[PP-F3] Dark Elves Must Die <<Worn Out Welcome>> (Domarus)

He knew the quest well enough by now. Arc waited next to the forge where Domarus was to meet him reclined leisurely against the wall. The other man was still a beginner for all intents and purposes, and this quest offered some difficulty, but the armor would be an excellent addition to the man's list of achievements. Not to mention that it would help keep him alive. Arc glanced up every so often at his inventory and various other menu options, letting the HUD cycle through them at random. "I hope this thing dies quicker this time around," he muttered to himself. "Last time I felt like I was getting nowhere fast."

The Dark Elf wasn't exactly formidable- maybe to a beginner- but not to someone with any modicum of actual skill. Arc had to wonder how far he had come since the first encounter. Had he improved at all? Was he deluding himself to think it was possible? All these questions fell behind the one that sat at the forefront of his mind. Where the hell is he? I'm starting to get antsy. I want to cut that Elf up again for target practice.

Arc paused, then laughed. If nothing else, his attitude toward things in Aincrad had drastically improved. Instead of beating himself up about things, he was learning to channel his emotions for more productive things. He was helping others, and in turn he was learning to do things the right way. A mercenary needed to be more open than closed. That was the best way to get people to come to you for things. That was the way to get paid, and to get stronger.

After all, that was the real goal. Aincrad's strongest. The Last Black Brother felt his chest feel with a certain pride when he thought about it. Now he just had to make it a reality.

Domarus walked out of the town of beginnings at last, his servant Keres walking close beside him.  Keres had no ability to fight at all but she had plenty of other uses.  One of her main uses was being someone Domarus could vent on when he was pissed.  This worked out since she enjoyed pain and therefore received pleasure out of his beatings.  Not only that but she provided mild amusement at times.  Plus she was really his only friend at all.  His black two handed battle ax hung on his back, ready to be drawn and decimate his enemies.  With his new sword power flowed through him and he was eager to test it out.  He wondered if there was a skill other than weapon skills that increased damage.  If there was he'd do anything to get his hands on it.  As it was he needed to level up either way so he was pleased that Arc had accepted his request to do this quest with him.  As he walked to the agreed meeting place he heard Keres speak up.

"Do you think he'll punish me too master?"  She asked with a smirk.  Domarus shook his head and gave her a signal to shut up, and she did so.  As they turned around the corner and arrived at the area she rushed up and wrapped her arms around his left, pulling them close to her.  He would have struck her for this but he was in front of Arc's watchful eyes now and he couldn't risk it.  He grinned at Arc and waved.

"Sorry I'm late!  I had to drag this thing with me.  She won't get in our way though I promise you that."  Domarus would beat her up whether it was through words or physically.  What he also knew was she enjoyed it either way and smiled gently as she held on while following his quick pace.  Domarus reached Arc.

"So what exactly do we have to do?"

"First, you'll talk to the blacksmith inside," he instructed without the pretense of a proper introduction. Generally, he would have objected to a player who looked so woefully unprepared coming along for the ride, but the girl seemed attached to Domarus. He doubted that she would consent to being left behind even if he demanded it of her. Part of him wondered what the point of it was, but he didn't mention it aloud. "Once you do that, he'll prompt you to take on the quest in exchange for a set of armor that he'll craft for your himself."

He stretched his arms. "I can wait for you here, since I've heard the whole song and dance before. It'll take us out into one of the further groves and we'll have to fight a Dark Elf, who's not really all that strong, but he's a real underhanded sucker. Uses a paralytic when he starts getting low on health that'll do for a weaker player if they're unprepared for the scrap."

His eyes floated toward the tagalong. "If she doesn't plan on fighting, it might be better if she stays behind," he told Domarus. "The mobs on the third floor aren't the weak boars you've fought below. They have more vicious algorithms and attack unpredictably. They'll punish someone who hasn't made the proper preparations."

Arc looked down at his own cloak. "But the payout is worth the risk, since armor is so hard to come by at this level."

