[PP-F2] Why did we bring the bear again? <<BtuB>> (Grave, Chewie) COMPLETE

Why did we bring the bear again? 

<<Grave - Grand Master Martial Arts>>

It would have been for another time, but the hunter was not going to let this go any longer.  He was waiting on the second floor where a certain quest would take place.  It was a simple one, but the essence of the objective made it a laughing stock within the hunting community.  The quest was easy, but the most time consuming thing in this world.  What was it exactly?  It was the Breaking the Unbreakable quest, that made the quest taker fight a boulder with their bare fists.  This was normally an easy thing to do, but with the changing of time, the quest became much harder as the boulder got moved, and gained a health bar of its own.  The hunter tried to face the boulder before, but wasn't up to the task, and had better things to do.  He still carries the scar of that day, as a small drawing on his forehead, which was covered by his headband.

Today was going to be different.  Now, he had two things going for him.  Grave, a fist fighter that he had helped back when; and, the grizzly bear cub, Chewie.  How did the hunter get a food crazed bear away from its master?  The food on a stick over his shoulder was the only solution, but Chewie was getting smart about it.  They needed to work fast.

+2 DMG Potion Used.

Edited by Hirru

Grave's <<Martial Arts>> Grandmastering Thread

It was highly useful that objects such as trees were unbreakable; they made for amazing targets. Blow after blow rained down on the bark of one particular tree, each punch causing a purple explosion as it collided with the protective force-field around the tree. A body kick off of my right leg followed, before I rechambered and released a powerful side kick, the impact causing a wave of energy to rebound back at me, throwing me off. I stumbled backwards a few steps but quickly regained my balance, skipping in and kicking the tree near the base, before raising up higher, where a player's head would be. I continued smacking the plant around, relenting not, illuminating the immediate area with a violet glow. As much as my energy constantly regenerated as fast as I lost it, I physically became weary and halted my onslaught, turning towards the hills and stretching my arms. "Right... the hermit told me this should be my last one. Let us see if what he said is true." I muttered to myself, heading for the rock I had planned to meet Hirru and a special guest at.

It was not long before I spotted the Travelling Merchant with a piece of food on a stick over his shoulder, hanging above the hungry maw of a particular axe wielder's pet bear cub. I was glad I did not bring Hikari along; she would be freightened of the big softie. "Right... once this is over, two of us will be getting something out of it. You, the <<Martial Arts>> skill... me? Becoming a <<Martial Arts>> Grandmaster." I explained with a confident smile, looking towards the large boulder we aimed to destroy.

Looking towards the Crimson Pugilist, the Jade Hunter grinned before taking him up on their promise some time ago.  After helping Grave get his Martial Arts skill way back when, the hunter had waited for the time that the two could complete it for himself.  Listening to the fist fighter, they seemed to be doing a two-fer.  Apparently, Grave had spent so much time as a fist fighter, that he was now becoming a Grandmaster of the Martial Arts skill.  That was good to hear, as that meant that he could now focus on his next objective.

"Alright, let's get this job on the road."

The two, being flanked by Chewie, walked up the steps to the hermits hut in which he was still sitting.  Upon looking at the two, the man started to laugh.

"Came back, I see!"

He would bellow before looking towards Grave.  An inquisitive look came upon him, before a slight grin followed suit.

"Finally..."

The hermit stood before us, and walked over to Grave.  His face calmer than usual, but still stern.

"You have learned much, but now the time has come.  Teach this one our arts, and become a grandmaster."

Looking towards Grave, the hunter shrugged before heading towards the boulder in the garden.  Standing next to it, the hunter removed his heavy armor, as he wouldn't need it.  He placed the meat on a stick on the boulder itself, so that Chewie had to interact with the boulder to claim his prize.

"Teach me well, Sensei!"

The hunter bowed in a mock fashion before getting on with the bloody quest.  With his first attempt, Chewie got in his way as the cub tried to climb after the food.  Ducking out, he instead punched the ground.

[ID: 53001]
[BD: 1] CARDINAL!!!

Hirru - [21 / 23 en] (-2 en)
Grave - [19 / 19 en]
Chewie - [Hungry / Full]

Boulder - [50 / 50 hp]

Edited by Hirru

"Right, old geezer, this is my time to shine!" I retorted with a wild grin, clacking my bound fists together. The old man returned my bright grin and waved us out the door, me following just behind Hirru and the ravenous bear cub. I cracked my knuckles and neck as I took position near the boulder. A grin split my lips when Chewie decided to tamper with Hirru's plans, getting in his way and forcing him to punch the ground Hulk-style. "Allow me to show you how to punch, my friend." I chuckled, massaging my wrists before taking up position, right fist behind my head. I launched all my weight forwards and knocked out a nicely sized chunk of the rock with a bone-shattering blow. "Right, you are up again." I offered, standing back for the Hunter.

