[SP-F1] <<Earning a Living>> (Artisan) Luck goes a long way

Hydra had been on floor 1 a while now. Day by day the spearman was scraping by, whilst others around him were successful and flourishing in Col. The problem was he had struggled to find the right job to do. "Hmm, lets go over the options again, blacksmith... nope too hot and Ive not got the muscle, cook?, Nah, an appealing option but too much competition..." Hydra screwed up his face then sighed, "A fisherman would suit me best, but I don't like hurting animals." The young man stretched an arm over his back and yawned, another day was passing and another day he was going hungry. "So that's 3 eliminated, leaving a tailor or an artisan". He slumped down on a bench to think the two options through, the light of the sun slowly disappearing on the horizon.

Edited by Hydra

"Uhm excuse me", Hydra's eyes flickered open, "Sorry I didn't mean to bother you, but you looked rather lonely". An NPC stood in front of Hydra, it was a young woman that looked a similar age, she was wearing an apron stained with several paints, long black hair flowed down, the tips also seemed to be covered by different colors. "Aha don't worry about it, im just thinking". Hydra was still surprised at how life like the NPC's were in Aincrad, he treated them as he would another player and was definitely in belief that they could feel emotions. The woman's attitude perked up, she sat next to Hydra on the bench, "What about?", The spearman turned to the woman, "Hmm, im having difficulty picking a job to do, I just cant decide!". Hydra hunched forwards he was clearly frustrated with himself.

There was a brief pause, the woman broke the silence, "Are you the player known as 'Daydreamer'? I have something I'd like to discuss.", "Yes, at least that's what most people call me." He said quickly forgetting his frustration. "Well you see... um, The past few weeks I have heard you've not had the best of luck and spend a lot of time outside, I don't like to turn a blind eye to these things, but truth be told im in need of help myself and I think this could help both of us.. of course it's your choice" Hydra listened to the NPC and nodded, showing he was willing to hear her out. She stood up and gently put her hand out to Hydra, "Please join me in my artisans shop, im in need of workers as my business isn't doing too well. It would be great for you though! I'll teach you how to make trinkets that will give you more luck, and col and I'd love to help you progr.." The young man was too excited to let her finish, he accepted her handshake and stood up "I'm not sure I'll make the best Artisan, but if in doing this I can help someone else at the same time, I'll happily accept."

The night passed, Hydra had arranged to meet in the morning, at the artisans shop known as the 'Blue Raindrop'. "According to the directions, this looks like the right spot." Hydra peered upwards, the shop was small but didn't lack in decorations. The glass was stained in several shades of blue, and from the outside multiple charms lined the windows. The spearman stepped inside cautiously as he didn't want to damage anything by mistake, the woman he met yesterday called Akane stood behind the counter "Welcome to the shop" she said gleefully, "Nice place, hard to imagine that you don't get customers.", "Sadly, not many players have use for charms on this floor, hopefully we will be able to branch out to higher levels once we have earnt a bit more". He nodded at her "So where do I start?".

The NPC looked at Hydra then went through to the back, "Come through" she called. The spearman walked into the back of the shop, Akane seemed to be rummaging through a jumbled pile of documents, "Ah! Found it." She turned around and handed him a dusty parchment, "What's this?" Hydra said in bewilderment, "That is the first thing I would like you to craft for me, it's also the first thing I made myself as a beginner". He looked at the sheet and read out slowly "Clay trinket... are you not able to remember the recipe, a bit of soil and water?". Akane laughed, "There no ordinary clay trinkets, the stuff I make here is designed specifically for adventures, so I try to make it as prone as possible to any breakages". Hydra smiled, "let me guess, I'll need to collect hard to find materials?", "Bingo!". "Alright, guess I'll see you later then." Hydra wandered out the shop, trying to read the dusty parchment "Let's see what Ive got to get then".

A list of items appeared in front of Hydra, "Hmm maybe I should double up on materials so I could make one for a friend as well". 1x Boar Tusk, 1x Purified water, 1x fertile forest soil, 1x painting "What? A painting, oh there's more..." (Painting, or sketching of clay model - inspiration can be taken from nature for example), "Hmm seems that's it, quite a lot for such a small charm" Hydra pondered to himself. "I guess I should begin with what I want the charm to look like". The spearman stuffed the parchment in his pocket and wandered back into the store, "We got any paper?", "Of course we do, could you not tell im a painter!" Akane giggled. Hydra shook his head laughing "I don't pay attention all that much". Akane passed him a spare piece and some black chalk to illustrate with, "Any ideas on the theme?", there was a long pause................... "hmmmmmm, guess I'll head up to the forest I think I can find most of what I need there, I better rest up today make sure im prepared though".

