[PP-F1] To Find a Path <<Earning a Living>>

Spoiler

Description: Every player, to survive in this death game, must make some form of Col. For some, they just hunt mobs. For others, they may earn a living and take up a profession. may meet During your search for a profession you meet a friendly NPC who will train you with your profession. You will have to material hunt and craft your item, or receive a free basic item from the NPC (such as an instrument or fishing rod for performers or fishermen.)

Light suddenly flowed over Kranzer’s body as he stepped out from beneath one of the many archways that stretched over the city streets in a city that was aptly called Starting City. Slowly his hand rose as he held it before his face almost like he wanted to get a better look at it. For several moments he just stood there as he flexed his hand into a fist only to release it a second later. He repeated this several times. It was an almost surreal with how much this form resembled his own. Largely in part due to that “special mirror” that had been placed in his inventory. Ever since that fateful day Kranzer had sort of just wandered aimlessly around the first floor without having fought a single monster. It wasn’t so much that he was afraid really though there was a tiny fringe of fright there that remained fixed in his mind since that GM in the blood colored robe revealed the truth behind this “Game” or what he felt was the truth.

He wasn’t really afraid to venture outside of the city it was more to the fact that he was just overly cautious. Everytime he worked up the nerve his mind would play through different scenarios of what could go wrong and before he knew it he lost more ground than he gained. Every time he took a single step to start his true adventure and hopefully find a way out of this place he ended up taking two steps back due to one form of indecision or another. His hand clenched into a fist until there was a subtle shake behind it due to just how firm his grip was. While the action might have hinted at some form of anger it was completely void on his face. Largely he was indifferent about the entire situation. Granted he wanted to leave this place but ultimately what could he do?

He could either accept the reality of the situation and live as best he could or completely freak out as he’d witness countless others do. It just required too much energy to do all that. Finally he allowed his hand to relax and fall down by his side. His gaze was cast towards the vast sky above while a soft sigh escaped from his slightly parted lips. “What should I be doing right now?”

Edited by Kranzer

"If more of us knew the answer to that," came a feminine voice from behind the boy, "maybe we wouldn't still be in this mess."

Of course, Lessa had not intended to eavesdrop. In fact, she had not planned to be on the first floor at all that morning. A recent realization that she was allowing her own skills to dull as she sharpened those of others had confined her to the upper floors. How could she protect others if she could not perform when the situation called for it? The fact that she had only recently learned how to reliably activate her sword arts spoke volumes to her lack of training. For selfish reasons, she had removed herself from the frontlines; those who she had once rivaled in level and skill had left her in the dust as a result. She had a long way to go.

So the girl had opted for the seventh floor that morning. Upon arrival, however, she noticed that her supply of health pots was sorely lacking. She had used them to keep low level players from dying at the end of a sharp boar's tusk, and now, she had left nothing for herself. As always, in an effort to support the businesses of up-and-coming players, she visited a first floor shop.

And that was when she heard the boy's question. Undoubtedly, it was meant for no ears but his own, but Lessa replied nonetheless. In her oversized sweatshirt and blue jeans, she hoped to avoid intimidating him. But the bag beneath her blue eyes and the edge in her tone hid very little.

If he could have jumped right out of his boots when he suddenly heard someone speak from behind him Kranzer totally would have. As it was he was so startled that he stumbled forward and quickly turned around with a look of sheer surprise painted all over his face. He was rather surprised to see her standing there having gotten so close without him realizing. Mentally he noted that he would need to refrain from drifting off into though in the future as he tried to manage a halfhearted smile for her. While her words came unexpectedly they certainly held the ring of truth in them. Kranzer nodded slightly. “Aye that is true.” She was dressed rather casually so he naturally assumed she was in the same situation as he was. Low leveled and not one to venture out of the Town of Beginnings for very long before coming back into the safety its walls provided.

Now that he’d regained a measure of composure he simply cleared his throat. While she appeared to be in the same situation as he was the look in her eyes, the overall look of being tired which wasn’t necessarily from fatigue, and the slight sharpness in her tone belied the fact that his estimation of her situation was hardly fitting at all. Though those points did not go unnoticed and he certainly tucked that information away in the back of his mind as he tried to analyze her a bit more closely. He wanted to say he regretted not having the conviction to be on the Frontlines from the very beginning but he hesitated. After all that would have been a small lie at best. Kranzer liked being alive and throwing his life on the line wasn’t something he did very easily, and usually only when a friend was in desperate need. That or someone was in danger before his very eyes. While he could appear cold he wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if he just left someone to die.

