PP-F1) Stronger every day (Nathan, Brax)

Jonathan woke up to sunlight in his face. He had a great time. Now Jonathan was actually level two and could do stuff. He wanted ti test it out. Jonathan  opened his HUD and went to the messaging. He began to send a message to Nathan and Brax. 

To: Creius, Brax

hey guys I had a great time yesterday and I was wondering if we could go fight out again. If you can meet me at Taki's for a bite of breakfast, she usually lets me eat free. I did her a couple favors.... Taki's is to the North of the fountain in the center of town. 

Jonathan hit send and began to head off toward Taki's. Jonathan equipped his blade and got to the Fountain and North. He waited out of the shop for the time being. 

Having had a long day of training, Brax was relatively intrigued that he awoke the next day refreshed and, dare he say, energized.  Part of it probably was the fact that he was used to waking up early, if only because the only way to get a decent breakfast at the hospital was to be there when they opened up; the other reason had to do with those two guys he had met yesterday.  He had seen the message Nathan had sent earlier, while he had been eating his morning meal.  Accessing his own messaging system, he typed out his return reply:

To: Morgenstern

Very well.  I apologize, but I was already awake and am I the middle of my meal now; however, I can meet you when I'm finished.  I certainly don't mind waiting while the two of you finish a free meal.  Thank you, and I will be there soon.

As he donned his gear in the room he had rented, he silently thought, 'I wonder what sort of adventure the boy has in mind.  I pray it is nothing too dangerous.  It would not do well to lose anyone on our second day here.'  With that final musing, he began to make his way to Fountain and North, to the place known as Taki's.

When they had gone their separate ways the night before Nathan had headed off to his usual sleeping spot out in the middle of the town. The quiet noises of the still town helped him sleep deeply and completely recover from the excitement of the prior day. When he woke up he stretched a bit and wondered what he would do today. No thoughts of partying up really came to mind. Sure, that small bit of adventuring had been nice but he didn't usually partake in group questing or farming. Never had been his style. However, when Jonathan's message came in Nathan couldn't help but want to go. He felt a little better about partying with the two of them, but not too much better. He wasn't willing to open up or anything, merely give it another go. That was more than other games partying could say. He opened his social tab and went to reply to Jonathan.

To: Morgenstar

Sounds good, I'm on my way then. Be there in a few minutes.

He hit send, keeping the message brief so he could arrive there quickly. Free meals were always nice, especially since he usually didn't have the Col to afford one in the first place. He began running down the roads towards the northern part of the town, quickly passing the fountain and arrived at an eating house that was labelled Taki's. He opened the door and entered, looking around for signs of either Jonathan or Brax.

OOC: Morgenstern- The Morning Star not Morgenstar XD

Jonathan sat and waited when he seen Nathan walk straight past him. Jonathan grabbed his stuff and headed out coming up behind him, and then in front. He grinned at Nathan before coming up to the desk in front and said, "Table for three please, the third will be here in a minutes or so and goes by the name of Brax...." The lady looked up at him and said, "Who will I be making this" She looked up and stopped talking. "Right this way Jonathan" The waitress sat them down and said, "What would you like to drink?" Jonathan looked up to the girl and said, "Water please." His attention reverted back to Nathan.

"So, Are you ready to level up some more.... Brax is Joining as well but we won't rely on him to kill a standard boar for us. Jonathan grinned once the waitress came by again. What would you like to eat darlings? We have almost any food imaginable.... Just not fish. The waitress shivered at the word fish. Jonathan looked at the waitress and said, "I will go with an omelet with toast on the side. Jonathan looked back to Nathan and said, "be very specific with in detail. Last time I did not say on the side, so I got my toast inside the omelet. 

As Brax walked the streets of Starting City, he could swear he felt his ears burning, 'A response to someone talking of me, no doubt,' and picked up the pace.  While he may not have needed the sustenance of the meal, he did need the sustenance of the conversation that would inevitably arise from the communion between the three adventurers.  The heat, the cold, and the void, to describe the situation theatrically; the combination would be...fascinating, to say the least.  Soon, Brax could see the restaurant and inn from a distance.

