SP - F17 Days of the Five Rings (Day 1: Earth / Nighttime)

It has been nearly half a day since he had met up with Baldur, discussing the various aspects that went into the man's way of wielding the katana, and the philosophies behind it. Now, as night fell on his day training to use the curved blade Calrex gave a small sigh as he sat in the back bedroom area of the Amethyst Boutique. From what he could hear in the front Teayre was hard at work catching up on orders that had come on. It was strange, that even with all that had happened they still shared peaceful moments like these. "Still...I need to face this entity, before I can do anything else."

Stepping out of the back room he gave a smile, walking over and gently brushing the back of his wife's head, "I'm heading to the seventeenth floor for a bit. Nothing too crazy, just testing some techniques out in the safe zone. I'll be back before you know it."

Quietly closing the door behind him the bluenette gave a small sigh, steeling his senses before heading out towards the teleportation plaza, swiping on his menu.

"I hope you're awake...because if not expect your dreams to be rather painful."

"No...I've been aware this whole time, even during your training. Just what do you think you're going to accomplish?"

"Isn't it simple? You're a foreign entity within my mind, placed there when I inherited the unique skill of your name. I still don't know how Tristan seemed to be able to keep it under his control, but I also know he likely didn't invest as much into it as I have."

As he saw the view of the seventeenth floor's sandy expanse, seemingly reminiscent of ancient Greece Calrex gave a small sigh, his bangs being blown to the side from a strong gust of wind. However, this didn't deter his momentum a single pace as he made a direct line towards the exit out of the settlement. Roc followed above as the blue peregrine falcon materialized from the circle.

"I've chosen to train under Baldur's tutelage, because I need more than what this game can gave. There isn't a mental fortitude skill, only physical abilities and buffs. I could give in and decide to have an alchemist simply create a potion to shut your influence out of my mind, but that's a cop out. It won't remove you completely, and every time I try you can just come back even stronger."

Exiting the settlement he directed himself towards the northeast, seeing the large mountain that seemed to be poised to pierce the floors above. From what he heard, it was based off of Mount Olympus, the legendary home of the Greek gods, "I know the history you're based on. You were a legendary warrior born from the union of your father and a nymph. I don't know how much of your background was programmed into you, but I know where that perceived overabundant amount of confidence comes from."

"You certainly think all that knowledge you have crammed into your mind is useful huh? So what if you know what I am based on."

"In your legend, when you very a child, you were dipped into a pool, one that would render your body invincible. But because your mother feared that you would possibly drown, she held you by the backs of your feet, the heel. You're very legend is the very reason that we have the term Achilles heel."

"So what are you getting at?"

"That pride, that hubris, it comes from the fact that you believe no one can defeat you. When your skill was created, it gave the title <<Invincible Warrior>> to whoever bore it. Its effects I am familiar with. Even if your user were to have not a single bit of armor on, they would have more mitigation than most players could possibly gain from enhancements. Add onto that the damage absorbed can be reflected back at the attacker, your wielders would be perceived to be invincible. But I have learned, just like bearing an orange crystal, there is no accolade or worth to that title. So what if I am invincible? Just because it is difficult to kill me, doesn't mean that those around me are also protected. An invincible warrior is one that will eventually be standing alone, poised atop the battlefield."

As he drew closer Calrex looked as he saw the mountain's base come into view, "So...I've come to the resolution, that while I need your power, I don't have a need to keep you in my mind. You are not an ally, and will only serve to hinder my goals."

Giving a calming breath he slowly closed his eyes, letting himself move into his thoughts. As he had suspected, the presence of Achilles was still there, but instead of shutting it out, he welcomed it.

It had been some time since he first saw the physical form of his unique skill's presence, the ghostly appearance of the warrior within the landscape of his mind. "You want to know what I'm after. Then show yourself once again. You did it before, after I completed the Monkey King quest. Reveal yourself to me again..."

Spoiler

latest?cb=20100629105207

"So you wish to see my form once again? I can only guess that you wish to cross blades."

