[SP - F17] Scouting the Seventeenth Floor

The clouds overhead had grown considerably darker as Takao approached the mountain pass; their sudden change almost seemed unnatural. Jade eyes set about examining his surroundings carefully, taking in each individual obscure object and small crevasse that might have held something seeking to kill him. Nothing jumped out, nothing spawned ahead or behind him, and the storm hadn't started its downpour just yet. All in all, he figured himself to be in pretty good shape. But even with things seeming to be relatively okay at the moment, he couldn't shake the feeling in his gut that something was off. He thought it to be hunger at first, but having just gorged himself prior to the boss raid mere hours ago, that seemed unlikely. Even the amount of physical exertion wasn't enough to justify an odd sensation in his stomach.

His sword was sheathed and he glanced about before slowly moving toward the westernmost mountain. It was much too high for him to scale to the summit, but a large outcropping of rock would serve as good enough cover for him to conceal himself slightly. The elevated position also gave him a better vantage point over the valley, and his eyes fell down to his stomach.

"What's up with you, gut..?" He muttered quietly to himself, letting his gaze linger before lifting it back upward and setting it upon the valley. "You're not usually this... eh... vehement. ...Vocal. Active. Whatever, you get what I'm sayin'."

ID: 60404
LD: 30 (20 + 5(S&D) + 3(HoM) + 2(Vitamins))

Edited by Takao

OOC: A BOSS YOU CAN TALK TO!

A bronze spear flashed through the air and slammed into the ground at Takao's feet just as he was preparing to begin trying to ascend the mountain which could not be climbed. Where mere moments before there had been nothing in the pass now, shimmering into being through the magic of the Sword Art Online game engine there was a small army of of soldiers. Each of the men was clad from head to foot in dull bronze armor, armed with heavy shields, and spears that were easily twice as long as any of them were tall. In front of the phalanx stood a single figure encased in bronze armor and a sword hanging at his side. Slowly, he advanced on Takao while his men stood silent as sentinels behind him.

"You're a brave scout, Persian to be out here so far from your own lines," the armor clad figure barked. Reaching out he wrapped his free right hand around the spear and ripped it from the ground before leveling the weapon at Takao's chest. "Does your king wish to speak with me? Does he wish to surrender? Why have you come to Thermopylae alone? Leonidas, the King of Sparta demands your answer and, unlike the Athenian dogs my patience is not limitless. Speak now and deliver your message." Beneath the bronze helmet covering the dark haired King's head, Leonidas' eyes narrowed dangerously. The scout had come alone, a brave and worthy deed. He had even approached the pass openly instead of skulking about like some Athenian coward. That had earned the respect of the King, but respect would only bring patience for so long.

OOC: i think i should've paid more attention in history class.

The whizzing of the spear caused Takao's ear to twitch into attention, turning just in time to react to the weapon as it slammed into the ground. He hadn't peaked through any door which was where he expected the boss to be, so when the dust had settled, Takao's hand quickly rose to grasp the handle of his sword. Of course the confidence in his arm was nearly instantly diminished when he saw the sheer number of familiar lights that appeared, and dropped down to his side lifelessly. With each line of soldiers that appeared, Takao found his eyes opening wider and wider. Their sheer numbers had frozen him in place, his eyes trying to count the size of each line and how many lines existed in their ranks, but that was topped when the spear was pulled from the soil and leveled with his chest.

Takao's attention first turned to the spear, and then to Leonidas. "I-" Takao began, but quickly bit back his words. The scene before him was instantly recognizable, and after seeing Leonidas, manually counting the forces that stood behind him seemed rather redundant, for he knew exactly how many there were. He swallowed and considered his words carefully; this was a matter of diplomacy, of which Takao boasted no talent with. But still, there was a purpose to this encounter. If this was the boss, then there was a reason it was speaking to him. Of course, the historical answer to his inquiries would be a simple three words; earth and water, yet the historical result of such a demand didn't sit well with Takao. At the very least, he'd try playing the game.

"I 'spose what you're probably expecting me to say is somethin' like "earth and water", but seeing as I'm not a Persian emissary and I have no King, that's irrelevant." Takao said, staring Leonidas in the eyes. He was being truthful thus far, that much was obvious, although whether the system's event would recognize it as a factor to be taken into consideration remained to be seen. Takao inwardly cursed himself for not procuring some of the armour the hoplites he'd fought were wearing, reasoning that it might've been able to give him an advantage in the encounter. "I was scouting out new territory, and wasn't expecting to meet anyone."

