[PP - F1] The Bottom of the Barrel [Complete]

The inn was exceptionally loud for one o'clock in the afternoon. Usually, a player could catch a bit of relief from the bustling first floor by ducking into one of the bars located off the main drag. The Black Sheep was Lessa's particular favorite. Though the inn was slightly run-down, and not nearly as flashy as some other options, it was also much less populated. The only time that Lessa ever ventured to the first floor was to check up on those she had been training with, and after a morning of teaching mouthy, immature teenagers how to swing a sword, she needed the quiet. And the alcohol.

But that day, for a reason she could not quite understand, her safe haven was overrun with the same individuals that she was trying to escape. The blonde rest her elbows on the bar, clamping her hands over her ears, and closing her eyes; the more completely she could block them out, the better. But the NPC behind the counter would not allow her to do so.

"Do you need anything else?" the middle-aged woman asked, deep dimples mingling with the age-lines that cross-crossed her weathered face.

Unable to bring herself to ignore anyone, even an NPC, Lessa peaked up at her through her fingers. "No," she sighed. "I'm alright. Thank you."

Satisfied with the woman's answer, the barmaid bustled away, leaving the weary player in her wake.

Edited by Lessa

Sinnon had just finished up material hunting with Ebony and knew that he had needed to rest. Fighting those boars took a lot more out of him than he would have expected considering the fact that he was leveling up quite frequently lately. As he had been walking around, he had decided that it was best to get a drink at a nearby inn. He walks into the inn with his general charm about him and makes his way over to the counter. "Do you happen to have any water ma'am?" The NPC woman had said yes and brought him a single glass of water. "Thank you ma'am." After getting his glass, he turned around and inspected the area for a seat to sit down, yet to no avail. What he had found though had been a woman with long blonde hair looking rather flustered. He walks on over to her and places a hand on her shoulder, hoping that she was alright. "Is everything okay ma'am? You seem a bit upset?"

Lessa's muscles rippled beneath his touch, a strangled gurgle of surprise escaping her chapped lips. She immediately pressed herself closer to the bar, moving away from the sensation of his hand on her shoulder. Don't sneak up on me like that, she nearly shouted, but she bit her lower lip hard to keep from putting voice to her thoughts. She had always hated being frightened that way, and her time in Aincrad had only made that anxiety worse. But his question showed good-intentions, and she recognized that it would be rude to scold him for such a kind gesture.

"Sorry," she began quickly. "I'm a bit jumpy these days." Then, "and I'm alright, thanks. Just tired. Or more worn out, I guess. Or something." Gracelessly, she rubbed at her face with the palms of her hands, trying to bring some life back to her cheeks. Once she was finished, she caught her first good look at the other player. He was tall, much taller than she was, and maybe about the same age. His gear indicated a lower level, but he carried himself with an odd confidence that did not seem to match up. Or maybe he is one of those cocky level ones that believe they're too good to fight, she thought bitterly. She had had enough experience with players like that to know all about them.

He had removed his hand from her shoulder and moved to the side. "Would you mind if I sit with you?" Depending on her answer, he would either sit down or stay standing. "I believe that you need some time to unwind Miss … I am sorry. May I ask you for your name? My name is Sinnon." As he had finished saying what he had to say, he had decided to take a drink of his water, bringing it down to about a quarter of the way left. 

She leveled her blue gaze upon him, studying his face for a moment, attempting to read into his intentions. When she could find no immediate threat, she gave a small nod. "Sure, you can sit," she answered, cupping her hands around her tall tankard of beer. "I don't mind." The young woman stared at the foam that clung to the inside of her glass. With a gentle flick of her wrist, she sloshed the amber liquid up and over the tiny bubbles. Even in her place of solace, she could not find peace. But the young man had been nothing but polite, and she supposed that she owed him the same curtesy.

When she continued, she pivoted on the bar stool to face him. "Nice to meet you, Sinnon. My name is Lessa."

