[PP-F1] The Clouds are My Boat (Esper)

Kasier’s eyes scanned the ends of the safe zone in complete boredom. Her hair was swaying in the wind of the first floor. Soon, she would have to leave this place. As a higher leveled player, it was about time that she moved up in the ranks and moved up a few floors. She had heard that Itzal had decided to do so as well and now, he was more on the second floor than the first. However, she knew that moving shops was a struggle. Just like in real life, moving shops would require a lot of work. Just because this was a video game doesn’t mean everything is completely effortless. In fact, everything that you have or can possibly have requires your work and effort in order to reach that goal.

Kasier smiled, organizing her hair which had been made a mess as it fell on her hair, covering her vision and hiding her red amber eyes as she sat on the park bench, under the bright sun as it shone upon her in the bright day. It was a good day, a day suitable for adventure yet there were no adventures available for her to complete. Life was good at the moment, she had just returned from a meeting with Mossino, it was the next day and immediately, she was bored once more. Sometimes, she wished she could just return to be what she used to be but knowing who she was, she would die instantly.

Soon, she stood up, having had enough of the scenery for the morning before walking to the café that she so enjoyed before walking in and placing an order. With her arms raised, she yelled at the waiter in order-to-order a food item that she so desired at the moment as her stomach grumbled. “Hey, waiter, can I have a chocolate pudding as well as a bagel please?"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The daylight shed upon its people a blazing corona, and with it, warmth and comfort. It felt like a real sun, Esper thought. In fact, as hard as it was to imagine, everything seemed real, or close to it. And that was the impressive part. Only, it was troubling to value these qualities when you've plunged yourself unknowingly into a death game, and you can't leave without, well, leaving life itself behind. 

But currently, the dark skinned girl would follow the cobblestone path that winded through the city, absentmindedly looking at the townsfolk. Shops, smiths, all sorts of things decorated the roads and paths, and it seemed that people were always quick at work. It was busy and noisy, which often was something Esper liked to avoid. But, she chose this time to walk towards a café, which was empty for the most part, save for just a few players and NPCs. Quietly, she would sit herself into a black, metal chair, her arms folded nearly across her chest as she stared outwards, toward the busy streets.  "........" She remained silent, but something in her ruby tinted eyes displayed unease. As if, maybe she were here for a reason.

Kasier watched, her red amber eyes staring at the door as she saw a white haired woman walking into the shop. Her dark skin tone was almost completely opposite to the hair that she had which was almost as white as paper itself. She too sat down in a corner of the shop, except in a different corner. Kasier personally sat in a corner because she didn’t really want to bother anyone who walked in, whether the woman was the same, she didn’t know. Perhaps the white-haired woman just didn’t want any company for the morning. Lots of people were like this, unable to wake up completely early in the morning because of the atmosphere in this game.

Kasier then heard a distant voice right next to her. She had been too deep in thought and hadn’t realized the fact that the waiter had already arrived with her bagel and pudding. The bagel wasn’t so appetizing but the pudding was a whole different story. Kasier had always had a sweet tooth and hence, without thought, she thanked the waiter and started with the food. While she was eating, she looked at the white-haired girl once more to see that she wasn’t ordering anything. Her red eyes looked unsettling and Kasier felt the urge to approach her.

With a sigh, she listened to her instincts. As she stood up, she picked up her plate of pudding, bagel, as well as an extra menu. She walked quietly and nodded to the white-haired woman to notify the woman of Kasier’s existence. She then sat down on the seat opposite of the white-hair before handing the menu to the girl.

“Well, it’s kind of hard to order something to eat if you don’t have a menu telling you what is available right?” She stated.

"This world. What is my purpose here? If it's real, then what's in store for me? Am...Am I going to die here? Maybe. But with a past so depressing, can I really call this a bad thing? Maybe this is good for me, a chance for new things. New friends doesn't sound horrible. I can't do this alone, and I don't want to. Perh-" Esper was disconnected from her thoughts, the process interrupted by a figure that beckoned her acknowledgement. So she turned her head towards the girl sitting opposite her, and exchanged a confused quirk of her eyebrows. "O-Oh, is that so..." She murmured almost silently, before meekly withdrawing the menu from the black haired girl. For some reason, Esper refused to make eye contact for long, only trading glances as she hid her face in the menu. Ah, but that's when she remembered something important to the cause. She didn't have any col! Timidly, she closed the menu and averted her gaze to the left, her fingers clacking one by one on the table, and repeating the pattern. "I'm not that hungry, but thanks anyway."

