she shimmied over to where the depression in the cliff side was. Carefully standing on a large protrusion jutting out from the cliff, she reached into the pail of nastiness, pulling out a couple of worms. Now, her attempts at quiet failed, for as she approached the bird, her foot kicked a small pebble. It clattered over to the phoenix's direction, startling it. It almost flew away, but Ayumu quickly tossed some fire worms in it's direction. Gently flapping it's wings while staying suspended in the air, it looked at the bugs, as if debating whether or not it wanted the snack. It seems hunger won, for it swooped back down, gobbling up the bugs before you could say "Phoenix from X-Men is awesome."

Edited by Ayumu

With a sigh of relief, she carefully approached the bird. After finishing the few that she had gave it, the phoenix looked at Ayumu with a suspicious...yet curious eye. It didn't fly away, even though it was still wary of her...hoping that it could get another worm or two.

"I guess the lady was right then," she smiled, "phoenixes do like these things after all." Ayumu took out a handful of worms, and placed them at the phoenix's feet. In a flash, it's beak was gathering them up in little pecks. The large, majestic creature straightened itself again, looking down at her with slight interest. It almost seemed amused that she had climbed all the way up to where it was, just to feed it some fire worms and try to tame it.

"So, are you actually going to be agreeable and let me tame you?" Ayumu crossed her arms and asked, as if the creature could understand her, "I sure hope so. You have no idea of all the trouble I went through just to come here. Why couldn't you just be on the first floor, where it isn't hot...or populated with dangerous volcanos? Climbing through every floor to get here...that was a lot of work."

The only "reply" it gave was shifting it's weight a little, and rustling it's wings a bit. She sighed, shaking her head a little, then reaching into her pail,

"If you want more," she held some worms up, "you've got to come and get them. I'm not making it easy on you anymore." Ayumu smirked. If she could get the fire bird to eat this stuff right out of her hand, then maybe she had a better chance at taming it.

It paused, not sure what to do. The bird started to move towards her, but stopped, debating on what to do. As it retreated back to where it was standing, the phoenix stared at her, really wanting the worms, but not wanting to approach her.

"Well, come on then!" she huffed, "I can do this all day long, but I'd rather not. I'm here to try and tame you, not hurt you dumbo. Just get your feathered butt over here, and stop being a wuss."

There was a long, awkward pause. Then, slowly, the phoenix began to make it's way over to her, eyeing her scrutinizingly. It carefully watched her every move, even each breath she took, just to be prepared in case she drew her weapon and attacked it. Eventually, it was standing right in front of her. Another awkward pause ensued...then moving painfully slow, it reached down to where her hand was. It carefully inspected the worms...then started scarfing them down, causing Ayumu to jolt with surpise.

Edited by Ayumu

Very quickly, it finished the worms. She sighed with relief, happy since that actually went pretty well. Instead of flying away or attacking her, the phoenix surprisingly stayed. In fact, it dove after the pail Ayumu was holding, which still had some worms in it. She cried out with surprise, almost falling off of the edge of the cliff. Ayumu grabbed onto some of the feathers of the large bird, and it didn't seem to mind. It devoured all of the remaining worms, and so she straightened herself, letting go of the phoenix.

ID# 39270

LD: 16 (eh...good enough I guess)

Suddenly, the phoenix was enveloped by a white light, and began to shrink. It reduced to the size of a large hawk, which was about two feet tall. Ayumu blinked in surprise...she didn't think she would actually be able to tame it. The bird still looked as regal and proud as ever, only now a lot smaller, and perhaps a little more cute too. She grinned, rather proud of herself. This was her first successful attempt at something in this game without aid from another player.

A small screen appeared in front of her, congratulating her taming of the phoenix. It had a small box for her to name the familar, and it showed the creature's gender: a female. Taking a moment to think of a name, she tapped her chin, considering several. Then, with a decided nod, typed in "Philomena."

