SP - F16 End of Ouroboros <<Snake Out of Water>>

In a flash of light a single blue-haired player appeared on the sixteenth floor, stepping away from the teleportation circle as he entered into the settlement of Zugaikotsushima, followed not long after by a blue peregrine falcon that materialized in a similar manner to him. Making his way through the streets of the safe zone he swiped with two finger in front of him, summoning the all familiar menu of SAO. The light blue transparent screen lit up his face, reflecting in his sea blue eyes as Calrex gave a small sigh, "Another new quest huh? This one looks like it might be more trouble than the reward this time around. I'm surprised the developers designed a quest this difficult. I can understand it possibly promoting group combat...but this might be too much."

It seemed that no one had completed the quest just yet, so the self-titled Ultramarine Knight figured he might as well contribute and see what information he could gather about it. Of course the info broker he had spoken to said that he would pay for any info he found, but the bluenette turned it down, figuring whatever rewards that came as a result of completing the quest would be more than sufficient.

Equipping his gear Calrex made his way over to the spot where the quest supposedly was to trigger, putting his hands into his pockets, "I won't be just completing this, but soloing it as well. I'd best be careful."

Swiping on his menu Calrex looked as he accessed the shared inventory that he and Teayre possessed, producing one item that he figured he would be needing. It was a perfect level damage potion of the second tier, the most powerful booster at the current floor level, "From what I was informed, the field boss spawns in a section of the floor that doesn't have a long enough stretch to trigger the Charge skill, meaning that for the most part I'll be relying on standard damage. At the same time this thing has some abilities that would make fighting it difficult. If I can't use Charge, I'd best use something to compensate for the lack of opening attack damage."

Drawing the Grand Blade II from its sheath the bluenette popped off the top of the potion, pouring the content over the sword. Seemingly drinking in the liquid as it passed over the surface, the sword radiated with a powerful aura. Resheathing the weapon he exited out of the safe zone, looking in the direction of the quest, "I guess I shouldn't waste time and get moving. If this thing is as elusive as it appears, then darkness will only serve to make it that much harder to fight."

Damage Potion (Perfect / Tier 2) Consumed - +6 to DMG (Total Base 13 > 19)

Continuing to make his way forward the bluenette kept his eyes peeled, his pupils darting left and right as he made his way through the brush, "If the information was right, the creature spawns in the area most densely populated by trees and the river. If it's able to use those to its advantage, most likely it will be of larger than reality size. Geeze it's going to be a lot like the movie Anaconda."

Keeping a tight grip on the Grand Blade II he continued, eventually emerging from the brush, but not into an open area. This part was thick with a heavy fog that seemed to obscure objects that were more than a few yards away from him. "That's not a good sign. It's probably not enough to mechanically hinder by attacks, but getting a bead on the snake is going to be all the more difficult with this fog."

"Roc, go ahead and see if you can get a better view of the area. Let me know if anything out of the ordinary comes into your sight."

With a nod his blue peregrine falcon familiar took upwards out of sight, vanishing into the fog. Normally this probably would be a risky move, as the small bird of prey would still be considered a potential target for any larger predators, but Calrex knew that unless Roc was actively close to a fight, he would generally be safe. A lesson he had learned back with Beleram when he and Teayre were will much lower level.

The fog only continued to get more dense as the two continued further inward. At this point the beachside areas seemed a distant memory as Calrex continued to scan his surroundings. Only the calm movement of the river seemed to permeate the atmosphere, but it seemed to only add to the tension as the bluenette continued to keep himself on guard, "The fact that this thing is large and agile is going to make this difficult. For all I know it could have spawned and is stalking me right now. With all that's happened in this game, I wouldn't put it past them."

Turning his head towards what he thought was the noise of a monster materializing he took a couple of quick steps, bringing him to the edge of the river, "Still nothing...not even a shadow in the water."

Looking back towards his initial orientation he saw Roc moving in and out of his sight, but it appeared that even the peregrine falcon was having no luck discerning their target.

"Okay...how much further am I going to have to go to find this thing?"

