(PP-F2) Starting to Adapt (Zelrius) COMPLETE

We all change, when you think about it, we're all different people;

all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good,

you've gotta keep moving,

so long as you remember all the people that you used to be.

- Doctor Who

ID# 39733

BD: 5

Ayumu charged at the wolf, her sword glowing as she prepared a Sword Art. She almost struck the creature, just barely missing. With a frustrated huff, she stood back a little, shaking her head a little. Once she got more SP, she was definitely going to invest in some kind of accuracy skill.

MD: 5

It seemed that the circumstances were not only working against her, but the wolf she was up against as well. The creature pounced at her, close to biting her face off, but also missing. Perhaps today just wasn't the day for both player and re-spawnable monster. Ayumu sighed with relief, happy that she was fine for this turn.

Boredom leads to wandering, and wandering can lead to several things: either finding loot, or finding a battle. Either way, she didn't really care about what she encountered today...as long as it was something interesting. Tired of just chilling on the first floor, Ayumu had decided to explore the second. She could've gone to any floor, but in a case like the current, where she was in combat with a creature, something on only the second floor might be more manageable. Currently, even with her recent blunders, she was enjoying getting some training done. For just a moment, moments like this...she forgot her true focus of all of her work. Forgetting that she was trapped in a death game, she was simply enjoying playing SAO. Of course, her motives for levelling and training would march back into the center of her thoughts, scolding her for losing sight of her goals. But enough exposition.

"So, I guess we're both failing at the moment," she smirked, talking to the wolf as if it could understand her, "let's see who can land the first blow."

Ayumu: HP: 20/20, EN: 4/5

Wolf: HP: 8/8

Edited by Ayumu

Zelrius wandered about the Second floor, just as he had done so not too much earlier than this day. For the most part, the Floor was quiet, the limited amount of space in Safe Zones and the tiny villages that posed as the floor's biggest settlements often shunned players away. For that reason, it was pleasant, and often times quiet in the great expanses. The floor had been long cleared of most monsters, the event becoming of which when the Frontlines finally defeated Ill-fang and pushed upward, the flood of players destroying everything in their path. All except a few, it seems, He thought to himself nonchalantly as he squinted into the distance to find the silhouette of someone fighting a monster. As the boy approached, Zelrius realized that even though the pair of enemies had exchanged a few attacks, neither had taken damage. He took a glance at the player to check their gear and recognized it as someone he was a bit familiar with by now. Grinning he made his way over, the pendants around his neck and sheaths on each hip making a light jingling sound with each step hitting the forest lands ground. "Having fun there, Lady Ayumu?" He spoke up once in earshot, and then threw a glance at the Wolf. "Not going to interrupt this time, even if you get hit. Let's see how much better you've gotten since our last encounter." For a fleeting moment, Zelrius remembered the battle with the Dark elf, and the high percentage of health it had dealt to Ayumu in the single attack it made. In the back of his mind, Zelrius had hoped they wouldn't have a similar experience again.

She hadn't even noticed anyone approaching her until they spoke. Jumping a bit with surprise, she turned, then sighed with relief once she saw who it was.

"You scared me," Ayumu laughed a little, "I did not see you coming," then with a grin, "fun? I guess, why not? And thanks, I think I should be able to take this thing on my own. I've being doing my best to level up and start investing in some skills. All I had enough to do was put some of my SP on my weapon and armor, but still - its something." she shrugged. Looking back to the wolf, she decided to make another attempt at hitting the thing. 

ID: #39837

BD: 2 

With confidence, she prepared her next attack. Again, like her previous efforts, she missed. Cursing under her breath, she glumly waited for the wolf's attack in reponse, disappointed in her performance.

MD: 2

The creature didn't have any luck either. It was practically just what happened before replaying itself. Ayumu sighed a little, shaking her head,

"Well, this is probably my weirdest combat experience yet. Hopefully I won't be stuck here doing this the rest of the day." She couldn't help but snicker. Not that she minded not taking any damage, but still. What was the point of brawling with a creature if neither side got anywhere? In a way, it amusing, and almost humorous. 

