[F01-PP] <<Secret Medicine Of The Forest>> For the love of SP

Freyd frowned, glancing side from side to side as if to ensure that no one was spoofing him.  How could this quest actually be this easy?  And how had he not already done it?!  He summoned a pop-up containing his progression plans - he had plans for EVERYTHING.  Yup.  There it was.  He'd simply overlooked it in his race to clear other content.  Shrugging, he took another sip of his morning coffee.  It was an odd new habit that he'd recently adopted when preparing for a quest, but he'd come to enjoy it.  Caffeine had always affected his digestion in the real world, but whatever the code was for this stuff in SAO, it seemed to have the opposite effect. 

"Maybe Cardinal is using it as a vector to lull us all into sedated coffee-drinking zombies," he said into his cup.  No one else seemed to be paying him any mind.  "Nah.  Too obvious."

Recalling the efficiency of having others along during several recent forays, he opened an invitation window.  "Going to whomp <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>.  Feel free to join me.  Leaving in a few hours." He made sure that the time stamp was clearly marked, but found his finger frozen above the send button.  That part of his mind stuck in permanent terror temporarily held control.  

'It's just a business transaction,' he repeatedly told himself.  'There is safety in numbers.'  Flexing his fingers, he pressed the key.  

Spoiler

Name: Freyd
Level: 21
HP: 420/420
EN: 42/42

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 14
Accuracy: 2
SAVVY:1
HLY:2
KEEN:1
BLD:12

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Forgiven Disobedience (T1-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Enduring Guile (T1-LA, MIT 1, SAV 1)
Misc: Justicar's Vambraces (T1-Trinket, ACC 1, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter

Mods:

None

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Fish snack (+1 ACC)*1
Divinity's Wait (T1 Mit 3)*1
Liquor of Light (T1 DMG 3)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Spoiler

Using Mega Slime Farm (+2 SP)

The notice board pinged to him about a certain quest he wanted to do. The quest was something he wanted to get done and over with as it was flagged in his current log for quite awhile. It seemed he had brushed it aside and now was the time to clear it. Eyes of Amber read through the entirety of the message before realizing it was submitted by Freyd. He nodded in favor of accepting the quest and acknowledged that he would meet him at the gate."Time to get this started." He yawned and sucked down some water out of his makeshift straw. It was something he was proud of as it was a hollow stick he had managed to find and clean it up. It wasn't unsanitary or anything of the sort. It was a game. 

He looked up at the time of day and made way to the gate and the floor that would be need. There he would further await instructions or meet with Freyd to go upon this quest. It looked like the two would do things together for the time being. He was happy to at least make friends...Did he send a request? He wasn't so sure as he absentmindedly continued to scroll though his friends list looking for him. 

Spoiler

Level 14: HP:280 Energy 28

Weapon: Jagged Fang
+2 DMG +1 Bld

Armor: Rose Prism
+ 1 EVA +2 MIT

Trinkets: Primrose Cross
+3 Loot Dice

Eye of Rain

+2 ACC +1 REC

Skills:
Dagger: Rank 3

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

The group invite popped up in front of Kiluia just as Freyd passed him on the right.  

"Come on, Kil," he chuckled.  "Let's go kill us some critters and play catch-up.  We won't get to the front lines by lingering about this place any longer than necessary."  A small, unusual pair of piercing blue eyes opened from the back of Freyd's black cassock.  They were sized like a child, with a feline quality about them, save that their pupils were horizontal slots.  

"The Nepent fields are up ahead.  So few players still roam this level that we shouldn't have too much competition."  He really wasn't much of a chatter, but Freyd spoke up again about half-way to their destination.

"You've seemed very distracted during our recent outings.  Is there something on your mind?"  There was no judgement in his tone.  If he was prying, it was out of genuine concern.  Freyd's mind wasn't the most even-keeled either, but he was present enough to realize that others might be experiencing their own struggles.  "You can talk to me, if you want.  It's why I wear this ridiculous getup."

He listened to Freyd as he spoke about what they were supposed to do. "I'm not too familiar with the whole quest. It doesn't seem too hard and I'mt exactly sure why I didn't do it. "He contemplated." Heck.. I'm not even too sure what they even look like. So this will be interesting. Watch me walk right by one and not figure it out. " He mused. They continued to walk toward the are that was designated by Freyd but the question that he posed caught him off guard. He stopped for a moment to let himself gather his thoughts. This would indeed be the first person he would actually speak to about the events other than Lessa. He cleared his throat as he resumed walking but at a slower pace.