At this point the tension was starting to slip away as now the bluenette could feel the passage of time growing longer and longer with each passing step. He wasn't sure exactly how far he had traveled now, but it certainly seemed like the game was taking its time to spawn the field boss. Almost unnecessarily long, at least from what he thought at the moment, "I don't see any minions or other creatures around here either, meaning that this boss doesn't have a prerequisite creature to kill for it to spawn. Great..."

Looking forward he saw Roc dart back towards him before moving back around, doing his best to try and find the monster to no avail, "Alright then, I guess we'll just have to keep going until something finally happens. I hope those rumors weren't just a hoax."

After yet another stretch of the river was covered Calrex gave a small sigh, looking around his immediate area. The only part of the landscape that seemed unchanged was the dense fog that had settled in some time back, making visibility that much more difficult, "Geezes I'm getting nowhere just wandering around like this. We've got to change the playing field if we're going to make progress."

Looking at the Grand Blade II he gave a thought before stabbing it into the ground, his aura beginning to form around the blade, "I don't think this has any physical effect, but let's see if it might change the environment just enough to make it clearer to see."

Unleashing <<Howl>> the sound wave shot out from his avatar, echoing through the dense fog. It did seem like the resounding boom that was produced had an effect on the fog, as the area that was touched by the soundwave got pushed back, granting slightly more visibility.

"Alright...well let's see if we can actually make some progress now."

Upon discovering that his skill was able to disperse some of the fog, Calrex began to repeat the technique as he continued along, getting a decent distance from the epicenter of his last <<Howl>> before charging it up and unleashing once again. Every twenty seconds the area seemed to echo out with the monstrous cry from his technique, and with each one the fog seemed to slowly thin.

"Geeze...how big is this area? I swear I've used this technique more times in this short period than any time in the past combined."

Wiping some sweat from his brow the bluenette continued pressing forward, entering once again into another thicket of fog. Following behind was Roc as the peregrine falcon circled around, checking to see any traces of a field boss. However, even to the bird's keen eyes no movement was detected.

After continuing further upstream Calrex looked to see that the river actually had an origin point. As he made his way to the plateau of the area he saw that the river seemed to originate from a waterfall that crashed down into a small pool. However, this pool was still populated with multiple trees, their ashen white trunks jutting up with patches of green all the way up. "So this is about as far as I can go, but still no sign of the field boss. This is starting to get a little bit ridiculous."

Putting a hand behind his head the bluenette looked across the bank, deciding to cross over to the opposite side to see if there was anything he could possibly find on that side, "Geezes I hope the boss shows soon enough."

It was getting to the point where even the ambient white noise of the river was starting to become like silence to him. The deafness of the environment was more jarring than the fact that he couldn't find the creature.

"...still nothing?"

"I wonder if this is some kind of test of patience, because it's really difficult trying to find this thing. Either that, or I'm just not used to slow battles anymore. I guess I'm one to talk though, if I wanted them to be quick I would have gone for a full blown striker build, not a jack of all trades bruiser."

Putting a hand to the back of his head Calrex's eyes scanned the areas he had cleared the fog away from using his <<Howl>> skill, but even with all of his efforts there was still no trace of the field boss, or any creature at that. It was almost as if the river area was devoid of life, to the point that it was starting to become slightly unsettling, "There should be at least some form of life, at least for the setting. Unless they're trying to make this thing seem fearsome by placing it in this place, as if it had killed everything else here."

"Hm...maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. I'm trying to search for a trace of the creature, but if it's possibly blending into the environment...I need to search for parts that stand out."

Refining his "search area" Calrex began looking around the areas he had previously searched, this time looking at the environment in a different manner. Previously he was looking for clear traces of the field boss, whether it be a tuft of fur, a scale, or anything that stood out from the environment. For the most part from what he had seen in SAO, the monsters stood out from the backdrop, even when they were trying to get the jump on people.

However, it appeared that this creature may have specialized in camouflage, meaning that it would be more likely to blend in, trying to get the jump on its prey by getting as close to it as possible before striking, "That means I need to find something that looks like the environment, but may not make sense in his composition."

Putting his hands into his jacket pockets he continued forward, "Roc, try and see if you can get a bead on anything that stands out even though it's trying to blend in. Most likely our target is one that can camouflage itself."

