{PP-F2} The tools to rise -Esther and myself- <<Earning a Living>>

Domarus sighed with relief as he heard Esther's response.  So it wasn't the worst happening right now.  He managed to defuse the situation and keep her as a friend a little longer.  His muscles relaxed, no longer tensed as she told him she didn't want to hear his past right now.  Good.  That was the last thing he wanted to do after this.  He almost never exposed any of his secrets, let alone multiple in one day.  This was a tiring one for both of them.  Maybe this friendship would actually last.  And with this new friend he had no intentions of harming in any way.  Rather the opposite in fact.  When she told him not now he released the tense air he had held.

"Thank you Esther.  Believe it or not this may be as hard for me as it is for you.  And yes I'd like to get my mind off of this as soon as possible...  So if what you said is true would a mountain like area be good for material gathering?"  As they began to walk to a new location, Keres walking behind them, keeping her servant like posture, Domarus turned curiously to Esther.

"Sooo...  What do you do for fun?"  For once in his life Domarus wasn't sure how to start the conversation.  The situation was uncomfortable for both of them and he was never uncomfortable.  He'd need to create a few backups in case this feeing ever arose again.  Domarus was always one to be prepared for any situation but being the arrogant man he was he forgot that this sort of thing might happen.  Thus he'd need to get started on that when he had some time to himself.  And while he knew about Esther's personality he knew nothing about her in general.  So in a sort of 'fair is fair' he decided to start asking about her and get as far away from him in the topic's as possible.

ID#  67875  BD:  9  LD:  5  Figures I'd get this in a searching thread.  Heh heh

OOC- if you want to end the thread before 40 posts I can do so after your next post.  If not just let me know and we can keep going

@Esther

Edited by Domarus
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Im happy to keep going, let's get you your profession)

Domarus seemed to struggle with things like this, opening up to people - talking with honesty and earnest. Esther  didn't have that issue, since she usually just blurted out whatever came to mind, and she was overall be it for better or worse - honest. With herself, and with others. To her, there weren't really things such as secrets or ulterior motives, it was just here, and now.

"I guess an area like that...I think it doesn't overly matter what materials you gain. The way I did it with Lycan, we just collected materials, and took it back to his stall." She laughed awkwardly, recalling the moments that followed. "That, unfortunately - was the first time I realised that potions with negative effects could be made." She shook her head, "I foolishly took one from a stranger, it got really hot..." Her eyes wandered to the path before them - it had become rockier. "I don't remember everything that happened. I think I was trying to rip off everything I was wearing. Then there was...." She furrowed her brow. "I think there was a kiss? But...I was incredibly fevered...I may have been imagining it- I...oh!" Esther had kicked a small rock, seemingly shinier than the rest, she picked it up and inspected it. 

"Here...this looks like some sort of ore, doesn't it?" She handed it to Domarus. "Told ya I'd be useful."

Domarus asked her what she did for fun. "Mmm...honestly, not gaming. Ironic right?" She shifted her gaze upwards. "Stargazing, I love stargazing, and cooking. I like going on adventures...just exploring areas in your own town you haven't been before, finding a hiking trail...seeing new murals...and I love photography, I love chronicling it all - digitally, in those little poloroid snaps...I love it."

ID# 67876     LD:  19 + 3 = 22

Materials: 1

Edited by Esther

Domarus listened as she talked about how it didn't really matter what materials he selected, which sort of contradicted to what she had explained last time about needing particular materials.  He was certain there would be supplies that were suitable to craft with and others that wouldn't be.  And yet he decided to trust her.  Then she talked about a time she gathered materials with another player named Lycan.  Interesting name he thought.  Then his face grew dark as she explained the embarrassing event that she had fallen into with her easy trust.  Pervert.  The beast manipulated her into drinking what he had without even thinking about what the effects would be.

