PP-F2 - Social Necessities, or The Hunt for a Friend <<Feeding the Enemy>> (Teayre)

As Brax pondered these new revelations firing through his brain, he could not help but feel the need to confide in someone.  As Dr. Rosenhall had repeatedly told him, when a breakthrough came, the best thing to do was share it with someone, preferably someone who could both understand and help process the situation properly.  While Jonathan and Nathan were decent individuals to quest with, Brax did recognize that the boys seemed to lack a certain amount of empathy, not that he himself had any to speak of.  He had heard of a quest, however, that provided a familiar in-game.  Brax had seen many other players with canines, felines, birds and all manner of friendly creatures by their sides; perhaps a companion of that sort would provide what he was seeking.  Maybe not exactly what he needed, namely a person to speak to, but a friendly ear to bend when a sounding board was required.  'Yes, that seems quite acceptable.'  Abandoning his meditation for now, he made his way back to Urbus, looking for the quest board in order to undertake the adventure.

Teayre had made her way back down to the second floor, the towers of the gothic town of Uburus stretching high on the horizon. Her wavy crimson hair fell down over her should that rested against the tree as the sky started to slowly change to a blood orange. Smirking she kept her left wrist resting on the Muramasa’s scabbard holder as she slowly looked around. “How long has it been since… I don’t know… It’s been a while… Too long maybe?” Her thoughts continued round and round in a circle as a tear began to roll down her cheek.

Suddenly jumping up the girl whipped around as a crunch sounded behind her. Straining her eyes in the dim light of the trees, swirling black shapes are all that greet her. A low growl comes from behind her and Teayre spins, the muramasa whipping out just as jaws clamp down around her left arm. Grinning her weapon glowing silver as it cuts vertically upwards knocking the wolf high into the air as it spins. Sheathing her weapon in the same movement she leans back against the tree watching several players come out of the trees nearby her and run past glancing over their shoulders at her.

ID: 42868 BD: 9 (6 + 3 ACC) CD: 6  MD: 9 (Nat)

Teayre: 152/153 (6+1 Crit-25 MIT) = 1 DMG
  Energy: 33/37 (4 Used)

Wolf: 1/11 (13 - 3MIT) = 10DMG (Stunned 1 Turn)

Edited by Teayre

After picking up the required quest, as well as some common foodstuffs required to entice the creature into joining him, Brax now had two important questions to answer: where did he want to go in order to find a familiar, and which one did he want?  'I imagine it would be best to remain in an area I can reasonably protect myself, so that rules out any floor above three.  In addition, since floor three is populated by humanoid elves, the size of which exceeds quest parameters, one can only expect to look through floors one or two for such a companion.  Lastly, since there seems to be a decided lack of variety in floor one monsters, the only logical conclusion is to search my current floor.'  He began to exit the town, having come to a decision.  'As to the matter of which one to choose, I suppose I will make that choice when the opportunity presents itself.  I do have to wonder, if the creature can provide the solace I seek.  Is the companion AI advanced enough to satisfy my needs?  I imagine we will find out.'

Exiting the town and leaving the towering spires of Urbus behind, Brax entered the forest with his mission in mind.  A few players had entered the towering mass of trees before him, their movements imbued with an indecipherable purpose, possibly a desire for questing or battle guiding their feet.  He wondered at the feelings behind their visages, briefly halting his steps to ponder.  Were they happy, excited to be out adventuring?  Were they scared, masking their fear with false joy?  Was it anxiety etched into their eyes, nervousness at an upcoming battle?  Moments like this drove his thoughts inward, to the harsh reality of his condition, of his Alexithymia and the lack of emotional references it provided him, it's inability to provide him a frame to contextualize the feelings of those surrounding him.  He banished those thoughts, however.  This was not the time to indulge.  Not until he had someone, or something, to share it with.  Which returned him to the here and now, his Quest.

He noticed the players turn back a moment, and followed their gaze to a petite crimson-haired woman leaning against one of the trees populating the area.  She looked familiar for some reason, and he recalled his recent journey to the 13th floor, one of few he took outside of his comfort zone in search of better gear.  'Teayre,' he thought, 'that was her name.  Seems rather odd for her to be on such a low floor.'  He stood still for a moment, contemplating the chance encounter.

