[SP-F5] How bout I do, anyway? <<EaL Merchant>> (COMPLETE)

How bout I do, anyway?
<<Earn a Living Quest>>
<<Merchant Edition>>

While coming back from my first bout of material hunting, I noticed a green light in the background.  I knew that it wasn't anywhere near the closest town, so I knew it wasn't any kind of street light.  For some reason, however strange it may be, I felt that I was being drawn towards the light.  It was an alluring glow that seemed to beckon one forward with a promise of good will.  As I came closer to the source of the light, the sense of being pulled faded.  I was now in front of a shabby looking wagon that seemed to have been deserted here.  Though, to be fair, it looked quite lived in, as there seemed to be several food items, and bottles scattered around the perimeter.

"Hello?  Is anyone here?"

"Over here, strangeh."

A raspy voice replied to me from around the wagon.  I walked around the wagon to find myself face to face with a robed individual.  From my previous knowledge, he was an NPC with his yellow crystal fragment above his head.  Seeming to be friendly, he waved his hand towards me in a slow motion.

"Got something that might interest ya, heh heh heh."

He would say before opening his robes for a second to pull out a parchment, and handing it out for me.  It was a request to gather some materials to fix his cart, and a side part to find his lost wagon pull.  It seemed like a simple thing before I noticed that it had filled my quest log.  <<Earning A Living>> was the quest, but it wouldn't tell me much more about it.  Rolling the parchment back up, I would give it back to the man.

"Sure, I'll do it."

"Heh heh.  Thank ye."

Edited by Hirru

I walked away from the strange man, but could still feel that he was staring at me as I went.  I kept going a more brisk pace until I knew that I was well away from the site.  Afterwards, I looked at my quest log to figure out what to do next.  It had three things:

• Find spare wheels from the ruins of an old caravan.  0 / 2 Items found.
  • Find a fresh oasis to pull water from.  0 / 1 Locations found.
  • Find the strange merchant's lost pet.  0 / 1 Creatures found.

I stared at all of them, but noticed that the last one was quite strange for a request.  Find the guys lost pet?  What was that even supposed to be?  I didn't have any time to figure that out as I started my search for the spare wheels that the wagon needed.  I started my search out where I knew the Traveler quest was, as it also had an oasis.  That would be enough to complete the locations portion of the quest.

[ID: 50071]
[LD= 8+1]

Edited by Hirru

When asking myself 'what direction should I go' I immediately thought, 'I don't know!'.  I don't remember where the oasis was when we found it.  We were only following the quest marker that lead to it.  Now, there was a quest marker for the area, but it was an AOE target that marked a large area, which the item or location was in.  I was already in the area for one of them, but if I was going to find the specific things, I would have to actively search.  Thankfully, I had the search skill to help me out, which would highlight things of interest for me.

[ID: 50208]
[LD= 3+1]

Edited by Hirru

This was taking a while, but finding these items was essential for gaining the profession.   Two wheels, one water from the oasis, and one pet.  How hard could this really be?  Of course, the desert would make things difficult with sand storms and long tracks of sand for many mel.  If it were not for the Survival skill, I would be cold by this point, as the night sky started to cover all that could be seen.  The light from the moon was all that helped me.  I guess the moon goddess was with me tonight.

[ID: 50422]
[LD= 8+1]

Edited by Hirru

I swore that there was nothing here, but as I searched that became more evident.  The items that I needed were not coming up anywhere, and I could only assume that they would probably only come up from something finding me.  That would also be a problem, since I haven't seen any scorpions lately.  All I've seen have been cacti and sand, that's it.  Now, if some of those cacti moved like the ones from before, then I may have a lead.  Thinking upon that, I choose to disturb some cacti to see if they were some that were mobs in disguise.

[ID: 50438]
[LD= 18+1] 

It was around this time that I found one of the wheels nestled between those cacti.  I immediately touched it, and it vanished into my inventory.  Convenient?!

Edited by Hirru

With that, I looked at the quest objectives again to confirm my findings.

• Find spare wheels from the ruins of an old caravan.  1 / 2 Items found.
  • Find a fresh oasis to pull water from.  0 / 1 Locations found.
  • Find the strange merchant's lost pet.  0 / 1 Creatures found

With one of the wheels found, I decided that searching the groups of cacti would be my best bet.  Hopefully I wouldn't have to fight them, as I didn't want to know what 1000 needles would do to me.  Especially if each needle did 1 damage.  I would be dead before I even hit the ground!  With that in mind, I decided to be more careful around the flora and fauna of the desert.  Who knows if or when one would be able to one shot him?!

[ID: 50450]
[LD= 13+1] 

Thankfully, I found the final wheel behind the next bunch of cacti.  It was a wonder why these plants would want these wheels, but then again, I don't wanna know.