Moments made it harder to keep her eyes to herself, and her curiosity denied her any leniency, as she began to look at the general features of the other. Jet black hair, amber tinted eyes, somewhat comparable build, but taller. And, just from first impressions, she didn't sense any hostility. She only offered.a menu though, she had to credit. "What brings you over here? Is there something I can do to be of assistance?"

Kasier smiled, as the white-haired girl seemed to snap into reality. She seemed to be deep in thought just a couple of seconds ago and now, she was back, back into the actual world. Kasier shivered a bit, suddenly feeling a breeze. Somehow, she had a strange feeling about the woman. She didn’t know why she felt this suddenly but she realized soon that there was something strange about the woman. She couldn’t place her finger on that special something. Maybe it was just her imagination or maybe she was just tired from the previous days of events that had startled and surprised her.

But there was definitely something special about this girl. For now, though, she will simply just talk and perhaps find out more about the woman. After she had offered her the menu, the woman refused but it was clear that she had not yet ordered. For some strange reason, the woman didn’t order any food item but was here in a restaurant. Kasier smiled at the woman’s awkwardness. With a shrug, she began to speak, “You don’t want to order? Well, I don’t see the point of being in a restaurant or café if you don’t want to eat anything. Feel free to order, everything’s on me.” Kasier said, once more offering the menu to the girl.

Kasier sighed, bending her head to eat the pudding once more. She had managed to finish half of the black food item when the girl asked her if she could be of any assistance. With a smile, she looked up with her red, amber eyes looking directly at the girl before beginning to speak. “I don’t need any assistance from you. I think I should be the person asking that question. Do you need any assistance from me?” She asked, scooping up yet another spoonful of pudding.

"Oh, uhm, no! I'm quite alright, but thank you for offering, that's very kind....No, I came here to think, or something. It's less crowded here, and leaving the capital without someone seems illogical. Of course, I'm new, but you knew that already." After this, Esper seemed vexed, and wordless. Something might seem to be denying her the will to communicate just yet, but for some reason she knew this wasn't the case. It was, without a doubt, her perceptive nature failing to cooperate. Be it the moment, or this girl specifically, Esper couldn't read her. She hardly got the slightest of impressions, save for her impenetrable kindness. For now, that was where she chose to focus her thoughts. "I don't intend to be rude, but why are you trying to help me? You didn't strike me as a social one, seeing as you were sitting alone just as I was." "Do I know her? That's rather doubtful, and the odds would be rather low. Maybe she's just a nice person? Well, I can't rule that out, can I? She could be an information broker, but I doubt I'm more interesting than a wild boar. Hnn...."

While her mind was busily computing what little knowledge it had about this girl, the doubts stacked upon each other. Now, Esper wasn't one to act on assumptions, but rather with solid data, or reasonable instincts. She saw yet nothing wrong with this woman, only quite the opposite. 

"Forgive me, I'm just a bit confused right now. I'm still trying to process some things..."

Kasier smiled, her face lighting up as she realized that the woman was constantly deep in thought. The woman stared straight ahead, her head still and her face relaxed, an obviously sight that she was a woman in sight. Of course, Kasier didn’t know how smart the woman was, or her level. But judging from the fact that she hadn’t ordered anything, Kasier figured that she was very low leveled. She still did not believe the fact that the woman wasn’t hungry. But she didn’t mind anymore. Heck, she had even stopped eating from her own pudding. This woman intrigued her, and Kasier was intrigued. And believe her when she says this… She is rarely intrigued in this world of Aincrad.

“I’m not the social type. But I wouldn’t mind helping a player occasionally,” the player had personally said that she was low leveled, “and you intrigue me. Tell me more about yourself.” Kasier said, her head resting on her arm as she forgets completely about the food that was laid out in front of her. Often, Kasier is able to realize exactly what someone’s personality is from the first look, but she was unable to do the same thing from looking at this girl and she wanted to know who she was, her curiosity drives her.