Nathan, upon entering the restaurant, was already lost at the front desk. He wasn't used to actually ordering a meal from something so... real. Then he saw someone passed him and nodded to the smiling acquaintance of his. He watched as Jonathan requested a table and followed him and the waitress to said table, taking one of the seats facing the door. Now that he was sitting his next reaction was to go get some bread and water from his inventory and begin eating. However, the waitress apparently had a different idea. "Oh... Um.. I'll have some water too.. and.." He tried to think of something that he would usually have had for breakfast back at home and took Jonathan's advice to be specific. "Give me some eggs, over easy, with some bacon on the side." Yeah, that was a suitable enough breakfast. When the waitress scurried off with their orders he turned to Jonathan. His interest was a bit peaked and he hoped to start soon. Maybe he'd found a group he could actually stick with for once. It all depended on how the next few adventures went of course, and that was if he survived them "Yeah, I'm about as ready as I'll ever be. What were you thinking of for an adventure?" Boar farming sounded like that would be smart for low level players like the three of them so he didn't think it wise to complain about the lack of variety in the farming. That was just a part of any MMO, it was crucial you farmed early to get you started off well.

Jonathan listened in as Nathan ordered some food. He liked Eggs and Bacon. Jonathan loved bacon but it usually did not agree with him. Jonathan turned to the sound of Nathan's voice which was asking him what they were going to do.  "I figured we could do some farming, and now that we actually have skills and know what to do, as well as have a good team that can take their damage we can farm materials and col as getting more experience." Jonathan watched as the Waitress returned with two plates of food and two waters, placing their orders in front of them. "Enjoy your meal" The woman said as she winked. Jonathan looked at Nathan and said "Fode". Jonathan knew that Nathan had probably never learned the language. 

Brax opened the door to the restaurant, and was immediately bombarded by the very strong smells of food, real food, like he hadn't had in months.  The hospital he had been staying at served cafeteria food, not the worst but certainly not the best.  While he did not necessarily feel disgust, his usual sense of satisfaction tended to die Hisoff whenever he consumed a meal there.  When Randi had first bought a burger combo for him, he thought he'd had an epiphany, the food being so different than was he was used to.  Not even the simple meal he ate at the inn he resided in for the moment smelled like this.    His interest was piqued, insofar as to what the difference might have been, was code was in play here to make it feel so...real.  He allowed his obsession to indulge just a moment longer, then shaking his head, he looked around for his fellow party members from before.  He noticed them only after he heard a loud voice saying, "Fode."   He walked over, asking the waitress at the counter if he could get a cup of coffee and a glass of water.  "Good morning, gentlemen.  I trust you have not been waiting long?"

Nathan nodded as Jonathan suggested just more farming. That was what beginners did and as much as he might dislike it at the moment, he was a beginner. Plus, farming some materials sounded appealing. Materials meant crafting and crafting meant more Col and more Col meant more items and more items meant getting stronger faster. That was how all MMO's worked and he knew following the system was the best way to go. Even if MMO was a 3D virtual reality it was still in essence an MMO. When the waitress brought out there food he smelled the delicious sent of bacon and felt his stomach rumble loudly. His eyes widened slightly at the sound. He hadn't had a real meal at all while he had been in the game, gaining in-game sustenance from the provided bread and water to every beginner. He had to restrain from digging into his food immediately upon it being set down. "Yeah, farming is probably the best option right now. We could probably talk about professions once Brax gets here. If we plan to be working together for a while then we might want to go ahead and start planning ahead. Assign roles and the such." It was a bit of a step for him but he wanted to give it a try. He wasn't used to working with other people but he knew he couldn't beat this game on his own so he had to rely on, in some way, other players. Whatever language it was Jonathan uttered Nathan didn't recognize but the food was there and he took it as an invitation to eat. He picked up a piece of bacon and tried to restrain his eating but he ended up finishing the plate fairly quickly anyways. He finished his plate just as Brax walked up to the table, an indication of how much he liked the food, and looked up at Brax. "Oh, no. Not terribly long at all. Just a few minutes in fact. Go on and sit." He pushed the now empty plate away and sipped tentatively at the glass of water. He was a bit surprised by how real the food had tasted, just another indicator of how scarily real this world was. It seemed so easy to get caught in the reality.

