[PP-F2] The Thread of Fate <EaL>

"So do something about it," he responded as she looked up at him through tearful eyes. "If you're afraid, I'll stand right beside you and make sure you don't falter or run away. You don't just deserve answers, you need them. That guy isn't someone who would do something like that without a good reason. There's something really odd about it all."

Do you know what that is?" he asked when she clutched at her chest, wondering at what the painful sensation was. "That's what I felt when I lost my best friend. That's what my mom felt when my dad cheated on her. That's love, Esther," he said, "it's losing someone you care about. I'm not talking that romance garbage, either," he explained. "This is what it feels like to pour your soul into something and have it ripped out. This is the feeling I wanted to avoid ever feeling again, and the feeling that made me into a victim again."

He breathed a harsh breath. "This feeling is my enemy just as much as my rage," it was a baleful admission, but a truthful one. "It's loss that aggrieves the soul, and at times, there are losses that are beyond our control. But things that can be prevented, or things that can be fixed, that's like falling down. All you have to do is get back up."

Arc held out his hand. "So, stand up. If you miss him, we'll find him, and we'll make him understand how you feel. And if he's any kind of man, he'll take responsibility." The mercenary smirked grimly. "If he can't do that, I'll knock him around a little."

"So do something about it"

Arcs words were spoken with such simplicity. Esther was afraid, she was afraid of seeing those hate filled eyes again, she was afraid of Lycan striking her down. Esther was afraid that the children would miss her if she were to die - and that she wouldn't be able to see her father or mother any more. Then, as if knowing exactly what was running through her mind - Arc told her that if she was afraid, he'd ensure that she wouldn't falter or run away. He'd be there to help guide her. Esther slowly sat herself up, straightening her back. She carefully let go of her waist, and wiped her tears away with the back of her hand. Arc was right. There was something odd about it, and Esther was just going to give up and let Lycan go on his merry way.

His next words through her completely off kelter. Love? That's what this feeling was? No...that didn't make sense, she didn't love Lycan. She barely knew him. Was it in the platonic sense? As one would love a friend? That seemed more viable. Arc explained her pain in words that she never could. His words were cold, an admission to pains in his past that made Esther curious - but she wouldn't question them, not now. That wasn't important now. 

Esther slowly stood on shaky legs. " I just...want to be his friend again..." Esther admitted, turning to face Arc. "I want to see him smile, too."

"Let's go see him, then." Arc bent down and grabbed at a lone ball of cotton deftly, only to be denied once more. "I'm sure we'll fare better than I have at finding materials," he added with a smirk.

The failed attempts never deterred him. That was one thing that Arc had going for him. The only real failure was giving up, and he wasn't sure he knew how to do that. He figured that it was a useless skill to have anyway.

"But let's finish up here, first," he said suddenly. "I'd hate to call you out here for help and waste your time."

Since I have to meet minimum requirements for a post, I'll pontificate a bit about what's on Tobias' mind. The fact that Esther is this messed up has him thinking the girl has the hots for Lycan, and maybe she's not even aware of it herself. Arc doesn't want to get into that, so he's not gonna ask. He just knows that they're both sort of his friends, and he wants things to be alright between them.

Also, he's kind of worried about what might have made Lycan act that way. It's really bugging him. He's thinking about how weird it is for Esther to have broken this way, and partially worried someone might have engineered all of this.

But who would do that to a girl who doesn't even have a weapon skill? What would be the point?

ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF DRAGON BALL-

Wait, wrong anime.

ID# 68353 results:

Battle: 2

Craft: 12

Loot: 10 -FAIL

MOB: 4

Edited by Arc

"R-Right, but only if you promise to help me if he decides to try and ah..." she glanced away - "You know....again." She didn't want to say it, she didn't want to say that Lycan attempted to kill her - it hurt her too much, it rested in the pit of her stomach and made her feel sick. Arc suddenly added that the two should finish up colleting materials first.

"Oh...!" Esther turned back toward him, clearly his talk had helped her. "Right, here..." She gestured for him to follow, and lead him to the outskirts of a forest.