Sinnon had smiled as he had heard her name. "Thats is quite the beautiful name is Lessa. How did you come up with it?" After he had asked this, he had taken a swig of his water before placing the mug down onto the table. "Also, before you answer Miss Lessa, I would just like to let you know that if this place is to much for you right now, we could always relocate to another area. I have no corral with us relocating to a place that will put you at ease."

"I didn't come up with it," she answered him simply. Her smile wilted slowly, her expression returning to one of tired apathy. "My brothers picked it out for me. They called me Lessa since I was little, and it just sort of stuck. I played video games with them, so it made sense to use their nickname for my username." Lifting her right hand to her head, she raked her fingers through her thick mane. "But thank you for the compliment. I like the name a lot." Despite her words, her smile did not return. "Anyway, no, I'm alright here for now." His invitation to leave had come suddenly, and without knowing him better, she was unsure of his intentions. For all she knew, he might whisk her away to a predetermined spot, and right into a player killing guild's ambush. "But thank you."

"That is fine Miss Lessa. I can understand not wanting to leave with a stranger. You never really know who a person is until you truly get to know them." His smile had finally  returned as he had waved over to the waitress NPC and asked for another glass of water. "So in order to justify us not knowing one another, I suggest that we take the time to get to know one another." He then extends his hand towards Lessa so that they could shake hands. "My name is Sinnon and I am a level seven tank who plans on taking on every boss in Aincrad so that I can help all the others escape from here. However, I don't wish to leave the game myself. Not unless I can bring my Ebony with me."

Even when you think you know a person, you may not actually know them. Lessa immediately scolded herself for resorting to such self-pity. It had to have been the ale talking. Regardless, she took a deep draw from the tankard as Sinnon declared his intentions. When she was through, she let it slam back to the hard wooden surface.

Those words. How many times had she heard those words? How many times had those same words gotten young, passionate, stupid players killed. Her lips curled into a deep frown, fingernails tapping sharply against the cup's glass surface. What could she say to him? Could she change his mind? Was it her place to try?

"Sinnon," she began slowly, choosing her words with the utmost care, "I hope that you let your feelings for Ebony influence the choices you make. She would be devastated if something happened to you."

Hearing this had led to Sinnon diverting his eyes elsewhere. He knew in his heart that he had wanted to protect Ebony and that he wasnt going to give up on her no matter what, but would it be enough? Would it be enough to fill the massive urge that he had felt in his heart to just allow himself to die? At this point, he hadn't been sure anymore. What he had been sure of though was that he was going to protect Ebony with everything he has. Even if it means sacrificing his life for her to go on.

His silence did not reassure her. Lessa's frown grew deeper. Now, her fingers no longer drummed along the edge of the glass. Now, they gripped the tankard so tightly that the ridges dug into her flesh. When her words finally came, they were emotionless. "If you die, what will she have? Who will protect her?" Her tone darkened. "Furthermore, you would have to be heartless to leave her alone in a hell like this. She deserves so much better than that."

Blue eyes slipped behind closed eyelids as she struggled to compose herself. But she was too far gone. "So don't be stupid, alright? Take your time. Train. Improve yourself. Do not take risk your life, or hers, by jumping into anything that you're not ready for."

Sinnon had let out a sigh as he placed his head down onto the table. She was right. Of course she was right. With a muffled voice he says, "You are right Miss Lessa. I apologize for my ignorance and idiocy… Would you be willing to help me get stronger? I will do anything that it requires, but I must be able to protect her. She is all I have and … And I have fallen in love with her. I don't want anything to happen to her and am willing to give you anything that you ask for in order for you to train me .."

Her response was a raised hand, a gesture meant to silence the man. "No," she replied firmly, though not altogether unkindly. "You don't have to give me anything." Lessa had spent nearly a year working with lower-level players, but it had never been for personal gain; to suggest as much would be an insult to her character. "I just want to make sure that you can handle yourself." Finally, her eyes opened once more. When she rounded on the the taller player, her gaze was tired. "I'm not going to lie to you, we need all the help we can get. I believe in what the front-liners are doing, but I also know that things are just going to get worse up there. If you want to help clear floors, I won't stop you. But I'm going to make sure that you're ready first. You're no good to anyone if you're dead. Do you understand?"

