{OP-F1-NK} A Swordsman's Beginning (COMPLETE)

Nodding, Ourian takes the hint that Bongartz gave him to lead the way and starts walking towards the lake, which was about twenty minutes away. with any luck, they would find something relatively quickly. If anything, there was always Horunka Village, which was a good place to camp for the night. 

As they approached the lake, Ourian didn't find any wolves right away, but he did find something that he felt would be both an interesting, yet potentially dangerous challenge: The Tusk Boar. 

Thinking quickly, Ourian spots a boulder and holds a hand out and leads them to the boulder, which was large enough to provide cover for both himself and Bongartz easily so long as they sat or were kneeling. 

"Okay... so I am going to make this one your call... There is a boar over there, but it's not just any boar... It's a rare spawn called the Tusk Boar. Its health is pretty beefy and its damage is pretty high... We can leave now, or if you feel like we are good to give it a try, we can give it a fight. They say that sometimes it can drop something pretty nice for beginners... however, if you do decide you want to fight it... you will have to do EXACTLY as I say, you got me?" Ourian asked, trying to convey the danger of the situation. This was a monster that could kill Bongartz in two shots if this played out wrong. Ourian would definitely have to lead in the fight to catch its attention and generate enough hate to keep it focused on him. If his HP started to get too low, however, they would have to retreat. "And I mean, EXACTLY what I say. If I tell you to jump in and attack, do it. If I tell you to back off, do it! If I tell you to run and leave me behind, DO... IT..."

Spoiler

+1 Energy recovered (7/8)

Edited by Ourian
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take a deep breathe and think over the situation, A wolf or normal boar I wouldn't be too worried of with Ourian here, but a Rare Spawn? It would be difficult and nowhere near easy, but I could really test myself as long as he thinks we could handle it.

"If you're sure we have a chance at taking this thing down, I'm wanting to give it a shot. You have my word that I'll obey your instructions, no matter what happens. Though this will be difficult, I'm sure together this thing won't be too much an issue, considering that wolf died quickly against your Sword Skill. If I can pull one off, it should be pretty decent itself."

I place a hand on my hilt, for the battle know here before us, not what we were expecting, but perhaps what we needed. As I look into the darkening sky again, I can only hope that the battle is over quickly, I don't want to be caught out after night falls, or it would be one of the longest nights of my life.

Taking a deep breath, Ourian steels himself for the hardest part... the part where he would have to face it solo for a bit... It wasn't going to be easy, but he needed to make sure it would focus on him and him alone.

"Okay... if you are sure, then here's the plan: First, I'm gonna rush in and fight it and get a couple decent hits in on it. Once I generate enough hate to keep me as the target, jump in. This thing has the power to actually deal lethal damage in two shots to a new player, so do not come in until I tell you to. If you start getting close to my hate, back off and don't attack. Also, in case you didn't know, Hate is like Aggro in other MMOs. Whoever has the most will be the target of that spawn. For each successful attack or Sword Art combo, it generates one Hate, two if its a critical." Ourian instructed, unsheathing his sword and getting ready to charge.

"Once you count three hate, run in. If your hate is only one below mine, move. I can take more of its hits because of my armor skill." He instructed once more before rushing in and running towards the boar.

(OoC: Combat will begin on my next post. Good luck, Bongartz.)

I unsheathe my sword, and place it in the ground in front of me, taking a deep breath. 

*This is it Jordan, that wolf was practice, now here is your test. Don't screw this up, both of our lives are on the line here.*

"Very well, I'll stay behind the boulder, and at 3 Hate, I'll jump in with my own attacks. Let's make quick work of this thing, I don't want to be caught out at night. Try not to take too much damage, it may take longer for it to kill you, but the longer the fight drags on, the more chances it has. On your ready."

The fire of determination burns in my eyes, and I speak without hesitation or fear. I made this choice, so now it's my own to claim, and I can't let myself doubt or have second thoughts. It's time to fight to keep my promise, and I can't lose, not with what all is at stake.

Nodding his agreement to Bongartz, Ourian rushed in and trained his sword's tip at the boar's flank, hoping to catch it off guard as his sword glowed green. Luckily, it didn't notice his approach.

