[SP-F2] I Must Save Her Family! <<Let There Be Light>> COMPLETE

I Must Save Her Family!

"Someone help!"

That's how this all started.  It explains why I am here, in front of this cavern, prepared for a good hunt.  I was wandering the second floor as I was trying to visit a friend when a woman ran up to me.  The symbol above her head indicated her to be of the world's denizens, or NPC.  Though, the symbol had changed just as quickly as I noticed it.  It became a golden quest marker, indicating a quest giver.  I had learned more about this world's mechanics while I was hunting, and learned much from the other adventurers.  This woman would begin a new hunt for me, like the plants from the first floor.

"Is there something wrong?"

"My daughter!  She's been missing for some time.  Oh, please help?!"

The marker above her head would change to a silver question mark, while a prompt for the quest would appear for me.  <<Let There Be Light>>  It seems that I am supposed to save this woman's daughter from whatever danger that she is in.

"Where was the last place you saw her?"

"She was playing with her friend near the caverns when they were attacked by monsters."

"Why would they venture out without a guard?"

To this question, the NPC would just stare at me.  Sometimes, the people of this world don't respond kindly to certain questions.  It was as if they don't understand them, or don't know what to day.

"Fine!  I will look for your daughter near these caverns."

"Thank you, kind adventurer!"

After that, it was a simple matter of finding these caverns.  Luckily, my map had updated with the perimeter of its possible location.  It didn't take too long to find it.

So, here I stand, staring into the abyss.

Edited by Hirru
  • 3 weeks later...

Entering the cave would bring up something new to my field of view.  Normally, I would be able to see the green bar of my health, and the time of day.  Now, I saw something that looked like an eye with an arrow pointed down.  I could feel my own abilities being lowered as well.  It seems that the extreme darkness really does give a decrease in effectiveness.  Just like when I fought Lowenthal back on the fourth floor, I was blinded and couldn't really tell what was the right way to go.  I just had to hug the left wall with my unoccupied hand while keeping Solace unsheathed.  Every so often, I would yell out into the darkness for anything to hear me.

Nothing would respond, so I kept looking.

[ID: 45945]
[LD = 2] Nothing

Edited by Hirru

After some time of traveling, I would notice some sounds within the cave, but I wasn't able to determine what they were.  I would have to continue to traverse blindly while figuring out what to do once I found the child.  If this was like any quest before, the was always something protecting the objective.  In this case, something that would probably be taking advantage of the dark.  Using something that could find him easily.  Night vision or echolocation were both possibilities within this environment.  I needed to be cautious while searching for this child.

[ID: 45948]
[LD = 1]

Edited by Hirru

Continuing the search through the dark, I find that being alone in the dark is quite frustrating.  You don't know where anything is, unless you bump into it.  Even then, you don't know if you have bumped into an object, or an enemy.  Then trying to hit that enemy would just become blindly slashing in the dark, until I hit the creature.  Also, I had to find the child, but that may be a little more simple.  Children were known to cry when in stressful and scary environments.  At least, that's what I remember.  I don't know for sure.

After some time, something would pique my interests.  A sound of crying would be feint, but audible in the silence of the cave.  I would take this opportunity to gain some ground on this quest.  As I moved forward, the crying would get louder, but so would a much softer cackling.  By the time I was close enough to determine the whereabouts of the screams, I noticed that I had entered a large expanse.  I could only figure this out because the echoes of the cries reverberated less than usual.

It was then that something would swoop down at me, but the darkness would conceal its actions.  Before I knew it, I was being attacked by a giant bat.

[ID: 45953]
[LD: 13] Found Enemy
[MD: 5] Miss

Edited by Hirru

Have you ever tried to find something in the dark, using only your sense of hearing?  Now take that feeling of unknown and uneasiness, and add an angry giant bat monster.  How would you feel in your situation, if your only weapon was a melee weapon that was mostly double your arm length, and you were in an expansive room with little knowledge of your surroundings.  It becomes quite the task, doesn't it?  The more you fight, the less you get done.  That was pretty much what I was feeling as I swung my sword at nothing, and did nothing in return.

