PP/NK - F18 Days of the Five Rings (Day 2: Water / Daytime) (Baldur)

"Huh?"

As he felt the sense of emptiness in his mind cease at Baldur's words Calrex blinked for a second as he felt his conscious thoughts return to him. It was certainly a strange sensation that he had experienced, as it wasn't like when he had focused with the cold persona, neither like the feeling of moral weight like when he was practicing Fudoshin. It was as if his reactions were dictated by what was happening, but not in a way that was drawn from his sight alone. Each of the attacks and guards that Baldur had exchanged seemed to reacted to almost instinctually, and at point when there were obvious spots to attack, he felt his body hesitate, restraining him from moving. It was something he would need to keep in mind the next time he faced Achilles in the night.

"Another dungeon? Geezes that was quick, heh. Well, then I guess we shouldn't waste time and get moving right?"

"This is the eighteenth floor however, so we'd better be careful. I'd best equip my higher mitigation equipment until we get a better gauge on how strong the creatures inside are."

Swiping on his menu the Grand Dragon, Amethyst Charm and Tide Pendant vanished into his battle ready inventory as he swapped out for the Grand Chariot II and Grand Guard II. First the fully-body heavy armor encapsulated his avatar, with the full-cover helmet covering his face, leaving only the light blue slits for his eyes. Second the two pieces of the tower shield attached to his forearms. This was the standard array he normally used when he was tanking floor raids, as it allowed him to defend and attack, rather than having to fully defend.

Spoiler

Calrex Stats Change:
HP: 1575
ACC: 1
EVA: -1
MIT: 134
Thorns: 36
Heavy Momentum: 2

Baldur smiled as his Kouhei switched into his more tank heavy equipment. Baldur wasn't quite there yet, but he looked forward to having his skills in a place where he could have a more specifically tuned equipment set to match multiple build requirements. He had that a bit, with his new katanas, but he wasn't yet at the point where he could easily swap between them and still needed to commit fully to one or the other.

"If you don't mind, I think I'll let you go first." Baldur said with a grin that was half embarrassed, half amused. He was built as a balance of evasion and mitigation, but he still had far to go before hit mitigation could keep up with this floor. He was probably fine soloing out in a field, but in a dungeon... Baldur wasn't willing to risk it, especially not when Calrex was right there.

"Discretion is the better part of valor." Baldur said with a laugh as he readied his <<Raijinken>> as his primary weapon. With just the two of them, he could bet on the paralysis over the bleed damage.

"One of these days we're gonna find a floor were the enemies are all... gummy bears and sentient cotton candy and get away from these god forsaken dark and swampy floors."

ID: 69162
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +1) = 10 (+1 Damage)
Loot Dice: 11 (Search and Detect +2) = 13 (No Materials Found)
Mob Dice: 4 (Evasion -1) = 5
Sword Art <<Shadow Explosion>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (18 Energy Used / 130 Remaining)

"To be honest, with all of the gloomy floors we're having, I'm perfectly fine with a Willy Wonka themed floor at this point."

Calrex gave a laugh before proceeding inside, his sword at the ready. It was particularly dark within the entrance tunnel of the dungeon, but as he began to make his way through his eyes began to adjust to the change. He no longer had <<Night Vision>> and <<Reveal>> so these types of things were becoming a hindrance once again, although he had done his best to adapt.

Looking ahead the bluenette could make out four strange blobs of movement that reflected bits of light, and they were getting closer. Without even thinking he quickly rushed forward, triggering <<Charge>> as a single blue diamond-shaped petal gateway appeared in front of him, rocketing him even faster forward. The Grand Blade glowed dark purple as he unleashed <<Shadow Explosion>>, rapidly cutting through the four creatures without getting a chance to identify them.

Bursting into crystals the bluenette gave a small sigh of relief, "Alright, that's four down."

Calrex: 1575/1575 | EN: 130/148

Baldur: ???/??? | EN: ??/??