"Snake Bite!" Ourian shouted as he pierced the giant boar's hind leg, then pulled the blade out, rotating on his foot and slashing down and to the right, then stopping his spin and reversed his swing to deliver a final slash up and to the left before leaping back and assuming his stance, keeping the tip of his blade pointed at the boar, hilt at shoulder level, left foot forward and his left hand alongside the flat of the blade as if guiding it towards his target. It was a successful first hit and managed to get a good chunk of its health gone, about twenty five percent if he had to guess. If they could keep at it like that, they had a good chance at ending this quick.

Two... He thought, counting the hate he just generated. Ourian knew that with one more successful attack, Bongartz would charge in to assist as instructed. He just hoped that he would listen and back off once his hate got too high...

(OoC: Tusk Boar meets Loot Drop standards of HP= highest level player's HP/2 and a base damage of 10.)

Stance

Spoiler

ID# 74565 results:

Battle: 9 (Critical)

Craft: 2

Loot: 13

MOB: 6 - 1 (Fail)

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 80/80
Energy: 5/8 (-3)
Damage: 2
Mitigation: 3
Evasion: +1

Bongartz
HP: 20/20
Energy: 2/2

Tusk Boar
HP: 31/40 (-9)
Damage: 10
Hate: Ourian [2] --- Bongartz [0]

Battle Log:
> Ourian deals 9 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Snake Bite (3x1) + Crit.

Edited by Ourian

I smile to myself, as I watch Ourian's Sword Skill take down almost a quarter of the Boar's HP, and lightly chuckle. After watching him demolish that wolf a little while ago, I had no fear that he would really be hurt this encounter, especially after this opening blow.

*The boar may hit hard, but if it doesn't connect, it's damage is a moot point. I may not need to even really wait for the 3 Hate, but I really don't want to go in and deviate from the plan, he had a sneak attack, but now it's a fair fight. Let's wait and see how things continue. The next attack Ourian lands, is when I jump in. Don't miss.*

As I continue to watch, I grab the hilt of my blade, now in the ground, and pull it back out, just waiting now to run forward at the Boar's flank, to try to hurt it as much as possible. We need to kill this thing before it gets too much later, but I must restrain for now.

Spoiler

ID# 74567 results:

Battle: 2 (Fail)

Craft: 7

Loot: 18

MOB: 6-1 (Fail)

Circling around the boar, who was now giving Ourian its undivided attention, Ourian made sure that the flank of the boar was facing the boulder and Bongartz. For a few seconds, they faced off, but that was short lived when the Tusk Boar, which was obviously more impatient than the wolves, charged at Ourian and tried to jab him with its tusks. reacting quickly, Ourian swings his sword down and pushes the flat of the blade to make a makeshift springboard and pushed himself away and out of its line of sight. It quickly turned around and repeated, only this time, Ourian swung his sword at it and watched as it bounced off its raised tusk, shooting sparks as the blade and tusk collided. Leaping back, Ourian resumed his stance and awaited the next move.

"Now THIS is a fight... bring it on, Pork Chop!" Ourian taunted as he twisted his hand and taunted the boar to attack by waving it towards him before returning his hand to its original position.

Spoiler

Ourian
Energy: 5/8 (-1)

Bongartz

Tusk Boar
HP: 31/40

Battle Log:
> Ourian deals 9 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Snake Bite (3x1) + Crit

Edited by Ourian

Gripping my sword in anticipation, I watch the Boar and Ourian continue to fight, just waiting for the next attack from Ourian to hit. I almost dart forward as Ourian's blade connects with the boar's tusk, but I stop myself as I see the hp bar hasn't moved, meaning the blow wasn't a damaging one, which might not affect Hate, nor has Ourian called out to me to enter the fray.

*Come on, come on. Ourian, land a hit on the bloody thing, I want to come in, we can't be out here for too much longer, and I want to fight, I hate sitting on the sidelines.*

I quickly shake my head against my thoughts, taking a deep breathe to calm myself.

