[NLY-PP-F11] Frost

Hanging around the city square with Lessa had been a lot of fun. They'd played games, enjoyed some hot cocoa together, and even had their shared fortune read. But Bahr was more of the isolationist sort, gradually leading her from the commotion to an area a bit more private and quiet. It wasn't anything too fancy, just a park in town that seemed to be vacant at the time being. They unlikely pair had found a nice little bench to camp out at, sitting as close to one another as possible and gleaning warmth from the closeness amidst the chills of winter.

"It's almost a little eerie like this," Bahr admitted, abolishing the silence between them. "I've never seen the park empty like this. It's so quiet." Not that he minded it allowed him to give her every molecule of his attention. As his dual-toned eyes shifted to meet with hers, a grin stretched across his face. "Feels kinda cool having it all to ourselves. It's almost like our own little secret."

@Lessa

The smile had never left Lessa's lips, but it managed to grow as Bahr led her to the bench. For a moment, she was content to simply sit beside him, incredibly aware of their closeness. Aware, and pleased by it. They certainly weren't the public displays of affection type, and Lessa wasn't about to behave like a high schooler in the hallway between classes. But she really appreciated his body against hers, and not just for the warmth it offered. There was a security in being so near. There was a thrill in being so desired. And there was something she couldn't quite explain that happened when she looked at him.

Now or never.

"Bahr," she began on an exhale, the single word sending a plume of steam from her lips. "I..."

The words simply weren't there. How many times had she rehearsed this, played it out in her head? She'd practiced the speech, and all its variations. But when her mouth opened, there was nothing but hot air. Hadn't she expected this? He had a way of stealing her words. And her breath. And just about everything else she had to offer. Does he have any idea?

She sighed, cleared her throat, tried again. "I got you something. For Christmas, I mean. It's small, and it doesn't mean much. You probably have one just like it, but... ah, here."

Where words failed her, she fell back on the simple action of fishing an item from her pocket. It took a bit of time, and a lot of patience, to remove the pin's back with her gloves on. Another few seconds passed as she affixed the silver trinket to the front of his coat. Right over his heart, she thought dumbly as she drew back and searched his face for a reaction. Was it too obvious?

"Merry Christmas, Apollo."

Spoiler

Item Name: Neutron Star Enamel Pin
Profession: Artisan
Roll ID:   132157
Roll Result:  12 (11, +1)
Item Type: Trinket
Tier: 1
Quality: Perfect
Enhancements: Loot Die, Loot Die, Loot Die
Description:   A small silver pin with red accents. Lines and curves work together to depict the neutron star’s elongated shape. Can be used to find the good in a bad situation, even with the naked eye.

"Bahr, I..."

"Hmm?" he questioned as his eyes flickered to meet with hers. She seemed a bit flustered, which Bahr didn't really understand. Had they not spent plenty of time together like this by now? He would have thought she'd be comfortable with it at this point. After clearing her throat, she attempted to speak again.

"I got you something. For Christmas, I mean. It's small, and it doesn't mean much. You probably have one just like it, but... ah, here."

Bahr blinked as she began fishing around in one of her pockets, unsure if he had heard her correctly. A Christmas present? He hadn't received one during his entire time in Aincrad. But as she produced the small trinket he felt his breath catch in his throat. That's... A neutron star, just like the one he had pointed out to her during their night together under the stars.

"What about that one? Do you see how it's sort of elongated in a weird way? That's a neutron star. They're actually so tiny that we shouldn't be able to see them with our naked eye like this - only in Aincrad can you enjoy this sort of thing without a telescope."

As she took a few seconds to affix the pin to his jacket, a small panel with the trinket's information populated. 

A small silver pin with red accents. Lines and curves work together to depict the neutron star’s elongated shape. Can be used to find the good in a bad situation, even with the naked eye.

He smiled like an idiot the entire time he read it, while she fumbled clumsily through her gloves to pin it over his heart. Right where it belonged. It may have been small, but it shared a truth with real neutron stars.

Despite their small size, they're stupid powerful.

"Merry Christmas, Apollo."

He simply sat there for a moment, a silly grin stretched across his face as he idly thumbed the trinket where it now rested against his coat. "I..." he started, stopping just as abruptly as he realized he didn't have the words. In spite of this, he would try anyway. "Alyssa, I don't even know where to begin. This means so much to me." He leaned back against the bench, fingers still playing with the pin. "I can't believe you remembered."

