Azure Training Ground [Manta vs. Oikawa]

The armory greeted him with the sight of glinting metal and chests full of items that have been acquired by the guild over time. The spacious room allowed for contests between guild mates should they so desire, and today that purpose would be fulfilled. Adjusting the pendant about his neck, the blonde stretched his arms over head before sending the "I'm here" message to a Brigadier he had yet to meet. Manta, and addition to the guild in his absence. Knowing full well the requirements needed to even be invited by Azure, the Faint General found it necessary to to at the very least become acquainted with his new found guildmates, even if it was via duel.

Closing the messenger, he opened his inventory and waded through his items. Several rapiers and shields cluttered the inventory list. These, accompanied by a few items, comprised his inventory and collection of builds through his time in Aincrad. Having narrowed down his selection, he equipped his favorite set of gear and made his way to the dueling grounds that awaited him.

Resting his palm on the mysterious glowing orb within the battlegrounds center, he awaited Manta's arrival for their first official meet and duel.

Stats:

Spoiler

HP: 449 (144 Base + 5 Athletics + 300 Over Health)
Energy: 36
DMG: 11 (1 Base + 1 Athletics + 5 Skill + 4 Weapon)
ACC: 2 (1 Item + 1 Precision)
EVA: 0
MIT: 30 (12 Light Armor + 18 Shield)

Battle Skills:
Rank 5 One-Handed Rapier
Rank 3 Light Armor (12 MIT when using Armor)
Rank 2 Charge (+2 to DMG / Can only be used if I have not attacked yet / Active (Can be used alongside Sword Arts))
Rank 1 Battle Healing (On CD of 10 and up recover 4% HP / Passive)

Locked Skills:
Survival (Increases the health you regenerate per post to 6 when out of combat. Survival also gives immunity to damage dealing environment effects.)
Concentration (Activated free - 5 post cooldown Effect: Gain +1 to the BD result for a single action.)

Active Mods:
Athletics (+5 to HP / +1 to DMG)
Precision (+1 ACC)

Equipment:
Azure General Cloak (Vanity)
Amphibian Teeth (+4 Damage and +1 Paralytic Venom)
Citrine Badge (+2 Recovery and +1 Accuracy)
Raikiri II (+2 Paralysis and +18 Mitigation)

Manta frowned as she received a message from the so called 'General'. She hadn't seen much of him, but she already disliked him. He wasn't even that high of a level. She got her gear in order before exiting her room and heading down to the training arena. She wasn't entirely sure that she could beat him, as he probably had uniques that head been gifted to him by the commandants. She didn't understand why such favoritism was being shown to him, but not to her. She frowned again, her hand on the pommel of her rapier as she approached the  pedestals with the overhealth orb on it. The last duel she had fought, she had lost because of over health. It was annoying for a damage focused person like herself to have to fight duels like this, where people got a health buffer. She was a high damage, high energy use build, so she couldn't fight for long. She would have to deal with it though. She let out a sigh, her hand lifting off of the pommel of her rapier and landing on the orb. "Whenever your ready, 'General'." She said, putting an overly caustic tone when she said general.

Spoiler

HP: 436
Energy: 34
DMG: 12 (1 Base + 5 Skill + 6 Weapon)
ACC: 2 (2 Item)
EVA: 3 (Items)
MIT: 7 (Heavy Armor)

Battle Skills:
Rank 5 One-Handed Rapier
Rank 2 Heavy Armor (7 MIT when using Armor)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 to DMG / Can only be used if I have not attacked yet / Active (Can be used alongside Sword Arts))

Locked Skills:
Survival (Increases the health you regenerate per post to 6 when out of combat. Survival also gives immunity to damage dealing environment effects.)
Concentration (Activated free - 5 post cooldown Effect: Gain +1 to the BD result for a single action.)