Domarus grinned as Arc skipped formalities and jumped straight into the facts.  He liked that.  Domarus wished he could just skip the foolish blacksmith's little chat but there wasn't anything he could do about that.  When he told him that Keres should probably stay behind she frowned with an eyebrow raised and crossed her arms.  Before she could make a sarcastic comment Domarus turned around, his face hidden from Arc, and gave her a deadly look with his eyes.  She saw this and stuck her tongue at him before submitting.  She would pay for her attitude he thought.  No meals and a full on beating ought to do the trick.  He had told her to act up slightly, not overboard.  He turned to Arc.

"She'll stay at the blacksmith while we do the quest.  I'll go ahead and talk with the guy."  As Domarus and Keres walked in he noticed that nobody was in view, including Arc, and smacked her hard on the back of the head, sending her forward.

"You'll be getting more than that tonight fool."  

"Yes master," she said with a pleased smile on her face.  After this the blacksmith entered the room and gave them a smile.

"Welcome player!  How can I he-"

"Heavy metal armor."  he said bluntly.  The npc's expression didn't change and he nodded happily, beginning his little story about what he needs and where to find it.  Domarus noticed that he didn't bother telling him that he had to fight anything to get it and shrugged as Arc had already told him.  He'd need to be careful in the future though.  As he walked away he pushed Keres into the seat and exited the door.  He looked at Arc with a smile.

"Alright let's get this done shall we?"

"Let's," he agreed. It was good to see someone as enthused as Domarus about getting stronger. That was the right attitude. He couldn't be sure, but something about the relationship between the man and the woman seemed different. He supposed it would be impolite to ask, so he did not. That wasn't his business. "Let's see," Arc muttered to himself. "If I remember, that quest takes us out to the furthest grove on the floor..." He glanced back to Domarus behind him. "Does your minimap have a quest indicator in this direction?" he asked, hoping that he was remembering things correctly.

Levantine hung at his back as his hood was down, revealing the dark hair and trademark green eyes that marked him as Tobias, even if no one else knew him. His smile was soft and pleasant, belying the vicious combat style that he brought with him into every battle. With his tenacity and rage, he would assure that none of his friends were every hurt- and anyone else, if it could be helped.

He watched Domarus for a moment as they walked, thoughtful. I suppose I don't really know anything about this guy. Then again, I don't need to, do I? He's a new player and he needs help. This is what I do. I've never asked for details before, so I shouldn't start now.

"What kind of armor were you thinking?" he asked, not impolitely. It made sense to ask. It dealt with the skills and such that this player intended to take on.

Domarus listened as Arc talked about the quest's location and Domarus checked his minimap and nodded in confirmation.  As he looked at the map he recalled the player Jonathan had told him about a friend of his who was a scout.  As Domarus looked at the map's uncharted sections he realized just how useful a scout could be, not only for acting as an informat or material gathering, but completely scanning the map and revealing every short cut, sub dungeon and so forth.  Scouts were very useful in the long run and for leveling he realized.  He needed to get one.  Perhaps the girl Alisa was interested in becoming a scout.  Seeing as he intended for her to become a general.  He wanted three generals:  A damage dealer, damage taker, and supporter.  However he didn't mind having four generals.  Obviously Arc qualified as the perfect general and that was what Domarus was shooting for.  He heard Arc ask a question about his armor and he replied without hesitation.

"Heavy.  I want the strongest armor this game can provide.  I want to deal more damage than anything else of course, but at the same time take more hits than anyone else."  Domarus had been seeking out something that nobody else could receive.  Something that only he could use but so far he came up empty handed.  It didn't matter though, it was early and not much time had passed as of yet.  He had time.  As they walked he debated with himself as to whether or not he should ask the man Arc questions about himself.  However he decided that would be rushing it.  He needed time to get Arc to not only fully trust him, but befriend him, come onto his good side.  Once that happened perhaps they could ask each other questions.  For now it seemed Arc was only intending to get stronger and that suited Domarus just fine.

