[F4 - PP] Reforging old ties

Ah the 4th floor, the place she used to call home. A nice little slice of frozen heaven just for herself as many despised to wander around these parts due to the extreme cold that this fairy tale-like environment would greet them with. But that did not apply to her, having roved for quite a bit around these parts... such that she had more than 80% of the floor's map data, even in her previous summer-ish attire with white skirt and sleeveless top she didn't mind the cold. 

Today she was at a inn located outside town... near the place where she once called home. Looking through the window she could almost spot the log house she spend so much time crafting, away from the front lines. But she wasn't here to reminisce on that particular side of her past, her target today was a person well know player known now on the battlefield. But as it was with Calrex, this blonde had meet her when she was but starting off. She wanted to have a little chat with her to see how she was going...

Not too long ago she send @Zandra a message with a invitational message for tea. 'To mend broken ties' she put in her message, now laughing at the concept. Honestly she wasn't sure what she wanted from Zandra, maybe to check stuff out... idle chat.... maybe casually ask if people not directly associated with her victim got word of his demise. She let out a small giggle as she remembered the execution, leaning her head towards the entrance to see when her friend arrives.

I walked around in my store, humming on a song from the life before SAO. Its title was Crossing fields made by the singer Risa with artist name LiSa. Even since I didnt understand japanese that good, it was one of my favourite song. Just as I was going to take a sip of the glass with cold water, I got abrupted by a sound. The sound when a mail arrives at the inbox. Almost mechanically, the hand went up and swiped in the air, opening the mail. As I saw who have sent it, a ligthning struck me and rage started to bubble. As my eyes red the words of the metter, the anger rose which each word. "Aaaahhh!!!" I screamed when done reading. How could she? The water glass flew thru the air and shattered at the wooden wall. What was her intention? A table was flipped to the side, crushing a chair from its sheer weight.

I breathed heavily as I red thru the letter a second time. Shoke the head. "Im orobably going to regret this." I said out loud to myself. But even if I hated that woman, I wanted to meet her and say a thing or two to the blonde. I left the house and slammed the door behind me. Heavy paanting as I walked with quick and steady steps.

Ten minutes or so later, I exits the warp gate on the floor that once was my home. Here, I had crafted a ton of different potions and crystals. My hand went up and swiped thetter into view to check where we should meet. It was at an inn that I had visited severaö time when living down here. A few minutes later I entered the Inn in question. It didnt took me long to spot the spearwoman. I walked over to her and sat down on a chair, putting on a fake smile. "Heya Ariel. What do you want to talk about that wont work thru PM?'

Snow had gently began falling outside as the blonde took a sip of one of the two wine glasses that were on the table. Next laid a jug of red wine, halfway emptied by the blonde as she had to fill her time somehow while waiting for Zandra to arrive. The blonde was flirting with some waiter, asking about some extra service... making the NPC lad put on a complicated expression as he didn't knew how to reply. While she was messing around with him, the door swung open and revealed a dark clad, brunette, long-haired beauty. She looked at her from top to bottom and got a eerie vibe from her, but decided to ignored it as she listened to Zandra's inquiry: "PMs are nice and all, but I prefer to talk to people face to face. At least people I regard as close to me." She also showed a smile, partially genuine but still... a broad smile. "I just want us to chat a little. We never have seen each outside of a boss fight or some kind of event. Hikoru started to ignore me lately so you'd say.... I feel kind of lonely." she commented, her words being true at heard but used for the wrong reasons, to make the girl comfortable so that she'd open up to the blonde. To have her drop her guard bit by bit in order to gather intel.

My crimson eyes stared into the pair of silver with a dark look. I grit my teeths. "Lonely you say? Have Hikoru start to ignore you?" I couldnt even look at the lioness without my heart beating increase. "Poor little Ariel. Just for your information. Youre not getting less lonely by killing people. If you kill people, then theu wont be able to be near you to make you feel unlonely." I looked at the glass of wine and then looked back at the blondie. "Wine? What is this all of a sud..." I stopped before I slide in on a sidetrack. I let out a deep sigh and looked at the floor with a sad look on my face. "You know, I still cant believe what you have done. If I havent seen it with my own eyes and knew about your little purchase, I'd never believe it. But why Ariel? Why did you kill Lowenthal?" I looked up and met those silver eyes, was hoping to find some kind of understanding in them.