"There," she grinned, "that should do. I guess we can leave now," Ayumu stretched out her arm, which Philomena eagerly flew up to, climbing up to the girl's shoulder, "I wonder if I have to go back to the Gypsy Lady to finalize the quest. Either way, we're headed back to the first floor." With that, she turned to leave...and was quickly reminded that she was standing in a depression on the cliff side. Ayumu sighed heavily, then gesturing downwards,

"Hey, Philomena: fly down there as I climb back to the ground. I shouldn't take too long." she instructed. Thankfully, the phoenix seemed to understand, and sailed downwards. Sinking her claws into the ground, she looked up at Ayumu, waiting for her to come down as well. Very carefully, the girl made her way back down, careful with her footing and climbing. Once she safely joined her familar at the bottom of the cliff side, she gave a sigh of relief. Philomena happily flew over to her, perching on her shoulder again.

"Off we go then!" Ayumu smiled, happily, and quietly sneaking past the nests, set her next destination for floor nine's teleportation gate.

Edited by Ayumu

An hour or so later...

"Phew! Finally! Back on floor one again," Ayumu sighed contentedly, "sooo much better than volcanos, lava, and being really ho-" she began, but was interrupted by a peck on the head. She looked at the phoenix on her shoulder, "hey: I'm not like you. I don't like that climate as much as you do." Ayumu huffed. Philomena responded by giving her another peck, making her shake her head with an amused grin. Continuing to walk, she entered the Town of Beginnings. Since she felt rather hungry, she decided to find a good place to sit down and eat some bread. Going to the plaza, she found an unoccupied bench to sit on. Ayumu took some bread out of her inventory, and before she could even take a bite, something rather familiar caught the corner of her eye.

"Well, I see you were successful then!" The Gypsy Lady exclaimed with a smile.

Edited by Ayumu

"Gah!" she jumped and cried out in surprise, almost falling off of the bench, "h-how...how did you come over here and sit down without me noticing?!?"

"I don't know, I was quiet I guess," the Gypsy shrugged, then reaching her hand out to the phoenix, "look at this lovely thing!" the NPC smiled as the familiar gladly hopped onto her hand, "where did you find her?"

"Near some phoenixes' nests on floor nine," Ayumu answered, "I had to climb halfway up a cliff-side to get to her. You were right - those worms worked really for taming! I had it done in no time.

"Ah! That's good," she pet the miniature fire bird, "I'm glad you were able to tame a creature," then, scratching her chin a little, "it doesn't seem like she will be any support to you though...you know, like help you in combat, or while searching for loot...stuff like that. Still, she'll probably make a good little companion!"

"Oh," she frowned a little with disappointment, then with shrug, "oh well. That doesn't matter anyways. I'm just happy that I successfully completed the quest without getting attacked, or trying several times just to tame a familiar. That would've been annoying."

"I agree," the NPC nodded, "you either got quite lucky, or you have a talent with this sort of thing," she chuckled, "probably just lucky."

While Ayumu was listening to the Gypsy Lady talk, Philomena had sneakily snatched the bread out of her hands, eating it before she could even notice. Once she looked down to actually start eating her lunch, she found with surprise that it was missing. It didn't take her long to figure out where it went, and looking at the phoenix, shook her head with a sigh.

"You're too much, you know that?" Ayumu laughed a little.

"Well, I suppose I should be on my way," the Gypsy stood, "I'm sure there's more players around who would like to tame a familiar as well. Good luck to you in your journeys here!" she smiled, and after her goodbyes, went on her way. Ayumu waved as she left, then taking another bread out of her inventory, actually got to eat lunch. Philomena pecked her on the head again,

"What?" she looked at the fire bird with confusion, "what is it now? Do you just want attention or something?" Ayumu asked. The phoenix gave her a look like "duh, what do you think, stupid?" Smirking, the girl allowed the familiar to perch on her hand, and bringing the phoenix around to her lap, scratched the thing's head.

"What a stinker. I didn't think I was going to have such a handful when I tamed you."