"My memories are hazy. I don't really recall anything but patches or broken things. Like I remember Raidou.. but the people around him in my memories are foggy." He tried to contain any other emotion that would leak out." I was gone for a good length of time. Everyone around me moved on.. died.. or.. I don't really know but I just know that time never stopped for everyone. But it stopped for me." It was all he could manage to say for now.

Freyd listened intently, but kept his gaze on the ground ahead of him.  Something had clearly affected Kiluia deeply, whether psychological or otherwise.  He vaguely recalled the earliest days of Aincrad when hundreds of players had temporarily vanished while their real bodies were presumably transferred to medical facilities.  Some of them never returned.  If the AFK timer ran out, the server might have logged them out.  Game over.  Could something similar have affected Kil?

"I went through something similar," he began.  "Except I chose to exile myself in the Town of Beginnings.  I hid, for years, while others worked to save us all."  His voice was steady, which surprised him.  Perhaps he had finally come to terms with his cowardice.  "Whatever happened to you, Kil, the important thing is that you're out here now.  Getting back on your feet is the best thing you can do for yourself."

Two white pulpy masses suddenly burst from the ground before them, each about six feet tall with masses of writhing tentacles.  Two, in particular, carried lethal-looking spikes at their tips.  A flash of white followed an instant after the monsters had cleared the earth.  Freyd's white blade had cleaved both in two before they could act, transforming them into digital paste.  Something else burrowed nearby, alerted by their deaths.

"They look like that," Freyd resumed, taking the conversation in a new direction.  "Go take yours out over there.  I think we each have to earn this separately."  He paused to catch Kil's eyes.  "We'll pick up the other topic afterwards."  Sealing his promise with a nod, he strode purposefully towards the burrowing mass coming at him.

Spoiler

image.png.bfba736c86b19908fb30468b330c089a.png

[Thought each player had to fight separately.  Sought clarification from staff.   Adding attacks for nepents #3 and #4.]

image.png.fedfa8c6428d6d7f4f57a43a11907c59.png

Freyd | HP:420/420 | EN: 34/42 (-9) | DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12 -> rested, trig KEEN 1

Nepent #1 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #2 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #3 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #4 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

His dagger was out as he charged his body toward the Nepent Variant. Blade in hand, his body moved fluidly toward the monster. His right hand began to glow as he dashed to the left of the monster and slammed the dagger several times in the throat like he was stitching  it back up but in reality, he was tearing it apart. With another  fluid movement, he shoved the creature  down. "Bye."

When it was over, he looked like a huge weight had lifted off his shoulders. He searched for the item and found nothing. Damn. "Nothing Freyd. "He frowned. "I am assuming that we need to keep foing this repeatedly. I'm not complaining but I hope you are in it for the long  haul. "He looked at Freyd. " You ask me whatever you want. I wanna make friends." Eyes would  scan the area to look out for more incoming monsters.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200627-015440_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4dd2eeaeb0a2528d96b52efc4e903233.jpg

Nepent Variant | HP: -33/15 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5

LD 12+ Requirement  failed.

Screenshot_20200627-020426_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8df11825cd8b43bce509d172e4e3aaff.jpg

Kiluia Seiko | HP:280/280 | EN:22/28 | DMG:6 | MIT:18 | EVA:1 | ACC:2 | BLD:12 

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

Freyd turned, distracted by Kil's apology, and was about to waive it off when the ground exploded beneath his feet sending him sailing unceremoniously through the air.  A cluster of new nepents had burst up from beneath him.  His face buffered most of the impact as he landed awkwardly about twenty feet away.  He groaned and spared a moment to give Kil a thumbs up, despite being in the middle of literally eating dirt.  

"It's all good!"  He spat out bits of a clod of grass.  "Happens to all of us."  Freyd picked himself up and wheeled to face the nepents that had launch him.  His jaw was set and focused.  "Go, Persi!" A shadowy form leapt from Freyd's back, darting like black lightning between the thing's tentacles.  Two familiar blue slotted eyes were the only indications of its where its head might be.  A few quick strokes later,  only one of them remained.