Idly his fingers ruffled the hair on the back of his head as he looked to be a ill at ease. He wasn’t prepared for this kind of situation. He’d always been more of a solitary person in life so socializing wasn’t always his strong suit. Once he got going though he could certainly talk. So in the he simply looked a little nervous and said, “Sometimes taking that first step can be the hardest part.” Kranzer let out a small nervous laugh as he adverted his gaze. He could have asked her if she was ok, but in truth he figured most people preferred their privacy and didn’t like it when people pried.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another day in the central city of floor one. Aincrad had opened a lot more floors since it had all begun, but Samriel (along with countless other players) stuck to where it was safe. How long had it been, she wondered, since they had been trapped in here? A year? It was hard to gauge with the odd passage of time. But still she kept herself busy. Since her guild fell apart, Sam had been alternating between being extremely lazy and trying to act like she was busy. Yet due to her low level, she could only do so much. Like right now. She had stumbled across an orphanage a couple of months ago. Her guild had helped them out a few times, helping the kids level up a bit to keep them entertained but safe. They also came by to give them goodies and just some company.

These kids were way too young to be playing a game like this, but of course when did parents ever actually listen or read to the warnings? The blonde couldn't remember the technical rating for this game, but knew that it had to at least be T for Teen. Most of the kids there weren't even twelve, let alone teenagers. They were always happy to see her. Well truth be told they were always happy whenever anyone visited. Of course they were free to wander the safe zone, but then their caretakers, the players that had volunteered themselves to look after the rag tag bunch of children, would worry sick and trail behind them anyway. But they weren't all cute pigtails and adorable curly hair. Some of them were real brats.

"Sucks to be short!" Samriel exclaimed with a cackle to one of her tiny pursuers. They yelled and hollered at her to give up and that they'd maker her submit, yada yada yada. "Nyeeeh!" The blonde took time to turn as she ran to pull a face at them, her tongue sticking out. And of course that caused her to crash straight into a man with long dark hair. "Oooph!" She crashed hard and winced at the landing. The kids that had been running after her stopped to laugh, calling her a few names before seeing her shake her fist at them, which caused them to immediately turn tail and run. "Yeah that's right, run you little devil midgits! Gah..." Then glancing up at Kranzer, the blonde smoothed back the hair that was loose from her long braid and smiled awkwardly. "Sorry about that. You alright?"

Several days had passed since he'd last met Lessa here in the Town of Beginnings. Despite that he had yet to truly pick a path to follow. He had an idea of what he wanted to do of course but the issue was actually taking that first step and tracking down the NPC that'd get him started along that path. In all of his time within this town he'd seen the numerous kids that ran around and the players who took on the role as their caretakers. Being the less than social individual he was Kranzer rarely sought out any conversation with them though and he had no idea on how to handle children so he usually kept a safe distance from the bunch. At times though he marveled over how they were able to have fun together despite the situation they were all in. That was know as making the most out of your situation. It didn't happen often but at times he sat on a bench in the central plaza and just watched them all playing around. The older kids and adults kept an eye on those too young to know what was best. It actually caused tears to brim at the edges of his eyes on more than one occasion. He'd been a lonely child growing up and never really had anyone to watch out for him like these kids did.

He was glad that they at least had someone to look after them. Then again if they had someone to watch out for them back in the real world then they wouldn't have been in this game to begin with. Idly he wondered if any of the kids had grown up under the same conditions as he did. Thought after thought played through his mind and slowly they took a turn towards distant memories he'd long since tried to forget. His head dipped as he let out a soft sigh. Kranzer was so enraptured by his thoughts that he barely registered the sounds of the woman and kids as they got closer. It wasn't until he felt someone run into him that he was freed from the shackles of his past and knocked clear off his feet. A grunt escaped his throat as he stood up and rubbed his backside from where he hit the ground. When he looked to see who'd went and run into him he was a little taken aback when he saw blonde haired woman there. She brushed some hair out of her face and he adverted his gaze while idly scratching at the back of his neck. "I'm fine," he said and if she'd been knocked down too he'd extend his hand to help her up. If not then he'd take a step back and stuff his hands into the pockets of his coat.

His dark eyes were fixed upon her face for several moments before he looked passed her at the fleeing children. A soft smile tugged at the corners of his lips despite himself. "They seem like they can be a handful," he commented in a low tone. Once he realized he nearly smiled he quickly shifted his expression to a more neutral one and fought to keep his cheeks from reddening as he felt a little embarrassed. While Kranzer could talk well enough when the situation called for it at times he felt a little awkward when he spoke to people for the first time.

