Defender / Interceptor

So, with all the commotions happening recently about PK and stuff, and seeing how Oikawa's thead was heading, that got me thinking. "Now, what if there's a way for the player to jump in and take the attack, in the case of one player attacking another." Theoretically, that was 100% possible, since many people has done it in the past in real life, and there are self-defend classes nowadays with the purpose of teaching you how to defend yourself from attackers with knives, and other kinds of weapons. Now, sword might not be one of them, since it's highly unlikely that people would attack each other with a sword in the modern days, but iron pipe, baseball bats or even crowbars was know to be use in close quarter combats, and those self-defense classes do teach you how to handle with those kinds of weapon.

The Idea is simple. If an someone is being attacked, either by a Monster or another Player, another player could jumped in between and mitigated the damage from the attacker to the target completely, instead diverting the damage to them instead. Players who try to block the attack for another player will have to roll a CD dice to see whether they succeed or not. This dice can be modified with Martial Art Ranks. Each 2 ranks will granted an extra modifier to this, meaning with Grand Master Martial Art, you can have up to 3 CD modifiers for blocking other's attacks. There are two situation where the dice rolling rules will differ from one another:

• Attacked by Monsters
    If someone is being attack by monster, you can jumped in between and intervene, blocking the monster from attacking the player, but took the damage of the attack that weren't meant for you. In this case you will will need to roll a CD dice to see if you're success in blocking the attack or not. This will also apply to bosses (except when the rule state otherwise, i.e:  Butcher of the Sand.)
Spoiler
  • CD: 1 - Critical Fail: You're unable to block the attack successfully and the Dice cannot be modified by any kind
  • CD: 2-6 - Failed: You're unable to block the attack successfully. The dice can be modified through MA, but not Combat Craft
  • CD: 7-12 - Success: You're able to block the attack successfully. You will take the damage dealt instead of the player who was targeted.
  • Attack by Player / Player spawned NPCs 
    If someone is being attack by either another player, or a Player spawn NPCs, you can jumped in between and intervene, blocking the player or NPC from attack their target, but instead, the damage will be diverted to you completely. As for the current system where everyone can one-shot most of the players, the system will work differently than the monster blocking rule.
Spoiler

Unlike Monsters, where you can figure out a pattern on how they would act, Human is a very unpredictable creature. In order to protect someone, you must be on a constant alert to be able to find the attacker and intervene in time. To do so, you must have a quick mind, as well as quick reflex in order to get to the target in time so you can protect them. For every post, you must perform a CD check to see if you can find the attacker and react in time. If the enemy attack after you have already done a successful CD check, their attack will be blocked. 

• CD: 1 - Critical Fail: You're unable to block the attack successfully.The CD dice cannot be modified by any kind
  • CD: 2-5 - Failed: You're unable to block the attack successfully. The CD dice can be modified through MA, but not Combat Craft
  • CD: 6-10 - Success: You're able to block the attack successfully. You will take the damage dealt instead of the player who was targeted.
  • CD: 11-12 - Critical Success: You're able to block the attack successfully. You prevented the attacking sequence, and hence prevented damage completely. The CD dice can only be affected naturally, therefore modifiers will not work.

All subject in this post are matters to be change and modified, so if you have any comments, critiques, or ideas on how to improve the system, don't mind sharing. I'd love to hear your ideas on this subject matter.

Edited by Husky
Updated the rules for Blocking Player or Player control NPC's Attack

Hmmm

I'm actually quite intrigued with how this is prepard. The only issue that I see is this.

Post Order

In OP's like Oinks thread, it's quite difficult to say 'I blocked you' if there are 4-5 people posting before you.

Another thing is this, player combat. Normally it would go

Player 1 attcks-rolls dice-deals dmg-next

The damage is normally received instantly, on the same post as the attack. Which would make this skill very math rewind. (going back, and making edits to stats)

So hypothetical situation

Player 1 attacks Player 2. Player 1 deals 5 damage, and ends his post.

Player 2 reacts to taking damge. And proceeds to drink a potion to heal back the damge.

Player 3, uses this skill to prevent an action that happened 2 posts ago.

If succesful, player 3: negated damage 2 posts ago. Negated the use of a consumable, And broke time itself in the process.

If I may suggust, there is a Pathfinder/D&D term called a 'Prepard Action'. Basically, a player can sacrifice their turn to 'ready themselves'. Continuing from our example from earlier.

Player 1 deal damage to player 2.
Payer 2 takes damage, and drinks a potion.