ID: 53015 BD: 6 (4 + 2) (1 NRG)

Party
Grave: 
18/19 NRG
Hirru: 21/23 NRG
Chewie: Hungry/Full

Enemies
Boulder: 
42/50 HP

Edited by Grave

[How did we go from EN to HP?  Are we dying with each punch now?]

Irritated with the unbecoming punch to the ground, which was all thanks to a certain bear cub, the hunter had to gather up his composure.  Watching the master fist fighter take out a good chunk of boulder, he focused on what was needed to be done.  Taking a calming breathe, the hunter assumed a proper position to gather the potential energy needed to punch the rock.  Thrusting my fist forward, I connected with the rough stone surface.  A small crack would appear, but that was about it.

"Slowly..."

Of course, during this entire thing, Chewie was still being Chewie.

[ID: 53021]
[BD: 4+2] OH GOOD... I FINALLY HIT IT!!  for 3 dmg...

Hirru - [21 / 23 en] (+1 en / -1 en)
Grave - [18 / 19 en]
Chewie - [Hungry / Full]

Boulder - [39 / 50 hp] (-3 hp)

Edited by Hirru

I stood back and watched Hirru regain his composure - Chewie still messing around on top of the rock, of course - before he struck the boulder with a somewhat powerful punch that simply cracked the boulder. I barely managed to stifle a snicker, before approaching the large mass of rock, stretching my knuckles. "Right, round two, Rocky." I mused with a sing-song tone. I pulled my fist back, my muscles tensing like an elastic band at full stretch, before I released my tension, sending my fist flying towards the rock, piercing straight into it, drilling a hole through the rock and barely past the center. I casually retrieved my bound fist, pulling a load of rocks out with it. "Hirru, take another shot." I offered, rotating my wrist to relax the muscles.

ID: 53211 BD: 7 (5 + 2) (1 NRG)

Regen +1 NRG

Party
Grave: 
18/19 NRG

Enemies
Boulder:
31/50 HP

Edited by Grave

Feeling that much better about himself, the hunter took a step back to watch Grave and his form.  The action that erupted from his attack nearly blew the hunter back as well.  That was a force that he had not seen in some time, not since the grizzly cub of that time.  Speaking of whom, Chewie had finally taken his prize which meant that the little game of having him do the last hit, was now impossible.  Or was it?  After seeing the amount of force that Grave created, the hunter tried to follow with his example.  His body seemed to react with all of its might, aiming for the crack that he created before.  Making contact, the crack became bigger before crumbling into small hole from the rock.  Not as big as Grave's, but fair enough for him.  That caused the bear cub to lose balance and fall off the boulder, with its food still on top of it.

[ID: 53294]
[BD: 10] Crit +2 // You know.. I could have used this roll for something awesome back at my store...

Grave - [18 / 19 en]
Chewie - [Hungry / Full]

Boulder - [26 / 50 hp] (-5 hp)

Edited by Hirru

I chuckled as the little bear cub managed to get on top of the boulder, trying to steal his prize. "Hirru, hurry up, or it is game over." I warned with a sly smirk in the Jade Hunter's direction. I stood back and let him take the next strike, and I could feel the force from his punch as he lunged forwards and widened the crack that he had already made. "Christ, Hirru..." I muttered, smiling as Chewie fell from his perch. I took position in front of the boulder, hands in my pockets. I coiled my body to my right, right leg back before swinging around, unwrapping like a rubber band, and struck my foot against the solid surface, only to receive no result. "Oh, crap..." I grunted as I hobbled back, foot tingling from the 'pain' of failing the blow.

ID: 53388 BD: 4 (2 + 2) (2 NRG)

Regen +1 NRG

Party
Grave: 
17/19 NRG

Enemies
Boulder: 
26/50 HP

Edited by Grave

Giving a good chuckle against the bear cubs resolve to get the piece of meat, the hunter did not see the ensuing actions from the Ardent Pugilist.  When he did see that the fist fighter was hobbling around while showing some minuet form of pain, he showed a slight concern.  He knew that there should be any kind of pain felt from this world, but have heard people say that their minds were causing a "Phantom Pain" in its place.  Before heading over, he gave a quick elbow into the hole that he created.  A small chunk fell from where he hit.

"You alright there?"