Jonathan listed as Nathan agreed with him when it came to leveling up and earning col, and then he wanted to talk about professions. Jonathan knew exactly what he had in mind. Blacksmith. Jonathan watched as Brax finally managed to join them. "I presume your food was well, Brax?" Jonathan after awaiting his answer then said, "Now, I think that we are all stronger now and able to  handle ourselves, that we go and farm boars for material anc col and without the fear of death nagging us the whole way." Jonathan began to eat more of his food enjoying its wonderful taste. He knew that even Brax must like the idea of farming. 

Brax did appreciate the values behind more farming.  To get in some practice time against the enemies in the area, as well as the chance to learn more about the two boys at the table, it sounded like a worthwhile experience.  However, he also knew that given the levels on them, the first thing the would need to do was find them slightly better gear, even if he had to pay for the first of it himself.  Taking thte offered seat, Brax said, "Actually, I cannot lie, my meager meal at the inn was nothing compared to the spread here.  Thank you," he said to the girl who had just brought his drinks.  Taking a drink from both, he spoke again, "perhaps I should have waited, though that isn't important now.  What is important is our next step.  Whilst I agree with your idea, there is another, far more critical matter at hand: the state of our gear.  It is one thing to go out and fight, it is another thing to survive.  I am not overly rich in aquired mats, but I should have enough that if we were to find a decent shop I could purchase a piece for each of you, some armor or a weapon, preferably something to mitigate damage.  Does that sound acceptable?"

He laughed a little as Brax admitted how meager his food had been compared to theirs. Not that he could say much, prior to this his only in-game sustenance had been bread and water. He sipped the rest of the water while Brax continued on to explain what he thought was a critical next step. He wondered at first what could possibly trump farming and then heard the mention of better equipment. He thought back to when he had checked his inventory last night. He didn't exactly have much in the way of Col so he doubted he could afford anything. None of them had a profession to go and make themselves armour or weapons, hence why he had brought up professions with Jonathan. He frowned slightly as he wondered what he would do. Then Brax offered to buy the equipment for them. His mind violently objected to this. To put yourself in someone else's debt could prove suicidal screamed his mind at him. However, he knew the odds of advancing without something better were slim. He deliberated over the matter a bit after Brax asked if the plan were acceptable. "In all honesty, I would rather have you buy my equipment. I would like to obtain it from my own means... However, I can't deny the need for something that would actually protect me..." He shook his head, not wanting to admit that he needed someone else to buy his equipment for him. That seemed demeaning to him and he couldn't really stand the thought. "okayit'sprobablywisestthatyoubuyussomething" Everything came out quietly and quickly, Nathan regretting the words as they slipped over his tongue. Immediately he wished he could take them back but knew subconsciously that it was a bit necessary to continue.

Jonathan listened in on as Brax began to talk of advancing. He said farming was good but they needed gear to be able to survive. Jonathan understood that. They needed to be able to take more damage then what they were already doing. Jonathan completely finished his food and pushed it forward. Jonathan knew to be able to go on his own he would need gear. Jonathan could make a blade for each one of them once he was made a blacksmith. "When I get a profession I will return the favor if you get me armor for now. Then I will eventually end up going to a tailor and get my perfect armor. You can have your weapon how you want it and I get protection for now. Also, since Christmas is coming up I might make a rapier for someone... not gonna say who.... Jonathan glanced over at Nathan. 