Unknown Slither: 0/72 (13+1+1+5 DMG * 9 Art = 180 DMG)
Unknown Slither 2: 0/72 (13+1+1+5 DMG * 9 Art = 180 DMG)
Unknown Slither 3: 0/72 (13+1+1+5 DMG * 9 Art = 180 DMG)
Unknown Slither 4: 0/72 (13+1+1+5 DMG * 9 Art = 180 DMG)

4/4 Floor Strength Creatures Slain

"Well then." Baldur said as Calrex exploded all of the mobs they came across in the dungeon, poking one of the polygon shards with the tip of his sword.

"Maybe we won't have as much of a hard time as we thought..." Baldur said with a wry, amused smile. The tunnel didn't seem like it was going to be very deep. He had seen these before, a shallow, twisting tunnel and then a larger boss chamber in the back. As they moved down the slightly sloping sandy bottomed tunnel, Baldur looked up and around them. It almost seemed like what he imagined a beaver dam would look like from the inside, with mud and slime and fallen trees and branches making up the ceiling of the 'cave' they were in. Were they beneath the swampy waters up above? The ceiling of the 'cave' seemed to drip only intermittently.

Impressive.

Eventually they came around a bend and a slight rise in the path, as if to prevent water from the tunnel from reaching within what Baldur assumed was the main chamber. Once they cleared the rise, Baldur saw the monster within. It was truly a terrifying sight.

It was some kind of Zom-beaver!

The giant creature was partially rotted, with only glowing orbs for eyes and Baldur could see the teeth inside the mouth through a section of missing, rotten flesh, as well as the two giant, blood covered buck teeth.

Baldur turned to look at Cal as he slowly backed into the main chamber.

"I feel like we're in some kind of B movie."

With a smile, Baldur almost fell backwards, but seemed to use the moment to add to his <<Charge>> skill as he shot across the room like a blue and orange streak. Somewhere halfway through the room, Baldur drew <<Raijinken>> and lightning and azure light exploded through the room, streaks of energy reaching out to the ceiling and the ponds around the room as Baldur suddenly landed next to the boss, the radiant sword striking the Zom-Beaver, and for a heartbeat you could see a skeleton that wasn't really there and hear the howl of Baldur's familiar Gram. Baldur spun, stepping around to another side of the beaver and striking it, and then one more, until he had hit it on three sides.

"I've paralyzed it!"

ID# 69205 BD: 10 (paralysis activated)
15 (Base) +2 (charge) +2 (Crit) +1 (ferocity) = 20x14 = 280 DMG

<<Calrex>> HP: 1,575/1575 | EN: 130/148
<<Baldur>> HP: 855/855 | EN: 70/84
<<Zom-Beaver>> HP: 620/900 | 432 DMG (PARALYZED)

ID: 69220
Battle Dice: 7 (Accuracy +1) = 8 (Disregarded Due to Howl)
<<Howl>> Activated (+3 Hate to all enemies / 1 Energy Recovered / 131 Remaining)

"We've always been in a B movie. Pretty much the entire premise of our being trapped here if you ask my opinion."

Calrex gave a laugh as he watched Baldur rush forward, rapidly slicing through the zombified beaver before the creature stopped in its tracks. Making note of the red numbers flying by, signifying a critical hit, the bluenette quickly flipped the Grand Blade II into a reverse grip, the swirling blue aura forming around the sword until he pierced it into the ground, releasing the energy through his <<Howl>> skill.

"Gotta make sure I keep the highest aggro, or this battle could get ugly fairly quickly."

Removing the sword he gave a calming breath, "Alright, once that paralyze runs out I'll see if I can stun it, that way we get another round for free shots before it can retaliate."

"Of course it's still not guaranteed. Without the Amethyst Charm equipped my accuracy is reliant on Roc's eyes alone, which is a small boost. I'll just have to hope this thing leaves a clean opening to strike once I get another chance to attack."