[ID: 45954]
[BD: 1] Miss
[MD: 3] Miss

[Hirru - 76/76 hp // 17/19 en] (-2 en)

[Giant Bat - 50/50 hp]

Edited by Hirru

After swinging my sword around for some time, I was feeling slightly tired.  I could tell that my energy was being drained by constantly throwing my body around at nothing.  The bat was more in tune with its surroundings, and was able to make a quick swipe at my head.  Thankfully, the hit would activate Sorrow's ability to heal my wounds, or I would be skeptical of this fight.  Being unable to fight something that can easily bat you around wasn't something that he had in mind when taking this quest.

[ID: 45955]
[BD: 2+2-1=3] Miss
[MD: 7] Hit (12-7= 5 dmg)
[CD: 9] Regen (+27 hp)

[Hirru - 76/76 hp // 16/19 en] (+1 en / -2 en / -5 hp / +27 hp)

[Giant Bat - 50/50 hp]

Edited by Hirru

With the previous attack, I could tell where the bat was now.  It had flown behind me, and with the constant clicking for its echolocation, I could pinpoint where I should strike next.  With a slight motion, I would aim towards the ceiling as Solace would start glowing red.  With the sound of a screaming banshee, I took off into the air to strike the enemy.  My attack would hit its target, and it would be known to me that it was nearly dead.  It near instantaneously dropped into the red.  I would need to continue the assault, but the bat slammed be back into the cave floor causing some damage, but Sorrow had my back again. 

[ID: 45959]
[BD: 10] Crit +2
[Sword Art: Vorpal Strike] 1x5x9 = 45 dmg
[MD: 8] Hit (12-7= 5 dmg)
[CD: 11] Regen (+27 hp)

[Hirru - 76/76 hp // 12/19 en] (+1 en / -5 en / -5 hp / +27 hp)

[Giant Bat - 5/50 hp] (-45 dmg)

Edited by Hirru

Having a good fix on the enemies location, I would make my own opportunity to attack.  Without fail, I took a swing as it flew by to strike at me again.  This time, it wouldn't be able to hit me before Solace was able to carve a final gash that made it stop in mid air, and shatter into many light particles.  With the small burst of light, I could see a small silhouette near the wall.  The crying seemed to originate there as a small child came into being.

"Are you okay?"

"Don't hurt me.."

"I'm not going to hurt you.  I'm here to take you home.  Your mother is worried about you."

"Mommy?"

"That's right!  She was scared when your friend came back without you.  I'm here to bring you back to her.  Can you stand?"

I ask as I hold out my hand for her to take.  With her little hands she grasped my hand firmly.  It would be difficult to fight with her next to me, as she was holding my sword hand.  Carrying Solace in my left hand seemed weird, and made me feel less secure about fighting anything.

[ID: 45961]
[BD: 9] Crit +1

[Hirru - 76/76 hp // 12/19 en] (+1 en / -1 en)

[Giant Bat - -3/50 hp] (-8 hp)

Edited by Hirru

With the little girl in tow, I would need to find my way back out of the cave.  This was easier said, than done.  Even after killing the giant bat, and finding the little girl; I was still disorientated by the darkness.  Added to this was a little girl who would be rather calm about things until a monster was in close proximity.  A good way to keep away from the enemy, but that didn't help me with finding the exit.  With nothing else to lose, I tried to strike up a conversation, but the girl would only say things about her wanting her mother, or that she was scared.  Sometimes, I felt that some of the speech was being repeated, but not often.

[1/3 turns until energy regen]

Edited by Hirru
  • 3 weeks later...

After some time of walking through the dark cavernous area, I felt that I was going around in circles.  I pulled out my menu to check what direction I should go.  Thankfully, the map turns into a full topography of everything that I've traveled through, so far.  It looked like I was going in the right direction, and that I just needed to continue the winding path until a fork makes me continue straight into a three way.  I apparently took the far right one, which would be my left now.  Having that in mind, I took the little girls hand again, and we continued through the darkness.  Sometimes, I think I hear some kind of loud chirping, but leave that to imagination.