Teayre sighed as the players continued fleeing her eyes following the wolf as it landed nearby a vaguely familiar figure. Her eyes flicked around and saw more wolves slinking out of the trees and charging towards Brax. Batting her eyelids the crimson maiden sails forwards her <Charge> skill activating as she emits one large slash in front of her. A loud bang emitted as the muramasa slid straight back home. The four wolves that had been around burst into pixels as their jaws were about to clamp down onto Brax.

Meeting his eyes she smiles, one of the man’s eyebrows had raised as he looked at the party that ran off into the distance. “Watch yourself. It wouldn’t do good to die here.” Offering a hand to him, she shows him a small smile. “Can’t say I blame them, seeing a player killer on the lower floors. They’re bound to be scared.” Leaning against a tree she looks him up and down. “So what’re you doing out this way Brax? How’re the items serving you?

ID: 42960 BD: 8 (5 + 3 ACC) CD: LD: 19 MD: 10

Teayre: 152/153 (6+1 Crit-25 MIT) = 1 DMG
  Energy: 33/37 (4 Used)

DEAD Wolf: -9/11 (13 - 3MIT) = 10DMG 
DEAD Wolf: -2/12 (13 + 4 Charge - 3 MIT) = 14 DMG

Edited by Teayre

ID 42982

LD 13

'My goodness, her speed is astounding,' was the first thought that crossed Brax's mind.  One moment he was casually thinking about why this woman was here, and the next, she stood before him, sheathing her blade as pixels evaporated around him, the remains of several wolves he had not seen approaching.  'The power of a high level player, indeed.  Though, that speed seems...supernatural, at the very least.'  Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, and expending a look around to see if her kills had produced anything valuable, he continued, 'Never mind, on to more important matters.  Grab her hand, shake it once, thank her for the save.'

Employing his training, he did as his mind suggested.  Grasping her daintily proffered hand, he looked her in the eye and shook once, saying "Many thanks, dear.  My thoughts are far afield, and as such, were unable to warn me of the danger.  Unfortunate, but not surprising, given the weight I currently bear."  Looking after the fleeing party, Brax continued: "I believe your...display...inspired more fear than awe in their ranks."  Hearing her response, and her allusion to her PK status, he shook his head in agreement.  He recalled her orange marker, and the foreboding nature of the village she called home.  If one could feel fear, these things would most definitely inspire it.

As she backed away and leaned against a nearby tree, she questioned his motives for traveling the forest today.  In his usually blunt manner, he said, "I am in search of a friend, so to speak.  My mind is full of questions, and I need someone to share them with.  Given my current training schedule, however, I spend more time out here than in town, and rarely is there a moment to commiserate on personal issues when fighting for your life.  As such, I decided to undertake the quest to find a familiar.  While it may not be quite what I need, I believe it will serve adequately enough.  As far as your charms, they have serviced my needs well.  The Epitaph, especially, has invigorated my limbs.  I have most definitely noticed a change in my movements, a greater fluidity to my battle skills.  The rumors I had heard of your skills were well founded."  He eyed the crimson killer, and leveled a question her way, "It does seem strange, to see one as strong as you on this floor.  What is your reason for being here?"

Teayre’s eyebrow raised as Brax mentioned a burden, nodding slowly along to what he was saying. “The weight he bears? I wonder how much trouble he has had in his past.” Turning her head several times the red head looks around checking the murk underneath the trees, a roar emanates from deep within the treeline. Perfectly timed right after Brax’s sentences sighing she starts to walk away from the tree line grabbing the six foot’s shoulder tugging him gently. “Good I’m glad they’re serving you well, those aren’t my best items but they are solid ones.”

"It does seem strange, to see one as strong as you on this floor.  What is your reason for being here?"

Her feet stopped moving as the question echoed in her mind, why was she here? Her gaze looked across the fields and into the distance where the sun was settling just behind one of the highest mountains on this floor. The mountain that held the High Fields of Crossing. Setting her jaw Teayre swallows taking several moments before replying to her acquaintance. “The past, the present and the future. Those are my reasons.”