Hate: 3 | <<Calrex>> HP: 1,575/1575 | EN: 131/148
Hate: 2 | <<Baldur>> HP: 855/855 | EN: 70/84
<<Zom-Beaver>> HP: 620/900 | 432 DMG (PARALYZED)

Baldur laughed at their comment about always being in a B movie. He had thought Cal was going to remark that they always seemed to find beginner dungeons with some sort of odd sense of humor in their design, but he did suppose that the ultramarine knight was correct that their situation seemed to something straight out of a Tom Hanks movie or a manga of some kind. Truth really was stranger than fiction.

Lowering his blade, Baldur prepared to execute his <<Iai>> sword art to stun the mob, but just then he caught Cal's words, and that Baldur should do a full damage attack while the tank stunned the creature. It was an obvious move that Baldur should have thought of. If Cal was in tank gear, his damage would be low. Better that they sacrifice his already low damage for the benefit of a stun, while Baldur go for the highest powered sword art he had since his damage was much higher than if he tried to stun the mob.

Unfortunately, switching from <<Iai>> to <<San Ge>> was awkward, as he so rarely abandoned a sword art, and while he felt the system assist tugging at his motions, Baldur broke free from it and canceled the manuver just as the <<Zom-Beaver>> broke free his paralyze. Having missed his chance for the attack, Baldur leapt backwards and out of the range of the giant, skeletal flat trail as the creature smashed it into where Baldur had just been standing.

"Oops!"

ID# 69222 BD: 1 | MD: 3
Baldur misses | Zom-Beaver misses

Hate: 3 | <<Calrex>> HP: 1,575/1575 | EN: 131/148
Hate: 2 | <<Baldur>> HP: 855/855 | EN: 69/84 (-2 Energy/+1)
<<Zom-Beaver>> HP: 620/900 | 432 DMG 

ID: 69226
Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +1) = 3 (Disregarded Due to Howl)
<<Howl>> Activated (+3 Hate to All Enemies / 1 Energy Recovered / 132 Remaining)

"Don't worry, we've got this!"

As Calrex readied himself to rush forward with a <<Charge>> powered <<Meteor Break>> suddenly the zombie beaver had begun to shift around, now free of its paralysis. Unfortunately, the creature was too agile for him to get a bead on, with Roc's eyes being the only thing giving him an edge, "Tch...darn it I'll need to wait for another opportunity to attack."

Flipping the Grand Blade II into a reverse grip he released <<Howl>> once again, the deafening roar exploding out before he retrieved his sword from the ground he had pierced it into. Now he had more than enough Hate on the creature to keep it from targeting his teammate, and as long as they focused on beating it down they should turn out alright.

"Give it another shot!"

Hate: 6 | <<Calrex>> HP: 1,575/1575 | EN: 132/148
Hate: 2 | <<Baldur>> HP: 855/855 | EN: 69/84
<<Zom-Beaver>> HP: 620/900 | 432 DMG 

Baldur watched as Cal used <<Howl>> once again, solidifying his threat lead, so that Baldur could really let loose without worrying about another crit again. The Bluenette challenged the giant zombie beaver creature, but even though he was slowed by his heavy armor, he proved to be too agile for the monster. Once Cal had the creature turned away from Baldur, the gaijin Samurai ran forward, hopping onto the tail of the creature as it flailed, throwing the Samurai into the air, but he was able to maintain his positioning and activate his sword art mid air, crashing into the back of the beaver as the multiple slashes carved open a section of its torso.

"Tag!" Baldur shouts to the mob as he pushes off of it's back and then lands on the sandy ground to the side.

Looking up, Baldur confirmed that the monster had its focus exclusively on his ultramarine comrade.

ID# 69232 BD: 5+3 (hit) MD: 4 (miss)
Baldur uses <<San Ge>> 15 base +1 ferocity x 14 sword art = 224 DMG

Hate: 3 | <<Baldur>> HP: 855/855 | EN: 56/84 (-14/+1)
<<Zom-Beaver>> HP: 396/900 | 432 DMG

ID: 69233
Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +1) = 3 (+Disregarded Due to Item Switch)
Item Switch: Grand Guard II for Amethyst Charm

"Got it!"

