How should I start?

New guy here, and trying to work out the best way to start. Should I just SP to get to a higher level to reach the same point as everyone else, or should I be looking for someone else to help me get started?

Also as someone who wants to get a katana at some point for the character, I've invested the points required into the curved sword, should I wait a few floors before getting a katana or work towards getting one early doors?

Thanks in advance! If there is a better place to be posting questions like this would be glad to know where I should instead be posting.

First, welcome to the site. 

As someone who has been here for almost a year I'll advise you not to do anything combat related in a solo thread until you have some levels cause there's a pretty high chance you'll die. When you first start out it's best to stick to non combat threads or be carried by high level players through fights. 

As far as your weapons go that's up to you and how you want to develop your character's story. Otherwise I don't think there's anything stopping you from picking up the katana skill in a thread where you acquire it.

Edited by Seul

Thanks there Seul, and yeah I did think about that since in the combat tutorial it did mention that its quite easy to get killed by a boar the moment you start so thought that might be a bit dangerous. Ah okay will look around for public threads/OPs to appear in for them levels. By the way is it assumed that the character is already there from the beginning [as in on the first floor] or should there be a post about logging in first?

A'ight, will do it when it seems natural then.

Fair play, I'll go with the latter then. Feeling like its a bit late for the log in post for myself.

That sounds good to me, I'm down for that. :D Since I'm a newb, should I start the post to get used to it or do you want to do it to show me the ropes? That or we could start in the starting city I think, up to you my personally appointed master. :)