Arc nodded intently. "The big thing about armor and weapons is that you can decide to favor one or the other, or find a happy medium. There are a few players who've considered the path you're talking about-" he scratched his chin as he considered the bruiser build that several players spoke about the last time he was drinking in an inn. "I figure that you can take a lot more damage than the average DPS player, but you'll fall short when it comes to trying to tank. The designated defenders have unreal armor and boosts to their ability to maintain a stalwart defense." He recalled watching Calrex fight, the man who was one of the Frontliners' primary tanks. It was definitely something to factor in this discussion.

"That doesn't mean you can't do your own thing, of course. Whatever feels right for you." He opened his menu and turned so that the man could see his points allotment. "If you put more points into an armor skill," he explained, "it gives you a passive bonus to your damage mitigation. That way you don't have to depend so much on the armor's quality or bonuses, because you already get defense just from wearing it. You should probably throw something into the heavy armor skill at some point. I threw plenty into my light armor early, to help with taking damage from the lower floor mobs. They don't seem like much, but you get too many at once, and..."

The merc made a gesture that insinuated death.

"Either way, we ought to be going the right direction," he added after a brief pause. He let his words sink in a bit.

Domarus listened to Arc go on about armor types and how players could go any route but he wouldn't be able to fully tank.  Domarus shrugged.  The extra armor was just that.  An extra.  In short he wanted to deal the most damage in this game as well as be able to take hits without being knocked out in a single blow.  He felt like winning a fight by simply taking the minimum damage took the fun out of it but was something to be aware of.  If he could be the strongest damage dealer in Aincrad logic only stated that there would be someone who could take the most damage.  He wished he knew who this player was as he or she might be a very valuable member to his plans.  He listened as Arc suggested choosing to invest in heavy armor skill and while his reasons were sound Domarus figured he'd rather start with maximizing his damage first.

"I'd like to maximize my damage before working on mitigation.  However I may take your advice and take on the skill sometime soon.  Maybe.  That's the whole reason I want this gear is so that I can handle taking on mobs down hear.  From what I hear they all deal ten damage max besides bosses, and with equipment that reduces that to one I shouldn't need the skill yet.  That way I can focus on maximizing my two handed battle ax skill and increasing my damage as high as I can."  He once again wondered if there was some sort of weapon or skill that was different from every other that Domarus could get his hands on that would make him the most strongest damage dealer of all time.  He definitely hoped so.  Not only would that help further his goals but it would make him extremely important to the front lines as well as virtually invincible.  He heard Arc say they were heading in the right direction and grinned.  He was eager to slay something besides a boar at long last.

"Of course," he replied, "whatever suits you best."

Arc considered his words about the average damage from mobs, and he chuckled to himself. That wasn't necessarily the case. In reality, these things fluctuated between low difficulty and high, and depending on where you ended up, they could be much, much worse. He kept them clear of any path that might take them toward something like that, of course. There were things in the forest of the third floor best left undisturbed. He was uncertain that, if perturbed, he could manage to protect Domarus from them.

"At least you're taking your armor situation seriously," Arc added. "There are a great many players who don't, and they wind up with problems that put them at death's door."

When he mentioned the armor specific to this quest, Arc corrected him. "It's only beginner armor," he cautioned, "don't put too much stock in what it will afford you in terms of protection." He considered what a stronger mob might do, and he added: "that said, if you're not the tank, you shouldn't have to worry about anything but AoEs and attacks that don't factor aggro. It still ought to give you an edge surviving in those situations."

The grove was no far now, and Arc stopped for a moment. "The Dark Elf ought to be just over yonder," he told the man. "I'll take point."

Domarus listened as Arc seemed satisfied with his choice and complimented him on being serious with his armor.  He then reminded Domarus that this armor would be starter armor and Domarus nodded, already knowing this.  It wasn't going to be maxed out armor but if the monsters on this floor only dealt ten damage than he wouldn't have a problem so long as he remained on this floor.  Except maybe the mini bosses of course.  That would always be a problem.  He heard Arc mention that he only had to worry about AoE attacks if he wasn't going tank.  AoE huh?  That was widespread damage, done to multiple targets.  He noticed that his sword arts were either single strike or AoE strikes.  His strongest sword art seemed to be an AoE attack so he'd need to take that into account.