"Scared you?" He grinned equipping his Hydra skull on his head and drawing his two blades, getting into attack stance. "What's so scary about lil ol Zel?" Teasingly he spoke, standing back up straight and unequipping the hydra skull into his Shared Inventory with Commandant Ssendom. Sheathing both the blades, Zelrius shrugged at her insistence to do the battle on her own. Sitting down on the forest floor up against a tree, The golden haired boy spoke up once more. "Well, If your 'weirdest combat experience' takes too long, I may just leave, so try to keep me entertained. Or," His grin going from friendly to mischievous in a moment "If you give me some incentive and ask nicely I can end the battle whenever you please, Lady Ayumu." He gave a short laugh, continuing just a bit. "Either that, or I get bored and wander off. Your choice really." Zelrius would have given a bow just to end the joke, but at the moment, he was sitting and had no way of doing so without a little bit of effort, which was the his forte. 

"Hmm, let me count the ways," she smirked a little as he did that, then rolling her eyes good humoredly, "oh, but of course. I'll do my best to be entertaining," Ayumu chuckled, "and I don't have to ask nicely if I don't feel like it." She teased. As she was about to take her next attack, she paused, frowning a little. She had completely forgot about the Anneal Blade she had just got from the <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>> quest with a friend. Sure, it wasn't an impressive blade, and definitely not what she had in mind for her personal weapon, it was better than the basic thing she had been using all this time. Switching her weapons, she decided to use the Uppercut Sword Art.

ID# 39951

BD: 10 (so, along with this +2...I think I also get a +1 damage from the standard weapon enhancement on the anneal blade, and +1 from rank 1 straight sword skill. Correct me I I'm wrong and I'll edit this. ^^)

Feeling energized, she finally landed a well-executed attack on the thing. Now that she had enough energy to do so, she was able to use a Sword Art to stun the beast. If it could've attacked, it had no way of doing so now. It was about time...even though she was still inexperienced and weak, Ayumu had been waiting for the moment when she actually felt accomplished. This was pretty good for now.

Ayumu: HP: 20/20, EN: 0/5

Wolf: HP: 2/8 (this might be wrong...ugh I'm such a noob lol)

Edited by Ayumu

"Count the ways? That I am scary? Enlighten me," He teased back to her comment. "Well, if you're being honest about being entertaining, that'll make this day go better than most others," The offhand comment was more to himself than to her, but he still attempted to make it humorous, failing horribly at it. Zelrius took a second and eyed her newly appearing blade, giving a slight chuckle. The Anneal blade, a weapon Zelrius never personally used, nor had he ever done that quest, but the features of which were distinguishable just by taking a glance at it. Most everyone had used the sword or weapon at one point in their lives. He grinned as the attack landed and the Wolf's HP dropped drastically in proportion to its maximum HP bar. "Good one, Keep doing that and I might just reward you with a treat later," The golden haired boy jested, but was actually impressed by the damage of that hit, as it seemed Zelrius had underestimated Ayumu a bit.

She shook her head with a small laugh, saying nothing. In fact, she wasn't sure how she was able to be so light-hearted and in a joking mood. It baffled her...and she almost felt like she was changing. Like this game was changing her. That wasn't a comforting thought, but she tried to push it out of her mind as she took her next swing...

ID# 40062

BD: 2 (-.-)

Unfortunately, unlike her previous efforts, she was unsuccessful for yet the third time. As she executed the attack, she felt that it might be good, but the wolf had obviously gotten over it's stun. Jumping out of the way, it completely evaded her swing. Ayumu frowned with irritation. This thing only had two health left...and she was still chasing it around? Seriously?

MD: 2

Despite being able to escape death, the wolf was weak. It only put about half of it's effort into it's responding attack, unlike the other times. Springing lazily at her, it wasn't too difficult for Ayumu to avoid getting hit. Sighing, she was glad that she hadn't taken any damage yet, but still quite annoyed by the fact that she hadn't taken this thing out yet. At only two health, it shouldn't be standing anymore.