He had expected the responses both boys provided, but not the reactions.  While Nathan looked positively sick from the offer, Jonathan had kept a level head, clearly turning over in his mind the logistics of the chance, and had offered a decent compromise.  "An agreeable compromise, Jonathan.  I assume, then, you are in search of light armor as your protection of choice?  If so, we may have a problem.  The best tailor in the game is up on the 5th floor; I scanned through the merchant's list last night, visited a few shops on my own, and looked at pricing guides, as well.  While the best resides on the 5th floor, her prices are...relatively unkind to outsiders.  We could put in an order down here for something, but that would take time, unless you are willing to wait, which I would not consider unacceptable.  As for you, Nathan, do you also wish for lighter pieces, or are you planning on wearing something heavier?  If either of you don't mind wearing something a bit more substantial, something like what I have, I have heard of a smith known as Forged By The Sun, also on the 5th, who might carry some mitigation gear, at a fair price, no less.  I leave the decision in your hands, gentlemen.  What would you like to do?"  He watched both faces carefully, especially Nathan, for their choice.

Nathan closed his eyes, thoughts flying through his head as he considered how he could get out of a debt like this. He wasn't by any means in a position to where he could pay off Brax soon. When Jonathan said he would smith something for Brax, and possibly him, Nathan crossed that profession out. He knew of the various professions in the game and, depending on what Brax was thinking of choosing, he would decide on one. However, he didn't know how soon he would be acquiring said profession so that meant he didn't know how long he would be indebted to Brax for buying his armour. When Brax directed the question of what was wanted towards Nathan the thoughts ceased to fly by. "Um, light armour is probably best. The rapier relies on speed a bit too much for me to go and put on full plate armour... Is there any way I can repay you?.." He didn't know of any way he could pay him on the spot. He lacked Col and materials and equipment, all of which were the key elements of the SAO player's life. The thought of being in debt was appalling. Debts tended to ruin people in his experience so being in that position made his mind cringe ever so slightly. "..Anything will do, but I really don't want to accept such a gift without compensating in some way. It wouldn't be proper." Nor would it sit well with him but that was just his personal thinking. He didn't know of any way he could pay except waiting until he had a profession like Jonathan said he would.

Jonathan listened as Nathan took light armor. Now it was probably his turn to choose. Jonathan thought for a moment. This armor was going to be temporary so he was probably going to take the light armor for what he had in mind. Light armor that would mitigate some damage to lessen the chances of dying. After he had a bit he was going to go to a taylor and get some gear that would suit him so light armor would be best. "Yes, I agree as well. I will take light armor to mitigate some damage if that is okay with you. Now with the matter at hand, I say we each go and fight some of our own boars so we can reap each individual reward. Means we will fight near each other, but we fight our own boars so we can all get the loot." Jonathan looked back to Nathan. He seemed possibly a bit troubled. 

'So, they both want light armor.  Unfortunate, but not unexpected,' thought Brax, as he contemplated both of their comments.  'Since the tailors on the first few floors are so expensive, it may be better to find a Quest that can give a reward of armor.  Yes, that sounds quite good.'  "Very well, looking at your choice of weapons, I half expected you to want a lighter set of gear.  However, as I said before, the tailors I have heard of are either too expensive for my current funds, or will not have your gear ready in time for us to continue our partying for now.  So hunting it is, though as far as the hunting spot is concerned, I have another idea."  Turning to Nathan and looking straight into his eyes, Brax said, "From the look on your face, Nathan, while you may have agreed to accept my help, you don't seem particularly happy with it.  Perhaps it's because you don't trust me, which is perfectly fine, or maybe you would prefer not to be in my debt, which also is fine."  Brax then addressed the both of them, "Therefore, my hunting proposal is this: I have heard of a quest from an NPC blacksmith couple by the names of Griswold and Hanna, on the 3rd floor.  If we can gather materials from a certain enemy there, they will forge a set of armor of your choice for free.  I know that I am strong enough to take the hits and defeat something on the third floor, and if you are willing to accompany me, we can collect the materials together and have it forged for the both of you.  That way, you can feel as though you are still involved in the act, and not necessarily feel as much obligation."  He paused for a moment to let the idea sink in.  Continuing on, he lowered his voice slightly and pouring sensitivity into his words, he said, "If it makes you uncomfortable to accept my handout, then please allow me to stand in front of you, at least for a time, so that you may become stronger and, in the future, stand either on your own, or beside others."  He objectively knew it was wrong to appeal to their more sensitive sides;  Brax would have preferred to have them accept his plainly offered gift, heavy or not.  But, after having seen the distrust in both of their eyes, and after his extensive research into not only his own psychological issues, but many others, he knew that the concept of self sacrifice would melt the iciest of natures.  "And as for payment," Brax said, offering up a small smile he knew would affect even the most hardened of hearts, "the only thing I require, for the moment, is the opportunity to continue adventuring with you both, for as long as is necessary, for all of us."

