[PP-F1] The New Contender Has Gone Fishing?! [Mack] <<Earning A Living>>

This was probably one of the absolute worst days of her life. In all of her life Magda had been overly confident in everything she did so it wasn't an easy thing for her to simply ask someone for assistance. As she sat there her gaze focused on the space before her. She spent quite a number of hours seeking out a place she could be alone in the Town of Beginnings and that proved to more difficult that she first imagined. Eventually she did and she crouched down in the alleyway so that her form was partially concealed in the shadows cast down from where the buildings blotted out the sun. "Open," she whispered with a tone that was barely audible. When nothing happened she grew visibly agitated. "Initiate." Nothing. Her brow furrowed as she ruffled her crimson hair with a low distraught groan. Just how was she supposed to open this menu interface she kept hearing about! Magda leaned back against the wall as a low rumbling noise emanated from her stomach. There was a slight shift in her expression as her stomach chose that very moment to remind her that she was hungry. "Ugh. Why didn't I play more of these things when I was growing up," she complained to no one in particular. She knew well and good why she'd never bothered to pick up gaming. She was too busy with her social life and later in her life her training. Training that evidently didn't account for jack here in this virtual world.

Oh she wasn't pleased at all as her hand rested against her brow. Crimson hair fail over her face as she sighed. She was going to have to figure this out eventually come hell or high water and nothing would get in her way. She'd see to that.

Edited by Magda

"Or," a deep voice boomed from behind Magda, "you could try swiping your finger in the air to activate the menu," Mack intoned dryly, crossing his arms over his chest as he came up on his sister's location. Ever since Magda and Michiko had made their appearances within Aincrad known to him, Mack had insisted that the three of them stay in a party. The truth was that he wanted to know where each of them was at all times and in all ways. There were certainly enough ways within Aincrad that someone could get into trouble. Especially someone female. "What exactly are you trying to do? What's the big plan for today? Someone needs to keep you and Michiko in line, out of trouble, and alive."

She was so intent on figuring this thing out that she failed to notice her brother as he walked up on her. Magda simply sat there with one arm resting upon her knee while the other ruffled the side of her hair which was one of her tells when she grew increasingly frustrated. It wasn't until she heard his voice that she suddenly jolted with surprise and became aware of his presence. For a moment she thought about asking him how he found her but she was so flustered that she did something else entirely. A nervous laugh erupted from her throat as her free hand ruffled through the hair on the back of her neck. She could have tried to deny having been trying to do anything and in the attempt to avoid too much of a blow to her pride she very well might have. However, this was Mack that stood before her and if there was anyone who was able to see through her bravado it would definitely have to be him. For once she listened to his suggestion mostly because she just didn't think it would work. Who installed a menu interface that reacted to... well look at that. Her finger swiped down and the menu popped right up. She pressed a few buttons before she finally figured out how to close the interface. Now that she was all flustered and embarrassed she stood up. "I was just about to try that actually," she said casually with a slight shrug of her right shoulder. She just couldn't resist trying to save face after all.

Upon being asked about what she wanted to do today her lips parted in a large toothy grin and she was about to eagerly go off on a little rant but it died long before it began when he insinuated that her and their sister needed to be kept out of trouble. "Me," she said as she pointed her finger back at herself. "Get in trouble? Psh!" Magda waved her hand dismissively. "Never." Course she usually managed to find trouble wherever she went so his fears weren't completely unjustified. Then her expression slowly shifted and it was almost like a switch flipped in her mind though as her excitement returned. "Actually," she said with a heavy draw on y. "I've heard tales of these rare fish monsters that only a few have gotten to see let along catch. I also heard those who catch them actually get to fight them!" Her right hand was balled up into a fist only to slam it into the open palm of her left a few times as if she meant to illustrate her point. "Sooooo, I was thinking about picking up fishing." She shrugged her shoulders as she waited to see what he had to say. She'd never gotten the opportunity to go fishing back in the real world so here would be as good of a place as any to start. All she needed to do was find the NPC that offered the quest according to everything she'd overheard.

"You're here, you've already gotten into trouble," Mack replied in an almost dismissive tone to his twin's protestations that she would never get in trouble. He crossed his arms over his broad chest. He was still working on armor and weapons for both Magda and Michiko, until then he had essentially put his foot down that neither one of them was to leave any safe zone without him, or one of the other members of the Knights of the Blood Oath, going with them. He crossed his arms over his chest as he watched Magda scroll through her menus. She really was completely unfamiliar with these kinds of games and, as a result, she more that Michiko would require considerably more attention and babysitting. Especially in the early going.