They had both ended up on their asses and yet here he was helping her up. Taking his hand, Samriel allowed him to help her to her feet as she quirked a smile, "And they say chivalry's dead."  She was used to men being courteous to her, given her appearance. It was part of the reason she usually played as a guy in games. But it was still fun to tease them once in a while. However she was starting to get a little weirded out by the way he was staring at her, until she figured out it wasn't really her, it was over her shoulder where he was staring.

At his comment, she sighed and nodded. "You have no idea. You don't even have a braid that they seem to think is their own personal climbing rope." The blonde emphasized her comment by bringing her knee length hair over her shoulder. "My poor scalp couldn't take any more of those hellions." Though her tone and words fit, her fond expression belied them as she watched them run and play through the streets, back towards the orphanage.

Turning to look back at the man, Sam said, "I really am sorry about bowling you over like that. Can I make it up to you somehow?" She wasn't really sure how, but everyone in the starting city needed something after all that was why they were still here. "I'm Samriel by the way." She greeted, this time offering her hand to him for a shake.

When she made the comment about chivalry not being dead he blushed in embarrassment as he stumbled over his words to try and say something but nothing decipherable came out. Kranzer quickly adverted his gaze and lifted the edge of his scarf in an attempt to conceal the reddish hue that stood out on his lightly tanned skin. The last the he needed was for someone to see him blush so easily. It wasn’t until she spoke again that he looked back at her with his eyes remaining locked with hers.  His eyes widened slightly when she showed him her hair. He’d never seen someone with hair quite that long and he could imagine how painful it must be to have kids trying to use it as their personal rope to climb. Despite the tone behind her words the fondness etched into her expression mean that she at least cared about the children. Kranzer wasn’t entirely certain on how to process that so he refrained from making a comment.

When she asked if there was anything she could do to repay him for running into him the way she did he was about to tell her not to worry over it. After all if he’d been paying attention too he could have just moved out of the way. However, he hesitated before he formed his response and seemed to consider her for a moment. “Actually, there is something you could help me with but only if you want to.” He reached out and offered her a firm handshake as he said, “I’m Kranzer.” He didn’t hold her hand for long before he pulled his hand away.  I’m stuck on this quest called Earning a Living. I think I’ve finally settled on what I want to do but,” he said before his voice trailed off and he looked away to hide his embarrassment. “ I don’t know where to start it at. I think I’d like to become a merchant.”

Samriel couldn't help but smirking just a little at the reaction she had gotten out of the man, but averted her eyes as he tried to save face by pulling up his scarf. She really shouldn't tease people so. Even if it was so easy. At least he knew where her eyes were and his didn't wander. A nice change, or perhaps he simply had a great amount of willpower. Awaiting his response patiently, the blonde met his handshake with equal firmness, meeting his eyes with a smile as he introduced himself back. "Nice ta meetcha Kranzer, albeit under odd circumstances." Her head tilted as she listened to his explanation of what he needed help with. Her smile grew as she realized that it was in fact something that she could help with.

"Welp, you're in luck! I know just what to do...though I don't have a profession myself. I've helped a few people out before though and um, I used to have a friend that was a merchant." The blonde's expression dimmed only slightly with clenched jaw before she continued hurriedly, "You just need to find an NPC merchant's shop and go and speak to them. They'll be able to further your quest and tell you what to do next." Glancing around the area to figure out their location, Sam then nodded, "I think....yeah. C'mon, this way." She gestured for the long haired man to follow her as she began leading them through the winding streets and roads of the first floor's capitol.

The relief he felt at the fact that she knew what to do and the fact that she’d helped others acquire their professions was clearly evident upon Kranzer’s face. When her expression dimmed at the mention that she used to have a friend that was a merchant his dark-eyed gaze turned to focus on her. The fact that she said had a friend hinted at the fact that she no longer had that friend. Either they parted on bad terms or the friend was no longer around. The way her jaw tensed up also hinted that the wound, no matter its source, was still in the process of healing. He could have pressed her further on the matter and tried to figure out what happened but he reasoned that if she wanted to elaborate she would have. So Kranzer let the matter drop though he had little need to worry about it since she hurriedly continued her explanation.