Edited by Hirru

With the last wheel in check, I looked to my map to find where the next area would be.  It seemed to be pointing towards somewhere to the west, so I adjusted my position, and headed west.  The journey would take a few minutes to get there, but the night sky showed that time was constantly going.  To think that I would be spending an entire day hunting through quests.  Without any of the scorpions nearby, I'm not going to get many materials for my clients.  Maybe, the cacti would be easy on me, but I'd rather not risk it.

[ID: 50460]
[LD= 17+1] 

It didn't take long, in fact, I started to remember some of the area from before, and found the oasis that the quest would lead me to.  I took a flask to draw water from it, to give proof that I found the area.

Edited by Hirru

Two down; one to go!  I thought before realizing one thing:  The map didn't show anything.  Nor did I even know what this thing was?  What was I even supposed to be looking for?  The merchant never told me anything about its appearance, or anything at all about it.  While I contemplated it, I decided that I would have to go back to the merchant to find out what it looked like.  Maybe, I overlooked something, and it was under my nose the entire time, but I was sure that there was nothing on the map.  That meant that it was in hiding somewhere in that expanding desert.

I would finally make my way through the desert back to the green torch light.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find it that easily.  I searched everywhere that it used to be, even the exact same spot that I knew of.  Even the quest marker pointed to this spot as a grayed out marker, which evidently showed where the quest giving person was.  'How was there nothing here?' I thought as I turned around.  It was then that a soft glow came up from behind me.  It was green in color, which made me turn to find the wagon again.  It sat exactly where I left it.  The merchant came from the corner.

"I got the wheel, and a sample from the oasis."

"Ah!  Good work, strangeh!  I only need my pet, now."

He would say as he took the wheels and flask from me, and produced a slab of meat that seemed to be big enough for the entire Crimson Blades.  Though, then again, maybe only Mack.

"My pet likes that meat and will come to you, if you're near it."

"Okay, I guess that works."

With the new method of finding this 'pet' from the merchant, I stepped back out into the blistering cold desert.  Thinking about it, I should be careful with the bait out.  Even if it attracts the thing that is supposed to be the target, it may also bring something else, and I won't know if it is the right thing either.  Hopefully, it has some kind of indication that it is the pet of the merchant, or else, I may lose this quest by accidentally killing it.  I'd rather not do that, especially when I need this job.  The light of the moon would be rising well into the sky, by now.

As I continued through the desert, my feet should have been killing me by now.  The sand shifted under my feet, which made navigating the terrain that much more difficult.  With the moonlight as my only guide now, I only had to walk around to hope to find anything.  Any shred of evidence that a creature of small stature had ran through these parts.  Prints in the sand, displacements, and other irregularities that had not been erased by the winds of this floor.  To think that the first time that I ever walked this floor, it was to explore a small part of this expansive area.  Now, I have nearly trekked every part of it, but there are still things that shift with the sands.

After some time, I found myself surrounded.  It was particularly unsettling to say the least, as I had no idea when they had come up.  For the most part, I was surrounded by several scorpions and a cacti.  That was about it, but something about the nearby sand didn't seem right.  It was being displaced without anything around it, and the wind was down for the most part.  The only thing that could be doing that would be something that he couldn't see.  Without me knowing which one was which, I decided to take out the ones that seemed to be only found on this floor.  It was a safer bet than an AOE attack that could kill everyone of them.  With a quick sword art, I took out one of the scorpions while dodging from the others.  The cactus and mystery being didn't join in.

[ID: 51158]
[BD: 6]
[Sword Art: Seven Sins] 7x1x8=56-11= 45 DMG
[LD: 3] Nope
[MD: 3] Miss

Hirru - [88 / 88 hp // 15 / 22 en] (-7 en)

Scorpion [0 / 44 hp] (-45 hp) [+1 Mat]
Scorpion [44 / 44 hp]
Scorpion [44 / 44 hp]
Mad Cactus [44 / 44 hp]
????? [??? / ??? hp]

Edited by Hirru

Watching the first one disappear, I noticed that its health was decreasing slower than usual.  The enemy was getting stronger as I leveled up, and I was slowly getting to the point that I had to use a stronger attack to finish them off.  With that in mind, I felt that I would probably have to resort to a higher art to finish them off, but I didn't want to mistaken the pet for an enemy.  Without a doubt, I needed to figure out which one was the real pet, but how?  I wouldn't know without checking, but that would require me to not attack.

It was at that point that I noticed the thing move again.  I didn't know why, but for some reason, I felt that it was the one that I was looking for.  With that little bit of confidence, I started my strongest AOE.  I flipped back when Solace started to glow, and drove him deep into the sands.  The next moment, the sand erupted from underneath the remaining scorpions and cactus.  They shattered in an instant, but that would also reach towards the cloaked one.  The sand erupted from where it was, but the sand was displaced again from farther back.  Before I knew it, I was struck back by an unknown force.  When I looked to see what had hit me, I found that I was facing a rather weird reptilian creature.