Sinnon had shook his head up and down several times with his eyes wide and his face serious. "Yes ma'am. I apologize if I had insulted you by speaking of payment." After he had said this, he had finished his second mug of water within a few seconds, a few streaks of water sliding down his mouth as he had drank. He then wiped his mouth clear of the water and stood tall, his body practically looming over Lessa. "I won't let you down. I understand that you are not feeling well as of right now, but I will find a way to make you happy Miss Lessa. You have inspired me to not give up and to take on the front lines with all my might so I just want to thank you and inform you on the fact that I believe you will be a truly amazing teacher." He had then taken a deep bow, his body almost touching the table, before he had stood up straight once more. "I give you my word."

How quickly the young player had changed his tune. She studied him for a moment, blonde brows raised, blue eyes searching him for some clue as to his thoughts. But he merely returned her gaze, his expression one of genuine determination. Had her words inspired him as much as he claimed? If she had to guess, she would say yes, they did. But she was not looking to inspire people. She was looking to keep people alive.

Finally, Lessa gave a small nod. "Alright," she stated, declining to comment on the low bow that he gave her. A sudden spike in the inn's activity increased the volume, and the blonde found herself leaning closer to him before speaking again. "Start by telling me what kind of experience you have. Have you completed any quests? Do you have any special equipment? I need to figure out where you're at."

Sinnon had smiled as he had heard Lessa's question. "Why yes Miss Lessa, I have indeed completed a couple of quests. So far, I have completed the secret medicine of the forest quest, avalanche and feeding the enemy. Of course I had merely had help with those quests or had been helping others, but I have completed them nonetheless. Also, when it comes to special equipment, I don't really have much right now except for a shield that is being commissioned currently that had +3 mitigation. It works nicely with my heavy armor and shield skills, allowing me to become more proficient at being a tank."

The blonde nodded along slowly as Sinnon listed his experience. She was pleased to hear that he already had a few quests under his belt. Many of the players that Lessa worked with simply wanted all of the answers without working for them. They wanted to be stronger without putting in the effort. At least this young man had begun putting in the time.

"Good," she murmured. "That's definitely a start. Once we get you some better gear, I think you'll be a long way toward protecting your girlfriend." In one fluid swig, Lessa downed the final drops of her ale. A second passed as she set the glass down, and savored the flavor of the alcoholic drink. Then she shoved her chair back from the bar. "But it is important that you work on your sword arts too. They're a fairly new addition to the game, and as a result, even the most talented players have a lot of additional training ahead of them. Have you been working on those?"

Hearing Lessa's comment on the sword arts had caused Sinnon to look down to the ground in shame. "No ma'am. I have no current training in sword arts since I had figured that it would be best to work on my defense skills first. I have heavy armor and shield skills only right now, however I shall be investing in sword arts soon. I know that I currently do so little damage, however that will change as I progress in the ways of my training."

"I'm sure that it will," came her answer. There were no traces of sarcasm in her tone; her words were genuine, as was her faith in the young man. "I do hope that some of what I've told you will stick with you. The front lines could use your spirit, but only when you're ready for that kind of intensity. Keep training, Sinnon. Do it for yourself, to stay alive. Or for Ebony, if that makes more sense." With a soft groan, she climbed to her feet, pausing to readjust her gear before turning back to her companion. "You have my name now. Please don't hesitate to message me if you need help with anything." Then, with a final nod, the blonde concluded with, "good luck. Be safe." In only a few seconds, and as many long strides, the woman was first at, and then through the inn door, leaving the darkness of the bar for the blinding light of the outside.

[Lessa leaves thread.]

Sinnon had smiled as he had heard the girls final words to him. He then leaned back in his bar stool and chugged down the last bit of his drink before placing it back onto the table with a loud thud. This sure has been an interesting day … I can't wait to have another just like it. I might even call upon her sometime so that she can help me train sometime. It could be a lot more fun than anticipated." With this, he had collapsed onto the table, exhausted from the long day he has had.