The blondes facial expressions changed fast in a relatively small amount of time, while Zandra was addressing her: First she cocked her head slightly to the side, as she was curious as to why the brunette wasn't looking in her eyes; then she frowned when she sensed that she was being mocked. However none of that mattered as Zandra dropped the bomb and mentioned something she shouldn't have any knowledge about. The blonde's right fist tightened as she started to take deep breaths and continued to listen to her. She clicked her tongue when she saw that the wine jug got tossed to the side. "Tsk, what a waste..." she muttered as she intertwined her fingers in front of her mouth while resting her elbows on the table.

Her index nervously tapping the oposite hand, underneath her nose until Zandra spilled all that was on her mind; ending with a question: "Why you ask?" she replied with a grin. She the made a small change to her posture, resting her cheek on her right hand while with her left one's fingertips dances across the HUD panel. She'd materialize on the table, between them, a single crimson item with a inverted V that appeared to be blood splattered.

"I have no clue how you know about that, nor do I have any intention of denying it at this point." She then placed her left hand on top of it and gently tapped on it with her index. "For the rest of the world, this would be the reason. His unique... the one that truly belonged to me along with all his other belongings." her mirror like eyes showed no emotion, no regret, no penitence... nothing but a blank stare that would send chills to most people as they only would reflect Zandra's furious crimson ones.

"But, if you ask nicely, I may tell you a special reason." she added after a considerable pause, this time a grin appearing on her expression. The blonde would raise her hand to signal the waiter she talked with earlier. The boy brought a new jug of wine and placed it on the table.

My eyebrows rose as the blonde asked why I asked why she had done what she did to one of my better friends here in this world. At the same, she also materialised an item infront of them on the table. My eyes automatically went down to the object whatever it was. I didn’t recognized the item, nor saw what it was. It was something crimson with a, V? What could that mean. After some moments my eyes went up from the crimson thing to the pair of silverglobes. What she said next made me disappointed, she wouldn’t deny it, that probably means she don’t regret it either. Or does she. I searched in her face and eyes any kind of regret, but the only thing she saw was a blank stare. It seemed the item between them was unique item that had belonged to my previous guild leader. This unique item was the reason she killed him, to the rest of the world, was there another reason?

I sighed. ‘’You wonder why I wants to know? Because I want to hear you saying that you regret all this, saying that you didn’t knew what you was doing and wish you could turn back time to make it undone. But as I look at you know, if you said that I think you would be lying.’’ The last sentence I said with a sad voice.

‘’How I know it? Well, there is no reason to keep it a secret to you.’’ After a short pause I continued ‘’To make a long story short, I was going to visit Lowe when I spotted you. Just when I was going ot greet you, he appeared and I didn’t wanted to abrupt since the mood seemed to be tence. When you killed him, I froze on the place and couldn’t move, just watched as you left, nothing behind you as his body was gone.’’

My eyes tried to pierce Ariels barrier to red her face when she said she would tell me a special reason, if I asked nicely. But I couldn’t break through it. Better play along then. ‘’Okay miss Ariel. Could you please tell me the other special reason miss?’’ I said excessively kindly tone in my voice, clapping my hands together like when praying.

'So that's how she knew... I got to keep a more watchful eye on my surrounding, in the future.' thought the blonde as she quietly listened to Zandra. When she mentioned regret, the blonde's expression changed; as she was trying hard to stifle a laugh, hearing her until the end. Her plea was the last drop as once she heard that, she burst into a healthy laughter that would get the attention of more than half the people that were in the Inn. Her laughing fit continued for quite a while as the blonde, after calming a bit, slapped the table and looked at Zandra. Her previous blank expression gained a vicious tone, with a grin that seemed to reach from ear to ear; overall the blonde having a ecstatic expression as the effect of the little potion she had earlier was starting to take effect. She didn't took a full dose but it was still enough to have her lose most of her moral restrictions.

She enjoyed the brunette's sad expression so she pressed on that subject: "Regret???" she leaned over the table and brought her face closer to Zandra's, invading her personal space as she whispered in her ear: "I enjoyed taking that **ck's life with my own two hands. If any, the only regrets I have are that I didn't take my sweet time to have him suffer longer or that he wasn't enough of a coward to beg me to spare his life." she then returned to her previous position on her seat while continuing to laugh. "But I doubt the next ones will be that mentally strong." she continued to laugh like a madman until she calmed down and looked in Zandra's eye with a twisted expression.

