[PP-F1] A Shattered Mirror (Pinball, Illia)

Night time had finally bestowed itself upon the world of Aincrad, and along with it came the moon and the great multitude of stars that dominated the dark sky, shining its hopeful rays upon the world that is much less hopeful. Progress on the front lines have been slowing down, and nothing was being done to rush the pace at which floors are being cleared. However, Kasier had no right to judge what the front liners are doing; no matter how confident she acted, she feared the possibility of death. She didn't fear whatever would come after it, as that would surely be heaven, but she feared the effect on a certain individual on this earth if she was to die in this game. She lived not for herself, but for another person, and to her, that is also the best way to live in this world. A world that is simply a reflection of the real world, yet it is not real, not even close to it. It's a broken reflection as one would say... a broken mirror.

These thoughts constantly taunted her mind as she found herself becoming more quiet after a particularly dramatic guild meeting that involved tears and physical attacks. Not only was this a broken recreation of the real world, but the players within it have been broken, and will continue to break as time continues. Kasier sighed, opening the door to her isolated house and walking out into the darkness that seemed so inviting. Itzal was out again, probably still leveling as high as he can to get to a level that he can obtain revenge on someone who killed his best friend. It was good to have a goal, but Kasier feared that he would consume himself with revenge. It didn't help that she was seeing him less and less after the guild meeting. Putting her hands in her pocket, Kasier strolled out to the active part of the town, where certain shops were being closed yet some remained for any players desiring a midnight snack. Bubble tea... Kasier read, walking into a shop and looking at the menu, looking around to see several players already seated and enjoying themselves. 

@Illia @Pinball

Aincrad was at it's most beautiful in the hours before twilight, at least in Illia's own eyes, though she always loved the darkness of the starry sky's back home.  Illia found the cricket's chirp, and the howl's of the wolves that so desperately sought the demise of newbies to be reassuring. Life wasn't meant to be preserved in pristine conditions that offered perfect safety and solitude that is what this town of beginning was for so many. Those lives empty blank slates now as they simply awaited release or death through termination of this process. Eventually funds in the real world would deplete, how long could they keep both body and minds nourished in the real world before losing hope. Illia knew she had lost hope when she was first trapped, her friend offered this as a means of escape for a few hours they didn't know that it would end up as a prison. Illia laughed at the malicious irony of this situation the one who wanted to play this game was trapped now fretting the idea of their own freedom through the imprisonment of their best friend. Who could tell, maybe she was working with other medical practitioners who could change the neurological link without the termination of life. That didn't matter, life was life and this realm was where it was to be lived out. Illia had already equipped herself with the best starting gear she could afford, the only option now was to grow stronger and prove those who thought she was weak and frightened wrong.

An enraged fist would smash in against the ground, Illia was laying against the cobblestone floor of the town as she kept a watchful gaze upon that night sky. The moon's glow reflecting in her lifeless eyes. The gentle closing of a door caused her to sit up, the door of a tavern just closing that could offer food and beverages. Illia cast her eyes up toward the sky one last time before nodding.

"I might as well get myself something to eat."

One swift action would take her from her back to her feet, her arms stretching out behind her back and then resting just against her rear as she strolled forward. Upon arrival of the door she would reach forward and open to a lively group who were dining. Just before her was a blonde who seemed to have similar plans for the ending of a gorgeous night, her own body now attempting to slip past as she walked toward a table that still had a few opening.

@Kasier @Pinball

Pinball has a love/hate relationship with the night. He loves the stars, the cool air, the nocturnal creatures. The poetic beauty of it all never ceases to mesmerise him. Back in the real world, he would stay up all night, and sleep all day. At heart, he's a nocturnal creature himself. But with all good things, there comes a catch. There's something about the night that accentuates emptiness. Alone. Alone with your thoughts. Pinball is not the happiest of people, to be sure. But with night-time comes loneliness, with night comes regret, with night comes melancholy. 