"Remember what I said about how you seem to be easily manipulated?  That's what I mean.  At least try to exercise some level of caution please?  What if someone got a hold of Mari's not so friendly potions and tried to get you to drink them?  What if they made a worse potion?  I always suspect others of treachery in the beginning.  That's one of the reasons I've made it this high.  I'm not saying you can't trust people, but don't trust everyone right off the bat.  Let them reveal their intentions first."  He watched her pick up what seemed like an ore and give it to him.  He took the object and examined it carefully.  Hmm.  It seemed to be a precious material, like silver and gold, except it was...  Almost black.  The black material was beautiful and yet dark in it's own way and he grinned.  This would be a perfect trademark for him.  He and all his followers could have black rings made of this material.  He stored it in his inventory and thanked Esther before listening to her interests.  That's right she liked to stargaze.  From what it sounded like, she would make an excellent scout at some point.  He wasn't a master at it himself but maybe he could find Esther someone who wouldn't mind giving her some pointers some time along the way.  If she could scout out maps and such, gathering materials then she could very well gain something to do besides fighting or owning a shop.  He was certain Esther would get along alright.  They arrived at the cliff side but upon first glance it seemed to be bare.

ID#  67882  LD:  11

OOC- @EstherI was told about a player named Itzal who is evidently shooting for a scout like build if you want Esther to interact with him

Edited by Domarus

Domarus told Esther that she was too easily manipulated, Esther did agree- to an extent, but it wasn't so much that she was being manipulated that she made a poor decision based on lack of knowledge. At the time, she didn't know the world of Alchemy. Domarus showed concern, asking her what would happen if someone fed her one of Mari's potions. "I guess it's a little late for that...I've already had a number of her potions right? The ones she's making for you, they'd be custom right - so its not like someone could use something like that on me. Besides - if I wasn't so trusting of people I first met, I wouldn't be here with you...or Keres, I think I'd be sad if I knew that I wouldn't have this chance. Esther noticed his face Darken, she tugged on his sleeve to gain his attention, offering her a worried look of her own. "Domarus?"

When those looks fell upon his features, it concerned him. Even more so now since she saw his episode with Keres. Keres That's right, the other girl was still following them. Esther glanced behind her, glossed lips pursed in concern. There was little she could do right now...

Esther stopped at the cliff side, she realised she was still grasping onto his jacket sleeve, and quickly let go. "Ah, Sorry. Hmmmm..." Esther bent down, "This looks like something." She leaned over, precariously so over the edge, trying to pry another dark stone from the cliff side, she succeeded...but dropped it.

"Oh Shoot...." She muttered.

ID: 67883  LD:10 + 3 = Fail

Edited by Esther

Domarus listened to her explanation and nodded, accepting the fact as it was her choice.  She noticed his dark expression and tugged on his sleeve.  He realized what she saw and shook his head embarrassingly.

"Ah, sorry.  I may be able to take a lot, but perverts who use methods such as that are disgusting and revolting.  Persuading one to do something is one thing, but to trick an innocent girl into drinking a potion that forces her to...  Well it's perverted in every way."  He saw the look of caution and concern in her eyes and sighed, realizing that she would never look at him the same way again.  Was this the punishment he would endure with anyone he revealed the truth to?  Perhaps he should stick with revealing nothing and just appearing like the knight in shining armor for manipulation purposes after all.  If Esther couldn't stand the thought then who would?  Behind him Keres noticed Esther look at her and she winked with a mischievous grin.  Keres loved making other's uncomfortable and she decided to take the opportunity.

"Did you have any fun with the man?" she cooed.

"Keres!"  Domarus growled and the woman fell silent with a satisfied smirk.  Domarus sighed.  This sort of stuff didn't make him uncomfortable.  But he didn't want Esther to be more uncomfortable being around him than she already was and his servant wasn't exactly doing anything to help him.  He'd need to talk to her about this later.  Most likely Keres would have to be separated with him while with Esther.  This was getting way out of hand and he was fearful of losing Esther.  He saw her rush over to the cliff and pull something out but ended up dropping it, shattering the material.  He shrugged.

"Hey you actually found something.  Better than I could have done,"  he finished with a chuckle, attempting to lighten the situation a little.  He scanned the area and thought he saw an ore sticking out himself.  He walked over but when he tried to pull it out it budged and then stopped.  Confused he was about to try again when a large rock fell on his head.  It didn't hurt of course but it was a bit frustrating.  Still he breathed in and out before allowing a grin.