[2/3 turns until energy regen]

Following what I could with the map, I continued on through the dark corridors that made up this mini-dungeon, of sorts.  Along the way, the little girl would grasp tightly to my hand, as ordered.  For some time, there would be silence except for the momentary crying of the little girl over the smallest noise.  In fact, the other noise seemed to be the only thing that was worrying her.  Every time, she cried or got scared was when a certain clicking came around.  If I wasn't in the rush to get out of the cave, I would have been searching for the source.  It wasn't until we were near the exit that the source came to us.  I felt the air start pushing behind my neck, and looked around in time to find that we were being stalked by another giant bat.

[Regenerated Energy]

Edited by Hirru

I quickly told the little girl to hide, but she didn't seem to get that.  So instead, I let go of her hand, which immediately brought about some crying from her, but I did not have the time to quell those tears.  I replaced Solace into my dominant hand, and readied myself for the creatures next pass. Quickly, I readied myself towards the air as I heard another screech coming towards me.  With the sound of a jet engine, I flew forward into a slalagmite which launched me into the air.  From the bright orange gash that develops on anything hit with a weapon appearing, I knew that it hit its mark.  There was a loud screech that bellowed forth as a thud as it hit the ground.

[ID: 48572]
[BD: 7+2-1=8] Hit
[Sword Art: Vorpal Strike] 1x5x7 = 35 dmg
[MD: 1] Miss

[Hirru - 76/76 hp // 14/19 en] (-5 en)

[Giant Bat - 15/50 hp] (-35 hp)

Edited by Hirru

With an assurance that the beast would start to get up from the ground, I readied another art as I heard the flapping of wings.  As Solace glowed with what I expected to be the correct sword art, I was propelled forward with my own feet before jumping into the air and slashing downward onto the giant bat.  As I did so, the flying rodent got a final hit on me before it burst into tiny crystal fragments.  I sighed in relief of the quick end to the battle.  It was then that I received my reward and a brief light to find the little girl again.

"Come on!  Let's go home to your mother."

[ID: 48574]
[BD: 5+2-1=6] Hit
[Sword Art: Sonic Leap] 1x3x7 = 21 dmg
[MD: 7] Hit 12-7=5 dmg
[LD: 18+1=19] +1 mat / 50x5=250 Col

[Hirru - 71/76 hp // 11/19 en] (-3 en) (-5 hp)

[Giant Bat - -6/50 hp] (-21 hp) {+1 Mat}

Edited by Hirru

With the second giant bat killed, all I had to do now was to follow my map to the exit.  That shouldn't be too hard, but who knows what will happen next.  In one hand, I held the hand of the little quest girl, while I carried Solace in the other.  In case anything came along, I would need to find a faster way to take care of them, or run the risk of hurting the girl.  Some time would pass as we trudged along through the dark, empty cavern.  Slowly, but surely getting closer to the exit that will hopefully bring me closer to the end.

Finally, I found my way out of the cave, and was blinded for a short time to the brilliance that was the light.  I didn't know what to think about it, but seeing the light after such a short time in that dark cave; it made me realize that I should probably invest in the night vision modification later on.  I heard that one of the later floors was completely dark, so I should save up my point for that when I'm done with my weapon skills.  With that, I realized that it would take some more time to get back to the village where the quest was to be completed.  I sighed as led the little girl towards her home.

Following my previous path through the area, I needed to pass through the area with the golems again.  With the girl at my side, it may be difficult, but not impossible.  What I feared more was having her hurt during it, so I may have to leave her in an area for a time, while I took care of the golems.  Hopefully, she wouldn't run off anywhere while I was fighting, or I would be in trouble again.

As we came close to the area where the golems appeared, I turned to the little girl and asked her to stay right here.  She just stared at me for a few moments before nodding in response.  I guess that's the best I was going to get.  As I entered the area, I switched back to my sword hand, and readied myself for battle.