She clapped 3 times and continued: "Awww that is cute, you trying to make me fall for you?" she asked in a half serious tone. She then poured the content of the new jug into two cups and raised one of them. "A toast, for the damn soul of Lowenthal... may others join him soon so that he won't be lonely." she then gulped the content in one go.

My face suddenly turned warm as the lioness started laughing hysterically. My emotions started to bubble up. Thou I didn’t knew what they was. Anger? Shame? Joy? Or something else? I just felt my breathing increase. But what she said after her laugh-attack, made me certain if what kind of feeling it was that was bubbling up inside me. It was anger, or rage. My eyes turned darker as I suddenly rose, the chair falling back by the sudden movement with a bang. I ignored it but it pulled several pair of eyes towards our table again. I stared at the blonde as my hands closed and opened, closed and opened, and closed. I didn’t knew what to do, it felt like my whole body was going to explode. When I thougth I had reached my limit, the tailor raised a toast.

Without my laft hand slapped the wineglass out of Ariels hand, falling to the floor with a du-dunk and the few drops that was still left coloured the floor. Thou it disaoeared from my mind as soon as it left my point of view. Next I did something I never had thougth I would do, well not against Ariel at least. My right fist flew forward with all my strength and was planted right between her eyes. ‘’Stop talking like that, you disgust me! How can you behave like this, where is the Ariel I knew from before? The Ariel that I exchanged the supply bag with, the Ariel that told me not to spill my real name to anyone I meet?’’ I took a step back and panted heavily from the anger that was still bubbling inside me.

Seemed like her comments hit the spot, the expression on Zandra's face was already changing. Her eyes, those blood colored rubies wanted something, the blonde could tell. And it wouldn't take a genius to see what they wanted. 'Blood' she thought as she grinned her teeth after her glass was violently slapped out of her hand as she would switch her gaze towards it. She was expecting it... but not this soon.. or this direct; she felt a heavy blow to her head as she instinctively clenched her jaws and closed her eyes. It took her by surprise and she was knocked down backwards on the chair. Her back felt another heavy *thud* as it slammed against the ground. At that point she opened her eyes and blinked a couple of times, focusing her gaze on the ceiling until her vision cleared.

She let out a couple of giggles as she looked at Zandra and spoke, apparently ignoring her questions: "You know what Ariel stands for? I don't know if I remember telling you. 'Ariel' is a angel name that can be translated to 'Lion of God' or 'Heart of God'." she said in a low neutral tone, as someone would use when storytelling. "My parents were really into religious naming you know? searched long and hard before giving me this name." She let out a involuntary cough as she noticed her HP bar chipping away but only by a bit... a negligible amount.

"Still, I was a good girl and tried my best to make daddy proud taking up fencing like he did and training to the point of mastering it. At that time, I was the little lioness he wanted, even when I joined SAO and later meet with you for the first time." A grim expression then crossed her face, she meet Zandra's eyes with a loop side smile and continued with a ecstatic tone: "But daddy's little angel got her first taste of blood and she like it so much that she'd fallen; turned into a demon!" A loud laugh followed her statement as she got up and massaged her forehead.

"Looks like you want to play for a bit, good... I'll be your playmate." she then made a few gestures with her left hand and summoned the 3 meter banner she used as a main weapon. "Let's take this outside!" she said as she turned and walked towards the exit.

My anger was still bubbling inside of me, but as the blonde told me what her name, Ariel, was standing for, I couldnt stop a short laugh flying out thru my mouth. ‘’Haha, then maybe you should think about changing name. That isn’t being correct description of you nowadays.’’ As Ariel told me that she was, back before Sword art online, was daddy’s little girl. A girl that made her father proud. But what did she wanted to accomplish by telling me this? It didn’t answered my questions I had asked her moments ago, it seemed she didn’t had any intention to answer them at all. She just was continued on babbling about being an angel, or something like that, and something with lion and blood. In my angered state, I couldn’t really get what she meant, but what she said next I understood without problems. She challenged me to a duel. As the spearwoman was moving out, I took a quick look around the inn, all eyes was looking at me and her. I saw a cup half filled with honey-coloured beer. ‘’Excuse me.’’ I said and took it right infront of the stunned man and emptied it before following the blonde.