Active Mods:
N/A

Equipment:
Crusher (Heavy Armor (Gauntlets), Vanity)
Rapier Thingy (+6 Damage)
Pinpoint (+2 Accuracy, +1 Evasion)

Brigadiers Breastplate: (+2 Evasion, +1 Savvy)

"Welcome Manta Gaul," greeted the blonde as she approached the podium. Her demeanor and tone used at the mention of 'General', conveyed feelings of what he assumed was disdain, but he didn't understand the subtle hostility and thus let it pass. Selecting the parameters of the duel, he swiped the air, whisking it away to Manta so that she may accept. "I appreciate you coming down here. I've yet to personally meet you and I feel it is my duty to know and acknowledge each and every one of our members. That aside, may the best brigadier win. I look forward to seeing what you have to offer as well as test my own strength given my absence." Stepping back from the podium, he drew his rapier, and materialized his shield. Taking a lowered stance, he pointed his rapier forward and spoke. "Shall we?"

ID: 48159 LD: 12

Oikawa: 449/449 E: 36/36

Manta: 436/436 E: 34/34

She glanced downwards momentarily before looking back up. He certainly want acting like the arrogant person she had expected him to be. Maybe she had just been spending too much time around Zel. She was momentarily ashamed of the rude way that she had been thinking of him, but quickly shook it off. She tapped the accept button on the duel request and turned around, marching to the other end of the training ground as the timer counted down, as duels generally started. She unsheathed her rapier, pointing it at him and waiting. As the timer flipped to zero, and the duel started, she sprinted forward, her sword glowing red as she activated Over Radiation and stabbed into him, twirling and piercing him a total of thirteen times total before leaping back, through with her sword art. She was more than happy with the damage she had dealt. She could only hope it would be enough so that she could attack again before she ran out of energy. No matter how well she did, or how accurate or evasive she was, this duel would be close. She didn't know what sort of enhancements he had on his equipment, so this could get tricky if he wasn't a straight forward damage build like her.

ID# 48160 results:

Loot: 20

ID# 48161 results:

Battle: 10 Hit, Crit (1 Base + 5 Skill + 6 Weapon+5 Charge+ 2 Crit= 19 x13 (Over Radiation)= 247-30= 217 DMG)

Oikawa: 232/449 (-217) E: 36/36

Manta: 436/436 E: 21/34 (-13)

The timer ticked down, albeit slowly for him, which if he knew anything, was a sign of nervousness. Tightening the grip on his blade, Oikawa, for the briefest of moments, hesitated as the timer struck zero. And in that, moment he felt something he hadn't in a long time. Pain. The feeling of endless stabs riddled his frame as each blow connected and struck with more ferocity than the last, before allowing himself to be struck by the final blow, he raised his shield, connecting it with the tip of her rapier as he managed to send the final blow piercing across his shoulder rather than his chest. Down to his knee, he panted. A few grunts escaping him as he stood up, the blonde smirked. The grin was not one of mockery, but one of happiness.

"Finally. Someone who brought some actual fight with them. Unfortunately, the affects of my shield should be kicking in, rendering you immobile." Stepping forward, he raised his rapier. The glow imitating that of Manta's only moments before. Firing off thirteen <Charged>ed jabs and thrusts of his own <Over Radiation>, Oikawa backed away as the paralysis began to take full effect. "My apologies. Paralysis is my strong suit."

ID: 48168 BD: 9 CD:  7 [Over Radiation: 1 Base + 1 Athletics + 1 Critical + 4 Weapon + 5 Skill + 2 Charge= 14 x 13 = 182 - 7 = 175 DMG]

Oikawa: 232/449 E: 23/36 (-13)

Manta: 261/436 E: 21/34 (-175 HP) PAR (1/1 Turns)

Manta let out a growl as she felt the muscles in her limbs start to freeze up. He was one of those cowards who hid behind their shields until the enemy couldn't move. She took a deep breath. She was getting overly annoyed. It was something that had been happening more and more recently. It wasn't cowardly to take full advantage of a games mechanics, or to create a debuff build. She relaxed her body and let herself take the blows without tensing up. She prepared for another set of blows as she stood there paralyzed. One way or another, the next hit from either of them would decide how this battle turned out.

