[PP-F7] <<Case of Wurms>> - Isn't that a Lovely Sight (Baldur)

Cygnus sat on the stone steps leading up to the inn in the fortress city of Nimbus. He had taken a quest called <<Case of Wurms>> just a little while ago. He knew he couldn't handle this quest by himself, so he began scrolling through his friend list to find someone who could potentially help him out. He eventually came across Baldur's name. He remembered the player from way back when he started. He seemed like a perfectly nice fellow and Cygnus considered him a friend. Making his decision, the anxious warrior opened up his messenger and sent Baldur a message.

"Hello Baldur! Remember me? I had a thought to tackle the <<Case of Wurms>> quest, but I can't do it alone. I was wondering if you would like to give me a hand. I think we could find some good combat and have a lot of fun."

He sent the message and stretched, dismissing his menu. Now came the hardest part; waiting.

Baldur was resting at the safe zone town just outside the labyrinth like mountain passes that would eventually lead to the 17th floor boss fight. He had been farming the area for material and experience. Still, he found he needed to take regular breaks or his form would become sloppy. While fatigue wasn't the same in SAO as outside of it, the mind could only go on for so long before it needed rest as well. He had often heard that rest was as much a weapon as anything you would wield, and it was twice as important - so Baldur honed his mind more than his blade, and rested before it became apparent that it was needed.

He had just finished relaxing when a chime caught his attention. With a gesture, he pulled up the message.

>>Cygnus:  Hello Baldur! Remember me? I had a thought to tackle the <<Case of Wurms>> quest, but I can't do it alone. I was wondering if you would like to give me a hand. I think we could find some good combat and have a lot of fun.

Baldur smiled at the message. He was glad that the time he had invested in Cygnus as a few of the others was paying off. With Lessa inactive, and Azide having passed, Baldur felt the torch passed to him to begin to mentor some of those who still trickled out to join the frontline. Cygnus was a particularly promising friend and ally. With another wave of his hand, he called up the keyboard to respond that he would be there shortly. Gathering his things, Baldur set out to join his kouhei.

A short time later, Baldur emerged into the teleport plaza of Nimbus. Calling up his keyboard, Baldur returned a message, mumbling the words outloud as he typed them.

"Cygnus>> I have arrived in the plaza. Where should we meet up?"

As the message was sent, Baldur rested his left hand on his katana as he looked around. The city was a bizzaire array of players and NPCs, yet Baldur felt he stood out in his blue haori, and orange samurai styled heavy armor. He was fashioning some light armor as well, but for now, the sheer mitigation that this gear provided was better than any other option. Once he raised his armor skill up that would change, but for now, he preferred the safety.

Edited by Baldur

The tone the warrior had been waiting for finally sounded. He pulled up his messenger, seeing that Baldur had made it to his location and was asking where they should meet. Luckily, the inn was conveniently located near the teleport plaza. Cygnus shot a quick message back.

"I'm actually close. I'll meet you there."

The brunette dismissed his menu and began making his way to the teleport plaza. When Cygnus got there, he began scanning the crowd of people for Baldur. It was difficult because of how many people there were, but Cygnus eventually found who he was looking for. He approached Baldur and bowed respectfully. "Good afternoon, Baldur. Glad you could make it." He smiled, realizing how much more comfortable he felt around one of his own countrymen. Cygnus was Japanese by birth, but he was raised in various places around the world. He considered himself Japanese, however, and so was happy when he came across someone from the same place. "So, are you prepared and everything? Ready to get this started?"

Baldur bowed his head to Cygnus when the man offered him a bow of respect. It put a smile on his face, even if Baldur would not have been offended had his friend not done so; it always warmed him to know that there were some people out there showing civility. At times, it was easy to forget that here in Aincrad they were actually prisoners, and that this was not the real world. It had been almost three years they had been trapped on this floating castle.

"Ohayo, Cygnus. I am glad you reached out to me, since I need this quest as well."

Baldur felt a strong kinship with Cygnus, more so than just a friendship. He felt that Cygnus was someone he should keep his eye on and help bring to the frontlines, though he obviously had a good head on his shoulders as well.

"Yes, let me see here." Baldur arranged his inventory in preparation for their battle. He probably wouldn't need it, but he had used his last stinger on the banshee quest.