"I've got the worst luck."

@Esther

Edited by Domarus

Domarus spoke of perversion, deviants and underhanded methods. She knew that now, she knew that such things were a reality within Aincrad. She wasn't going to be so willingly duped into it a second time. If she had known the first...things would have gone differently. Esther raised her finger to her lips, lightly pressing down on them. Emerald eyes staring down into the abyss of the cliff-side. If she had known, what would have become of her and Lycan? Would he have been better off? In an odd sense, Esther didn't regret her actions. "True." She said thoughtfully. "Still I can't exactly say I regret what transpired. I made a wonderful new friend, and learnt very valuable lessons about the intricacies of Aincrad."  

Esther turned her attention to Keres.  "Hmm? The one who poisoned me...I don't think so. Lycan acted pretty quickly, forcing an antidote into my mouth, but the whole thing
is kind of hazy, but If you have time to make sarcastic remarks, you have time to help Domarus. He's your lover right? Wouldn't you want to help him obtain his profession quicker?" Esther's question sounded jarring, a tad rude - but she didn't intend it to come across that way. she just didn't understand why Keres wasn't helping hunt for materials, and just standing around. Esther gave Keres a disapproving look.

Esther shook her head, turning back to the cliff-side. It was a little dangerous. She leaned over, squinting. "Is that...mmmm...." It looked like a dark chunk of obsidian, with gold flecks through it. "If I can just get a little closer." ESther reached further down, trying to grasp it, but it was just beyond her reach.

She'd have to try again.

ID:  67932  LD:7 + 3 =10 FAIL

Edited by Esther

Domarus shrugged.  The girl was had the right to believe what she wished.  And it was true that strange and unusual things caused others to meet one another, and stay together.  He only hoped the same would happen here.  Domarus heard Esther reply to Keres with a comeback of her own.  He knew what Keres was thinking.  And indeed he was right.  Keres grinned and was going to talk on the topic of them being lovers when Domarus turned to her with a warning look that made it clear not to push the matter any further.  When Esther gave her a disapproving look Keres' smile switched from sarcastic to satisfaction.  She was very pleased with this Esther that had a sense of command about her.  She bowed slightly.

"Of course mistress, my apologies.  I shall get started immediately."  As she went to start looking Domarus watched her go before turning to Esther.

"I have to be honest that look you gave her might have been the best move in this situation.  She's an odd person, and I haven't learned all her quirks.  Except what you've already seen of course.  I know her history though and a portion of why she enjoys punishment and authority.  The rest is a mystery for me to solve."  Domarus watched as Esther tried and failed to get her hands on a black ore up high.  He smiled at her as she tried again, and failed, turning to Domarus who was taller than her and he chuckled as he walked over, reached up and slid it out of place.

"Well what do you know?  No explosion, stink, or disintegration.  It must be my lucky day...  You said you loved the stars.  Do you have a favorite constellation?"  In truth he had no idea what constellations there were.  He simply wanted to get the conversation going again and hopefully learn a little more about Esther.  He didn't like it when someone knew everything about him but he barely knew anything about them.

ID#  67950  LD:  16

+1 MAT

Edited by Domarus

Esther was a little surprised when Keres went ahead and started helping rather than standing around doing nothing. She turned to Domarus, clearly confused.  "Look..." Esther muttered, trying to piece together the information given to her by Keres and Domarus, "I just...." Esther looked up at Domarus, "I just...felt frustrated, she was just standing around...how is that helping you?" Esther asked. "I mean, we are here for you today. Right? Not for her, not for me, but for you. So it makes sense to help you....not stand around..." Esther glanced back to the cliff-side. "I guess....lazing around doing nothing bothers me. I come from a small country town, and there was always work to do. If you didn't work, you didn't eat.