*Jordan, calm down. Getting antsy isn't going to help either of you take this thing out, it'll only lead to problems. Keep a clear head, and don't let yourself be overcome by your emotions.*

I continue to watch the combat, hand tightly wrapped around the sword, just waiting for the right moment to run to assistant.

Spoiler

ID# 74568 results:

Battle: 3 (Fail)

Craft: 4

Loot: 10

MOB: 3-1 (Fail)

This is getting us nowhere... I need to hit the damn thing! Ourian thought as he, once again, failed to execute a proper attack on the beast as it charged him once again. This time, Ourian ran straight for it instead of waiting for it to charge. As he got close, he leaped to the side and attempted a horizontal slash across the pig's gut, however, it leaped away from him as well and prevented the attack from connecting. Before he had a chance to catch his breath, the Boar attempted to pin Ourian to the ground. Ourian, however, leaped up and jumped off of the boar's head to get away and continued to evade its attacks. Although he did have a decent Mitigation, he did not want to be on the business end of that boar's tusks...

"Damn... for a fatty you really can move, huh Porky Pig?" Ourian taunted, still trying to keep its attention focused on him and seemed to be succeeding.

Spoiler

Ourian
Energy: 5/8 (-1)

Bongartz

Tusk Boar
HP: 31/40

Battle Log:
> Ourian deals 9 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Snake Bite (3x1) + Crit

Edited by Ourian

As I continue to watch, I place my sword back into the ground, sighing. Ourian had the advantage at first with the Sneak Attack, but now they can't seem to land a hit on each other, so it's only a matter of time until something happens. Sighing, I just continue to watch, though, trying to decide if, irregardless of the next attack hitting or missing, if I want to come in anyway, just to try to finish this thing quick, but if I do, I could die. Decisions need to be made, and I may need to make a big one here soon.

*They keep going back and forth. If Ourian fails one more time to connect, I'm charging in, maybe I can break this impasse. If Ourian happens to make his next attack land, well, that would merely be great as I would have his permission to charge in at that time, instead of being impatient. This is taking too long, we need to kill this thing now! I can't risk Ourian falling here on a fight I chose to pick.*

Gripping the hilt tightly, I prepare myself to charge in, I will make every blow count, and I will take this thing down!

Spoiler

ID# 74571 results:

Battle: 9 (Critical)

Craft: 8

Loot: 1

MOB: 9 (Critical)

Side stepping the boar, Ourian was starting to notice its patterns for attacking and realized that it was, indeed, more primitive than the wolves in the fact that all it kept on doing was constantly charge at him in a straight line. It's speed, however, was the issue. Taking that into account, Ourian decided to wait once again, only this time he was sure that his tactic would work. Charging up another Sword Art, he waited patiently as his sword glowed green once again...

Suddenly, the boar rushed him, as he had hoped, and Ourian leaped up, allowing the boar to position itself right under him as he unleashed his attack.

"Sit still, Ham Bone! Snake Bite!" Ourian shouted as he thrust the blade into its thick skull, then pulled the blade out before leaping to the side in a spinning slash, slashing it twice as he landed gracefully to the side of the boar and shouldered his blade.

"Let's go, Bongartz! Give em hell!" Ourian shouted over his shoulder to the boulder where Bongartz was, no doubt, becoming impatient. He turned back to the boar and waved a hand to motion it to keep fighting as it squealed and thrashed in pain. Immediately to the taunt, it rushed at Ourian in a frenzy and managed to catch Ourian off guard, jabbing him in the gut with its tusk before tossing him aside. Getting back to his feet, he glared the boar down, who was squealing with delight at finally landing a blow.

"Oink Oink to you to, fatass. Shut up and fight!" He snapped, smiling as he resumed his stance and prepared to fight again. 