Edited by Hirru

I walked into the golem territory, which was mostly around the mountainous areas of the second floor.  There I found some golems walking around without a care in the world, but I knew that they would attack once I was in range.  I didn't want that to happen while the little girl was in tow, so I needed to take care of them before the next spawning.  With one in my sights, I readied myself against the rock amalgamate.  I flashed forward, but I missed the first hit, which brought attention to myself from the others in the group.  Before I knew it, I was being thrown around by the earthen limbs before being slammed into the ground.  If it wasn't for Sorrow's healing ability, I would be in trouble.

[ID: 49014]
[BD: 1] Miss
[MD: 9] Hit 9+1-7= 3x4=12 dmg
[CD: 12] Regen 27x4= 108 hp

Hirru - [76/76 hp // 17/19 en] (-2 en / -12 hp / + 108 hp)

Golem 1 - [40/40 hp]
Golem 2 - [40/40 hp]
Golem 3 - [40/40 hp]
Golem 4 - [40/40 hp]

Edited by Hirru

Finding that one is virtually invincible while fighting these beings, I felt that I could stand in the middle while letting them wail away at me, but that would be a waste of time.  I needed to get the girl back to her mother before the end of the day.  I didn't think there was really a time limit to this quest, but it could have one.  I've never known this world to be too predictable.  With that in mind, I braced myself for the next attack.  It would come in a flurry, but I was ready then.  When they hit, Sorrow's cure would give me the chance to cause a large amount of damage to all of them.

[ID: 49017]
[BD: 8+2=10] Hit
[Sword Art: Sharp Nail] 3x2x7=42-9=33 dmg
[MD: 7-1=6] Hit 9-7= 2x4=8 dmg
[CD: 8] Regen 27x4= 108 hp

Hirru - [76/76 hp // 6/19 en] (+1 en / -12 en / -8 hp / + 108 hp)

Golem 1 - [7/40 hp] (-33 hp)
Golem 2 - [7/40 hp] (-33 hp)
Golem 3 - [7/40 hp] (-33 hp)
Golem 4 - [7/40 hp] (-33 hp)

Edited by Hirru

After that, I had to quickly follow up with another quick AOE attack, or else get slammed by damage.  Sorrow wasn't known for its consistent regeneration.  Having that much in mind, I quickly readied another art to finish off the enemy just as quickly as they came after me.  Unfortunately for me, the golems wouldn't give me the chance.  For some reason, they seemed to be gathering great energy into a slam that may actually harm me, and the possibility that Sorrow would heal or not was the main focal point that could be my undoing.  Instead, I canceled the art and started dodging the slams as they came down upon me.

[ID: 49018]
[BD: 2+2=4] Miss
[MD: 6-1] Miss

Hirru - [76/76 hp // 5/19 en] (+1 / -2 en)

Golem 1 - [7/40 hp]
Golem 2 - [7/40 hp]
Golem 3 - [7/40 hp]
Golem 4 - [7/40 hp]

Edited by Hirru

Having dodged out of the way of their attacks, I was in a prime position to get all of them with a fairly weak AOE attack.  Hopefully, this one would hit them as I was getting low on energy as it was.  Soon, that wouldn't be an issue.  As I was running out of energy, I had to deal with the lower grade arts to deal damage, but as I soon learned after the attack, they wouldn't be enough.  With barely anything left, I would have to wait a bit and hope that Sorrow continued its regenerative powers as the golems continued to pummel my form.

[ID: 49014]
[BD: 7] Hit
[Sword Art: Rage Spike] 1x2x7=14-9=5 dmg
[MD: 9] Hit 9+1-7=3x4= 12 dmg
[CD: 12] Regen 27x4=108 hp

Hirru - [76/76 hp // 2/19 en] (+1 en / -4 en / -12 dmg / +108 hp)

Golem 1 - [2/40 hp] (-5 hp)
Golem 2 - [2/40 hp] (-5 hp)
Golem 3 - [2/40 hp] (-5 hp)
Golem 4 - [2/40 hp] (-5 hp)

Edited by Hirru