Esther watched as Domarus easily plucked the material she was trying to reach. She grinned. "Two down, three to go- I bet you can almost taste that profession Domarus~" 

Esther noticed another chunk of stone, she tried to pull it out - but it crumbled between her fingers. "Dang...." It was just a clump of colored sand. "Hey Domarus..." Esther turned to the taller man with a grin, "Let's have a competition. Whoever gets the most materials, best out of 5 gets to ask for one favor from the other. So far we are tied, does that sound like fun?"

Domarus asked what her favourite constellation was, or if she had one. "Hmmm...not really, I like all the constellations, although ones based off of greek mythology..." She laughed, "Ok so the majority of them are...but....It's just, the idea of them yanno? People have been looking forward- to the skies for centuries. To us, we see a splash of bright lights, but that splash, that constellation tells an entire story. A story about love, a story about war, broken promises, even shady dealings. The stars, are like a giant storybook." Esther laughed. "I guess that sounds pretty weird when I say it out aloud.

ID: 68100  LD: 8 + 3 = 11 FAIL

Materials 2/5

Edited by Esther

Domarus heard Esther speak defensively and how she was just frustrated that his servant wasn't, well, serving.  He nodded to Esther, completely understanding her reasoning.  His servant should be doing at least as much work as he was, if not more of the minor things.  He figured that she would be doing most of the material gathering while he would focus on combat and his plans involving other people.  She would also do maid like things such as maintain his shop, cook meals, etc.  Things he couldn't be bothered with.  This he realized would give him more time to train and grind and other ways to earn col.  

"I agree.  You hear that Keres?  No more slacking off for you."  Keres paused her searching and looked up with a pleased smile.

"Nothing else would satisfy me master."  As she returned her attention to her gathering he knew that she was lying to keep Esther sane.  As far as Keres was concerned, anyone friendly enough with Domarus as Esther was, was her master or mistress as well.  And unless her master or mistress was going to punish her she did not wish to displease her.  He then heard Esther mention a competition and he turned to her with renewed interest with an eyebrow cocked.

"I never turn down a competition, no matter how unfair it may be.  Bring it on Esther."  He grinned before searching for a material he could use.  He may have Keres and himself, but Esther had a skill that amplified her ability to detect and collect items or players.  It would most likely be in her favor despite that they were even right now, and thus the unfairness.  However Domarus knew there was a chance and no bets were placed so there would be nothing lost.  Nothing to lose and much to gain.  Just the way he liked it.  He found nothing on his end and didn't bother checking Keres as she would probably boast to him, hoping for some kind of reward later.

ID#  68108  LD:  9

Edited by Domarus

ID: 68147 LD: 2 + 3 = 5 FAIL

Esther grinned, as Domarus said he would never turn down the competition. Esther knew it was a little unfair, but she didn't mind - it's not like she'd ask him to do anything heinous if she won. Esther didn't even know what she would ask of Domarus, she just earnestly enjoyed his company. Even if Keres was....more than a little odd. As long as he kept whatever strange BDSM pain fetish they had with each other between themselves, it wouldn't bother Esther.

Her emerald eyes turned to where she was hunting for Materials. "Mmmm.." She gave a few spots a knock with her fist, but nothing shifted. "This'd be easier if I had something sharp to pry things away..." She mumbled, "Maybe I should speak to an artisan about getting a tool to help, hmmm?" Esther mused, turning sideward to look at Domarus, hinting that that would be one of the things she'd first request of him. Paid of course.

Esther wiped her brow, "It must be getting pretty late too...hopefully we will get what we need, then we can head back to town and get you crafting. Do you know where you're going to open your shop yet Domarus?" Esther asked, turning toward him. She hadn't opened up her shop yet, she wasn't sure what floor she wanted to go on, or where to put it. Mari had one on the outskirts of town, others had theirs in the safety of town. Esther would no doubt definitely have hers located snugly inside a safe zone. The fear of being surrounded by monsters and rogue PKers was a little too much for the young lilac haired girl.

"You've asked about my hobbies...but what about yours?"