As Calrex rushed forward, preparing himself to attack, suddenly the zombie beaver tried to lash out at him again. Slowing his pace and dodging to the side he cursed under his teeth, "This strategy isn't working. I keep on the defensive, and my attacks are suffering as a result. Going to need to make a switch for this battle. Achilles, I'm counting on you to keep me alive..."

Swiping on his menu the bluenette quickly accessed his battle ready inventory, selecting the Amethyst Charm as his Grand Guard II tower shield swapped out for it. Feeling a bit of his speed and accuracy return he gave a small sigh before focusing on the sub-dungeon boss once again.

"One more shot Bal. I'll get it this time around...hopefully."

Hate: 3 | <<Baldur>> HP: 855/855 | EN: 56/84 (-14/+1)
<<Zom-Beaver>> HP: 396/900 | 432 DMG

Calrex Stat Change:

Spoiler

Calrex Stats Change:
HP: 1575
ACC: 3
EVA: 1
MIT: 48
Thorns: 36

Baldur shook his head as the Ultramarine knight changed out his gear again. He knew they were both still trying to get used to new equipment, but the highest leveled player in Aincrad had yet to hit this creature, and Baldur was beginning to think that the bluenette was just messing with him. Rushing up to the <<Zom-Beaver>>, Baldur unleashed his <<San Ge>> sword art again, dropping the boss's HP down into the red. It was only one more hit from Baldur away from being defeated, but hopefully this should be enough that Cal could hit it as well.

"Alright Cal, you're up! Finish him off!"

Again the <<Zom-Beaver>> used it's giant, car sized tail to try and crush the two players, but they were both just out of reach of the mob, and the tail instead crashed into the floor between them.

"I'm a bit ashamed that I can't think of any beaver jokes off the top of my head right now. You got any? I mean, if we're living a B movie, then we should be a lot better with the one-liners."

ID# 69256 BD: 8+3 (hit) MD: 5 (miss)
Baldur uses <<San Ge>> 15 base +1 ferocity x 14 sword art = 224 DMG

Hate: 4 | <<Baldur>> HP: 855/855 | EN: 56/84 (-14/+1)
<<Zom-Beaver>> HP: 172/900 | 432 DMG

ID: 69263
Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +3) = 9
Loot Dice: 11 (Bonus Loot)
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 122 Remaining)

"Heh, you'd think so. Best thing I can come up with is that if this thing had a twin, they'd be some Angry Beavers. Alright, got it!"

With his increased Accuracy Calrex was able to finally find a clear shot at the creature's side. Immediately the Grand Blade II shined with the power of his <<Meteor Break>> Sword Art, now accessible after he had swapped out his shield. His now free hand bent into a point, elbow in front as he shot forward with <<Charge>>, slamming into the zombie beaver's side before the multitude of slashes shot out, riddling the entirety of the creature with shining golden cuts.

Finishing with a final helm strike the bluenette came down and bisected the creature before it burst into crystals. With a sigh of relief he resheathed his sword before resting his hands at his sides, since the Grand Chariot II didn't have pockets, "Alright, I think that wraps things up. Let's get on out of here."

Loot List:
1 Material
Bonus Loot: 4500 col

Hate: 7 | <<Calrex>> HP: 1,575/1575 | EN: 122/148
Hate: 4 | <<Baldur>> HP: 855/855 | EN: 56/84
<<Zom-Beaver>> HP: 0/900 | 432 DMG (13+1+5 DMG * 11 Art = 209)

Thread Complete

1 SP to Calrex and Baldur

1 Material to Baldur

2,450 Cor each

Easy Sub-Dungeon Complete

(LD:11 +Floor 18) x 40 = 1,160 Cor bonus for dungeon (580 Each)

1 Mat to Calrex, 1 Mat to Baldur

1 SP to Both

Thread Totals:

2 SP, 2 Mats, & 3,030 Cor to Baldur
2 SP, 1 Mat, & 3,030 Cor to Calrex