"Got it.  Thanks.  Is a two handed battle ax the greatest damage dealing weapon in this game or is it second best?  I assumed it would be the strongest and I still hope it is."  Arc told him that they were getting pretty close and that he would be in front.  Domarus nodded as it only made sense.  Arc would tank and he would strike.  Domarus pulled out Vindicem, his black two handed battle ax that pulsed a dark red glow from the blade, cruelly shaped and seeming to be eager to destroy all in it's path.  The ax held a sort of power to it, as if just holding it filled him up with a supreme and supernatural strength that no other weapon could.  He was eager to purchase a set of armor that matched it's cruelty and intimidation.  A black set that pulsed dark red of it's own accord too.  After that he would most likely be an Artisan and be able to make his own equipment with boosts.  Most likely accuracy boosts as he didn't really have need of anything else.  Not only that but he could create thousands of pieces as well as give others tattoos in order to rack up col which he needed desperately.  Perhaps he should act as a mercenary for a temporary time just for the sake of gathering col.  He wasn't sure if it was the best move for his reputation but it might work.  At last resort he might have to ask a powerful player if he could borrow some col.  He didn't want to stoop so low but if he had no other choice he would do so.

"From what I've heard around the forum," he mentioned the meeting place where lower level players went to talk about their builds and discuss various methods of garnering strength. "It's meant for dealing with multiple mobs at once. You might not do as much damage up front to a single target as I do, but you'll be able to do for a few mobs at once when you get stronger." Arc liked the idea of being a main target DPS in boss raids, and when soloing. It was what he did in other games, and it felt natural on Aincrad. "In all honesty, it really depends on what you're looking for. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to worry about tons of things at once. Single target is straightforward."

When he saw Domarus' new weapon, the mercenary gave it a quick lookover. "That's a nice looking weapon," he commented. "Looks like you've been doing pretty well for yourself, then."

Whatever Domarus had been doing up til now, he had found a means to equip himself with slightly better gear. That was good, since the first time they'd met the man had been only level one, and almost flattened by a boar. It was good to see him growing. That would help keep him alive. "What have you been doing for money?" he asked absently. If the low level player was able to buy a weapon like that, it wasn't unlikely that he'd picked up some sort of farming strategy.

Arc never had the inclination, but it was worth asking about.

Domarus listened to Arc speak and was curious to hear that his skills would be directed more towards fighting multiple foes at once.  Perhaps he could pick up a second skill so he could switch between single target and multiple targets.  That way he could have the best of both.  Of course it would mean giving up another skill but he had twelve slots and he wanted to be completely battle orientated.  And as of right now having a skill to take down multiple foes might be a good start.  He was too weak a level to solo anything anyways so he could deal the overall damage to all monsters.  He grinned at the thought.  

"Interesting, interesting.  Perhaps I might pick up a great sword skill after grand mastering the two handed ax.  That way I could use whatever is required for fights.  After all, single target attacks would be better suited for player duels would they not?  Either that or focusing on the boss."  He listened now as Arc complimented on his weapon and he grinned.

"I think I earned half the col for this while another player had given me a good amount to start off.  Honestly from what you've been saying I think I might try selling the armor from this quest and ordering a suit of armor with more enhancements.  Macrodon's discount is a very useful way to gain customers.  Maybe I'll try that.  I don't like the thought of cutting my prices though.  How much does a mercenary get on a daily basis?  I may go that route for a little bit until I have enough col for my own personal goal."  Domarus heard how players would save up col for buying houses, or use it to purchase gear.  However he heard another use of it and was saving up for that purpose alone.  However in order to achieve it he needed to gather hoards of col extremely quickly so that he could reach his target before anyone else.  Any way he could get col.  Fighting monsters, manipulating it out of other's pockets, his shop.  Any way to get col he would need to do so.  It was a necessity and he would reach his goal one way or another.

"Right now of course I'm just trying to train with other player until I get strong enough to solo these mobs like yourself.  Soon as I do though I'll be mob grinding, selling items, and if it's worth it, play mercenary for a bit until I meet the deadline."