Edited by Takao

"If you're not a Persian then who are you and how many do you represent," Leonidas demanded, glowering down at the brown haired swordsman. The Greek King of Sparta was in no mood to be trifled with, but his dark eyes hadn't failed to miss the fact that the scout had removed his hand from his weapon. It seemed clear he was no assassin, and probably no fool. Of course, it remained to be seen on that front. There was a fine line between brave and stupid. "You're not an envoy from any of the other cities, I recognize neither your accent nor your colors. How many soldiers do you bring with you and what do you seek?" The Spartan King continued with his questioning, repeating his demand to know who Takao represented and how many there might eventually be coming with him.

Takao watched Leonidas carefully, meeting the glower with an equable expression of his own. On the outside he did well to elude to any nervousness he was feeling, yet on the inside he was meticulously mulling over his words. There was a purpose to all of this. Their meeting, the discussion and demands about his allegiance and the numbers behind him. There was some tidbit of information he was missing, and their discussion could very well be the clue. All he needed to do was find the right dialogue path to take. "My name is Takao. I represent a collective total of nearly eight thousand, nearly all of them civilians." He said, concise words escaping in an even tone. "I'd bring anywhere from eight to twenty soldiers," He continued, inwardly wincing at the pathetic number in comparison to the forces standing behind Leonidas. "-and we seek passage through the valley."

Edited by Takao

"Eight thousand and only perhaps twenty soldiers," Leonidas asked in a haughty tone before offering a short, barking laugh. "SPARTANS," the King roared out, turning his head slightly to direct his voice over his shoulder. As one the ranks of soldiers behind him beat their spears against their bronze shields and roared their allegiance to city and king. "As you see, I have brought more soldiers. We guard our city and the Gates of the Olympian Steps, which lead to realms in the heavens above. You may be Persian or a Persian ally, so we will not permit you to pass and even if you were Greeks from other cities, we would not permit you passage. Guardianship of the Gates of the Olympian Steps is our holy and sacred duty, received by myself and my men collectively through a vision of Ares and we shall fight to the last man to defend the gateway." Leonidas sneered down at the swordsman before him, who was this man, a mere boy really, to think that he could somehow best the King of Sparta and his elite troops?

"We Spartans value bravery, honor, and skill at arms. You are brave to stand before the King of Sparta, you don't quake and quail like a sniveling Persian or cowardly Athenian, and you must have skill at arms to have come so far alone," the King said after a few moments thought. Holding out his right hand to Takao, the King offered the scout five talismens dangling from simple leather thongs. The talismans were wrought in gold and bore the lightning bolt of Zeus, the trident of Poseidon, the skull of Hades, the sword of Ares, and the sun of Apollo. "If you challenge us for passage through the Gates of the Olympian Steps you may bestow these amulets upon five of your warriors. They are imbued with the immortal power of the gods themselves and will balance the terms of our combat. A fair fight, that is what we shall have. Now, be gone and return with the army of your people that we might learn, once and for all, who is superior."

Without another word the King dropped the amulets to the ground and Takao's feet. Turning on his heel with a swirl of his crimson cape Leonidas returned to stand before his men and await the true challenge of the Band of Heroes spoken of by the brown haired youth.

Takao's jaw clenched and his eyebrows furrowed as Leonidas bellowed out to address his men, the muscles in his arm and shoulder tensing with the burning desire to draw his sword. He knew there was no earthly way to combat all five hundred plus their King on his lonesome, but the beating of their spears on their shields hadn't exactly put his anxious mind at least. If he were to die, he would certainly make sure he went out with a fight. However, the collective skewering that he'd been expecting never came, and instead Leonidas turned back to him.

"Was worth a shot." Takao said with a shrug. He knew plenty of people that would've been angry with him had the boss imply be bypassed and the mouthwatering opportunity for a unique weapon been forfeited, but given the scale of the task before them, he'd imagine whatever ire it inspired would pass with time. Unfortunately, it didn't seem as though the best case scenario would be happening.

He suppressed the urge to smirk at what semblances of praise Leonidas gave, calling him brave to stand before the King. The line between bravery and stupidity was indeed a thin one, and Takao found himself blurring that line more and more. Bravery came from acting despite the presence of fear, and one breed of stupidity was disregarding his own well being without good reason. The latter was becoming more common than the former, and it was a dangerous change of pace. Even so, this particular bout of foolishness seemed to have paid off. A gift had been dropped at his feet, golden amulets of varying description. He knelt down and grasped the bundle, briefly examining the set before glancing back up to Leonidas.

"A fair fight." He parroted quietly, his grip tightening around the leather straps of the talismans. "Right. I'll be back then." Takao said, storing the amulets in his inventory before turning and heading back the way he came.

- -

Thread Complete
1 SP
52 Materials
53720 Col
5 Talismans of the Gods - (Mack Edit)

Edited by Mack