Spoiler

image.png.a35cb7a07199f7501fb854d084a03813.png

[0] Freyd | HP:420/420  | EN: 25/42 (-9) | DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12 -> rested

Nepent #1 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #2 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #3 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #4 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Watching Freyd do his work was still mesmerizing. He did the majority of the work leaving  Kiluia for the last. A nod was given  to the man as he spoke."Let us make this one count and get this quest done!" His eyes closed as he made way to the last nepent. Dagger came forth and started to glow. His legs exploded from the ground as the power came from  there. A dust storm kicked off from where he was.

The next moment the blue hue from his blade came forth shattering all respective reality. The aftershadow of his blade was seen as he seemed to undo the creatures head separating  it from  its body. He slipped away from the pile of crystals and looked around immediately. "Let us go out and see it there is a ramen shop after  this is done. I kinda want some. With a beerMaybe"

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200627-182958_Chrome.thumb.jpg.089a04dc44220b77277dd74ee01fb60e.jpg

Nepent #3 | HP: 0/7 | DMG: 3

Kiluia | HP: 280/280 | EN 16/28 | DMG:6 | MIT 18 | ACC:2: |BLD:12 |RCY:1

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

A trio of quick slashes brought the mutant nepent down, the last strike neatly slicing the flowery bloom from the top of its bulbous body.   Unfortunately, the item he required didn't drop.  Freyd took a moment to wipe the dirt off his face and clothes as best he could, glancing over in Kil's direction. 

"Sure!  A meal sounds like an excellent plan."

Another wave of four nepents  came at them from the fields, apparently enraged by the fall of their brethren.  

"I wonder if they're incensed by the scent of defeat.  Seems like a feature to be wary of at higher levels.  Start picking them off.  I can try another AoE, which might get the variant lined up perfectly for you."

Damaged goods or not, Freyd admired Kil's determination.  He was hardly a paragon of mental and emotional stability himself.  Accepting Kil made it easier to accept his own flaws, and perhaps one day overcome them.

Spoiler

image.png.d36ae0c3af82f103e4a272596fac0af2.png

[1] Freyd | HP:420/420 | EN: 24/42 (-3 +2) | DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12 -> trig REC 1

Nepent Variant | HP: 0/15 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5

image.png.731547c73c4c41b5303f8adea55b33ce.png

LD 12+ required to find quest item.  Not found.

His eyes looked over at Freyd and a smile crossed his face. The agreement to the food part was making him excited but the fact they were stuck doing this quest was a little crappy. His eyes looked around trying to look for the incoming creatures. It was the sound and no sight of them that made him leery. Dagger was gripped tightly to his chest as he moved himself closer to Freyd. The incoming four creatures would spell disaster for Kiluia as he agreed being the bait to lure them out. A quick motion and he scooped up a stone. He threw it at the sound area he heard and  struck something hard. It was a nepent and the four of them came out after them. Eyes would glance over at Freyd. "I like your plan a lot." It was only for the fact Kil was a single target user and it would be hard for him to fight off 4 of those creatures without having an AOE to fight back.

"You're up, friend!" He would have to consider changing up his abilities as he darted away where he would predict the Variant would appear to do battle with. From here he would be able to watch Freyd work his magic on making those things into a pile of crystals. 

Spoiler

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

A wide horizontal slash from his sword destroyed three of the four incoming nepents, but one turned out to be naturally shorter than the others and scooted under the blade.  It nipped at Freyd's legs ineffectively with its tentacles.  He glowered at it momentarily for its indecent refusal to fall like the rest of its kin.

"Nuts.  Missed one.  Take it out, will ya?  I'll get the variant when it spawns."  He spun, giving the nepent a swift kick to the side of its pulpy torso, doing no damage, but sending it directly into Kil's path.  The other three around him had already burst into digital motes, vanishing as they came in contact with the ground.

Freyd paused to watch Kil do his thing, assessing his new friend's technique and reflexes.  As pathetic as these things were, any targets could be made into good practice.  Hopefully, it would all be over soon anyway.