"You get to set your own prices," Arc explained. "There's dire need on the lower floors, what with weak players who want to get stronger but can't handle mobs. The few of us who care enough to do the work get to set our own rates, and prices are driven down by competition-" he glanced toward Domarus and made a circular notion with his hand. "Pure capitalism, see. There's a commodity, and we provide it. In essence, it's more lucrative than any of the actual professions, but it takes time. That's the only real opportunity cost."

He scratched his chin. "Generally I can charge around 300 to 500 Col, 1000 for a harder quest. Some days I get more work than others." He shrugged. "If all you're looking to do is get a bit of cash quick, it's a nice side job."

He had never heard of Macrodon, but the idea of a newbie discount was genius. Arc nodded a few times and spoke. "Whatever you can do to get geared, it works. That all sounds like a fine idea to me."

He gestured to the blade at his back. "And if you ever need to practice the two hander, I can spare a lesson or two."

His eyes returned to the grove where their quarry awaited.

Domarus thought about what Arc had just said.  He figured that he'd go along with his new friend's pricing methods and set up flyers so he could start as soon as he had stronger equipment.  Once he became an Artisan he didn't need to worry about purchasing anything in that area.  All he'd need to do was get this armor, collect a few more materials, buy better armor and craft himself a suitable ring and he'd be all set.  The combination of mob grinding, quest completing, shop sales and being a mercenary should get him plenty of col.  However if even that didn't help him reach the required amount in time he would need to manipulate others to lend him enough to get the rest before it came out.  Then Arc told him that he was open to teach him with the longsword whenever he was ready and he nodded in response.

"After I grandmaster my ax skills you'll be the first to know."  He turned into the grove they had just entered and saw the Dark elf.  He stood in the middle of the grove, his back to the players with a sword at his side.  The dark elf didn't seem to have much strong armor whatsoever, rather wore robes that made him look more important than he actually was.  As they approached the elf heard them and turned around, his eyes narrowing.

"And for what reason do you peasants intrude in my grove?"  Domarus turned to Arc with a look that blatantly said 'you're kidding me?'  Domarus didn't waste words and charged the unsuspecting Dark elf.  As he charged, his black blade began to pulse with not only the dark red glow of his blade, but was now covered in a black aura as he charged his sword art.  While the npc was shocked that someone would just rush up and attempt an assassination like this, he was prepared and pulled his sword out and held it out like a spear.  Brave but foolish Domarus thought.  While his body moved into the blade, receiving minimal damage, he released the sword art, striking sideways and the twelve point of damage attack, plus the shockwave that followed, created a small explosion, the tiny crystals being thrown incredibly far.  After the attack Domarus looked around and turned to Arc all bored like.

"Is that it?"

ID#  67896  BD:  6  MD:  6

Domarus:  51/60  -><-  4/6

Dark Elf:  0/12  <6 base - whirlwind = 12 dmg>

Edited by Domarus

"Well lookit that," Arc muttered as Domarus cleaved the Dark Elf in twain, and the remnants splattered across the floor and evaporated into their surroundings. "Looks like you've got a bit stronger since last I saw you," he praised. 

There had been no need for him to rush in first and take aggro, but then, this mob had hardly been all that difficult during his first run. He didn't imagine it would be any harder the second time he encountered it.

"Welp, now all we have to do is go back and get your armor crafted," he told the axeman. "Congratulations, albeit a bit prematurely."

He turned about and gestured in the direction they had come from. "Sort of anticlimactic, wasn't it?"

Domarus sheathed his blade with a grunt as Arc talked about it being anti climatic.  Better believe it.  That was the most boring thing that had ever happened to him.  Barely any damage done and killed with one strike.  No danger or challenge at all.  Still, Arc seemed satisfied at his progress and he nodded with a grin.