As I exits the door, I materialised my new two-handed axe and balanced it on my shoulder, holding the grip with the head of it behind me. My eyes was focused on the back of the woman with long golden hair, my teeths gritting. If we was going to duel, I have to calm down and focus. But that was much easier said and done. I still have emotions bubbling inside me, thou some of them flew out with the punch. I smiled as I thougth about it. That had felt good, when seeing that woman falling down and laying on the ground. But now I wasn’t going to some weak punches, this would be serious. ‘’Well, I guess we taking full loss?’’ I said, keeping my eyes on hers, face neutral.

Some noise followed by footsteps behind her brought the blonde great joy as she stepped outside in the snow. Luckily, the inn was somewhere outside of the safe haven so they didn't need to walk to much; just near a open space with enough space for them to swing their weapons. She stopped at the place she deemed appropriate for them and turned around to face her. To her surprise, not only Zandra but several other pub residents followed her, most likely curious to see a fight between frontliners. She blonde didn't mind the crowd as some seemed to be cheering for her as well.

To Zandra's last question the blonde lioness closed her eyes and shock her head from left to right a couple of times: "No, from what I see you want to vent out and I'm here to oblige. Beside, I'm not that far gone as to kill you; you're a important asset to the front lines: a healer, a damage dealer and even a tank if needed. Lowenthal on the other hand was... expendable, a lazy bum that retreated to his small beach house and organized parties. A disgrace for all us frontliners.... I merely put him where he belonged." she said with a cackle then readied her blade. "But enough chatter, let our blades do the talking!" She sent a half loss duel request to Zandra.

To my surprise, the lioness infront of me didnt wanted to kill me. Since I even asked if we should go full loss duel, but she denied. At first I thougth she didnt wanted to kill me due to our relationship we had before. I thougth that there was some humanity left in her. But she said the reason before I could ask her why. She just saw me as a tool. Something that would help clear the floors and maybe one day reach floor one hundred. That seemed to be the reason why she killed Lowenthal, or rather, a reason why she not decided to spare his life. "You talk about us like we are just weapon, or tools to be used to clear the floors. If you value us by skills to help beat the game, does that mean you are going to do a mass murder on all those that is slacking off and waiting for us to do the dirty work?" I asked as I accepted the duel request. I took a steady grip of my great-axe, feeling the heat that surronded me in my heavy armour with flame enchantments. By some reason, I almost felt more furious when wearing my main armour. It could be that it had some side-effect due to its unique enchantments. After all, it didnt got its name for nothing. Inferno! My mouth turned into a grin behind the mouth guard shaped like the lower jaw of a dragon.

My eyes flicked of at the countdown. 10 seconds left. I lowered my battlestance, bending my knees and tilt slightly forward. My axe was held horisontally, head turned so it only looked like a long staff or pole from infront. 5 seconds. My whole body was prepared to dart forward, towards the blonde female with her long spear. I knew she was as most dangerous on first strike so had to land first blow, hopefully getting her out of balance. 1 second. So it begins. I felt the ground disapear under me as I darted forward same moment the duel began. I almost flew forward, my eyes fixed on Ariel, only on Ariel.

'Good, she's finally starting to use her head.' Thought the blonde as she listened to Zandra, as the 60 seconds countdown went about its own.. completely ignoring their conversation. She continued to look into her crimson eyes where she saw a desire for blood, her blood to be exact. That mere thought send a adrenaline rush throughout the blonde's body alongside an ecstatic feeling. She glanced at the axe in her opponent's hand. It didn't weaver with second doubt, much as Zandra's words. "Wouldn't you do the same? You've been in many boss fights. Do you like risking your life for those lazy f***s that do nothing but idly waste their life simply breathing air in the save haven of the first floor? Its been many years now, nobody is gonna save us! WE have to do it ourselves!" her breath became rugged with excitement. A large grin taking over her expression as she saw Zandra preparing for battle.