"You do have a teleport crystal, don't you? I don't suspect we'll need one, but I like to have a few extras just in case."

In a bit of a left over habit from the real world, Baldur checked his katana in its saya before nodding that he was ready. He gestured for Cygnus, and then began to walk in the direction of the serpent somewhere outside of the town of Rig.

"Judging from what I've heard from the info-brokers, this quest shouldn't be much to worry about, but I like to know the details just in case things get dicey. Have you ranked up any skills besides your sword form?"

Cygnus responded to Baldur thanking him for inviting him to come along. "Oh, it's no problem, really. Thanks for coming. Like I said, I couldn't handle it on my own." He hadn't known Baldur for long, but the higher-level player had been very kind to him since he started. The lower-level player had a lot of respect for the guy too and his willingness to help out those smaller than himself. He could see them being fast friends-- perhaps something deeper. He never really had a brother in arms before, and now that he did, he wanted to know everything Baldur had to teach him. He chuckled nervously when his partner asked if he had any teleport crystals. "Sorry, I don't. They've been out of my price range for awhile. I think I have enough to buy one, though." He opened his menu and checked how much Col he had. "I have a bit over 2000 Col." He frowned at his lack of funds. How could he ever afford his own house? He waved away his money concerns and checked to make sure everything in his inventory was in order.

Once he was finished, he followed Baldur outside the city. When he asked Cygnus about his skills, the brunette scratched his head. "Unfortunately, I have not. I was planning to max out my weapon skill first. But if you have any suggestions..." Baldur was clearly more experienced than him, so he likely knew what he was talking about. Therefore, Cygnus was very interested in hearing his input. He thought on the battle ahead, however. Was it really not that difficult? With Baldur here, it likely wouldn't take a long time or be all that dangerous, but he came prepared with a couple of Greater Damage Mitigation Potions and a couple of Greater Health Potions just in case.

Baldur nodded when Cygnus mentioned that he hadn't earned enough money for a teleport crystal yet. It was a common issue, and that was how Baldur had known to ask. Reaching into his pouch, Baldur pulled out one of the crystals.

"Here you go. I sell them in my shop, but I usually keep a few extra on hand in case the situation warrants it. It's important to have one, even though with  a little bit of forethought, you should never find yourself in a situation in which you need one."

It was part of the reason why Baldur would never charge a mark-up on his healing potions. They weren't very strong, but they were essential to the life of players at a low level, so he sold them as cheaply as he possibly could. That simple fact had allowed a young Calrex to buy an extra potion, which had turned out to be the deciding factor in a life or death struggle. Had Baldur charged more, Calrex would not have survived, and the world of Aincrad would be a very different place. It just went to show, to Baldur, that it was sometimes the small things which had the biggest effect.

"It sounds to me like you will be going down the same path that I did." He pauses for a moment as he gathered his thoughts and they walked through the 7th floor. He could still remember when this was one of the "upper floors" and he and Oikawa and Ariel and others had been even lower level than Cygnus was now, exploring the cutting edge of where they could survive.

"Grandmastering a weapon is useful, but it is a large investment of skill points. In some cases, it might be more effective to get an item which enhances your skill level, rather than spending the SP yourself." He paused and tapped his chin. You couldn't get items which boosted weapon skill or armor, but he planned to not master his own Search & Detect skill since it still felt like a waste of points - however the benefits to gearing up and experience gain could not be understated.

"I don't know why so many players forsake accuracy. The damage you deal when you miss is 0. You can also make up a considerable lack in skill with equipment. I have only just recently decided which way to spec my armor, though consumables are an expensive way to do it, it is definitely worthwhile in the long-run. I've found that it allows me to farm much more effectively, and take on encounters which were beyond me normally."

He frowned, then smiled apologetically, "I wish I had a space <<Safeguard>> potion to give you, but I'm afraid I am not yet that wealthy. The merchant is a poor man's profession. Still, they are lifesavers. Between stuns and safeguards, you should never find yourself at a disadvantage in a fight, and if you have, that's what the teleport crystal is fore."