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 72/80 (-8)
Energy: 3/8 (-3)

Bongartz

Tusk Boar
HP: 22/40 (-9)
Hate: Ourian [4] --- Bongartz [0]

Battle Log:
Turn 1> Ourian deals 9 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Snake Bite (3x1) + Crit
Turn 2> ---
Turn 3> ---
Turn 4> Ourian deals 9 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Snake Bite (3x1) + Crit
     |----> Tusk Boar deals 8 damage to Ourian upon successful Critical

Edited by Ourian
Spoiler

Battle: 3 <Fail>

Loot: 15

Mob: 3

*Finally, he hit, it's time for me to go in, and I'm going to go in running.*

I charge forward towards the combat, glad to finally participate, my sword trailing behind me in my hands as I attempt to make a wide slash in front of me to hit the boar, when, to my dismay, I misjudged the distance and swung a tad early, in my excitement. I jump back away, and get into a defensive fighting stance, to see what it will do next, and where it's weak point might be.

*Dang, too soon. Revealed myself and failed to make the first attack matter. Very well, I won't let it happen again.*

"My apologies, Ourian, I got too impatient and excited. Not a fan of sitting on the sidelines, and I let it get to me. Let's finish it off together, now."

Now, the boar in between the two of us, it would have to choose who to charge, and who to leave it's flank open to. With the Hate in place, it should target Ourian, allowing me a decent chance to hit it this time, I shouldn't misjudge the distance here, at this range.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

ID# 74582 results:

Battle: 4 (Fail)

Craft: 4

Loot: 16

MOB: 9 (Critical)

"Remember to keep yourself calm... making you wait was also a test to see if you could remain calm in a situation like this." Ourian told Bongartz who admitted to his impatience. Though, he was not angry... he was actually rather pleased that the new player had decided to admit his flaw and was willing to keep going through with the plan. Dashing forward, Ourian initiated the attack and slashed at the boar, who blocked with its tusk and instead of backing off like it did last time, it pushed forward, causing Ourian to lose his balance and get jabbed in the leg.

"NGH! Bastard!" Ourian swore as the pain shot up his leg as he leaped back and resumed his stance. This thing was tough, but he was gonna prove he was tougher and he wasn't going to let Bongartz die.

This person is relying on me... looking to me as a mentor... I gotta make sure I don't get us in over our heads... He thought as he tried to rethink their strategy a little to help end things quickly as he noticed that the sun had begun to descend. They had an hour at most to get back to town, which meant they only had a good fifteen to twenty minutes to finish this rare spawn off.

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 64/80 (-8)
Energy: 3/8 (-1)

Bongartz

Tusk Boar
HP: 22/40 
Hate: Ourian [4] --- Bongartz [0]

Battle Log:
Turn 1> Ourian deals 9 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Snake Bite (3x1) + Crit
Turn 2> ---
Turn 3> ---
Turn 4> Ourian deals 9 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Snake Bite (3x1) + Crit
Turn 5> Tusk Boar deals 8 damage to Ourian upon successful Critical

Edited by Ourian
Spoiler

Battle: 10 (True Crit)

Craft: 6

Mob: 6

"I understand, Ourian, 

As I speak, Ourian darts forward to attack, and as he backs away, slightly injured from the tusk, I quickly slash at it's hind legs, truly enjoying the red slash on the monster telling me I struck true this time. I watch it's HP drop into the yellow zone, and smile at Ourian, allowing myself a slight chuckle.

*It's about time, and it seems as if I dealt some good damage to the thing, just hope it's anger causes it to make mistakes, like in the real world.*

"I know it's still early in the fight to be laughing, but now I've hit it, and took it's HP into the yellow zone, I feel a little better about my initial mistake, though I still don't want to repeat it. Let's finish this quickly, night is almost upon us."

I step back once more, readying my blade for my next attack, enjoying this fight even more.

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 64/80 (-8)
Energy: 3/8 (-1)

Bongartz
Energy: 1/2 (-1)

Tusk Boar
HP: 18/40 (-4)
Hate: Ourian [4] --- Bongartz [1]

Battle Log:
Turn 2> ---
Turn 3> ---

-Bongartz deals 4 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Critical

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

ID# 74586 results:

Battle: 3 (Fail)

Loot: 20

MOB: 10 (True Critical)

As he watched Bongartz get into the heat of battle, he couldn't help but feel good for him. It was his first real fight and he was doing pretty good. Now he just had to keep his part of the deal and help finish it off.