"That sounds like as good a plan as any," the massive man rumbled in response to Magda's stated desire to become a fisherman. It was as good a job as any and, to Mack's knowledge, there weren't that many people within Aincrad that had selected that for their profession. That would put Magda's skills in high demand, if she got to a high enough level in the profession that was. "Do you know which of the NPC's you need to talk to in order to pick up the quest to get the profession," Mack asked. As soon as she got the quest picked up they could be off to complete the quest which would help Magda level up and get her a profession to make some money.

Magda couldn't help but frown with the comment Mack made about her already being in trouble by being here. She stood up and was just about to say something but she couldn't quite disagree with him. If she were in his boots she'd be highly displeased if he turned up. Which he probably would have without delay. So she simply bit her tongue and said nothing on the matter and simply met his gaze. While she wasn't going to argue she certainly wasn't going to shy away for feel ashamed with her decision to come in after him. Besides arguing with him would just take entirely too long as she doubted he'd give anymore ground than she did. Her frown transitioned into a smirk though when he commented on her idea of becoming a fisherman. It wasn't a good idea though. It was a grand idea. When he inquired about if she knew who to talk to a wide green cut across her face. Normally she felt a little overwhelmed when trying to figure out how to do things here but this is something she managed to find out mostly on her own. "I do actually." She motioned for him to follow as she went to leave the alleyway. So long as he didn't stop her she'd lead him around for a while. She took a few turns and while it may have looked like she was lost she eventually found what appeared to be an aged man with a weathered face. Deep set lines accentuated his smile as he looked between both Mack and Magda.

"Welcome back my dear. Have you decided on if you want to take on the arduous training one must undergo to battle the most vile beasts in all of the waters?" Magda nodded enthusiastically as she tried to envision all of the training she'd undertake for this. She could only imagine what it might entail. Weight training perhaps? Her mind went through a series of twists and turns as she tried to think on what would be best when she was suddenly distracted by a small window that popped up within her sight. "What?" It was the window to accept the quest and all she could do was blink. "That's it," she asked with an incredulous tone as she turned back to face Mack. Sometimes it was like she forgot that this had started out as a game.

Edited by Magda

"That's it," Mack rumbled in a low tone, answering Magda's question. "Check your inventory and make sure you received a fishing rod from the NPC," Mack continued, crossing his arms over his chest. "I know a lake not too far from the town here where you can test out your new skills and I can provide back-up to kill whatever needs killing. This is only the first floor. Mobs don't run towards me, they run from me." Mack waited for a second while Magda went through all the necessary checks to make sure she had everything she needed for the quest she was now on, the quest that would reward her with her in game career. "We can take off whenever you're ready."

Check her inventory? She gave him a puzzled look for just an instant before she accepted the quest. With that out of the way she simply swiped her finger down and opened the menu just like he instructed her how to earlier. While she didn't know much about how to interact with things she did have a tendency to pick up on things quickly. It took a little while of her scrolling through the various menus until she came to the one labeled "Inventory." She tapped that indicator and it opened up for her. She scrolled down and as her gaze fell upon the item called the "Old Fishing Rod." Those crimson brows lowered slightly as the skin between them started to wrinkle. "That cheapskate gave me an old fishing rod?" It didn't seem like the question was actually directed towards anyone and was just really her grumbling about getting a used rod. Eventually she just shrugged it off when Mack mentioned that he knew of a lake on the floor. His comment about how the Mobs don't run at him but rather they run away from him incited the briefest of smiles to grace her face. While she was certain he was being quite serious it was still a little funny to imagine it.

She stepped close to him and tapped the back of her hand against his shoulder and simply said, "Yes well wait till they get a load of me. They'll be running for the hills before this day is done. Well? Lead the way," she said as she gestured with her left hand. She tapped the item name to see if she perhaps get a better explanation for what it is and when the fishing rod appeared before her her eyes and she quickly fumbled for it before it could hit the ground. With a forced smile she quickly closed the menu and rested the rod back against her shoulder and prepared to head out. Her left hand rested upon the war hammer that was looped into her belt at her waist. She was ready for just about anything, though she had a sneaking suspicion her brother wouldn't let her teach those Mobs a thing or two just yet.

