[PP - F2] Flying Too Close to the Sun [Icarus]

Her gaze darkened as Icarus spoke, but not because she disagreed with him. On the contrary, she found herself relating to his declaration, so much so that the white-hot flames of anger began to warm her stomach and her face once more. Or perhaps the latter was the ale. But as her blue eyes grew clouded, and her cheeks flushed a deeper crimson, she turned away from her companion. Her hands clutched the base of the tankard so tightly that her fingers lost their color against the cold glass. "I hate him," she finally snarled. She would not look back at the boy with the blue hair, for she knew her expression was not one to be proud of. But the ale mingled with the resentment that never truly left her, and it was the perfect recipe for disaster.

Her companion did not answer, and she wondered if it was out of respect or shock. Uncertain, she continued. "Kayaba. I hate him. I've never hated anyone before. I never thought I could. I used to see the good in everyone. Even in the beginning, right after we were trapped, I could still find that silver lining. But he stole that from me. He stole the life I had back home. He stole," her breath hitched, her voice faltering for a moment before she pressed on, "he stole lives. He stole the lives of people who didn't deserve it. Good people. Who the hell gave him the right? Why does he get to play God?"

She was rambling. The realization knocked her off her soapbox, and so she fell silent once more. But she would not look back at Icarus, because he might see the glisten of unshed tears.

Edited by Lessa

Lessa's words came at him with the hot fury of spewed fire.  Her anger was not directed toward him but because it was his words that spurred her, he felt responsible for the unbridled rage that was rising quickly to the surface.  "Hey," he said quietly, though it was likely it went unheard over the bustle of the other raucous conversations about them.  "Lessa, it's all right," Icarus' words were louder now and accompanied by the gentle touch of the back of his fingers pressing to the back of her own, which had grown pale from the intensity she wrenched upon her mug.  He did not grip or hold, he simply let the warmth of his hand grace her own - knuckle to knuckle.  If she recoiled, it would not affect him; he was malleable and used to bending to suit he situation.  He simply wanted to let her know that she was not alone, in her anger or in presence.

"It's okay to be angry.  There is nothing wrong with a little fire in our stomachs.  Kayaba... stole lives, that's a fact.  There is no justification for what he has done but..."  Icarus inhaled a slow, languid breath through his nose, unsure of how he wanted to press forward with the conversation.  "I'm not going to let what he has done define me.  I'm many things; a son, a brother, a musician, a lover of books, a fool - the list goes on and on.  One thing I am not, however, is a victim.  I won't allow him to make that of me."  Slowly, he pulled back his outstretched hand and returned it to the curve of the mug in front of him.  "I don't think you will either, Lessa.  He'll get what's coming to him."

The mood had quickly darkened over the past couple of moments, like a storm front had spontaneously arisen and coated the sky with its blackened clouds.  Icarus' eyes even seemed to be a little darker than before but slowly, their brilliance returned, as if he simply chose to let go of the ire that was swelling up within him.  It was either that or he was unexpectedly good at masking the troubles that plagued him.  In the end, his gaze still fixated upon Lessa, that same easy smile faintly tugged on the corners of his mouth.

His fingertips on the back of her hand brought her just as much comfort as the words he offered her. Her gaze swung to her mug, and did not move as Lessa half-listened to Icarus. The anger that had overwhelmed her moments before did not subside entirely - she wondered if it ever truly would. But the simple fact that the blue-haired man had taken the time to talk her down spoke volumes. In truth, the girl could not recall the last time someone had leveled with her that way.

In a soft huff of air, the blonde deflated, expelling some of the anger that had built up within her. And though she did not release her mug, she loosened her hold just enough that some of the color returned to her fingers. "That's a big assumption, considering we've only just met." Now there was a lightness in her tone, one in which she hoped would spare him any insult. She did not mean to accuse him of jumping to conclusions, but at the same time, she felt that he did. She'd been through a lot. Kayaba had pushed her to do things that she was not proud of. In fact, some days Lessa wondered what the old Alyssa would think of what she had become. But the mere fact that her new acquaintance had faith in her did offer some sliver of hope. "But I appreciate it. And I hope that you're right."