As the bluenette remained on the alert within the real world, his mind remained relaxed, persisting the image of Achilles that manifested by his command. Within his thoughts Calrex gave a smirk in response, "You are correct. It was once before, within the darkness below Florenthia Village, that you decided to first introduce your presence to me. I don't know how Tristan was able to resist you without showing it to anyone for so long. Maybe he didn't even know, at least until seeing Zel and Dom be killed. It's possible that sudden trauma might have released whatever hold you had on him. However..."

Holding his hand in front of him the bluenette gave a small sigh, letting his mind focus, "Remember the training that Baldur showed me, the calm fury, the mental and spiritual strength of Fudoshin, Zandhin, noto...bring those all together..."

In his hands appeared a new blade, one he had recently commissioned from Oikawa back at his shop. It was certainly a katana-class sword, but it was one whose size dwarfed even the Muramasa, the longest weapon within SAO to his knowledge.. It was extremely long, at least two to three feet longer than an odachi, and nearly double the width. To match, the handle itself looked at least two times the length of a regular katana. In terms of weaponry, it was a zanbato or zhan ma dao, designed for felling mounts when back in feudal times. As fully manifested in his mental landscape he grasped both ends of the handle, slowly lowering it into a ready position, "Everything I possess, everything I am, everything that makes me me. They are all tools at my disposal."

As Calrex moved into his ready stance, Achilles seemed to manifest his own weapons, a gladius alongside a circular shield with two ends cut out, "Very well..."

"Sad for you, but with your influence in my mind I am also treating as a part of me. So, you're going to be my tool, to solidify the training that I have learned."

Conditional Effect: Mental Landscape
Calrex's battle within his own mind takes place outside of the constraints of Sword Art Online, following more basic guidelines, but also incorporating other aspects.

• Neither opponent is capable of dying, as it isn't reality
  • All enhancements due to equipment, familiars, and skills are disabled
  • Sword Arts are disabled and Energy is removed from play
  • Achilles gains <<Achilles>> skill: Everytime Calrex scores a hit, it reflects dealing 1 count
  • Battles ends after 10 hits have been scored by either combatant
  • Calrex gains Novice level skill in Fudoshin:
    • On CD rolls of 11-12, Calrex's attack is treated as having the critical effect and bypasses the <<Achilles>> skill
Spoiler

ID: 65679
Loot Dice: 20
ID: 65680
Loot Dice: 4
Calrex strikes first

ID: 65681
Battle Dice: 2 (Miss)
Craft Dice: 9 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful)

"I have yet to use this sword in actual combat, even if it's my own image training."

Calming his senses Calrex let the rush of emotions that Baldur said to use in order to fuel the fire within himself run, his eyes locking onto Achilles as his grip remained firm, yet relaxed on the Shin Masamune. The oversized blade reflected the inner light of its design, seeming to have a hypnotic appearance.

As he lowered himself into a charging stance the flowing tassels of the excess tsuba wrap spiraled around each other, the dark blue tails seeming to spin continuously before the bluenette rushed forward. While doing so a single phrase could be seen engraved on the surface of the unsharpened edge.

"Cast in the Name, Ye not Guilty."

Closing the distance Calrex let his mind shut out all other thoughts, bringing the oversized curved blade above his head. Right as his advance stopped him in front of Achilles, he brought the blade down, "HYA!"

ID: 65682
Battle Dice: 6 (Hit)

"Too slow..."

Right as Calrex's blade came down the Shin Masamune crashed into the raised shield of Achilles. Even though the man only had one arm to shield with, the curved surface of the shield seemed to let the blade slide off to the side, none of the impact being absorbed by the warrior's gear.

"Do you think a simple bit of philosophical drivel is going to make you stronger? My skill was what determined your survival, what protected your predecessor. Do you honestly believe tossing it aside will save you?"

"No, I've already accepted the fact that if I don't rank up this skill, I won't be making full use of my capabilities. I need the skill, but I don't need you. I'm going to eliminate your influence over my mind. That's why I decided to learn from Baldur, to train in wielding the katana. I can't even begin to attempt helping Teayre until I bring you under control. So strap in, this is going to be a long next few days, but until I eliminate you I'm not going to quit."