And then, a small pang of guilt.

"I... didn't get you anything..." he admitted as he averted his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, no no, that's fine." She pulled back, waving both gloved hands through the cold air. "Seriously, it's okay. I didn't expect anything. I don't really want anything." Except to spend time with you, her mind concluded, with a sudden fluttering in her stomach. But she bit down on the words before she could put voice to her thoughts - no need to be too forward and scare him away. Again.

"It's just something small," she continued, "but it seemed right. That talk meant a lot to me. That whole night did." There it was again, that edge that she so frequently teetered on when she was with him. It would be so easy to lean just a bit more, push just a bit harder, and ride the slippery slope down into complete infatuation. If she were to cup a snowball in her hand, then teleport to the fifth floor, the result would be a pretty accurate visual representation of Bahr's effect on Lessa. 

What is wrong with me? When did I go so soft?

A more cynical part of her wondered if it was simply the attention he was giving her. She'd been starved for so long, and perhaps Bahr was simply filing that need. Of course, that part of her was small, and easily shushed when she remembered the way he'd put himself between her prone, dying form, and the towering Lich King. Not everyone would have done that, especially for someone they'd only just met.

Had she known even then?

The girl blew out a long breath, expelling any lingering negativity. "So yeah, of course I remembered." She had no idea what this was, or what it would be. But it made her happy, and in a hell like Aincrad, maybe that was enough. 

"That talk meant a lot to me. That whole night did."

Those words in particular resonated heavily within Bahr, almost physically sinking into his skin. It wasn't often that someone as easily distracted as Bahr could become so captivated by only a few hours in time. But ever since that night, they had been running on repeat through his mind. He'd wanted to go back a thousand times. To cook a nice meal for the two of them and sit on the back porch on those over sized chairs, watching the sun slowly disappear over the horizon as its last rays of light painted the sky scarlet. To share another kiss.

But more than anything, he wanted more of those deep conversations. The ones that they could both pour their passion into, bouncing ideas and concepts and feelings off of one another deep into the night. After the sun had gone, and they were left alone with one another in the pitch black. Their food laying off to the side, forgotten as they delved into the topics of space, life, energy, and their place in it all. Conversations like these, and the way that they made Bahr feel, absolutely made the relationship.

The relationship.

Was that what this was? It certainly felt like it. That being said, they had never officially decided on anything. Which may have been for the best, so early into all of this. Why bother with labels when what they had was working out so well for them?

"So yeah, of course I remembered."

"I guess it was pretty memorable, huh?" he mused, his hand finally falling from the pin. "I've never had another like it. It was special through and through." There was no use trying to hide his smile, he decided. It was a force to be reckoned with. "I think that the most exciting part about it is the fact that it's just the first of many. At least, I hope so." He swiveled his head, casting his green and crimson orbs upon hers. "As long as you're up for it."

Bahr's smile put all of the cheerful holiday decorations to shame. It shone brilliantly, and warmed her better than any hot cocoa possibly could. She wouldn't have minded just looking at it for a while, but his words required her attention. Besides, she wasn't sure if they were quite close enough for staring to be allowed.

"The first of many," she echoed, then nodded. Those eyes, so unique and full of light, drew her in. "Yeah, I'd really like that. It was a really nice time."

She ducked her head to hide the goofy grin, as she was unable to fight it any longer. He had that effect on her, but it wasn't altogether unpleasant. Just as the silence began to settle like snow, a sudden though struck her.

"Oh hey," she began, turning back to him. "I was in the White Rabbit a few days ago. Alexander asked where you were, and was giving me a hard time for not being with you." Despite the faint embarrassment the notion caused, she smiled at the silliness of it all. "It was kind of charming, actually. You must be treating him pretty well, for him to like you that much."

Lessa leaned back, draping one arm over the back of the bench. She crossed her legs at the knee, bouncing her foot as she tilted her head to the sky. Stars twinkled overhead, and though their light was dwarfed by the strings of artificial bulbs, she much preferred the real thing. The mystery of space still captivated her at every turn. And now, it made her think of Bahr.

"And to think," she said dreamily, "I knew you when you were still a jerk to NPCs."

