[F01 - PP] Strange Relations <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>

Spoiler

Nepent: HP 7 Dmg 3
ID# 128037 | BD: 6
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 19/20 (+1-1)
Nepent: HP 7/7 (-7)

Yukiro walked over to NIGHT, offering a hand to help her up. 
"Are you going to be okay during this?" he asked, teetering between concerned and humored, "I can take over if you want." 
As he offered another Nepent began to move into their clearing. Just how many of these were there? 
Once Night was steady on her feet Yukiro drew his sword in one hand and walked over to the Nepent. 
"You know me well enough to know I don't want to see you suffer. And besides--" 
As he spoke he casually flicked his sword, slicing through the Nepent's body with ease.
"-- I was planning on doing this alone."
The Nepent shattered as Yukiro turned back toward NIGHT, resting his sword on his shoulder and raising a hand apologetically. 
"I don't mean to be rude in saying that. But I really had expected to do this alone." He looked around. No more Nepents were coming out yet, so he walked back over to NIGHT. 

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the new Nepent cut down, Yukiro rested his sword on his shoulder, raising a hand. "I don't mean to be rude in saying that. But I really had expected to do this alone."

NIGHT began brushing off the additional dirt from her clothes, grimacing. "I... I'll try to keep it together," she promised. "And I mean, maybe you'd plan on doing it alone, and you still could, I guess..."

"But," she paused, looking back at Yukiro while shaking mud off her greaves. "You did want to join Lonzo and the others, right? Even if you could do it yourself, you probably wanted some company, or to help other players like them."

NIGHT ruffled her hair a little, embarrassed, with a hand on her hip. "So I hope I'm not intruding. I mean, I wanted to join them as well, we're in the same boat."

She turned around, looking out for any other Nepents that may appear on her side of the area, shuddering at the thought of them.

@Yukiro

Spoiler

ID# 128040 | BD: 10 (forgot link on roll, sorry)
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 19/20 (+1-1)
Nepent: HP 0/7 (-9)

"You did want to join Lonzo and the others, right? Even if you could do it yourself, you probably wanted some company, or to help other players like them," NIGHT pointed out, running a hand through her hair and placing the other on her hip. "So I hope I'm not intruding. I mean, I wanted to join them as well, we're in the same boat." 
That hit Yukiro surprisingly hard. She'd noticed something about him that he hadn't noted about himself. But he had to point out something else first.
"Night. You are never intruding. If I'm being a terrible person, that has nothing to do with not wanting you around," he nearly blurted, "You are always welcome to join me. Just punch me if I'm acting up, okay?"
As he spoke, he noticed a Nepent that had managed to get pretty close to NIGHT. He took a step towards it and slashed it in two, letting it disperse into fragments. 
"Feel free to intrude. It makes me feel wanted."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"I--"

With one swipe, Yukiro cut down the last Nepent, causing its form to disperse as light shards. "Feel free to intrude," he stated, "It makes me feel wanted."

"-- Yeah -- Okay," NIGHT concluded, turning around to check for any other signs of danger. Nothing there. Stretching, and finally giving Yukiro a smile, she added, "I'll do just that then, if you'll let me."

NIGHT began to continue her trek down the road they were on, beckoning Yukiro to follow (though she was careful about trying to walk backwards again). On their journey, she leaned forward occasionally, trying to look past the trees, seeing if she could catch a glimpse of red behind them.

"These things can walk, can't they?" NIGHT frowned, eventually stopping for a quick second. "What're the odds that one of them would just stroll up towards us?"

Just then, one strolled over -- ivory white, frolicking about with the oversized red blossom on its head.

"Oh," NIGHT mentioned, pointing out the creature. With the way its roots were moving, it really didn't help NIGHT that she was just as tall as the Nepent. "It's creepier than the others..."

Crouching down for a better aim, she got into a stance. Guided by the system, she leaped, slicing through the side of the tiny wiggling creature. When she landed, she'd expected it to have vanished.

But it didn't, and danced intimidatingly instead.