Oikawa: 232/449 E: 23/36

Manta: 261/436 E: 22/34 (+1) (-175 HP) PAR (1/1  Turns) Evasion=Ignored, turn action removed

Taking several steps back, the blonde twirled his rapier around in circles. Flashes of anger rose and fizzled from Manta's features as he waltzed the room. Sighing, the blonde did feel bad. He had a knack for ruining friendships before they even got started. This was made even easier to do whenever he dueled someone new for the first time. His apologies would have to wait however, because during the time he had idled around on random thoughts, he managed to let enough time elapse for the paralysis to wear off. "That's rather unfortunate," commented the blonde. "Well I've already poked the hive. Might as well get stung." Gesturing for her to 'come at him', e prepared for whatever she had in store for him.

ID: 48262 BD: 2 CD:  9

Oikawa: 232/449 E: 24/36 (+1)

Manta: 261/436 E: 21/34 (-0 HP

Manta frowned as he didn't attack before the paralyze wore off. She felt as though he was trying to take it easy on her, and she didn't like that. Still, she would give him the benefit of the doubt. She raised her rapier again in the ready position, and charged at him, activating Over Radiation again, her blade glowing red. Next attack she wouldn't have enough energy to use her strongest attack again, hopefully she would be able to muster the energy she needed to finish this though.

ID# 48269 results: Battle: 8(+1 (Savvy)+2 (Accuracy)= 11) Hit! (12x13= 156-30=126)

Oikawa: 106/449 (-126) E: 24/36

Manta: 261/436 E: 10/34 (-13)

Edited by Manta Gaul

The paralysis subsided from the girl as she quickly took on his challenge. Her talent with the rapier was certainly well above average as each strike left him feeling more gassed than the last. Once again, he manage to raise his shield in protest as she continued her assault. Having survived just barely, the blonde smirked as a familiar status formed on her HUD. This time there will be no dawdling only swift and decisive action. Turning up his wrist, the blonde lunged for the girl. <Concentrating>, he activated his own <Over Radiation> once again and sent the flurry of jabs straight for her torso, knocking her HP down a notch as well.

ID: 48303 BD: 6 [3 + 2 Accuracy + 1 Concentration] CD:  1 [Over Radiation: 1 Base + 1 Athletics  + 4 Weapon + 5 Skill = 11 x 13 = 143 - 7 = 136 DMG]

Oikawa: 106/449 E: 25/36 (+1)

Manta: 125/436 E: 10/34 (-136 HP) PAR 1/1

Concentration Cooldown 5/5

Manta scowled as the paralyze kicked in from her own attack, again. She was incredibly annoyed. It was a smart build, but she wasn't enjoying the constant paralysis. If this had been a serious life or death fight, it would already been over. It would have been over from her first attack. These overhealth buffers just weren't fair for her build, whereas Oikawa seemed to be built specifically for these types of fights. All she needed to do was deal a tiny bit more damage and this would be over. But now she was paralyzed. She understood the build, and why someone would choose it, but she was getting angry now from this. She didn't enjoy the helpless feeling of being unable to move, and she doubted anyone did. Now she was forced to trust that he wouldn't kill her, unable to even dodge his next attack.

Oikawa: 106/449 E: 12/36

Manta: 125/436 E: 11/34 (+1) PAR 1/1

Her HP had nearly reached their cutoff threshold. He knew the use of the wrong Sword Art would literally spell death for her. Since murder wasn't on his list of priorities, he carefully selected his next sword art. As the blade began to glow, he realized just how scared she might be. Dueling someone you've only just met and it resulting in something like this certainly had a scary ring to it. Especially given she is a hundred percent vulnerable right now. Hmph, I probably look like and ass to her, after this I should try to make it up to her. I mean she is my guildmate after all... The thoughts entered and exited his mind rather quickly as he activated <Accel Stub> and secured the finishing strike.

Once the first round of their battle concluded, he sheathed his rapier and offered her his hand. "Well fought Manta Gaul. I'm actually rather impressed with your skill. To be completely honest, if my build wasn't so PvP focused, I have no doubt in my mind that you would've won that. As a General, I hold myself to a high standard. Not only are you on par with that current standard but you are slated to surpass it soon enough." Catching his breath, the blonde smirked before concluding. "Another go?" 