Bahr chuckled at her revelation, stretching one of his arms over the back of the bench and around Lessa's shoulders. "Yeah- it's the weirdest thing," he started as he pitched his jaw upward, watching the specks of white gracefully cascading toward them from above. "It's something I've been trying out, ever since our chat the first time we hung out at White Rabbit." His eyes shifted about, tracking a flake for a moment before finding the next one. "It's not so bad, I guess. If I'm being real with you, sometimes I still feel a bit dishonest being nice to a bunch of code. But sometimes they get to me."

"There was actually a situation not long ago where I ended up getting unreasonably upset about this one quest."
 He squinted a bit as a snowflake landed on one of his eyelashes, then allowed his chin to fall. "It's on the second floor. This NPC family - they let their kid play near this cave. The kid gets chased in by some mobs, and the quest is to fight the mobs and retrieve the child. While trying to talk to the kid, I realized through the limited dialogue options that this is something that happens all the time. And though the kid couldn't articulate it, you could tell that they knew it was happening over and over again."

He shifted a bit in his seat, suddenly feeling more uncomfortable than he had before. "Anyways, I get the kid back to the mother and she's thanking me profusely, but I feel like I can't accept it because I haven't actually changed anything. And sure enough, as I'm walking away, the kid starts wandering right back to the cave, presumably to get chased in by the mobs and start the whole nightmare over again. It just seemed like such a sad existence, even knowing that it was all just code."

His eyes found hers again, a bittersweet mixture playing within them. "Just not the sort of thing I really thought about before meeting you. You've made me see things differently. Better."

As Bahr's arm came around her shoulders, Lessa let herself lean into him. She listened thoughtfully, her eyelids drooping as she focused on his words, and the warmth radiating from him. Despite the chill in the air, and the cool breeze that occasionally rolled through them, she couldn't think of anywhere she'd rather be.

Once he'd concluded, she opened her eyes. "You know," she began softly, "I've thought about that too. People like Alexander, who runs the inn, has the ability to live a semi-normal life." She gave a small shrug against Bahr. "I mean, for an NPC. He has a family, and a job, and a purpose outside of just existing. But what about the quest NPCs? Does that boy you're talking about have any semblance of free will? Does he ever question his existence, or wonder why he keeps wandering into that same cave? Is the mom forced to live a life of fear, terrified for her missing child?"

When Lessa shuddered, it had nothing to do with the cold. "Don't get me wrong, I hate being trapped here. But at least we have choice. Those poor NPCs are so much worse off." She tilted her head to look at him, concern clouding her blue eyes. The corners of her lips turned down as she asked, "What about the bosses? I know its a ridiculous thing to think about, because they're programmed to attack us. It's kill or be killed with them, but... do you think they know? Do they realize they're trapped in an endless cycle of being killed, only to respawn, then be killed again? That they exist to be hated by us, and hunted by us?"

Her short laugh was without humor, and she muttered, "Maybe you were happier without thoughts like this. I can't imagine how you're better off now, worrying over the well-being of NPCs. Thoughts like these'll drive you crazy if you let them. I can't start second guessing myself when I'm squaring off against something hell-bent on killing me." She lifted a gloved hand helplessly, then let it drop back into her lap. "If I start drawing parallels between Alexander and the Lich King, I'll be useless."

"Hah, happier without this?" he chortled, brushing a loose strand of hair away from his eyes. "That's sort of silly. I was miserable before. I feel like I've been gaining pieces of my humanity back ever since we crossed paths. A breath of fresh air, really. Kind of like that first deep breath you take after being submerged in the water too long. I was pulled down so deep, I genuinely think I was capable of truly terrible things." Okay. That got dark. Darker than he had intended, anyways.

"That's interesting to think about, though. The mobs and bosses, I mean," he said, circling back hastily. "I've never really thought about it that way. In all honesty, they behave so animalistically that I don't think they really know what's going on. They behave just like any other mob I've squared off against in any other MMO. The NPCs is where it seems to become more complex, and I start second guessing things. They just feel so sentient sometimes."

But he was getting a little ahead of himself, wasn't he? There was something a little deeper to what she had said.

"If I start drawing parallels between Alexander and the Lich King, I'll be useless."

Deep down somewhere, Lessa was still having doubts about her own abilities. About her strength, and her ability to survive in this world. To a certain extent, the Lich King had robbed that from her. And while Bahr hoped she knew that he would always be there for her, and always protect her, he knew that that wasn't what she needed. What she needed was to know that she could stand up on her own and protect herself. And she definitely could. She just needed to be reminded.