Really? All I needed to do was talk with a NPC Merchant? That’s it,” he asked as he felt a little flustered at not having thought of that himself. It made such perfect sense that he felt so stupid for not thinking about that first. In his indecision he failed to truly consider all of his options and it made his head dip slightly as he rested his forehead against the palm of his hand. Suddenly she told him to follow her and started to walk away with a gesture for him to follow. He hurried up to walk beside her as he kept his eyes focused forward. From the way she navigated her way through the winding and for Kranzer maze-like streets he realized that she knew her way around the city pretty well. During his time here he kept to certain parts of the city and refrained from exploring too much out of fear he’d get lost within the vast town. While the place was called the Town of Beginnings it was much too large to really be considered a town.

You know,” he started as he tried to get her attention. “I heard as a merchant I would be able to appraise items to find their true value and possibly reveal hidden properties.” Feeling a  little awkward at the offer he was about to make Kranzer’s right hand rose up to his face as he idly scratched at his cheek with his index finger. “I know you offered to do this for running into me but I wouldn’t feel right leaving it at that.” His eyes shifted about the street ahead of them. For Kranzer knowledge was virtually priceless so if he let her help him here for something that didn't really hurt him at all... well he'd feel indebted to her and he couldn't have that. Leaving a favor in the wind had a way of coming back to bite him in the arse later down the road. “I could always appraise your equipment.” Kranzer looked at her out of the corner of one eye before he quickly added, “For a discount of course!”

At Kranzer's somewhat flabbergasted tone as he reiterated her statement of how to accomplish his chosen quest, Samriel nodded once and replied, "Yep." Her lips popping at the 'p' sound. "I mean it won't be finished just there. That's just the first, er well I guess second? Thing you need to do. I think you randomly get the quest automatically, but then you have to choose what profession you want and that can be triggered by any number of things. But once you decide that, just go to a NPC run shop of the profession of your choice and they'll set you up with what you have to do next." The blonde spoke as she lead the way, knowing exactly where she was going.

Sam glanced aside at the man not too much taller than herself as he spoke of a merchant's abilities, piquing her interest. "I didn't know that merchants could do things like that. Just thought they were like the jack of all trades profession." Shrugging, the braided woman paused before making another turn at an easy pace before looking back to Kranzer as he made his offer. Her face blossomed into an expression of pleasant surprise, mouth quirking in a subtle sign of amusement. "Well aren't you a nice guy." She ribbed a little with good natured humor. "No need for the discount, everybody's gotta make a living, right? Even in a game, heh."

Thinking on her new equipment that she hadn't really had a chance to try out yet, Samriel nodded. "That sounds good though. An item can really have hidden properties? I wonder what kind..." Her gear was already pretty amazing, but at the thought that it might be even more so amazed her. Her balanced teetered as she rocked back on her heels and walked backwards two steps. "Heeere we are," The healer showed off the door to the unassuming shop like a show girl on a television game show before holding said door open for Kranzer before walking in behind him.

Edited by Samriel

Kranzer scratched at the back of his neck as he took everything she said in. So after he talked with said merchant he'd be given another task? The young man nodded slightly. It did make sense after all. Back in the real world when a person wanted to learn a trade they apprenticed under a skilled tradesman. From the sound of it things were the same even here in Aincrad. When she expressed that she didn't know a merchant possessed an ability to unlock hidden secrets in both a weapon and armor Kranzer immediately nodded. "That's what I heard anyway," he said with a nervous smile. Not everything piece of information he'd managed to acquire from other players proved to be true after all. That sudden doubt that flashed over his eyes would be evidence enough of that. "I guess we will find out soon." If it was false then there wasn't anything he could do about it. He'd already taken his first step on this path. To turn back now would be paramount to embracing his indecisive nature. That wasn't something he could do right now. He kept walking but when she said it wasn't necessary for him to give her a discount his brow furrowed slightly Evidently he wouldn't be able to pay her back that way and so he scratched at the back of his neck. "Well in that case if you ever choose to take up this quest invite me along. It would be the least I could do."

When she suddenly backtracked in her steps Kranzer came to an abrupt halt. Had he said something to offend her? His thoughts quickly dissolved as she revealed that they'd arrived at the shop. She opened the door for him and he blinked for a moment before saying, "T-thank you." That was a new one but he wasn't one to argue so he quickly stepped through the door and into the small shop. Various tables and shelves lined the room with a variety of goods stocked on them. A rather young looking man with black hair and rather nice looking clothes rested against the counter. Upon seeing that he had customers the NPC immediately perked up. "Greetings! How can I help you today?" Kranzer cleared his throat as he walked up to the counter. "I'm actually here to... ask you about becoming a merchant." Kranzer always felt odd talking to NPCs and he always found it to be rather creepy on how they seemed to be able to interact with players. "Oh? An up and coming rival are you," the man asked as he leaned forward and stared at the young man with a discerning eye. It was almost like he intended to appraise Kranzer's worth. 

