[PP-F11] An Evening in the Mountains [Shizuka]

The sun had set, and various critters had appeared. Mainly lighting bug which only added to the atmosphere. Sounds and the lights of the festival could still be heard and seen from below them, as the pair made it up into the mountains. Lowenthal held Shizuka's hands the entire time, just happy to have her close to him. The pinkette had wanted to come up to the mountains, to enjoy the fireworks alone with him, which was something, he guessed. As they walked, Lowenthal spoke. "So Shizuka. I don't think I'm hiding the fact that I like you too well. I mean, it's kind of obvious, isn't it?" Lowenthal asked. If it wasn't obvious before, it was now. Lowenthal wished he could take back what he said, reword it, make it sound better. But it was too late. He had already said it aloud, and there was no taking it back. He would just have to roll with it, and hope for the best.

Shizuka's eyes lit up in the night sky, her face red with embarrassment as she felt her hand being clutched from within the orange-haired man's palms. Love was something that Shizuka had experienced before yet that was not true love but rather the lust of being someone of youth that had attracted her to experiencing such a love. Yet, it was, once again, not true love. However, this might just be true love. This might be something that Shizuka can keep with her for a very long time... Well, at least hopefully a long time. Through the night, she could see fireworks shoot to the sky, blowing up and showing great images of different colors and decorations. Truly, it was a brilliant night and little did she know, the night would definitely be transforming into something of even more significance to her life.

Soon, as the two continued to walk, Shizuka swayed her arms around in excitement and kept her hand in the palms of Lowenthal's hand. With a smile, she could only keep her eyes on the beauty of the fireworks but the fireworks compared nothing to the handsomeness and attractiveness of Lowenthal. His loving gaze stared at her and as she made eye contact, her face became flushed with a blush. The next sentence that the man spoke was somewhat of a confession. Somewhat. But somewhat is better than nothing right? Lowenthal hadn't exactly been that sincere with the confession but in no way did Shizuka mind. All she wanted was some sort of sign that the orange haired man had feelings for her and it mattered not to her the tone of the confession.

Shizuka's smile widened as she heard the confession. And soon, she began to speak after stopping. "Geez... I haven't exactly been hiding my feelings very well from you have I?"  She said, embarrassed yet wanted to keep the tone light. It was then that a boom sound could be heard from the sky. It was yet another firework and this one was different from the others. It was a pink heart and it lasted in the sky for quite a bit of time before faltering. Yet, as the heart remained in the sky, Shizuka clinched and leaned onto Lowenthal's chest. "I... I love you."

Lowenthal stopped walking beside Shizuka, now frozen in his tracks. It came out her mouth, through her lips so easily. Lowenthal blinked once, still rebooting from what Shizuka had just said. 'I Love You'. When was the last time he had heard those words? As he thought, Shizuka had buried herself into his chest, hugging him closely. At this point Lowenthal didn't know how he felt. He was happy that she loved him, but upset that it was so soon. He was excited that he shared these feelings with her, but was angry that he couldn't bring himself to say them first. Lowenthal smiled, before breaking into a chuckle. "I'm so happy." Lowenthal said, grabbing Shizuka in his arms, and swinging her as he spun in place. Lowenthal stopped spinning, and only held Shizuka tightly to him. He wanted to say it back, those special words, but he couldn't. He wanted it to mean more. He had shared those words with another, and Shizuka was more to Lowenthal then anyone else in the world had been. "Shizuka... I." Lowenthal started. "I'm so much more then in love with you. I'm so much enthralled with you, that I can't even find the words to even begin to tell you how I feel for you." Lowenthal said, pulling Shizuka from his chest. "So I guess, I love you too wil have to do for now." Lowenthal smiled, as he leaned into Shizuka, placing his lips onto hers, embracing her in a kiss.