A night passed and Hydra awoke the next day, spear equipped and headed for the forest. Rather than stick to the path the spearman took a detour across a field notorious for training, as boars could often be found in the area. "Hmm I wonder why a boars tusk is needed for a material." Hydra casually walked through the area, although little players were out at this time in the morning. *Yawn*, Hydra glanced around "seems most the boars are asleep as wel.." Before he could finish he heard a large snort and turned around to see a rather angry looking boar staring him dead in the eye, "let's see if you've got what im looking for then." He withdrew the spear from behind his back and pointed it towards the boar.

ID# 50323 results:

Battle: 2

Craft: 12

Loot: 19

MOB: 2

Hydra lunged towards the boar with his spear in hand. Perhaps it was the fact he was still tired or his inexperience with his weapon that caused him to miss drastically. "Grr, dammit". The spearman backed away a few paces, equally the boar seemed to lack any skill at this time, perhaps it was slightly to dark to see as it ran past Hydra missing his right leg. Hydra spun around and attempted to lunge at the boar again.

ID# 50325 results:

Battle: 2

Craft: 11

Loot: 19

MOB: 9

Once again Hydra had failed to hit the boar, it went quicker than anticipated and his spear got stuck in the mud. "Dammit!", to make matters worse the boar had now turned and charged this time landing a hit on Hydra's leg as he tried to jerk his spear from the ground. The boar continued passed, "Really got me there" Hydra grinned as he leant up against his spear. "Cmon I can't lose to this thing". He lifts his spear for another attempt.

Hydra (8/12)

Boar (3dmg+1) 4/4

ID# 50326 results:

Battle: 6

Craft: 12

Loot: 6

The boar charged, "Looks like im going to have to take another hit to take this thing down". Hydra winced as the boar came closer, "wait for it......... now!". The boar hit Hydra at full force sending him flying through the air, it was worth it though, Hydra's spear made contact with the boars neck "SNAKE BITE" He screamed as it cut through the boar. Hydra hit the ground with a thud. "Ow", the boar burst into shards and vanished.

Hydra (4/12) Energy 1/3

DMG (Snake Bite 2+2=4)

Boar (0/4)

Hydra crawled over to where he hit the boar, "damn tough fight... aw looks like he didn't drop anything either" He scrunched his face up, anyway I should be on my way. I'll come back for another try tomorrow.

Edited by Hydra

Hydra continued across the field and entered a forest made mostly up of deciduous tree's. "Now time to find something which will inspire me..." The spearman sighed. Over the next two answers he tried to find what he needed whilst searching for some forest soil, "Likely i'll find this stuff near a river". As he came across a small tributary the player spotted a deer drinking from a pool further upstream. "What a great sight". Hydra grinned and began to sketch, "looks like I can use you for my charm".

Edited by Hydra

By the time Hydra was done sketching the sun had fully risen, the forest came alive with the singing of birds and the smell of dew on the grass was abundant in the air. It was a beautiful scene, more whimsical than the spearman's life had previously been, before entering Aincrad. "I should look for some of this soil now, i'll stick to the river bed as the water will mean the soil is more enriched here". Hydra continued walking upstream towards where he sighted the deer earlier, the pool it was drinking from seemed quite clear, he wandered over to give it a further inspection.

ID: 50408

LD: 2

"Hmm looks like it wasn't as clear as I originally though, guess I should look around a bit more". Upstream the gradient steepened. Nearer the top of the hill a small waterfall had formed. A few willow trees dotted the banks. " If i'm not mistaken water is purer the closer it is to the source". Hydra began to climb the hill. Keeping an eye out for the ingredients he needed. 

ID# 50409 results:

LD: 13

Hydra finally reached the top of the hill gasping for breath, "The water is certainly getting clearer" he said outbreath, "still not pure enough". The spearman collapsed to catch his breath. He took out the parchment from his his pocket, and studied what he had done. "I've got a drawing and that's it..." *sighhhhhh*. "Guess I should keep trying." The player got up and continued his material hunt.