ID: 128059 | BD: 9 (7, +2)
<<Straight>> on Nepent.
4 * 2 = 8 DMG | 8 - 5 = 3 DMG

Nepent | HP: 12/15 (-3) | MIT: 5 | DMG: 10

Yukiro | HP: 200/200 | EN: 18/20
NIGHT | HP: 119/120 | EN: 10/12 (+1, -2)

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

ID# 128085
BD: 2 MD: 7
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 18/20 (+1-2) 
NIGHT: HP 118/120 (-1) | EN: 10/12
Nepent Variant: HP: 12/15 | MIT: 5 | DMG: 10

"Oh, It's creepier than the others..." NIGHT pointed out. The new Nepent was bigger than the others and had a red bulb-like thing on top of it. 
Yukiro watched Night use a sword art on the creature (plant?). It didn't shatter. That confirmed his suspicion. 
"Night," he called lightly, "That's the variant we gotta get the thing from."
Yukiro watched one of the long vines smack NIGHT across the back. Fortunately, he was this time able to note the damage she was taking. Her bar barely decreased at all. 
"Hey, I just had a thought. Want me to stand back and let you sharpen your sword skills for a bit? Or should we just make salad and leave?"
It seemed like a good question to Yukiro. She probably hadn't spent her entire life learning how to swing a sword, so it might be good for her to get some practice. 
On the other hand... she probably just wanted to be done and get out of here. 

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"NIGHT, that's the variant we gotta get the thing from," Yukiro informed, as she tried to avoid one of the nepent's roots whipping her. "Ow," she dryly commented.

"Hey, I just had a thought," her friend mentioned, taking an idle pose and watching her. "Want me to stand back and let you sharpen your sword skills for a bit? Or should we just make salad and leave?"

"A salad? What--" NIGHT glanced back at Yukiro, processing. "You could've stuck to make like a tree, that would've worked fine too."

"As for training," she continued, readying her stance. "I don't mind --"

-- Ping!

One cut, and she landed in a finishing pose, rising with a flourish. Turning back to the creature, its health was going down slowly, until all at once the dancing nepent vanished. NIGHT sighed, relieved, before turning back to Yukiro. "Though, I'm not sure what I'd need to pick up."

Heading over to its corpse, NIGHT squinted upon the dirt, only to find no trace of it left. "... Ah. It didn't drop anything..."

> Thorns was activated for 9 DMG on Nepent.

ID: 128059 | BD: 6 (4, +2) | CD: 9
> Recovery was activated. (+ 2 EN)
<<Straight>> on Nepent.

Nepent | HP: 0/15 (-9, -3) | MIT: 5 | DMG: 10

Yukiro | HP: 200/200 | EN: 18/20
NIGHT | HP: 118/120 | EN: 10/12 (+1, +2, -2) 

Loot:
ID: 128175 | LD: 5

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

ID# 128229 | BD: 8
ID# 128230 | BD: 3
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 13/20 (+1-6)
Nepent 1: HP 7/7 (-7)
Nepent 2: HP 7/7

"A salad? What-- You could've stuck to make like a tree, that would've worked fine too."
Yukiro shook his head, "I meant we could just chop the vegetables."
"As for training," she continued, readying her stance. "I don't mind --"

Ping!

NIGHT lunged and slashed through the voracious vegetable, a certain grace to this attack. It made Yukiro glad he wasn't in front of her this time. He offered a quiet applause for her victory.
"... Ah. It didn't drop anything..."
Yukiro walked over to where NIGHT was standing. "Hm. I guess that means we have to fight more of these things until another big one spawns."
He glanced around. There were two normal ones approaching. 
Yukiro redrew he sword. 
"Careful, they might touch you. I don't wanna see you like that. Much."
Taking a long step forward Yukiro swiped his sword through a Nepent's body. It shattered into little shards. 

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Hm," Yukiro pondered. "I guess that means we have to fight more of these things until another big one spawns."

They didn't have to wait long, as two new nepents wriggled forth from the forest edge. He pulled out his sword. "Careful, they might touch you."

NIGHT readied herself for combat, too.

"I don't wanna see you like that. Much."

She shot him a distraught, tired look. "What's that supposed to mean...?"

One quick blow and the Nepent shattered into pieces. Meanwhile, NIGHT readied her stance for another sword art, holding her sword to her cheek.

Ping!

Off to the races. With one wide arc, she took down the other Nepent in a shot, dropping its health to nothing. Turning back after she'd landed, she watched it crackle into varying shards. "Geez," she thought aloud, "how many more of these do we have to fight?"

If that was an invitation for two more to wriggle out the darkness, NIGHT wouldn't have noticed.

ID: 128235 | BD: 9
<<Straight>> on Nepent.
4 + 1 = 5 DMG | 5 * 2 = 10 DMG

Nepent | HP: -3/7 (-10) | DMG: 3

Yukiro | HP: 200/200 | EN: 13/20
NIGHT | HP: 118/120 | EN: 9/12 (+1, -2) 

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

Nepent: HP 7 Dmg 3
ID# 128239 | BD: 9
ID# 128242 | BD: 1
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 8/20 (+1-6)
Nepent 1: HP 0/7 (-15)
Nepent 2: HP 7/7

Night struck down the other Nepent with one wide arc. It's health quickly dropped to nothing and it shattered into bright shards. 
"Geez, how many more of these do we have to fight?" NIGHT complained.