Of course, Kasier was never the intelligent one. She was simply someone who is able to kind of read people. If she were intelligent, she would surely have already read the girl inside and out. “But pardon me, it seems like you are in a deep train of thought if you are processing something…” Kasier said, rather sarcastic. When someone says the word “process”, it most likely refers to the concept of robotic calculations. Perhaps this is a symbol? An indication that the mind of this girl is just as brilliant as that of a robot?

"A deep, train? I can't say I understand what that means, but I'll assume it complies with the regards for my thoughts....I'll share a little insight with you, in hopes that you might do the same, yes? I like to learn, even if such information is of little significant value. Not implying that I don't care to value knowledge about you, of course, just saying in general." As it may have been made clear now, Esper was terrible at deciphering sarcasm, and even worse when applying metaphors to their meanings. They seemed to just fly right over her head, putting awkward distance between her and whoever she might be conversing with. 

"Ahem. Okay, so for starters, my name is Esper, and I'm a new player, yet still familiar with this world in some factors. I've read about it on all fronts, gathering the knowledge I needed for the launch date. Uh, as for my virtues, I love to, ehm, know things. The more I know, the easier it is to make decisions where they really matter. I also like Egyptian cultures, and American soap operas..."

Esper tapped her fingers against the table again, her eyes never settling on one thing for too long. She felt antsy for some reason, on edge, with heightened awareness not necessary in such a location, and she couldn't understand why. It was the conversation, she assumed, since she was fine before it. Alas, it was a conversation she wished now to continue, what for reasons of knowledge, opportunity, and maybe even friendship, should fate allow it. But that was a step in the distance for now.

Edited by Esper

The words that came out from the white-haired girl’s mouth were words of wisdom. There was no doubt from what she heard so far that the girl was smart, intelligent either. The word, “smart” might not be enough to describe her. Already, Kasier knew that the woman was an intelligent woman, a wise one as well. This only perked Kasier’s interest. For a while now, she had been truly bored of this world. This truly was a boring virtual prison in which the players are restricted. What is there truly to do in this game? Every day, there is the same routine. She would wake up; go out to the fields and material gather. When night falls, she would return and sleep, only to wake up and do the same thing the next morning.

But here, she knew exactly what she would do for the rest of the morning, possibly even the rest of the day. This person was possibly the most intriguing person that she had met, no… seen in this game. Although she looked young, Kasier didn’t know for sure, especially from the way that the dark-skinned girl talked, she didn’t know what to think of the girl. Who was she? Why is she here? There are so many different questions that needed to be answered and the girl with an introduction had answered some of them.

She rolled her eyes, however, when she realized that Esper had failed to pick up on her sarcasm at all. With a sigh, she decided that it would only be right for her to introduce herself. “Alright. My name is Kasier… I think as a person, I’m kind but mature at the same time. I can make a few jokes here and there and, well, I am brave… Brave enough to stand before a player killer who could simply stab me and kill me. I think this world is pretty boring so I am always looking for things to entertain me.” Kasier said.

Standing in front of someone, capable of murder...that is brave. I wonder if I could be that way too. I've never been in a situation like that before. It must be exhilarating. "Kasier, then. That's a unique name, I think. And while standing before a killer sounds foolish, it does require courage to stand up to them. I don't think I compare, not yet, that is." This was the truth. Esper had never come across a player killer so early in the game, and by the means provided by Kayaba, this was a real world with real deaths, and that effectively made player killers instead, murderers. What's more, they perhaps live behind the thought that these no harm in it, as it was in fact a game. Not taking it seriously in terms of their actions was devastating, past their point of reasoning. It angered her inside. To know that people could be at risk of dying for the cost of someone else's enjoyment. "But I wouldn't let someone die, not under any circumstances, especially murder. But that begs the question... What if a player killer was only defending himself? How would one know? I would assume that a logical sense of safety would put distance between reasoning, so if it were not at the fault of the defending player, would he be penalized regardless?"