Edited by Esther

Domarus continued to search, eager to beat the odds of the unfairness and upping her respect for him.  Then again it wouldn't really work that way if Keres found something.  He doubted it though.  She didn't have his eyes.  His calculative eyes that demanded they knew everything and saw everything to be completely aware of his surroundings.  That was what was required.  If you were going to be in charge you had to know what was going on at all times.  That's why he needed scouts and informants.  Without them he was blind and he couldn't have that whatsoever.  Domarus heard Esther speak and grinned at the hint she gave him.

"Oh if only there were a nice artisan to would just pop up somewhere and be gracious enough to make such a thing."  He grinned at her before continuing his work.  Then she asked him where he wanted to open up his shop and he thought about that for a moment.

"You know I'm not exactly sure.  I know it will be outside safe zones so that pkers can come as well, but not sure what floor.  I'm assuming floor one get's the most lower level players, but misses out on some of the stronger players.  However if my shop is active enough and becomes popular I doubt I'll have a problem so probably this floor.  I'll set up a perimeter for my shop so players don't need to worry about monsters when they approach."  That was his plan.  He'd make his shop someplace pkers could come as well so that he'd have that many more players.  He doubted Mari would want anything to do with him but he didn't care.  As long as got customers who wanted to pay with col he was fine.  If he needed materials he could probably get the assistance of either Esther or someone else who had the skills.  Then he heard her ask about his hobbies.  

"Well, when I wasn't planning or manipulating, I was playing video games...  Actually believe it or not it was with video games I began developing my skills.  It was an MMORPG game and I tried to become powerful and gain my own personal army.  I failed entirely and was destroyed by the other players.  Then I realized I needed to be discrete.  Soon I had mastered it and did indeed get my own personal army.  Though many players disliked it, I had literally gained my own small little kingdom.  They couldn't invade without looking like the villains which would turn the rest of the world against them and thus I had my own little empire."  Domarus tried to pull a black ore out but it shattered at his touch.

ID#  68190  LD:  7

Edited by Domarus

ID: 68191 LD: 18 + 3 = 21

Esther feigned a southern accent, and fanned herself with her hand. "Oh where, Oh Where shall I find myself such a manly handy Artisan?" She giggled, as she tried to pry a piece of ore from the rock in front of her. "You know. I'm enjoying this time with you, Domarus." Esther mused.

"Oop!" The dirtied piece of ore she was trying to pry out had loosened, and fallen straight into the palm of her hands. Esther held it out toward Domarus, giving him a confident smirk. "Hey Domarus~" she teased, "That's two for me now, one more and I win our little bet." She placed the material in his hand. "My, my, my Domarus..." Esther teased. "Why oh why did you agree to such a one sided bet?" She stuck her tongue out at him, as if to reassure him her words were all in jest- and that she meant him no harm. "Of Course, I suppose you and Keres are a team, right? So you have two against one."

Esther turned back to where they were gathering materials from, listening to Domarus as he started to talk about his passion with gaming. "Heh... I feel a little out of place." Esther mused, "It seems everyone who has joined SAO has some sort of experience with gaming. My only experience was at the local arcades, this is my first online game, what luck eh?"

Materials 3/5

@Domarus

Edited by Esther

After her display of a poor souther accent Domarus rolled his eyes with an amused smile and shook his head as he continued to look.  Then his smile grew when she said she enjoys spending time with him.  That's a first he thought.  He heard Esther mention something and turned to grab the material just in time.  Domarus listened to Esther tease him on his obviously very poor skills at finding materials.  He didn't mind however, and when she talked about him accepting a one sided bet he chuckled and continued searching.

"Oh don't you worry.  I can't wait to have a drinking contest with you," he joked.  He doubted she was one to drink but even if she was she would never beat him at a drinking contest.  He had worked hard in the real world to make himself immune to the effects of alcohol so that he could watch others get drunk and interrogate them.  Not to mention it was hilarious to see them drunk.  He couldn't imagine what Esther would start to do if she herself got drunk.  He shook his head and chuckled at the thought.