The timer ticket 0 and her opponent closed the distance in mere fractions of a second but the blonde didn't falter. She'd recognize the charge sword skill being activated and she knew that it had a linear trajectory. As her senses were sharp as a razor blade, her body felt weightless; just before she would get struck by the black axe she side stepped to the right, making Zandra miss her first shop. But that wasn't all she'd do, the blonde then spun her banner and hit Zandra's exposed back... cursing the flames that went for her from the armor. "Flame Aura... I see you got something good watching your back." she said with a smile.

Just when I was prepared to hear the familiar sound when my axe slashed thru metal and flesh, it never came. Instead all I herd was a swish as it cleaved thru the air, leaving the tailor untouched. ‘Well of course, this was a pvp duel, she knows that the charge skill attacks in a line and could easily dod…’ My fast working brain got abrupted as I felt something against my back. I could feel the metal tip of Ariels long spear pierce thru the black metal of my armor. How could I be so stupid to just rush in without thinking.

My irritation quickly changed into joy and an evil smile as I felt the faint flame around me burst out, burning the lioness but leaving the dragon unharmed. I maybe missed the strike, but at least she wasn’t unharmed, even if it was just a few percent of her health bar. Then I glanced at my own. That’s when my eyes got wider, I knew she did high damage, but this high! Even thru my heavy armor, she had easily taken out ten percent of my health bar. Usually that would take more then just a single simple hit. I focused my eyes on the spear-woman, gritting my teeths. This would be even thougher then I thougt. Thou I was relieved it was only half loss and not full.

But I couldn’t win by just standing there doing nothing. Before she could deal another strike at me, I activated a sword art and attacked her. The great-axe was swung three times, making several red stripes across her body, finishing of with a swing in the air, hitting her with a shock wave. ‘’Well, I thougth that fire enchantments would fit me since all my potions is based on dragons.’’ That wasn’t true thou, but it didn’t mattered now.

This was something she didn't take into account, so the blonde cursed under her breath while glancing at the flames that attacked her. She saw Zandra taking the opportunity and striking her with her axe. It was too late for any evasive maneuvers so the blonde put her vambraces in front of her and withstood the blows. She spied with the corner of her eyes, her health's gradual decline up to a point then thanks to a certain item she reclaimed, it ticked back up for about the same amount that the flames took. "At least I don't have to worry about that." she said as she raised her spear high up, not waiting for Zandra to get another chance to strike her. This time Ariel used a lesser Sword art but this one had a twist. The blonde delivered one strike, the obsidian banner gaining a dark aura as her weapon's fallen damage activated. She stayed true to her ambition and deal a bit of extra damage with that sword art. But the surprise didn't end there, mere moments after she finished executing it, Ariel lowered her blade and grinned. At this time, Zandra should be able to notice the 'Stun' icon net to her HP bar as well as being incapable of moving her body for some time. "If you rely too much on your potions you'll never be better than me." she muttered in Zandra's ear as Ariel stroke the self proclaimed dragon's hair. "You need more technique than raw power. I should know after all." she said with a serious tone.

I saw more of my health get ticked away as the blonde attacked me a second time. Thou this one didnt dealt quite as much damage as the previous. At first it surprised me, was she gonna play nice on me? But when it was time for me to counter attack, I realised why it dealt less damage. She had put on a stun on me. "You little..." I started and finished the sentence with some unfitting words. I could feel Ariels presence right beside me. I grit my teeths as I herd words beeing muttered into my sence of hearing. But when I realised her position my grin turned to a smile. I focused all my strength do oke thing. My head suddenly made a quick move and knocked the blonde."Hehe, maybe. But brute force can be pretty good as well sometimes. And my potions, they are only there to increase my capabilities. Not like I relying on them. As soon as this stun wears off, I will show you real power." in my head I cursed my choice of weapon. The biggest advantage of the axe was AoE arts. But in 1v1, those didnt mattered. Also, I completly lacked the thing called stuns. All I could do was stare at Ariel. Stare at the woman that had killed my spouse's best friend.