Cygnus thanked Baldur and bowed slightly when the man gave him a teleport crystal. This would for sure be useful to him. It might even save his life.looked over at Baldur as he mentioned a lot of players forewent accuracy buffs. Cygnus chuckled when he said that when you miss, the damage you deal is always zero. "Indeed!" He agreed. "I have an item at a shop that I ordered. It's supposed to give me a major buff to my Accuracy. It's not done yet, though." He frowned as they continued on their journey. When Baldur mentioned his shop, Cygnus looked over at him. He remembered that Baldur had a shop on the first floor. In fact, they had met each other for the first time near that shop. He had heard through the grapevine that Baldur didn't charge a mark up on healing potions. That alone spoke volumes about his character. He had to go pick up some potions from there sometime. He smiled at Baldur and spoke. "It is very kind of you to not put a mark up on healing potions. They are in high demand, especially among lower-level players. You could make some decent Col." 

Baldur smiled ruefully at Cygnus's comment about healing potions. That had been Baldur's thought as well, and for the first week or so, it had gone according to plan. Thereafter, however, his progression under the merchant profession had stopped.

"When I first opened up shop as a merchant, it was an essential time. We had no alchemists able to provide items for an upcoming boss raid. I think it was either the 10th or the 11th floor." Baldur looked up into the sky as if he were searching it for answer.

"As I recall, someone had died. A beloved player at the time... Alkor... that was his name." Baldur returned his view to the horizon and scanned the area around them.

"There was a huge demand for healing items, and no one to provide them. I saw that the merchant profession was the best way to fill that need. However, now that there are several, or at the very least, Rain-kun to fill in when Zandra decides to lock herself in her house with her hubby and not make items... well, it means that my shop is empty except for when someone needs a dimensional backpack."

Baldur let out a soft sigh. He had not become a merchant to make a huge profit, but rather to be useful. So far, he had accomplished neither.

"Unfortunately, unlike other professions, I can't even give out my own stock... but since for high level players, Col is almost useless, once I build it up, I should be able to help players who need their first potion, or their first teleportation crystal."

Cygnus looked down sadly when Baldur mentioned a player named Alkor that had died some time ago and that for awhile, he was the only one to provide the essential items people needed. He looked around when Baldur did, making doubly sure nothing snuck up on them. Cygnus grinned when he mentioned hopefully one day being able to provide someone with their first healing potion or teleport crystal. "Well, you gave me my first teleport crystal. So i'd say you're not far away from achieving that goal." He hoped his words helped comfort the older warrior. He didn't like feeling hopeless and there have been many times that he could have used someone to give him an encouraging word or two. As they walked along, Cygnus found himself scanning the surrounding area for their quest target. "So, you've never taken this quest before, huh?" The brunette said, remembering what Baldur told him earlier. "I don't suppose you've ever seen this thing before then?"

Baldur smiled when Cygnus mentioned that while he may not have achieved his goal in the way he had wanted, he had taken steps that helped others. It was often something that could escape Baldur. If things didn't land just the way he wanted them, Baldur could get frustrated and feel like he was failing. It was a characteristic that had been exacerbated by their tenure in this floating castle. Baldur had once been close to the cutting edge of the frontline, but not here he was again, struggling to catch up.

"No, this has been on a list of quests that I've been meaning to take for a while. They were a bit out of my league before I got my tier 2 equipment. Now I've become a bit more comfortable with my new set-up, so I'm confident we can handle this quest without any issue."

Baldur suddenly stopped walking.

"This should be the place."

Looking around, Baldur tried to find some sign of the quest, but he couldn't see anything.

"That's weird. The Rat is usually spot on about these things."

At that moment, the ground around them seemed to rumble. Above them on the hill, suddenly an explosion of sand sprayed forth as a two-headed serpent shot forth at them.

Baldur's reaction was immediate. Hand on his blade, the gaijin samurai exploded into motion as his <<Charge>> skill activated, leaving only the blue and orange blur of his form. Wincing as sand got into his eye, lowering his accuracy, but it would not be enough to cause him to miss. His katana, Susano'o, blazed with blue light as Baldur drew it from its saya in a single clean motion and cut through the two headed serpent, severing one of the heads immediately from his <<Iai>> attack. But as the disembodied head flew past him, it seemed to have just a bit of life left and grazed Baldur's cheek with it's fang, inflicting minimal damage to him.