ID# 50410 results:

Loot: 11

"Still no luck..." Hydra was starting to lose daylight, he'd been searching for these materials all day and simply couldn't find a thing. "I'll give it one more try then head back to town, until tomorrow, guess I could try take on a boar again...". He lifted up his spear and began walking in the general direction towards the town. Once again he remained alert for any materials he was in need of, but his hopes weren't too high.

ID# 50412 results:

Loot: 17

As the spearman sulked back towards the town, he noticed a cave opening towards the far side of the river. "May as well, got nothing to lose". As the spearman got closer the sound of trickling water could be heard within the caves system, and water could be seen trickling down through cracks in the rock. Hydra paused for a moment before realising what he had found "...this must be limestone!". The rock had processed just enough water for Hydra to collect and take back. "Thank goodness i'm not returning empty handed" He sighs in relief.

1x Material (Pure Water)

Hydra returned to the store in town, Akane greeted him warmly, "Ah hi.. any luck?". The spearman responded "Not the best of luck, i've still got two materials to find. I had a harsh encounter with a boar earlier this morning as well... So i'm going to try to take down another one tomorrow, hopefully get a tusk". The two talked for a while then NPC nodded and wished him a good night.

Hydra awoke the following day, he had planned to go to the same route across the field, but go deeper into the forest this time to see if he could find the soil that he would possibly need. He had awoken a little later in the morning so there were plenty of boars about at this time. "Alright who should I pick today?.." He noticed a younger looking, excited boar coming towards him and equipped his spear.

ID# 50415 results:

Battle: 1

Hydra lunged for the boar, but it was far faster than the one he had previously fought. It jumped and struck him in the chest. "Gah.. I really need to work on my speed" he said with sweat running down his face. The boar turned and began to charge, once again Hydra readied his spear, hoping to catch it at the right moment. This time he charged towards the boar spear in the air. 

Hydra (8/12) (2/3 energy)

Boar (4/4)

ID# 50416 results:

Battle: 8

Loot: 15

MOB: 2

Hydra ran at the boar, however unlike yesterday he was not willing to take a hit. As the boar paced towards him he sidestepped to his left, the boar's tusk failed to make contact, but his spear however did as he thrust it to his side with his left hand (left-handed). Two quick strikes aimed at the neck crippled the boar as it ran, killing it instantly, it scraped across the floor for a few moments before shattering in the typical sword art style. "Alright, time to see if I was lucky". Hydra ran over to the spot the boar died, to his luck this one had dropped one of its tusk.

Hydra (8/12) (0/3 energy) 

Snake Bite (2x1 2+2=4) 

Boar (0/4)

1x materials (boar tusk)

Hydra pocketed the tusk, and continued on his way into the forest he had visited the day before. Rather than go upstream he decided to instead cross the river and head deeper into the thicket in hope he could find the final material he needed around there. The soil slowly became greener and less barren as mosses and vines seemed to cover them, and pockets of grass grew longer and thicker. "I wonder if anyone's been to this area before, it's rather fascinating" the spearman murmured to himself. The skies seemed to be darkening above, and a few drops of rain began falling, only then breaking on the tree cover. "An artisan huh, seems more ideal the more I think about it, a bit of luck here and there would do me well". Hydra caught his reflection in a puddle and saw he was smiling "Alright let's get this last material and craft what I need to craft"...

ID# 50418 results:

Loot: 8

Up ahead the forest opened up into a small glade, Hydra glanced around "Nothing that seems immediately obvious, it would be a good place to start looking around though". The spearman took a few steps forward, most of the soil was masked by a layer of leaf litter, so there it was difficult to tell if the soil was rich in nutrients. Hydra crouched down and ran his hand on the floor, "moist... I should definitely stick in this area". He stood up and began brushing aside the leaves with his foot, to see if any better quality soil would turn up.

ID# 50426 results:

Loot: 2

"Still nothing..." The soil was moist but its quality was poor, "No good..the soil is the main component to this clay model, I can't come back with anything". Up ahead the spearman noticed a tree which stood by itself, the rain from earlier had soaked the trunk and run to it's roots. Mushrooms crowded it's bottom, "Hmm good source of damp, maybe I should check there". Hydra walked towards the tree to try his luck.