Pinball walked down the empty street, his eyes locked on the stars above him. He didn't feel, he didn't think. When darkness hits the world, Pinball's moodiness increases tenfold. He ends up another one of the oddballs, wandering around the cities at night. Alone, with an emptiness that can't be filled. Voices and laughter coming from a shop grabbed his attention, and Pinball looked over to the shop with a blank expression. There was a red-haired girl entering, and from the opened door he could see several players enjoying themselves at their own seperate tables. You're a real attention seeker, he told himself, walking up to the shop's door. What do you expect to happen here? He walked inside, quickly taking note of an empty table in the corner of the shop.  Stop trying to ruin other people's nights with your... moodiness. He passed a blonde haired woman, and the red-haired player who was now walking over to her own table. He arrived at the table, and took the seat closest to the wall. I'll just eat something, and leave, he decided, letting his head lean onto the wall behind him. He stared at the ceiling, without any current inclination to actually order anything. 

@Kasier @Illia

Edited by Pinball

Kasier took a glance behind her to see a red-haired woman walking into the shop. She didn't look significant - just the generic skinny girl who looked like she had yet to enter combat due to her outward appearance. It was simply a first impression, but a first impression is correct most of the time.

She nodded to a nearby server before taking a menu and sitting herself down in an isolated area. The group of players that seemed to enjoy themselves were way too loud for her likings. Instead, she would sit near a window facing the grand clock tower placed in the center of the beginning town, so she could enjoy the view while enjoying the quick snack that she had decided to treat herself. Looking back, she motioned for a waitress, already knowing what she wanted to order: a cup of warm, green tea. As she glanced back, she noticed that yet another male had entered the shop by himself, and sat down near the windows in a corner by the wall. He looked as if there was something on his mind, and he put on a mask of an emotion filled with nothingness. Kasier sighed, checking the time as she waited for her tea to arrive. It shouldn't take that long, considering it was just a cup of tea. However, she decided that she would go have a conversation with the man who seemed quite isolated from the lively players in the center of the tavern.

Kasier stood up and walked over to the black-haired man before sitting down across from him, unsure of what to say. She'd never really been the active type... In fact, Kasier had found herself being more and more serious and mature as time went on. She had come a long way since the beginning of this game, and the types of things that she had been involved with were not things that could be taken lightly. Death of comrades... Depression... they were serious topics, and had affected Kasier greatly. "Good night to be out." Kasier exclaimed, looking at him, keeping the same emotionless face that he kept on his face. "My name is Kasier, of the Celestial Ascendants." She mustered out, smiling a bit finally, before she heard a loud shattering of glass. She turned her head to find a puddle of warm liquid spread out across the surface of the wooden tavern ground and a very shocked NPC waitress looking stunned at the mistake that had been caused by her. The loudness of the sound was enough to quiet the entire tavern, and some players actually stood up to leave as their conversational rhythm had been cut out entirely by the sound of the glass. The waitress, finally regaining conscious, immediately began to apologize to Kasier as Kasier insisted that it was all good. Soon, the woman walked back to the kitchen to fetch Kasier a new cup of tea.

"A cup broken just like that. Kind of reminds of me of life. Don't you think so?" 

@Illia @Pinball

Illia glanced over, she noted the woman who had entered now moved toward the window seat and after was a man who stepped through her eyes staring rather lazily away now as she saw the waiter. A slight raise of her hand flagged him down as she asked for her own menu. Studiously, Illia began to glance over the world now opening her eyes at the options. There were plenty of delicious meals that gave her ideas, she still hadn't opened up her own restaurant since her mission. A hand reached out gently guiding her eyes down the menu as it came to a halt upon a seafood dish. Lobster with fries and a Caesar salad. She then began to speak up.

"Excuse me, I would like to have the Lobster. For the dressing I would like something that is Italian. After all, I must try new things while I'm still here."