Understanding Calrex's words the peregrine falcon gave a few flaps before soaring ahead, "Now let's see how we do..."

ID: 65317
Loot Dice: 8 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 11 (Hebishinu Not Found)

"Still no luck huh?"

With another few minutes passing by Calrex gave a small sigh as still no trace of the field boss had come into his view. Apparently Roc had no luck either as the blue peregrine falcon touched down on a low hanging branch, shaking his wings as drops of the collected fog fell from the feathers, "Nothing on your end either. Geeze this thing is rather elusive. It's no wonder some people suggested taking it as a team."

Scratching the back of his head the bluenette looked around, "We've pretty much cleared the entire area, including the trees. I wonder if this thing is changing its hiding position every time we pass it by."

Returning his hand back to his jacket pocket he turned and looked towards the river, "What could we do to expose its location?"

Roc shook his head, unsure as well as to any strategies. Even with his sharp eyes the bird of prey was also having difficulty spotting the field boss. This creature had blended in fairly well.

ID: 65319
Loot Dice: 8 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 11 (Hebishinu Not Found)

"Alright, this is starting to be a bit ridiculous. Unless you're actually wearing equipment or possess skills, I think this field boss might be more trouble than its worth. I guess I really did screw up trying to take this alone."

With a small sigh Calrex sat down at the edge of the small drop down into the river, his legs reaching about half the distance to the water's surface. As he sat down Roc also decided to take a break, perching on a branch that overlooked the stream, rustling his feathers before gazing back into the river.

"Alright, so both strategies have failed so far. Looking for the creature within and standing out from the environment has failed, so there must be something I'm still missing. If it's based at all off of real life creatures that use camouflage, then most likely it's blending into only certain parts of this area, meaning that it's area of roaming might be limited. If it ever emerges, then it needs to be quick and accurate to dart in and out of cover."

Crossing his arms the bluenette brought a hand up to his chin, continuing to contemplate, "Hm..."

Getting back to his feet his eyes scanned the area, as if to try and discern a certain part that he could focus on in, "An area that would be it's prowling grounds...maybe...there?"

ID: 65322
Loot Dice: 10 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 13 (Hebishinu Not Found)

Looking down at the water below Calrex gave a small sigh, "I could go around again, but that might take too much time. Alright, here it goes."

Holding his breath he leapt off the side of the riverbank, dropping feet first into the waters. Surprisingly, while the river was deep, the water itself wasn't simulating the cold of reality. His head broke the water's surface as the bluenette took a quick gulp of air before making his way to the other side, emerging and getting back to the higher part of it. Swiping on his menu his avatar rapidly flashed blue as he unequipped and reequipped all of his gear to remove the dampness from them.

Moving a hand through his hair multiple drops from the river fell down, some running down the back of his neck and the sides of his face, but he quickly shook his head back and forth, quickly attempting to get rid of what moisture was left, "Geezes, even in the game it's hard to get your hair to dry quickly."

Looking forward he saw the area that he was looking at previously, giving a small sigh before reaching back and gently grasping the Grand Blade II, "Alright, let's see how this works..."

ID: 65325
Loot Dice: 3 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 6 (Hebishinu Not Found)
Item Switch <<Amethyst Charm>> for <<Slither of Silver>>

"Tch...this is still getting me nothing..."

Crossing his arms Calrex gave a small sigh before pulling up his inventory, swiping through as he tried to think of a way to better boost his searching capabilities, "Hm...not that...I guess that could work..."

"Sorry Teayre, I'm going to need to borrow this for a sec..."

Pressing the approve button the Amethyst Charm vanished for a second as a bangle that appeared to be like a serpent wrapped around his wrist, the slither of Silver, "Heh, it seems with all that's happened I've started touching a bit more into more and more of her past equipment."

Returning his hand to his jacket pocket the bluenette continued forward. The area he had entered certainly felt different from before, like there was an actual threat present within the boundaries of the trees. Roc seemed to recognize this as well, as the bird flew a little higher up, his eyes continually scanning the area for any signs of the field boss. Branches, tree trunks, leaves, everything was being comnbed by the bird of prey's eyes as it attempted to discern the creature's location.