Kasier smiled when the girl asked a question that she wasn’t really sure was directed at her. The question was a very philosophical one, just like what Kasier expected coming from a girl like Esper. The question brought her back in memories just a couple of days ago when she thought of the exact same question in her bed. She remembered lying there under the moonlight, which shone through her window. Her bed crumbled under her skinny weight and her bed sheets; she had already kicked off because of the hot summer heat. Her hair had been scattered around but she didn’t mind. She was wandering whether most player killers kill for their own insane thoughts, or perhaps they kill for a greater good. But then, Kasier finally reached a solution that she carried into her dreams.

“Esper, considering the fact that you are quite new to the system of this game, let me tell you one thing and be sure to remember this game for the rest of your time here. You might die and you might live… But everything rests on your own personal luck. Everything in this game is determined by luck whether you hit or miss a mob, whether you get hit or dodge an attack. Everything is luck based.” Kasier said, her red amber eyes staring, “The fact that you kill someone who had tried to attack you simply means you have bad luck. Too bad for you… If you kill someone, no matter why you did so, you must pay the price for being a criminal within this game.”

Kasier said, it was her turn to stare out of the window now. Player killers in the past have all been very strong players. However, most of them had already died, and there was one in particular that people feared across the land. Perhaps one day, one day Kasier might become someone feared by the population of Aincrad as well

Esper nodded silently, her eyes tracing the wood grain on the table before them. Somehow, she understood what she was saying about the PK rules. I mean, it was practically the same as it was in the real world, depending on evidence. Here, the only evidence one has is a witness, and sometimes someone's words fail to sway an audiences opinion. Sometimes, the orange crystal is all they care about. "I think I understand now. This is a game of luck, and fortune. Which also means that bad luck will kill you. It's a little different, but somewhat the same in terms of real world living. But we aren't real right now, are we? Just virtual..." She broke off from other questions she was itching to ask, and instead nodded once more, her red eyes glinting in the sunlight. 

A few minutes of silence ensued, to which Esper kept her eyes lowered on her hands, which she began to move, her fingers shifting to her whim. She couldn't really think of anything else to say, and she felt pressure against her chest, a feeling usually dealt when depression was present. It didn't seem to affect her on the outside though, she only appeared blank and absentminded. Her thoughts, again, seized control. .....This world, it's harsher than I thought. But it's nothing different from the real one, is it? People still die, murderers still lurk, and tragedies still happen. It's a game of survival, survival of the fittest, and strongest. What will I be...?

Coldly, the dark skinned girl spoke, her voice in a soft, but audible whisper. "People can't die like that, it's not fair...." Her hands had closed into fists, but she kept them there, still and motionless. Her hair dangled as she bent her head slightly, blocking the view of her face. "It's not fair." She whispered a last time, herself being the only one hearing it. Was she going to break down, here?

Kasier watched, as the girl seemed to have changed in a way. She spoke in a more softly manner having heard what she had said. She had pretended to be part of a Player Killer guild in order to teach Mossino, a guild member – well, soon to be anyway – a lesson regarding the cruelty of the world. Kasier had seen way too many deaths already. Her friends whom she had entered the death with had all died from a simple boar. Sure, the boar had been powerful but it should’ve never killed a player. They were unlucky, and hence, they die. It was like that; everything in this world was like that.

“But that is how the world is. Which is why most people die at a very low level because that is when luck matters most. If you survive past the lower leveled parts of the game, then you will most likely survive but in the past, that has been proven wrong… Especially with player killing.” Kasier said, her red ambers filled with sorrow and sadness as she watched the girl’s emotions suddenly change. From her first viewing, Kasier had never thought that Esper would be an emotional person. Kasier too, would’ve perhaps been sad, and maybe even cried at the hearing of Player killing but now, she had grown up and realized the reality… Or at least, what she thought was the reality.

“Heck, if the game creator decides to nuke the world, then we all die and all our work is put into the grave. So enjoy yourself while you still can and have some fun while playing this game.” Kasier said, “Do things that you can’t do in real life without harming anyone… because in this game, freedom is both restricted, and open.” She finished, grabbing the menu once more and offering it to her. “And that includes eating all that you can because the food in this game is delicious.”