"You know, I've been thinking about this for awhile..." he started, opening his menu with a swipe of his finger and quickly navigating to his inventory. "There's something I want you to have." One tap, then another, and the window was dismissed. As it faded, a large sword materialized in the man's free hand; Scarecrow's Sickle. Despite having been exposed to the fearsome might of Dawn's Demise, Bahr could still feel the raw power that emanated from his previous blade. It thirsted for the strife of combat, and the thrill of victory. It was a dangerous weapon in that its power would tantalize the weak. Bahr had succumbed to its influence countless times, and even having moved past that chapter of his life, the bloodlust still lingered. But that was a reflection of his own weakness. If anyone was strong enough to wield this weapon's power without falling victim to its temptations, it was Lessa. He'd never been so sure about anything.

"I, uh, don't want you to think of this as a hand-me-down," he stated a tad nervously. "A man I consider a mentor of sorts provided me with this blade a long time ago. It has a history steeped in violence and bloodshed, and it's very possible that someone with a weak moral compass might give in to the same temptations as its original owners." Lord knows, Bahr had come close. "But there was another burden that came with it. He told me that once it had fulfilled its usefulness for me, I would be tasked with handing it on to someone else. Someone strong enough to tame its raw power, worthy, so that it may continue to aid people on their journey through this castle. I don't know anyone else with a heart quite as big as yours. Nobody else embodies what it takes to handle this weapon, not even myself. So I am passing it along, as well as its burden to one day be passed along again, to you."

He slowly placed the sword in her hands, taking care to let to become adjusted to its weight before fully pulling his hand away. It was similar to Scarecrow's Twin, but different all the same. Having held both swords, Bahr knew there was a difference. Surely she would feel it as well.

"Merry Christmas, Alyssa."

Sent to Lessa:

Spoiler

Name: Scarecrow’s Sickle
Item Type: Lucky Charm
Tier: 2
Quality: Demonic
Enhancements: Damage | Damage | Damage | Bleed
Description: A weapon that looks more like a tool, than anything that would cause damage. Despite that, it seems though in the right hands it would cause some trouble. Image.
Post Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/9627-pp-f6-pumpking-event-boss/?do=findComment&comment=433161 

"Oh Bahr."

Originally, Lessa had thought that the most amazing feeling was giving him that pin. She'd known it would mean a lot to him, but the look on his face had been well worth the hours and the col put into it. But that swell of pleasure paled in comparison to the rush of emotion that his gift caused. She stared at the weapon in her lap, her gloved fingers slowly sliding across its snow-slicked surface. She'd seen the weapon dozens of times in Bahr's hands, but now she treated it like a newly unearthed ancient artifact. 

When her eyes finally lifted to find his, they were wide and full of unspilt emotion. "Are you sure?" she asked when words finally came to her. "I know you have Dawn's Demise now, but..." One hand wrapped around the sword's hilt, and she squeezed it so tightly her knuckles lost their color. "... Sickle is yours."

Lessa inhaled deeply, attempting to clear her head with a dose of cold winter air. Everything seemed a bit hazy. How had they moved so quickly from philosophical discussions on NPC consciousnesses, to... this? It had been jarring. Or, at least, that's what she told herself to explain the pressure behind her eyes.

As casually as possible, she dragged the back of her free hand across her eyes, covering the sniffle with a short cough. "Uh," she began, blinking a couple of times, and keeping her gaze on a nearby tree. It's red and green lights twinkled, the same shades as his eyes, which she felt on her when she finally spoke. "I didn't know Sickle's history. That's a lot of responsibility."

"Are you sure?"

Yes.

"I know you have Dawn's Demise now, but... Sickle is yours."

"Not anymore," he replied with a warm smile, his hand folding over hers as it gripped the weapon's hilt. He gave a light squeeze before continuing, "This blade gave me strength when I needed it most. But now I've found that strength somewhere else. It will best serve its purpose in your hands."

She looked like she was on the verge of crying. Bahr couldn't tell if it would be good tears that were spilt, or bad. Good, he hoped? As she took a deep breath of the frigid winter air, Bahr felt confident in the answer. I'd hate to see you cry, he'd wanted to say. You're so much prettier when you smile, was another that came to mind, but it almost sounded... creepy? And condescending. With this you can have the power to protect yourself. You won't need me or anyone else to do it for you. No. He would always be there to protect her. And she didn't need Sickle to protect herself, she was always capable of that. The sword was just a reminder.