"You didn't think I was going to sit by and watch others get strong did you?  I intend to the the most powerful damage dealer in Aincrad one day and nothing's gonna stop us."  Domarus used the word us rather than me to incline something.  Partnership.  The more he thought about it the more he liked the idea.  If Arc accepted that is.  Mercs looking out for each other, helping each other to grow stronger.  Not only would they both progress quickly but it would give Domarus more opportunity to have Arc's help as well as give him more opportunity to learn more about Arc and plan how to sway him over.  Until then they could be known as the strongest mercenaries in Aincrad.  After Domarus gained power and had Arc as a general things would be different of course but Arc would essentially have the freedom to do what he wanted.  He wasn't one to have an iron grip over others after all.

"Yeah I'd like to get that armor.  I'd hate to have to depend on others all the time.  Teaming up for strong quests is understandable but for mob grinding?  Come on."  And with that the two turned around and began walking back to the blacksmith.  As soon as he had his armor he would begin his level grinding and he would not stop until he was powerful and rich.  Never in a million years would he give up.  With his level grinding he hoped to achieve decent amount of col.  He turned to Arc.

"You have any plans besides becoming strong?"

Strongest damage dealer in Aincrad.

Arc spared a long look at the other man, but what he gazed upon was a mountain. So many aspired to climb to the peak, to become the best, to stand above all others, yet the journey upward was perilous. To stand at the bottom and look up was to understand the difficulty ahead. To climb was to risk death for a greatness that one day would mean nothing, but until that day came, everything.

Other players often said that they sought to become the best ____, or that they wanted to make it to the Frontlines and fight. Arc saw Domarus' growth and acknowledged it, but he wondered if the man truly understood the severity of his words. What he would have to sacrifice for it, and how many rivals he would have- the very essence of that claim was competition, such that it drove the damage dealers to blows at times.

Arc himself walked that path. He said it knowing full well that he would sweat for long hours and fall to his knees in both triumph and failure. He uttered the words knowing their weight fell heavy on his shoulders each time. 

Then Domarus said the most curious word. Us. For Arc, there had been an 'us,' once. His closest friends, the men of the Black Brotherhood. His best friend, his brother, and a cadre of other misfits he had amassed over years of gaming and drinking.  They were inseparable, but in Aincrad, he had not seen the ghost of any one of them since the first day. Silently, he hoped they were well. He knew the fate of Alkor, but the others remained shrouded in mystery.

"Taken a shining to mercenary work, have you?" he asked the other man as he adjusted the hilt of his blade along his shoulder. "Long road you've got ahead of you, but I wager it'll be fine." Arc checked the minimap again. It never hurt to be careful. 

One thing was for sure. Nothing would stand in the way of his climb to the top of the mountain, and if Domarus walked the same path, Arc would certainly watch with interest. The best warriors always knew their competitors.

The last question made Arc seem like a much quieter man, as his eyes became distant and he found himself deep in thought. "Gonna get home," he replied. "And try the best I can to make sure everyone else makes it, too. Reckon that's all I've got on my mind."

Domarus listened as the man talked about mercenary work and how it was a long road.  He made no comment on the 'us' portion but Domarus didn't expect him to.  He guessed the player would take time to agree to any sort of partnership whatsoever as he seemed to be used to working alone.  Domarus was used to commanding others while keeping everything in order.  Of course he was also used to taking his time to work his way into other's minds and hearts until they were ready to manipulate.  The same would be with Arc, though Domarus didn't expect to need to manipulate him much.  The only thing he reckoned would be persuading him to work for him more than other players.  If it was power he wanted it was power he would receive should he follow Domarus.  He heard Arc tell him that all he wanted was for him and every other player to get out of the game as soon as possible.  Ugh.  So that was it?  No personal goals or desires?  That not only sounded like a boring life but a pointless one.  What about after they got out huh?

"You mean there's nothing you have interest in other than getting strong and getting out?  What happens if you aren't able to achieve strongest?  What happens if we reach the end and 'surprise!  You're really staying for life?'  And what if you get out of this world eh?  Any goals then?"  Domarus refused to believe that this powerful didn't have some other goal hidden beneath that tough guy look.  Someone he cared for.  Something he desired.  Everyone had a drive.  Those without one had no purpose and typically committed suicide.  Not only did Domarus need to avoid that, but he knew this player had something he was hiding.  If he didn't reveal it today that was fine but he would learn the truth eventually.  As he asked his question they were drawing near to the blacksmith's house.  Certainly his servant would be there awaiting to hear how it turned out.