Though trapped in this depressing way of thought, Esper's attention was always available during her concentration. And thus, every word was taken and evaluated, and by the end of the girl's point, she really couldn't be upset. She seemed to spark her optimistic side with the speech, and with this, she lifted her head, a strange smile lined across her face. "Is that so...?" Possibly the most common three word response from Esper. Still, her emotions were brighter now, and a contented feeling seemed to overpower the others. "I guess it's easier to go on when you think like that. If I convince myself that everything I had in the real world is gone, then I'm forced to recognize this as the world I have to rebuild myself in. It makes sense!" 

Esper, with her thoughts now reworked, accepted the menu again, nodding her head once in a bow like manner. "Thanks for this. I promise to settle this debt in the future." Panning through the pages of the pamphlet, Es' eyes rested on an item that described an espresso, her favorite drink, more or less. "Would it be alright to get this one?" She would ask, twirling the menu around with her fingers, revealing the spot in which it was located with her other hand.

Kasier’s smile grew wide in response to the Esper’s emotional change. The girl’s emotion’s changed quite severely and easily from what she could tell so far. But from what she sees, she knew deep inside that there were still so many things hidden inside the girl’s brain and mind, simply waiting for her to unlock and discover. It excited her and she was pleased with what the day was looking like so far. She finally had someone that might not bore her with their standard views on the world and not many people in this world that she had met could meet the same requirements that the girl meets.

“Yup, that’s fine.” Kasier said, suddenly realizing that she hadn’t eaten a single bit of her food ever since talking to the girl. With a smile, she motioned for the waitress to come over and informed her that Esper would like an espresso. After doing so, she sighed and began to nibble on her food once more, slowly chewing away on the bagel. The pudding no longer looked as appealing as it had a few minutes ago, it had been overshadowed by the personality of the intelligent woman that she was talking to at the moment. “By the way do you have any plans for the rest of the day?”

Kasier’s red amber eyes once more looked around the room. Her eyes nearly never stayed in one place, always keen to observe the area and surroundings. Kasier knew that the white-haired girl was smart, but how smart? Was she intelligent to an unbelievable degree, or was she just a pretend? She didn’t know, and she was willing to invest some time to finding it out. If she liked her, then she might even invite her to join the new guild that her and a few friends are planning to create.

"I don't have any plans for today. Or rather, I do, I just haven't quite begun anything yet, not within the means of my goal. That's why I came here in the first place. I was trying to find a quiet place to sort out my decisions. I was...I was going to try to gather materials. Only, I don't know quite how." Esper ended her response now, her elbows meeting the table softly, before she slumped a bit, her hands now being used to keep her head up, nestles comfortably against her jawline. Her brows furrowed a little, forming just the slightest frown as she sat in silence, her lip curling just barely. "I'm brand new, so everything comes as unknown experience. Reading only does so much, which separates the differences, thus giving them the term, different. I'll figure it out though, with a little time. You've already helped me quite a bit, and for that I'm incredibly grateful. But, could I ask for just one more favor? If otherwise, please disregard my asking." 

Esper waited for her response, whilst also keeping in mind that she couldn't leave just yet. She wanted to get out and start gathering in the early morning, but it seemed as of now that it wasn't going to happen. She didn't mind though, as she hardly knew how to yet. If this girl were to help her, however, it would've been time well spent. Oh, and her tummy did note to remind her of its hunger, which the espresso was bound to satiate. 

With a large gulp, Kasier finished off the remainder of the food that rested on her table. Indeed, she had satisfied herself and the food would probably allow her to be not hungry for the remainder of the morning. She had found that the food here lasted quite a while and each time, it had proven to be true. Perhaps she’ll come here every morning and have some food so she may be energized for the rest of the morning. Plus, the food here was quite good as well, good enough that she would eat here often. With a nod, she made the decision before calling the waitress over so she can clean the plates and Kasier would pay the bills for both of the players.

It was then that Kasier had been asked if she would mind helping the newer player out with something. Obviously, the player wouldn’t know what she was doing. When Kasier first entered the game, she had been the same, completely clueless to the basics of leveling up and completely oblivious to what the best way of improving is. Upon Kayaba’s announcement, she had sworn that she would help every player that needed her help and try her hardest to allow the players to escape this virtual prison that so annoyed Kasier.