"I should have it's attention!" Baldur called out to Cynus, "Let's kill it before it wakes up!"

[ID#64846 BD: 6+2 (hit) MD: 6 (hit)]
<<Iai>> 12 (base) +2 (charge) = 14 x 10 = 140 - 45 = 95 DMG & Stunned next turn
Serpens: 56 - 54 (Mit) = 2 DMG

<<Amphis Serpens>>  HP: 80/175 | MIT 45 | DMG 56
(H2)<<Baldur>>   HP: 122/124 | NRG: 21/31
(H0)<<Cygnus>> HP:  ??/??    | NRG: ??/??

Edited by Baldur
Corrected math and clarified turn order

Cygnus stopped walking when Baldur mentioned that they had arrived at their destination. With a nod, Cygnus unsheathed Gavel, waiting for their target to appear. He almost lowered his guard when it appeared the thing wasn't going to show up. Good thing he didn't for it was almost at that tiem when their target burst forh from a dune ahead and shot straight at them, Cygnus readied his blade, but Baldur was way ahead of him. The warrior watched in awe as Baldur cut one of the beast's two heads clean off. As the creature hit the ground, sand sprayed in Cygnus's face, but at the elder warrior's call, Cygnus attempted to repeat what Baldur had done. He leaped towards the snake's massive body, partially blinded from the sand. It wasn't enough to compromise his accuracy, however. With a roar, the warrior came down on the snake's head with his blade. He chained that strike with five others, but frowned when he noticed he was only doing the minimal amount of damage. He wasn't anywhere near as powerful as Baldur. That comforted him, but also made him want to grow even stronger.

Spoiler

B A T T L E

ID# 64876

Cygnus uses Sword Art: Fight Blade (Non-AoE)! BD 7 + 3 - 1 = 9 (Hit!)

Cygnus HP: 32/32

Cygnus Energy: 6/12

Cygnus Hate: 1

Amphis Serpens HP: 79/175 

Turn Log

Cygnus -6 Energy

Amphis Serpens -1 HP (42 Damage - 45 Mitigation = 1 Minimum Damage)

Edited by Cygnus

Baldur smiled at his friend as he attacked the now one-headed serpent. He seemed frustrated with the amount of damage he did, but Baldur remembered when he felt much the same way. In the fight with Rohk, where his friend Azide had died, Baldur had felt useless. The monster had attacked the entire raid at such speeds that no one could keep up with, and his attacks were barely over the monster's mitigation, and when they were, he was almost out of energy. Being low level was dangerous in more ways than one, but what really mattered was Cygnus' spirit. He rose to the challenge and was able to level his sword at the beast, even though he may be numerically out classed. Allies were important, but where as you could train to be stronger in SAO, you could not put stat points into spirit. The heart of a warrior was either something you had or didn't, and only fire could change the two.

"Well done!"

Baldur encouraged him, it was a good strike regardless of the damage. A lesser man might have missed, or flinched, or cowered, but Cygnus stood firm and struck when the time was right - and so would Baldur.

"Oh, I almost forgot. When we go out and do these, you should always have and use one of these, just in case." Baldur reached into his pack and pulled out a <<Safeguard>> potion and handed it over to his companion. The serpent was stunned from his earlier attack, so they had a moment.

"Consumables are your friend, especially on classes above your weight-class. I can almost double my damage output with them. This quest also gives a venom that can come in very handy, so a lot of these quests you'll begin to out-level can be great to farm for their consumables."

Baldur had meant to give the man a safeguard potion at the same time as the teleport crystal. He cursed himself for forgetting something so essential at a time like this. It could be the difference between life and death.

[ID# 64944 BD: 1 (miss)]

<<Amphis Serpens>>  HP: 79/175 | MIT 45 | DMG 56 (Stunned)
(H2)<<Baldur>>   HP: 124/124 | NRG: 19/31 (+1)
(H1)<<Cygnus>> HP:  32/32    | NRG: 6/12 

Edited by Baldur

Cygnus prepared to strike at the thing again, spurred on by Baldur's encouragement. However, the warrior looked as Baldur offered him a Safeguard potion, which he took gratefully and with a hearty thank you. took a look at the blue liquid, never having seen a potion of this type before. He got over his amazement quickly though and stored the vial away for when he would need it. Baldur gave the creature a devestating blow. Now it was his turn. The warrior ran forward, opting to strike with a regular attack this time. He wanted to save his stunning Sword Arts for when the monster got back up-- if it managed to. Baldur had already severed one of its heads and it was out cold for now. Perhaps he wouldn't even need to.