Arc had never considered that Kayaba might have rigged the game so that they would be trapped forever. He seemed to pause when Domarus spoke, then reached into the folds of his cloak and produced a pipe, match, and some tobacco. He quickly set them to a slow burn and inhaled the digital cancer. In this world, such things were a non issue. He could enjoy a vice like smoking without fear of it slowing him down. After a portion of it seeped into his lungs, he blew out a plume of misty gray. "Reckon there ain't much to think about, if that's the case," he replied curtly. "Don't think it'd be easy for them to keep us alive in the real world for long. Think about it. Our bodies would begin to wither from malnutrition, and the life support systems would fill us full of proteins and such meant to prolong and sustain us from the inevitable, but there's only so long that our families could hold out like that. How long before they gave up hope of ever seeing us again? How long before the financial strain got to great, and they pulled the plug, let the battery run out, and we disappeared from Aincrad in a puff of smoke?"

He took another drag, held it, then closed his eyes. As he blew out, the mercenary smiled placidly. He was too comfortable with the prospect of death. It didn't dissuade him from action or speech anymore. He and the reaper were old friends. "Don't get me wrong, some of us might hold out for a good long time. Some families might never give up hope, but then, how long before those people were the only ones left in SAO? How long before that desolate lifestyle destroyed their psyche, and they committed suicide just to be free of this?"

Arc glanced toward Domarus as he blew the smoke out through his nostrils. "We don't have many options in that circumstance. Either we make it out alive, or we die in here. We're already on borrowed time, mate."

The Merc reached up and clapped the man on his shoulder before turning back toward the path. Domarus wanted something from Arc. There was no reason to ask prying questions if he didn't. Esther was the same way. Everyone had an agenda. It just took a bit of time to figure out what that was. Tobias wasn't the sort of man who liked to play to those things, and he disliked getting caught up in them if he could help it. If the money was good, that was another story.

"I've been too busy to think about what I'll do when I get out," he answered honestly. "I don't like to create unrealistic expectations for myself. Might have a beer. Rum, if I'm lucky." He shrugged it off. "I figure everyone ought to have at least ten drinks after this nonsense."

Domarus watched as Arc paused and pulled out a...  Cigarette?  They had those in this game?  He'd need to find out where if that were the case.  He listened to Arc talk about how there would be no point and how their body's would decay, etc. etc.  Domarus wasn't serious when he asked the question, though he was satisfied that the player assumed he was.  It was good to see he wasn't losing his edge.  The player continued on about every way players would die other than pking or death by mob.  Yada yada he thought.  Only a madman would drop everyone in this game just to die, and no madman could invent all this.  If he had his own personal army who was willing to sacrifice so many people then yeah it was possible but Kayaba didn't sound like a madman either.  And if he really was mad and wanted them all dead then he most likely wouldn't have hidden his features when he made the announcement.  There was no point in debating it.  They would get out.  And yet Arc seemed perfectly comfortable with the aspect of death.  Domarus knew however that unless he had a much stronger drive, Arc wouldn't try too hard to survive.  Domarus would need to give him that drive.

"You don't happen to have another one of those do you?"  He asked.  He listened to Arc talk about how he didn't like setting up plans just to let his expectations fall.  So he was the opposite eh?  Domarus didn't set one plan.  He set many hundred for a single goal, and then set three plans for each of those.  He set up the field so there was no possible way things wouldn't go the way he wanted to.  It was a satisfying feeling to see all the pieces fall into place.  He made a gentle smile to his friend.

"I understand.  Thanks for the talk, it's been enlightening.  I guess I'll pick up my gear and head out to start grinding then.  I'll see you some other time I suppose.  I'll catch up to your level soon Arc!  Don't get slack in training!"  He finished with a grin and a wave before walking into the blacksmith.  Keres looked up expectantly and made a sarcastic grin at him.

"So how did it go master?"  

"Progress Keres.  And progress takes time.  Grab my armor.  It's about time we start really leveling."