ID: 48319 BD: 6 [4 + 2 Accuracy] CD:  7 [Accel Stub: 1 Base + 1 Athletics  + 4 Weapon + 5 Skill = 11 x 3 = 33 - 7 = 26 DMG]

Oikawa: 106/449 E: 25/36 (+1)

Manta: 99/436 E: 10/34 (-26 HP)

Concentration Cooldown 4/5

Manta frowned as her HP dropped just below one hundred from his attack. He could have done far worse to her, and she was grateful that he hadn't. She was still annoyed by the outcome of this duel though. She felt as though the overhealth duel system was one that just didn't work for her build, and she wanted to express that to him. "These overhealth duels are completely unrealistic in determining who would win in a real fight. They're only good for figuring out tactics to solo bosses in my opinion. These buffers are so that bloodthirsty low levels can kill each other. Our builds are like two different types of snakes. You incapacitate your opponent with poison, and I strike fast before they can attack." She explained. "In a true player versus player setting, you would be long gone into pixels." She explained to him, becoming less annoyed as she spoke and let some steam off. :That's the whole point of my build. Strike first with all of your damage. It hasn't failed me yet, except for in these dumb overhealth duels." She continued on, not being anywhere near as elegant with her words as he had been. "I see no point in continuing this match, except to inflate your ego even more, unless you have something to say to contradict my argument." She finished.

Retracting his hand, the blonde adjusted the rapier attached to his hip and listened as the lass began to speak. With each point she made, his mind thought it over and searched for a counter to the statement. While her words certainly had a stench of annoyance and dissatisfaction, they still held the lingering fragrance of truth beneath it all. At least to an extent. Rather than making a mountain out of her frustrations, he offered a few comments of his own. "Firstly, I agree with you to an extent. These over-health styled duels prove nothing more than who can out last the other in relativity to the massive Health increase. Builds that require more time to be effective, certainly excel in these type of battles. However, this is where we differ. I do not think that you, in a death enabled setting, would be able to out right kill me. In my personal opinion, it would really boils down to the first strike followed by luck. If I strike first and initiate the paralysis, you might as well say good game, because with your current defenses and the fact that I have ways to stun you aside from activating my enhancement on my sword, you will stay paralyzed for so long as I am able to hit you and I have the energy. We both know we can kill each other in two hits give or take. Whomever strikes first between us, will win. This could also be said for Zelrius given that man has about as much defense as a slip of paper, but that's besides the point." Hoping he illustrated his thoughts on her concerns adequately, the blonde moved away from her and concluded. "With the evidence from my perspective, I also agree there would be no point in us continuing under the rules of over health. So if that's the case, enlighten me on this. Why Azure Manta Gaul?"

Manta's frown faded away as Oikawa acknowledged her points. He certainly didn't agree with them outright, but it was better than nothing. She didn't agree with what he used to argue with her though, although she didn't say it. She had no way to counter his argument, other than to say what she had already said, and he did have a point. Things could go very badly for her if he got the first hit and then continued to keep her paralyzed. She supposed that that was how you countered evasion. If you could take the hits, get a shield and som paralyze. Then you'd paralyze someone without having to hit them. He then proceeded to pose a question that she had been asking herself for a while now. "How would I know? I don't have much reason any more, but back when I joined up it was because I was naïve, power hungry, and wanted to help everyone, all at once. It was a strange time. Now im just sort of passive on the whole thing. Im here because im here. Nothing is really keeping me here besides the fact that im afraid of change, and I call Tristan my friend." She replied, being completely truthful in her answer. At worst Oikawa would insult her for her reasons, and at best he would give her some advice that would help make it clear to her why she was a member.