Spoiler

B A T T L E

ID# 64961

Cygnus attacks! BD 5 + 3 - 1 = 7 (Hit!)

Cygnus HP: 32/32

Cygnus Energy: 6/12

Cygnus Hate: 2

Amphis Serpens HP: 78/175 

Turn Log

Cygnus +1 Energy

Cygnus -1 Energy

Amphis Serpens -1 HP (7 Damage - 45 Mitigation = 1 Minimum Damage)

Edited by Cygnus

"One important lesson to learn, is knowing when to stop."

The serpent hissed and then struck at Baldur with lightning speed, and Baldur just barely evaded the monsters' attack, diverting it with a blow of his own, however the attack was not strong enough to penetrate the hide of the now one-headed snake monster. It's evil looking vertical slit of an eye glared at Baldur with menace.

"Often times DPS will just go and go and go, without regard to the situation around them."

Baldur and the snake exchanged another set of blows, without either getting the upper hand.

"It's important to be conscious of your hate. So that the creature doesn't suddenly turn its attention to you."

The snake eyed Cygnus, but Baldur put himself between the two, losing his footing slightly in the process and taking one of the snake's fangs in his arm.

[ID#64969 BD: 2+3-1 (miss) MD: 5 (+1 from negative environmental evasion) (hit)]

<<Amphis Serpens>>  HP: 78/175 | MIT 45 | DMG 56 - Deals 2 DMG to Baldur
(H2)<<Baldur>>   HP: 120/124 | NRG: 18/31 (-2/+1)
(H2)<<Cygnus>> HP:  32/32    | NRG: 6/12 

Edited by Baldur

Cygnus winced when Baldur was struck by the serpent, but listened to the older player and then got out of the way. Perhaps it would be best if he hung back to let Baldur draw a little more aggro. He stood behind his party member with his blade at the ready, ready to defend himself if this thing attacked. He remembered the potion Baldur gave him as well as the teleport crystal. If his calculations were correct, he could withstand one attack from this thing for sure. If that happened and he took a strike from the boss, he would use the potion Baldur gave him. He couldn't see this thing going awry, but it was always better to be prepared. That was why he had Damage Mitigation and Healing potions with him as well. He hung back behind Baldur, ready to jump in with a healing potion if aught went amiss. It seems he took Baldur's advice to heart.

While Baldur didn't seem to take much damage from the flying snake, the would to his arm seemed to slow him just by a heartbeat, and it was not holding still any longer. The flying serpent took to the air, knocking sand all around and flying around them while the red wire mesh where Baldur had severed the second head remained.

"Be careful, I hear this thing can spit poison."

Holding his blade mostly in one hand, though gingerly with the other, Baldur kept the blade between himself and the Amphis Serpens. Suddenly, and almost without any warning, the serpent broke off from it's shark like circling and struck at Baldur. Whirling his blade around, Baldur tried to strike back at the serpent, to finish it off like he did the first head, but steel katana met fang and it was diverted to the side while the force of the strike cause Baldur to recoil back.

"Bah... this monster is getting on my nerves!"

[ID#65019 BD: 1 (miss) MD: 4+1 (miss)

<<Amphis Serpens>>  HP: 78/175 | MIT 45 | DMG 56 - Deals 2 DMG to Baldur
(H2)<<Baldur>>   HP: 120/124 | NRG: 17/31 (-2/+1)
(H2)<<Cygnus>> HP:  32/32    | NRG: 7/12 