"Then keep trying."

Pushing Calrex's blade to the side Achilles spun around, cutting the bluenette across the abdomen before ramming him with a shield bash. Being knocked back the Ultramarine Knight gave a few breaths to refocus, maintaining his grip on the Shin Masamune.

Calrex: 9/10

Achilles: 10/10

ID: 65781
Battle Dice: 6 (Hit)
Craft Dice: 10 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful / Achilles Triggered)

"Come back to center..."

As he regained his composure Calrex straightened himself before lowering back into a normal stance, the Shin Masamune's chalk white surface reflecting his face and his opponent's, "Just remember what Baldur taught you..."

Achilles took advantage of his previous strike, rushing forward with an aim to come down with his gladius onto the bluenette's shoulder. However, this time Calrex was ready. Moving his back hand his oversized sword's point met the Greek warrior's edge, being parried to the side. Reactively he brought his shield in front to guard, but the bluenette saw the muscles begin to move, dropping low enough that his sword's edge cleared beneath the shield.

Stepping upwards at the same time he cut forward, slashing across Achilles' abdomen.

Unfortunately, it appeared his strength behind the strike wasn't enough, as the unique skill triggered, blasting him back.

ID: 65782
Battle Dice: 4 (Miss)

"You don't seem to get it. Even in this landscape of yours, I am still stronger. Give in."

"Sorry, but I have no intentions of quitting anytime soon."

Achilles' eyebrows furrowed before he rushed forward, shield forward aimed to bash into Calrex, but it only whiffed air as the Ultramarine Knight backstepped, moving to the side so that the charge passed by.

Turning around the warrior flipped his gladius over his wrist, "To think someone like you was the one I was passed on to. I will make sure you grovel before me by the time we're done."

Calrex: 8/10

Achilles: 9/10

ID: 65886
Battle Dice: 2 (Miss)
Craft Dice: 11 (Fudoshin Successful)

"Sorry to disappoint, but I don't grovel. Blame my upbringing, but I have no reverence for militant authority. Demand me to bow before you, and you'll be more likely to receive a punch to the face."

Calrex gave a smirk at his own comment, returning back to the calm fury that he had focused on before. As a few seconds went by he certainly felt the strength of the Fudoshin training Baldur had showed him come back, the moral weight weighing down on the Shin Masamune. Returning back to the Zanshin stance the blade's face turned chalk white once again from the angle of light reflecting off its surface.

Exhaling once the bluenette closed his eyes before slowly reopening them, the sound in his mental landscape seeming to fade away for a second.

"Concentrate..."

Stepping forward he brought the sword back, his front foot seeming to plant into the ground like he was rooting to the stepping area below his foot. Moving forward with strength he felt himself rocket forward, almost instantly upon Achilles as he swung horizontally.

ID: 65887

"Once again too slow..."

The extended curved blade seemed to slide through the air, coming into striking distance of the Greek warrior's neck before his circular shield came up, the curved surface deflecting the blade away. Although the warrior certainly felt the impact of the hit, his arm shaking for a second before he tensed his arm muscle, shifting the shield back forward before charging into Calrex, knocking him back then following with a diagonal down cut.

"Gh!"

Sliding to a stop the bluenette gave a small sigh, straightening himself before lowering back into his stance for wielding the katana, "I probably won't win this battle, but I already know this is going to take time. It's not something that will be solved overnight..."

Calrex: 7/10

Achilles: 9/10

ID: 65917
Battle Dice: 9 (Hit)

Returning back to center Calrex's eyes remained locked on Achilles, the Shin Masamune's tip trained on the Greek warrior. Exhaling slowly the bluenette's grip adjusted so that he could grasp the handle of the zanbato length sword without feeling the excess weight. "Focus...Not once so far have I applied the training correctly."

Letting his mind focus, it was as if the fire within him seemed to burn brighter. All of the aggression, sadness, and desperation he initially felt almost instantly melted away, becoming fuel for the burning strength inside him.