Suddenly the Merchant leaned back and crossed his arms. Whether he liked what he saw or not wasn't immediately evident. "So tell me young man. What makes you think you'd be a good merchant?" Well that was the last thing Kranzer expected to hear. He honestly thought he'd just get a quest prompt to accept. His gaze shifted to Samriel as if to ask for help before the Merchant spoke again. "Well?" Kranzer laughed nervously as the Merchant grew visibly frustrated as he slammed his hand against the counter. "This is no laughing matter young man!" Kranzer blinked in surprise that the NPC kept calling him young man when the guy didn't look any older than he was. "Tell you what," the Merchant said as he leaned back with a knowing smile plastered on his face. "Prove your dedication to me. Leave the town and gather a mushroom that grows deep in the woods for me. It's yellow with white spots along its talk." He waved his hand and seemed to be done with the conversation. Kranzer's gaze shifted over to Samriel. "Are all NPCs like that?" Kranzer nearly jumped when the small grey window popped up in front of him. He read over it real quick and realized it was the prompt for the next stage of the quest. He let out a low sigh as it looked like he had no choice but to take a trek through the woods.

Edited by Kranzer

Samriel considered his offer with a shrug. "I can never decide what profession to take. Or rather, what would be the most useful. There's a surplus of blacksmiths, tailors and alchemists and quite a few merchants. I just can't decide out of what's left. Besides, it sounds like a lot of work to keep crafting regularly and get mats so you can keep crafting...." The woman was just too lazy to consider tying herself down in such a way just yet. Then her blonde brain began to belatedly pick up that he was still trying to think of a way to pay her back for her help and she just kept shooting him down. "Not that I don't appreciate the offer." She added on a but awkwardly, embarrassed at her lack of tact.

After entering the shop, they were given a standard greeting and Sam stood aside, glancing at all the things that she couldn't buy out of boredom as Kranzer spoke to the NPC. When he asked why the long haired man thought he would be a good merchant, the woman looked up in curiosity, wondering how he would reply. But when Kranzer looked to her for help, she could only raise her eyebrows and shrug at him, attempting to mouth, "Just answer honestly." The NPC drew attention back to him though, insisting an answer to which Kranzer could only awkwardly chuckle and fidget. No surprise, this didn't win the shop keeper over, and instead he thought of some weird quest to prove the man's dedication. Resting her right elbow in her left palm as her right hand shifted to cover her smile as she snorted at Kranzer's bewildered expression. "Definitely not all. Guess you're just lucky." Sam told him with a pat on the shoulder. "So it's off to the woods we go? At least it's on this floor so it we shouldn't have to worry about much." Raising a hand, the blonde flicked open her menu before sending Kranzer a party invite.

"Oh lucky me," he said dryly as he stared at the Merchant but quickly offered her an awkward smile. "I guess so and yeah nothing more than wolves out there. I uh," he said as he hesitated for a moment. He was just about to thank her for everything she did. Kranzer didn't really expect her to do more than show him where the merchant was but the realization that she'd just offered to venture out of the city with him hit him like a bag of bricks. "Oh." His voice sounded rather meek. Well now he felt like he was really going to owe her for this. It wasn't something he'd turn down obviously. Even though he often traveled out side of the city alone it wasn't something he felt was really a safe or wise thing to do. When the window popped up to indicate he'd gotten a party request he reached out and pressed accept. "T-thank you," he managed to say before he cleared his throat. He had to at least appear confident otherwise he'd just end up making a bad first impression. "We should probably get going. I try not to stay outside of the city after the sun has set."

Kranzer would go ahead and leave the store and start making his way south towards the gates that opened up to the vast grassy plains beyond. From there it would be a short trek to the woodland. The trees were thin and sparse at first but they soon grew thick and larger in numbers the farther one traveled from the Town of Beginnings. He didn't say much as they walked. His dark-eyed gaze rested upon the path ahead of them. That is until they finally reached the gate and then he turned to look at her. "If we end up in a fight do you prefer a front-line role?" He'd avoided staring at her too much to avoid any misunderstandings but it was important for him to know what she was capable of. The last thing he needed was to put her life on the line over a silly little mushroom.