"It's time to be your own advocate," was what he finally settled on, the words rolling from his tongue before he'd really put much thought into it. It seemed like the correct thing to say. It felt right.

But hadn't she said something?

"I didn't know Sickle's history. That's a lot of responsibility."

Crap, he hadn't just ignored that, had he?

"Anyways, uhh, yeah. There's a lot of history in there. It has been used both for good, and great evil. I would say I hope you use it for the right reasons, but I know I don't need to. You will."

"It's time to be your own advocate."

Her heart stopped. Or did it skip a few beats? Speed up? Melt? Grow three sizes? In the moment, it was difficult to tell exactly. But her heart did something, because everything in her simply stutter-stepped. The sharp intake of breath even hitched, but she managed to collect herself before being reduced to whimpering.

"My dad," she began slowly, as if carefully selecting each word because it hurt as it fell from her lips. "He had a saying just like that. Whenever I started letting people walk all over me, he would remind me. He even called me when I was at college to make sure I remembered."

When she finally smiled, it was sad, and the gesture did not reach her eyes. It was odd to see such melancholy in a typically happy expression. "I miss him," she finally managed. "I wish I were out there. But then..." Her eyes swept up to his, the tears she'd swatted at moments before beginning to pool again. "If I were, I guess then I'd miss you."

In a single swift movement, Lessa's hand turned on the blade's hilt to grasp Bahr's. Then she squeezed a bit too tightly.

I don't need this sword to be strong. And maybe I don't even need you. But I'm still grateful for every day that you're by my side.

"Thank you for Sickle."

And for everything else.

Wow, what a coincidence, Bahr would have said if it didn't sound completely cliche and corny, even in his head. What could he really say to anything that she had just leveled at him? He yearned for his family as well, but he felt exactly the same way. It was getting to a point where he couldn't tell what he wanted more. To be out there with his family, or to be in here with her.

"Yeah, me too," he finally settled on, albeit a tad shyly. Shyly? Bahr being shy. Wow, that was quite the concept. His hand gripped hers as he squeezed. There was so much emotion in the small action that Bahr still didn't completely understand. There was a lot of figuring out that they had to do. But the connection was unmistakable.

"No need to thank me," he replied with a grin as he settled back into his seat. "It's a kickass blade and all, but it comes with a job attached. Kind of a crappy Christmas present, when I really think about it. I should be apologizing instead." Obviously sarcastic, but nothing mocking or cynical about it. He'd nudge her with his elbow if there were room between them to do so. "Your gift was way cooler, anyway. And more personal." And carried every bit as much weight as a real neutron star.

He rested his jaw against her head as the cold slowly settled in. He wasn't bothered by it, not when he had her close like this. Their night together on the porch had been amazing, but the chairs hadn't allowed them the closeness they shared now. He probably wouldn't have been as cold then if they had. "No job either, which is nice. I've been a bit lazy lately. I think it's a holiday thing."

The robed gentleman approached the two lovebirds with both of his hands behind his back. He cleared his throat softly, loud enough to garner their attention but not so loud that he would completely disturb the ambiance of the evening. When the pair turned to face him, they would be greeted with a warm smile. The very personification of holiday spirit. It did the old man's heart good to see such fervent gestures of giving being performed in front of him. In truth there was very rarely an exchange of gifts more meaningful and intimate than that which occurred between lovers. As such, it moved him to step in for a moment and bestow his own gift upon the lovers. "Greetings my children. I am Father Wuotan. I hope I'm not disturbing you two tonight. I am merely here to grant the two of you a wish. Speak it to me and you shall have it if it is within my power. Though I doubt I would be able to give the two of you anything nearly as meaningful as the gifts you have already shared with one another."

Instinctively, Lessa pulled away when the discount-brand Dumbledore cleared his throat. It was silly, considering they weren't a couple teens with their hands down each others pants in a high school hallway or anything. But embarrassment still rode high on her already cold-flushed cheeks as he spoke. She did remember hearing about this mythical NPC, but she hadn't intended to go looking for him. In fact, all she had hoped for was a bit of time with Bahr. Father Wuotan, it seemed, had found them instead. 

Fortunately, those tears that had threatened to spill over began to dry as she offered the bearded a man a genuine smile. "No," she answered him. "I don't think there's much that can top what Bahr has given me." She cast her companion a quick glance, then looked back to Father Wuotan's weathered face. In all her life, Lessa couldn't remember a time when she had felt so... bashful. Did this NPC also have some sort of status effect? Wouldn't that be weird.