"At least the NPC gave you something for your profession," Mack said in response to Magda's complaint about the cheapskate fisherman only giving her an old fishing rod. "The blacksmith that I took the quest from just told me to go gather everything myself and bring it back to him. It was a colossal pain in the ass," the ginger headed man groused, remembering the difficulty he had encountered in slaughtering song birds for pitiful amounts of experience. "Nothing will run from you, yet," Mack continued, smoothly changing topics with Magda as he began to head off through the town in the direction of the northeastern gate. "Speaking of leading the way, where has Michiko gotten herself off to? She causes more problems and then I have to fix them."

She turned and frowned at Mack when he said nothing would run away from her yet. Way to deliver a fatal blow to her pride! She might have said something else but then he revealed how much of a pain in the ass his quest was, but for some reason she felt going out and killing things to gather what you needed would have provided better training than... this. She figured it'd all pay off when she caught her first rare fish and defeated it in mortal combat. The thought brought a smile to her face but that quickly withered as he inquired about where Michiko had gone. "Oh she's around in the city," she commented. While she was pleased that Mack seemed to think Michiko caused more trouble than she did she wasn't pleased to find out that her younger sister had been getting into some trouble. "What sort of problems," she asked with no small amount of concern in her tone. She'd follow him of course, through the gate without any sign of hesitation as she kept he fishing rod gripped in her right hand and resting against her shoulder. It was no  small wonder that Madga didn't get into much trouble considering the hawk-like gaze her brother kept on her.

"You've never gamed with her before, I have," Mack replied darkly, scowling as they passed beneath the arched gateway and out beyond the heavy wooden and metal gates. "It's that around the city bit that troubles me," Mack continued, still scowling. Magda didn't know the half of what it was like playing one of these games with Michiko. Really, there was no telling what their little sister might be getting up to or in to. "I'll worry about her, you worry about you and, until we get to the lake you'd do better to have a weapon at the ready rather than an old fishing rod," the ginger headed man said bluntly, lacing his fingers together and cracking all of his knuckles as he drew Invictus from its place on his back, bringing the weapon to a ready position as they entered the fields around the Town of Beginnings. While Mack had absolutely no fear at all of anything on the first floor of the tower, those monsters couldn't even so much as cause him to chip a nail anymore, he knew they could be quite dangerous to Magda, which meant anything that appeared would die quickly.

The way he went on about their sister did cause her a degree of concern but she trusted him and so when he requested that she simply leave Michiko to him she replied with a nod and simply remained quiet on the matter. When he told her to equip a weapon though she leveled a blank stare his way as she swapped out the old fishing pole for her war hammer. She rested it against her shoulder the same way she had the rod and her pace didn't even slow as she did that. She was at least becoming more proficient in using the menu interface. Still there was a sense of excitement that started to tug at the pit of her stomach at the thought of fighting something outside these walls that had served as her interim prison since her arrival. Save for the few times she'd left this floor though never without the watchful gaze of her brother fixated upon her. "I've always been more accustomed to using my fists," she said idly as she glanced towards the hammer. The hammer was always a sign of strength in her eyes though so it'd serve its purpose. Of that she had little doubt. She was content being the bystander for now. To simply observe her brother as he fought. Watch and learn what she could before the day came when she'd show this world and her brother just what she was capable of.

ID: 52477
BD: 6 (3+2 Ring+1 Concentration) [Concentration: 5/5]
LD: 3 (+4 Mats)

Mack: 132/132 (14/32) [Sword Art: Explode Catapult 3x3x16=144 DMG] (6 Weapon + 5 Skill + 3 Charge + 1 Base + 1 Athletics)

Wolf 1: -1/115 (Mit. 20) [144-28=116 DMG]
Wolf 2: -1/115 (Mit. 20) [144-28=116 DMG]
Wolf 3: -1/115 (Mit. 20) [144-28=116 DMG]
Wolf 4: -1/115 (Mit. 20) [144-28=116 DMG]

"And I prefer a gun," Mack rumbled, waving aside Magda's comment. "But, there are not guns or archery weapons in this game, at least not that have been discovered. You can also use martial arts with the applicable skill being unlocked and you could have started with Wild Dance, but that combat style is a joke. What matters is dealing as much damage as you can as fast as you can, at least at your level. Worked for me," Mack rumbled, leading Magda in the direction of the forest at the edge of the fields. As they entered the forest they were greeted by a chorus of howls.

"Stay back, with me here there will be stronger mobs than normal," Mack said, stepping slightly in front of his twin as the wolves made their appearance. "They're mine," Mack rumbled, drawing Invictus back over one shoulder. Suddenly, he was off, charging across the distance between himself and the small pack of wolves. With the first sweep of the bearded axe two of the wolves were reduced to pixels. Continuing with the move, Mack drew Invictus up before tomahawking the weapon into the third wolf before shifting his grip so his hands were protected by the bearded head of the weapon and punching the final wolf, reducing it to pixels as well.