"Well of course your out of place, but if you look at it right we all are.  I don't fit with all those weak players, nor do I fit in with the front liners who want to risk everything to escape, and yet I'll be with both of them.  The front liners don't want to be trapped here and seek to escape, yet their here for a while.  Just because you don't play video games doesn't mean you don't belong here Esther.  This world?  It was literally made to replace the real world for a time.  Even if the log out option was still here you think players would come here for just an hour?  No, this world would be their escape.  It would be another world they could live in whenever they were sick of the real one.  That's why professions and searching skills exist Esther, so players like yourself have something to run to.  It was designed for everyone, not specifics.  So if you look at it that way you do belong here like the rest of us."  Domarus thought that his reasoning was sound and solid and left it at that.  Another ore shattered at his touch but he didn't worry at this point.  It was obvious who the victor would be.

ID#  68198  LD:  7

Edited by Domarus

"D-Drinking contest?" Esther said, startled. "Is that what you're gonna make me do if I loose? I can't do that, I'd loose straight away! I don't drink much." She pouted. "Gosh Domarus...you're gonna be a real butt head if you see me drunk. All my friends always tease me and how I act when I am." Esther shook her head, laughing again, "Ah, but I won't go into detail with that. That's my little secret. At least for now." She added with a mischievous smile.

Esther took a step back from their gathering, wiping her brow. "Man..." She muttered, opening up her HUD- and scrolling down till she found a flask of water, pulling it out of her inventory she took a few large sips. "This is tiring work, I mean...I suppose we aren't doing much, but still...its funny how stuff like this makes you tired, and thirsty. Even though it's just a game." Esther offered the contents of the flask to Domarus, "Thirsty? Promise there isn't anything bad in it. I'm not stupid enough to poison myself, or someone I care about."

Domarus offered Esther words of encouragement, and they were probably the wisest things she had heard thus far within Aincrad, he spoke about how Sword Art Online was designed, and how it was realistically, created to be an escape from the real world. Esther felt a little guilty, her life was wonderful, and she never felt the need to escape from it, she guessed that others weren't as lucky as her. He explained that just because she wasn't a fighter, and didn't know what she was doing it didn't mean that she was useless - and that the game had actually factored builds like her within it. Esther beamed, his words really helped.

Esther watched as Domarus attempted to harvest a material, it crumbled in his hand, his hands were big, and looked like they could crush a small animal, it wasn't surprising to see him struggle with gaining materials. Esther figured that she'd give him a chance to catch up, just this once. In the future, she would help him gather as many materials as he wanted. "I need a break, so how about I watch you for a bit, eh? Give you a chance to catch up." Esther teased. "To say thank-you for your kind and wise words."

Domarus heard Esther pout about losing the instant she started and he cocked a sarcastic eyebrow towards her.

"I pretty much lost the moment I agreed to yours so don't you go complaining."  When she talked about her own little secret and gave him a mischievous smile he grinned back.  He liked Esther as she had a sense of humor and not much bothered her.  He continued scanning the walls for anything that could be used but wouldn't collapse in his hands and heard Esther mention being thirsty and heard an item being pulled out of her inventory.  He turned to her as she offered him water and he thanked her as he picked it up and began to drink it.

"I trust you Esther, don't you worry."  He listened as she told him she decided to watch him and Keres search for materials and let them catch up.  Slacker he thought.  Then he heard her thank him for his kind words of wisdom.

"You know, I don't think I've ever heard those words before.  At least not when I wasn't manipulating others.  It feels weird hearing it come out naturally.  Hmm..."  It indeed felt strange.  He manipulated others to his will and they had no idea.  Therefore they thought he was caring for their wellbeing and nothing more.  With that sort of mindset they usually tried thanking him in one way or another.  It was a form of payment they believed they were owed, which was as he had intended from the beginning.  The fools just believed him is all.  Esther though.  She was thanking him from just his honest talk.  That made her reply something different entirely.  He tried to remove a large stone that appeared sturdy out but as soon as he touched it the material shattered.  This was going about as well as Christmas at his house he thought.