Yukiro watched yet another pair of Nepents wriggle out from the trees. With ha heavy sigh he told her, "Probably a couple dozen more. Rare monsters don't spawn often, so it would make sense."
In all honesty, he was just trying to fluster her. She'd done it to him more than enough, so it was only fair.
Stepping in between NIGHT and the closer Nepent, cutting it down with ease. 
"I'm kidding. I don't actually know. But it could be."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Probably a couple dozen more. Rare monsters don't spawn often, so it would make sense."

"Ah, so that's how it is. Maybe I should be saving my energy then..." NIGHT wasn't too sure how rare the variant was, but judging from Yukiro's description, it might be a while before they saw it again. And the variant seemed tough -- it barely got hurt when she tried lunging at it. Her team mate approached her, close, before swinging his sword.

"I'm kidding," he quipped. "I don't actually know. But it could be."

"It would make sense though, from what you concluded with earlier... W-wait." There was a squishy and growling sound from the side. A quick glance to her left and she would see another Nepent standing close. NIGHT jumped away, trying to counter a swinging vine, but missed, just like her enemy did. "Okay okay," she commented, raising her sword in proper posture. "These things are way too sneaky for plants."

@Yukiro

ID: 128251 | BD: 4 (2, +2) | MD: 1
NIGHT missed the Nepent! (-2 EN)
Nepent missed NIGHT!

Nepent | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Yukiro | HP: 200/200 | EN: 8/20
NIGHT | HP: 118/120 | EN: 8/12 (+1, -2) 

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

ID# 128253 | BD: 7
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 8/20 (+1-1)
Nepent 2: HP 7/7 (-7)

"It would make sense though, from what you concluded with earlier... W-wait." 
Tch! No fluster...
Apparently NIGHT hadn't noticed the second Nepent. She made a startled jump when she noticed it, much to Yukiro's amusement. Both she and the plant attacked each other, but neither managed to connect a blow.
"Okay okay, These things are way too sneaky for plants."
Yukiro once again stepped in between her and the voracious vegetable villain. And once again all it took was once simple swipe to bring it down and turn the creature into fading polygons. 
He turned back to NIGHT. "I'd better be getting some points for that," he said, only half joking.
He took a step back, putting a bit of distance between them. As much as he was trying to keep himself together (and he felt he was doing a pretty good job) it was still hard to do so. 
"A-anyways, we should get ready. More are probably coming, if not the big one."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"I'd better be getting some points for that," Yukiro joked, taking a step back.

"Sure, even though you've already saved me a number of times," NIGHT commented, a little too smug for someone in her position, waving her sword with an intention to keep it. In the corner of her eye, however, she spotted another red blossom jittering towards them. "Uh, wait. Hold up."

She got into another stance, letting the system guide her through -- and past -- the variant nepent, landing on the other side of it. Still, only a miniscule amount of damage was taken by the creature. NIGHT pouted, glancing at Yukiro. "Do I just need a better sword? Games are all about numbers, aren't they?" She examined hers over. "You were able to cut down the nepents with one strike, right..?"

NIGHT assumed another pose, leaning back, ready to begin training. "Well, if you've got any ideas on what I can do better at, I think now's the time."

ID: 128255 | BD: 9 (7, +2) 
<<Straight>> against Variant Nepent.

NIGHT | HP: 118/120 | EN: 7/12 (+1, -2) 

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

Nepent Variant: HP: 15 | MIT: 5 | DMG: 10
ID# 128261 | BD: 7 MD: 10
ID# 128262 | LD: 7 | No drop
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 7/20 (+1-2)
NIGHT: HP 107/120 (-12) | EN: 8/12
Nepent Variant: HP: 0/15 (-14) (HATE: Yukiro 1 // NIGHT 2)