At Kranzer's hesitation, Samriel tilted her head, wondering if maybe she had been a bit too forward. He seemed a rather subdued person. But before she could backtrack her 'offer' and say that if he wanted to do it solo, she wouldn't impose. When he thanked her however, she simply smiled and agreed with his statement that they should hurry up. "I try not to either. Mobs change out and the nocturnal ones can be a bit nastier if you don't have a group. Not to mention the whole visibility and lurking PK boogiemen." Her tone was lighthearted but her warning was absolutely serious. It was never good for players as low leveled as themselves to be out of a safe zone at night.

Ignoring the NPC merchant's stares as they left, the blonde woman trailed alongside Kranzer as he lead them to where the quest had intended. As soon as they reached the border of the town's safe zone, Sam paused to equip her armor, a golden breastplate inlaid in a trim with lines of small rubies to accentuate curves accompanied with leather trousers and the hollowed out skin of a fox's head as a hood, rubies inserted for eyes. After putting her weapon and shield in the 'at ready' status, the blonde kept pace with her temporary companion. They were quiet, simply soaking up the sounds of the wildlife as they walked.

At least until Kranzer finally spoke up and Sam glanced aside at him in curiosity, considering his question as she looked him up and down. He looked like he had a light sort of build. Probably going for damage dealing and evasion, preferring to be light on his feet. At least that's what she was getting off of him currently. For all she knew, he could suddenly equip tank like heavy armor. So she answered honestly, "As long as I'm not under leveled to whatever we fight, I prefer front line. I'm going for a tankier sort of build. Lots of mitigation and thorns. I can back you up too, I have First Aid. I'll just rely on you to actually kill anything though." Samriel winked at the long haired man, completely fine with her inability to deal much damage. "I'm guessing you're DPS? Light armor and....." She was going to take a guess, but honestly there were too many options for DPS builds in Sword Art Online.

Samriel demonstrated knowledge of how the beasts acted after the sun set along with the hindrance of not being able to see very well and how it affected your ability to strike at an opponent. When she made mention of PKers who lurked out in the dark places of the world his mind envisioned all of them as wolves driven mad by their hunger as they wait for a scrap of meat to be dangled in front of their faces. It really wasn’t a pleasant thought. One he didn’t want to dwell on so he quickly focused his attention elsewhere. As they walked he opened his menu and started to cycle through it to double check his gear. The dark grey shirt and trousers he wore were really just for appearance sake. They didn’t offer him any true benefit. The pair of plain black boots or fingerless gloves that he wore either and in fact the scarf he had loosely wrapped around his neck was just for show as well. He just liked being able to hide his face when he was able. It gave him the feeling of being removed from a situation and it also allowed him to hide away while he blushed, something that seemed to be happening all too often since he arrived here in this world.

The revelation that she was set up to be a tank incited a slight look of interest from the young man. His eyebrows rose and he asked, “Oh? You’re both a support and a tank? So you’re something like a paladin?” It was then that he first took notice of the gear she’d equipped and the instant his eyes lowered to look at her jewel encrusted armor he quickly shifted his gaze elsewhere. “Aye I went with a DPS build, and in fact I will eventually branch off into some support skills like First Aid.” When her question was left hanging he turned to look into her eyes and pulled back the left edge of his coat to reveal the dagger that was secured to his left hip. “I’m a dagger user. While I don't really like to fight I don't have any qualms taking these beasts down so just leave finishing them off to me.” Suddenly Kranzer slowed to a stop when the edge of the treeline became visible in the distance. "Looks like we're almost there." Once they got inside the woods he'd just have to keep looking around until he found that peculiar mushroom that the Merchant needed. What it had to do with being a Merchant he had no idea. It was too late to second guess his choice at this point. Those dark eyes of his shifted towards her. "You ready for this," he asked. If she gave her confirmation he'd start off again. It'd probably take another minute of walking before they arrived at the fringes of the woodlands.

"Would you prefer to help me search or keep watch for any wolves that might be sneaking up on us?" If a fight did break out he'd be quick to react of course, but he was out here for an item and not something that he'd get off a monster drop either.

Samriel blinked at his question and a nostalgic smile began to spread slowly on her face as she nodded in agreement. "Yeah, now that you mention it, I am. Hehe. When I first picked up the game and started playing, I kinda wanted to be a bruiser. Or Thor. Basically Thor. The shield was added as an afterthought. But once we all found out we were stuck I started reading over the manual and got recruited into a guild. Someone that could heal in the middle of combat was more needed than a damage dealer. So kept the heavy armor and added a shield and got to healing." The blonde shrugged, as if what she did was simply the most natural thing in the world. At least the world they currently lived in. She noticed how he kept looking away from her, never looked at her too long or kept eye contact. Perhaps he was just shy? Or could it be something else? She didn't see any reason to bring it up and so left it alone, content to keep her eyes moving, looking ahead as well as well everywhere else honestly. Never hurt to be on guard after all.