Ayumu: HP: 20/20, EN: 0/5

Wolf: HP: 2/8

(Nice Rolls yo, 2gud4me)

He only gave a short laugh in response to her lack of words. "I am an optimist: If you don't object my offer, I am going to take it as a yes." And with that, he winced slightly as her move missed and the wolf lazily made a counter move, "Then again, maybe you don't deserve it given you're making horrible moves like that." He pointed a finger to her, followed by a click of his tongue. Zelrius simply laid against the tree, watching the little fight carry on. It was slow going, but the boy decided not to be rude about it, given Ayumu was generally more polite to him and didn't warrant any of his usual rudeness, and that she was a lower level. Though normally that is the reason I am so mean to people. Guess things have changed since then. With that thought, Zelrius began to recall one by one all his recent adventures with low levels, unsure of what to make of it all. 

(getting all the noscopes over here leik a pro XD)

"No kidding," Ayumu sighed a little, "that was horrible. I need to get a skill to improve my accuracy. Going back and forth endlessly like this gets tiring after a while. I guess I'll have to get used to that until I'm able to do a little upgrading." she shrugged. "I guess I need to get busier and work on getting that SP. It would seem I've been taking it a little easy lately. Time to step it up, eh?" she grinned, "I've just been...thinking a lot, I suppose," her smile morphed into a small frown, "it just makes me wonder...how exactly are we here? Integrated into the code, as if we're a natural, permanent feature of the game. I mean...is it really like Kayaba told us that it is?" Ayumu rambled a little, spacing out an not really realizing she was thinking aloud. Then, shaking herself out of that, "but more about that later. I need to finish this thing off."

"Hey, remember what I said at out last meeting," He grinned now too, remembering the moments following the battle with the Dark elf. "If you say please, I might just think of you next time I am at a Blacksmith or Tailor." He stood and walked over to the wolf, it's growling ceasless as the two talked. Zelrius jumped at it and then back, and of course, the wolf made an evasive maneuver, a slow one at that. He quirked an eyebrow at her philosophic question, answering it back with his own thoughts "Well, I am hoping not permanent. Otherwise all my damned time spent on the frontlines would go to waste. To give you a little background: While I knew coding in the real world, I never got much into how the VR system worked. Especially since this was the only game at the time. That being said, I imagine there are other games now. At a guess: Our characters keep the same height and size dimensions that we had set up for them, but the device detects our face and puts it on the character model. So like any other game: It is simply 3d modeling and coding, just with the entire Immersive experience. Though, again, all at a guess, I truly have no god damned clue."

"Oh, so you were into coding? That's pretty cool," she nodded, "one of my closest friends was into that too...and I guess, still is over there on the other side," the red head shrugged, then with resolve, "okay: I'm actually going to finish this thing now, I think." Ayumu smirked. Advancing towards the wolf, she charged a Sword Art...

ID# 40109

BD: 10 (overkill! ehyuhyuhyu)

Finally feeling a wave of energy and determination, she was able to hit the wolf with a strong attack like she had done not too long ago. With a pitiful howl, it's remaining health quickly drained out, and it exploded into the sparkly weird things that all killed things do in SAO. With a smirk of satisfaction, she put her sword back in inventory.

"There, that's finally over. It shouldn't have taken that long, but oh well," she sighed, "at least it didn't hit me. I'm kind of surprised that it didn't. Got lucky, I guess," turning to him, "so, since I was so busy with that thing, I guess I wasn't able to properly greet you. What's up? What's got you on the second floor today?"

"Good work, unscathed by the ravages of an 8 HP wolf. Congratulations indeed, Lady Ayumu." He turned to look about the forest, the eerie quietness causing his ears to get irritated in paranoia, then back to her giving a short laugh. "I suppose into isn't the correct word. I learned it because I thought it was interesting, but near the end there I lost that interest really fast. It was nice and all to know, but I rarely applied it and even rarer cared about it. It was simply too much work to me, to write a thousand line code, only to have a syntax error and not knowing where it is." He stretched lazily, letting out a slight breath as he popped his shoulders and back. "The usual thing that causes me to aimlessly wander anyhow. The infinite boredom that comes with being as powerful as I am." 