Edited by Baldur

Cygnus nodded in response to Baldur's warning. "Got it! I'll keep an eye out." The news that this thing could spit poison unnerved the warrior more than a little bit. But it was to be expected. This thing was a giant snake after all. It would be strange if it didn't have an ability like that. Cygnus figured he would continue to keep his distance and let Baldur do what he does best. Cygnus was a little worried, however. None of Baldur's blows were landing. This did not bode well for them. The brunette had every confidence in Baldur's abilities, but it seemed fate was not being kind to the elder player. Cygnus steeled himself. He wanted to avoid jumping in if at all possible. One more successful strike and the behemoth of a serpent would be looking to him! He would jump in if Baldur appeared to be in danger, however. It didn't seem like that was going to happen, though. Once he looked at Baldur's HP and saw that the serpent had not even put a dent in it, the warrior's worries were all but put to rest. He started to cheer Baldur on. "Come on, you can do it! Finish him off!" Cygnus called out, hopefully encouraging his party member.

Spoiler

Cygnus: +1 Energy

Cygnus Energy: 8/12

Baldur had had enough. He was risking his friend's life if this continued. These monsters tended to have mean special abilities and he couldn't risk letting it activate its special attack and put Cygnus at risk, so he did something stupid.

He closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. The only simple moment allowed Baldur to regain his focus and banish his pride and his frustrations. He was concentrating on two many things, and so he sought the void. He pushed away thoughts of life and death. He pushed away thoughts about PKers, about boss fights, about this shop, and he focused instead on the blade in his hand and the flying serpent around them, and the terrain under his feet. They were all one.

Almost as soon as he closed his eyes, he heard the snake hiss and knew it was seizing the opportunity to strike at him. Baldur knew what to do, but more importantly, he felt what to do. He had done this enough that it wasn't a conscious thought, it was simply a reaction, his body moving almost on its own.

Flowing into the pre-motion for <<San Ge>>, Baldur black and red katana suddenly exploded with azure light as his blade whirled at inhuman speeds, leaving an after image of light that seemed to hang in the air for a moment as he suddenly brought his katana down from high overhead and drove it into the head of the <<Amphis Serpens>>, nailing it to the ground at their feet.

Letting out a long, heavy breath that he had been holding, the serpent shattered into a myriad of polygons, covering the air around them in rainbow shards. With an air of meditation, and an obviously practiced hand, Baldur went through an almost ritual like sheathing of his katana, bringing the blade vertical next to his head and then whipping it to the side. With a slow, steady motion he sheathed the blade and with almost a hint of regret, he let go of the handle. At that moment, Baldur's steel blue eyes seemed to register the rest of the world around them.

Turning, he cast an almost embarrassed smile at Cygnus.

"Man, I hate snakes, especially flying ones."

[ID#65037 BD: 5+3-1 (hit) LD: 15+3=18 MD: 4+1 (miss)]
12x12 = 144 - 45 = 99 DMG 

<<Amphis Serpens>>  HP: 78/175 | MIT 45 | DMG 56 - Drops 2 Mats & 875 Col
(H3)<<Baldur>>   HP: 120/124 | NRG: 17/31 (-2/+1)
(H2)<<Cygnus>> HP:  32/32    | NRG: 8/12 

Edited by Baldur

Cygnus flinched as the snake went for another strike, but Baldur reacted before the serpent ciuld sink its fangs into him again. With a single swift motion, he nailed it to the sandy ground with his katana. The warrior gave Baldur a thumbs up as the serpent exploded in a shower of polygons. Cygnus shouldered his blade victoriously. "Admirably done!" He called out jovially, pumping a fist in the air. He looked around at the arid desert that surrounded them. "So, do you want to head back or do you want to look for a dungeon? It's up to you, my friend." Baldur being the most senior among them led Cygnus to leave the decision in his hands. 

[Roll # 65063 No dungeon found]

Baldur looked around the area they were at, and at the condition of his energy bar. They were probably fine as long as he had a chance to recover his energy, but sitting out here waiting for that could be a bit more dangerous than Baldur wanted to admit. He had just had a terrible fight against that creature, and it sapped him a bit of his confidence.

"Tell you what, why don't we go and turn this quest in, it might be enough XP to level you. I'm low on energy and I'd hate for something to happen in the mean time. Once we've resupplied, we can go look for a sub dungeon."

Looking around, Baldur counted up all the Col and the mats they had collected from the boss, and then split it evenly between himself and Cygnus.

"Sorry it's not much, but really the XP is the most important part."

Edited by Baldur