Shizuka smiled. She had anticipated that Lowenthal shared the same feelings as she did and of course, she was pleased. However, she was still nervous when she told him of her feelings. Indeed, the time that it takes for one to speak and the time that one receives the response was a nerve wrecking one but when she finally received the answer... And the answer being everything that she wanted to hear and even more, she was happy. No, happy wasn't a strong enough word for it. The better word was probably delightful, unbelieving... Any word that could possibly be used as a synonym for joy was flooding Shizuika's emotions. Just a couple of days ago, she had been a lost, depressed sheep wandering around a cliff that could fall at any time.

Now,  Shizuka was delighted and healthy. A powerful mistress of the night sky. Her confidence was coming back... Now that she had someone to live for... Someone to be with. And he loved her just as much as she did. With a laugh, her light body was lifted up by the orange haired man and she continued laughing as she was spun from one side to the next atop the mountain in the night sky. After a while, the man calmed down and engulfed her in a kiss... A kiss that she willingly accepted. With her hands behind the man's head, she kissed him and after holding for what seemed like forever, she let go and blushed as she laid down.

"Lay next to me Lowenthal. And stay close to me please. I want your warmth and we can continue to watch the firework as we stay together."

Lowenthal's face turned into a shade that closer resembled Shizuka's hair, as she pulled away from thier embrace. She then lied down, and instructed him to lie down next to her. Lowenthal nodded, and lied down next to her pulling her close to him. As Shizuka rested her head upon his chest, he nuzzled the top of her head. He wrapped an arm around her, and held her close to his chest. Never wanting to let her go. The sun had set, and the fireworks would start soon. The fireworks could happen, but they would pale in comparison to the feeling that Lowenthal had welling in his chest.

"After the fireworks, you think we could still be together? I mean, my place is just on the beach." Lowenthal offered the woman on his chest.

"Sure, I don't see why not. It's not like I have anything better to do... Except to stay with you."

Shizuka said, sighing and looking up at the sky. She liked the atmosphere... She liked the sky. She liked the gentle sounds of bugs and she liked the booming voice of the sky and the fireworks. Most importantly, she loved Lowenthal, how he looked, how he spoke and everything about him that made him who he is. She loved his occasional humor. She loved how he knew when to be serious and when not to be. He is perfect... in every way possible within Shizuka's eyes. He was high leveled yet funny, unlike the rest of the front liners. This is why Shizuka loved him so and this is how Shizuka wants him to stay like even if he is criticized for his strange... No, not strange, but different perspective on life.

But Shizuka loves it. Every way that he is, Shizuka loves him.

After a while of staying on his chest, Shizuka began to speak gently. She had changed her method of speaking... Instead of speaking so fiercely and coldly like she used to... She spoke with gentleness and love... Especially in front of Lowenthal. And that is how she plans to be from now on... A happy girl that everyone can turn to when they need something. "Lowe," Shizuka spoke, looking at the fireworks as they burst in the sky, "I wonder if we can be together like this forever. The last boss fight was a close one... Where both of us could've died. What if... What if..." Shizuka finished, feeling tears coming from her eyes and finding the thought of them separating unbearable.

Lowenthal blushed, then smiled as Shizuka accepted his offer. Shizuka then shifted her tone, into one that was much more softer than before. She expressed worries of what would happen if they continiued to go to the front lines. Lowenthal thought. He thought for a moment, before speaking. "Then we'll just avoid dying. Simple as that." Lowenthal said, confidently. "I don't ever want to lose you, nor do I want to out you through the pain and stress of fearing over me. Which is why, I'm going to retire from the front lines." Lowenthal said, taking in a deep breath. The front lines, just wasn't for him. He was always messing up, tripping over himself, and relying on people to help him in the end. It was only a matter of time before that wasn't enough. "I have a house, I have reached an adequate level, and most importantly I have you." Lowenthal said. "There's no changing my mind either. So, stop that crying thing you're doing." Lowenthal said, wiping the tears away from Shizuka's face with his hand. "Besides, front lines are boring. I mean, I'd rather spend the rest of my days with you." Lowenthal said.