Giving the man a frowning glance as he said that he wanted to duo DPS and support, Sam's lavender eyes flicked down to his dagger when he showed it at his hip. [color=#5f3b8a]"Mhm..."[/color] She commented simply, wrestling with whether to say anything or not...it really wasn't her place but... "No offense to you, but I'd make sure to hold off on wasting SP on things besides your weapon and armor skills until you're well leveled. Personally I think it's good for everyone to have First Aid, but not at the sacrifice of something else. DPS users like yourself need to make sure that they're well enough protected after all. But it's your build." She wasn't a real tank after all, even if she might be built like one, so she couldn't get aggro off of other players with more useful skills like Howl.

But when the subject of builds and skills was finally exhausted, Kranzer came to a stop, remarking at the closeness of the woods that were their target destination before asking if she was ready. Taking a split second to bring her at ready items to summon in her hands, a silver round shield and one handed warhammer materialized in her hands, glistening with precious gemstones that mimicked the colors of the rising and setting sun. Giving her companion a nod, she confirmed verbally, "Yep, ready." They continued until they finally arrived at the fringes of the woods and Samriel was frankly surprised that they hadn't been beget by any monsters so far. It wasn't like this path was usually teaming with mobs or anything, she simply didn't think that they'd get that lucky.

Considering the question Kranzer posed to her for a moment, Sam eventually replied, "I'll keep watch." Smiling cheekily at the man she told him, "After all, this is your quest. It's your determination that needs testing, not mine." Letting out a tinkling laugh, the blonde continued into the forest, keeping her eyes peeled for any signs of mobs, wolves or otherwise.

Edited by Samriel

Thor,” he asked with a slightly wide-eyed gaze. He stared at her in wonder for several moments. The way she talked it was like it was an easy choice for her to make. If only he could decide on things quite as easily. When she frowned and glanced his way he thought he might have said something wrong, but when she offered him advice about investing in his weapon and armor first he looked ahead and truly considered her words for a few moments. “That’s actually some sound advice. Thank you , and yeah I can see why that’d be best." Once she confirmed she was ready and that'd she'd keep watch he felt rather relieved. This way if anything did try to attack them they'd at least have some forewarning. The mention of his determination being tested made him let out  a soft sigh. For some reason he didn't expect this to be such an ordeal to take up the Merchant profession but he might as well see it through now. Especially since he had someone here helping him. "Alright, let's go." His voice flowed with not only determination but acceptance. The young man stepped between two trees as he entered the woods.

He walked for several minutes. As he walked he'd stop momentarily by one tree and look ahead. He'd then pick a tree farther ahead and walk to it before repeating the process. In the real world getting turned around in an area with dense trees was all too easy and what he was currently doing was a basic navigation skill to make sure you traveled in a straight line. If they got lost out here in the woods it could end up taking them quite a while in finding their way back. As an after thought Kranzer asked a question about something Samriel had mentioned a while ago. "So you're in a guild?" He didn't look her way as he asked and instead remained focused on keeping on a straight path and keeping a keen eye out for that mushroom. He came to a stop and motioned for her to do the same. "I'm going to look around here for a bit." He looked around for a moment and picked up a small leaf only to set it up against the root of one of the trees that was in his direct path. "So I'll know which direction we were headed," he said with a brief smile. 

He started his search in the immediate area and slowly started to work his way out in a counter-clockwise pattern. Try as he might though he just wasn't able to find the mushroom. Well he did find all sorts of fungi. The forest was abundant with all of it. There just wasn't a yellow one with white dots along its stalk among them. With a low grumble he turned around and started to head back over towards where Samriel was.

ID: 53603; LD: 8 [Nothing Found]

Edited by Kranzer

Fidgeting under Kranzer's wondrous gaze at her casual statement that she had been trying to be Thor when she first picked up the game, she wondered if he was impressed of the character she had been modeling her own character after or her brazenness in attempting to play as a man, though she hadn't stated that outright. "Well it is a fantasy kinda game. Thor seemed appropriate." Plus she just thought he was really cool at the time. What? So sue her.