"Crafting materials," he said, kneeling and adding them to his own inventory. "Useful for me, less so for you as a fisherman."

REWARDS:

+4 Mats

Edited by Mack

Magda had yet to handle a firearm in her life and at this rate she probably never would. The mention of the wild dance being a good choice for those who fought with their hands caused her to miss a step as when she first saw the name she thought it was some sort of dancing skill. Well that will teach her to not read through anything when she creates a character. Though the mention of a martial art skill did peak hear interest. Magda made a mental note to look into that later as that skill would definitely come in handy. She wasn't really sure how to react when he called Wild Dance's combat style a joke. It made her happy she'd gone with her hammer. Though the display he put on the forest would quickly make her think she should have gone with an axe. When he stepped in front of Magda her brow furrowed in frustration. Four wolves were heralded by their howls. Each looked hungry enough to take out a sizeable portion out of her brother's flesh. She hated not being able to do anything. Being so weak was not like her at all but she wasn't about to run off just yet.

While she wanted to step forward and help Mack she figured that she would only get in his way. So she gripped the haft of her hammer expectantly as if she thought he might miss one and she'd get her opportunity to shine. All four of them died rather quickly beneath the bite of his axe. She let out a low whistle as she clapped her free hand against the back of the hand that held her hammer against her shoulder. So he really was strong. "Impressive," she added in with a slight smirk at her brother. The comment about materials drew her interest but when he said they wouldn't do her any good as a fisherman she frowned. "I see. Don't I need bait though?" She asked as her nose wrinkled as she tried to understand everything that she had to learn to handle this profession.

Edited by Magda

Energy: 15/32 (1 Turn out of Combat)

"I don't think you need bait for your fishing rod," Mack said after a moment's thought to consider Magda's question. He was reasonably sure all she had to do was find a good sized body of water that should have had fish in it and then throw out the fishing line. But, then again, he wasn't exactly an expert when it came to the fishing profession. "I guess we'll find out together. I don't really know much about the fishing profession," the hulking blacksmith rumbled. Slowly, he moved deeper into the first floor forest, passing beneath a dense canopy of leafy foliage. In the cool shade of the trees, the floor was considerably more enjoyable than it was when they were out on the plains where the sun could beat down unmercifully upon them. A soft breeze rustled through the trees as Mack led them both deeper into the forest.

"No bait," she muttered as if to echo what Mack had just said. She went quiet as she followed him. The weight of her hammer was a comfort but so far it had only been for looks. The fact that she had to rely on others to fight for her was still a source of grief for the red-haired woman. At first she nearly let it all overpower her and become a huge burden on the others but she had steeled her resolve and was intent on gaining strength. Enough strength to keep her family safe as they worked their way through the floors. Mack's admittance to not knowing much about the profession put her a little at ease. It meant that she wasn't the only one here shooting into the dark on this little venture. "So, do you think I will find one of those, what were they called? Rare fish?" She turned to look at her brother but there was a hint of excitement burning within her eyes.

She had no fear over fighting in this place but that had nothing to do with her having a death wish. Far from it since Magda had absolutely no intention of dying in this place. That will to fight was born directly from the ironclad confidence that saw her through each day in this place. Confidence that she would get stronger. Confidence that one day Mack wouldn't have to worry over her too much and instead would be able to rely on her as a comrade rather than someone he needed to babysit all the time. For now though she was simply content to be on a trek through the woods with her brother.

OOC: Two turns out of combat.

"That would probably be a miracle with your current fishing rod," Mack rumbled, considering Magda's question about catching rare fish. Slowly they continue to plod along through the forest beneath its leafy green canopy. Not too far ahead the sound of water lapping up against the sandy shores of the massive lake that the ginger headed blacksmith was leading his sister towards. Within a few more minutes of walking they had reached the shores of the lake. A single lonely pier jutted out from land into the water, a small covered hut at the end of it offering some protection from the elements. "Well, go ahead and test out your new fishing rod," Mack rumbled, putting his foot on the pier and starting to walk out into the water.