ID#  68198  LD:  4

@Esther

Edited by Domarus

ID: 68199  LD: 4 + 3 = 7 FAIL

"If I didn't know better...I'd think you were letting me win, Domarus. So you're right, I shouldn't complain." Esther said, as she took back the water - placing it in her inventory. She approached Domarus again, standing close next to him. She allowed her hand to dance gracefully across the rough surface of the rocks. "Hmm....It looks like most of these are either sand clods, dirt clods, or just hard granite - maybe if we move a few feet down we'd have a better chance at finding something." She glanced sideward at him, "Wouldn't wanna disappoint you, after all." She said with a laugh.

Rather than wait for Domarus, Esther turned her back on the red-headed man, happily humming to herself as she moved a few feet down. This area already looked better, small glints of rock and ore shimmered in the slowly fading sunlight. It was at this point, that Domarus seemed shocked that she had thanked him. How he hadn't exactly heard those words in earnest before. The lilac haired woman glanced up at him, a concerned look across her soft features. He stood there, with a smile, but his words seemed so heartbreaking. How was he not bothered by what he was saying, was he just so used to the notion of using others purely for his own gain? Did something happen in his past to cause him to have such a negative view on the world?

"Domarus..." Esther whispered, before choosing not to question it. She shook her head, turning her attention back to the task at hand. "Mmm...nevermind."

Materials 3/5

Edited by Esther

Domarus heard her suggestion and nodded in agreement.  He backed up from the cliff and scanned the area.  Suddenly Keres called for him and he turned his attention to her, then looked at the area she pointed at.  The area she mentioned seemed to be made of much sturdier material and he nodded to Keres to inform her that she did a good job.  Keres smiled and bowed slightly to Domarus before searching again.  As he felt the cliff for anything he could use he noticed how silent Esther had become.  Had he said something that discomforted her once again?  Sometimes it seemed easy to make her happy and others it seemed impossible.  He was about to ask her why she was so quiet when she called his name.  Domarus turned to her, all his focus on her.  He saw he hesitate then tell him never mind.  His eyes narrowed slightly.  He couldn't let this go now.  She wasn't the only nosy one here.

"Keres if you have something you need to say or ask please say it.  Don't hold it in.  I know from experience both experiencing it myself and observing others having done so, it eats you up.  And you already have my attention.  Here's a little tip about me:  Nothing anyone says can harm me.  I'm immune to insults or how others view me."  Whatever Esther was thinking, she obviously was afraid to say it.  Domarus didn't want her to think he would snap at her or be hurt by what she would say.  That would never be the case.  Even if after all this she told him she hated him and wanted nothing to do with him, he would be upset that he lost possibly the only other friend he'd ever had, he could get over it in the end.  However what Domarus didn't realize was that although it was a slow process, Esther was beginning to grow on Domarus.  Pretty soon she would be a true friend to him.  He was interested in what she had to say, whether it was a personal issue of hers or something he wanted to know from Domarus.

ID:68202  LD:2 + 3 = 5 FAIL

It didn't take much prying from Domarus, Esther quickly opened up, explaining her hesitation earlier, and the thoughts that were on the forefront of her mind.

Esther shook her head, "No, no. It's nothing like that. I don't want to insult you. It's just that...." Her voice was quiet, her eyes shifting from the redheaded man to the cliff, and back to him again. "You have such a strong and powerful presence, it's almost intimidating sometimes. How high you hold your head, the way the corner of your mouth quirks up into little confident smirks - and those brilliant gleams you have in your eyes when you are focused on something...or planning something..." Esther pulled her hand away from the wall, turning to rest her back against its cool, hard surface. "Even with such a demanor...every so often, you say these things, that seem so...so...."  Esther paused, shifting her head to gaze downard, her hair spilled over her shoulders, shielding her eyes from his. "So sad Domarus....I mean...your world view is so harsh, so narrow. It's painful to hear you see everyone around you as little more than pawns, or people to use or train to follow you." 

Esther fiddled with her hands, "Sometimes, I just wonder - if something happened to make you this way. I see glimpses of all these different faces you have, and sometimes I struggle telling which one is the real one. I know you don't want me knowing about your past, and that's fine. I don't need to know, I guess...it's just a little painful to me seeing you that way."