"I may not defeat you this night, but I won't go down without rattling your head around inside that helmet."

Rushing forward he felt his entire body feel light, the oversized blade becoming physically light in his hands. As he got into striking range he stepped forward in a fierce downward swing, releasing a intense roar in time with his strike, "HIYAH!"

ID: 65919
Battle Dice: 7 (Hit)

"GAH!"

Even though Achilles tried to shield against the incoming attack, this time around the massive blade crashed into the shield, causing one side to give way as the bluenette's sword slammed into the Greek warrior's helmet, cutting down it while pulling the front further forward, blocking the fighter's face.

In frustration Achilles cut in front of him, successfully slashing Calrex's front diagonally. A large gash in his casual combat clothing appeared as Calrex leapt back, seeing a diagonal portion of his front was exposed, "Nice retaliation there."

"Wasn't expecting you to deal such a strong blow."

"Like I said, you think you're invincible, but after bearing your skill for so long, I know it's weaknesses. If I focus enough into one strike, it doesn't matter whether or not, I can cut through it."

Calrex: 6/10

Achilles: 8/10

ID: 66042
Battle Dice: 5 (Miss)
Craft Dice: 8 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful)

Adjusting his angle for striking Calrex gave a calming breath, the Shin Masamune rotating around his body almost like a helicopter propeller before falling into position. Rushing forward once again the bluenette focused his senses, trying to return back to the state of Fudoshin that had broken through Achilles' defense just a few moments ago, "Keep calm, feed the fire inside, block out any distracting thoughts."

Coming back into striking range he took a quick leap forward, the massive blade over his head. Eyes locked onto Achilles' form before he brought the blade downwards, "HIYAH!"

ID: 66043
Battle Dice: 3 (Miss)

Unfortunately the zanbato only crashed into the ground as the ancient Greek warrior sidestepped the attack, narrowly avoiding the powerful blow, "Maybe you've finally caught some of your stride, but it doesn't matter. Submit to the power I give, let it take over. I'd make a much better Ultramarine Knight that you ever were."

"Tch, the title that you have proven yourself worthy of it the Invincible Warrior, but that means nothing. A warrior that can survive while others die, unable to protect them, is worthless."

"Watch your tongue."

Attempting to silence Calrex Achilles rushed forward, attempting another shield charge, but just like how he avoided the blow from the Shin Masamune, his own attack was evaded. The bluenette sidestepped, the buckler merely passing by as the warrior needed to slide to a stop. "Am I wrong? You pride yourself at being undefeatable, but in a war it doesn't matter if one sentry remains alive, because if he is alone then defeat is already been assured. To think that you are victorious because you can survive is foolish at best."

Calrex: 6/10

Achilles: 8/10

ID: 66050
Craft Dice: 7 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful / Achilles Triggered)

It seemed as if Calrex's words had struck a nerve in the ancient Greek warrior as the man gritted his teeth for a second. They were battling with words as much as they were clashing blades, even on the mental landscape. This was the fight that the bluenette knew he needed to win. It would mean nothing if he merely defeated Achilles in a imaginary duel, because the influence of the unique skill's personality would remain. He needed to crush its mind and spirit, break its will to bring it under his control. A prideful warrior such as he was in some ways like a bull. While the Ultramarine Knight would prefer to simply harmonize, exist alongside the man, if the unique's hubris did not allow such a thing, then he could not allow it to take over. If it came to a battle of wills, he couldn't allow himself to lose.

The broken focus translated to a lack of alert as Calrex quickly rushed forward, the Shin Masamune's massive blade coming down from above once again. Focusing his senses into the strike he felt the fire inside continue to burn as he quickly brought the sword down, "KIRYA!"

ID: 66051

"Gh!"

The attack was once again successful, breaking past Achille's shield and cutting into the warrior's armor. However, it appeared that the bluenette's focus wasn't on point, as suddenly the aura of the <<Achilles>> skill erupted out, blasting him back. Taking advantage of the push Achilles rushed forward, his gladius at the ready as he came from a low angle, cutting upwards.