Readjusting his stance, the blonde opted to fold both arms over the orb and use it as a rest while Manta entertained his question. Her mentions of power hungry and wanting to help everyone resonated with him. These were some of the premiere reasons he joined the guild at first. Her extended response was also met with empathy as he himself has gone "hiatuses" due to no longer having a reason, among other things, to be with the guild, aside from the companionship it offered, A soft sigh escaped him upon closing his eyes as she concluded. His thoughts were a bit muddled as he toggled between what he heard and what he was thinking. Opening his eyes, he locked them with Manta and responded. "I for the most part sympathize with you. I too, had goals when I joined Azure. Very much similar to yours. Much like you, those goals faded as I attained the power I desired and realized that I was naive in thinking I could join the guild and not get caught up in our elitist self-serving ways. That being said, the reason I remain now is simple. I want to clear the game just like everyone else. The best way to do that, is to be on par with the people who clear floors the best. My resolve is simple and it needs no internal struggle from me to keep it going. You should find reason to stay, it makes things easier when contemplating the why in the first place."

Moving to a standing position, the blonde rubbed his chin as he just thought of something. "Manta. You being in this guild is no fluke. You have the strength and our respect. The most elite of the elite. I'm not saying you need to be proud of it, but at least think of it as this 'the best of the best respect you'. That has to count for something right? Either way, I consider you apart of this family of arrogant renegades that eliminates bosses and are the driving force behind clearing the game. If you think about it, thats the most helpful thing we can do."

She listened as he pretty much said that he felt the same way. She didn't really understand his reason for staying though. You could still be on par with the people of Azure Brigade, even if you weren't part of it. It wasn't for her to judge though. He had his reasons and she didn't have hers, it was that simple. She continued to listen as he spoke, still not really identifying with what he said. Sure she was respected by some of them, and sure they were the elites, but that still didn't give her a great reason for being there. It wasn't like she had a reason for leaving either though. She was pretty much neutral on the matter at the moment. She recalled how happy and excited she had been when she had received her invitation to join the guild. She had never expected to get one, so it had been one of those happy surprises that stay in your memory. Then it hit her. It was really just that when the best of the best got together, nothing could stop them. Even if she wasn't the best at what she did, she felt as though she contributed a good bit. When she got a stab in that is... Sure she didn't have some special build, and she wasn't the best damage dealer, but she was pretty good, and she felt as though she contributed. At least in her opinion, the guild wasn't just there for the good of the members, but all of the players stuck in this game. "All right." She said grudgingly, unsure of what else to say. The reason she had come up with somehow felt personal, so she didn't really feel the need to share it with him. "Well, maybe the next time we do this i'll have some more tricks up my sleeve." She replied with a half smile.

"I look forward to it Manta. Hopefully you find more reason to stay with us. I know my reason is spotty at best, but my old guild disappeared with the wind. Azure is all I know now." The blonde ran a gloved hand through his hair while using the other to not only put his shield up but send the girl a friend request. "We've only met officially today, but I consider you an acquaintance if friend is a it much for you. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to send me a message. We are guildmates after all. We have to learn to trust each other if nothing else."

Manta nodded to Oikawa, tapping the accept on the friend request. She still didn't understand why he was 'general', but she was prepared to accept it now that she understood a little bit more about him. In her opinion they were pretty evenly matched. She eyed his rapier for a moment before sheathing her own, thinking about that rumored unique skill for the rapier. Whether or not they were on each others friend list, as long as that skill was out there somewhere, unclaimed, they would be rivals, even if neither acknowledged it publicly.

"Hmm, judging by the look on your face, you still seem dissatisfied with something. Aside from what we talked about earlier I haven't the slightest clue what's bothering you. Should you ever want to talk or train even, given our pretty even statistics, you have my information. Don't hesitate to use it." Making sure the room was as neat as it was when they had entered, Oikawa made his way to the door and paused before exiting. "Well I guess our business here is done. It was a pleasure meeting you Manta Gaul. Also don't forget the raid is coming up. Prepare yourself." With that, the blonde exited the training grounds.

Manta gave Oikawa another nod. She respected him a lot more after this encounter, but she had been thinking still stood, regardless. "I'll keep that in mind Oikawa. I guess I'll see you around." She replied to him as he left. She waited a few more minutes, alone in the training area, before exiting as well, her mind on the future and what could be. She was determined to become strong, like Zelrius and Dom, and to surpass Oikawa, but she still wasn't entirely sure how to do that. At least now she understood why she was a part of this guild.