The shattering of a dish being dropped upon the ground caused a slight jump in her seat, a hand rested upon her rapier as she made note. A shallow sigh escaping her lips, as she was still a bit jumpy with her new start. She planned on escaping the safety of town and yet here she was from a simple glass being dropped. It did remind her though as the waiter prepared to walk away.

"May I have a lemonade as well to drink."

@Pinball@Kasier

"Good night to be out." Pinball lowered his gaze, to see a woman sitting in front of him. He shook his head. Damn it. This is what you wanted, right? The woman introduced herself as Kasier, of the Celestial Ascendants. He was going to say something then, but instead he returned his gaze to the ceiling. "Give me a moment," he mumbled. The silence that followed was soon interrupted by the sound of breaking glass. A rather stunned waitress frantically apologized to the woman sitting in front of him, and then finally returned to the kitchen. He noticed a few people leave, while others returned to their conversations. Weird how that works, he thought absently. "A cup broken just like that. Kind of reminds of me of life. Don't you think so?" Pinball couldn't help but chuckle at this, and he buried his face in his hands. "Yeah," he replied. "That's pretty damn accurate." He didn't want to ruin the woman's night. Back in the real world, his moodiness seemed to be infectious. He couldn't help but feel like a drag on  anyone that had tried talking to him, which usually made him feel worse. At the risk of sounding rude, the boy asked, "Why... why are you here? I'm sure you have better things to do, being in some big important guild or whatever. Even if it is night time." He cast a lazy glance at the people that remained in the tavern, and his eyes rested on a woman with a shock of red hair. Dyed? 

Kasier shrugged, "I just haven't been doing much lately. Guild activity is quite low. Besides, I'm not as busy as the other players out there. I'm basically finished with everything that I need to finish. At this point, I'm just trying to have fun in this game... Something that I found to be very difficult due to the circumstances." Kasier explained. There really isn't much to do with her guild. Despite the fact that she was a paladin, she really didn't have that many things to do. In fact, she's not even sure who exactly is in her guild. It's just that her guild has recently fallen short of significant activities due to the latest being quite an emotional guild meeting. She still remembers that, and it was only natural that the guild would remain like this until everyone can forgive each other and everyone can forget the past. If there wasn't nearly as much drama in this game, then the players would be way higher in floors than they are now. However, it is also the drama that makes this game so interesting. Without it, it would just be another boring game without human interaction. 

"Anyways, why are you here? Are you perhaps in a guild as well?" She asked. She had never really wondered about other guilds. At the moment, she has knowledge of three different guilds: Celestial Ascendants, Knight of Blood Oath, and Black Coffin. Black Coffin was a myth, technically, since she had only heard about them from other players, never experiencing their powers herself. There were surely other guilds though, perhaps even some newer ones will be working hard to get themselves on the front lines. If so, she might as well get associated with potential front line members. "I've never seen you before. Have you ever been to the front lines?" Kasier asked, watching as the waitress once again walked out with the tea that she had ordered.

@Illia @Pinball

Illia's downcast gaze focused in upon her fingers, they began to tap gently dancing across the wood of the furniture till the waitress came back first offering the glass that the blonde had ordered. The other one appearing to be a lemonade, as she sighed she began to make her way over it was seemed only natural to make her job easier. Illia gently strolled up catching the waitress's hand as she turned about hoping to prevent another incident. As she shifted now holding her own glass which she steadied upon the serving plate.

"I will just take that, also if you want just bring my meal over here that way you don't have to go stumbling back and forth. It ought to make your life a whole lot simpler since you only have to serve one fewer tables."

As she stepped over to the empty seat she would give Pinball a rather simple glance, she didn't much care about the way his eyes were lingering upon her head. Her red hair did stand out and she often felt it was the only thing they took note of. A sigh and hit of glass upon wood would try and wake him up.

"Did your mother ever tell you it's not polite to stair at girls, especially in a game like this. It's a pleasure to meet you both my name is Illia and I suppose I will enjoy the solemn company of you two. I must admit you two both are a site for sore eyes if I have ever seen them. Drink and have a party if you are that gloomy."