It appeared the surprise wasn't enough as Calrex quickly tilted his body to the opposite side of the incoming attack, dodging the blow as it swept upwards, cutting where his shoulder would have originally been.

"Do you believe you can defeat me with sheer will? You are correct, this skill works only on the wielder alone, but these situations are exactly where it specializes. It can endure many blows from many opponents, but numbers is also its weakness. However, in single battles it keeps the wielder alive, allowing them to fell whatever opponent comes their way. Without this skill, do you really think you can defeat me?"

"That's the last thing on my mind. When in battles such as these, I never expect myself to survive. That instinct needs to be cut out, because preservation of my own life will cause me to hesitate, a fatal error in any form of combat. If I worry about my own well-being, it will hinder me from accomplishing what I need to do. You've been with me with all of my training, so you are well aware of what I intend to accomplish."

Calrex: 5/10

Achilles: 7/10

ID: 66052
Battle Dice: 5 (Miss)
Craft Dice: 8 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful)

"You can't save someone if you can't save yourself, right? You intend to eliminate my will before you try to help your wife with conquering the influence of her unique. What a hopeless romantic you are."

Attempting to take advantage of the initial attack he had left a few seconds ago Calrex quickly brought the Shin Masamune to the side, swinging forward to deliver a fierce rising cut diagonally up and to the left, as if to cleave Achilles in half on a diagonal. Unfortunately, the ancient Greek warrior avoided the attack with a slight lean to the side, just like the bluenette had performed just a few moments ago, "Hopeless? Getting a head of yourself there."

"Am I?"

ID: 66053
Battle Dice: 10 (Hit)

With a quick dodge Achilles went in low, jamming his shield into Calrex's gut, knocking the wind out of him while forcing the bluenette back. With the momentum propelling his opponent backwards the warrior rushed forward, unleashing a relentless series of cuts with his glaive before performing a physics defying feat. He leapt around Calrex in mid-air, his shielded hand grasping the Ultramarine Knight's shoulder to use as a pivoting point. Coming from behind he sent a stab forward into the middle of the bluenette's back, knocking him back forward to neutralize the momentum from his initial rush. The attack staggered Calrex, but left him standing.

"Don't forget your 'master's words, that you may not be able to save her. What will you do then? Will you still try to save her, reach out to try and call to her true self? You seem to think you know that redheaded girl, but you didn't know her before seeing her in the game. Maybe the person you thought you knew was merely a facade."

The rapid assault had winded Calrex as he took a knee to catch his breath. Even though he was in his mindscape, the simulated attacks still felt real enough. The weakness of breath, all of it, "Tch, and what would you do?"

"Me? Well the needs of the many over the needs of the few. This world is like being at war. If she was a soldier in my ranks, cutting down my men, I'd put her down like a rabid dog."

"Heh, well there's that hubris going again. You think that Teayre is so easy to kill? There's a reason why she's still alive, even now. She's grown up constantly trying to survive. She's never been able to rest without feeling under threat or watch. That lifestyle leads to a hyper-alertness. The second she thinks you will turn on her, she'll cut you down in a second."

Calrex: 4/10

ID: 66054
Craft Dice: 7 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful)

"Tch, that hit must have rattled me harder than I thought."

As Calrex got to his feet he felt his arms shaking, as if still recovering from the barrage of attacks Achilles had unleashed a few moments ago. Giving a small grunt he tightened his grip, forcing his arms to comply before looking back over at the ancient Greek warrior, rushing forward. Calming his senses he focused on his target, sliding to a striking stance as he swung from left to right, aiming to cleave horizontally.

ID: 66055

"Looks like you've slowed down again."

As the Shin Masamune closed in on Achilles he simply lowered his shield, blocking the attack as it slammed into the buckler. At the same time he swung, attempting to strike at Calrex's neck, but the attack failed as the bluenette dropped low, avoiding the attack.

"Not slow on my reaction though. Either that or you're getting worn down. Heh, maybe I'm starting to have an effect."

• 3 weeks later...