Walking down the trail path that lead towards Uburus, the red head’s fingers constantly drum on the hilt of the muramasa. “So you’re looking for a familiar, well there’s eagles on this floor. That’s where I got my familiar from before he was killed by a quest boss. There’s also a couple of caves at the base of the mountains where you may find some other kinds of creatures, it depends what you’d like really.” She begins to prattle pausing for a moment she glances over her shoulder to make sure Brax follows her. “You’ll need to make sure you get a good one, not one that’s a puppy dog to follow you around but on that can actually aid you in your fights or when searching for items.”

ID 43447

LD 5

Despite her orange cursor, Brax felt relatively secure in her presence.  When looking into her eyes, though he would admit freely his lack of expertise in understanding the emotions of others, he saw mischief, not malice, and perhaps a weary weight upon her slim shoulders.  It echoed in the tone of her voice, when she responded to his questioning on her reasons for a sojourn on floor two.  As she did not seem open to sharing, he did not pursue the inquiry, disregarding his inquisitive nature.  'A thread to be pulled at later, maybe.'  In the meantime, her slightly on edge behavior, as well as the rambling nature of her speech pattern, suggested she wished to remain in motion, most likely back to town.

As logical as her actions may have been, he knew that to return to town would be antithetical to his quest.  He was in search of a familiar, and one would not be found in a city.  He shared as much to the crimson haired maiden: "Your words have merit.  It would be of no benefit to have something to share my troubles with only to have it be unable to assist me in other aspects of my existence here.  I thank you for your informative assistance."  Bowing slightly, Brax took one last look around the area for anything, and said, "It is unfortunate that you are returning to town, as I would like to continue our conversation, and I imagine your help in this instance would be invaluable.  Be that as it may, I shall not delay you any longer.  Farewell, shopkeeper, until we meet again."

Listening to Brax Teayre let out a long laugh. “Returning to Town? Come on Brax do be serious. If I wanted to go into any town or safe zone I’ll have to go to the first floor and complete the Redemption quest.” Shaking her head whilst she pressed her left hand to her forehead, the red head stops looking at the man. “There’s more mobs this way, a wider variety to, around the base of one of the mountains. What sort of animal are you look for?” Teayre turned without waiting for the answer waving a hand, beckoning Brax to follow her.

“It’ll be good to see my familiar’s home again. Where he was born.” She mused quietly, calling back to the armoured man. “I’m presuming you have the food you need to tame your familiar? If not we can gather it along the way or kill if it’s meat that you need.” Musing her left hand moved up to fiddle with the small silver necklace that dangled from her neck. “Do you need someone to show you the basics of this game Brax? Give you a helping hand to get you started?” She had stopped now, her movement much slower, much more precise. They gave off an air of grace that had not been there before, breathing slowly she met his eyes, her own becoming like a hawks. "There's a few simple things you seem to have missed, after we have got your familiar I know of a few other quests we can do if you would like to?"

ID 43468

LD 1

Brax fell in step with the crimson killer, chastising himself for the blunder.  'Of course, she can't enter a town.  I even made notice of her status when referring to the other people running away.  It seems my knowledge is lacking, most severely.'  His training in the wilds had prepped him for battle, and his interactions with NPCs in town had gotten him his equipment, but his social skills, and by extension, his player status interactions, were woefully inadequate.  He mentioned as much, "Indeed, how foolish of me to forget.  Your status prevents you from seeking shelter in town.  Certain social interactions escape me at times, including your orange cursor.  As to the familiar, to be honest, I have little desire for a specific animal, thus I suppose I must defer to your judgment.  They don't allow pets at the facility, and there has been no indication I formerly owned one.  As such, I simply am hunting for a companion, no matter the type."

