[SP-F5] The Sandstorm Regulars (RGQ)

Hot air blasted his face as Arc stepped out from the teleportation plaza and faced the desert floor. He pulled the hood over his eyes to keep out the sand, but otherwise gave no expression. The Information Broker had been explicit about what happened here- if someone sought training in the blade, they had only to find the Captain of the Guard for the Sultan and commission his aid in the endeavor. In theory, it should have been an easy task.

In actuality, the Captain had disappeared in an event centered around an Antlion. The Regulars had been thrown into disarray, and training screeched to an abrupt halt. His Protectorate in chaos, the Sultan had sent out a call for willing adventurers to search for and if possible bring back his favored commander. To do so would yield a position in the Guard and favor with the Sultanate until the end of days.

Of course, everything the Broker knew about this quest came from people who had undertaken it and backed down. None of the other attempts- failed or otherwise- had been brought to his attention. Arc was running entirely on clues without evidence.

"I have to go to..." he muttered to himself as he picked out the royal palace and chose his route accordingly. "And speak with..."

In lieu of proper streets, the main settlement on floor five employed dirt paths etched and eroded by the harsh environment. Arc trod along with careful steps, slowed to nearly a standstill by the standard storm that assailed the town. "Everyday's like this here," he reminded himself. The last time he had traversed the fifth floor, it had been with Esther during the Traveler quest. Thankfully, he had no issues with the environment as a result of that same quest, but no one struggled with it inside the safe zone. He wondered for a moment at how the Frontliners had dealt with the inconvenience before they learned of that little trick.

The westernmost structure of the city stretched skyward like a modern marvel as he approached. It had all the stained glass of a Gothic cathedral with none of the spires. He was reminded instantly of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, which utilized massive round-topped towers instead. It got its start as a church, but before proper completion was taken over by the Ottomans and re-purposed as a mosque. The same Arabic overtones existed in this structure, which caused his thoughts to shift to the Crusades, then forward to the Janissaries.

If he were trained by any sort of swordsman worthy of the title Janissary, he would certainly benefit from the effort. "I wonder if that's why no one has reported finishing the quest," he murmured beneath the wailing wind. "I don't think anyone would know enough of the history to recognize the group at a glance. Extreme discipline, skill, and rigorous training marked their claim to fame. Later, they were subjected to mass execution and forced to disband.

It was a thought that Arc could do without.

"You've come seeking an audience with the Sultan?" the guard out front of the palace looked Arc over with a slight frown. "He is not accepting guests. The captain of the guard has gone missing, and we have tightened security in his absence." Arc tilted his head when the man was so forthcoming with that information. Was that not normally something that they kept within the ranks?

"Actually, it's about that," the mercenary replied. "I've come to offer my aid in the search for your guard captain." The man gave him a skeptical look. Arc held up his hands to show that he meant no harm. "I'm a mercenary, come out this way after hearing about your loss. If there's any way I can help..."

"Ah, I see." Recognition flashed across the guard's eyes at the word mercenary. "I heard about a mercenary from another land," he explained. "From some guards around those parts. You must be Arc." It stunned him when the man said his name, but Tobias knew better than to question how the Cardinal system did things.

"Yeah, that's me," he replied.

"Then I am in your debt, efendim." He bowed low. "Please, follow me. We must speak with the Sultan immediately."

Well, that was easy.