ID: 66847
Battle Dice: 1 (Miss)
Craft Dice: 5 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful)

ID: 66848

No words were further exchanged between the two at this point as Calrex and Achilles clashed in the former's mental arena. The Shin Masamune and the Greek warrior's gladius scraped against each other multiple times, the deathly quiet being broken each time with the sound of scratching metal. At times it was broken with the sound of the massive two-handed sword slamming into the warrior's shield, a crumpling sound with each blow.

As the two slid back Calrex rushed forward once again, bringing the oversized curved blade to the side as he stopped his advance abruptly in front of Achilles, using his entire body to swing horiontally, the arc trained on the ancient Greek's neck. However, right as the strike seemed to connect his opponent once again deflect it aside.

Sliding back from the momentum the bluenette gave a calming breath, continuing to maintain holding his focus, tuning out all external distractions, as well as the continuing to stoke the flame burning within.

ID: 67100
Battle Dice: 1 (Miss)
Craft Dice: 2 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful)

ID: 67101

As the battle continued on Calrex rushed forward, the Shin Masamune circling vertically as he brought it down in a vertical chop aimed for Achilles' helm. The massive curved blade came from behind the bluenette, cutting through the air at an incredible speed that was assisted by his strength as well as the weight of the sword itself. Coming towards the ancient Greek warrior's helmet it appeared that the cut was going to be clean.

At least, that was the case before the embodiment of his unique skill brought both his arms upwards, shield arm on top while the sword arm acted as reinforcement. The Shin Masamune was stopped by the solid guard before the edge was tilted to the side, the remaining momentum carrying the blade out of harm's way.

Having had to endure the powerful strike, Achilles merely lowered his arms to the side, "So you're going to remove my will over you, and try to use whatever experience you gain to help your wife. A noble cause, but you certainly are making decisions in a vacuum, aren't you?"

Regaining his stance Calrex gave a calming breath before responding, "I'm already aware that I'm doing so, but this is something I have resolved to do. If I wait for Teayre, then the influence of Muramasa will have time to strengthen its hold on her. Time to form an educated course of action will only lead me to failure."

"And what if you fail nonetheless? How many live as she claimed now? What makes you think your efforts will change her way of thinking."

As if to properly address Achilles retort, Calrex momentarily lowered the Shin Masamune, "Because I know where I've failed. If I can't communicate my thoughts to her with words, then I'll do so with my blade. If that's the only way to get through to her, then I'll do so to my upmost capability."

ID: 67751
Craft Dice: 9 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful)

ID: 67752
Battle Dice: 8 (Hit)

"You seem to have a lot of confidence in that regard, so what if in the end all of your efforts fall on deaf ears?"

As Achilles gave another string of questions Calrex rushed forward, slashing downwards with the Shin Masamune once again. His battle cry echoed out, but it certainly didn't synergize with the burning feeling inside, his strike not flowing with the full power of the Fudoshin Baldur had shown him.

The hesitation gave Achilles enough of an opening to bash him back with his shield, knocking away another bit of the bluenette's battle health. Feeling the sensation of exhaustion starting to come over him, Calrex forced himself back into a ready stance as the ancient Greek warrior continued, "I've seen how the two of you interact, and sometimes I wonder how the hell two opposite ends of the moral spectrum ended up together."

"The person you see now is not her..."

"Is it? Or maybe she did the thing that every worthless person in the world does: Put up a front that is appealing, then dropping it once the relationship is secured. How do you know she wasn't a mass killer in disguise? Your memories certainly do a good job of trying to twist the facts. What was it with that last conversation, with her praising her father, as if he was some kind of philosopher. Yet, she was the very one that cut him down the minute she saw him! Isn't that a controversy in itself?! If that man was anything of value to her, she should have been raising him on a pedestal."

"Tch, you may know my memories, but you still are blind to the person. You know a person from their actions, not their emotions. That's how a soldier thinks, and that's all you are."