"Hey, small a feat as it is, its better than how I have been doing so far," she raised an eyebrow, "but thanks." After he finished explaining his short-lived interest in coding, "yeah, that's why I never really tried to do stuff like that myself. I don't think I'd have the patience to sit in front of a computer for hours on end, coding from scratch. All the numbers would just start to blue together into one big mass of type. C++ hurts my brain," Ayumu chuckled a little, then shaking her head again, "ah yes, being so powerful is incredibly boring and over-rated," she teased, "maybe you should think of starting over and just being a noob instead. It would keep you on your toes." the red head smirked. Then, with a more plain expression, "sorry for spacing out and rambling before about weird, 'philosophical' junk...if you can even call it that. I've just had a lot of time to think," her countenance becoming more serious, "its just his whole thing kind of reminds me of 'Soma' in a way: a kind old game I played a while ago. The whole gist of it focuses on this guy whose mind was literally copied, stored in a computer, then downloaded into a robot years into the future. In this particular future, I think humanity was dying or something, so they had started this project where they were creating copies of people's consciousness, and putting those copies into a computerized system called the 'ARK.' Only thing is, the original person in their human body would still live on until they died. You finish the game by getting the guy and his friend's consciousness onto the ARK," she paused, frowning a bit, "I guess what I'm trying to say...is what if we're not really connected to our actual selves in the real world. I know Kayaba proved that whoever removed the Nerve Gear would die...but maybe that's something he did manually. I mean, what if we've already woken up on the other side, walking about, living normal lives? And us in SAO are just...empty copies, fighting for nothing?" after another pause, she shook her head with a laugh, "and I'm rambling again, about dumb stuff. I'm overthinking all of this. Sorry."

Edited by Ayumu

Zelrius laughed at her response to the whole coding thing, as he agreed for the most part. "I personally didn't find the hours great, and was never a fan of C++. Though I've always been more of a numbers than a letters person, so I enjoyed that bit a little more." His grinfaded once more with her bringing up the next few subjects, the first of which was being powerful and all that jazz. He looked down at his weapons, and the words of the two Archangels echoed ominously in the back of the Blonde Commandant's mind. "I don't think I could do what you proposed. Not to mention, the last thing I need is to be infamous and weak. Sorry, no thanks." Another slight smile as she apologzied for the 'rambling'. "No need to apologize. I find 'rambling' and spacing out on deeper meaning and exploritive questions such as that to be so much more worthwhile than random small talk. I believe to add depth to a person, especially in a world so lacking." He had given a slight thought to her next philosphical questioning. It was true enough, the Golden haired boy had never thought about it quite like that. He supposed it was possible that they could just be downloaded subconscious and memories, and would never even know the difference. He gave a slight smile, trying to comfort her thought. "We still wouldn't be fighting for no purpose. If that were true enough, our purpose would be to beat all 100 Floors and end the game, that would be our only purpose. Plus, I enjoy it here, this place is truly paradise once you take away all the monsters from the equation. Think about it, beautiful Landscape, cheap housing and food, and tons of free time. And for me, Aincrad has given me the Adventure I've always dreamed of. What's truly not to love?"

"Hm...infamous and weak...yeah, I guess that wouldn't be a good combination," she shrugged with a small grin, "might as well just stay where you're at. And thanks, I'm glad someone doesn't mind my random musings. I don't really do small talk well...I try, but it usually turns into an actual conversation." As began to explain how he enjoyed it here in Aincrad, calling it "paradise" and all, Ayumu's smile wavered a little bit. He had a point, but she just couldn't see it all the same way...at least, not yet anyways. Her mind was still split: one half of it here, and the other half focusing on the real world and it's significance. She felt torn between the two, as she felt like she was starting to adapt to this place...and yet wasn't willing to call it home. Deciding not to voice those opinions, she nodded, since she did agree with the fact that there was some kind of purpose,

"I suppose you're right," Ayumu sighed a little, "besides, its not like we actually know what's going on for sure...maybe we'll never know. But one thing that's clear is the main goal: clearing the floors. That should be enough."

"Even if I wanted to be weaker or simply run away from all of this, I just can't. Sure I have the Col and strength to just disappear and never be seen again, but I would never feel right leaving the rest of Aincrad to fend for themselves." He gave a light chuckle shaking his head. "I know that sounds terribly arrogant and self righteous, but I truly do believe that I can't just leave you fellow players." He quickly dropped the subject, not wanting to share all this information with a player whom he barely knew. A low level player at that. He added in his own mind to his thoughts. Zelrius took slight note of her slightly changing expression, lifting his eyebrows in questioning and concern. Now he began to doubt himself Oops, did I say something wrong? Normally, the golden haired boy didn't care for other's feelings. But Ayumu had thus far proved herself to be an exception amongst other players, the only other people able to do so were the Commandants of the Azure Brigade and some other close friends.