“Help? Help with material gathering? Or something else? Well, I wouldn’t mind helping. It’s not like there’s anything else in this world of Aincrad that can entertain me at the moment.” Kasier said, her eyes drifting to the window once more before looking back. In fact, she would love to help the player out. The player was perhaps the most interesting thing that she had seen since the beginning of the game when she had been so captured by the game’s scenery. Now, despite how much she enjoyed, it really didn’t hold value in Kasier’s heart.

"Yes, material gathering is what I've been thinking on, but I haven't quite tried it yet. See, I haven't left the capital walls but once or twice, and I dared not go near mobs without knowing my own capabilities. That's why I'm better with teammates. And in all of the previous games that I've played, or most, I've taken the role of Tank. It's held my greatest experiences during a battle, and the most action too. It's been a while since I've played a game like this though. And, well, even then, I've never played anything quite like this. This kind of virtual reality, I mean. No, this is complex, and meticulously crafted. It's almost impossible to imagine that Kayaba could manage this even in his lifetime, or lifespan, for that matter. There's so much content....I'm getting off the subject here, but yes, I would like to gather materials with you, if that's alright! I know I'm not strong or anything, but I will be. I'll try not to slow you down, either."

Eventually, Esper's espresso would arrive, much to her enjoyment. She sipped on the thick drink, shuddering at the bitter taste it gave off. A short, queasy smile traced her lips as she set it down, and pushed a strand of area hair behind her ear. "Tastes just like espresso. It's super strong. I'm not sure why I torture my tongue with it. It's become an addiction, I suppose."

“Ok, I wouldn’t mind a bit of material gathering for the remainder of the day. Like I said, I would definitely like to help you as well as benefit from a material gathering session as well.” Kasier began, nodding as the waitress finally took away the plates that had small pieces of leftover pudding and bagel pieces that she had yet to finish. With a sigh, she looked back before speaking once more, “Ohm, before we go material gathering, there’s a few things that you should probably know. First, let’s talk about how to material gather. There are two types of ways that you can material gather. One of which is to kill mobs in order to receive materials. This is, of course, the quicker way because you can kill multiple mobs at once. However, there is a risk with this method because you may die to boars if you aren’t ready. Second, is to gather materials through non-combat. Which means you go around and grab resources that you see. This is a hard process but it’s a good way to get materials for gear for lower-leveled player.” Kasier explained, not sure whether the girl in front of her already knows this.

“Me, as a healer, I really can’t fight anything. I literally have no damage and my healing at the moment isn’t that consistent. So we’re going to have to go and complete non-combat material gathering.” Kasier said looking around and wondering if she should order another food item before they went out so she can last longer without having to take a food break again. In this world, one doesn’t gain weight so she would eat as much as she possibly can while her time in this world remained. “If you are planning to become a tank, then I know a frontline tank called Xion. Perhaps one day I can introduce you to him and he might be able to tell you a bit about tanking. I wouldn’t expect him to train you though so if you want a trainer, you’re going to have to look elsewhere. Oh, also, coffee addiction isn’t that rare… I have a bit of that as well.”

"Xion? A frontline tank..." Frontlines. This guy must be really high up. I'd be intimidated if I knew how to be. But with a title like that, meeting him would be one of a kind, like getting an autograph from a famous celebrity...or a fleet admiral. Yikes. "I'd love to meet him, should the opportunity come. But until then, I'm all for non-combatant material gathering. I need everything I can get my hands on, I'm not worried about the difficulty. You could call me desperate. So where do we start, exactly? Is there a certain spot that you might prefer, or recommend? Or do we merely need to search around?" While she awaited her response, Esper sipped the espresso again, making yet another bitter expression, her brows slanting in distaste. That aside, her mind was much less hellbent on organizing thoughts, and more lax, and steady. If she was going to be mentored for this little while, then she was aware that she had to pay attention, and execute the steps provided with care. To do any less could result in failure. It was luck, and nothing but, anyways, but it hardly left room for fooling around in the process.