Esthers body shook with forced laughter, "I know, I'm stupid for worrying about silly things like this. I always get told 'Esther don't overthink things'  or 'Esther you should worry about yourself more'  but I can't help it." There was a long pause. "Sorry...lets get back to material hunting." 

@Domarus

Edited by Esther

Domarus listened to Esther as she talked to him about how he spoke, looked and acted.  How he talked about people as pawns and how he had such a harsh and narrow view on life.  How what he said seemed sad to her.  He listened to her finally ask what happened to him that he thought and acted this way.  There was a long moment of silence as the two stood there, Keres continuing to search as she wasn't a part of the conversation between Domarus and Esther.  However she didn't have as much skill as Domarus or Esther and it was proving difficult for her to find anything.  Then Esther forced laughter and talked about how she was told she thought too much on things and tried to bring the conversation back to gathering.  Domarus watched as she searched and sighed, sitting down on a large rock.

"Esther.  Sit down for a moment if you will.  You want to know why I act so dark?  You want to know why I see people the way I do?  You want to know why I see the world the way I do?  I'll tell you.  If this truly bothers you I will tell you.  So sit down and listen please."  He waited for her to come over and sit down beside him.  He waited a moment before beginning.

"I don't know what kind of family you have or had Esther, but I had no mother or siblings.  All other relatives were cut off from me.  All I had was my father.  And my father burned the idea into me that you could never show your true face or emotions as if you did so you left yourself vulnerable to everyone.  What I mean by this is if you don't show everyone who they want to see, you gain more enemies than friends.  My father showed me every show, movie, book, and pulled up the news constantly to show proof of what he said.  I had realized that he was right after a while and decided that I wanted to be in charge.  I learned that I wanted to be in control so that nothing like that would happen to me.  However my father's words echoed in my mind as I recalled every king and ruler who seized control through conquest and how they were fought against and killed.  So I chose to wear the mask my father was providing me.  I would appear like the valiant hero who came in and saved everyone and treated everyone fairly, when really I was in control of everything and everyone.  I see the world so harshly and narrowly Esther, because that is all I have ever seen in the world.  Never once have I seen anyone treat another with free kindness and not reap negative consequences from it.  Never have I seen this so called 'peace' everyone speaks of.  The world is twisted and dark and I have yet to see otherwise.  If you can prove to me that I am wrong, provide enough proof to counter all the evil that fills the world, then I'm all ears.  However you now know my history, my reasonings, and my beliefs.  I apologize if I've scared you Esther."

@Esther

Edited by Domarus

Domarus asked Esther to sit down beside him, and she obliged. Sitting in close proximity next to him, their bodies just close enough to be touching. Esther bought her knees up under her and let her hands sit in her lap. Her fingers still entwining around one another as she fidgeted, a little nervous at the sudden shift in atmosphere. The way he urged her to sit, the way he said please...it made the atmosphere feel heavy. 

He explained that he had no mother, no brothers or sisters - and no other family to speak of. Esther lowered her head and furrowed her brow. It was his first sentence, the first words from his thin lips, and already they sounded so...so depressing. Coupled with a warped sense of the world imposed onto him by his father. "Domarus..." Esther whispered the name, a weak attempt to comfort him, to let him know she was listening. He insisted that kindness reaped naught but negative consequences, and he urged her to prove him wrong. Esther thought long and hard about his words. Sure, her kindness was often used, and she was taken for granted, sure, she had things thrust upon her, but she wasn't the sort of person to mind that - if she were to bring any of those things up, it'd only further prove his point.

Esther shifted, pressing her head against his shoulder. 

"I think its subjectivity. You can view the world as naught but negatives, or positives. I can't provide you with something to counter every evil in this world, but can't I at least give one reason? One  glimmer of proof? Isn't that enough to start a ripple effect?" She shifted her head to lean closer into his shoulder. Esther wasn't sure what to do or say in this sort of situation, she just hoped that her words, and her limited actions somehow reached him.

"I've treated you with kindness, and you've treated me with naught but the same in return. That's my proof."

Materials 3/5