"Good. Keep it up, but keep anything you have to say short and sweet. Don't want to get distr-AGH!" Ourian exclaimed as he felt something pierce his arm. Looking over, it was the boar and it seemed to take advantage of him complimenting Bongartz. Damn it, I took my eyes off it again... I was careless! He thought bitterly as he leaped back and away. He was thankful that it still had its attention on him, but he would prefer to finish this quickly. He knew he couldn't take too much more abuse or else it could spell not only game over for him, but game over for Bongartz as well.

"Adding on to our plan. If my health drops near twenty five, we haul ass and try to escape it. With the odds in our favor, it should be easy for us to do so. We should be able to get him by then, but it's a worst case scenario." Ourian instructed as he massaged his arm before resuming his stance.

(OoC: Remember, Critical Attacks generate 2 Hate instead of 1, Bongartz.)

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 55/80 (-9)
Energy: 4/8

Bongartz
Energy: 1/2

Tusk Boar
HP: 18/40
Hate: Ourian [4] --- Bongartz [2]

Battle Log:
Turn 2> ---
Turn 3> ---
     |----> Bongartz deals 4 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful True Critical
Turn 6> Tusk Boar deals 9 damage to Ourian upon successful True Critical

Edited by Ourian
Spoiler

Battle: 4

Craft: 5

Loot: 7

Mob: 4

I attempt to slash at the boar again, but this time it anticipated the swing, and easily side stepped it, making me hit only empty air.

*Dang it, I need this fight needs to end swiftly, we can't play with this thing.*

I nod at Ourian, as what he says made sense, there's no point in risking our lives to that extent, and if we need to retreat, we'd need to run quickly. I don't know much of the layout, as I haven't really looked at the maps, so I can only hope there's a town or safe place nearby that can provide us shelter.

"Very well, though let's hope we kill it sooner rather than later."

Taking Ourian's advice, I merely ready my blade, and hold my stance, watching the movements of the boar, so I can make sure I hit with my next attack. I refuse to let this thing best us in combat, even if I need to take some heat myself.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

ID# 74591 results:

Battle: 10 (True Critical)

Craft: 9

MOB: 4-1 (Fail)

"Agreed... Let's finish this swiftly..." Ourian said in a grim tone, now becoming more serious as he took a deep breath to calm himself and help him focus. He was about to try something, but he didn't know if it would work or not... Normally, the Sword Art guides him through the attack, but he wondered if he could alter it slightly to suit his combat style... Charging up another Sword Art, he had to make sure this one made its mark... He won't be able to use another one for some time... If it worked, another good hit or two after that would put the beast down... If he failed, they were in for a long fight...

Okay Ourian... think... it likes moving in a linear motion, making its attacks easy to predict, but the thrashing bit as you try to dodge makes it unpredictable and hard to counter... It's also fast despite its size... What I need to do is keep it from moving its head... Then I can attack with ease... But what can I use... He calculated, searching for a way to get above it. Finally, the answer came to him in the form of the boulder they used to hide behind not long ago. 

"Back me up! If this works, it should have a hard time evading your next attack!" Ourian said as he charged the boar and at the last minute, drew his sword flat in front of him and pushed off against the boar's tusks, then began to run towards the boulder. Looking back, he notices that the boar took the bait and got pissed off from his fake attack and gave chase. Stopping in front of the boulder, he waited for it and finished charging his sword art... only this time, he held the blade behind him and switched it to a back-handed grip. This time, the sword glowed blue.

As the boar got close enough, Ourian leaped up and avoided the tusks, which caught on the boulder so it couldn't retaliate to his jump. Jumping off the boar's head, he unleashed his improvised Sword Art.

"Furious Rush!" He shouted, cleaving one of the boar's tusks with a downward slash, as he landed, he spun on his heel and delivered two spinning upward slashes, lifting the boar into the air a bit. Pushing himself back, Ourian called out to Bongartz.

"Now's your chance! Help me finish him off!" Ourian commanded as he got into his stance hopefully for the last time.