He heard her mention her old familiar again, and his mind returned to his previous line of thought, 'Past, present, future.  I imagine this floor holds more than it's fair share of memories for her, the dead familiar being one of them.'  He watched her hawkish gaze, and said, "I bought bread, which was easily obtained, but I suppose if we find a meat eater, hunting will be required."  Hearing the young girl ask about his in game knowledge, and how she could help him, brought a small smile to his lips.  'Such a young girl, no, a young woman, and she offers me help.  Weighed down with her obvious baggage, and still she offers assistance.  A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.  I suppose I will need every bit of help possible, since I seem to be lacking communicatively.'  Responding back, he said, "Yes, I believe I will need some assistance.  I have engaged in battle, and bought my gear, but certain things here are...confusing.  I would be...I believe the term is 'grateful'...for whatever help you have to offer.  It will be nice to interact with 'normal' people for a change."

"To change the subject, if you do not mind, I have a question," he asked, not knowing that he was opening up a painful subject, "what was your familiar like?  Perhaps if you shared your experience, I might make a better decision with mine."

Edited by Brax

OC: Want me to give you a heads up when to roll for your familiar as you can only do it every 15 posts?

IC:

Offering a small smile to Brax as he stepped in-line with her. Raising an eyebrow at him as he mentioned something painfully obvious. Wincing as if she had been dealt a heavy blow. “Shelter in a town is a misconception. There is still sleep pking which can be done. Not to mention… Social etiquette.” Pausing for a moment she looks up to see a small duet of birds flutter past in the canopy, “It’s nice to be out in the quiet some times. Besides even before I was a player killer I spent the majority of my time outside of safe zones.”

Nodding her eyes staying steady as Brax recounted what type of familiar he would like. “You seem like the person who needs to know more about themselves or to open up.” Scratching her head she slips her hand into her coat pocket. Letting out a small sigh, “The familiar they become more than that, they are a friend, your constant companion. They learn all your shortcomings and failings as well as your strengths.”

As Brax accepted her offer for assistance the red head couldn’t help but laugh. “Normal people? You must be mistaken Brax, no one is normal. Everyone is more unique, some are just quirkier than other. Some are just… Some don’t deserve to live.” Her voice went quiet, her eyes flicked up to her cursor as her hand tightened into a ball. “My familiar? He was a majestic eagle, snow white plumage and as annoying and loveable as one could imagine. Until he was crushed on the fourth floor by the quest boss Avalanche… I visit him regularly now.”

OOC I think I will be able to remember, I just want to get a good roll, something 19 and up :), so I will roll my posts till I get there, roleplaying in something to work with the LD role legitimately until it's time, unless you think that's "cheating", if so I can certainly play more by the rules

ID 43558

Brax listened to her navigate her way around his awkward social bombs, unaware of how painful it could be.  He "Hmmmmed" as she shared a little about open spaces and quiet reflection.  He certainly understood the need to have a large enough area to probosculate on one's problems.  She also mentioned his need to know himself, and to open up, both of which combined to do something never before seen in all of Brax's remembered history: he laughed, a short, sharp bark of "HAH!" before he hastily covered his mouth.  His eyes grew quite wide as he watched the red haired maiden, naked incredulity etched into his features at the outburst.  "Wow, I must say I was not expecting that.  My apologies."  He had felt truly surprised, shocked beyond all measure, and it appeared his body had reacted.  A strange feeling, his surprise.  It set his senses on edge, and shook him to the core.  He was visibly shaken, and had to take a moment to stop and collect himself.  Letting the feeling pass, he filed it away for future study, concluding that this was not the appropriate time to indulge, though he found it a bit difficult to completely shake the sensation.  He saw the odd look in her eyes, forgoing his instinct to describe it, and said, "Sorry, but you cannot know more about something or open up about what isn't there.  When your life is practically a blank slate, there is little to do but act according to another's directions.  At least, in areas that are considered of less importance.  A favorite meal, the best movie, or the prettiest girl, the things that define a person, they simply don't exist for me.  I am...driven...by necessity alone, hence the desire for a familiar, as I am in NEED of a friend."  Hearing her describe what a familiar could become, he shook his head in violent agreement.  "Yes, that is precisely what I need."