The blonde wasn't sure how the other player would take her well meaning advice but relaxed when he thanked her for it, smiling at the warm reception and noting that he seemed a tad...relieved? That she said she would guard him. Honestly she was just glad to be helpful since she pretty much invited herself along. True to her word, Sam played the diligent lookout, eyes flicking around constantly, though she paid enough attention to her companion to stay close by and not get lost as he took a meticulous path of his own design, a straight line. Harder than one thought in wood such as these. But at Kranzer's question, the woman paused, looking down at her feet for a moment before replying steadily, "No, not anymore. We disbanded a few months ago." 

Glancing over at his back as he stated that he was going to look around, she nodded with an acknowledging smile after he gave the reason for the strategically placed leaf. Staying put, Samriel was sadly unaware of the literal wolf at her back. It had crept up on the pair but only now attacked when the higher leveled player left. She was just taking a step to the side when she felt something lunge past her, narrowly missing a tackle from the wolf. "What th-?!" The healer spun in place, trying to bring her hammer down on the monster but missing by a mile as she stumbled back to face it.

Samriel (ID# 53768)
BD:
  2 (miss)
HP: 4/4  EP: 1/1    Mit: 18, Regen: 9, Thorns: 7, Dmg: 2, Acc: 1, Eva: 0, Para: 0, Hate: 0

Wolf
MD:
  1 (miss)
HP:Damage:Mit: 1

Edited by Samriel

His shoulders slumped as he walked back along the path. Kranzer had intended to keep an eye out as he walked but the sound of Samriel's voice suddenly drew his attention and made him run towards where he'd left her. He'd kept her within eyesight but from the angle he was at a tree blocked his view. Kranzer ran around the tree just in time to see her hammer miss its mark and the wolf's hackles raise in response. For an instant he hesitated as he tried to figure out if he wanted to intercede or not but it only lasted less than a second. The side of his coat was pulled back and his dagger sang with a metallic ring as it was freed from its sheath. "Stand back," he shouted as he closed the distance between him and the wolf. The dagger was held low with his arm reared back in preparation to plunge the blade into the wolf's flank. As he charged forward a subtle lavender glow flowed along the blade's edge. Now that it wasn't concealed by the coat this would be the first time Samriel would have seen it. The hilt was wrapped in black cloth. The blade's cross guard extended out and curved down over his fingers. The opposite end was angled up to give a place for his thumb to rest and to provide more post when the blade was thrust forward. The blade was double edged and a deep blue that almost looked black. The edges of the blade was darker though and from the looks of it was actually black. Which gave a dazzling effect when the lavender light flowed along the blade's edge.

The instant the distance vanished between the young man and the wolf his dagger flashed forward twice in quick succession. Each strike plunged deep within the wolf's side which left huge red gaps in their wake. The wolf let out a low yelp before its body broke down into shard of blue data. Kranzer breathed heavily as he rested one hand on his knee while crouched down. He took a quick look around before he slid his dagger back into its sheath and sighed. "That was a little weaker than I thought." Had he been a little hasty by stepping in?

Spoiler

Roll ID #53934 - BD: 10[9+1] [Kranzer CRITS with Side Bite!]

MD:  N/A

Kranzer: 28 HP | 7-2=5 EP | (4+1)(2*1)=10 DMG | 1 ACC | 2 EVA | 12 MIT

Dire Wolf: [4-(10-1)]

Dead HP | 3 DMG | 0 ACC | 0 EVA | 1 MIT

Hate: Kranzer[2]

Turns: Kranzer >

(Using Fate’s Hand[1 Acc; 2 Dmg]; Merlin’s Shroud[12 Mit; 2 Eva])

Edited by Kranzer

Samriel was regaining her balance when she heard Kranzer's voice call out and glanced over at him, seeing that he was running in fast and hot with his dagger out, the blonde quickly back pedaled. She had no qualms about him taking over the fight, and so brought up her shield, ready to help if he needed it. Which he didn't. She was right in her earlier assumption that he was higher leveled than herself after she witnessed a rather impressive display of a Sword Art, her eyes widening to take it all in. The word 'pretty' came to mind as she watched the man finish off the lone wolf with a single stab. The young woman would have had an urge to clap if her hands weren't otherwise occupied or if it hadn't just been some level one mob.

Still worth a friendly nod though, which she gave the long haired man before frowning slightly at his heavy breathing while he crouched down, resting a hand on his knee. "You okay?" She asked with slight concern. At his remark about it being weak she shrugged, "It is the first floor after all. Thanks for the assist." The blonde didn't even feel a smidgen of annoyance at the man's 'KS'. If he hadn't, there was a very real possibility of it taking a dozen long drawn out minutes for her to finish it off on her own with her pitiful damage output. "Any luck on the mushroom kingdom front?"