It wasn't going to be long before the two would enter combat once again.

ACC = Same

EVA > +1

LD > +2

ID: 65329
Loot Dice: 11 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +2) = 15 (Hebishinu Found)

A few seconds after Calrex and Roc entered into the lair of the river serpent the creature gave a quick lick of its tongue before sliding out of its hiding place, moving into the river. However, this change in position wasn't passed upon by Calrex, as his eyes locked onto the creature's massive hide as it slid across the ground, "Roc, get eyes on it!"

Responding to the bluenette's command Roc immediately flew into clear sight of their opponent, his eyes locking onto the oversized snake. As he did Calrex's own eyes recognized Roc's accuracy boost, a blue stylized falcon mark appearing on his right cheek. Drawing the Grand Blade II from its sheath he kept his focus trained on the river as the field boss' stats appeared.

"Hebishinu, snake die? Well I guess if that's supposed to mean it's going to die, then I supposed it's correct."

With a calming breath the bluenette watched the snake weave out of the water and through the threes. As he tried to trigger <<Charge>> his eyes widened as he didn't feel the momentum building, "Shoot, the distance must not be enough for me to make use of it. Guess the rumors were on point."

ID: 65348
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +3) = 12 (Disregarded Due to Item Switch)
Loot Dice: 2 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 6 (Hebishinu Not Found)
Item Switch <<Slither of Silver>> to <<Amethyst Charm>>

However, right as Calrex realized that his <<Charge>> could not activate, the field boss took the opportunity to sneak out of sight and back into the trees. At the same time Roc managed to keep lock on it, but it was moving too quickly for the bluenette to keep pace, "Shoot, I guess I've got to wait for it to come around before I can attack."

Swiping on his menu he summoned his inventory, quickly swapping out the Amethyst Charm, which he had placed in his battle ready inventory, for the Sliver of Silver, "Guess I'm down one slot for now..."

As he felt some of his evasiveness return he gave a quick exhale to focus, keeping the Grand Blade II in front of him like a shield as he prepared for the snake's own attack, "Striking should expose its location. Now my only hope is that I'm fast enough to take advantage of it before this thing decides to take a bite out of me."

ACC = Same
EVA > +2
LD > +1

ID: 65351
Mob Dice: 5 (Accuracy +2 / Evasion +2) = 5

As <<Hebishinu>> weaved in and out of the trees it was amazingly almost silent, despite its massive size. The creature itself would likely be too large to be realistic, with its mass being almost large enough to coil around trees and topple them over. However, in SAO this was not the case, as the creature could seamless transition from ground to treetops with ease.

Coming to an opening in the trees above where the blue-haired player was the serpent coiled its muscles like a spring before shooting out. However, even with its keen eyes and opportunistic style, it appeared the biped was faster than he appeared, weaving to the side as its fangs sunk into the mud of the riverbank. Quickly recoiling back the snake returned back to its defensive stealth pattern, waiting for another opportunity to strike.

Calrex: 311/311 | E: 69/69

Hebishinu: 600/600
MIT: 100 (Safeguards: 2/2)
DMG: 60
ACC: 2
Crit Effect:

Spoiler

If lands 9-10 on BD, adds Paralyse or Toxic Venom. On CD, if the dice is 1-6, its Toxic Venom. If 7-12, its Paralyze, along with the +1 or +2 Damage from the roll

ID: 65352
Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +3) = 9 (Vengeful Riposte Success)
Loot Dice: 5 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 8 (Hebishinu Not Found)
<<Parry>> Activated (2 Energy Used / 67 Remaining)

As <<Hebishinu>> crashed into the ground next to him Calrex immediately triggered <<Parry>>. He would have attacked, but this time around the serpent had recovered far too quickly for him to counterattack. His forearms and the Grand Blade II glowed with the light blue hue of his skill as he awaited the attack, "Geezes this thing is fast. Add that to the fact it's using the trees and water as cover is going to make this battle particularly difficult. Maybe once I get back I should warn the info brokers that anyone taking this should get some serious search buff items, or else finding and fighting this thing is going to be a drawn out process."