"I, uh, wouldn't mind a little help with the weapon though," she stated suddenly, an idea coming to her, and firing in her blue eyes. "I know Sickle will give me strength, but I want to be powerful enough to do the sword justice. Is it possible for you to make me stronger, somehow?"

She shifted on the bench, suddenly aware of the warmth that they shared as they sat side by side. "If you can't do that, it's okay." Don't look at him, don't look at him, don't look at him, don't- Her gaze shifted upward until it found and held Bahr's mismatched one. Those damn Christmas eyes. "I have everything I need."

"I, uhm... Who are you?" Bahr uttered as the man approached, feeling Lessa slip away from him. Oh, right. It was that Wuotan dude. From the event. Who had apparently followed them here to this park, while they were isolated. "... Nice to see you, Weirdo. I mean, Wuotan! Definitely meant Wuotan."

Crap.

He cast a glance to Lessa who seemed almost... shy? Bashful? Like a child who had gotten caught holding hands with their crush by their parents. 

"No. I don't think there's much that can top what Bahr has given me."

Thank god, she's talking.

"I, uh, wouldn't mind a little help with the weapon though."

Oh?

"I know Sickle will give me strength, but I want to be powerful enough to do the sword justice. Is it possible for you to make me stronger, somehow?"

She doesn't need to do the sword "justice." She's strong enough as-

"If you can't do that, it's okay."

Bahr's gaze remained expectantly on Wuotan as they awaited a response, but he seemed to be waiting for something else. There was a peculiar twinkle in the old man's eye, and Bahr could swear he saw the edges of his lips begin to curl upward into a grin. What was he looking at? Bahr? Why was he smiling at him like that? When Bahr shot a quick glance to Lessa to see if she was catching onto this, he had to do a double take. The look she was giving him was something else. Captivating. Alluring. Inviting. 

"I have everything I need," she finally concluded, and Bahr counted himself lucky that he hadn't started to melt into the snow beneath the bench through the slits between the wood. While she had seemed shy before, now it felt like she wanted it all out in the open. He couldn't bring himself to pry his eyes away from hers, swallowed by the deep cerulean of her irises. Dangerous eyes, as he would come to call them.

"Me too," he replied dumbly, his cheeks so hot they could instantly evaporate the snowflakes that drifted to their surface. All he wanted to do now was kiss her, but in front of a strange man wasn't the time. The place was perfect, though.

Eventually his eyes drifted back to Wuotan, who was still patiently waiting. Bahr supposed it was his turn. But what would he ask for?

"I, erm." My brain is mush. "I-I recently got this armor. And it's great, but... One of the enhancements didn't work out like I'd hoped. Is there anything you can give me that will let me select a new one of the same quality?" Lessa was taking the opportunity to be all sappy and transforming Bahr into a stuttering pile of slush, but here he was sticking to optimizing his loadout. One of the curses MMOs. "It's alright if it's a no-go. In the end, I don't think I'll need it."

Because he really did have everything he needed.

Wuotan's eyes shifted playfully between the two lovebirds as he witnessed the relationship budding between them. They didn't understand yet just how wise what they had said to one another had been. "I have everything I need." It seemed that youth was not always wasted on the young.  "You know not yet just how powerful the gift you possess already is," he began, his lips quirking upward into a delighted smile. "But until you do, I can aid you in protecting it."

He slowly approached the pair, rifling through the interior of his robe before pulling out a small slip of paper. "For you, Bahr," he remarked, handing the voucher to the young man. "Though you may part ways with your protection from fire, in its place will rest something even more special. Yours is a soul that would embrace the flames for the greater good, and the gods have bestowed upon you the holiest of blessings thusly."

He then turned his attention toward Lessa. As his eyes locked with hers, a quest menu instantly populated before her. "As for you, Lessa," he began, his steely gaze softened as his cheeks rose into his chalky irises. "Your greatest strengths lie beyond your physical limitations. It is these that will award you control over Scarecrow's Sickle and its indomitable fury. Your iron will and unquestionable morality would force even the fiercest of demons to kneel before you."

Quest

Be strong.

O           X   

He looked to Bahr, then Lessa, then Bahr again. "I am truly optimistic that, no matter the quandary, the two of you will overcome it. Either one of you could seize the world with a single fist, so long as the other gripped the hand of your love." With that, he offered them a wink as a final parting gift before turning and slowly making his departure.