Ignoring Zandra's little head bump, the blonde let out a short laugh and resumed a attacking stance. "On that I can agree, but brute force isn't absolute." she raised her spear at the stunned Zandra and with a ecstatic grin she added: "But its so fun to use!" in the next moment she unleashed her most powerful sword against her defenseless back. Its bladed tip thirstily pierced through her black armor as it glowed a ominous crimson color. The blonde couldn't help but show a vicious smile as with each thrust, Zandra's HP also visibly decreased.  "you better hurry up or this duel will end before you get the chance" said the spear woman as she ended her 5 hit destructive combo. She mentally cursed as the flames from the armor once again tried to assault her. "I need to get myself that kind of enhancement.." she muttered as she took a couple of steps back and assumed a defensive stance. No doubt @Zandra will try to use this last chance to give it her best, the blonde couldn't be caught unprepared.

It seemed my little knock with my head was passing almost un-noticed. That did irritated me a little, but I quickly forgot about it completely. At first a satisfied face-expression started to grow on my face when she agreed that brute force was fun sometimes. But before it could show, my eyes went wider. The spear-woman was starting a sword-art. A sword-art I recognized. The most powerful sword-art in SAO at the moment. I felt the tip of her banner pierce thru my heavy armour again and again. From each strike, a new red dot appeared on me. I grit my teeths as I glance at my healthbar. It starts to losing more and more health, much more then from the stun. At least my flames flushed out over Ariel and burned away some of her health. My health was closing in to 50% but @Ariel - The Crowned Lion was almost unharmed. After all, I had only landed one attack on her. And she seemed to regen her health.

I realised I would definitely lose if continue like this. I gulped, it would reduced a forth of my energy, but my health was running away at an to high speed for me to care about that. ‘’Aaaahhh!!!’’ I shouted as I activated my strongest sword art. Thou a lot of energy was drained because of the AoE effect. Ariel, she only got two stripes across her body in the shape of an angled =. I was gonna back away a few steps but realised the longer range would gain Ariel more then me, so I placed my feets steady on the ground, locked my crimson eyes in her silver. ‘’I wont let you take me down blondie.’’ I said in a serious tone.

Edited by Zandra

Seeing Zandra's furious expression only driven the blonde more towards fighting. She smirked yet again, as the flames effect of the dragoness' armor was nullified by her own Spartan Cape's healing effects. As much as she prepared for her retaliation, the fact that Zandra used a AoE attack made it for difficult for it to try and evade or parry it completely. She braced her banner and hold it before her in a attempt to deflect the incoming blows... "too wide" she muttered as she felt a slash against her belly....and another one almost instantly followed. After showing a displeased expression, Ariel smirked as she noticed Zandra's retreat. "Are you finished already?" she muttered and looked at her own HP bar. It took some damage, but not as bad as her opponents.  She exhaled loudly as the AoE attack passed, it was really something fearsome but it was the exact oposite emotion that it sparked inside the blond. 

Once again, she took a firm grip of her weapon and unleashed a furry of thrusts aimed at @Zandra's figure. This attack would most likely finish the duel, if not bring it towards its last steps. "Don't make me repeat myself, I don't want to take you down. You're precious to me and a beacon for the whole front lines. I intend to keep you alive for longer so you can do your role properly." she said with a cackle as her actions seem to be the oposite of her words. 

A short sentence flew out of Ariels mouth. ‘’Are you done already’’. This two swings takes a lot of strength to deliver. Maybe not many strikes, but powerful ones. From her teasing, I gritted my teeths and my eyes turned darker as the blonde prepared her counterattack. As soon as the banners sharp tip pierced my armour, I felt flames blowing out of the black metal. For me, it only felt like a warm summer-wind. But for Ariel, it bursted against her and reduced her health. Thou just a little. I was just going to counterattack when a sign appeared. A deep sigh let out of me, of disappointment or relief, I couldn’t tell. My helth bar was down to just under half. Which meant that Ariel was the victor of the duel. ‘’God damnit Ariel. You maybe beat me this time…’’ I said, held the axe with my right hand, handle leaning towards the ground. Then I streatched forth my right heavily armoured hand.’’…but next time, then you wont have it as easy like this. Was foolish of me to think I could defeat the killer of Lowenthal.’’ I said, to deliver the powerful strikes had eased my anger. @Ariel - The Crowned Lion was like something to hit on to calm down. Even if what she done wasn’t something I would forgive her for, she was still a friend of mine. This was kind of a déjà vu. Something similar have happened before. But that time the girl was black haired even joined the player killer guild. I could only hope Ariel wouldn’t do the same.

Edited by Zandra