[ID: 53583]
[BD: 7+2] Hit

Grave - [17 / 19 en]
Chewie - [Hungry / Full]

Boulder - [23 / 50 hp] (-3 hp)

Edited by Hirru

"Y-yes... I am fine." I reassured the Jade Hunter, settling my foot back down after my nerves calmed themselves; as much as there was no actual pain in the world, the way out brains are used to pain made us think we felt it. I turned back to the rock and took a low stance, right fist back. Come on... you are going to be a Grandmaster. Grandmasters do not let themselves fail so badly, I told myself, steeling my nerves and pushing all my power into my fists, before letting fly a flurry of blows that, at first, seemed to do little, until I drew back my fist for one final strike and shattered an enormous chunk off of the rock. "There we go..." I growled in a satisfied tone.

ID: 53859 | BD: 11 (9 + 2) | 1 NRG

Regen +1 NRG

Party
Grave: 17/19 NRG
Hirru: 21/23 NRG
Chewie: Hungry/Full

Enemies
Boulder: 13/50 HP

Edited by Grave

Glad that Grave was alright, the hunter watched on as the fist fighter found his composure and placed another good strike against the rock, growling as he did so.  The hunter would follow suit, throwing himself into the boulder with his arms up to guard his body.  With a quick turn of his body, he would follow in a sharp elbow into the rock face that was slowly making itself known.  Afterwards, the hunter backed away from the rock to see what Chewie was up to.  With the new claw hold from the many holes that have been made, the bear cub found its way back up the boulder.

"You wanna end it, Grave?"

[ID: 54232]
[BD: 9+2] Crit +1

Grave - [17 / 19 en]
Chewie - [Hungry / Full]

Boulder - [9 / 50 hp] (-4 hp)

Edited by Hirru

(You know what? Screw it. Last hit's a Grandmaster hit~)

I watched as Hirru launched an elbow at the boulder, taking out a nice chunk and leaving the health at a level where I could easily finish the job. "With pleasure~" I replied with a grin, striding up to the boulder and readying a fist behind my head. I was ready to become a Grandmaster... I had fought this rock four times, and would fight it many times more. The solo Martial Artist of the game, up until I took Kranzer under my wing...

With Warvan's Sons I had slain many monsters with many different companions, including Jevi, Opal and the Crimson Blades. After the collapse of the Blades, though, my gear was upgraded to the Wraps of Grace, which I had slain even more with, providing a much more smooth and graceful style to my <<Martial Arts>> rather than the heavy clunking gauntlets I previously owned. Now... it was time to finish it and become Aincrad's first <<Martial Arts>> Grandmaster.

With a sharp exhalation and a lunge I drove my fist through the air towards the rock. The power at which I was throwing the punch, though, would not be enough, I knew it. I focused all my will power into my body, increasing my punch strength... until I felt some boost increase my power in a split second, smashing the boulder into smithereens and dropping the bear cub. Before the brown mass could hit the rocks I grabbed him out of the air, as well as his food, and pulled them to the side, the rocks slowly settling behind me.

ID: 54457 | BD: 10 (8 + 2)

+1 NRG

Damage Increased: <<Martial Arts>> Grandmastered

Party:

Grave: 17/19 NRG

Hirru: 21/23 NRG

Chewie: Hungry/Full

Enemy:

Boulder: 0/50 HP

LD: 14 = +1 Unbreakable Shard

Edited by Grave

With the last hit, Grave finally destroyed the boulder, which fell apart into many innumerable pieces.  With a quicker reaction time, he was able to catch Chewie before they were hurt by the falling debris.  Sighing from relief of telling Mack why a certain cub wasn't with us anymore, the hunter walked over to the fist fighter.  In his arms was the little bear cub as it tore away at its prize.  Chewie would look at me for only a second before continuing to rip apart the slag of meat.  Shaking his head, the hunter would look up to Grave.

"Great job, Sensei!  Now, I'm sure that you're the first to grand master this skill."

I set the ravenous child down on the grass as he tore into the meat, greedily devouring the juicy meal. "Phew... what a workout!" I groaned, stretching my arms into the air and yawning. When Hirru called me 'Sensei' once more and noted that I was likely the first to Grandmaster <<Martial Arts>>, I flexed my bicep and placed a hand over it. "You bet!" I agreed with a goofy grin. "But also, you now have the skill. Not sure how far you plan on going with it, but I am with you for as far you take <<Martial Arts>>." I assured the Jade Hunter, before going into my Sword Arts and taking a peek at my newly unlocked ones; both grapple types. "<<Twisted Rod>>... that is a nasty one." I mused, imagining how painful it must be. The final one took the cake, though; "<<Snapping Twig>>... that one reminds me of Bane from Batman." I mused with a chuckle.