"You're right: We might not know. With that in mind, you've probably noticed the ordinary demeanor from the general populace. Either they are far too giddy and playful, or are far too serious and dappening. It is my belief to just go about how you normally would in life; with the mix of monsters." 

"I guess one might take that as arrogant, yes, but I don't. I suppose normally I would, coming from someone else, but I know you don't really mean it that way. Hey, you're just being honest...you could leave, but you're not exactly a soulless person who would leave everyone he knows to possibly die. But let's not focus on that," she decided to change the subject patterned after his next statement, "ah, giddy and serious - the two extremes, both of which I am way too acquainted with the likes of," Ayumu laughed a little, "one of my friends back in the real world, Alexa, is absolutely crazy. I hate to think of what she would be like in here...gosh, I don't know how long she'd last. That's not important right now though, since thankfully she's not here."

As she was saying all of this, she couldn't help but recall a memory of her crazy friend on the other side. That blue-haired, hyper, talkative girl with ADHD had flipped her life around several times already like a pancake. Her mind played around with the memory, fondly reminiscing over past events that had shaped her. After a moment, Ayumu realized she had completely blanked out and retreated from reality there for a moment. Blinking,

"Woah...totally went blank there for a moment. Ehhh," she groaned a little, "that's not good...I can't have that happening during something serious, like a battle or the likes."

Edited by Ayumu

"You're right, Let us not focus on that, I am sorry for even bringing it up." As he said this he turned away from her, trying to find something to do. He was uncomfortable, his eyes averted and avoided hers, unable to look at her because he felt stupid even bringing the subject up. He let out a small breath as he welcomed the Subject change "Aye, everyone I've ran into is one of the two extreme's with few exceptions. There are a handful that are just like normal people, able to tell when to be or not to be those two moods, and have inbetweens. But those are few and far apart." He smiled as she began to reminsce about her real life friends. It was often people were comfortable enough talking about the outside world, especially not other people who were out there enjoying it right now. 

He stood there for a moment as she was silent, unsure of what entirely to do. Though he welcomed to silence, Zelrius didn't exactly know what the cause for it was. He took the moment to dust his tuxedo and cloak off, though neither of which had anything on them, it was just a habit of his, followed by the age old habit of fiddling with his bowtie despite it being perfectly fine.

"I am sure that in a fight, Your mind will be in the right place, so no worries there. Then again, I could be wrong, in which case, it was nice knowing you Lady Ayumu." Though it was a bad joke, he still said it in a joking manner. 

Despite that being a bad joke, she laughed anyways.

"And it was nice knowing you as well, but I'm going to try not to die...at least not that easily. Something cliché and heroic would be better, you know, like while saving a bunch of players or something - the usual standard thing," Ayumu shrugged a little, "but the best case scenario would not be dying at all. It would be ideal to one day get out of this alive, would it not?"

As she was saying this, a flutter of wings could be heard, and a phoenix familiar the size of a large hawk landed right on her head. It gave her skull a jabbing peck, then look very pleased with itself, as it enjoyed possibly being annoying. Not really phased by it, the red head gave the bird a soft, playful flick.

"So, you big fat coward, now you finally decide to come back? Once some creature comes out of nowhere, you've suddenly disappeared. What a whimp." she chuckled.

(sorry its so short...multitasking is tasking on my writing abilities. XD)

He was a bit shocked by her laughter at his joke, really expecting her to either look past it or yell at him for it a little. It actually startled him a little, causing a slight jump because of how unexpected it was. 

Zelrius took a moment to look upon the bird creature that had just landed on Ayumu and gave a small peck at her. It was a phoenix, and as such, Zelrius was reminded of the battle with the twinfire phoenix. That was over a year ago by now, and Zelrius had since gotten rid of the sword drop that had come from it. "Ah, a Phoenix familiar, Huh Lady Ayumu? Interesting, Commandant Ssendom has one as well, His is a nice dark purple color to match his scheme."

(Also short, too early in the morning and I didn't want to keep you waiting much longer xP )