@Pinball@Kasier

• 2 weeks later...

Pinball listened silently as Kasier explained that guild activity was low. There was nothing on her To-Do List, apparently. Pinball agreed that fun was difficult to come by in the game. The only times he's had "fun" was when he went out questing with good company, and getting pumped up in the rush of things. But his happiness didn't come easily, and when it did, it wasn't long before it left Pinball feeling devoid of energy. It was either the moment he left the group he was in, or if he spent to long with others. They all ended up leaving him feeling drained. Empty. The woman then asked if he himself was in a guild. In fact, he had joined one not too long ago. "Yeah," he rasped, then, clearing his throat, added, "The Guardians of a New Dawn. Everyone is pretty low-leveled... But they're good people." He found himself thinking back on the meetings he's tried establishing with members of the guild. Stryder, one of the guild leaders, in particular. "The leader... Stryder. He's a strange one. Always so happy, so eager to help others. Your run-of-the-mill good samaritan. Not too bright when it comes to problem solving and such, but he makes up for it. He's super protective of the guild, even though he's only level twenty-something himself." He shrugged. "It's weird." She didn't want to hear him talk about Stryder. She had asked a simple question, not for his life story. 

Pinball jumped at the sound of a new person's voice. His head whipped around, and his eyes met those of the red haired girl that had stuck out earlier. Certainly not afraid of confrontation, Pinball noted. With a sheepish smile, Pinball muttered in response, "Sorry." His face bright red, he scooted as close as he could to the wall, so as to make room for the girl who seemed to be intent on joining the two. Pinball looked as if he was about to say something, but stopped himself. Kasier'll probably talk to her, I think. Then I can find an excuse to leave. 

((OOC: OHMYGOD I DIDNT FOLLOW THIS, IMSOSORRY. I was wondering what was taking Illia so long, so I came to check, and... It was me. So. So. Sorry.))

@Kasier @Illia

Edited by Pinball

(Welp, I just realized I forgot to post here... Uh. My bad?)

The Guardian of the New Dawn. Kasier repeated in her mind. No, it wasn't familiar. She had never heard of the guild before, but it seemed like it was started with good intentions according to the way that the man had described it. Although, it seemed like the remainder of the guild was unlike him. He seemed uninspired for some strange reason, as if he didn't want to do anything and didn't want to talk to anyone. She noticed several small actions such as looking at the ceiling or rubbing his eyes that was a sign of such. Nevertheless, Kasier continued to carry the conversation. Scooting away from the table, she watched as the waitress who had came out a few seconds ago place the tea that she had ordered in front of her. Kasier nodded to her, signalling that she may retreat before cupping her hands around the elegant, white cup to absorb the heat passing from the tea through the glass. "Stryder is a name that I have heard before. He's a good man, kind of reminds me of Itzal, if I don't say so myself." Kasier paused, shaking the cup a bit and taking a slow sip to ensure that she does not get burned from consuming it too fast.

It was then that she suddenly realized that there was nothing left for her to say. It was the same old awkwardness that she often had when talking to other people - not knowing what to say and how to say things. During her time in SAO, she had experienced a lot of changes, and while she had definitely improved on her communication skills, she was definitely not the best. Luckily for her, she heard another unfamiliar voice introducing herself. Kasier looked up at about the same time as the man and immediately noticed quite the fire-like hair color. It was radiant, and almost impossible to miss. 

"I'm Kasier." Kasier looked at the man, realizing that he had yet to reveal his name to her. Safe. It's a good choice, actually. Not to give away one's name in a death game. "Site for sore eyes huh? Well, the front lines really has't been progressing recently. It's sure to cause a bit of stress on everyone. At the rate that we're going, this game will never be beat." Kasier exclaimed and paused, "So, uh, what's up with you recently?" She finished with her go-to line if she didn't have anything else to say, and motioned for Illia to have a seat. 

@Illia @Pinball

Edited by Kasier