A miracle eh? She smirked at that thought. "Or pure skill," she boasted as she tapped his shoulder with the back of her hand as she walked beside him. After that she drifted off into silence as she thought about everything that had happened since she had found her brother. That heated argument they had originally had gotten their start off on the wrong foot. She could have apologized about it. She knew that, but that didn't mean she actually would. To start with she wasn't sorry about what she'd done. Not at all. Her eyes shifted to look at Mack for a few moments. As much as the big oaf didn't like the way things had turned out it was how they were. They'd just have to make the most of it. Least that was her line of thinking. Once she heard the sound of of water as it flowed back against the shoreline prompted her to put an extra bounce in her step until they'd finally arrived. Even as he prompted her to test out her new item she had already stepped out onto the pier and walked nearly to the edge. She tapped it with her foot experimentally since the thing looked like it might give out at any moment. Then she looked over her shoulder and smirked. "Watch this," she said as she flashed him a smirk. She pulled the rod back as if she meant to cast the line out.

The line flew out across the water albeit the cast wasn't the best in the world. The hook sunk in the water and she looked back to grin at Mack once more. She was clearly having fun with this. Then something tugged on the line. "Got it," she proclaimed as she just knew she'd gotten that rare fish monster. She started to reel it in and pulled back on the old rod. It was difficult at first but soon she yanked back hard only to fall back on her butt and her prize emerged from within the lake's depth. Her expression went blank as she saw it.... the thing she'd caught was clearly no fish. There was a soggy boot hanging on the end of her line.

Spoiler

ID#52691; LD: 3

Edited by Magda

OOC: Full energy, three turns out of combat.

Mack followed Magda out to the end of the pier and then seated himself in the shade. He was only along to babysit, after all. This whole fishing thing was her show. Settling back in the shade and leaning against one of the stanchions that anchored the pier out in the lake, Mack laced his fingers behind his head and closed his eyes. Unless she actually caught one of those monster fish, unlikely, there wasn't going to be much for him to really do. "Oh, I'm watching," the gigantic blacksmith said, yawning loudly as he closed his eyes only to reopen them a moment later when his twin thumped down on her rump having hauled up a clearly discarded boot. "Nicely done, now why not see if you can find the match? Michi will be thrilled with some new boots. Or, at least, new to her boots."

His criticism for her "catch of the day" incited a heated glare from her though she didn't know if he'd seen it since his eyes were closed. Magda muttered something under her breath as she reached out to pull the old boot off of the hook. It felt gross against her hand but she didn't seem to mind it too much. As she held it her bright-eyed gaze transitioned from the boot over towards her lounging brother. For a few moments she considered throwing the water logged boot at him in response to his little snip but in the end she just tossed it aside. It landed on the pier with a soft thud. Slowly she exhaled as she angled the rod back over her shoulder. "Oh I'm going to catch me a fish even if it takes me all day," she huffed. Once more the line was cast out. The hook arced through the sky before it hit the water with an audible plop.

For several minutes the line remained slack and nothing seemed to take the bait. The entire time though Magda demonstrated an unusual amount of patience as she waited. When the first tug came it was subtle. She thought she'd imagined it at first but the second one was much more fierce. Her feet slid forward a few inches as she fought back against the fish. "I've got it this time," she shouted as she heaved back with all her strength. With one last burst of effort a medium sized fish burst out of the lake and flopped around on the end of the line. Her hand reached out to hold the line only to look back at Mack with an awkward expression on her face. "This isn't the rare fish 'monster' is it?" If it was she was going to be highly disappointed.

Spoiler

ID: 52700; LD: 18 [Medium Fish]; CD: 3 [Bad Quality]; MD: 1 [Fish Caught]

Edited by Magda

OOC: Two fishing attempts per day is all you get at level 1, I think. Might want to double check the Profession Guide.

"That's the spirit," Mack called, making a dismissive sort of wave with one of his hands as he heard Magda throw out the line for another fishing attempt. His ears heard the plop of the lure and hook striking the water. For several minutes silence reigned between the twins. Then he heard Magda call out and he heard her feet slid, ever so slightly, on the dock. "Surely not," the ginger man muttered, wrapping his fingers around Invictus and readying himself for combat just in case she had managed to catch the rare land walking fish of legend. Happily, such did not seem be the case. Cracking one eye open, Mack watched with mild interest as Magda reeled in her catch and then held it up to inspect.

"Uh, no, that's not one of the legendary fish," Mack rumbled, eying the scaly creature for a moment. It didn't seem to be much to look at. Still, it might be ok to eat if they took it to someone. Maybe Grave. "Doesn't look too special, but I know a cook that could probably turn it into sushi for us. If we shared the meal with him, that is." Mack shrugged his broad shoulders and didn't make much of an effort to get up or trouble himself. "Up to you, it's your fish."