Chewie: Full/Full

Edited by Grave

Watching the little bear cub tear the last bit of the food given to it, the hunter was reminded of why they were here.  Not for Grave's Grandmastering, though it was a plus, it was for his own learning of the skill.  Opening his menu, the hunter looked through his multitude of skills that he had invested in.  One Handed Straight Sword, Heavy Armor, Search, and now a new entry came up: Martial Arts.  Unfortunately, he couldn't do anything with it until he spent his point on it, but that would be another day.  He needed to focus on other things first.

"When the time comes, I'll pick it up, but for now I'll keep it in the planning."

I nodded in response to Hirru's plan to take up <<Martial Arts>> later. "Understandable." I acknowledged, before walking back towards Urbus, beckoning Hirru to come with. "Come on, Hirru, let us go drink... or if you do not drink, eat to celebrate this momentous occasion!" I said as I sped up my pace, hurrying towards the town, scooping up the large ball of fur that decided to catch up to me. Upon entering the town I was hit by the dark, haunting sensation the town always gave me... it was not pleasant. Nonetheless, the bars available to dine at were surprisingly fine, and I picked one out not far from the exit to the fields. I soon realised that holding onto the giant, muscly cub was a bad idea in a bar, where the scent of cooking wafted from behind the bar. "Hey! Chewie, calm down!" I commanded in a stern voice, and the cub reluctantly halted his writhing with a grumble. "Right... shall we find somewhere to sit, Hirru?"

Coming to the medieval town of Urbus, the heavy feeling seemed to not affect the hunter as much, as he was used to each town on every floor.  Having lived in every town of nearly every known floor, the hunter kind of got used to the ascetics of them.  After some time, he started living in the wilderness to better hone his survival skills, and hunting techniques.  Entering the tavern of Grave's choice, Chewie immediately began trying his antics to get more food, but the grandmaster wouldn't have it.  Giving a slight cuckle, the hunter motioned for them to a table that was far from the food, so that the bear cub wouldn't cause any trouble.  Of course, the moment that Grave relaxes his grip on the bear cub, they both knew that it would start running around to other patrons, pleading for food.

"So, now that you have Grandmastered Martial Arts, what's next for you?  Athletics?  Precision?"

I swiftly followed the Hunter as he gestured for me to follow him to a vacant table, smartly set far away from the aroma billowing from the depths of the kitchen. The bear cub groaned and whimpered in my arms and I sighed. "Yes, Chewie, we will buy you something... if you promise to be good." I commanded, and the large furball looked up at me with hungry eyes and a 'you have a deal' face. I took a seat at the table and set Chewie down. Of course, he peered around at the various gatherings of players and their meals, but knowing his deal he restrained himself. The cub dealt with, I turned my attention to Hirru and his question. "Well... I plan on picking up <<Battle Healing>> next, then <<First Aid>>, and I plan on working my way up with them, maybe Rank Three in each, then I will go for <<Charge>>." I explained with a sigh, the amount of SP required for such a feat quite daunting as I thought about it.

Hearing the plans for any of his future skills, the hunter seemed to be considering things.  It seemed that Grave was going more hands on with his future actions, and that would probably do well for them later on.  The bosses have been getting harder lately, and the entirety of the Blades would be needed soon.  While in thought, a waitress would come up to them.

"Hello!  What can I get for you, today?"

Looking up to her, the hunter noticed the yellow crystal over her head that would indicate a non-player character, or NPC for short.  He was still learning that these were not actual people, but their language patterns still made him confused about the matter.  Looking at a menu prompt that would appear before them, the hunter would choose something that was fine for the occasion.

"I'll have a tankard of your cheapest drink."

Something seemed to trouble Hirru for a moment, perhaps some thought about planning for future fights, but whatever it was was quickly erased when a very cute waitress NPC came up and asked for our orders. Hirru ordered the cheapest drink, and I nodded in agreement. "I shall take the same." I said, before remembering the starving furball at my feet. Reaching down and picking the cub up, I put him on display to the NPC. "Oh, and a steak for this little bastard. Rare please." I ordered, and with a smile, the cute waitress rushed off into the kitchen, leaving us to our devices.

---

As Chewie happily tore his crimson meat apart, I looked at Hirru across the table, the ale swishing in my tankard in my palm. "Shall we raise our drinks in celebration of the end of my quest for Grandmastery?" I asked as I raised my flagon towards the roof above, cheering in both of our honors. The cub at my feet also gave a victory growl to help boost my already inflated ego.

---

Thread Completion Summary

Grave: +1 SP, +100 Col, <<Martial Arts>> Grandmastery (Paying 15 SP Upon Lock)
Hirru: +1 SP, +100 Col, <<Martial Arts>> Skill.
Chewie: +1 Full Belly