[ID: 51388]
[BD: 7+2] Hit
[Sword Art: Lightning Fall] 1x7x8=56-11= 45 DMG
[LD: 14+1] 44x5= 220x3 = 660 Col
[MD: 9] Crit - 21 dmg - 7 mit = 14 dmg
[CD: 9] Regen Heals 28 hp

Hirru - [88 / 88 hp // 2 / 22 en] ( +1 en / -14 en / -14 hp / 28 hp)

Scorpion [0 / 44 hp] (-45 hp) [+1 Mat]
Scorpion [0 / 44 hp] (-45 hp) [+1 Mat]
Mad Cactus [0 / 44 hp] (-45 hp) [+1 Mat]
Docile Chameleon [??? / ??? hp]

Edited by Hirru

With the pests out of the way, it seemed that this creature was the only one left, but it didn't seem to friendly.  Though, it didn't seem to want anything to do with me.  Though, every so often, it will sniff the air before looking at me.  Its mouth would sometimes open slightly, but it would close it just as fast.  Its eyes searched around in different directions, though would almost always find their mark on me.  I didn't really have a choice in the matter, as I had slain all of the other creatures before, so this was probably the merchants pet.  At least, I hoped so.

With a motion, I tried to open up my menu, but the creature didn't like that.  It became wary of me before slowly turning colors.  Its hide seemed to be able to replicate the colors of the surrounding area, making it seem like it is invisible.  Though, now that I've seen it, its outline is clearly visible from the rest of the desert, though, not by much.  Especially with the night obscuring some of my sight.  If I wanted to catch this thing, I needed to be more careful than that.  That being said, I didn't know if the creature would flee, or if it would take the bait.

Being as slow and cautious as I could, I swiped my fingers to open my menu.  The sand shifted slightly, but the outline still stayed where it was.  Flicking through the inventory, I found what I was looking for, and selected it for materialization.  A few moments later, a slab of meat appeared in my hands, which was the bait that the merchant gave to me.  At first, nothing happened, but then the thing stirred.  With a sudden force, the bait flew out of my hands, which knocked me back.  The creature had shot its elongated tongue at the bait, that pulled it back with an incredible force into its maw.  It snapped its mouth shut and at the bait whole.

"I guess you really are it."

The reptilian creature eased itself out of its camouflaged nature, and slowly came towards me.  Its feet seemed to be made to climb things, but with nothing to cling on to, it seemed very unsteady, but it still hobbled along.  It continued with this momentum while walking past me towards, where I assumed, the merchant was.  I followed closely beside it, when I received the prompt for the quest.  It seemed that I fulfilled all of the parameters, and all I needed to do was to talk to the merchant again.  Simple!

It didn't take long until I found the familiar green flame that I had accustomed to being the merchants wagon.  When the reptilian creature reached the wagon, the merchant appeared from around the corner.  The creature slowly worked its way to its master, and would stand their as the merchant pat its hide.  I guess that was my confirmation then.

"I brought it back for you."

"Ah, good work, Strangeh.  I guess you'll be wanting the job then?"

"Preferably, yes."

The merchant stopped petting his chameleon pet, which went towards the front of the wagon before disappearing again with its natural camouflage.  I could still see its outline, but nothing much else to it.  The merchant signaled me to follow him to the wagon itself. 

Edited by Hirru

Walking around the wagon, the merchant took me towards a row of weapons that were lined for sale, I believe.  The merchant outstretched one arm to grab a single sword, which would shimmer from the emerald light that the torch gave off.  With a single wave of his hand, something appeared along the blade of the sword.  

"I've got somethin' to show ya."

They seemed to be little white circles, but I've seen those on my equipment from time to time.  It was what else was on there that got my attention.  I could usually see two or three buttons, but this one had a fourth.  Pressing that button, the sword glowed before three squares appeared where the buttons should have been.  Touching one of the squares, the merchant's hand pulsed before releasing the square, and single image replaced the empty space of the square.

"Heh heh heh.  Quite a nice enhancement.  That is how you appraise an item, strangeh!  Quite easy, but the enhancement is always random."

Handing the sword to me, he said,

"Now you try, strangeh."

Edited by Hirru

Taking the sword in hand, the buttons had reappeared, but now I had the four instead of three.  Clicking on the fourth one, the symbol changed into a circle of straight lines that seemed to tick clockwise.  Soon, the three squares came back into being.  The one that had something in it looked like a sword with an arrow pointing up.  That must have been the enhancement that the merchant unlocked from the weapon.  Pressing it, a screen came up showing what it was: Damage plus 1.  They really were enhancements to the weapon.  Could I do that, now?  I thought, as I touched the second slot.

[ID: 52134]
[CD: 1] - 1 Materal / [Locked]

When I released the slot, everything went red.  The merchant laughed when it did.

"Don't worry, strangeh.  There is also a chance to lock the slots, and not allow any more enhancements to be placed on the weapon."

"Really?  That's inconvenient.  Mind if I try another?"

"Heh heh heh, very well."

Edited by Hirru