NIGHT used a sword art and rushed a new Nepent that came out of nowhere. Her sword cut the side of it, and it's health bar decreased. Only a little bit though. NIGHT pouted, glancing at Yukiro. "Do I just need a better sword? Games are all about numbers, aren't they?" She examined hers over. "You were able to cut down the nepents with one strike, right..?"
"Yeah."
NIGHT assumed another pose, leaning back, ready to begin training. "Well, if you've got any ideas on what I can do better at, I think now's the time."
Yukiro sighed. A small explanation should suffice. 
He reared his sword and leaned heavily on his front foot. 
"As for numbers, just increase you two-handed sword skill. Get damage increasing equipment. That's all I know." As he spoke he lunged forward, using a basic technique to appear next to the mob at his top speed. He stopped next to the Nepent with his sword readied to strike. "But as for technique, while I don't usually look like it, I've been training all my life in how to use a sword."
The villainous veggie used it's vines to harshly whip NIGHT. Yukiro's emotions responded, much to his grief. His sword lashed out, slicing the thing in half. It didn't let out any noise. 
Because it was a plant.
But it did shatter. 
Yukiro stood up straight and sheathed his sword. 
"So for now, focus on increasing your numbers. That's the fastest way."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Numbers, numbers," NIGHT chanted under her breath as she rose from her position. "I guess that's part and parcel of being in a game." She looked back to Yukiro, amused. "Training all your life, huh?" Arms resting behind her head, she added, "So you're a sportsy disciplined kinda person, I take it?"

She tilted her head back at Yukiro soon though, confused. "So there's nothing in the way of techniques? I've been assuming the way I've been holding a sword this time... is absolute bogus." NIGHT struck a few poses, trying to adjust her wrist and grip with her greatsword. "See, if it weren't for the system, this... right here." She tried swinging her sword with might, but struggled to get a good arc without contorting her hands. "I should've broken my arm a long time ago," the girl concluded.

Two more Nepent came scuttling by, out of the dense forest once more. That's really convenient for demonstration.

"But, if I were to do this --"

-- Ping!

NIGHT cut down the Nepent in a flash, landing in a dramatic pose. Holding up her sword idly, she called back, "I'd be totally fine by the end of it. Does the system not account for accurate physics..?"

@Yukiro

ID: 128255 | BD: 8 (6, +2) 
<<Straight>> against Nepent.
4 * 2 = 8 DMG

Nepent #1 | HP: -1/7 | DMG: 3
Nepent #2 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

NIGHT | HP: 107/120 | EN: 6/12 (+1, -2) | MIT: 17

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

ID# 128273 | BD: 1 MD: 3
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 6/20 (+1-2)
Nepent 2: HP 7/7 

"So you're a sportsy disciplined kinda person, I take it?"
"No, I was... forced into it, in a way. My parents taught me and my siblings since birth."
NIGHT tilted her head a bit. "So there's nothing in the way of techniques? I've been assuming the way I've been holding a sword this time... is absolute bogus." NIGHT struck a few poses, trying to adjust her wrist and grip with her greatsword. "See, if it weren't for the system, this... right here." She tried swinging her sword with might, but struggled to get a good arc without contorting her hands. "I should've broken my arm a long time ago," the girl concluded.
He wouldn't show it on his face, but her technique was awful. She was completely right in saying that her wrists should have broken.
With a heavy sigh, Yukiro lifted his sword. 
"Look, there are as many ways to hold a sword as there are people. What I'm about to show you is how I learned."
As he spoke two more Nepents closed in on them. Ah, good training dummies.
"But, if I were to do this --"
NIGHT activated a sword art, cutting down one of the Nepents and landing in a dramatic pose. Holding up her sword idly, she called back, "I'd be totally fine by the end of it. Does the system not account for accurate physics..?"
Yukiro tilted his head a bit. "Hm. Think of the sword arts as the flashiest possible way to do it. They waste a lot of time and movement and are obscenely predictable," he started. Poor NIGHT had no idea what she was in for.
"Again, this is just my style. I hold the sword in one hand, like so," he held his sword out at arms length before raising it above his head on one hand, "Then I use two hands to swing. As I reach a point where my back hand is resisting the swing, I just let go with it. Then it's as simple as flipping my wrist and swinging again."
He took a few more rapid swings before finishing by thrusting the tip of his sword into the ground. 
"Give it a shot, if you want."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Think of the sword arts as the flashiest possible way to do it. They waste a lot of time and movement and are obscenely predictable."

"But you can't disagree that they provide the most damage with one strike, right?" NIGHT pondered, turning around to check on the creatures.

"-- This is just my style. I hold the sword in one hand, like so," Yukiro started, beginning his demonstration. "Then I use two hands to swing. As I reach a point where my back hand is resisting the swing, I just let go with it. Then it's as simple as flipping my wrist and swinging again."

"Kendo, huh?" NIGHT mentioned, trying to visualize executing the action in her head. Giving the swing a few short tries, she rushed up to the Nepent and gave it a whack--

-- if it actually landed, because it didn't. The strike fell slightly short of the plant, and it seemed to writhe angrily at her.

"..."

@Yukiro

ID: 128312 | BD: 5 (3, +2) 
NIGHT missed!