The pair slipped into relative silence. Though the atmosphere around them was a few decibels above what she would consider pleasant, she and her companion exchanged no words for a moment or two. It was not necessarily an uncomfortable pause, but Lessa found herself worrying that she may have pushed the boy away. And that thought upset her more than she expected. "Lover of books, huh?" She questioned suddenly. "What kind?"

Edited by Lessa

A warm feeling of relief ran course through him as he witnessed Lessa decompress.  What good were his words if all they did was rile up anyone he spoke to?  He lifted the base of his mug from the top of the table and swirled it around, watching as the reddened amber ale washed around the sides of the vessel that contained it before bringing it to his lips for another open throat swallow.  The remaining liquid was downed completely before he replaced the mug on the table before him.

"You have too much fire in you to call that an assumption."  An assertive statement simply put before silence descended upon them.  Icarus observed the calamitous environment around them.  He spent so much time around the Sisters and children that even being in the chaotic midst of this place was like a welcomed reprieve for him.  It may not have been the remote retreat that was he was used to but it was something different and that change of pace was all he needed.  After some time, when Lessa's voice spontaneously arose above the commotion and questioned about his choice in books, he returned his green-eyed gaze to her.

"Oh, all sorts but mainly science fiction and fantasy.  You know, something that really takes you away from the reality of an ordinary life.  What would it be like to walk without rhythm in fear of Shai'Hulud?  What kind of emotions would unknowingly wiping out an entire alien race invoke within me, when I thought I was only taking a test?  Sword Art Online seemed like a step in the right direction toward living out those thoughts."  He paused for a moment to dwell on that last remark, though chose to choke down the feelings that threatened to rise.  "How about you, Lessa?  Do you have any favorite pastimes?"

The first reference sailed over her head, but at the second, her eyes widened. "Oh," she breathed, expression lighting with recognition. "Ender's Game?" It was as if a switch had been thrown, and immediately, Lessa slipped into what had once been her natural habitat. Years of disuse had made easy communication difficult, but as the pair ventured back into safe, comfortable territory, the words came easily. "That is one of my favorite books! I remember we had to read it in middle school. I really think that's what got me into the sci-fi genre at all. There was such a cool balance of fantasy and adventure woven in there, with that focus on the military. I read a lot of historical fiction, and a lot of it centers around wars, so I've always loved that stuff."

"I never found myself escaping to a book," she continued after pausing for quick sip of ale. The taste was beginning to grow on her. "At least, not really. I was a pretty big fan of ordinary life." Especially now. "But I was always really intrigued by the people in books. I know it's weird, but I always found myself growing oddly attached to them. Maybe it is because I like history so much, and these books let me feel like I really know the incredible people I study. But it happens when I read any genre." Lessa shook her head slowly, her mop of blonde hair falling over her shoulder and cascading haphazardly across her silver breastplate. 

As the excitement of their shared interest wore off, she remembered the question that Icarus had initially asked her. "Lots of pastimes," she replied. "Video games, though maybe not so much after we get out of here. Reading and writing. I used to love skiing. And horseback riding. I used to ride every day back home. I miss it.

He nodded as she correctly recognized his description of Ender's Game.  There was a part of him that was glad she was familiar with the book, he didn't want to outright seem like a complete nerd.  "It was the Zero G fighting that really captivated me as a child. How exhilarating would it be to freely launch yourself about an arena without the restriction of gravity? Ah, that would be brilliant."

Icarus listened to Lessa intently as she moved through her love of historical fiction.  As she spoke of her love of ordinary life, he couldn't help but reflect upon the mundanity of his own personal world outside of Aincrad.  Each day was the same, no purpose, no direction - just breathing and wandering the halls of the manor.  While he remained interested in her story simply because she spoke of it with such a sense of adoration, his interest didn't truly spike again until the blonde talked of horseback riding.  Immediately, his intrigue was written on the youthful curves of his face; a deep blue eyebrow perked and a foolish grin blossomed crookedly on his mouth.  "Oh?"

"Your family has horses, as well?  The stables - ah, I loved it there.  That was the one place I could sneak away to late at night when I wanted some privacy.  I can't even begin to count how many hours Roma and I spent there alone, just enjoying one another's company by moonlight."  His words came without thinking.  After a moment, he reflected upon what had actually came out of his mouth; a light red immediately flushed the apples of his cheeks.  "Roma - she was my horse.  A Holsteiner, white as a fresh snowfall."