As she mentioned a person's 'uniqueness', he looked at her questioningly;  what could she mean by that?  His confusion echoed in his eyes, as she could not clearly understand, or perhaps she was unaware, of the difference between the quirkiness of the normal world, and the insanity of the mentally infirm, though with her last statement, she seemed to catch a glimpse.  He knew, from personal experience, which he supposed not everyone had, that while some people were just 'odd', others were irrevocably deranged, and it was those individuals that one had to be careful around.  'Perhaps she might one day realize the truth, if she spends much more time with me.  Or maybe,' he considered carefully, 'they are the ones she considers unworthy to live.'

He heard her speak of her old familiar, an eagle, and detected a note of...something...in her voice, though with his surprise still echoing through his tall, armored frame, he could not place it.  As she described the loss, and the quest boss, he absentmindedly ran his eyes over the area, and his eye caught a metallic rock along the path they walked.  He picked it up, turned it over in his hands, and replied, "A good way to work out frustration, then.  Though I suppose the boss is no match for your impeccable speed.  As useful as an eagle sounds, though, I imagine for my purposes, I need something closer to earth.  Something loyal, but fierce.  Something...warm, maybe?  That will balance, perhaps, my...less than personable personality.  A friendly face but a strong bite.  Any ideas?"

+1 material

Edited by Brax

A grin appears on her face as her companion lets out a laugh and apologises. “No need, you’ve done nothing wrong.” She listens with quiet contemplation as Brax continues to talk about his life. “A blank slate?” She murmurs under her breath as the man continues speaking. “I’ve moved on from Beleram dying, as tough as it was. I do miss him, but I no longer repeatedly farm that boss it took some time but I managed.” The grass crunched under her feet as she took a side path that branched away from the main road leading them away from the town, and the safe zone as the stars started to twinkle above their heads.

As they travelling duo approached a small outcropping of rocks the red head spins placing a hand in the centre of the man’s chest before meeting his eyes, searching them with a quiet gaze of hers. “Tell me what was in your past, why have you got this blank slate?” Her voice was gently yet commanding as a small smile came onto her lips. “In need of a friend, I can understand that. So tell me about your past, you say you have a blank slate. In reality everyone in this game does, after we get out of this who knows what will happen. We need to make alliances within the game. Find our own families to survive.” She takes a breath as she pauses looking at the man waiting for him to reply, her arms crossed over her chest.

ID 43881

LD 9

“Tell me what was in your past, why have you got this blank slate?”

A bomb of a question, and one that might have shaken a normal man to the core.  But Brax was not a 'normal' man, and all he felt was a small discomfort, if only because he had not known the lady for long.  He recognized the necessity of the situation, however, and knew that the moment had come to reveal his past, or lack thereof.  "What was in my past?  I don't know.  My memory only extends so far back as a year before we all logged into SAO.  I was in an accident, so I've been told, saving a little girl from being hit by a car.  When I woke up, the doctors told me that I suffered significant brain damage, to the point where I have severe retrograde amnesia, as well as a personality disorder called alexithymia.  You wonder why I cannot make a decision?  It is because I lack what most people feel: desire.  The Alexithymia inhibits my ability to process emotion, as well as comprehending the emotions of others.  In fact, the only reason I am here is as a test, to see if the NervGear had a positive effect on my brain chemistry, combined with certain neuro-stimulants that I am most likely no longer receiving.  I have made a little progress, but not much.

"You speak of family: I have none.  The closest I could refer to are my fellow patients at Berringer's, or the doctors and nurses who cared for me, and having read about family bonds I can assure you that those relationships fall well short of the mark.  And I truly doubt anyone here, in this world, would trust a 'robot' such as I with such a responsibility.  Not that it matters, I can exist alone, but if I wish to improve my condition I require stimulation of the sort I cannot receive on my own.  Influences of an outside nature. things that only other people can provide.  Which is why I accepted your offer of assistance.  If I am to recover, I will need help.  Though, I am no fool.  I do not expect many to understand or be able to handle such a task.  If so, feel no shame in rescinding your offer of aid.  I will not hold it against you, I cannot."  Brax finished his explanation, and turned to look over his surroundings.  Finding nothing of worth, he stood and awaited her response.

Edited by Brax