Calrex: 3/10

ID: 67753

ID: 67754
Battle Dice: 4 (Miss)

"I became a legend because of that very thing Calrex. My strength and invincibility made me a one-man army on the battlefield. What happened while I was away from shore mattered nothing to me, because I am at home on the battlefield. My senses were trained to detect treachery, insubordination, and killer intent. Those things are what I smell all over that beloved wife of yours."

"Like I said..."

Rushing forward Calrex felt the fury of his Fudoshin flow through his entire body once again, the Shin Masamune feeling easy to manipulate, parting the air with each move once again. Releasing a roar he came across Achilles' side with a powerful side cleave. The ancient Greek warrior tried to lower his shield in time to block, but this time around the blow came to fast and cut through cleanly, not even triggering the knockback of the skill.

"...that is all you know. You know nothing about what life is like outside of the battlefield, of what it is like to put your gladius and shield down, to lower your defenses and be exposed. In your words, and possibly Teayre's, to be weak, vulnerable, and be content with that realization. I've seen her in such a state before, back when we were first starting out. The way she used to stay close and draw random patterns on the back of my hand, and let tears fall when afraid. To get angry because someone she cared about put themselves in danger. To actually give a damn about people. That is the person I know, and the person I believe is still in that body."

"Heh...so what exactly do you think is keeping that person from coming back?"

"The very thing that made an AI entity like you exist, the brilliant stupidity of a man who wanted to be ruler of a world of his own creation. A man who wanted to play god, and does so everyday by toying with the emotions of those he had trapped in it. A man who invented various ways to pick, manipulate, and abuse our minds until there is nothing left. Who probably laughs every time a person willingly kills themselves, takes the life of another, or comes to accept this game as their reality, abandoning the one that their loved ones exist in."

Returning back to his ready stance Calrex gave a calming breath, stoking the flame of emotions inside, "That man's mistake will be the very thing I have to undo. If she is trying to go down a fated path of destruction, then I will bullrush her off of it, because if she had deluded herself into think only that path is the appropriate one for someone like her, I'll snap her back to reality."

"Then once again, what if that fails?"

"If another path for her does not exist, I'll will that path into existence."

Calrex: 3/10

Achilles: 6/10

ID: 67755
Craft Dice: 8 (Fudoshin Unsuccessful / Achilles Triggered)

ID: 67756
Battle Dice: 8 (Hit)

Rushing forward to press his advantage Calrex focused and swung once again, this time diagonally cutting across Achilles' form, but it appeared this time his attack was caught by the Achilles, the aura shooting out and blasting him back. Sliding a few feet from the momentum of the strike the bluenette looked forward to see that the ancient Greek warrior had closed the distance and initiated his own counter assault.

Swinging quickly he managed to leave two slashes in Calrex's chest, the first coming from his collarbone down to the middle of the opposite side, and the next straight across the center. Gritting his teeth the bluenette regained his footing, inching back to gain some ground between the two.

"Doesn't that go against the very thing you've taken pride in doing? Knowing the potential outcomes, and responding accordingly in order to achieve the best result. Isn't that what a contributing member of society does? Avoid conflict, and gain social competence?"

"What you say may be true, but that leaves things unchanged. In a corrupt world, playing nice and tagging along accomplishes nothing for the betterment of the community. Being discontent with the status quo, and actually doing something about it, that's what betters a society, not compliance."

"So you're going to change who you are, so that you can try to save this girl? She must have some influence over you."

"She was the first to spark change in me when we first met. This matter is no different. But now it was time that I returned the favor. If Teayre was able to make a better person out of me, then I will do my best to make a better person out of her."

"Nonetheless, look at the current status of this duel you yourself set up. My victory is all but assured."

"I know well enough that I wouldn't be able to overcome you in one night, but that doesn't mean that I can't over the course of many. As long as it takes, I will fight you on this plane for as many nights as it takes, until you finally submit and leave my thoughts alone."

Calrex: 1/10

Achilles: 5/10

ID: 67760
Craft Dice: 12 (Fudoshin Successful)

ID: 67761

In a final clash Calrex and Achilles rushed at each other once again. Readying the Shin Musamune the bluenette came into striking distance, feeling the burning fire of his Fudoshin within him as he swung forward. This was reflected, as the blow managed to cleave through the ancient greek warrior, and even knock his shield out of his grip, clanging against the floor of the mental landscape Calrex had created. Another successful hit that did not trigger the <<Achilles>> retaliation aura.