Calming his breathing pattern the bluenette kept his guard at the ready.

ID: 65351
Craft Dice: 9 (Paralyze Activated)
Mob Dice: 9 (Accuracy +2 / Evasion +2) = 9 (+1 Damage)

The player was quick, but not quick enough. As the serpent got lock of the bluenette once again it shot forward, its fangs locked dead on its target. The attack appeared to connect, but it felt its teeth hit steel as <<Hebishinu>> looked down to see that it had been deflected by the man's sword. At the same time suddenly the player's outline was covered in a light blue before bursting out, slamming into the serpent as it reeled in surprise. Simultaneously it saw part of its slimier skin shed off, a sign that some damage was dealt.

A forked tongue shot out and back in, tasting the air around the snake. Things had not changed from before as it centered itself, beginning its predatory movement pattern once again.

Calrex: 310/311 | E: 67/69 (60+1 DMG / 2 Parry - 30 MIT / 2 Achilles = 1 Minimum DMG / Paralyze Neutralized Due to Parry)

MIT: 100 (Safeguards: 1/2) (1 Achilles)
Crit Effect:

Hide contents

If lands 9-10 on BD, adds Paralyse or Toxic Venom. On CD, if the dice is 1-6, its Toxic Venom. If 7-12, its Paralyze, along with the +1 or +2 Damage from the roll

ID: 65356
Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +3) = 5 (Vengeful Riposte Fail)
Loot Dice: 6 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 9 (Hebishinu Not Found)
<<Parry>> Activated (2 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 66 Remaining)

"Geezes the designers really decided to make things more difficult on this one, didn't they? Well...I guess I wouldn't exactly say more difficult...compared to aggravating. This snake darts in and out of the trees that the only thing that can possibly keep track of it would be something like Roc or an AI-assisted searching ability."

Triggering his <<Parry>> skill once again Calrex prepared himself for another attack. The previous one was unexpected, and from what he could tell might have been more debilitating were the cards not in his favor. When he deflected the attack he saw drips of liquid escape from the massive snake's fangs, indicators that it had some form of debilitating effect that might have caused more trouble. However, after the clash was concluded the bluenette saw no indicator of a status effect, meaning that it either had not triggered, or his own defenses managed to prevent it from happening.

In either case, he wasn't going to let the snake have its way, not he could get a bead on it, "I consumed that damage potion for a reason. From what I can tell this thing's got a thick hide, meaning it might have particularly tough defenses. If I'm going to beat it, I need to outdamage its defenses. In some ways I need to think of this fight as battling a stronger version of myself."

ID: 65357
Mob Dice: 6 (Accuracy +2 / Evasion +2) = 6

The prey was certainly a challenge, one that the serpent had yet to see before. Even thought it had not inflected much damage on <<Hebishinu>> itself, it was capable of minimizing the damage endured, as well as scratching off some of its skin. Flecks of scales had fallen off in areas, making the sliminess of its surface drier than before. It could tell that weaponry would be more likely to sink in if it wasn't careful.

Readying itself for another strike the snake closed in once again, managing to slam its head into the blue-haired target's abdomen. However, once again as it connected its strike the player's sword endured the blow, alongside the same blue light radiating from his avatar, blasting the snake back. The rest of its exterior skin had ripped off in the attack. With a sharp hiss <<Hebishinu>> expressed its frustration as it's eyes locked onto its prey.

This player was no laughing matter, and it appeared that the serpent could no longer enjoy playing with its food.

Calrex: 309/311 | E: 66/69  (60 DMG / 2 Parry - 30 MIT / 2 Achilles = 1 Minimum DMG)

MIT: 100 (Safeguards: 0/2) (1 Achilles)
Crit Effect:

Hide contents

ID: 65369
Battle Dice: 10 (Accuracy +3) = 13 (+2 Damage)
Loot Dice: 18 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 21 (Hebishinu Found)
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 56 Remaining)

With the serpent roaring from Calrex's Achilles damage reflecting the damage the bluenette looked as both he and Roc locked eyes on the creature's location. Its frustration had broken its stealth tactics for just as long as the Ultramarine Knight needed to focus and ready his counterattack. The Grand Blade II shined with the golden glow of <<Meteor Break>> before he rushed forward, the opening strike slamming into the midsection of <<Hebishinu>>'s body. Without its exterior skin to protect it, the full force of the bluenette's attack unleashed. Adding on to the fact he had taken the damage potion before entering the forest, the resulting amount was more than enough to deal a crushing blow, even with the thick exterior the snake possessed.