Spoiler

image.png.0a36288bb724939e80929922a9d87e0a.png

[1] Freyd | HP:419/420 (-1)  | EN: 16/42 (-8) | DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12 

Unexpectedly, he was not ready for that call as he dashed forward. He wanted to try a less costly ability but that was to his own error for trying something new. Trying to use a new skill instead of using something he was well versed with, backfired. He did the motions of attacking and doing the ability, however, it was slower due to him concentrating."Damn it. I wasn't quick enough." The creature sneered and dodged him barely but it was still a miss for him. Kil skidded to a stop before looking at Freyd. " My bad. I'll buy you something good to eat." He sighed as he prepared for the small one to try to attack them again. He waited patiently staring at it. They were not a pretty creature to look at and he wondered why the developer had a bad sense of taste. He could at least add mermaids or something. Nope. Nepents. Ugly Nepents that was easy to kill so it was justifiable that they would be the target of this quest.

Spoiler

image.png.fd963f5a6b1063d446dfb732588cc608.png

Miss. 

Kiluia | HP: 280/280 | EN 14/28 | DMG:6 | MIT 18 | ACC:2: |BLD:12 |RCY:1

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

Freyd swung Forgiven Disobedience wide and high bringing it down trailing wisps of white as it came crashing down upon the poor, doomed nepent.  The thing splattered and shattered into a million pixels. 

"Here comes your next shot."  Freyd pointed over Kil's shoulder to the emerging variant nepent.  "Let's make this count or we'll have to do it all again."

Freyd planted his sword in the ground and stretched his arms.  These low level quests could drag on, but their leisurely pace also made them relaxing.  He was glad to have a bit of time to get to know Kil and help him get his feet back under him.  He seemed almost excessively eager to get on with his cooking, which was both admirable and amusing.  That passion would carry him far.  There was already little difference between them, and whatever might exist would soon be insignificant.

"Get at it!" he called, urging him on.

Spoiler

image.png.fbb0b7cba28d6fd7b2851d59fe42c081.png

[0] Kiluia | HP: 280/280 | EN 14/28 | DMG:6 | MIT 18 | ACC:2: | BLD:12 |RCY:1

[0] Freyd | HP:419/420 | EN: 17/42 (-1 +2) | DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12 

The variant came out to play as he made forth to strike the creature. Hand glowed purple as he looked at his energy watching it dwindle down. Blade came forth and he lunged at the creature trying to strike it. However, the attack missed again barely touching his target. RNG was not on his side as he grumbled cursing his own inability to hit this damn thing. He wasn't about to give up. This quest was denying the both of them the luxury of completing it and he was being made a fool with the RNG. "My bad again. Seems like lady luck has decided that a vacation would be nice now and leave me with nothing. " He sighed as he admitted the luck was crestfallen. His foot kicked up dirt as he was getting slightly more frustrated each time he was missing his attack. However, Freyd would hopefully finish off the creature itself as he shook his head in disappointment. 

Spoiler

image.png.0b2936cae51b6887c300a7731bb25918.png

Nepent Variant | HP: 15/15 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5

Kiluia | HP: 280/280 | EN 12/28 | DMG:6 | MIT 18 | ACC:2: |BLD:12 |RCY:1

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

Freyd's giant sword came flying past Kil's head, spearing the nepent through its midsection and shattering it to pieces in the process.  Freyd was still standing wide-eyes about twenty paces behind him, his hands outstretched.  Wide eyes and a giant goofy grin were plastered on his face.

"Uh... okay.  I didn't really think that would work, but I guess we'll take it."  He laughed at the absurdity of the throw as he went to retrieve his weapon.  "Dang!  No loot, again!"

Waving Kil down for a moment, he suggested that they take a break before the next wave.  "Gather your wits.  We'll get them on the next round."  As annoying as this setback might be, he was actually enjoying himself.  "Now I really want to see which one of us is going to bag this thing first."

Hefting the white blade back onto his shoulder, Freyd got a certain twinkle in his eye.  "Winner buys lunch?"

Spoiler

image.png.382fe5ddc5e3e463a5bc8bf16d72dda8.png

[0] Kiluia | HP: 280/280 | EN 14/28 | DMG:6 | MIT 18 | ACC:2: | BLD:12 |RCY:1

[0] Freyd | HP:419/420 | EN: 15/42 (-3 +1) | DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12 

image.png.9797291b857024dcc5cf597c59a414fe.png

No quest item found.