Edited by Brax

So it would be quite expensive to get their sets of armour which is what he had feared would be the case and Nathan seemed to have caught on to what was really bothering Nathan. He wasn't too sure he wanted to be ridiculously indebted to Brax, even if he wanted to trust him on some level. He'd seen just as many people get hurt by owing a favour as war had. He didn't want that to go and ruin what was building between the three of them and he felt that it would bother him. However, the opportunity of the quest that Brax mentioned seemed perfect. If he did some work towards obtaining the armour then he wouldn't let it bother him as much. He'd make it up to Nathan later but as long as it wasn't a complete handout he wouldn't mind. He began nodding slowly as Brax described the quest and how it would mitigate how much obligation they would feel. A chance like this to get some armour he could have work just for him, that was just too good to pass up. When Brax began playing the affectionate and caring speech Nathan's mind began roaring in objection. Why would he be trying so hard to convince them? He didn't have much to gain from helping them out yet he was willing to dole out some Col just to gear them up. Nathan tried his best to quiet that part of his mind, wanting to trust Brax and his intentions, but it still roared at the back of his mind. He listened as Brax made his one request and watched his eyes, looking for any reason why this would be false. After a few moments Nathan nodded once more. "Okay, I can do that. Not only will I agree to this quest but I will also agree to future adventuring if Jonathan is fine with that.  I'll pay the rest back one day though for help on the quest. Mmm..." Nathan looked at Jonathan, obviously thinking about something. "If Jonathan is wanting to be a blacksmith, what are you wishing to be? If at all possible I would like to contribute something the two of you couldn't get. It wouldn't make sense for me to start making rapiers and axes when Jonathan could do the same exact thing." He'd wanted to talk about this, especially if they were going to be adventuring into the foreseeable future. It made sense to plan ahead, it ensured their best chance of survival if they knew what their goals were. Plus, he wanted to know what he could do for these two. They'd been helping him this entire time and all he had done was suspect them of treachery occasionally. He owed them anyways and he was intent on paying back for their companionship in whatever way he could.

Jonathan listened carefully as Brax explained another option. A quest that would pretty much give them their armor which was on the third floor. Brax had promised them protection with it. It was a fair decision. As much as Jonathan did not want to go to the third floor right now, he really needed armor. Then here came Brax's price. To adventure with them for as long as necessary. That's it. Jonathan had chosen. "I accept the quest idea and can easily pay back that. In that case I say we should train extra hard today to have more chances of survival." survival was key in this area. Jonathan equipped his beginner blade, thinking further discussion over, and looked at the counter smiled at Taki who smiled back and walked out the door to wait for the other two. 

'Hmm, a miscalculation on my part.  I suppose further discussion IS pointless,' mused Brax to himself.  'I suppose now it will be actions, not words, that will prove to them that even a robot such as I can be trusted.'  "My profession?  I hadn't given it much thought.  Personally, I would prefer to be out in the field.  Gathering materials could be considered a job, so I suppose for the moment I would pick hunting and gathering.  As a suggestion?  I would chose either a tailor, as the only other shops are either too expensive, or in a PK area, or a foodstuffs merchant, like cooking or fishing, as there are not many of them out there."  He watched Morganstern leave, and completed his speech:  "So be it, then.  To the fields for training."  Finishing the last of his coffee, Brax rose to join Morganstern outside.  He made sure to bow to the proprietor, Taki, in thanks for the hospitality, and walked outside.  He supposed that the way Jonathan had spoken as he left could have been considered rude and abrupt, but Brax disregarded the notion, believing instead his words that he wanted to continue their training, accepting that as motivation for his quick departure, as well as his more volatile nature in comparison to the two boys.

Edited by Brax