"Finally some luck..."

Leaping back Calrex gave a small sigh of relief from the small victory before returning to his ready stance, "Just four more of those to go and we'll be done..."

ID: 65370
Craft Dice: 7 (Paralyze)
Mob Dice: 9 (Accuracy +2 / Evasion +2) = 9 (+1 Damage)

Reeling from the player's attack the snake let out a fierce hiss. First the player had effortlessly neutralized its outer skin, and now it had ripped away nearly a quarter of its health. <<Hebishinu>> was not happy with the way its battle was going. This was supposed to be like all of the other prey it had consumed in the past. This was the first one to put up a challenge, and was likely the first bipedal creature to wave a metal blade at it. Coiling its body up once more it didn't bother with stealing, immediately retaliating.

Apparently this was not something the small creature was expecting, as the snake was able to successfully sink its teeth into the blue-haired player's shoulder before releasing him. The paralyzing venom seeped in as the sword-wielding person took a knee, seeming to instantly realize what had occurred.

It appeared that this prey before it had seen more than enough battles of his own to recognize what to do and when. Possibly, this prey may be a predator as well. A welcomed feast, and a challenge on top of that.

Calrex: 293/311 | E: 56/69  (60+1 DMG - 30 MIT / 2 Achilles = 16 DMG / Paralyzed Until Next Turn)

Hebishinu: 457/600 (19+1+2 DMG * 11 Art - 100 = 142 DMG + 1 Achilles)
MIT: 100 (Safeguards: 0/2)
Crit Effect:

Hide contents

ID: 65372
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4 (Disregarded Due to Stun)
No Action Taken ( 1 Recovered / 57 Remaining)

"Tch, so this thing's got a paralytic effect with its venom. But I only got hit with one of its fangs, meaning that it is possible there's more to that attack if it got me with the other, or even both. I definitely need to be careful. Can't really go helping Teayre with Muramasa's influence if I'm some overgrown anaconda's dinner."

"It's a good thing you've got me to keep you alive..."

"Gh! Get...out of my head!"

"Don't delude yourself. If you didn't have my power you'd be much worse off right now..."

"That doesn't justify you being in my head. Enough of that foolish confidence of yours. Everything has a weakness Achilles, you should remember that before that pride of yours becomes your downfall."

As the voice seemed to quiet in his mind Calrex gave a few calming breaths, feeling a bead of sweat fall from his chin. Achilles had triggered multiple times this battle, and it seemed now with each retaliation the influence was slowly growing stronger, "Tch...no time for that. Once I get out of this I need to press my attack."

ID: 65373
Craft Dice: 10 (Paralyze)
Mob Dice: 9 (Accuracy +2 / Evasion Negated) = 11 (+1 Damage)

Its prey was right where it wanted. Unmoving and helpless the snake decided to reach in and take another bite. Without its mobility the blue-haired player was easily hit as it managed to sink its fang into it once again. The blue aura formed once again, bursting out and forcing <<Hebishinu>> to hesitate, but the only slight damage was a clear indicator that its thick hide was more than enough to dampen whatever damage was being sent back. Its tongue slipped in and out of the small gap between its lips, tasting the air.

Nonetheless, the giant snake felt it needed to be careful. Even though its target was unmoving, the initial attacks gave it reason to hesitate. At a moments notice, the sword-wielding creature could easily turn the tables, turning the hunter into the hunted.

Calrex: 277/311 | E: 57/69  (60+1 DMG - 30 MIT / 2 Achilles = 16 DMG / Paralyzed Until Next Turn)

Hebishinu: 456/600 (1 Achilles)
MIT: 100
Crit Effect:

Hide contents