The words that were spoken to him caused him to crack a smile. The bet was on as he gave a firm nod." I'm down for who buys dinner." He stood up and dusted off his clothing before stretching. "Just give me a second. All this jumping around is wearing me down. Readjusting all these years takes its toll on me." He was still baffled about how he was downgraded. Perhaps it was punishment for leading his fellow friends to almost certain doom.. He spoke over to him." So are you a solo player? I was thinking since we have been doing a few quests together, you may feel comfortable with joining Firm Anima. We could do a variety of quests together if you wish to with Raidou. You already know Eruda. "He offered a slight smile. "Plus I already consider you a friend now, if I may be forward with that statement."

Plant-stuff splattered all over the area as Freyd went full-blender mode on the next batch of nepents.  One still managed to slip past him.  He busied himself by wiping off the pixelating digital guts that were strewn all over his cassock.  At least they disappeared when the mob died, but eww.

"Thanks Kil, for the kind comment and the offer.  I'm glad to consider you a friend too.  As for the guild, it's something I promise to consider.  Raidou and Eruda seem like good people too.  I don't know.  Maybe it is time that I start thinking about it.  I'll have to learn to work better in groups if I ever want to make the front lines."

The last nepent was toddling along on its way towards Kil, having already failed its attack against Freyd.  The poor, stupid thing was bound for its doom and didn't seem to realize it.  

Spoiler

image.png.b7d5136ea078d41c48648275f35caa9f.png

[1] Freyd | HP:419/420 | EN: 9/42  (-8 +2)| DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12  -> trig Rec 1, trig Savvy 1

"Great I would love to fight side by side with you, man." He grinned  as he looked at the nepent. His dashed forward at lightning speed toward the nepent. A dust storm kicked up around the creature that didn't exist a second ago. While the creature was enveloped in the dust storm, his dagger glowed yellow causing a streak in the middle of the miniature storm. His dagger struck twice in the throat of the creature and into its lower spinal column. As the storm subsided, the creature stood there for a moment before shattering into its crystals. He was okay with doing this as it became training. Eyes looked up to the left corner of his HUD and he became slightly concerned about his energy. He didn't pack anything that would let him replenish it." Hopefully we can finish this off." He stood beside Freyd looking around for the creature to spawn. (-2 Energy)

Spoiler

image.png.07dfeeeb265838dae78c8483c2d747e0.png

Nepent #3 0/7 HP DMG: 3

Kiluia | HP: 280/280 | EN 10/28 | DMG:6 | MIT 18 | ACC:2: |BLD:12 |RCY:1

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

The variant practically materialized around Freyd's sword, dying ignominiously a fraction of a second later.  Once again, fate toyed with them.

"Okay!  It's officially break time."  Freyd unceremoniously plopped himself down on the grass, his arms splayed out in a wide stretch.  "We've been at this for a few waves.  Let's catch our breath for a moment and recover, or we'll be taking on nepents with basic attacks."  Persi, who had been playfully chasing raining pixels for the last twenty minutes instantly pounced and nestled herself on Freyd's stomach.

*OOF*

"Easy there, girl!"

Just as a cat might, she circled a spot directly above his belly button, kneeding at his black cassock with her claws before settling herself comfortable under the sun.

"I don't think you two have officially met yet.  Persi, Kiluia.  Kiluia, her illustrious majesty and the shining jewel in the darkness, the lady 'Persistence' of the blue shadow mongooses."  A vivid pair of lightning blue eyes opened from the mass of twisting shadows resting on Freyd's chest.  They looked up at Kil, then proceeded to lick one of its shadowy paws.  "Or, just Persi, if you prefer."

Spoiler

image.png.706124830a0e645c664527cf8a735880.png

Freyd | HP:419/420 | EN: 7/42  (-3 +1)| DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12 

image.png.b966555d2ba997d74c7f386bff325340.png

He laughed as he sat down beside him looking at the mongoose. He had never seen a mongoose up close in real life so seeing one here was still just as interesting as it should be. Amber eyes followed the small creature and nodded."What an interesting familiar. Nice to meet you, Persi." From what he knew, mongoose were relatively strong with a hatred of snakes just as strong as it was. He took a big breath and then fell backwards in a laying position. Eyes looked up at the sky as they took their break.

"Seems like it is toying with us. Maybe if I pray hard enough, it'll do something. "He couldn't help but laugh as if wondering someone was actually listening to their conversation about the prayer of RNG. He shook his head slightly." I might redo some equipment. Maybe get a trinket that allows me to increase more accuracy." He looked at the mongoose again." I wanna get a familiar that is as cool as that."

Edited by Kiluia Seiko