ID: 68354  LD: 14 + 4

With a great deal of effort, Esther had managed to pull off a strip of leathery bark. "Ugh..." She wiped her brow, handing it to him. "I should really get Domarus to make me some crafting tools...then material gathering would be easier." She said, dusting off her hands, glancing to the next strip of bark. "How many materials did you want to go for? We should only need a few - just to ensure that when you craft something, even if you fail, you have the ability to try again."  She turned to Arc - and offered him a slight smile. Thankful that she had the distraction of gathering today. Even more so that she was able to vent a little, and work on a plan to help Lycan.

Edited by Esther

"We'll go for just one more, I think," the Mercenary replied. "In the meantime, I'll attempt to craft something so's I can finish the quest quicker. That ought to be smarter than me fuddling around trying and failing to pick cotton, don't you think?" he asked.

Without waiting for an answer, he brought out the material and concentrated on his task. He visualized the needle and thread, took the cotton in hand, and the necessary tools seemed to form as a gilded light in his hand. He did not blink or waver, instead he pierced the material and moved his fingers in an expert way, one which he was uncertain he had ever learned before.

The material responded instantly.

In a flash of bright yellow, it shifted and transformed. The resulting item materialized in his hands, a finely crafted shawl of uncommon quality. "I did it," he murmured. The needle and thread disappeared into his inventory, and Arc stared blankly down at his creation.

"That... was infinitely easier than collecting the bloody things..."

He looked around, paused, and dismissed the item to his inventory. It'd turned out a cool, blue color.

Arc creates "Azure Shawl"

ID# 68370 results:

Battle: 8

Craft: 10 - SUCCESS! Uncommon Item crafted.

Loot: 17

MOB: 4

ID: 68373  LD: 15 + 4 = 19  Success

Arc suggested they go for one more, and Esther gave a nod, placing her foot on the bottom of the tree trunk she reached as high as she could - and attempted to peel back another strip of bark. With great force, she was successful, as the last part came off, she stumbled backward. Almost falling over. Esther quickly straightened herself, and turned to see what Arc was doing. He looked shocked, and was holding a bright, blue shawl. "Oh hey..." Esther peeked over his shoulder. "That shawl looks like it'd match the hair of that really lovely Artisan I met..." Esther paused, shifting the large material to one hand so she could fish the small canvas painting out with the other. 

Esther was sure she had shown him once, but she was showing him again. "See..." It was a small painting by Birdie - of a magnifying glass. "I adore it. So much love went into it." Esther quickly put it back away, and urged Arc to take the shred of bark she obtained. "Here. I don't want this. I'm here material hunting for you." She draped it over his shoulder.

It was clear she was in much higher spirits than earlier. 

"Next time we see each other...we'll get Lycan back, right?" Esther asked. "Even if he's kicking and screaming?"

Edited by Esther

Arc listened as the girl talked about someone she'd met- an Artisan with blue hair. Who could that be? He tilted his head and thought about people who he had met who might match that description, but only one came to mind.

He looked over the intricately painted piece and found himself fascinated. What a beautiful effort, down to the strokes on canvas. "Remarkable," he muttered.

He was sure he'd never met this artist, because he would not have forgotten. Ah, well. "I don't know any Artisans, I think," he murmured. "But... I do know a girl with blue hair what might like it."

She draped some wood over his shoulder comically. Arc dismissed it into his inventory. "Yeah, we'll get him back," the Mercenary replied."That's not even a question."

"Oh?" Esther grinned. "Wouldn't it be funny if its the same person? If it is - please give her my thanks - and tell her I adore looking at her handiwork." Esther commented, she didn't see many blue haired players either - an for all she knew, they were the same person. What was more interesting however - was the tone of familiarity Arc used when he reffered to this blue haired player.

Esther nodded. "Right. I'm glad. If you don't mind. Tomorrow, after I get back from my familiar quest. I would very much like to meet up, and we can find Lycan." She lowered her gaze. "Eheh. I wonder - if he'll like my choice of a familiar. I'm not 100% certain on what I want, but I know...I know what floor I want one from." Esther shook her head. She was babbling again. "S-sorry. Arc." She looked up at him one last time before they'd separate.

"Thank you. For helping me, for being a good friend. I appreciate it."

Esther held out her hand for him to shake - then - they'd part ways.

She'd see him tomorrow.

And they'd find Lycan