However, this did not stop the Greek warrior, who quickly rushed forward, crashing his now exposed elbow into Calrex before following up with a front thrust kick, knocking the Ultramarine Knight to the ground.

As Calrex readied to get back to his feet he looked to see that Achilles had planted his foot on top of the face of his massive two-handed curved blade, training the gladius on him.

"Very well then. As the bearer of my power, and one that plans to overthrow me, I accept this challenge you have given me, and acknowledged you as my rival. So come at me, again and again, each of these nights. Throw all of your best tactics at me, and we shall see in the end who will be left standing. Until I see you in this landscape once again Calrex, I bid you farewell."

With that he brought his gladius down, cutting into the bluenette's mental avatar and knocking away the one last point of the battle health. The duel was concluded, with Achilles' victory.

Calrex: 0/10

Achilles: 4/10

A few moments after their image duel had concluded, Calrex felt the sensation of Aincrad's environment around him, the small bits of sand being blown against him from the desert-like landscape of the seventeenth floor. Being in the duel had rid him of his other senses for a time, and now that the battle was concluded, those senses were returning. Slowly opening his eyes he saw the night sky as he gave a small sigh to himself, "Course I wasn't expecting to succeed on my first try, but even so I managed to knock away more than half of his health."

Slowly getting to his feet the bluenette moved some of his hair out of his face before returning his hands to his jacket pockets, "What Achilles said makes logical sense, and is certainly something I would have and will take into account. But what I said in that duel was true. If I don't give this attempt everything I have, I can't let things go."

Luckily enough, no roaming malevolent players or monsters had attacked him during the time, but it was possible that not much time had passed. For all he knew, it may have only been a few minutes here in SAO, which felt like an entire duel in his mind. "In any case, I should be heading back to the Amethyst Boutique. I can't neglect my rest for this."

As he made his way back through the sandy plains of the seventeenth floor Calrex continued to slow release the built up emotions that were raging inside him, the result of channeling his Fudoshin during the battle. With a calming breath he brought his hands together at his chest, as if concentrating the whirlwind inside into his grasp. Doing so he felt the emotions slowly begin to subside before finally returning back to a calm state as he casually threw his right hand to the side, as if throwing away a handful of dust. He had returned back to his usual self, and he felt some relief from the action.

"The cold persona, and Fudoshin. They're simultaneously different and the same, just like Baldur said. I just hope that I can convey this to Teayre. Huh?"

Feeling a sense of wetness in his eye the bluenette raised a hand, feeling that a tear had formed in the corner. A look of surprise overtook him for a second before he gave a small sigh and a nod, "Of course that would happen, because doubt is yet another part of me as well. The idea that even with everything I do, I may still in the end fail, and lose one of the most important people to me."

As he continued walking he recalled the alternate path he saw for himself, back many months ago when he was still part of Absolute Pin, where he saw himself become lost in his feelings of loss, become being consumed by the delusion of ridding the world of SAO of player-killers, by becoming one himself. Looking back on it now, he knew that path would never come to fruition, because his senses snapped him back to reality and closed it off. There was no way to fight death with more death. Killing a killer, and becoming one as a result, merely made you a target for more killers, and perpetuated the cycle. This game was built on the concept of violence, where the slaying of monsters was the only way to progress forward. But the slaying of players was not the goal, and from what he had observed, possibly to some it had become one. However, he also knew the factual truth: Killing other players would not bring anyone closer to making it out of this game.

That being said, he still knew that there may come a day where he could not avoid taking the life of another, and there just may be the possibility it could be someone that he was close to. That was why he resolved himself, rather than to not take another life, but to avoid taking a life when it was unnecessary. He understood that in the end, he may just as well be judged and considered a criminal, even if what he knew to be right was in fact the case. But that was another discussion for another time. At this moment, he just needed to rest.