Spoiler

Ourian
HP: 55/80 
Energy: 2/8 (-3)

Bongartz

Tusk Boar
HP: 6/40 (-12)
Hate: Ourian [6] --- Bongartz [2]

Battle Log:
Turn 2> ---
Turn 3> ---
Turn 7> Ourian deals 12 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Furious Rush (3x1) + True Critical

Spoiler

Ourian has made a Sword Art variant: Furious Rush

Furious Rush
Snake Bite variant
3x1 Sword Art
3 Energy consumption
     A three slash combo where one wields the weapon back-handed, attacking in a leaping attack on a target with a downward slash, then following up with two upward spinning slashes. 

(OoC: To Admin or PST who looks over this topic. If making a variant of a Sword Art is not permitted, please send me a message and I will correct the post to change it back to Snake Bite and will refrain myself from doing so in other RPs)

Edited by Ourian
Spoiler

Battle: 9 (Crit)

Craft: 10

Loot: 9

Mob: 5

I saw Ourian use a Sword Art to knock the boar slightly in the air, and knew what I could do. I jump up and charge my own Sword Art to bring the boar crashing into the ground.

*Hmm, I haven't really tried a Sword Art yet, but it can't be that difficult. Ourian seems to call out the names of them when he uses them, so I suppose I should do the same.*

"Vertical Slash!" I yelled as my Sword started to glow red, and I slammed the blade across the boar, bringing it down to it's knees and as it started to stand back up, I jumped backward, readying my blade once more.

"Well, that was definitely something new, I like these Sword Skills, and I think the red matches my outfit pretty well. Now then, though, it shouldn't take much more to finish this off, it's hp is almost gone. Let's end it mercifully.

Spoiler

Ourian
Energy: 2/8 (-3)

Bongartz
Energy: 1/2 (-1)

Tusk Boar
HP: 3 (-3)
Hate: Ourian [6] --- Bongartz [4]

Battle Log:
Turn 2> ---
Turn 3> ---
Turn 7> Ourian deals 12 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Sword Art: Furious Rush (3x1) + True Critical

|----> Bongartz deals 3 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Critical: Vertical (1x1)

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

ID# 74599 results:

Battle: 7 (Hit)

Craft: 8

Loot: 2

MOB: 2-1 (Fail)

Mercy, huh... Ourian thought as he stared at the boar, its eyes full of hate towards the two players that brought it down to its knees despite its power... To make sure it couldn't retaliate, Ourian rushes in ans sweeps low with a horizontal slash, striking its legs and making it collapse to the ground once more. backing up from it, Ourian sticks his sword into the ground and watches it, resting his hands on the pommel of the sword.

"If you want to give it mercy, be my guest... I'm too drained to put it down with one strike..." Ourian admitted as he bent over slightly to catch his breath. Looking over to his energy gauge, it did indeed show that he was low on energy. 

Just one more good swing should do it... Come on, bongartz... take this opportunity to strike it now... He thought as he continued to rest, still keeping a firm grip on the pommel should he need to rush in and attack again...

Spoiler

Ourian
Energy: 2/8 (-1)

Bongartz

Tusk Boar
HP: 1 (-2)
Hate: Ourian [7]--- Bongartz [4]

Battle Log:
Turn 2> ---
Turn 3> ---
     |----> Bongartz deals 3 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful Critical: Vertical (1x1)
Turn 8> Ourian deals 2 damage to Tusk Boar upon successful attack

Edited by Ourian
Spoiler

Battle: 2 (Fail)

Craft: 11

Loot: 18

Mob: 2

I go to step forward, to stab downward to finish the boar off, once and for all, but it was merely foxing, and easily evaded my blow. It looks directly at Ourian, and it's obvious it's not going down until we can finish it completely.

*Seriously, doesn't it know it's defeated? There's no point in it trying to fight anymore, but it is just a program, despite how real it looks, I suppose. Still, my adrenaline is fading, this fight needs to just end already.*

I jump back, seeing it back on it's feet and ready to keep the fight going, and merely sigh.

"Ourian, be careful, there's still some fight left in this guy."

I ready my sword, prepared to go in again if need be, but feeling drained myself now that the majority of the combat is over, I hope Ourian has enough energy in him to land the final blow, I don't even really mind if he gets the loot, he did do all this just to teach me anyway, it'd be fair.

Edited by Bongartz