-here's where it's different-

Player 3 uses his post action, to 'ready himself to use this skill' Should and ONLY should player 2 be attacked. (he rolls the CD now to succeed or not)

Player 1 attacks player 2, but player 3's skill activates. Based on his CD score on his previous post.

Depending on Player 3's CD score, Player 1 reacts. Did he hit player 2? Or did player 3 succuesfully interject himself?

My 2 cents, after some quick thought.

Awesome suggestion; especially if we wanna do more Player vs Player scenarios. So from what Lowenthal suggested; we create a Skill out of it that can be bought or make it into another Mod? 

Suggested:

Skill Name: Prepared Action [10 SP] No Ranks
Effect: Sacrifice a turn to enable Protect [Insert Player Name] With rules indicated below...ect ect. 
Rules of Use for PvP: Husky's Post
Rules of Use for PvE: Hated Generated by [Insert Player Name] is instead redirected to Prepared Player for one turn. 

--

For use against Mobs; it might need something else since we use the Hate mechanic. Normally, partys will have tanks in them or someone who can tank the damage. While it might be a cool idea to use against mobs, I dont know how it would work with the hate mechanic in place. Unless Vs Mobs, it removes Hate from the Player and add its on to the other player instead.

Lowe hit the nail on the head with his prepared action. Another way to do it is to have a designated target.

Player 1: *howls* I designate player 2 as my ward
Player 2: I attack the boss!
Player 3: I attack player 2! *rolls* Darn! Player 1's bodyguard ability gave player 2 bonus EVA, so I didn't him! (Or bonus MIT, whatever)
Boss: hahaha, stupid players! *attacks player 1*
Player 1: *howls to maintain boss hate* I designate player 2 as my ward
Player 2: I attack player 3!

etc...

@Opal In the past bosses have (And some current field bosses) Ignore the Hate mechanic. Which would make the skill a bit more usable in PvE, but otherwise not so worthwhile.It is more of a team PvP skill.

@Seul In a perfect world, this skill would negate ALL damage done to another player. Which would mean, with an AoE the person defending would take the AoE hit, twice. (owie) And what sort of name would you suggest? Kinda rude to say the name is bad, then not leave a suggestion. (suggested the name and is a slight bit tilted =P )

@Baldur Thank you for agreeing with me. ^-^ The way I suggested was meant for target player, but I could've worded it a tad bit differently.

@Husky I would suggest a singular CD roll for both Mobs and Players. So that the player with the skill, doesn't have to copy-paste the rules for the skill every single thread, easy memorization, and less confusion.

@Opal although I like your idea, not many  MMORPG I've seen allowed you to take full aggro of another monster unless the player the monster targeted leave the range where they can target, or not hitting that player for a specific amount of time. But I have seen spell that divert the damage that the player taken and either completely mitigate it, or back to the person who cast the protection spell, so I leave the hate system aside. 

@Seul I wanted to make this skill be rewarding to those who is entasked with protecting other players either by choice or was given that task to, and for the attacker to be able to use an AoE Sword Art to bypass the skill like so would have rendered the purpose meaningless. Therefore, it would be best if the AoE is still blocked by the player who use the skill. I believe that if you're standing close enough to the attacker, even with a wider angle attack would still only damage you. However, If that make this skill more OP that it's originally intended, then maybe we could make it so that those who were targeted with an AoE will take 1/2 of the original damage.

As for a better name, I still haven't thing of one yet, so that will still be put up for debate. 

Forgot about @Lowenthal: both PvP and PvE used the same CD dice was the original intention, but in PvE case, you're not dealing with the problem of getting one shot right on the gecko, unless you're overly under leveled, in such case, you should not be tanking such damages, so the critical success seemed meaningless, therefore I have it removed. 

15 hours ago, Husky said:

@Opal although I like your idea, not many  MMORPG I've seen allowed you to take full aggro of another monster unless the player the monster targeted leave the range where they can target, or not hitting that player for a specific amount of time. But I have seen spell that divert the damage that the player taken and either completely mitigate it, or back to the person who cast the protection spell, so I leave the hate system aside. 

This is actually farely common, they just have long cooldowns. The way taunt works in WoW, is that it increases your Threat/Hate to the level of the person who is #1 on the hate table.

The problem then comes in threat/hate gain. Typically a taunt will force it to attack the taunter for a couple seconds, then it reverts to normal hate. So you just have to make sure that the person who is trying to steal hate is generating it faster than the person who is trying to lose it.