Shizuka smiled as the man offered her himself. Indeed, he had chosen her over the front lines and for a player of Sword Art Online, the front lines were what everyone was trying to achieve. Many have tried to get into the front lines and many had failed. Those who do eventually reach it either die from it or stay alive.... Yet, most do not back down. However, Here, Lowenthal was willing to do such a thing for her.

But it was unsettling. Surely, the front lines were where a soldier wants to be. In the midst of a battle against huge bosses. Where threats and dangers blared from all sides of a man. Yet, here, the orange haired man was willing to give up all of that... All of the glory, all of the front line combat. For her.

I'm something that someone treasures... Shizuka finally realized and cuddled closer to Lowenthal as the fireworks raged on overhead.

Shizuka, no doubt, is also going to retire. There was no point of her stay in the front lines. This game doesn't have to be about hatred. In fact... A story doesn't have to be action-packed. A story with fire, weapons, and combat can sometimes be tiny when compared to a story of love, peace, and kindness. That is Shizuka's story. A story that has just begun for her... And she shall end the story eventually with peace and comfort. That is who she truly is... She wasn't fit for combat or any of that nonsense... She was Shizuka, the princess of peace and soon to be... hopefully, housewife.

"Hm. Thank you, Lowe... But if you aren't doing this to your own approval, don't retire from the frontlines. All I want is for you to be happy. And if that means fighting those bosses, go ahead and continue. But, if you are really willing to stay with me forever and be in peace... Then I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you in this game... A life of peace that doesn't involve boss fighting. I want to share a life with you... A life that is peaceful and loving. Geez... The future is brighter than ever..."

Lowenthal grimaced slightly as Shizuka called him out on his feelings. He didn't want to leave the frontlines, he wanted to get stronger and protect people. but. It got every step of the way. He wanted to keep moving forward, but every time he made a stride it seemed others were always two or three steps in front him. And frankly, it was demoralizing. Zel would always outclass him, and others would follow. Hikoru had already caught up to his damage output, and had earned Shadowed Path back from him. Lowenthal had nothing to earn by going to the front lines, nothing to offer them anymore. He was beyond useless there, but here he could something for someone. "A peaceful life kinda sounds boring." Lowenthal admitted with a chuckle. "However, I'm sure we can find something to spice it up." Lowenthal said, forgetting that the fireworks had been going off for the last few minutes.

After the fireworks had ended, Lowenthal stood up and held a hand out for Shizuka to take. "Come on, let's head to my place. It's getting pretty cold out." Lowenthal said, smiling to the pinkette he so dearly loved.

• 2 weeks later...

Shizuka chuckled. She could sense that Lowenthal still had doubts about leaving the front lines and she had no problem with that. All she wanted was for the man to be happy and if he wasn't happy out of the front lines, she will definitely wish for him to return. It mattered not to Shizuka... She was being selfish to restrict the orange haired man from being in the place that he so wished to be. It was just... Just that she couldn't bare to let him go and she knew fully well that Lowenthal was lying to himself in order to offer comfort to both him and her. She wanted to be someone that didn't cause a burden to the man.

"Lowe? In the future... If you want to return to the front lines, I just want to let you know that I support you." Shizuka said and looked down as she took Lowenthal's hand as support and stood up. The fireworks had ended and it had been fantastic, a scar in her memory, something that she will remember. Her pink hair drifted in the air as she smirked and dragged Lowenthal along as she charged down the hill in top speed. 

"Come on! Let's get some exercise in first!" Shizuka shouted in a tone of playfulness and a voice that she had not heard of in such a long time... So long that she had forgotten.

...Forgotten just how much she loved her old, shy, cheerful self.

Lowenthal chuckled. "So, I'm that easy to read huh?" He asked, guessing that she sensed his hesitation in leaving the front lines. But right now, the front lines were of no matter. Right now, Lowenthal only cared about Shizuka. He held her hand tightly as she took it. And Lowe was glad he did as Shizuka broke off into a run. Exercise she said, laughing. Lowenthal laughed with her, quickly getting his feet beneath himself and running alongside her. His place was quite a ways away, he would eventually tire out from running but he would hope that Shizuka would run out of stamina first.