Nepent | HP: 7 | DMG: 3

NIGHT | HP: 107/120 | EN: 5/12 (+1, -2) | MIT: 17

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

ID# 128325 | BD: 9
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 6/20 (+1-1)
Nepent 2: HP 0/7 (-32)

"Kendo, huh?" NIGHT commented.
Yukiro waved a hand in front of him. "No, no, it's a Western style. If you do that in kendo they get mad at you."
After a few trial swings NIGHT rushed up to the Nepent and tried to slice it with her sword. 
And missed completely, failing to slice it with her sword. Somehow, the Nepent seemed to be offended by the almost sad attempt at killing it. 
"..."
Yukiro walked toward her. "It's tricky at first. You'll get it." 
As another demo he moved his sword to his side in his left hand. As he started to swing it he grabbed the handle with his right hand. His sword whistled through the air, cutting into the Nepent and traveling all the way through. Finally, as the sword exited his target, his right hand released his sword. |
"Something like that," he told her, turning away as it shattered. "I can teach you more later, if you want," he offered.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"It's tricky at first," Yukiro mentioned. "You'll get it."

With a swing that seemed complex to her, the Nepent was banished. NIGHT sighed, pushing back her hair. "Something like that," he added, turning to check on her. "I can teach you more later, if you want."

"Something tells me I'm not built to do that," she admitted, "Like, reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination? But I don't mind giving it a shot, if you'd humor me."

Keeping an eye out for other nepents, NIGHT continued experimenting, practicing her swings and holding her sword in different (awfully impractical) stances. "So you've done it in Kendo?" she joked, sinking her blade to the ground and resting against it. "I never knew you were so well versed in swordplay -- was it a family thing? Like, tradition, or was it just something that acted as a discipline?"

"Let's see..." NIGHT thought about it, looking into the trees. If there was a variant nearby, she wasn't too alert to have seen it. "The closest thing I've had to training like this was netball... But it's been ages since I've tried. I don't think I remember the rules anymore."

@Yukiro

Spoiler

Nepent Variant: HP: 15 | MIT: 5 | DMG: 10
ID# 128348 | BD: 3
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 5/20 (+1-2)
NIGHT: HP 107/120 | EN: 8/12
Nepent Variant: HP: 15/15 (HATE: Yukiro 0 // NIGHT 0)

"Something tells me I'm not built to do that. Like, reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination? But I don't mind giving it a shot, if you'd humor me."
"No, you can do it. It just takes practice."
Yukiro kept watch while NIGHT continue practicing her swings. To Yukiro's amusement she was holding her sword in many impractical stances. I felt like she had no sense of her weapons movement at all. 
"So you've done it in Kendo?" sh asked sinking her blade to the ground and resting against it.
Yukiro nodded. 
"I never knew you were so well versed in swordplay -- was it a family thing? Like, tradition, or was it just something that acted as a discipline?" 
Yukiro glanced away for some reason. "My parents are British, and insisted  on raising me and my brothers like knights. So one of the things we'd do often is sword fight." 
"Let's see... The closest thing I've had to training like this was netball... But it's been ages since I've tried. I don't think I remember the rules anymore." 
Netbal..?
"Is that so?" Yukiro asked, noticing a variant moving closer. "On a different note, there's a large squirming plant over there."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Is that so?"

"Yeah," NIGHT ruffled her hair a bit, recalling the rigorous training and unnecessary abuses of netball training. "It stopped being fun after it got competitive. Plus I had to focus on my studies, and coming home late isn't the best in these scenarios..."

"On a different note," Yukiro added, "There's a large squirming plant over there."

"Oh?" NIGHT turned around, finally noticing the red blossom sticking out like a sore thumb. Twirling the sword back up into a stance, she readied herself. "Maybe it'll give us something good this time."

One moment of stillness, and an immediate flash of light was all NIGHT needed to cut past the vegetable and halve it's health. As she got up, the creature slapped at her armor, causing it to shatter into fragments as she looked back at it. That was fast.

On further examination, she picked up a small, shining drop, but couldn't comprehend what the object was. "Hey, Yukiro," NIGHT called out, holding the item up for him to see. "Is this what we needed?"

ID: 128349 | BD: 10 | CD: 11 | MD: 7
> Recovery was activated. (+2 EN) 
<<Straight>> vs Variant Nepent.
4 + 2 = 6 DMG | 6 * 2 = 12 DMG | 12 - 5 = 7 DMG

Variant Nepent attacks NIGHT!
10 - 17 = 1 DMG
> Thorns was activated for 9 DMG.

Variant Nepent | HP: 0/15 (-7, -9) | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5

NIGHT | HP: 106 (-1) /120 | EN: 6/12 (+1, +2, -2) | MIT: 17

Loot:
ID: 128350 | LD: 13