Spoiler

Upon acceptance of the quest, which immediately disappears from the log, Lessa receives the following:
SP
(Please link back to this post for your records.)

Spoiler

Once Bahr accepts the voucher, it binds to him. It cannot be transferred to anyone else for any reason.
It is only valid to change the Fireproof slot of Bloodstained Coat into Holy Blessing.
Voucher expires May 10th, 2095 at 13:59.
(Please link back to this post for your records.)

Lessa let the popup linger as she smiled up at Father Wuotan. There was something poetic in the fact  that he'd arrived on the heels of their intelligent NPCs discussion. This man certainly fell into that category, as something other than lines of code swirled in his dark eyes. Ancient wisdom lurked there, as did warm compassion and... was that good humor? She was strangely drawn to him, and felt a tug of sadness as he turned to leave. A sudden urge had her calling out after him. "Goodbye, and thank you!"

When it was once again just the two of them, Lessa let his words play back in her head. Gripping the hand of your love? She couldn't help it, her gaze dropped. She studied the space where her hand lay wrapped in Bahr's, their fingers intertwined, joined on the hilt of his sword. No, her sword. It had been his gift to her, as the pin had been hers to him. And Wuotan's gift had been strength. But had it not also been more than that? The hand of your love.

Lessa finally looked to her quest pop-up. 

Be strong.

I can do that.

Through the opaque popup box, she made out the familiar lines and curves of Bahr's face. The image was slightly distorted, but she would recognize him anywhere. And it was a sight she would never tire of. Her free hand reached to press the quest's accept button, but rather than diving into her menu to explore the gift, she continued to reach forward. Her gloved thumb trailed across his flushed cheek before coming to rest on the back of his head. Gently, and with painstaking slowness that betrayed none of the urgency she felt, she guided his head to hers, her lips to his. And only when she'd finally had her fill did she rest her forehead on Bahr's.

"So what do you think?" Lessa asked him, enjoying the feel of his warm breath on her skin. Spoken in a different context, her next statement might have come across as sarcastic or joking. But there, in the center of a Christmas village as the snow settled silently around them, she meant every word. "I think your fiery soul and my iron will sound like a pretty good match."

Bahr scrutinized the slip for a moment. What was up with this expiration date? Were they really planning on staying in here another seventy years? Bahr hoped it was just a weird quirk, and promptly stashed the voucher away in his inventory. By the time he'd looked up to thank Wuotan the man was gone. As quickly as they'd found themselves with company, Bahr and Lessa were alone again. 

By the time he'd turned to see what she'd gotten, he saw a gloved hand slowly extending toward him. It wrapped around the back of his neck and slowly ushered him closer to her, until their lips met and Bahr's senses were flushed by her presence. By the time her softness left his lips, he leaned forward, almost chasing them in an attempt to get more. He relented when she rested her forehead against his. 

"So what do you think?" she asked softly, a dreaminess in her voice that always followed any kiss they shared. "I think your fiery soul and my iron will sound like a pretty good match."

He smiled, a happy chuckle escaping from his lips before he spoke. "A perfect combo. Just think of all the things we could make together. Do together." Completely overcome with emotion. He hadn't felt this mushy since his first girlfriend. He was giddy and excited, and it was so intoxicating. "If Wuotan's got so much faith in us, then that's a good omen, right?"

He wanted to ask her, but he couldn't. He knew there was something he needed to do first, as much as he dreaded the thought. He couldn't ask Lessa to be his until he had left behind a piece of his past. To simply ignore it wouldn't be fair to either of them. "Got a lot more gifts for Christmas than I'd bargained for," he said instead, looking into the deepness of those beautiful blue eyes of hers. "And more than just the pin or voucher."

He knew that he should keep moving. His job here was done, was it not? He'd given his gifts, and now it was time for him to move on. There were other people to see, other presents to bestow upon unsuspecting festival goers. 

And yet, something kept him from leaving the pair behind. Call it curiosity, or a simple fascination, but he slowed once he had put a short distance between them. The snow crunched beneath his boots as he turned a slow one-eighty, glancing back toward the bench. 

He found them with their heads bowed, leaning in to share a private conversation. And likely more than words, if Father Wuotan's suspicions were correct. The thought brought a smile to his lips as he turned away once more. He would leave them to their budding relationship, whatever that relationship was. Friendship? More? Well, he knew the answer, but wasn't it more fun to let them figure it out for themselves?